PDA

View Full Version : ...and here come the Steelers shooting off their mouths and acting cocky

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Steelers plan to attack Eagles’ nickel corner

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers believe they might have a sweet matchup when they drop back to pass in Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field.

No, not against three-time Pro Bowl corner Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia’s top cornerback and long considered one of the best coverage men in the NFL.

Nor do they necessarily feel testing Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, who has 16 career interceptions in 65 games – including three this season – is a great idea.

The Steelers (1-2) will be looking for a more advantageous matchup when they host the Eagles ( 3 1) Sunday, namely, whoever is matched up with Philadelphia’s third corner, rookie Brandon Boykin, a fourth-round pick out of Georgia.

“That’s the candy bar,” said Steelers Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown with a sly smile.

Snickers or Milky Way?

“Snickers,” he replied.

At 5-9 and 182 pounds, Boykin doesn’t offer the same physical matchup problems as Asomugha (6-2, 210) and Rodgers-Cromartie (6-2, 182), a pair of physical corners who like to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage.

That can disrupt the timing of an offense and allow the defensive line of the Eagles (3-1) more time to get to the quarterback.

But the Steelers feel like their passing game, which is averaging 284.3 yards per game, matches up with the Eagles well, particularly with Boykin.

Brown leads the Steelers with 18 receptions, while Mike Wallace, another Pro Bowl player, has 17. Tight end Heath Miller is off to the best start of his eight-year career with 15 receptions and four touchdowns in the first three games, while No. 3 receiver Emmanuel Sanders already has 10 catches as well.

“As long as we block stout, (passing) shouldn’t be an issue,” said left tackle Max Starks. “We have a great (core) of receivers that can all get open and make plays. Plus, you add Heath Miller in the middle, and you don’t really have enough guys who can cover. I think it’s going to be a great matchup for us. Outside of Asomugha and Cromartie-Rodgers, their nickel is a rookie. You have some guys who are inexperienced in there. Hopefully, we can get into some sets and be successful in those things.”

Thus far, it’s worked out OK for the Eagles, who rank seventh in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 206.8 yards per game – though that number was somewhat skewed by a 118-yard passing game by Cleveland rookie Brandon Weeden in Week 1, his first career start.

Since then, the Eagles have given up 232 yards and a touchdown to Baltimore’s Joe Flacco, 222 and two scores to Arizona’s Kevin Kolb and 309 yards and two touchdowns to the Giants’ Eli Manning.

The Steelers hope quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is second in the NFL with a 109.2 passer rating, can be the difference, identifying who Boykin is matched up against and taking advantage of it.

“I know he’s a rookie. In these early games – that’s the only thing you can go by – and the film from the preseason, you can see his athletic ability,” said Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery of Boykin. “He’s getting some valuable experience on the inside right now. He has some great guys to learn from.”

The Steelers feel he still has a lot of learning to do.

“ He’s all right,” said Brown. “He’s given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage.”

Odds and end zones

Every active player on the Steelers’ roster participated in practice Wednesday, including offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert, who missed the previous three practices with a groin injury. ... The Steelers have won 26 of their past 32 games against NFC teams.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-04-steelers-eagles

Bayz101
10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I love Antonio Brown. :sofunny: :tt02:

Steelerfreak58
10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Watch that rookie end up with a couple of picks... Karma is a hell of a thing.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I hate it

1-2 teams should just shut up and play

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Watch that rookie end up with a couple of picks... Karma is a hell of a thing.

yeah - watch Ben throw a pick 6 now

Bayz101
10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Surely I missed something. Reading again.

Edit: Antonio Brown is right. Whoever gets the rookie CB needs to take advantage of it.

In fact, that's logical, no? I don't see it as cocky, but maybe it's just me.

maddog78
10-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Keep this kind of stuff in the locker room, don't let it get in the papers.

steelfury02
10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
the papers, the papers

maddog78
10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
the papers, the papers

Well-played...I thought about typing that, but didn't think anyone would remember Goodfellas.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Did LeBeau approve his giving away the game plan too?

what kind of smack talk is that anyway? Calling your opponent a candy bar?

let your play do the talking... these yappers do know when you open your mouth to the press that it gets printed and posted, right?

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
attacking an opponents weak spot or inexperience? :idea: what a novel idea!

We dont gameplan for another teams weakness. We dont care that Green Bay was without their best CB and for defensive MVP. We were not going to change it up and attack their weakness

-Bruce Arians :jerkit:

so the defensive players opened up their big fat mouth and gave away the "gameplan" by stating they have to stop shady mccoy and prevent vick from getting to the edge.

:horror: oh the horror! WE ARE DOOOOOOMED!

this is all smokescreen anyways. asomugha is just average in the eagles scheme. we're gonna take the top off his ass with mike wallace, and if they give safety help were eating their lunch up the middle with miller.

4xSBChamps
10-04-2012, 09:33 AM

those days are gone-forever

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 09:37 AM
you talk the talk, you'd damn well better walk the walk

and don't fumble

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Steelers players say this is as much of a "must win" game as any. cant afford to go 1-3.

i appreciate l. woodley stating the steelers would not lose at home vs the jets.

they certainly need that sense of urgency and to walk with a swagger and a little cockiness. punch philly in the mouth.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
you want to be a professional - this is how you do it:

“I know he’s a rookie. In these early games – that’s the only thing you can go by – and the film from the preseason, you can see his athletic ability,” said Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery of Boykin. “He’s getting some valuable experience on the inside right now. He has some great guys to learn from.”

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
you want to be a professional - this is how you do it:

:thumbsup: #FACT

but now is the time to rip off heads and shit down necks, not be complimentary.

i have no problem with brown saying they'll go after the rookie.

its SOP.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
:thumbsup: #FACT

but now is the time to rip off heads and shit down necks, not be complimentary.

i have no problem with brown saying they'll go after the rookie.

its SOP.

bullshit

it's not his place to run his mouth, dissing the opponents in the press

do your talking on the field, and don't fumble

if this was the Eagles players talking shit, you'd be all over their asses

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 10:32 AM
bullshit

if this was the Eagles players talking shit, you'd be all over their asses

:sofunny: for calling ryan mundy a candy bar???

he plays like Baby Ruth.

dont get all worked up over some hipster browns vernacular.

if the steelers win, they will be the bad asses with the chip on their shoulder. if they lose they may look like dicks.

oh well.

i predict a win. :tt03:

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I always laugh at any players talking shit before games, especially when they're on losing teams

but you could be right, this is probably Tomlin playing 3 dimensional chess and our REAL attack is going after Nhamdi

Bayz101
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I was going to chime in......but I forgot what I was going to say.

:pw:

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I always laugh at any players talking shit before games, especially when they're on losing teams

but you could be right, this is probably Tomlin playing 3 dimensional chess and our REAL attack is going after Nhamdii hope so.

there was much speculation that philly had cut off his raider balls and he wasnt being used to his man to man strengths last year, and he has flat out looked like shit in 2 games this year.

torry smith abused him.

we have yet to allow ben to rain 5 bombs on wallace in a game and this may be the week to unleash him. if i had to guess, asomugha will be expecting it.

Fire Arians
10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
brown shouldn't be running his mouth after coughing up the game last week. I love the guy but man, just play the game especially after last week's embarassment he personally had a hand in

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I forgot what I was going to say.

"We're going to unleash hell"

tanda10506
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
"We're going to unleash hell"

It does feel like 2009. Already 2 loses to AFC West teams, lost a good sized lead to a true bottom feeder, and a bunch of injuries.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Brandon Boykin responds to Antonio Brown's 'candy bar' comment

Brandon Boykin's phone started buzzing this morning. His brother was "fired up" when he called.

There was an article in the (Washington and Greene Counties) Observer-Reporter in which Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown called Boykin the "candy bar" in the Eagles' secondary, meaning the Steelers can take advantage of him.

"That's his opinion," Boykin said Thursday. "That's funny to me. We're just going to continue doing what we've been doing as a secondary, and me as well."

Boykin said he didn't understand the joke. When he learned it was an insult, he tried to take the high road.

"We'll see on Sunday," Boykin said. "The game's on Sunday. There's no point in rah-rahing in the media on Thursday. I'll let my game do the talking."

Boykin even said it's a good thing that other receivers are taking a notice of him. He knows that teams are going to try to take advantage of him because he's a rookie fourth-round pick in the slot, and Pro Bowlers Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha are on the outside. Boykin has welcomed that challenge through four games, and has defended the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Victor Cruz.

Boykin did not know if it was Brown's personality to call him out in public. In fact, Boykin said he didn't eve known who Brown was until he started preparing for the game.

"I don't know too much about Antonio Brown," Boykin said. "I just found out who he was this week."

Boykin has never been called out before. He said it doesn't happen in college, but players have more leeway in the NFL. He figured that Brown is trying to get into his head, but Boykin said it's not going to affect how he plays.

"It's good he's pointing me out and it's not doing anythng other than giving me a little more attention," Boykin said. "I got to go out and do what I do. And if I do right, he's actually helped me in a sense. So tell him I appreciate it."

So Boykin's first foray into NFL public trash talking went as smooth as possible. He recognized it was an insult, but he did not want to trade public barbs with Brown.

"It's up to me to do what I got to do to make sure they don't treat me like a candy bar, or whatever they said," Boykin said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Brandon-Boykin-responds-to-Antonio-Browns-candy-bar-comment.html

Fire Arians
10-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Brandon Boykin responds to Antonio Brown's 'candy bar' comment

Brandon Boykin's phone started buzzing this morning. His brother was "fired up" when he called.

There was an article in the (Washington and Greene Counties) Observer-Reporter in which Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown called Boykin the "candy bar" in the Eagles' secondary, meaning the Steelers can take advantage of him.

"That's his opinion," Boykin said Thursday. "That's funny to me. We're just going to continue doing what we've been doing as a secondary, and me as well."

Boykin said he didn't understand the joke. When he learned it was an insult, he tried to take the high road.

"We'll see on Sunday," Boykin said. "The game's on Sunday. There's no point in rah-rahing in the media on Thursday. I'll let my game do the talking."

Boykin even said it's a good thing that other receivers are taking a notice of him. He knows that teams are going to try to take advantage of him because he's a rookie fourth-round pick in the slot, and Pro Bowlers Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha are on the outside. Boykin has welcomed that challenge through four games, and has defended the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Victor Cruz.

Boykin did not know if it was Brown's personality to call him out in public. In fact, Boykin said he didn't eve known who Brown was until he started preparing for the game.

"I don't know too much about Antonio Brown," Boykin said. "I just found out who he was this week."

Boykin has never been called out before. He said it doesn't happen in college, but players have more leeway in the NFL. He figured that Brown is trying to get into his head, but Boykin said it's not going to affect how he plays.

"It's good he's pointing me out and it's not doing anythng other than giving me a little more attention," Boykin said. "I got to go out and do what I do. And if I do right, he's actually helped me in a sense. So tell him I appreciate it."

So Boykin's first foray into NFL public trash talking went as smooth as possible. He recognized it was an insult, but he did not want to trade public barbs with Brown.

"It's up to me to do what I got to do to make sure they don't treat me like a candy bar, or whatever they said," Boykin said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Brandon-Boykin-responds-to-Antonio-Browns-candy-bar-comment.html

yeah sure he didn't know who brown, who made the pro bowl last year was. sure he didn't.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
He's a rookie - he was playing in college last year, consumed with chasing skirts, I can see that.

TheDude
10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
hey Antonio

A fish who never opens his mouth, never gets caught

shut the F@%k up

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Keep this kind of stuff in the locker room, don't let it get in the papers.

I agree, how is revealing the game plan to your opponent helpful?

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 02:50 PM

but you could be right, this is probably Tomlin playing 3 dimensional chess and our REAL attack is going after Nhamdi

Fxxking A.

This goes back to that "young money" crap we were discussing in another thread. As a fan of this team, and the prestigious history that it carries, I sure as hell wish our guys would take the high road and just STFU. At 1-2 and 3rd place in the division, they have NO ROOM to be talking crap on anyone at all-- especially not the guy who hucked up the ball twice in the last outing (and I am a die hard Brown fan).

I couldn't even believe what I was reading.

Do the talking on Sunday with your pads, not on Thursday with the press. "Young money" indeed..... Learn from Heath-- he makes a big play and goes back to the huddle. THAT is a consummate professional.

At least Cotchery showed class with his comments. I can now see why he does not play for that trainwreck in the Meadowlands anymore.

BengalDestroyer
10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Surely I missed something. Reading again.

Edit: Antonio Brown is right. Whoever gets the rookie CB needs to take advantage of it.

In fact, that's logical, no? I don't see it as cocky, but maybe it's just me.

it's cocky because your telling everyone you've already beat him. Instead of saying it's a 'candy bar' say something like they have a very good secondary it'll be interesting to see how the rookie - boykin does...

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
it's cocky because your telling everyone you've already beat him. Instead of saying it's a 'candy bar' say something like they have a very good secondary it'll be interesting to see how the rookie - boykin does...

They gave him bulletin board material and a reason to show his "A" game when they come to town.

What Brown did was to basically brag to Pakistan that we are about to send a team in to kill Bin Laden.

Dumbass.

TheDude
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
They gave him bulletin board material and a reason to show his "A" game when they come to town.

What Brown did was to basically brag to Pakistan that we are about to send a team in to kill Bin Laden.

Dumbass.

Totally agree Riddle

I remember a few years back, we had this loudmouth safety, Anthony Smith. This guy goes out and runs his mouth similar to this, heading into a matchup with New England.

Some applauded his "confidence".....then the game was played and Brady made Smith his personal bitch for 3 hours.

Even if AB goes out and torches this rook, its still a display of ridiculously poor judgment

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
It does feel like 2009. Already 2 loses to AFC West teams, lost a good sized lead to a true bottom feeder, and a bunch of injuries.

don't piss off the football gods is all I ask

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
dont get all worked up over some hipster browns vernacular.

You calling me a Browns fan?

FrancoLambert
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Multiple choice question.

Antonio Brown is:

a) a very talented player
b) a bit of a showboat
c) a gamebreaker
d) asking for it
e) all of the above

Steelersfan87
10-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I feel like bulletin board material is overrated. Getting slighted doesn't make you a better player. I don't expect this to have any impact on the game. Was it kind of a rude and unnecessary thing to say? Probably, but I don't really mind all too much either, personally. It's pretty tame as far as 'trash talk' goes.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I feel like bulletin board material is overrated. Getting slighted doesn't make you a better player. I don't expect this to have any impact on the game. Was it kind of a rude and unnecessary thing to say? Probably, but I don't really mind all too much either, personally. It's pretty tame as far as 'trash talk' goes.

I will keep that in mind the next time the "Steelers play their best when they are disrespected" conversation comes up again.

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 05:23 PM
maaaaan **** brandon boykin!

who the hell cares if the steelers receivers say theyre going to snack on him?

comparing a 4th round nickel back part time player to tom brady is rediculous. i remember plenty of times the steelers were dead silent and got their asses kicked by the patriots just the same.

i also remember j. porter calling that scrub jerame stevens his bitch and then going out on the filed and making that mental midget look like it.

you meant to tell me all the steelers need is for opponents to call cortez allen a "pudding cup" and he will start taking over and winning games for us?

get real.

mike vick called casey hampton "big snack". put that on your BB's

wera176
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Football

is

ENTERTAINMENT.

Get over it... :tt03:

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

The fans who prefer more professional players that don't run their mouths when their team is sitting at 1-2 and 3rd place in the AFC North.

comparing a 4th round nickel back part time player to tom brady is rediculous.

Funny you should mention his draft position. Tom brady was a 6th round pick, as is Antonio Brown.

remember plenty of times the steelers were dead silent and got their asses kicked by the patriots just the same.

Then I would prefer they shut their mouths and get beat, than to run their mouths and get beat.

i also remember j. porter calling that scrub jerame stevens his bitch and then going out on the filed and making that mental midget look like it.

That's why I loved Joey Porter-- he was one of the few who could actually deliver after talking a big game.

you meant to tell me all the steelers need is for opponents to call cortez allen a "pudding cup" and he will start taking over and winning games for us?

No, but I do believe that I have seen you personally in plenty of threads this offseason criticizing the pundits for picking us to go 6-10, and then playing the infamous "Steelers play better when disrespected" card.

You can't have it both ways.

get real.

"Big Snack" is a term of endearment aimed at a venerable veteran. Calling another player a "Snickers bar" is asking for him to bring his A game and to get decleated when you go up to grab that high pass.

Either way, 1-2 is no hole to be running your mouth from, IMHO. I don't think Boykin (is that his name?) is going to deliver a Probowl appearance just because he got punked out-- it just shows bad taste and an out of control ego at work. Only a knucklehead boasts and brags when they are sitting at 1-2 and about to play a team that is 3-1.

If the Steelers lose this game, a possibility you HAVE TO entertain if you are being objective (they are 3-1 and we are 1-2--it is what it is to quote Tomlin), then there is a good possibility they are on the outside looking in come January, and we are only 4 weeks into the season. That is no safe haven to be launching verbal attacks on the other team from.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
rah rah siss boom bah,
the cheerleaders hike up their skirts,
to distract you from the team

don't you hicks know nuthin'?

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 05:42 PM
rah rah siss boom bah,

it would work on me...:love:

http://skirtday.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/uconn3.jpg

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
rah rah siss boom bah,

don't you hicks know nuthin'?

That was pretty cool--- but I have no idea what you just said. I guess I am a hick?

Edman
10-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Watch Vick and Boykin have the game of their lives Sunday and humiliate the Steelers.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 05:58 PM
That was pretty cool--- but I have no idea what you just said. I guess I am a hick?

That was easier to understand, Hawaii 5-0! Sometimes you have to go sloooowwww for my brain to catch up.

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I do love college football for all the upskirts...I do think some cameramen fall in love on the sidelines
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

I aspire to have one of them thar jobs

Fire Haley
10-04-2012, 06:05 PM
That was pretty cool--- but I have no idea what you just said.

I just called Tony a Browns fan

TheDude
10-04-2012, 06:23 PM

comparing a 4th round nickel back part time player to tom brady is rediculous. i remember plenty of times the steelers were dead silent and got their asses kicked by the patriots just the same.

get real.

I never compared anyone to Brady

Upon further review of my post, I guess I was comparing AB's "amateur hour" comments to those of Smith, who by the way is probably one of the dumbest mofo's to wear the black and gold in decades.

And as I stated in this thread already, bush league comments days BEFORE the game....little impact on Sunday

Just AB displaying youthful stupidity.

And thats a bummer....man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Vlt-lpVOY

teegre
10-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I do love college football for all the upskirts...I do think some cameramen fall in love on the sidelines
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

I aspire to have one of them thar jobs

I knew a dude, in high school, who was a total sports stud. And then... he went out for cheer, to be the guy who holds up the cheerleaders.

We laughed... we called him names... until we realized his genius.

Looking back, I don't daydream about my sports highlights... as much as I wish I could have been a cheer-dude. :wink02:

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I knew a dude, in high school, who was a total sports stud. And then... he went out for cheer, to be the guy who holds up the cheerleaders.

Looking back, I don't daydream about my sports highlights... as much as I wish I could have been a cheer-dude. :wink02:

LOL. Everybody in HS always talked shiate on the male cheerleaders, but notice how they are always looking up, and always SMILING like The Dude during the dream sequence when he was floating down the lanes?

Thats why I don't understand the Brain Orakapo/GEICO commercial....most of us would crawl a desert to be at the bottom of the pyramid.

tony hipchest
10-04-2012, 07:16 PM
No, but I do believe that I have seen you personally in plenty of threads this offseason criticizing the pundits for picking us to go 6-10, and then playing the infamous "Steelers play better when disrespected" card.

You can't have it both ways.you believe wrong and are clearly thinking of someone else. i dont wave thos pom-poms, but will admit that the steelers seem to play their best when written off, focused, under the radar, and nobody else is giving them a shot.

big difference between a ROOKIE 4th rounder 4 games into his career and a veteran 6tth rounder that has LEAD his team to multiple super bowls as an every game STARTER.

anyways y'all are missing the boat and i bet boykin is just as distracted and overconsumed with browns comments as the scurred fanz are-

when the steelers go 11 personnel, it will be sanders lined up in the slot. that will be boykins man, and manny will eat his lunch.

if the eagles wanna put the midget on miller, brown or wallace, the rest of the team and i welcome it. :tt02:

Bayz101
10-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Had to stop by and get my daily dose of panic and bitching. Thanks, i'm full.

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 08:03 PM

I used to make fun of those guys too but in hindsight I was the one who really missed out by playing football instead...:cheer:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s60/g8rdmd/male_cheerleaders.jpg

Steelersfan87
10-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Had to stop by and get my daily dose of panic and bitching. Thanks, i'm full.

:toofunny:

teegre
10-04-2012, 08:33 PM
LOL. Everybody in HS always talked shiate on the male cheerleaders, but notice how they are always looking up, and always SMILING like The Dude during the dream sequence when he was floating down the lanes?

Thats why I don't understand the Brain Orakapo/GEICO commercial....most of us would crawl a desert to be at the bottom of the pyramid.

The look on The Dude's face... priceless.

Pyramid: LOL Some people would pay good money for this sort of fantasy.

teegre
10-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I used to make fun of those guys too but in hindsight I was the one who really missed out by playing football instead...:cheer:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s60/g8rdmd/male_cheerleaders.jpg

Dealing with 220 lb monsters who didn't understand the concept of deodorant VERSUS holding up a co-ed by her thighs...

Yep, option two seems better.

Hawaii 5-0
10-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Steelers get ready for hard offensive challenge

Career interceptions by Eagles defensive backs: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 16, Nnamdi Asomugha 14, Kurt Coleman 7, Nate Allen 5, Colt Anderson 0, Brandon Boykin 0, Brandon Hughes 0, Curtis Marsh 0, David Sims 0.

Career touchdown catches by Steelers wide receivers: Mike Wallace 27, Jerricho Cotchery 20, Emmanuel Sanders 4, Antonio Brown 3.

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Steelers’ wide receivers are hoping Halloween arrives a little early.

Trick or treat bags in hand, they apparently can’t wait for Eagles rookie nickel back Brandon Boykin to open the candy drawer and start passing out goodies. Especially touchdowns.

With the Steelers’ passing game producing at a record level through three games — Ben Roethlisberger is the NFL’s No. 2-ranked quarterback — wide receivers Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders face a challenging matchup Sunday in Eagles cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Asomugha is 6-foot-2, 210 pounds and, to Wallace, might be the NFL’s best active cornerback now that Darrelle Revis of the Jets is hurt. Rodgers-Cromartie, who already has three interceptions, is 6-2 and 180. Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie use their size to their advantage by pressing receivers at the line of scrimmage.

“They’re really athletic guys,” Wallace said. “They get after it every game, so you’ve got to keep your head on a swivel and just be ready.”

But it is Boykin who appears to offer the best opportunity for targeting by a deep and productive receiving corps. At 5-9, 182, he isn’t as physically imposing as Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie, and the fourth-round pick from Georgia nicknamed “Bam” has played only four NFL games.

Brown is already circling Boykin’s name, memorizing his No. 22.

“I don’t know where ‘The Candy Bar’ came from,” Brown said when asked about his confectionary-sweet description of the rookie.

“They’ve got two Pro Bowl-productive corners, so we’re looking for some opportunities.”

Boykin appears to offer the most tantalizing matchup for Roethlisberger, who averages 301.3 yards per game passing. But since Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie are more likely to cover Wallace and Brown, slot receiver Sanders could draw Boykin.

Sanders seems as confident as Brown that there is yardage to be gained against the Eagles (3-1), no matter how many Pro Bowlers man their secondary.

“He’s a rookie, he’s finding his own, he’s playing football to the best of his ability,” Sanders said of Boykin, not exactly flattering him with praise.

Boykin has been targeted 20 times, allowing nine catches for 103 yards.

“This game is about mismatches, and that’s what it is,” Sanders said. “Right now, honestly, all across the board matchup-wise, Mike can definitely take Nnamdi Asomugha. We definitely could take any one of their corners. It’s all about finding the right matchup for the defensive scheme they’re playing.”

During the Eagles’ 19-17 win Sunday over the Giants, Boykin sometimes lined up against elite receiver Victor Cruz. The result? “The Giants threw the ball to Victor Cruz,” Sanders said.

The more-experienced Wallace isn’t talking as confidently as Brown and Sanders about finding weaknesses in the Eagles’ defense.

“(Boykin) is getting better every week,” Wallace said. “I’ve seen him make some plays on tape, I’ve seen him do well. I think he has some potential. He’s inexperienced, but he’s not going to let us go out there and make plays all over the field. He’s going to be ready to play. But at the same token we’re going to be ready, too.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2719219-85/boykin-brown-sanders-wallace-eagles-asomugha-steelers-cromartie-rodgers-game#ixzz28OX154il

EbonySteel86
10-05-2012, 06:23 AM

get real.

+1!!!!! Boykin should be scared shitless! Young $$ ate up CB's waaaaaaay better than him!

steeltheone
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
+1!!!!! Boykin should be scared shitless! Young $$ ate up CB's waaaaaaay better than him!

Who? They normally disappear in big games and against better competition .... They are good but somewhat overrated till they win some big games....Ala Hines Ward!

Bayz101
10-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Who? They normally disappear in big games and against better competition .... They are good but somewhat overrated till they win some big games....Ala Hines Ward!

1-3lIHIyXLs

Arguably the biggest play we've had in two years.

steeltheone
10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
1-3lIHIyXLs

Arguably the biggest play we've had in two years.

It was a great play... I'm sure glad because his final stats were 3 rec 20 yards 0 td .... As I stated in earlier posts, they are good, but a bit overrated. Brown is in the same boat, just a year younger. He did not want 10 mill a year either.

Fire Arians
10-05-2012, 01:47 PM
It was a great play... I'm sure glad because his final stats were 3 rec 20 yards 0 td .... As I stated in earlier posts, they are good, but a bit overrated. Brown is in the same boat, just a year younger. He did not want 10 mill a year either.

brown & sanders came up big that year in the playoffs. they will be prime time players for years to come

Hawaii 5-0
10-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Boykin not getting riled by Steeler's taunts

Posted: Fri, Oct. 5, 2012
BY FRANK SERAVALLI
Daily News Staff Writer

STEELERS Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown said it on Wednesday and Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin's phone blew up.

Brown apparently thinks the rookie nickelback Boykin will be a tasty treat on Sunday.

"That's the candy bar," Brown told the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, a small suburban Pittsburgh newspaper. "He's given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage."

So, is Boykin more like a Mr. Goodbar? Or Heath Bar? Or Nestle Crunch? After all, Boykin would not be the first professional athlete with a candy bar named after him - he can thank Babe Ruth for that.

"That's funny to me," Boykin said, after calming down his bothered older brother, Alfred Jr. "For someone to call me out, I guess that means they taking notice of my play, that they want to go after me. I want that. I welcome that challenge. If they want to come at me, I'm going to continue to get that work."

Defensive coordinator Juan Castillo said Thursday that it is natural for opposing teams to target Boykin. For one, he's a rookie. The fourth-round pick never before lined up against the caliber of receivers - such as Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz and Anquan Boldin - he has over the last 3 weeks.

More important, the options are limited. With Pro Bowlers Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on either side of him, going after Boykin makes sense.

So far, the results have been mixed. He was strong against Baltimore and Cleveland, but exploited in Arizona and against the Giants.

Boykin, 22, has been on the field for 54 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps. In the slot, Boykin has been targeted 22 times, 11 of which were catches - nine of them coming in the previous two games.

Fitzgerald netted 53 yards against him, including 33 yards after the catch. Cruz posted 48 yards and one touchdown. The Giants' Eli Manning and Cardinals' Kevin Kolb averaged a 114.15 passer rating on balls thrown towards Boykin.

"I've guarded three Pro Bowl receivers the past couple weeks and we're doing pretty good as a secondary," Boykin said. "We're 3-1. We're just going to continue to do what we've been doing, let all that talking stuff happen.

"I felt like I've done pretty good. I've definitely got a lot of things I can improve on. I'm just trying to fight each and every week."

Brown might not be the only one to face Boykin, as the Steelers could try to push fellow Pro Bowler Mike Wallace to the slot for an advantage. Wallace has racked up 234 yards in three games this season.

For cornerbacks such as Boykin, Andy Reid reminded on Wednesday to cover until the play is completely dead, something essential when facing Ben Roethlisberger. He is tough to bring down and can keep plays alive longer than most NFL quarterbacks.

Castillo praised Boykin's work ethic. With the help of playing inside at the University of Georgia, Boykin has transitioned to the NFL with ease, compared with how long DRC needed to adjust to life in the slot last season.

"He's in here every morning at 7:30 a.m. studying," Castillo said. "I met his parents this past weekend. I can see why he's the individual that he is. Besides being a talented young man, he's very confident; he works hard. Those are the qualities that he has, and it's not his fault it's his first year in the NFL."

Linebacker DeMeco Ryans wasn't surprised about Brown's chatter, but said the "real talking happens on game days."

"Talk is talk," Trent Cole said. "If I was him, I'd love to have that challenge. I'd love to have someone say that. When it comes down to that moment, it doesn't matter who's better or who has the better contract. It comes down to who plays better on that night. Let your actions speak louder."

For Boykin, that's the plan. He graduated from Georgia with a journalism degree. With rampant and instant social media, he knew better than to give Brown and the Steelers any ammunition.

At the very least, he's got a solid nickname to follow him throughout his NFL career - as long as it doesn't define him.

"Of course they're going to test me out," Boykin said. "I expect that every week. This will be no different. Just because he said something in the media, it's not going to intimidate me."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121004_Boykin_not_getting_riled_by_Steelers_taun ts.html#ixzz28RjJZ7jF

GoFor7
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
A 1-2 team shouldn't be smack-talking a 3-1 team....

steeltheone
10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
brown & sanders came up big that year in the playoffs. they will be prime time players for years to come

Brown was big on returns and i hope you are right about the years to come.....But these are the facts

Brown 2010-11 playoffs....5 rec.. 90 yds.. 0 tds....2 playoffs games and 1 SB
Sanders................................7 rec.. 91 yds.. 0 tds....2 playoffs games and 1 SB

These are hardly coming up big, and the main reason i feel fans are a bit premature on the greatness of this group!

EbonySteel86
10-05-2012, 03:05 PM

Wow!!! So you mean to tell me Young $ Crew should be worried about the likes of the mighty BrandonBoykin??? Heath might even lose sleep over the sheer awesomeness of Brandon Boykin!

Fire Arians
10-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Brown was big on returns and i hope you are right about the years to come.....But these are the facts

Sanders................................7 rec.. 91 yds.. 0 tds....2 playoffs games and 1 SB

These are hardly coming up big, and the main reason i feel fans are a bit premature on the greatness of this group!

numbers aren't great but they came up with game winning plays when we needed them. sanders was also injured in the 1st quarter in the sb, you can't really count that.

i don't think anyone is calling them great yet, but we have a lot to be excited about still. can't take away the fact they come up with game winners vs the jets and ravens in the playoffs.

teegre
10-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Lynn Swann's first SuperBowl: zero catches.

FrancoLambert
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Lynn Swann's first SuperBowl: zero catches.

Terry only completed 9 passes in that game, so Swann's goose egg might deserve an asterisk.
More importantly, that style of football was played a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

tony hipchest
10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
:shout:-FIRE TERRY!!!!

teegre
10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Terry only completed 9 passes in that game, so Swann's goose egg might deserve an asterisk.
More importantly, that style of football was played a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Still, zero puts things in perspective. In fact, he only had 11 receptions as a rookie. Similar rookie stats for Stallworth and for Ward.

In other words, y'all can sell your stock on the Young Money crew, but I think that they could be great.

NoShootouts
10-05-2012, 06:02 PM
so easy to spot the old farts who hate fun ...

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt: love AB!!!!!!!!

Hawaii 5-0
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/dimondsnsaphires/old_fart_convention.jpg

finesward
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Sooooo now its gone from poor attitude on the field to poor judgement off the field yapping to the press....

Believe I predicted this a while ago and everyone jumped all over me that he was just getting pumped up, having fun, entertaining, etc...

I'm a huge young $ fan but now they are the guys its really getting to their heads

I'll say it again...

Take a lesson from heath. Score tds make catches and stfu and go about your business. Cotchery showed why he's a true pro with what he said.

FrancoLambert
10-05-2012, 08:29 PM

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt: love AB!!!!!!!!

And who really understand what it takes to be great, not just flashy.
Classy and not self-promoting.
But I'm guessing those are virtues you can't comprehend with your limited wisdom.

Hawaii 5-0
10-05-2012, 08:53 PM

But I'm guessing those are virtues you can't comprehend with your limited wisdom.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_26LRvERfqg4/R9bDtnamxkI/AAAAAAAACMA/1nAtrBeqXTM/s400/OldFart.jpg

tony hipchest
10-05-2012, 09:38 PM

LtHM-N19DOc

FrancoLambert
10-06-2012, 08:28 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_26LRvERfqg4/R9bDtnamxkI/AAAAAAAACMA/1nAtrBeqXTM/s400/OldFart.jpg

:applaudit: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
10-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Cullen Jenkins Responds To Steelers Trash Talk

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – First, Steelers nose tackle Steve McClendon had some less than complimentary things to say how to go about defending Michael Vick. “He’s trying to be the quarterback he’s not,” he said. Then wide receiver Antonio Brown referred to Eagles rookie cornerback Brandon Boykin as “a candy bar.”

Eagles defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins says the Eagles aren’t fazed by any of Steelers’ talk. “We’re fully aware of all it coming out,” Jenkins told 94WIP’s Michael Barkann and Ike Reese on Thursday.

“I’m not sure what it is, maybe it’s just that division out there, with Baltimore and them, they like to get a lot of chatter going and stuff like that, but it’s our job to just remain focused. We’re aware of it, we’re going to take it to heart, we take it as a challenge and we just want to talk back by our play. We want to let our play do the talking for us.”

More than ever, the key to the Steelers offense is quarterback Ben Roesthlisberger. “[The key to getting to Roethlisberger is] just being patient. One thing we fully expect them to do is come out and try to run the ball on us. They obviously kind of just challenged us a little bit, with the comments they said about us, especially up-front at the d-line, and we got out there and want to get that run stopped and keep the down and distance in our favor,” Jenkins said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/10/04/cullen-jenkins-responds-to-steelers-trash-talk/

NoShootouts
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM

you do realize Antonio Brown is the hardest worker on the team right ? He works hard to make this team great each and every day ... you sit on a message board and whine ...though if this thread was about Mike Wallace I would agree that he needs to shut up and play

lighten up and have fun ultimately its a game

want to know who the Steelers biggest trash talker of all time was ? Hines Ward .... you think he didnt know what it takes to be great ?

lardlad
10-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Let them all talk, who cares. It's usually one of two things. They are trying make themselves feel better, or cause a distraction (for which side I'm not sure). Either way they are grown men. You may not believe they are acting like it, but they can say whatever the hell they want.

All that being said, you'll never hear Miller talk like this, and he gets it done like no ones business. And I do respect that much more.

tony hipchest
10-06-2012, 10:26 PM
so anyways, who did the steelers dis 2 weeks ago, that pissed off the raiders and gave them the bulletin board material needed for them to play above the line and pull off the upset win?

did brown give away the gameplan then, too?

to quote tomlin "i dont believe in hocus pocus".

until he proves it on the field, i dont believe in boykin either...

FrancoLambert
10-06-2012, 11:27 PM
you do realize Antonio Brown is the hardest worker on the team right ? He works hard to make this team great each and every day ... you sit on a message board and whine ...though if this thread was about Mike Wallace I would agree that he needs to shut up and play

lighten up and have fun ultimately its a game

want to know who the Steelers biggest trash talker of all time was ? Hines Ward .... you think he didnt know what it takes to be great ?

You have confirmed my image of you......a complete know it all idiot. :screwy::
Keep chirping away, I can't waste any more time on you. :wave:

FanSince72
10-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I hate it

Yea but there's three ways to look at this:
1. It's just pre-game misinformation pumping our passing game while we're really planning to feature the run.

2. We have a great passing game so why not brag about it?

3. What's wrong with feeling confident? In any situation you can either feel positive or negative and since neither emotion costs anything, why not choose positive?

I'd rather have a team talking trash than sounding like a bunch of insecure worry-warts.

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 10:54 AM
You have confirmed my image of you......a complete know it all idiot. :screwy::
Keep chirping away, I can't waste any more time on you. :wave:holy shit, dude....

he's not insulting you or personally attacking you, so relax & give him the same due respect in return.

dont get your depends in a knot. :wink02:

:drink:

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 11:08 AM
NFL network report on live gameday-

DRC says the eagles have not seen a group of receivers as fast or as deep as the steelers.

speedy nmamdi says he looks forward to matching up and running with wallace all day.

mike wallace respone?

"he thinks he wants that..."

:applaudit:

confident? yes.

cocky? yes.

true? yes.

is this game a must win for the steelers? yes.

do i expect the steelers wr's to bring their 'A' game? yes.

finesward
10-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Looks like someone passed on the message. So far so good.

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 03:34 PM
NFL network report on live gameday-

DRC says the eagles have not seen a group of receivers as fast or as deep as the steelers.

speedy nmamdi says he looks forward to matching up and running with wallace all day.

mike wallace respone?

"he thinks he wants that..."

:applaudit:

confident? yes.

cocky? yes.

true? yes.

Mike Wallace's stats for the game:

2 receptions for 17 yards and 0 TDs...

NoShootouts
10-07-2012, 04:44 PM
holy shit, dude....

he's not insulting you or personally attacking you, so relax & give him the same due respect in return.

dont get your depends in a knot. :wink02:

:drink:

its ok Im just happy we won

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Mike Wallace's stats for the game:

2 receptions for 17 yards and 0 TDs...antonio "candy bar" brown led all steelers (or eagles for that matter) with 86 yards and 7 receptions, AND we won.

:hunch:

go figure....

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
antonio "candy bar" brown led all steelers (or eagles for that matter) with 86 yards and 7 receptions, AND we won.

:hunch:

go figure....

how many TD catches did our trash-talking WRs make today?

and our "I'm not signing for less than $11 million/year WR" had two receptions for 17 yards to go along with a couple of drops.

and if Michael Vick doesn't fumble at the goal-line maybe we don't win...having said that, I'm very glad our defense held the Eagles to only 14 points so that we could win.

Fire Arians
10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
larry fitzgerald would have caught that incomplete pass to wallace that could have easily been a TD. yes it was a difficult catch, but for someone asking for fitz money, should be counted on to make fitz plays

just sayin'

FrancoLambert
10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
its ok Im just happy we won

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Me Too!

:thumbsup:

Fire Haley
10-08-2012, 03:50 AM
if Michael Vick doesn't fumble at the goal-line we don't win....

I said that out loud when it happened - "we just got extremely lucky, that will be the game"

and if we lost Brown would be the goat for fumblefingering dropping that sure TD in the EZ

Sanders make some clutch catches, Wallace and Brown did enough to win, And Ben saves the day yet again

my game ball goes to the kicker (with a nice basket of fruit for Mendy)

squeeze-em's 9 pts win the game

steeltheone
10-08-2012, 09:05 AM
how many TD catches did our trash-talking WRs make today?

and our "I'm not signing for less than $11 million/year WR" had two receptions for 17 yards to go along with a couple of drops.

and if Michael Vick doesn't fumble at the goal-line maybe we don't win...having said that, I'm very glad our defense held the Eagles to only 14 points so that we could win.

I've been singing this song for awhile now...Our receivers are good, but not great. AJ. Green is better than both of them. We dont need cap breaking wideouts!