PDA

View Full Version : CJ 85 and his "list"

stlrtruck
08-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Not sure if anyone saw the interview the Chad Johnson did while at Bungles camp but the low down was that he was going to, once again, have his list during the season.

I'm just curious if he's going to have the right Steeler on the list so when he gets shut down again, he'll actually mark his list that he not only got shut down but got abused along the way!!!

Let's see if CJ his even half the man he claims to be!

I'll go out on a limb and say that A) he doesn't have the right defender listed and B) he won't put a check mark on the list when he gets shut down.

Make Your Own Dynasty - THREEPEAT THE REPEAT!

Lukin83
08-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I was upset when I saw that he said Leigh Bodden was the only corner to shut him down last year. CJ actually thinks that a sub-60 yard performance with no TDs is not getting shut down? Lame. :rolleyes:

j-dawg
08-03-2006, 09:33 PM
well... johnson caught only 2 out of the 10 passes thrown his way, for a measly 22 yards and 0 touchdowns against bodden... i'm guessing he's picking the worst performance of his season last year....

Ambridge
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that A) he doesn't have the right defender listed and B) he won't put a check mark on the list when he gets shut down.

:yawn: Chad's checklist.
That's probably because Chad cannot read in the first place and even making a simple check mark is a challenge to his literacy skills.

steelcity984
08-03-2006, 10:42 PM
You would love this if he played for the Steelers. The truth is he is a great player with over the top celebrations. But still great nonetheless.

SteelCityMan786
08-03-2006, 11:24 PM
That's probably because Chad cannot read in the first place and even making a simple check mark is a challenge to his literacy skills.

Spends his money on all the grills he gets.

Polamalu43
08-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Spends his money on all the grills he gets.

hahahah agree, poor fool. :dang:

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-04-2006, 08:10 AM
You would love this if he played for the Steelers. The truth is he is a great player with over the top celebrations. But still great nonetheless.

I would NOT love this if he were a Steeler. I believe it was the Emperor Charles Noll who put it best "act like you been here before", when asked about excessive celebrations!

HometownGal
08-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Speaking for myself, no - I wouldn't want him wearing the black and gold. He is an above-average WR but I would not put him in the "great" category. The Steelers save their celebrations for the end of the game and the locker room, as teams with class do. They don't need to grandstand themselves on the field.

83-Steelers-43
08-04-2006, 08:35 AM
I would NOT love this if he were a Steeler. I believe it was the Emperor Charles Noll who put it best "act like you been here before", when asked about excessive celebrations!

Guess we missed that little half-time meltdown during the playoffs last season. Does he have the talent? Yes.

Is it worth this.........

Here you go: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412642.html

83-Steelers-43
08-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Count me out.

Here's a refresher: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412642.html

I'll stick with Ward, Wilson, Reid, Washington, Morgan and Holmes.

BlackNGold203
08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Speaking for myself, no - I wouldn't want him wearing the black and gold. He is an above-average WR but I would not put him in the "great" category. The Steelers save their celebrations for the end of the game and the locker room, as teams with class do. They don't need to grandstand themselves on the field.

i agree Gal....above average-very good...not great or elite....

the celebrations and the halftime meltdown are proof that he doesnt have the mental toughness or focus to be "elite"...let alone a champion...

His antics would not fly in Pittsburgh....

stlrtruck
08-04-2006, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't mind his skills and abilities on the team but to not be honest with yourself as a player to say that no one else shut you down. That's just absurd. What's the use of the checklist if you aren't going to use it properly!?

Ambridge
08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
You would love this if he played for the Steelers.

I'll add to the pile on with an Absolutely Not-No Way-No How!!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-04-2006, 07:33 PM

CJ is a fag. And his list is gay. Nothing would make me happier than seeing him punked and bitched slapped but that really doesn't matter to me either.

Take 2 wins from Cincy and soar into the postseason.

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't want this on the Steelers either.

CantStop85
08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
i agree Gal....above average-very good...not great or elite....

the celebrations and the halftime meltdown are proof that he doesnt have the mental toughness or focus to be "elite"...let alone a champion...

His antics would not fly in Pittsburgh....
So if a guy who leads the AFC in receiving 2 years and counting is not elite, who exactly is? Chad may be flashy and a bit emotional at times, but that doesn't minimize what he does on the field.

Chad has fun with the game, what's so bad about that? I don't really care if he makes a list or celebrates a TD as long as he continues to produce. Criticizing Chad for his antics is like criticizing Hines Ward for smiling during games (or crying afterwards). They both love the game and express it in different ways.

As far as the supposed meltdown at halftime...CJ is a very emotional player. It's no surprise that he would get upset when Palmer goes down. Sure, it wasn't completely appropriate but it was a heat of the moment sort of thing and the only such occurrence in Chad's NFL career. Chad has never called out his teammates or coaches publicly...he's never even held out for a bigger contract (more than even Hines Ward can say).

Ike Taylor and especially Leigh Bodden have done exceptionally well at covering CJ the past couple of years...very impressive and a testament to both corners...CJ will eventually get his, but Ike and Bodden have been as good as anybody at containing him.

HburgXL06
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
So if a guy who leads the AFC in receiving 2 years and counting is not elite, who exactly is? Chad may be flashy and a bit emotional at times, but that doesn't minimize what he does on the field.

There's two probs wit that assessment though:

1) It's only been two years, call me back in six.

2) He doesn't act or play like a team player. It is all about him gettin the ball and him gettin the ball in the end zone. You never hear about his ability to play a blockin role or whatever to facilitate a play that does not involve him running downfield in search of a bomb.

He is essentially a mini-TO mixed together wit the antics of a side show clown at the circus. After his temper tantrum in the locker room you could add mental case to that description but we'll just be nice and assume that was just because he was bein beaten by the Steelers. But even so that lil tantrum he threw still shows his lack of team spirit and his lackin in leadership qualities. I say that because the way he acted worked more as a divisive measure in the locker room than a uniting one. Instead of pumpin up the other players to win he had to be restrained. It's a far reach to get motivation to do better when one player starts callin out other as well as coaches (which then breaks the player/coach respectfulness and all hell breaks down) on what they did wrong throughout the first half.

Chad has fun with the game, what's so bad about that? I don't really care if he makes a list or celebrates a TD as long as he continues to produce. Criticizing Chad for his antics is like criticizing Hines Ward for smiling during games (or crying afterwards). They both love the game and express it in different ways.

Not true, again here is where the self-centeredness of Chad Johnson shines through. When Hines makes a touchdown he celebrates wit his teammates. He knows that he isn't the only one out there doin a job worth watchin. By celebratin wit other team members he doesn't separate himself from the team of give off the appearance in the slightest sense that he feels his plays are "better" than anyone elses, which thus contributes to a stronger team spirit. This is not so wit CJ. Instead it is always me, me, ME!! Chad would rather stand alone in the end zone untouched by his other teammates dancin like a chicken to celebrate a touchdown than to have to share the spotlight wit anyone else. This gives off the mindset of: "Look at me! Look at me! Look at the great play I did! Look at how great I am and good I am at dancin like a chicken!" Again his actions are more of a clown than of an "elite" wide receiever. If he is so good he would have been in the end zone enough that he wouldn't have to celebrate every touchdown the way he does. The fact that he admits to puttin work into the celebrations he does in the end zone also bodes poorly for the bengals since if Chad is havin to spend even the smallest amount of time thinkin about what he will do when he gets to the end zone he is not fully concentratin on how he can fully help the team succeed on the next play. Even that small distraction on the field durin a play can be enough to keep him from reachin his full potential in aidin the team to success in a drive. In short it equals to this: Hines Ward > Chad Johnson.

As far as the supposed meltdown at halftime...CJ is a very emotional player. It's no surprise that he would get upset when Palmer goes down. Sure, it wasn't completely appropriate but it was a heat of the moment sort of thing and the only such occurrence in Chad's NFL career. Chad has never called out his teammates or coaches publicly...he's never even held out for a bigger contract (more than even Hines Ward can say).

Chad hasn't called out any players publically. Why? Because he is too busy talkin about himself and his performance and again how great he is. He refers to Palmer but only in the sense of how Palmer passes to him for touchdowns and celebrations. Otherwise as I said before it is all me, me, ME!!

And yes Ward did holdout for a lil last year. What happened? The Steelers told him if he wants to get paid he has to show up for camp. He did. The Steelers don't settle for self-centeredness and did well to restore Hines's humility and make him remember he is a part of a team. Since then Hines has been the ultimate team player. It is almost never about just him. If Chad Johnson did the same thing the bengals would get down and beg him to stay. God forbid they lose another strong player.

BuFu

WWIIOwheelz
08-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I like what CJ has been able to do for the Bungals' franchise. It's fun to have a decent team over in Ohio again, because the Brownies have been little fun to hate since they came back.

I've read quite a bit about CJ, and he's a competitor. I'm not sure how easy that personality would be to coach, but Cowher has said before that he likes him. He seems to be a good sport, and really make for some funny stuff. Hines put him in his place very well last year with the dance. :)

I just can't wait for the season to start.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Guess we missed that little half-time meltdown during the playoffs last season. Does he have the talent? Yes.

Is it worth this.........

Here you go: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_412642.html

Yeah the same meltdown Lewis is still trying to deny to this day.

HometownGal
08-05-2006, 03:22 PM

2) He doesn't act or play like a team player. It is all about him gettin the ball and him gettin the ball in the end zone. You never hear about his ability to play a blockin role or whatever to facilitate a play that does not involve him running downfield in search of a bomb.

He is essentially a mini-TO mixed together wit the antics of a side show clown at the circus. After his temper tantrum in the locker room you could add mental case to that description but we'll just be nice and assume that was just because he was bein beaten by the Steelers. But even so that lil tantrum he threw still shows his lack of team spirit and his lackin in leadership qualities. I say that because the way he acted worked more as a divisive measure in the locker room than a uniting one. Instead of pumpin up the other players to win he had to be restrained. It's a far reach to get motivation to do better when one player starts callin out other as well as coaches (which then breaks the player/coach respectfulness and all hell breaks down) on what they did wrong throughout the first half.

Not true, again here is where the self-centeredness of Chad Johnson shines through. When Hines makes a touchdown he celebrates wit his teammates. He knows that he isn't the only one out there doin a job worth watchin. By celebratin wit other team members he doesn't separate himself from the team of give off the appearance in the slightest sense that he feels his plays are "better" than anyone elses, which thus contributes to a stronger team spirit. This is not so wit CJ. Instead it is always me, me, ME!! Chad would rather stand alone in the end zone untouched by his other teammates dancin like a chicken to celebrate a touchdown than to have to share the spotlight wit anyone else. This gives off the mindset of: "Look at me! Look at me! Look at the great play I did! Look at how great I am and good I am at dancin like a chicken!" Again his actions are more of a clown than of an "elite" wide receiever. If he is so good he would have been in the end zone enough that he wouldn't have to celebrate every touchdown the way he does. The fact that he admits to puttin work into the celebrations he does in the end zone also bodes poorly for the bengals since if Chad is havin to spend even the smallest amount of time thinkin about what he will do when he gets to the end zone he is not fully concentratin on how he can fully help the team succeed on the next play. Even that small distraction on the field durin a play can be enough to keep him from reachin his full potential in aidin the team to success in a drive. In short it equals to this: Hines Ward > Chad Johnson.

Chad hasn't called out any players publically. Why? Because he is too busy talkin about himself and his performance and again how great he is. He refers to Palmer but only in the sense of how Palmer passes to him for touchdowns and celebrations. Otherwise as I said before it is all me, me, ME!!

And yes Ward did holdout for a lil last year. What happened? The Steelers told him if he wants to get paid he has to show up for camp. He did. The Steelers don't settle for self-centeredness and did well to restore Hines's humility and make him remember he is a part of a team. Since then Hines has been the ultimate team player. It is almost never about just him. If Chad Johnson did the same thing the bengals would get down and beg him to stay. God forbid they lose another strong player.

BuFu

What an awesome post, Hburg! I wouldn't go so far as to say he is a mini-me of T.O. (YET), but if I was a betting person, I'd say that he has the same imprint "I LOVE ME SOME ME" tattooed on the cheek of his rump.

He is essentially a mini-TO mixed together wit the antics of a side show clown at the circus.

LMFAO!!! :sofunny: :sofunny:

I appreciate Chad's skill at his position, but I agree with you - when he has more than 2 seasons under his belt as one of the Top 5 receivers in the AFC, then he has earned that "elite" tag.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't mind someone with Chad Johnson's skills on the Steelers..but someone with his mental makeup,over-the-top celebrations,and poor team attitude...no thanks.

CantStop85
08-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Very good argument...just a few things I want to tack on.

1) By elite, I don't mean great...I mean one of the best receivers in the league right now, like a top 5 receiver. I would say he's had enough time already to prove that he's a top 5 receiver in the league. I wouldn't call him great yet...if he keeps his pace up for a few more years then we can get into that argument.

2) There's no doubt that Chad may still have a bit of maturing to do, but I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much work he actually puts in. He practices probably harder and longer than any other Bengal player...he even sleeps in the stadium at night. He's always trying to get better...this offseason he's been trying to add a few more pounds of muscle in order to increase his YAC which he thought was poor.

A lot of people may not see it this way, but I believe that a lot of times Chad's antics take the pressure off of the rest of the team. The Bengals have a very young/inexperienced team, by "running his mouth" Chad takes a lot of the attention off of other players and lessens the pressure in a sense. If nothing else, Chad for the most part keeps an upbeat/light-hearted atmosphere in the locker room.

Chad loves the limelight, there's no doubt about that, but just about every team has that brash player like him (i.e. Joey Porter).

CantStop85
08-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I just read this in an interview with Chad and thought it was funny, here's a segment (the Kansas City part's the best):

Johnson is a regular on our radio show and it was good to see him. And he didn't disappoint. At the end of his on-air chat with Solomon Wilcots and myself, we started to break down the AFC North, rattling of teams and why they can be successful.

As we ran down the division, Johnson broke it down with us saying, ‘Pittsburgh? Who's that? Ravens? Stop. Browns. Never heard of them!'

Johnson on the new rules to stop excessive celebrations…

'I don't need props. I don't need to get down to the ground. The fans will be my props. Keep listening to me on Sirius. I'll give you clues. Our great fans in Cincinnati will be involved. Damn, I'm saying to much already. I have hundreds of celebrations ready. It's going to be bigger than ever. I'm an entertainer. This isn't the no fun league. It's up to me, (Steve) Smith, and Terrell (Owens) to entertain.

Johnson has a new list of cornerbacks he plans on beating in 2006. And it's a new list with a twist.

'This year we are putting faces on the chart. Yes, faces. Every cornerback I play against will have his picture on the chart. Week 1 it will have Law and Curtain. Yes, Curtain, not Surtain. I'm going to close the curtain on the Chiefs. And I've never really been one to follow Laws.'

MasterOfPuppets
08-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Very good argument...just a few things I want to tack on.

1) By elite, I don't mean great...I mean one of the best receivers in the league right now, like a top 5 receiver. I would say he's had enough time already to prove that he's a top 5 receiver in the league. I wouldn't call him great yet...if he keeps his pace up for a few more years then we can get into that argument.

2) There's no doubt that Chad may still have a bit of maturing to do, but I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much work he actually puts in. He practices probably harder and longer than any other Bengal player...he even sleeps in the stadium at night. He's always trying to get better...this offseason he's been trying to add a few more pounds of muscle in order to increase his YAC which he thought was poor.

A lot of people may not see it this way, but I believe that a lot of times Chad's antics take the pressure off of the rest of the team. The Bengals have a very young/inexperienced team, by "running his mouth" Chad takes a lot of the attention off of other players and lessens the pressure in a sense. If nothing else, Chad for the most part keeps an upbeat/light-hearted atmosphere in the locker room.

Chad loves the limelight, there's no doubt about that, but just about every team has that brash player like him (i.e. Joey Porter).

ummmm ....porter doesn't start fights with the coaches when their gettin their asses whipped....:dang: oops, i forgot that never happend.

HometownGal
08-06-2006, 07:58 AM

Yes, but surely he must be tired of wiping the egg off of his face when he talks the talk but isn't able to walk the walk. He had just a little over 50 yards in the AFC WC Game last season and zero TDs after all of his yapping the prior week. He comes across looking like a buffoon. His teammate who feels he is an expert in shoe shining techniques, T.J. HoushIhavepooinmymouthtoozadeh didn't fare much better at 23 yards in that game, but he did have a TD. The difference is - when Porter mouths off, he usually backs it up with solid physical play.

And I've never really been one to follow Laws.'

Well, I have to give him credit here - he has the Bengals team motto down pat. :wink:

(Yes, I know what he meant)

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I just read this in an interview with Chad and thought it was funny, here's a segment (the Kansas City part's the best):

There is no doubt that 85 is a real entertainer, personally I dont put him anywhere near T.O. as far as negative influences go.

Im glad he's not a Patriots though - for all his talent he really knows how to put a bullseye on himself, and as a result his own team.

I honestly believe that his trash talking, even done in good humor, really does give opposing defenses a little something extra when they take the field.

NM

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 08:53 AM
for all his talent he really knows how to put a bullseye on himself, and as a result his own team.

I honestly believe that his trash talking, even done in good humor, really does give opposing defenses a little something extra when they take the field.

NMCome on, Can't Stop....you know that there are many Cincy fans that even feel this way....probably a majority.

X-Terminator
08-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm already looking at week 3, and the excuse that CJ will come up with after Ike shuts him down. Again.

Steelersfan4life
08-06-2006, 12:36 PM
As far as I can tell CJ is not even the best reciever on the bengals.
It seems like every time we play them Houshmanzadeh is the one who hurts our secondary

CantStop85
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Come on, Can't Stop....you know that there are many Cincy fans that even feel this way....probably a majority.
Not really...there are a few "old school" guys who wish he would tone down his antics but really the majority love him. He's been one of the integral reasons why the Bengals have returned from the basement. He's helped bring a c.ockiness to the Bengals franchise where not only the team but also the fans expect to win. I'm not saying he doesn't have a few flaws or that he doesn't take it overboard sometimes, but he does most of it for the fans...throwing presents to the crowd as a touchdown celebration at Christmas, I mean who else does that? I've met and talked to him on a few occasions...he's a very nice guy and believe it or not he's very grounded and very thankful to be where he's at right now.

I do wish he would stop referring to himself as an entertainer and just look at himself as a football player, but he works hard and does his job. I can deal with him having fun as long as he continues to do that. As far as his "trash talking" hurting the team goes...I seriously doubt the majority of the league really takes it personally anymore, I mean he does it to everyone. It's just Chad being Chad.

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Not really...there are a few "old school" guys who wish he would tone down his antics but really the majority love him. Are you trying to insinuate that I only hang out with old guys???? (lol) I've got to disagree with you on this one. I don't know how it is where you are in KY, but here in Cincy, plenty of people (even under 30) have expressed embarrasement over his trash talking and antics. People that I've talked to, on talk radio and in print. I'm not saying that they don't appreciate his skills on the field, but many do NOT appreciate the negative attention that he brings and would prefer that he let the job he does, speak for itself. :smile:

CantStop85
08-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that I only hang out with old guys???? (lol) I've got to disagree with you on this one. I don't know how it is where you are in KY, but here in Cincy, plenty of people (even under 30) have expressed embarrasement over his trash talking and antics. People that I've talked to, on talk radio and in print. I'm not saying that they don't appreciate his skills on the field, but many do NOT appreciate the negative attention that he brings and would prefer that he let the job he does, speak for itself. :smile:
By old school I mean they think old school...by the rules, by the books, hand the ball off to the ref kind of thing...no insinuations of age. Most of the people I know love him and are amused by his antics. Of course I know some people who aren't so amused by him. But the majority definitely seems to love him...just go to a Bengals game and see how many Chad Johnson jerseys you can find.

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
By old school I mean they think old school...by the rules, by the books, hand the ball off to the ref kind of thing...no insinuations of age. Most of the people I know love him and are amused by his antics. Of course I know some people who aren't so amused by him. But the majority definitely seems to love him...just go to a Bengals game and see how many Chad Johnson jerseys you can find.Whew...thanks for letting me off on the age thing! (lol) I do go to one Bengal game every year.....funny though, I just don't notice that many Chad Johnson jerseys....just a sea of black n gold! :cool:

Stlrs4Life
08-07-2006, 09:41 PM
As far as I can tell CJ is not even the best reciever on the bengals.
It seems like every time we play them Houshmanzadeh is the one who hurts our secondary

I hear ya. He has in the past.

PS, love the username!:busted:

Hawk Believer
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that I only hang out with old guys???? (lol) I've got to disagree with you on this one. I don't know how it is where you are in KY, but here in Cincy, plenty of people (even under 30) have expressed embarrasement over his trash talking and antics. People that I've talked to, on talk radio and in print. I'm not saying that they don't appreciate his skills on the field, but many do NOT appreciate the negative attention that he brings and would prefer that he let the job he does, speak for itself. :smile:
Whats your take on Joey Porter though? There is a man who knows how to talk trash. I think people like that are universally hated by their opponents but loved by their fans. Until they stop backing it up and then they become an embarrasment.

I think Gary Payton was probably my favorite I got to watch in a Sonic uniform. But I prolly would have hated him if I was a fan of another team.

floodcitygirl
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Whats your take on Joey Porter though? There is a man who knows how to talk trash. I think people like that are universally hated by their opponents but loved by their fans. Until they stop backing it up and then they become an embarrasment.

I think Gary Payton was probably my favorite I got to watch in a Sonic uniform. But I prolly would have hated him if I was a fan of another team.I wasn't saying that that is my position on CJ. I'm just saying that is the talk that I hear around here. People in Cincy generally tend toward the conservative side, obviously there are always exceptions and when it comes down to it, most fans are happy when their team is winning regardless of who helps them get there.
As for Joey Porter, I'm more partial to the Troy Polomalu personality style. :smile:

bratsinmybelly
08-07-2006, 11:42 PM

I think Gary Payton was probably my favorite I got to watch in a Sonic uniform. But I prolly would have hated him if I was a fan of another team.

The Steelers usually don't keep players around who talk alot of trash off the field. Most guys talk during games but we don't usually have many "yappers" during the pre/post game talk. Joey is obviously an exception. His personality really doesn't fit our team. His style of play certainly does. I think it goes without saying that a player like CJ wouldn't make it past training camp on this team. Cowher would dump him before he could get the pictures developed for his "list". As for Porter I really think that his personality will affect his future with the team come contract renewal time. Pittsburgh's always had an eye for LB's and I don't think they will spend alot of time or money on anyone who creates more attention off the field than on it.