PDA

View Full Version : Tackling the catch

maddog78
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The "focus" is to tackle the catch? I'm not sure I've ever seen a pass defense designed to allow pass completions, and I sure don't like it.

These numbers are abysmal. They're either shackling CBs who can be better, or protecting bad ones. Without a pass rush, this defense won't stand a chance.

http://triblive.com/sports/2742594-74/allen-steelers-lewis-numbers-polamalu-clark-completions-nfl-pass-ranks#axzz28rm3v1gc

“We’re tackling the catch,” Allen said. “That’s not to say we can’t still do better, but that’s what our focus is.”

Edman
10-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Forget the crappy scheme, the problem is why do the Steelers always switch to it at the least appropriate time?

Darkstorm05
10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
We aren't the only team running Prevent D, but I think we use it the most. I'm not a fan of it at all.

steeltheone
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
We only have one " cover DB " and that's Ike...clark is a missle hitter, just not a great cover guy.

maddog78
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Tom Bradley on 93.7 was asked about this and made a fair point that you can't assign targets to receivers playing zone, but still, the defense as a whole is designed to allow catches.

This is why guys like Carson Palmer have field days against us and look ordinary against other teams.

Steelersfan87
10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Internet forum defensive coordinators guild.

Yes, ignore the fact that the defense ranks 3rd in passing yards allowed. Ignore the fact that they rank 8th in yards per attempt. Ignore the fact that they've given up less 20+ yard receptions than anybody else in the league. Let's focus only on the things that fit within the agenda de jour that the Steelers' passing defense sucks.

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 01:05 PM
even the Steeler DBs admit they need to play better...

Ike Taylor had a fine 2011 right up until he met Demaryius Thomas in Denver, both at the end of last season and the start of this one. Whether those wounded him or not, overall this season, he’s allowed 16 completions on the 29 times his receiver has been the pass target, according to Pro Football Focus. That ranks 134th out of 164 cornerbacks in the NFL.

Yeah, really.

Taylor can play much better, and he knows it.

Keenan Lewis, a first-year starter, has allowed 15 completions on 24 targets. That ranks 157th. And his next official pass defensed will be his first.

Unlike Taylor, no one knows if Lewis can play better. There’s no precedent.

No one knows if Curtis Brown can replace him, either. The franchise’s highest draft pick among defensive backs in the past six years — third round, 2011 — still can’t find his way to the field.

Allen has fit in with the rest, allowing 10 completions on 14 targets. That ranks 115th.

At safety, Mundy has allowed nine completions on 12 targets. That ranks 119th.

Mike Tomlin strongly hinted Monday that he’ll spell Mundy with Will Allen, but that’s hardly the cavalry. Allen, 30, is in his ninth NFL season and hasn’t made a start since Oct. 4, 2009.

Answers, anyone?

“With Troy not being there, it’ll be tough, but we strive to pick up our game every week,” Cortez Allen said. “The standard is the standard. We’ll get it done.”

“Even with Troy, we’ve got to get better,” Lewis said.

Lewis is right, of course, as the above numbers illustrate. There’s ample room to improve.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/2742594-74/allen-steelers-lewis-numbers-polamalu-clark-completions-nfl-pass-ranks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz28rdxwgFL[/QUOTE]

maddog78
10-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Yes, ignore the fact that the defense ranks 3rd in passing yards allowed. Ignore the fact that they rank 8th in yards per attempt. Ignore the fact that they've given up less 20+ yard receptions than anybody else in the league. Let's focus only on the things that fit within the agenda de jour that the Steelers' passing defense sucks.

Or ignore the fact that opposing QBs have a 100.9 rating against this defense (25th in the league), 62.4% completion rate (18th in the league), thrown only 1 INT (28th in the league), been sacked 8 times (24th in the league), thrown 8 TD passes (19th in the league).

The defense is allowing 22.2 points a game (16th) while the offense is #2 in TOP.

If the offense goes into a slump and has a series of 3 and outs, do you trust this defense?

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
"And yet, Tomlin and Colbert brought a roster into Latrobe that had no real fail-safe for Polamalu and/or Clark being hurt at safety"...

this is what really bothers me, how is it that we once again only had Ryan Mundy as our main back-up at safety?

Darkstorm05
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Also ignore the fact that most of the teams that had an early bye are filling in the top slots, because they have an entire game missing in these totals. Look at something meaningful, like points scored against us per game, where we rank 16th in the league. We're averaging 23 points against us per game.

I don't care if we've only given up 9 passing yards the entire season, the points we've given up is what matters most. Our W-L record reflects this.

Steelersfan87
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Or ignore the fact that opposing QBs have a 100.9 rating against this defense (25th in the league), 62.4% completion rate (18th in the league), thrown only 1 INT (28th in the league), been sacked 8 times (24th in the league), thrown 8 TD passes (19th in the league).

The defense is allowing 22.2 points a game (16th) while the offense is #2 in TOP.

If the offense goes into a slump and has a series of 3 and outs, do you trust this defense?

Also ignore the fact that most of the teams that had an early bye are filling in the top slots, because they have an entire game missing in these totals. Look at something meaningful, like points scored against us per game, where we rank 16th in the league. We're averaging 23 points against us per game.

I don't care if we've only given up 9 passing yards the entire season, the points we've given up is what matters most. Our W-L record reflects this.

I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown. The topic of the thread is that the tackle the catch philosophy, which LeBeau has always used, including last year when they led the league in yards and points, is all of a sudden terrible because of two bad games in the first quarter of the season. Not only is the idea shortsighted, but it's a knee-jerk reaction after only 4 games. Should they be playing better? Yes, and they probably will. But does that mean that all of a sudden the scheme that has worked since LeBeau has been here no longer works just because one offense scores 34 points and another scored 25? I'm inclined to let the remainder of the season dictate that, especially when they have yet to play a game with their two starting safeties and James Harrison just got back.

maddog78
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown. The topic of the thread is that the tackle the catch philosophy, which LeBeau has always used, including last year when they led the league in yards and points, is all of a sudden terrible because of two bad games in the first quarter of the season. Not only is the idea shortsighted, but it's a knee-jerk reaction after only 4 games. Should they be playing better? Yes, and they probably will. But does that mean that all of a sudden the scheme that has worked since LeBeau has been here no longer works just because one offense scores 34 points and another scored 25? I'm inclined to let the remainder of the season dictate that, especially when they have yet to play a game with their two starting safeties and James Harrison just got back.

I never said Dick LeBeau sucked and that all DBs need to be cut. That's a silly strawman argument on your part.

Last year's ranking was nice, but we played maybe the worst group of QBs one could hope to face.

And don't give me what we did against Brady. He put up 200 yards and 2 TD's in 20 minutes of football. Our offense won that game by controlling the ball for 40 minutes.

Bottom line, it's not working this year. Why no adjustments? Seems we roll out the same players and schemes and just tell them to play better. Well, it's hard to cover when you're back in zone and not rushing the passer. They adjusted after the first two drives against the Jets and it was great. Press coverage, attacking the pocket, which I argue is aided when the QB can't simply throw to a wide open underneath receiver.

If we play passive defense we'll get chewed up by the better QBs, even some that are not so hot.

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
If we play passive defense we'll get chewed up by the better QBs, even some that are not so hot.

and if we play aggressive press coverage we will get eaten alive deep by speedy wr's.

pick your poison. :noidea:

maybe if lebeau just starts playing madden he will figure it out like all these internet coordinators.

anyways this thread reminds me of all the brilliant fans who said william gay was garbage and the worst CB in the entire league last 2-3 years and how anyone on our roster could do better than him. now he is 4-1 and fans wish we had someone better. HA!

Fire Arians
10-10-2012, 03:43 PM
i wouldn't say william gay is garbage but i do think cortez allen is an upgrade over him

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown.

you are such a drama queen, exaggerate much?

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 03:54 PM

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...there is a very lengthy thread or 2 where that is the central theme though, and so many knee jerkers participate and chime in with their bridge jumping frustrations, its hard to differentiate or remember who the main culprits are.

their ranst through 3-4 games are all pretty much the same, video game garbage suggesting our 4.54 CB's should play bump n run with 4.34 WR's. :jerkit:

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
there is a very lengthy thread or 2 where that is the central theme though, and so many knee jerkers participate and chime in with their bridge jumping frustrations, its hard to differentiate or remember who the main culprits are.

their ranst through 3-4 games are all pretty much the same, video game garbage suggesting our 4.54 CB's should play bump n run with 4.34 WR's. :jerkit:

where and when did anyone suggest that everyone of our defensive backs should be cut?

Darkstorm05
10-10-2012, 04:20 PM
i wouldn't say william gay is garbage but i do think cortez allen is an upgrade over him

I would concur, except I will say Gay was garbage. Yea, he eventually managed to string together like 3 games without costing us a loss, but that doesn't make him good.

I still say Ike is an OK CB. Ideally, I think if we can grab one "Great" CB, and move Ike to our 2nd CB, we'd be fine. If Troy turns out to be done, then we see what Allen can do, but might need a Safety in the mix, as well.

FrancoLambert
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I would concur, except I will say Gay was garbage. Yea, he eventually managed to string together like 3 games without costing us a loss, but that doesn't make him good.

I still say Ike is an OK CB. Ideally, I think if we can grab one "Great" CB, and move Ike to our 2nd CB, we'd be fine. If Troy turns out to be done, then we see what Allen can do, but might need a Safety in the mix, as well.

No "might."
We need a safety added to the mix.
I'd like to see Allen get more plays this week; I've seen enough of Mundy.
He hits hard but late. He gets juked a lot. Gets the dropsies on possible picks.

teegre
10-10-2012, 05:41 PM
No "might."
We need a safety added to the mix.
He hits hard but late. He gets juked a lot. Gets the dropsies on possible picks.

Agreed... and luckily, next year is the year of the safety (Robert Lester, Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, Matt elam, yadda...).

I'd like to see Robert Golden get more plays (as opposed to Will Allen). Wait... did you mean Cortez Allen?... if so, I agree 100% with this post. More Cortez; more Golden; more Reid. Done.

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM

I've seen enough of Mundy also, but how bad must Will Allen be if he can't even beat him out?

maddog78
10-10-2012, 06:30 PM
and if we play aggressive press coverage we will get eaten alive deep by speedy wr's.

pick your poison. :noidea:

And get more sacks and turnovers. I'll take the tradeoff. And we've given up plenty of big plays playing soft this year. The best we can seem to hope for now is to give up a few first downs and get field position flipped on us.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-10-2012, 07:03 PM
So we need a safety and 2 cb's?lol

I think changing things up a bit worked this week with blitzing timmons up the middle. With Harrison back and changing the outside pressure, i think Timmons blitzing in will work. But the problem remains is our great shut down corner cant shut down a light bulb and the other cb's are only dresing up for Halloween at this point.
Building corners through the draft is not our option unless we are moving wayup the draft. So hopefully we find some dough to buy some cb's this off season. Ike is coing up on his 5th shit ass game. Time for him to man up.

Fire Arians
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
And get more sacks and turnovers. I'll take the tradeoff. And we've given up plenty of big plays playing soft this year. The best we can seem to hope for now is to give up a few first downs and get field position flipped on us.

agree with that, it's not like playing off receivers stopped anyone from scoring when it mattered this season. better things have happened when our defense played more aggressive

madtowndrunkard
10-10-2012, 10:16 PM
This has always been DL's philosophy. Prevent the big plays and make the opponents drive the field playing mistake free ball... DL banks on the opponent eventually making a mistake....and our play makers will eventually make a big play. When neither happens, we get our buts kicked. This is why efficient / patient QB's have plenty of success against us.

So far this year our playmakers on defense are not making plays...and the guys making the mistakes are in black and gold. What scares the heck out of me is the fact that we really haven't played anyone truly good QB's yet.

Here's what we've had:

Peyton Manning ( a shell of what he used to be , 9th ranked scoring offense)
Mark Sanchez (might lose his job soon, 22nd ranked scoring offense)
Carson Palmer (29th ranked scoring offense)
Mike Vick (mistake prone / Over rated QB on the 31st ranked scoring offense)

This is not exactly the elite of the NFL. How are we struggling to stop this? What happens when the Giants and Ravens come to town? What happens if we make the playoffs and need to stop Brady? Something needs to change drastically on defense....if not we'll be lucky to make the playoffs, and if we do it will have a similar ending to last season.

tony hipchest
10-10-2012, 11:56 PM
agree with that, it's not like playing off receivers stopped anyone from scoring when it mattered this season. better things have happened when our defense played more aggressivesuch as what games?

better things have also happened when we have players like woodley, troy, clark, harrison all in the lineup.

people seem to think they are just interchangable parts.

those who are criticizing lebeaus scheme, may be giving it more credit that it actually deserves.

its not like he can just roll out 11 slapdick college players and expect the same results.

Hawaii 5-0
10-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Lewis vs. Titans WR Kendall Wright

October 11, 2012 12:29 am
by Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As he always does, cornerback Ike Taylor likely will follow his former teammate, Nate Washington, when the Steelers play the Tennessee Titans tonight in Nashville, Tenn. Following the opposing team's top receiver has become customary for Taylor.

But that also means Keenan Lewis, the other corner, gets matched regularly against the opponent's No. 2 receiver -- in this case, rookie Kendall Wright, who leads the Titans with 27 receptions; or former No. 1 pick Kenny Britt, who still is trying to round into form after an anterior cruciate ligament injury ended his season in the third week a year ago.

With so much attention always focused on Taylor's ability to shut down the top opposing receiving threat, it goes largely unnoticed that Lewis has done more than a solid job of containing -- sometimes even shutting down -- the No. 2 receiver.

"We joke about it sometimes and get on the guy if he got beat, but you take it seriously because you don't want to be that guy," Lewis said. "I don't want to be that guy ever again so I try to make sure I eliminate those types of plays and win my battles."

Against the New York Jets, Lewis held rookie Stephen Hill, who had two touchdown catches in his previous game, without a catch. In Denver, Lewis led the team with two pass break-ups and didn't allow Eric Decker a catch longer than 17 yards.

In a victory Sunday against Philadelphia, the Eagles' longest play was a 24-yard pass to DeSean Jackson, who was being shadowed all game by Taylor. The Eagles' No. 2 receiver, Jeremy Maclin, had a team-high five catches against Lewis but none longer than 11 yards.

"He's really in his growth cycle, and we're looking for him to continue to grow," said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a Hall of Fame cornerback in his playing days, said of Lewis. "I thought he played well last year for us and so far he's doing OK. We're looking for all our young players to grow."

In the past 11 quarters, the Steelers have allowed just one pass longer than 18 yards -- and that was the 24-yarder to Jackson on the Eagles' final possession. That has allowed them to move up to No. 3 in the league in pass defense and inch closer to the No. 1 ranking they held last year.

Lewis said he is up to the challenge, just as he was in training camp when his biggest battle was having to hold off young cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for the starting job.

"To be honest with you, I know this is contract year for me and I want to be the best I can be and make a living for my family," said Lewis, who is playing this season on a one-year tender for $1,260,000 . "I know those guys like to compete, too, so I know I was going to have to step my game up a notch. Being a fourth year player, they expect a lot from me. I'm getting better every game at it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/head-to-head-steelers-cb-keenan-lewis-vs-titans-wr-kendall-wright-657079/

PhantomJB93
10-11-2012, 01:45 AM
I don't mind the strategy against your average team (for instance the Titans this week), we can make it work. Against teams like the Patriots, Giants, maybe even the Ravens now as much as I hate to say it, I'd hope to see more of the man coverage gameplan LeBeau brought to the Pats game last year.

Rick5895
10-11-2012, 04:58 AM
As the season moves along, I think we will get better on D, I think we are still trying to find an identity with the veteran leadership we lost, that WILL take time. The Denver game was a no win game for us, Mannings first game of the year, at mile high, No Harrison, No Clark and a limping Polamalu. The home then back to the west coast for another game, this time No Troy and no James. I think it's safe to say, even a less than 100% Harrison makes the other teams nervous. hell, even Worilds had a good game opposite Harrison against the Iggles.
We haven't been done any great favors by the NFL schedule machine early on. I said before the season if we can get through the first 6 games 4-2 or 3-3 we will be in good place to win our division. the bulk of our division games are mid to late in the season and we should "clicking" both offensively and defensively.
Although it's not said in those words on here, I do agree with Dodens that people are to quick to want to fire Lebeau and dismiss DB's because someone scores a TD on us through the air.
This defense is a work in progress and I would rather struggle a bit now, fix the problems and be playing well December , January and ( yes I will say it ) February.

Darkstorm05
10-11-2012, 07:04 AM
such as what games?

better things have also happened when we have players like woodley, troy, clark, harrison all in the lineup.

those who are criticizing lebeaus scheme, may be giving it more credit that it actually deserves.

its not like he can just roll out 11 slapdick college players and expect the same results.

So do you feel the defense is fine as it is now? Your posts seem to indicate that you're in favor of keeping things on that side of the ball pretty much unchanged.

LVSteelersfan
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't know exactly what people want. We are not going to have many shutouts. The Eagles only scored 14 points. FOURTEEN. Not exactly a big whiff by the defense. They made some game saving fumbles happen when they needed them. I agree that the Steelers should play more press coverage. Just mix it up a bit. Especially on third down. I think they should be in the grills of the opposing WRs on third down. And send Timmons to add some pressure. He looked good last week. I hope he continues to play like he did last week. He looked like a beast.

maddog78
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't know exactly what people want. We are not going to have many shutouts. The Eagles only scored 14 points. FOURTEEN. Not exactly a big whiff by the defense. They made some game saving fumbles happen when they needed them. I agree that the Steelers should play more press coverage. Just mix it up a bit. Especially on third down. I think they should be in the grills of the opposing WRs on third down. And send Timmons to add some pressure. He looked good last week. I hope he continues to play like he did last week. He looked like a beast.

I loved the plan for the most part against Philly. Timmons unleashed was a beautiful thing. I just wish our big physical corners were allowed to play that way. We still give up too many completions and always seem to have trouble holding leads in the 4th. One INT this year because the receiver fell down in Oakland. It's a defense that is not at all disruptive. Need to force more TO's. Guys are going to fumble like Vick did every week.

Nice to see Worilds coming from the strong side, too. He seems to do better over there.

maddog78
10-11-2012, 10:58 AM
such as what games?

So if the scheme only works when there are several pro bowlers playing, is it really the scheme? Why can't he find a way to scheme pressure when he doesn't have all of those stars at his disposal?

maddog78
10-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't mind the strategy against your average team (for instance the Titans this week), we can make it work. Against teams like the Patriots, Giants, maybe even the Ravens now as much as I hate to say it, I'd hope to see more of the man coverage gameplan LeBeau brought to the Pats game last year.

Eh, that scheme kept stiffs like Blaine Gabbert and Kerry Collins' teams in the game last year. I say when you play these stiffs is the perfect time to attack and fluster them into mistakes, not sit back and give them easy completions.

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Why can't he find a way to scheme pressure when he doesn't have all of those stars at his disposal?because its real life, not a video game.

the poles had a fantastic calvary, and a brilliant scheme with some of the most valiant men with heart to protect their land, but unfortunately they were no match for the german tanks in WWII.

after getting slaughtered despite the heart, effort, and "gameplan" they were rewarded with nothing but a bunch of "dumb pollack" jokes.

:hunch:

FanSince72
10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
because its real life, not a video game.

the poles had a fantastic calvary, and a brilliant scheme with some of the most valiant men with heart to protect their land, but unfortunately they were no match for the german tanks in WWII.

after getting slaughtered despite the heart, effort, and "gameplan" they were rewarded with nothing but a bunch of "dumb pollack" jokes.

:hunch:

Well this is one Polack who can do without the analogies and colorful anecdotes and would just like to see our defense coming OFF the field after an opponent's 3rd and long instead of sending more "cavalry" ONTO the field to defend against our opponent's new set of downs.

Oh and it would be nice to maybe play a game where we DON'T give up an 80-yard drive late in the 4th quarter too!
I mean I know doing that has become a sort of tradition lately but still...

Steelersfan87
10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Bob Labriola a few weeks back relayed an interesting anecdote regarding quality of scheme versus quality of players. Back in the 90s, in one season, I don't remember which, both Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake were holding out, but they ended their holdouts on the same day. When Labriola asked LeBeau after practice how he felt about getting those guys back, he said something like "I just became a lot smarter of a coach".

Steelersfan87
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...

That was intended as hyperbole, of course. However, this thread doesn't exist in a vacuum, either. It's an example of an obvious trend.

AndyWitmyer
10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
The maligned Steelers D is actually ranked 5th in the league overall.

Hawaii 5-0
10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
That was intended as hyperbole, of course.

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, resist hyperbole.

teegre
10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, resist hyperbole.

I literally just laughed my head off. :wink02:

maddog78
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
The maligned Steelers D is actually ranked 5th in the league overall.

In yards per game, thanks to an offense that is #2 in time of possession. Sort by points per game, and then consider that TOP ranking.

:banging:

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
In yards per game, thanks to an offense that is #2 in time of possession. Sort by points per game, and then consider that TOP ranking.

:banging:ummm... thats pretty much the same basic formula theyve used all along. plus those "rankings" 4 games into the season are about as meaningful as the power rankings.

the steelers have allowed 12 ppg at home and 2 bad games on the west coast. it was the ball controlling offense that gave up the pick six anyways,

i dont know why people are still pressing the panic button 4 games in.

maddog78
10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
ummm... thats pretty much the same basic formula theyve used all along. plus those "rankings" 4 games into the season are about as meaningful as the power rankings.

the steelers have allowed 12 ppg at home and 2 bad games on the west coast. it was the ball controlling offense that gave up the pick six anyways,

i dont know why people are still pressing the panic button 4 games in.

OK, peace. Not going to argue with Steeler fans on game day.

:drink:

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
OK, peace. Not going to argue with Steeler fans on game day.

:drink::cheers:

they just showed the steelers defensive stats with and w/o polamalu since 2009. something like 28-9 with him averaging 14 ppg. and 8-9 w/o him averaging 21 (a full td more).

i think that is the most significant factor and i think troy in his prime is that great of a player.

LT/reggie white/ ronnie lott/deion sanders type of impact.

Edman
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
My eyes are on the Defense tonight.

No Troy. Away game. Bad team. We'll see what Lebeau trots out on Defense. I don't care how good Troy is, you have to adjust without him, and without his Superman in the past, Dickard the Genius has been exposed as ineffective and helpless.

One player out shouldn't make a defense bleed like that. Our Defense isn't that bad.

Hawaii 5-0
10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
My eyes are on the Defense tonight.

No Troy. Away game. Bad team. We'll see what Lebeau trots out on Defense. I don't care how good Troy is, you have to adjust without him, and without his Superman in the past, Dickard the Genius has been exposed as ineffective and helpless.

One player out shouldn't make a defense bleed like that. Our Defense isn't that bad.

Woodley is also missing...

maddog78
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Would love to see Timmons repeat Sunday's performance.

Hawaii 5-0
10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I literally just laughed my head off. :wink02:

:drink:

FanSince72
10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
:cheers:

they just showed the steelers defensive stats with and w/o polamalu since 2009. something like 28-9 with him averaging 14 ppg. and 8-9 w/o him averaging 21 (a full td more).

i think that is the most significant factor and i think troy in his prime is that great of a player.

LT/reggie white/ ronnie lott/deion sanders type of impact.

Yeah but the trouble is that Troy is past his prime, he can't stay healthy for longer than one game and no defense should be so dependent on one player that his absence virtually guarantees a loss.

Also, stats don't win football games.

Other than that, I agree with everything you wrote! :drink:

Millers the sh!t
10-13-2012, 07:25 AM

I'm not gonna ignore the fact that you ignored the fact that we are the twelfth worst team in the NFL for Allowing points scored against us. And I'm also not gonna ignore the fact that we haven't even played a good team yet. I also won't ignore the fact that you take comfort in bragging about your worthless statistics that show how good our defense is when we are 2-3 playing against scrub teams.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not gonna ignore the fact that you ignored the fact that we are the twelfth worst team in the NFL for Allowing points scored against us. And I'm also not gonna ignore the fact that we haven't even played a good team yet. I also won't ignore the fact that you take comfort in bragging about your worthless statistics that show how good our defense is when we are 2-3 playing against scrub teams.

he obviously doesn't watch the games...