PDA

View Full Version : Sooner or later, the league will suspend Ryan Clark

Hawaii 5-0
10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Sooner or later, the league will suspend Ryan Clark

by Mark Kaboly

Whether you agree or not, whether it is warranted or not, it is only a matter of time before the league suspends Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

Clark was flagged for a late hit against Philadelphia tight end Brent Celek Sunday, but easily could've been called for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Out of all of his penalties over the past couple years, this one was the most egregious.

The hit was clearly after the whistle and it was clearly helmet-to-helmet contact, and obviously he is a multiple offender.

Clark was fined $55,000 with a span of a week in early November last year for hitting the head of Rob Gronkowski then Ed Dickson. The hit on Dickson cost Clark $40,000.

Now, Clark's hit on Celek isn't bad enough to warrant a suspension on its own merit, but when you continue to stack up fines in a short period of time like Clark, it will be only a matter of time that they will sit him down for a game.

The NFL did it to James Harrison last year and Denver linebacker Joe Mays this year, so there is precedent.

It's well within the NFL's rights to do so. It's just a question of when they pull the trigger.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/8bd892a6-c2b5-4e79-8eb7-6e690833f9a1/?source=twitter

Darkstorm05
10-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Like it or not, this is true. Even Harrison is pulling his hits now. However, hitting Gronkowski should result in a bonus instead of a fine.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Im not sold on suspensions unless its blatant.

Clark will be fined, and regardless of what the ref's called it, the league could change it to helmet to helmet anyway. He shouldve been flagged.

Darkstorm05
10-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Im not sold on suspensions unless its blatant.

Clark will be fined, and regardless of what the ref's called it, the league could change it to helmet to helmet anyway. He shouldve been flagged.

The thing is, the fines now lead to mandatory suspensions. "Blatant" and "Malicious" don't factor in. They're not going to stop throwing these down.

Steelerfreak58
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Goodell hates the Steelers and its defensive philosophy the original poster is correct.

grward
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Leave it to the media to dictate what goofdell does. If the media starts bringing it up you can rest assure he will suspend Clark.

Rotorhead
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Well if he is, at least we can see if #4 safety is better than Mundy since they will both be playing.

TRH
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Clark is such a vicious hitter, he doesn't mean to hit with the head, but sometimes it happens. I believe at some point, yes, he will be a suspension victim.

EbonySteel86
10-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Never thought I'd see the day that being a "HITTER" is frowned on in the NFL...damn shame!

jiminpa
10-08-2012, 06:24 PM
"Welcome to the No Football League. Everything you learned in high school and college is now wrong." Hmmm, sounds kind of like every other profession now that I type it.

teegre
10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
"Welcome to the No Football League. Everything you learned in high school and college is now wrong." Hmmm, sounds kind of like every other profession now that I type it.

Well played. :applaudit:

tony hipchest
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Leave it to the media to dictate what goofdell does. If the media starts bringing it up you can rest assure he will suspend Clark.you could be right in regards to hypocritical goodell, who doesnt undertand his own rules, changes them on a whim, is inconsistant in the enforcement and may just decide to do it for the hell of it.

but in this case, the media (mark kaboly) had to answer to the subject of his article-

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Sooner or later, the league will suspend Ryan Clark http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/8bd892a6-c2b5-4e79-8eb7-6e690833f9a1/?source=twitter

ryan clark‏@RealRClark25

@MarkKaboly_Trib Can't have a helmet to helmet hit on a runner. A reporter who'd done his research before writing his story would know that

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

@RealRClark25 -- Believe or not, even I make a mistake from time to time. I do apologize for that. That was unacceptable on my part.

austinfrench76
10-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Clark plays hard. So be it.

Fire Arians
10-08-2012, 11:39 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QkR9-UHsCoA/Ti-jM5xsUlI/AAAAAAAAAUY/fiNVlHAQOAA/s1600/AdolfGoodell-01.png

austinfrench76
10-09-2012, 12:05 AM
And eventually, Goodell will suspend every Steeler. That's just reality!

pitt0wns
10-09-2012, 02:37 AM
It's football, they are paid to get hit.

How can a defensive player judge where the other players head is going to be when they go in for the hit? The hits are fine until someone is laying on the ground.

I'm sooooo sick of hearing about this b.s.

LayingTheWoodley56
10-09-2012, 08:55 AM
That was an illegal hit in that it was helmet-to-helmet, but it was NOT late. The play was still going, and I for one was actually very impressed with the explosiveness and closing speed with which RC came flying in there to deliver a shot. It's amazing that a guy with his frame can crush guys the way he does. Here's hoping that he does not get fined, because I'm not really keen on seeing an Allen/Mundy starting safety combo.

Fire Arians
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
That was an illegal hit in that it was helmet-to-helmet, but it was NOT late. The play was still going, and I for one was actually very impressed with the explosiveness and closing speed with which RC came flying in there to deliver a shot. It's amazing that a guy with his frame can crush guys the way he does. Here's hoping that he does not get fined, because I'm not really keen on seeing an Allen/Mundy starting safety combo.

not illegal, he wasn't in a defenseless position where he's in the middle of trying to catch a ball. if he doesnt want to get creamed after he gets stood up maybe he should try going down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
not illegal, he wasn't in a defenseless position where he's in the middle of trying to catch a ball. if he doesnt want to get creamed after he gets stood up maybe he should try going down.

Are we talking about Clark's late hit?? The whistle had definately blown well in advance and Clark has to avoid the shot on that one.

If you disagree, watch it again and imagine it was Kurt Coleman coming in late on Antonio Brown and you will see it was a justified call.

As for the Kaboly article....he is going to the Ron Cook school of journalism. Write an opinion piece with something negative and outlandish to get a response from fans who will read your article. Jerry Springer would be proud.

tony hipchest
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
clarks hit was boarderline bush league but its his job to instill fear in the ball cather/carrier.

if a runner falls to the ground, a defender can legally touch him down or spear him in the back of the head/neck with all his might.

the player showing sportsmanship will simply conserve energy (and reduce possible self inflicted injury) and simply tag the runner down.

Darkstorm05
10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
clarks hit was boarderline bush league but its his job to instill fear in the ball cather/carrier.

if a runner falls to the ground, a defender can legally touch him down or spear him in the back of the head/neck with all his might.

the player showing sportsmanship will simply conserve energy (and reduce possible self inflicted injury) and simply tag the runner down.

Look at the hit that KO'd RG3 as an example. He was angling to the sideline, and it was pretty clear he was going to down himself. Still, he got his head torn off, when alternatively a touch would have handled it.

When you see a 285lb monster coming for you, you can either assume he'll obey the rules of a gentleman, or you can protect yourself, just in case. If you want to be a hero and extend yourself to catch balls in traffic, you have to expect to get wrecked from time to time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Yes, I agree that Clark is a hitter and he rides the line. As a Steeler fan I can try and defend that hit, but as an objective football fan...I can honestly say that was a penalty.

As for other calls like Wallace getting mugged on that goal line route or Ike getting flagged because Maclin grabbed him...........the replacement refs might not have got those wrong. :noidea:

LayingTheWoodley56
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Are we talking about Clark's late hit?? The whistle had definately blown well in advance and Clark has to avoid the shot on that one.

If you disagree, watch it again and imagine it was Kurt Coleman coming in late on Antonio Brown and you will see it was a justified call.

As for the Kaboly article....he is going to the Ron Cook school of journalism. Write an opinion piece with something negative and outlandish to get a response from fans who will read your article. Jerry Springer would be proud.

Are you sure? I'm almost positive there was no whistle. Perhaps there should have been since forward progress had all but stopped, but I don't think any of the zebras blew it dead.