PDA

View Full Version : What did you guys think of Mike Mularkey when he was your OC?

Patssuck456
08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I thought he didnt do a bad job for you guys and he had Kordell Stewart, who I think wwas decent.

Atlanta Dan
08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Well, you probably will not find a lot of posters on this board who will agree that Kordell was "decent" but I may be biased when I recall Kordell choking his way through 2 AFC championship games and bursting into tears on the sidelines during a 1998 game in Tampa.

But I digress. I recall Mularkey had a lot of imaginative play calling when he was in Pittsburgh, running gadget plays at least as often as the Steelers now do under Wiz. However, I believe Mularkey got away from the running game more than Cowher would have liked in his later years as offensive coordinator (I particularly recall a loss in a Jets game played in the snow in New York in 2003 where the Steelers persisted in passing) and that Cowher's return to emphasizing the run after Mularkey went to the Bills in 2004 was, to some extent, an adverse comment on Mularkey's play calling preferences.

Overall, I think Mularkey is a good hire for the Fins and that he was treated shabbily by the Bills.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the board,looking forward to kicking your team's ass in the opener. :blurp: :boxing:

I don't think he was that bad as an OC,but I do think he relied a bit to heavily on the "trick" or "gadget" play at times in a game where it probally wouldn't be wise to use one.I think he's a better OC than HC though...and Cullpepper is a much better QB than Stewart so if CPepp makes a full recovery you guys should have a good offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the board,looking forward to kicking your team's ass in the opener. :blurp: :boxing:

I don't think he was that bad as an OC,but I do think he relied a bit to heavily on the "trick" or "gadget" play at times in a game where it probally wouldn't be wise to use one.I think he's a better OC than HC though...and Cullpepper is a much better QB than Stewart so if CPepp makes a full recovery you guys should have a good offense.

Dude you totally hit the nail on the head about Mike Mularkey as our OC. He drove me crazy when he called some of those gadget plays. The thing with Wiz he seems to know the perfect time to call them and thats why I think we have so much success with them with Wiz as our OC. I would say overall Mularkey wasn't a bad OC. He was alot better then Ray Sherman and Kevin Gilbride.

Ambridge
08-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, you probably will not find a lot of posters on this board who will agree that Kordell was "decent" but I may be biased when I recall Kordell choking his way through 2 AFC championship games and bursting into tears on the sidelines during a 1998 game in Tampa.

But I digress. I recall Mularkey had a lot of imaginative play calling when he was in Pittsburgh, running gadget plays at least as often as the Steelers now do under Wiz. However, I believe Mularkey got away from the running game more than Cowher would have liked in his later years as offensive coordinator (I particularly recall a loss in a Jets game played in the snow in New York in 2003 where the Steelers persisted in passing) and that Cowher's return to emphasizing the run after Mularkey went to the Bills in 2004 was, to some extent, an adverse comment on Mularkey's play calling preferences.

Overall, I think Mularkey is a good hire for the Fins and that he was treated shabbily by the Bills.

I agee with all that.

I remember that Jets game you referenced very well. A 6-0 loss in a mini-blizzard with Mularkey calling something like 35 pass plays. It was like Cowher fell asleep during that game because I couldn't believe he didn't step in and tell Mularkey to put the ball on the ground.
I also remember screaming a multitude of profanities at the TV as I watched every stupid pass play go through the hands of the receiver or sail over their heads.
He did get the shaft in Buffalo with sinile Ralph Wilson bringing in an equally sinile Marv Levy as the GM.

Mularkey is much better suited as a Coordinator than a HC.

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:11 PM

Couldn't have stated it any better myself. That pretty much sums up Mularky in my book. Good post.

LambertIsGod58
08-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I thought Mularkey sucked!!!

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I thought Mularkey sucked!!!

No 58, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back brother. j/k. :smile:

LambertIsGod58
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
LOL, I think Mularkey never realized that he coached in PITTSBURGH!!! He tried to make them a pass 1st team...They have never been that and I can't ever see them being that. On a side note, he wasn't great as a TE either.

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't think he was all that bad. In 2003 we made the horrible mistake of becoming an air-it-out type of ball team and paid the price, but I thought for the most part he was a pretty good/solid OC during his tenure here.

LambertIsGod58
08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
6-10 ring a bell?

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:45 PM
6-10 ring a bell?

That's the 2003 season I was referring to. But do you believe that was all Mularkey's fault? You don't think that maybe somebody higher up on the coaching staff also had a say in that decision? I'm not stating that Mularkey shouldn't take some of the blame, but I am stating that I believe there were others involved in that decision.

Also, I'm basing my opinion of the guy on his overall tenure as a Steelers OC, not just one season.

Stlrs4Life
08-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I didn't think much of him at all really.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
That's the 2003 season I was referring to. But do you believe that was all Mularkey's fault? You don't think that maybe somebody higher up on the coaching staff also had a say in that decision? I'm not stating that Mularkey shouldn't take some of the blame, but I am stating that I believe there were others involved in that decision.

Also, I'm basing my opinion of the guy on his overall tenure as a Steelers OC, not just one season.

I agree with you man. The 6-10 in the 2003 season had alot to do with the Oline breaking down and not staying healthy that year. Alan Faneca has to play LT for stretches during that season. He did a good job and his best. But lets face it when the best guard in the NFL has to play LT then you know your Oline has some health issues.

LambertIsGod58
08-05-2006, 01:08 PM
I agree with you man. The 6-10 in the 2003 season had alot to do with the Oline breaking down and not staying healthy that year. Alan Faneca has to play LT for stretches during that season. He did a good job and his best. But lets face it when the best guard in the NFL has to play LT then you know your Oline has some health issues.

He was so good....look how long he lasted in Buffalo. Another anemic defense!!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-05-2006, 04:28 PM
6-10 ring a bell?

That season did us a huge favor,it got us Big Ben!If we would have gone 10-6 that season we might still be stuck wuth Turnover Tommy starting under Hartings.

LambertIsGod58
08-05-2006, 08:28 PM
That season did us a huge favor,it got us Big Ben!If we would have gone 10-6 that season we might still be stuck wuth Turnover Tommy starting under Hartings.

Very true, but we were talking about Mularkey's talent as an offensive coordinator....

Patssuck456
08-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Well thanks for your opinions guys.

Midnightwriter07
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I think he did a good job as OC.. you do have to remember that our OL was terrible, bettis was getting hit in the backfield right after getting the ball.. we couldnt run and the pass protection was horrible.. and that is why we went to the passing attack. Of course it was not his sole decision to go that route. IT should just be chalked up as a bad season due to injury on our OL which forced us IMO to go a diff route. Stewart played aweful in the games that could have maybe made Mularky a lil better respected ... i dont blame Mularky for how bad Stewart played. I think he did a great job in using Stewart's strengths in getting us to the AFC Championship games. Stewart blew his shot.

Maybe a better OC as a coach.. but i think he will do a good job uin Miami with a more talented group to work with.