PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are looking past Titans' RB Johnson

maddog78
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

I'm expecting a nail biter on Thursday night.

“We’ll be taking the approach that we can’t underestimate this guy,” linebacker Chris Carter said. “He’s still a home run-type runner. He can still break an 80-yard run, so we’re focused on containing him.

“You definitely have to give a player like that respect because his résumé has looked good for years. We can’t give him any lanes, and that’s ultimately what it comes down to. He’s not the type that’s going to run over you; it’s about him getting open space.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738596-85/johnson-running-yards-season-steelers-titans-chris-run-game-average#ixzz28tosUWqP

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 08:35 AM
That's not a typo - I purposely altered the headline. Anytime I read quotes like this, saying that of course you're not overlooking a weaker opponent or struggling player, it's because you already have.

:rolleyes:..... :bs:

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark

maddog78
10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
:rolleyes:..... :bs:

"We are a 2-2 team, We havent won on the road yet this year. We're not good enough to overlook any team."

-Ryan Clark

Right, more talk about not overlooking someone. It shouldn't even be a question. They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
They sound like they're trying to convince themselves not to overlook what they think is a crappy opponent.

this sounds like a bunch of :poop:

another steelerfan desperately reaching for even the smallest thing to complain about even if they have to make crap up.

:poop:

T-3Iq3XQkAw

Steelerfreak58
10-10-2012, 08:57 AM
We all should be used to the Steelers playing down to any teams level the last decade or so. We have not blown the doors off of many teams that we "SHOULD" have. Some how some way there will be a really bad showing but hopefully a win.

Last week the team looked like stepped on dog shit this week on prime time expect them to play down to the Titans level and make Hassleback look like a god.

That way if they do blow the doors of the Titans you can be pleasantly surprised!:chuckle:

TRH
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Almost every time we go in to "blow another team out" or win handily, we either just barely win in a nailbiter...or LOSE. Gotta be real careful with this one.
Also, Johnson is due to have a big game.

GoFor7
10-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I have a bad feeling this game could be similar to the Oakland game. Offense puts up good numbers, but the defense takes a dump on the road and lets a washed up, immobile, veteran QB in Hasselbeck pick them apart.

LeBeau cannot afford to coach scared in this one, even if two of his best players are out. Timmons was a disruptive force behind the line of scrimmage against Philly. He doesn't need to drop back into coverage 75% of the time.

Edman
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.

Darkstorm05
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm not feeling conservative this week. I had a very bad feeling going into the Raiders game, but this week I'm thinking we lay waste to the Titans. 14+ point victory margin, and Harrison sacks Crappleback and eats part of his head.

GoFor7
10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I think the reason why the Steelers usually look lackluster on the road against a bad team is the fact that they ARE afraid of losing. They play not to lose instead of playing to win, well, the Defense does.

They come in tight and conservative, not letting the game get away from them, when in fact they are letting the game get away from them by letting the bad team hang around, instead of just playing.

Against Oakland, the Offense was loose, but the Defense was tight and scared. The Defense played very conservative and the Raiders burned it.

In the past it was only Brady that dinked and dunked through the Steeler defense. Now other teams are catching on and lesser QBs are pulling it off. The Steelers finally beat Brady last year because they were aggressive.

A defense can only do so much with X's and O's. It's more about pressure and aggressiveness. Could they get burned a few times playing like that? Yeah, but haven't the Steelers gotten burned playing scared quite a few times already?

Would you rather have Timmons drop back into coverage, or have him in the other teams backfield wrecking havoc?

EbonySteel86
10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
After getting Tebowed last year, I don't look pass ANY team!

ricardisimo
10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
The Titans look pretty bad, almost as bad as the premise of this thread.

Fire Arians
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
The Titans look pretty bad, almost as bad as the premise of this thread.

agreed, if we can't beat the titans, we don't deserve the playoffs this year

Edman
10-10-2012, 01:50 PM
In the past it was only Brady that dinked and dunked through the Steeler defense. Now other teams are catching on and lesser QBs are pulling it off. The Steelers finally beat Brady last year because they were aggressive.

A defense can only do so much with X's and O's. It's more about pressure and aggressiveness. Could they get burned a few times playing like that? Yeah, but haven't the Steelers gotten burned playing scared quite a few times already?

Would you rather have Timmons drop back into coverage, or have him in the other teams backfield wrecking havoc?

The Steelers were ALWAYS burned playing scared defense this season. Which is precisely why this thread was created.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=91620

If Lebeau trots out the conservative bullshit against Tennesee, the Defense is going to fail. Miserably. Again.

teegre
10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
I think that the Steelers clearly rememebr LenDale Fat stomping on a Terrible Towel. They also rememebr CJ2K taunting the defense. They also remember Alge Crumpler jumping onto Troy's knee.

So, NO, I do not think that they are overlooking them.

That said, TENN is a tough place for the Steelers to play... and Run DMC had a long run against the Steelers, and so could CJ2K.

Summation:
TENN gets a few easy points (17)... but, ultimately, BB prevails: 31 points.

pete74
10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
No way do we play down to them. Alot of people predicted us to blow out the raiders and broncos on this board and I refused to post in those threads because I thought there was a chance we would lose but births time. I predict that we score at least 4tds and hold them the 2 or less.

FrancoLambert
10-10-2012, 05:12 PM
agreed, if we can't beat the titans, we don't deserve the playoffs this year

Agree big time. Plus we probably wouldn't even qualify for postseason play with a loss here.

teegre
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Agree big time. Plus we probably wouldn't even qualify for postseason play with a loss here.

I agree: a loss to a team that cannot seem to beat anyone else (a top-5 in the draft type of team), would signify deeper troubles on the Steelers than just being 2-3.

I disagree: the 1995 Steelers started off 3-4... and made it to the SuperBowl. TENN has always been a difficult place for PITT to play. And, it is a road trip, on a shortened week. A los here could simply be a loss.

I foresee: PITT taking care of business, and being 3-2... with ten days to prepare for CINCY.

Fire Arians
10-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I disagree: the 1995 Steelers started off 3-4... and made it to the SuperBowl. TENN has always been a difficult place for PITT to play. And, it is a road trip, on a shortened week. A los here could simply be a loss.

When they were in our division, they used to be good, not anymore.

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
When they were in our division, they used to be good, not anymore.

that's because of "The Curse of the Terrible Towel" :tt02:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/don_banks/09/10/titans.steelers.preview/keith-bulluck.jpg

ricardisimo
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
The Steelers were ALWAYS burned playing scared defense this season. Which is precisely why this thread was created.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=91620

If Lebeau trots out the conservative bullshit against Tennesee, the Defense is going to fail. Miserably. Again.
Really? "ALWAYS" in caps in reference to a four-game season? God, we Steelers fans are such drama queens. Like someone posted in response to criticism of Lebeau after the Philly game, anything other than zeros across the board is unacceptable to the fans. For the record it's normally the other teams playing scared against us.

maddog78
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Really? "ALWAYS" in caps in reference to a four-game season? God, we Steelers fans are such drama queens. Like someone posted in response to criticism of Lebeau after the Philly game, anything other than zeros across the board is unacceptable to the fans. For the record it's normally the other teams playing scared against us.

The Steelers attacked Philly. Timmons was unleashed. No problem with that approach. It's the sit back and let them hit soft zone stuff that has people frustrated.

wera176
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM

^This

In those 4 games, they took care of business against the Jets and Philly, got beat by a sure HoF'er in a tough stadium without their starting safety, and laid an egg against the Raiders in 1 half. Not exactly the end of the world... Yes, they have lots to improve on and not as dominate as we are used to, but not terrible either...

Hawaii 5-0
10-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Titans are tonic for Steelers’ road woes

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Casey Hampton doesn’t know when it happened.

Maybe it was when an aging Peyton Manning took over in Denver or when James Harrison was out. Maybe it was when the awful Oakland Raiders dictated to the Steelers in the second half rather than the other way around.

“I don’t know, man,” Hampton said. “If I knew that, we’d be back.”

Hampton said it’s time for the Steelers to get back all they’ve been missing away from Pittsburgh — their personality, physicality, the we’re-the-Steelers-and-you’re-not mentality — starting with their Thursday night game at Tennessee.

To him, beating the Eagles, 16-14, Sunday in a more-typical Steelers game in which the running game was featured, big plays were minimized and hard hitting was maximized was a start. But Hampton seeks more.

Hampton wants the defense is be more difficult for quarterbacks to decipher — he said coverages are getting signaled too early — and harder to score against. He also wants the return of the days when the Steelers acted like the home team on the road, right down to their abundance of fans in the stands.

The Steelers (2-2) have dropped their last three on the road and four of five, a reversal from their 7-1 record away from Heinz Field in 2010.

Hampton, in his 12th and possibly last season at age 35, is tired of peeling off his jersey and wondering how yet another game got away from a team that once took pride in bullying opponents in their own stadiums.

“We’re the Steelers, but we definitely have not played up to expectations,” Hampton said. “I think everyone in this room will tell you that.”

The 34-31 loss to the Raiders, who have scored only 33 points in their other three games, illustrates the Steelers’ recent road woes. Had they won — they led by 10 points late — the Steelers would trail Baltimore (4-1) by only a half-game in the AFC North. Instead, they’re 11⁄2 games back.

Tennessee would seem to be a good place to regain their road edge. The Titans (1-4), while playing a difficult schedule, are the NFL’s most scored-upon team and also one of its lowest scoring.

Chris Johnson, the running back who once made their offense hum, is 26th in rushing with 210 yards. A defense that is allowing 140 yards-plus per game more than the Steelers’ is in the bottom fourth in scoring, total yards, rushing, passing and sacks.

The Titans were outscored, 140-44, in their four losses, a number that should light up the eyes of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is a 300-yard game away from breaking Terry Bradshaw’s team career passing record.

But he sounded much like Hampton in assessing the season.

“We’re 2-2, and obviously we’d like to be better than that,” he said. “We’re doing some good things. There are some things we need to improve on.”

Winning away from home would be one of them.

“We’re 0-2 on the road,” left guard Willie Colon said, “and it’s something we’re not proud of.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738500-85/steelers-hampton-game-road-team-titans-tennessee-yards-raiders-season#ixzz28xdsQysQ

Edman
10-11-2012, 12:27 PM

I don't see any complaints about the Defense after the Jets and Philly games. The Defense has played pretty well at home against a tough opponent last Sunday.

Now they're on the road against a losing team.

Going in there conservative isn't going to help anything.

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
yep. the steelers really are overlooking them-

Tomlin on the Titans
Q. Is there anything misleading about the Titans’ 1-4 record on the season?

A. For us, they’re 1-1 at home and we’re 0-2 on the road. It’s pretty clear for us. We have yet to step away from Heinz Field and win, and the last time the Titans played at LP Field they won against a team that made the playoffs last season – the Detroit Lions. That’s the reality of it as we see it. Records aside, this is a big game for us as it is for them, and we look forward to giving our very best.

tomlin also notes how last time they pretty much held johnson in check until he busted off an 85 YD TD run that was called back due to penalty.

maddog78
10-11-2012, 09:06 PM
First half over, Titans dominate.

Sorry folks, you may not want to hear it, but I know what I'm talking about.

Awful first half.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Poor O play calling. 2 runsthan pass, than punt. If you proved you can pass, than Fing pass the ball. We are missing half if not more of our Oline. What do you expect, pass the dam ball

teegre
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
First half over, Titans dominate.

Sorry folks, you may not want to hear it, but I know what I'm talking about.

Awful first half.

True.
The silver lining: despite a putrid first half, the Steelers are only down by 6.