PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 heroes & goats

ricardisimo
10-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Hero: Mendenhall. Welcome back, Spinny!

Goat: the refs - Ben still gets no help, ever. Meanwhile, our guys aren't allowed to play.

Fire Arians
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
mendenhall, timmons, and worilds played great imo. was nice to see someone other than woodley get some pressure consistently

ike taylor gave a piss poor effort to stop the long play to jackson which helped the 80 yard td drive.

antonio brown had a decent game, but for all the talking he did, could have done better. he had a chance to ice the game if he doesn't drop what should have been an easy td grab. considering though, he played against nmandi and held his own, i won't be too hard on him for that.

colon pisses me off sometimes. yes hes much better than kemo but if he'd cut out he penalties he could be very good.

offensive line deserves some kudos, they gave ben all day against a very strong eagles pass rush. mendenhall having a good game on the ground is making me start to think it's the RB not the line that needed to improve. the blocking is there, but redman doesn't have the burst to get through untouched before the hole closes. mendy on the other hand, does.

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 03:21 PM
i wont even start a "gameball thread" and suggest if anyone does, or is going to, it be placed right here. i would say mendenhall gets the gift from tomlin and the rest of the team as they celebrate their victory in the locker room, and i think it would be a consensus amongst the fans.

WVABE
10-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Its so great to see a running game. Mendy was beautiful, Timmons finally came alive.
Welcome back James.

PhantomJB93
10-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Hero is definitely Mendenhall, I'd also throw Timmons in there. The defense as a whole was better, although not as good as I would have liked it to be later in the game but there was more pressure and it didn't look like the swiss cheese we saw against the Raiders.

My goat(s) are definitely Wallace and Brown. They both bobbled and dropped so many catch-able passes, we should have been up by at least a touchdown or two at the end. I know Brown made some good plays to make up for it but throughout the game I just couldn't shake how many times I saw a ball go through their hands, especially considering they're both usually pretty sure-handed. My only other goat would be Colon, way too many penalties.

AndyWitmyer
10-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with everyone above, but would like to add that Squeez-um scored 3 points when it absolutely counted, and is 7 for 7 on the year (contributing 21 pts alone)

Goldsteel86
10-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Please if you guys would possibly expound on the game, sorry in the military stationed in South Carolina and had to watch the Giants vs. "The Clowns" ,anyone say would have rather spent the day watching paint dry. :banging: :banging: :banging:

AndyWitmyer
10-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I'd also like to add that Ben was sacked 0 times this game.

steelfury02
10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Ben protected = HUGE victory. This Eagles D is very good.

I was only able to watch 1st, half of 3rd and all of 4th. What is going on with Woodley?

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Heroes: Offense Mendenhall Defense Timmons (9 tackles) and Foote (8 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries)

Goat: Mike Wallace: 2 receptions for 17 yards and 0 TDs (sure, you deserve over $11 million/year) :rolleyes:

steelers33
10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Hero-Mendenhall

Goat-Wallace

Hero and goat, but mainly goat-Willie Colon

Lady Steel
10-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Hero-Mendenhall

Goat-Wallace

I agree. I was really disappointed in Wallace today.

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 04:08 PM
great point on bens 0 sacks. last time vs the eagles he was sacked 8 times w/ a couple of ints i think and we lost something like 14-6.

haleys offense isnt perfect (yet) but 5 weeks in, it is where i woulda expected arians offense to be 5 years in.

woodley hurt his hamstring about the same time polamalu left in the first quarter.

heath miller really plays with a mean nasty streak. alot of opponents seem to want to fight him until they get up and realize "oh, thats just heath playing fair and balls out like always".

mundy made a kick ass hit that drew an undeserved flag. i sure hope he isnt fined.

clarks hit was alittle late and it appeared he was cleaning up. he probably will get a fine just because goodell feels he has to...

shady mccoy is a hell of a player. we held him to 53 yds on 16 rushes.

timmons played like a pro bowl calibur player many of us hope for and expect.

james looked healthy. i thought he would have the least impact between him troy and mendenhall returning.

mendenhalls early return was nothing short of amazing. didnt look tenative at all. gotta love modern medicine.

ben looks great. better than ever. he would never admit it, but i think he is really happy with haley as his new boss.

casteeler
10-07-2012, 04:11 PM
No mention to Brown? Not sure of his stats but he was great. Goats were as usual the DBs

AgentGold007
10-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Heroes: Mendenhall, Timmons, Suisham; Goats: Wallace, Cotchery

AgentGold007
10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Oh, how in the hell could I forget Willie Colon, the biggest goat of all!

Millers the sh!t
10-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Heroes: Offense Mendenhall Defense Timmons (9 tackles) and Foote (8 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries)

Goat: Mike Wallace: 2 receptions for 17 yards and 0 TDs (sure, you deserve over $11 million/year) :rolleyes:

Definitely agree with ya. Wallace dropped a few catchable passes that would have kept pur offense on the field. Not a top receiver on the league as far as talent goes.

TRH
10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Wallace is proving our front-office dead on accurate. He's worth what we've offered to him. And thats it. No more.
He's not quite among the league's elite though (at least not yet....), certainly not worth the sun, the moon, and the stars which is what his agent is trying to soak us for.

TRH
10-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Goat: Colon (give me a break, he's been around long enough to know better)

Hero: Suisham and Mendendhall. I'm not a big Mendenhall fan, but it showed we really needed him back.

Disappointment: Polamalu and Woodley injuries. I love Troy as much as the rest, but its time to go. He's no use to us anymore. He's on the bench FAR more than he even plays. And when he is out there, its 50%. His injury time is getting to the point of ridiculous.

Also.....refs. Man, it really seems as if they have it in for us.

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Oh, how in the hell could I forget Willie Colon, the biggest goat of all!

seriously, Colon had FOUR holding penalties I believe...wtf? :banging:

lardlad
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Timmons was a monster today. So far on the season, I think Foote has responded well to fill in for Farrior.

Mendy was obviously good, but Redman ran well too. Maybe the oline deserves a lot of credit. Ben stayed fairly clean.

I'll add this. They won, but they need to stop playing so sloppy. At home, 2 takeaways, we still had to squeak it out. If they play like they are capable, this is a blowout. Not a good game at all, but its a win.

FrancoLambert
10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Hero: Mendy, breaking arm tackles and making people miss.
Goat: Cotchery, tripped up by ?

Honorable Mention Goats: Colon, DB's
Honorable Mention Heroes: Haley's playcalling, Ben in the clutch

TRH
10-07-2012, 05:15 PM
there could be lots of different responses to "goats" and "heroe's" in todays game. Most listed already i agree with.

grward
10-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Without a doubt the hero is Mendy ... I will admit I had doubt before the game! Great runs by Mendy though! Without his yardage we lose that game!

Hero runner up goes to several ... BB, Timmons (gawd I hope he keeps playing at this level!), Brown (when he actually caught the ball), Heath (who is ALWAYS clutch!) and Harrison (for playing with passion on his first game back!)

The goat ... EVERY player who drew a penalty! We gave up over 100 yards in penalties today. Even if the Refs are against us, which I believe they are ... a lot of those penalties were called correctly.

Goat runner up ... those $!*!#@ refs! Seriously! Call the game fairly. I know many are calling goat on Wallace, but he was getting held on many of his routes!

Disappointments are the injuries to Woodley and Polamalu. I heard (albeit from a Poopstain fan) that Polamalu said he likes to be around the guys and to practice, but doesn't care much for playing anymore. Anyone have info on that? Because I smell bullsh!t from a jealous fan!

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Honorable Mention Goats: Colon, DB's
DB's??? for what?

a few bullshit flags and safeties playing physical? the only flag i saw on them that wa sdeserved was r. clark with a late hit.

ike talyor missed a tackle on shady mccoy in the backfield that 95% of the other CB's wouldnt have made (let alone be there to attempt).

other than that, vick threw for a whopping 175 yds.

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I gotta give a hero award to Shaun Suisham also, he's perfect on the season so far and kicked 3FGs today including the game winner at the end of the game! :tt03:

4xSBChamps
10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/DonovanMcNabbEaglesTrophyCase.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/MichaelVick-QBcrueltyisOK.jpg

lipps83
10-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Anyone notice the less we brought the heat in the second half the easier it was for Dan Marino, I mean, Michael Vick complete his passes?

Coincidence?

I am sure Lebeau was just trying to confuse him.

austinfrench76
10-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Lots of hero's but my main goat is Wallace. What a dissapointment. He didn't even try to jump on that long pass in the endzone. Rewatch the game. His entire attiude in the game was awful. Soooo disappointing. Just can't figure it out. Guys either pitching a fit about not getting his money or he really doesn't care. I hope this changes but too many drops for the money he wants. Brown is definitely Ben's favorite anyways! Nice win and we need Thursday!

NCBlackWolf
10-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Hero: TImmons

Goat: Troy "Cliff Claven Calves" Polomalu's calves. Jeez. Get and stay healthy, Troy.
Mundy is killing us.

lipps83
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Goat: Troy "Cliff Claven Calves" Polomalu's calves. Jeez. Get and stay healthy, Troy.

Sadly, I think those days have passed. He has never been able to stay healthy and has had concussion problems his whole career, now he has full body problems.

He has always been a very physical player. I think his body is letting him know it close to the point that it has taken enough of a beating.

TRH
10-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Sadly, I think those days have passed. He has never been able to stay healthy and has had concussion problems his whole career, now he has full body problems.

He has always been a very physical player. I think his body is letting him know it close to the point that it has taken enough of a beating.

i agree. It's getting very, very late in the game to "get and stay health, Troy....". He's about had it.

TRH
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Lots of hero's but my main goat is Wallace. What a dissapointment. He didn't even try to jump on that long pass in the endzone. Rewatch the game. His entire attiude in the game was awful. Soooo disappointing. Just can't figure it out. Guys either pitching a fit about not getting his money or he really doesn't care. I hope this changes but too many drops for the money he wants. Brown is definitely Ben's favorite anyways! Nice win and we need Thursday!

Wallace loafed at the end of last year. I'm wondering if he's damaging his value, which was a possibility. No way we up our offers at this point, unless he all of a sudden somehow turns into the second coming of Jerry Rice.

harrison'samonster
10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
hero: Mendenhall, Timmons, Foote

goat: very disappointed in Wallace. For the money he's getting he needs to step it up

OX1947
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM

All he is thinking about is his money. He doesnt care.

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 06:25 PM

he should, if he keeps dropping balls and not giving full effort he's not gonna get that $11.5 million/year he thinks he so truly deserves as one of the league's top wideouts...

ricardisimo
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Wallace got held a lot early on, so I think at some point he settled into decoy mode. Not great, and not sure how he's hoping to cash in on this season with performances like that.

Colon had a rough day, to be sure. On the other hand, almost all of the big running holes were through him. You take the good with the bad, and you have to have patience with a guy basically learning a new position on the opposite side of the line.

Keenan Lewis took some plays off, I thought, especially in run support. He was up-and-down.

Darkstorm05
10-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Based on the 4 games this year, Heath Miller should be getting Wallace's big contract. Pretty sure he currently has more yards and TDs than Wallace does.

yeckley92
10-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Heath has been a big part of this team always, he is great.

TRH
10-07-2012, 07:18 PM

One thing is for certain : our FO is never going to offer him more than they already have. Especially after its become painfully obvious in the last few weeks that we'll have to invest very, very big money in our defense over the next few years (more than we previously thought).
He may get it somewhere else.....but it ain't happening here.

Darkstorm05
10-07-2012, 07:24 PM
One thing is for certain : our FO is never going to offer him more than they already have. Especially after its become painfully obvious in the last few weeks that we'll have to invest very, very big money in our defense over the next few years (more than we previously thought).

Agreed. He's gone after this year, unless he cuts his pricetag in a big way. On the bright side, next year we should have the salary cap close to being in hand, and get some fresh stars onto the D, perhaps. If DeCastro and Adams pan out, we can maybe grab one more O-Lineman early and use the other high picks for defense.

btaylor179
10-07-2012, 07:50 PM
wrs dropped way to many balls/ol had to many penalties/never realized mendys worth/ike taylor is still over rated

Curtain_of_Steel
10-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Well Mike Wallace dropped a couple, imo that he shouldve had. However since everyone including Ike taylor is allowed to have a bad game here or so I have read, I'll givehim a pass. Hopefully that is Mikes bad game. Brown had a drop or 2 as well not a stellar performance from him either.

Colon loves the penalties, still.

Now my Favorite weekly GOAT.... Drum roll please.

For the 4th time this year in as many game. IKE "let me just grab'em"TAYLOR. No matter what WR he goes agaisnt he either gets beat or is called for a penalty. Maclin beat him, Jackson beat him. The stats need to start adding in the penalties on PI's to the yardage a shut down corner gives up. Randall Gay has played better than the great Ike Taylor.

Mendy had a great game and deserves the ball, but equally, bringing a running game back didn't exactly provide us with a stellar offense.A win is a win though.
Was that pass a lateral to Mendy? I have yet to have time to look at it, it only cost me 15pts in fantasy, LOL

teegre
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
DROPPY MENDENDPIN
What a comeback!!!

I must eat some crow: he is really good. [Although, I still say that I would have preferred Ray Rice in the 2008 draft... but, let's not rehash that debate.]

On a day where some players looked apathetic, Droppy was was insane!!! What a difference.

NOTE: I eliminated the nickname Spinny (although, the "spin" is still at the end, as a reminder of what used to be).... and changed his name to Droppy, when he had that asinine fumble. Seriously, he could possibly have run for a 70-yard TD, but instead, decided to bounce the ball off of his thigh. Droppy... why must you do things to make me cringe!?! You were awesome... don't make me angry. I guess that even Picasso needed something upon which to improve.

Great, great game. Purpose, power, and speed. Reminds me of when he shredded USC...

TIMMONS
2009 'Nuff said.

WALLACE
Zero effort on deep end-zone pass

Two other drops, one on third, that would have kept a critical drive alive.

Called for a dumb penalty.

As my brother stated: "The Steelers were smart; they gave the right guy (AB) the money."

I have been a huge supporter if Wallace, but he drew forth my ire today. As my friend & I were texting to each other: "F*ck Wallace!!!"... )at least for today).

THE COLON
Some of his blocks... wow!!! The dude is a beast... with smooth hip turn & fluid feet. Really though, his blocking is what we all envisioned: meeean.

Alas, he held FOURTEEN times!!! What!?!... it was only four!?! Well, it FELT like fourteen.

COTCHERY
Not a goat, but, falling down sucked. That TD would have been huge.

AB
Similar to Cotchery: not a goat, but he dropped (a difficult) TD.

Darkstorm05
10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
For the 4th time this year in as many game. IKE "let me just grab'em"TAYLOR. No matter what WR he goes agaisnt he either gets beat or is called for a penalty. Maclin beat him, Jackson beat him. The stats need to start adding in the penalties on PI's to the yardage a shut down corner gives up. Randall Gay has played better than the great Ike Taylor.

This wasn't one of his better games. I saw some saying he "Shut down" his targets, but really he was lucky he didn't draw a few more PI calls. The announcers a few times rolled replays where he all but had a saddle on his WR and didn't get flagged. There were at least 3 blatant holds he got away with today.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Darkstorm:

My point is, as I have been on Ikes ass since Tebow and the little known WR is Denver schooled him. Well the powers to be here cited, "oh its one week, look at all the great weeks he has had here".. Well we are 4 weeks deep now, and every week he has performed miserably.

Your 100% right, he shouldve been nailed a couple more times. He is getting beat 5 yards into the route, and his only recourse is to hold on. His stats are about as misleading as they come.

Last year they argued here that Ike was the fastest on the team. Well that argument doesn't get past the first word now.

defence
10-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Trade him to the Jets. They may be desperate. Wallace is no big money wr. He"s too streaky and today he showed no interest; although he was held on at least 2 or 3 plays that should have been called.

Goats. The refs!!! I know some of you guys jumping on Ike; that was no pass interference just like that personal foul on Mundy was a joke. Bad day for the stripes.

Heroes. The running game!!! Allof them. Job well done!!:tt03:

StainlessStill
10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
colon pisses me off sometimes. yes hes much better than kemo but if he'd cut out he penalties he could be very good.

Very barely is Colon better than Kemo and that's charting putrid territory. In EVERY GAME this season, Colon is nothing but a drive-killer. He might be mean, but he's too out of control and even chokes guys consistently on occasion. Honestly, we need a natural guard on the left side because Colon is absolutley killing us game to game.

Hero's: Mendenhall, Timmons, Worlids, Roethlisberger, Harrison & Suisham

Goats: Colon, Mundy, Keisel, Pouncey (2 very hard hot snaps) and Wallace

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Very barely is Colon better than Kemo

Colon is way better than Kemo.

whereas Kemo's personal foul penalties alway cost us 15 yards, Colon's holding penalties are only 10 yards.

pittpete
10-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Goats: Colon, Mundy, Keisel, Pouncey (2 very hard hot snaps) and Wallace

How was Keisel a goat, he was all over the field in the first half?

Bayz101
10-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Mendenhall, without a doubt. He gave us the spark in the running game we've needed this season, and he's hitting the holes stronger than I've ever seen. Keep it up Mendy, see you Thursday!

Fire Arians
10-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Colon is way better than Kemo.

whereas Kemo's personal foul penalties alway cost us 15 yards, Colon's holding penalties are only 10 yards.

not to mention kemo is usually good for 1-3 sacks a game. ben didn't go down once today, and against philly's pass rush, that's huge

AgentGold007
10-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Honorable mention hero for Manny Sanders on that clutch first down catch on the last drive. It was a pretty high throw from Ben, But Manny made a good grab on that to keep the drive going.

bornaSteelersfan
10-08-2012, 03:26 AM
In all fairness, that game would have been a rain out if it was The Pirates. The ball was scooting out of everyones hands. A few dropped passes certainly doesn't surprise me based on those conditions.

:football: Mendy gets my game ball all the way.

We could have easily won by scoring 6 TD's:
1. Cotchery tripped on his own feet
2. Ben overthrew a wide open Heath.
3. Mendy had a clear run to a TD before fumbling it out of bounds
4. Antonio Brown couldn't hold on to an endzone pass.
5. Wallace couldn't catch that little blooper Ben threw to him (he catches it, he's gone)
6. The one TD we did get from Mendenhall.

The only reason I will give a goat to Wallace is not for his dropped passes, but for his Illegal Formation call that negated Mendy's 22 yard scamper in the first quater. Mendy would have broken 100 yards rushing if not for that.

This should have been a clear blow-out. Why do our Steelers have to consistently make it look harder than it really is? Hell, I'll take the win. :tt02:

Rick5895
10-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Ben and Mendy are heroes as is IMO, the O Line. Couple of goats out there but to me the officiating is putrid. Our WR's did not help a lot. The drops and lackadaisical play kept us from building a big lead.
Wallace was poor, but, he had played well his first few games of the season and struggled today. So why all the hate here? As much as Ike could've been called for PI so could the Eagles WR's been called for offensive PI.
It appears on here that some people are looking for any mistake by our DB's to jump all over them and say how bad our secondary is For crying out loud we held the eagles , with all that speed at WR and a fairly decent TE, not to mention a great RB to 175 yards passing and Mccoy to 53 yards rushing, What the hell do you guys want? Zeroes across the board. The second TD drive was aided by penaltieson Mundy and a fictitious one on Clark. This is the NFL receivers are going to get open, no matter who the DB is.

Fire Haley
10-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Mendy and squeeze-em and Vick's fumbles won the day

but it was Ben that got them there

ricardisimo
10-08-2012, 04:11 AM
... The second TD drive was aided by penaltieson Mundy and a fictitious one on Clark.
Other way around. Clark's was legit, and he will be getting some mail from the league this week. I hope it's not a suspension.

Bayz101
10-08-2012, 05:55 AM
In all fairness, that game would have been a rain out if it was The Pirates. The ball was scooting out of everyones hands. A few dropped passes certainly doesn't surprise me based on those conditions.

5. Wallace couldn't catch that little blooper Ben threw to him (he catches it, he's gone)

The only reason I will give a goat to Wallace is not for his dropped passes, but for his Illegal Formation call that negated Mendy's 22 yard scamper in the first quater. Mendy would have broken 100 yards rushing if not for that.

This should have been a clear blow-out. Why do our Steelers have to consistently make it look harder than it really is? Hell, I'll take the win. :tt02:

This.

grward
10-08-2012, 08:15 AM
It appears on here that some people are looking for any mistake by our DB's to jump all over them and say how bad our secondary is For crying out loud we held the eagles , with all that speed at WR and a fairly decent TE, not to mention a great RB to 175 yards passing and Mccoy to 53 yards rushing, What the hell do you guys want? Zeroes across the board. The second TD drive was aided by penaltieson Mundy and a fictitious one on Clark. This is the NFL receivers are going to get open, no matter who the DB is.

This!

teegre
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM

I had predicted 6 TDs... so, dagnabbit, I would have been right!!!

Actually, Cotchery's slip & AB's dropped TD came on the same drive... so, five TDs, but, shhhh... I'm still going to say 6 TDs.

Mendy's fumble was odd and/or annoying... because, a) no one touched him, and b) he would have had a 70-yard TD.

But, I was most frustrated by the Cotchery/AB missed opportunity, because that TD would have put the Steelers up by 10 (as opposed to only 6). That TD, or lack thereof, "could" have cost the Steelers the game.

grward
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Mendy's fumble was odd and/or annoying... because, a) no one touched him, and b) he would have had a 70-yard TD.

Odd and annoying because he held the ball like a high school player. The ball SHOULD have been in his left hand and closer to his body. If he continues carrying the ball like a loaf of bread then his running game is going to hurt us at a critical moment! I'm glad he's back and he did a great job yesterday ... but just secure the rock!

teegre
10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Odd and annoying because he held the ball like a high school player. The ball SHOULD have been in his left hand and closer to his body. If he continues carrying the ball like a loaf of bread then his running game is going to hurt us at a critical moment! I'm glad he's back and he did a great job yesterday ... but just secure the rock!

Whenever I see him carrying the ball like that (which is often), I hold my breath.

My brother simply screams, "Secure that damn ball!!!"

JVip
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
heroes: Mendy, Timmons & the OL (minus Colon)
goat: Wallace

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Not a hero, but any of you guys notice Mike Adams get some time at RT yesterday? I wonder if by design to get him some game experience. I thought he played well, but needs a stronger punch.

teegre
10-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Not a hero, but any of you guys notice Mike Adams get some time at RT yesterday? I wonder if by design to get him some game experience. I thought he played well, but needs a stronger punch.

It's the little things. As Al Pacino said "the inches."

Some other small things:

-Cameron Heyward playing more.
-Ryan Clark's sure tackling.
-The Colon taking the DT to the ground... legally.

FrancoLambert
10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
DB's??? for what?

a few bullshit flags and safeties playing physical? the only flag i saw on them that wa sdeserved was r. clark with a late hit.

ike talyor missed a tackle on shady mccoy in the backfield that 95% of the other CB's wouldnt have made (let alone be there to attempt).

other than that, vick threw for a whopping 175 yds.

Here's some of what I saw:
Keenan Lewis losing a tackle in the backfield, I believe on a big 4th down play.
His coverage wasn't that strong either.
Mundy fanning on (didn't count) tackles.
Ike with some weak effort.
Soft coverage and late reactions. (not always the players fault I know, it can be scheme).
I think they didn't play well as a group.

TheVet
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Agreed. He's gone after this year, unless he cuts his pricetag in a big way. On the bright side, next year we should have the salary cap close to being in hand, and get some fresh stars onto the D, perhaps. If DeCastro and Adams pan out, we can maybe grab one more O-Lineman early and use the other high picks for defense.

DeCastro has already panned out. He's injured, but he's already established himself as our best offensive lineman other than Pouncey. Nobody else is even close to those two right now. I'm still high on Adams, let's see him progress!

Otherwise, ughhh. Starks is doing what he does, holding down the position adequately. Foster, Gilbert, Colon - all below the line. We need Willie to learn the snap counts. At least that's realistic; learning how to pass protect doesn't seem to be achievable. We need Gilbert to get his head right. Foster - what can you say, other than frustrating. You keep thinking he's going to take the next step, then he gets beaten like a drum.

TheVet
10-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Goats: Wallace, Mundie, Colon
Heroes: Timmons, Ben, Heath, Pouncey, Mendy

tony hipchest
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Keenan Lewis losing a tackle in the backfield, I believe on a big 4th down play.
Soft coverage and late reactions. (not always the players fault I know, it can be scheme).
I think they didn't play well as a group.

if a secondary played a perfect game, the offense wouldnt complete a single pass, so by those lofty standards, i guess they suck.

i expect a pro bowl, top running back in the league to make an average 1st year starting cb to miss 4/5 times. :noidea:

mccoy also sidestepped ike taylor torpedoing into the backfield from about 15 yards deep. i thought it was great effert and speed, just an even better juke by mccoy.

shit happens at the speed of game. i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :cheers:

jiminpa
10-08-2012, 08:15 PM
if a secondary played a perfect game, the offense wouldnt complete a single pass, so by those lofty standards, i guess they suck.

i expect a pro bowl, top running back in the league to make an average 1st year starting cb to miss 4/5 times. :noidea:

mccoy also sidestepped ike taylor torpedoing into the backfield from about 15 yards deep. i thought it was great effert and speed, just an even better juke by mccoy.

shit happens at the speed of game. i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :cheers:Great observations, and even on the rare occasions that I disagree with your conclusions I can't fault your logic. You hit the nail on the head with this post.

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I think they didn't play well as a group.after a second viewing, here is what i am seeing-

on phillys 2nd drive, ike is stride for stride, shoulder to shoulder with as good as coverage as you can get on a speedy jeremy maclin. the ball is in the air and ike starts to look back. maclin has no choice but to grab ikes arm, pull it down, and throw him off his stride. the refs call pass interference on ike. 1st and goal.

next play is quick pass right off the line of scrimmage to jeremy maclin. keenan lewis quickly closes and makes a great push that just barely keeps him from scoring. 2nd and goal.

next play is a qb keeper. vick looks to score but clark darts in like a speeding bullet and puts a helmet directly on the ball. even the strongest qb or rb probably couldnt have held on to it preventing the fumble into the endzone that the steelers recovered.

that was classic dominant defense where 3 in the secondary stepped up under adversity, on consecutive plays, and prevented a score.

it was very reminiscent of the 2008 defense where they stepped up on many occasions (along with the offense) to win games.

of course in 2008 there was a rough stretch losing to the eagles, colts, and giants in a little over a month early in the season, and people thought we sucked then and gave lackluster efforts as well.

go back and check the threads. there were plenty of people tossing in the towel, just like they are now. same as in 2005. i'll wait until were on the verge of playoff elimination before i start predicting doom, or calling out players for pathetic preformances. until then, i will blame the refs or tip my cap to the opponents for getting paid and showing up to the game ready to play as well. :hatsoff:

oh, and keenan lewis also forced a fumble on desean jackson as well but it was recovered by eagles. :noidea:

ricardisimo
10-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I think folks need to keep Ed Bouchette's perspective as much as possible: Did you enjoy the game, the season, the post-season? Hopefully yes. Anything else is gravy.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2012, 11:02 PM
go back and check the threads. there were plenty of people tossing in the towel, just like they are now. same as in 2005. i'll wait until were on the verge of playoff elimination before i start predicting doom, or calling out players for pathetic preformances. until then, i will blame the refs or tip my cap to the opponents for getting paid and showing up to the game ready to play as well. :hatsoff:
:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25158120.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
10-11-2012, 12:50 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25158120.jpg

never throw in the damn towel...

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/46/574be4b086d42d860e5d7c5472d8cd81/l.jpg