PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Tomlin Wanted to Sign Vick With Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Ed: Tomlin Wanted to Sign Vick With Steelers

WEDNESDAY, 03 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Imagine this scenario for Sunday’s game: Michael Vick playing in Heinz Field, not against the Steelers but FOR them.

It might have happened had Mike Tomlin more strongly pursued his desire to have the Steelers sign Vick three years ago.

Vick had completed 21 months in prison for pleading guilty to a federal felony charge of running an interstate dog fighting ring. The Falcons released him in June 2009, but Vick was ready to resume his football career. Tomlin was interested in having him join the Steelers.

Tomlin knew all about Vick’s talents. Both were born in Newport News, Va., and Tomlin coached twice annually against Vick when he was the secondary coach at Tampa Bay and the quarterback played for the division-rival Falcons. Plus, Vick was mentored by Tomlin’s former coach in Tampa Bay, Tony Dungy, during his time in prison and after his release.

Byron Leftwich, who played behind Roethlisberger in 2008, had signed with Tampa Bay as a free agent. The Steelers had Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon as backups heading into the 2009 camp.

Two things prevented Tomlin from bringing Vick to Pittsburgh. The main reason was the Rooneys were dead set against it. They had no desire to bring on a felon, just out of prison, and all the negative reaction his signing would bring, both internally and externally. Plus, the Steelers were reigning Super Bowl champs. Who needed that headache?

Tomlin was willing to look past that, but there was another impediment he said ultimately convinced him not to pursue it – Ben Roethlisberger.

A week before the Steelers opened training camp in 2009, a lawsuit filed against Roethlisberger in Lake Tahoe, Nev., alleging he raped a woman surfaced. Tomlin came to the believe that signing Vick at such a fragile time for his two-time Super Bowl quarterback was a bad idea.

“Given some of the things that my quarterback was going through, I didn't think it was the appropriate time to add another quarterback to the mix," Tomlin told NBC-TV’s Bob Costas that year. "He's going through somewhat of a trying time with the civil allegation, a case against him. I didn't want to do anything that was less than supportive to Ben."

How might things have turned out had the Rooneys agreed to Tomlin’s wishes and signed Vick? It might have changed how they saw their own quarterback a year later as Roethlisberger became even more vulnerable when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him for the first four games of the 2010 season after another rape allegation against the quarterback in Georgia that was never prosecuted.

Look what happened after the Eagles signed Vick. Many Philadelphia fans howled in protest over the signing and animal activists picketed the Eagles. Those things died down, however, and his teammates voted Vick their Ed Block Courage Award winner. He played some behind starter Donovan McNabb in 2009.

In a stunning move, the Eagles traded their “franchise” quarterback, McNabb, to the Redskins. Kevin Kolb started the 2010 season but after two games, Andy Reid gave the job to Vick.

So here we are, Michael Vick vs. Ben Roethlisberger in Heinz Field Sunday. It’s a tale of two quarterbacks who have overcome some distasteful experiences to find success again. How their two paths might have differed had the Steelers followed through on their coach’s initial desire three years ago will remain unanswered.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118358-ed-tomlin-wanted-to-sign-vick-with-steelers

steelax04
10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
"Wanted" and "Exploring the Idea" are two VERY different things. Sounds to me like he was open to the idea and exploring it. Sounds like the media is trying to stir shit up, yet again.

Up next, "Tomlin has no faith in Ben since he wanted to replace him with Vick."

Atlanta Dan
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
So here we are, Michael Vick vs. Ben Roethlisberger in Heinz Field Sunday. It’s a tale of two quarterbacks who have overcome some distasteful experiences to find success again.

Calling multiple accusations of rape and felony convictions "some distasteful experiences" is like saying the Titanic stopped to take on a little ice

I assume Vick and Ben both appreciate how lucky they are to still be making millions

Atlanta Dan
10-03-2012, 03:41 PM
"Wanted" and "Exploring the Idea" are two VERY different things. Sounds to me like he was open to the idea and exploring it. Sounds like the media is trying to stir shit up, yet again.

Up next, "Tomlin has no faith in Ben since he wanted to replace him with Vick."

And Ben further stirring the pot by saying Ben knew Arians always had his back :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
10-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Thank heavens it never happened.
Sounds almost as good as drafting Jason Worilds over Sean Lee.

steeltheone
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Tomlin better worry about developing positions of need!!

teegre
10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
I remember hearing Tony Dungy talking about this topic on Colin Cowherd (I assume that it was Cowherd, since I listen to him every morning, and it was on ESPN's morning radio).

Dungy said that the Steelers were one of the final three teams that were "considering" Vick.

Dungy was in Vick's corner, and was lobbying with teams to give Vick a chance. Since The Rooneys had a close bond with Dungy, he had them "thinking it over."

I remember that this was around the same time as a mulititude of "trade BB" rumors... and being scared that the Steelers would sign Vick, and trade BB for Asomugha (or some other random trade).

Then, the Steelers came out & proclaimed it all to be merely "considering" (as opposed to anything "real").

Thank GOD!!!

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank heavens it never happened.

Sounds almost as good as drafting Jason Worilds over Sean Lee.

did you watch Sean Lee making 14 tackles against the Bears on Monday night?

but hey, who would want him when you can draft a guy who never gets hurt like Jason Worilds instead? :stirthepot:

Fire Arians
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
i wouldn't have minded signing vick to a backup role, he'd be way better than leftwich. at the time nobody expected him to blow up shit in philly and become the starter

jjpro11
10-04-2012, 12:07 AM
i wouldn't have minded signing vick to a backup role, he'd be way better than leftwich. at the time nobody expected him to blow up shit in philly and become the starter

he had one good year.. he's been his same old inconsistent self since then. I still can't stand him and am glad the Rooneys never gave in. What the hell would he have done here anyhow? He can't hold Ben's jock. An overrated video game hero. I don't care if goes out and throws for 400 yards Sunday. It still won't change my opinion of him.

GoFor7
10-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Vick is the perfect example of how fantasy leagues have horribly skewed the perception of what makes a good football player.

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Steelers notebook: Eagles QB Vick has shined against Pittsburgh

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Quarterback Michael Vick will face the Steelers for only the third time in 10 years and the first with Philadelphia.

Vick had two huge games against them with Atlanta — a 34-34 tie in 2002 at Heinz Field in which he led the Falcons back from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter and a 41-38 win in 2006 when he threw for four touchdowns.

“He has a skill set that is unique,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s extremely quick and fast. He can get out of tough spots. He’s got a quick release.”

Vick has thrown for 526 yards and five touchdowns and rushed for 78 yards and a score against the Steelers.

• Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger couldn’t contain his excitement during training camp as rookie Chris Rainey excelled as a receiver out of the backfield, a kick returner and a speed back capable of breaking off long runs. But Rainey has been almost invisible during the regular season, carrying six times for 15 yards and returning only one punt, although he has four kickoff returns. He had two carries for 7 yards against Oakland as the Steelers tried four backs — Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch and Rainey — in an unsuccessful effort to generate a running game.

• The Steelers will try to avoid losing consecutive games for the first time since dropping five in a row late in 2009. They were 12-4 each of the past two seasons. “I think that anybody that’s extremely competitive and has been good over an extended period of time, you understand you can’t have losing streaks,” Tomlin said. “We’re interested in stacking wins. We’re stacking zero right now because we lost the last time we played.”

• The Steelers have won following their bye week each of the past four seasons. “It’s an opportunity to self-evaluate, see where we are and work on some areas of needed improvement,” Tomlin said. Asked if this bye week came too early, he said, “I haven’t run across a bye week that didn’t seem to come in a timely manner.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2699589-85/steelers-vick-yards-bye-kickers-rainey-tomlin-week-games-past#ixzz28JR1COdz

jiminpa
10-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I would hate the Steelers if they brought in Vick. I hate that they even considered it. Filthedelphia is a good fit for him. Moral cesspool town, moral cesspool QB.

At least BR has reportedly grown up, at least a little. I doubt that he has magically become a bright beacon of humanity, but hopefully he is somewhat less self-absorbed now.

WVABE
10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I would hate the Steelers if they brought in Vick. I hate that they even considered it. Filthedelphia is a good fit for him. Moral cesspool town, moral cesspool QB.

At least BR has reportedly grown up, at least a little. I doubt that he has magically become a bright beacon of humanity, but hopefully he is somewhat less self-absorbed now.:applaudit: aaaaaaaaamen :applaudit:

TheDude
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
cue Frank Drebban from Naked Gun

nothing to see here!

Fire Arians
10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
he had one good year.. he's been his same old inconsistent self since then. I still can't stand him and am glad the Rooneys never gave in. What the hell would he have done here anyhow? He can't hold Ben's jock. An overrated video game hero. I don't care if goes out and throws for 400 yards Sunday. It still won't change my opinion of him.

I agree he can't hold ben's jock in a million years, but I was comparing him to our backup QB's, and he's better than anything we have behind ben. I would consider backup QB a position of need since lefty is made of glass and batch is 200 years old

Steel95
10-04-2012, 03:46 PM

What? Ben is lucky he's still capable of holding his own jock strap; lets not forget all the drama this guy has caused the past few yrs. Two rape accusations; no, he was never convicted, but where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't care for Michael Vick as a QB, never has; personally, I think the main reason he went down is due to his arrogance. Playing in Pittsburgh? I couldn't see that; but what amazes me is this, #7 being accused twice of raping two women and he's still on the team. I don't trust that guy, something with him isn't right too.

FrancoLambert
10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
did you watch Sean Lee making 14 tackles against the Bears on Monday night?

but hey, who would want him when you can draft a guy who never gets hurt like Jason Worilds instead? :stirthepot:

Lee is a tackling machine. How did we pass on him?
His instincts and ability to read the play are amazing.
I've watched all their games......he's consistently been their best defensive player.

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Lee is a tackling machine. How did we pass on him?
His instincts and ability to read the play are amazing.
I've watched all their games......he's consistently been their best defensive player.

the frustrating thing for me is that the Steelers had a first round grade on Sean Lee and still passed on him in the second round over Jason Worilds who gets hurt when he sneezes too hard.

a classic case of not sticking to the BPA theory and drafting for need instead...

teegre
10-04-2012, 07:22 PM
What? Ben is lucky he's still capable of holding his own jock strap; lets not forget all the drama this guy has caused the past few yrs. Two rape accusations; no, he was never convicted, but where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't care for Michael Vick as a QB, never has; personally, I think the main reason he went down is due to his arrogance. Playing in Pittsburgh? I couldn't see that; but what amazes me is this, #7 being accused twice of raping two women and he's still on the team. I don't trust that guy, something with him isn't right too.

You are here in therapy, because you got caught. How do you keep from getting caught? Yes, Ben Roethlisberger...

Don't screw girls in public bathrooms...???

Yes. Mr. Letterman...

Uh... when they ask for your money, pay them...???

tanda10506
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm not going to read to much into it, but it just would of been one more player in the Tomlin era that costed a lot (either a high pick or money) and under performed.

OX1947
10-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Vick couldnt hold Roethlisberger's Big Ben. Big Ben is a 3 time Super Bowl Qb and a 2 time world champ. Those do not grow in dog kettles.

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 03:22 AM
James Harrison: We Have To Pressure Michael Vick

October 5, 2012

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steelers-v-eagles.png?w=300

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The Steelers return, after a week off, to the field again this weekend taking on the Eagles.

The bye week certainly helped the Steelers in the injury department.

The extra time will make it possible for three of their best players to be available this Sunday when the eagles come to Heinz Field – and they’ll need them to avoid a 1-3 start.

Despite building a 3-1 record, the Philadelphia offensive line has been porous for the most part.

Michael Vick has been knocked down an NFL leading 44 times, which is 18 more times than the next most hit quarterback.

The Steelers have not been good at hitting or getting to the quarterback so far this year, but getting James Harrison back should help.

“We have to try and get pressure on him,” Steelers linebacker James Harrison said. “It’s not necessarily sacks, but we have to try and get pressure on him and keep him contained, you know, because once you let him get out of there and start using his legs to make plays, it’s going to be a long road to hoe.”

And clearly the Eagles have won despite some early season turnover problems, as Michael Vick was intercepted six times and fumbled five times in his first three games.

He did not turn the ball over against the Giants last week and the Eagles soared to a win over the defending champs.

That’s another part of what the return of Harrison and Troy Polamalu bring – the threat of forcing turnovers, another missing part of the Steeler defense so far.

“He’s extremely talented as everybody knows,” Troy Palamalu said. “I mean, everything that you guys see and you talk about, you know, we feel all the more.”

Rashard Mendenhall is feeling good after practicing for three weeks, will finally get back into the lineup. After ACL surgery last year, he expects to contribute. No word on how much.

But, clearly, after most people thought their bye week was too early, it turned out to be beneficial for the health of some of their biggest weapons.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/10/05/james-harrison-we-have-to-pressure-michael-vick/