PDA

View Full Version : What do the Steelers need????

AllAmericanSteelerGirl#7
06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
What do the Steelers need to do to finally win a SuperBowl?? I personally think that they need to go in with a chip on their shoulder. What really helped the Steelers win last year was their unity towards one another. And thats why the Steelers are such a good football team, they are all like family and that makes them special. They need to use last year as their motivator. I don't know about you, but going 15 games undefeated and then losing to the Pats...but not only that, to see the Pats celebrate on OUR field, at OUR home...was heartbreaking. And I think the Steelers should use that memory to motivate them to not want to feel that again. What do you think?

~AllAmer~

Ironman
06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
I agree with all of what you said... on top of that... I think we need to solidify the offensive line... I think Duce and the Bus need to stay healthy... I think Ben needs to prove early on that last year was not a fluke and maintain his confidence... I think we need another hard-hitting safety to compliment Polomalu. I think we need to throw to the new TE. Other than all that, we're set. :)

clevestinks
06-14-2005, 04:05 PM
All good points Ironman. And AAG I do think a little attitude couldn`t hurt. I think a good cover corner(s) so that our safeties could roam around a little more like Troy does. Hopefully McFadden and Townsend or Coc will work just fine. I beleive we do need to stick to our gameplan running the ball, clock management, and great pressure D. But also change if needed depending on the other team. And lets hope we don`t hear the word CONSERVATIVE this season.

Prosdo
06-14-2005, 06:35 PM
All extremely good points guys. The ones I'm big on are keep that chip on your shoulder, ben show them you're the best out there, pass to our TE, and stay healthy

bigbensgirl7
06-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I agree Prosdo...but I think the #1 thing is for Ben to prove he is not a 1 yr. wonder. He needs to go out there and show everyone that he can bounce back after the playoffs and still be as stong as he was last year! I think with our improved offense and the expanded playbook, we will see that. I think if that happens the rest should fall into place.
And I don't think we have anything to worry about with them going in without a chip on their shoulder...esp. with the lack of respect they are getting right now! They will be fired up this season to prove that they were 15-1 good last year, and a SB contender this year!

clevestinks
06-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Healthy, that is probably the key. Its not always the best team throughout the season, its who remains healthy,

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2005, 11:10 PM
What we need...

Ben to not digress or get a big head from the success he has last year.. we need him to play w/in his means and let this team mates help him

The OL needs to stay healthy w/ all 5 starters playing together the whole year w/ minimal or no injuries

Duce to stay healthy so Bettis stays healthy when we need them both.

Randle EL to step up to the plate this year.

The young secondary to hit hard use their youth and speed to make up for some of the inexperience especially in the nickle and dime.

Coach cowher to not get consertative at the wrong times or too early.

Whisenhunt to allow ben enough freedom and enough of the playbook to have as many options as possible on every play.

STEEL-MAN
06-16-2005, 07:32 AM
The Steelers need to balance their season and not burnout before the playoffs. The team needs to start well, glide for a while then build steam going into the playoffs. The thing I've noticed about BC teams around playoff time is that they struggle to pick it up; they play like the tank is empty. BC should spend some time learning what it takes to prepare a team for the season that includes a playoff period; a few lessons from Knoll wouldn't hurt, NE did! I hate sounding old school but the Steelers of the 70's were the best at knowing when to bring it, when to pick it up, they knew how to hold a little back for a later time, balance! Great coaches and teams find balance and find a way to play their best when it matters.

rowedf
06-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Healthy, that is probably the key. Its not always the best team throughout the season, its who remains healthy,

^^^^^Absolutely the #1 thing.

I believe they have all the pieces. If people perform like they did last year, we will be fine.

Stlrs4Life
06-16-2005, 10:14 PM
A strong OL. I feel that is where our season goes. Just look back at the 3 seasons we didn't make the playoffs. Our OL wasn't the best.

TheWretchedMass
06-21-2005, 07:17 AM
What the squeelers really need is a head coach who can win a AFC championship title game...has coward won one?....I'm not sure but I don't think so.

KeystoneKC
06-21-2005, 08:42 AM
What the squeelers really need is a head coach who can win a AFC championship title game...has coward won one?....I'm not sure but I don't think so.

Cowher began as Head Coach in 1992. The Steelers won the AFC Championship in 1995.

Avoid LLoyd1975
06-21-2005, 12:43 PM
What it basically boils down to is playing to our strenghts as a team. I hope Ben gets rid of his arrogant cocky attitude and helps this team. He didn't prove anything to me last year. He is not the owner/leader of this team yet. That throne belongs to Jerome. Anyone can be a decent QB when you only have to throw the ball 39% of the time with a squad of pro bowlers around you. Don't get me wrong I am glad he is on our team, but he needs to step up his play. So he asks to have more of the playbook thrown at him,... great. That does not make him any better until he performs the plays on the field. I hope he has the best season in steelers history. But until he does, he is just another name on the roster in my book.

It is not the dog in the fight, it is the fight in the dog......That will determine our destiny.

Bamataco1
06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi I'm new here but I think that to take the next step(win a super bowl) Cowher has to go. I know that this will not be a popular idea, but I feel that it is the right move. Cowher is a good regular season coach. Just like his mentor Marty Shotenhiemer, but just like MartyShotenhiemer, Cowher can't take the next step. According to the NFL, home teams win 75% of championship games yet Cowher loses 100% of home championship games. He is to predictable and to conservative. On top of that the team holds onto some player to far past thier prime ie. Bettis. Yes I know the arguement lok how well he did last season. But that was after almost two full seasons of rest. How much do you think that he has left in the tank? He is way to slow now. His longest runs would have been much longer with a younger tail back.

Avoid LLoyd1975
06-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I totally agree bamataco1. I like JB alot but damn the fat man should have retired already. He is way beyond his prime and should lay to rest. And for Bill Cowher....Please learn how to coach in the playoffs or leave. This town can't withstand another blow to the head like we have endured with you every championship home game loss. We should or could have had a possible 9 superbowl rings right now....? I would rather take a fiery rookie coach right from the college ranks right now who feels he has something more to prove than some bum who can't win a championship at least once out of five attempts. (1 superbowl loss and 4 championship losses all at home. Chargers, Broncos and New England twice.

bengalsfan21
06-23-2005, 01:18 PM
To whip the patriots ass... :D

clevestinks
06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Wow, alot of difference in opinions. We need a ring soon. We have to many weapons to waste. We need Hines signed B4 the season starts. We need Cowher to shrug off the past and Git-R-Done!

atlsteelers
06-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, cowher needs to do something different in the playoffs, too predictable. i sum up cohwer's playoff performance on the *sshole play call on the 4ht down play were jerome fumbles in the 1st quarter agianst new england. i would have allowed ben to pass/run on a roll out. that same had worked so well in the regular season, why not one more time. cowher is tough, i am stuck with two coaches/managers that get alot out of their teams but just can not get it done in the playoffs - i am a braves fan. it does not get much worse than watching them collapse every year in the playoffs unitl cowher stinks it up! it takes a month just to get out of the funk after they loose in the playoffs.