PDA

View Full Version : Season over

maddog78
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Sorry gang, but the Steelers are the worst team in football this year. The bottom has fallen out.

Blow it up and start over. It was a nice run, but it's done.

4-12.

Stillers2012
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
This defense sucks!!!!!

beer72
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Its not over yet! BUT IM IN TOTAL Disbelief :banging:

3rdandlong
I think we have a shot at 8-8. The offensive line is completely decimated. Ben has less than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Defense can't stop the offense at the most critical junctures. Yeah, probably 8-8.

maddog78
This defense sucks!!!!!

So does the offense. Every other team scored 30+ against Tenn this year.

This is bad. 1980's bad, folks.

This team is flat out lousy.

defence
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
So does the offense. Every other team scored 30+ against Tenn this year.

This is bad. 1980's bad, folks.

This team is flat out lousy.

Offence didn't play well; but this d has crapped the bed all year. It does look really bad. We lost to a bad Titans team; Raiders. Now we go into the heart of the schedule. It's over guys.

Steel_Bus_24
10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Its not over but we can't keep having these crazy injuries/rotations every week

This team on the road is just awful....Im not sure if thats from Tomlin or what...Im not sure they could beat a high school team on the road

Just sloppy across the board

Ben why the hell did you not run on that last 3rd down and pick up a couple more yards for the FG??

Thats now 3 F*** AFC teams we have lost to....That kills your Playoff chances with tiebreakers..We now have to sweep our division pretty much...otherwise I think we miss out on the playoffs by losing a tiebreaker with some afc west team

OX1947
10-11-2012, 11:10 PM

This team on the road is just awful....Im not sure if thats from Tomlin or what...Im not sure they could beat a high school team on the road

Just sloppy across board

Ben why the hell did you not run on that last 3rd down and pick up a couple more yards for the FG??

Thats now 3 F*** AFC teams we have lost to....That kills your Playoff chances with tiebreakers..We now have to sweep our division pretty much...otherwise I think we're miss out on the playoffs by losing a tiereaker with some afc west team

I think we may need a high pick with the older guys losing steam. And I still say they should have traded Wallace for a 1st rounder. Could have used a couple of 1st rounders this coming year.

RowHH
I agree that it's over. Six or seven wins, no more. The Baltimore games threaten to be especially ugly. And the Giants, too.

defence

Just sloppy across board

Thats now 3 F*** AFC teams we have lost to....That kills your Playoff chances with tiebreakers..We now have to sweep our division pretty much...otherwise I think we're miss out on the playoffs by losing a tiereaker with some afc west team

Playoffs!! Playoffs!!! C'mon!!! You serious man lol!!! Playoffs!!!! :drink:

Chadmagic
10-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, looking at the schedule, I only see 4 maybe 5 wins. We will beat the Redskins, split with Bengals, 2 Cleveland games, and maybe, beat Kansas City. No way we can beat the Ravens, Giants, Chargers and Dallas.
So I say a 7-9 season but probably 6-10. Definitely not playoff caliber. Well at least we will finally get good draft picks

SteelCurtain5643
10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Complete embarassment tonight...First of all the whole training staff needs to be fired, I dont understand how one team can have that many injuries, its ****ing ridiculous. Secondly, why do we continue to hang on to this bum named Shaun Suisham???!!! Theres a reason hes been cut by Washington and Dallas. The guy BLOWS. If the loss to Oakland wasnt bad enough, tonight should be a huge wake up call. Absolutely embarassing.

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
:wave:

been nice knowing ya!

maybe we'll catch ya on a 49ers or texans board some time. best regards. dont let the doorknob hit ya....

StainlessStill
10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Complete embarassment tonight...First of all the whole training staff needs to be fired, I dont understand how one team can have that many injuries, its ****ing ridiculous. Secondly, why do we continue to hang on to this bum named Shaun Suisham???!!! Theres a reason hes been cut by Washington and Dallas. The guy BLOWS. If the loss to Oakland wasnt bad enough, tonight should be a huge wake up call. Absolutely embarassing.

You do know Suisham was 12/12 before missing the kick at 53 yards, right? I have no problem calling it an embarrassment because it is, but there's a lot of factors that play into it.

We showed a lot of guts to just go out there with a basically crippled football team. I'm not giving up. You shouldn't either.

maddog78
10-11-2012, 11:28 PM

been nice knowing ya!

maybe we'll catch ya on a 49ers or texans board some time. best regards. dont let the doorknob hit ya....

You mistake honesty for disloyalty. I'll watch every week, I'm just not foolish enough to believe that this is a good football team.

The pom-poms are blurring your vision.

tony hipchest
10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
You mistake honesty for disloyalty. I'll watch every week, I'm just not foolish enough to believe that this is a good football team.

The pom-poms are blurring your vision.oh... and here i was thinking this was your farewell thread. maybe the terrible towel you just threw in just landed on my face. :tt02:

so does that mean youre going to keep on starting a multitude of threads of whining as well.

are the steelers over looking the bengals yet? :jerkit:

Chadmagic
10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I gotta agree. I am not a negative person. But this team is foul smelling this year. Blame it on old age, injuries or whatever else you want, but this is not going to be a winning season and the playoffs are not in our future. But I can't say its not expected. We had quite a run and we are due for a down turn. So lets get on with it. Finish out the next 11 games and start thinking of our draft next year. We need to fut loose a lot of players and then start filling in their roster spots. We will get our 7th ring. Its just not going to be this year.

OX1947
10-11-2012, 11:43 PM
You do know Suisham was 12/12 before missing the kick at 53 yards, right? I have no problem calling it an embarrassment because it is, but there's a lot of factors that play into it.

We showed a lot of guts to just go out there with a basically crippled football team. I'm not giving up. You shouldn't either.

Another reason right he on how bad Tomlin's coaching has been. Shaun is kicking the best of his career. He just kicked a 52 yarder and had all the confidence in the world, and what does he do. makes him kick even longer, knowing he doesnt have a strong leg, KNOWNING if he misses, Titans would get into FG range and win it.

Tomlin sucks. His close out coaching and high fiving need to go.

Steel_Bus_24
10-11-2012, 11:58 PM
We're right at that point to where it could fall apart

This team better use this extra time between games and muster whatever fight it has left

Ben is going to have be better then just good.....he's going to have to be MVPish to keep this team a float until this Defense figures out something

Steeler-in-West
10-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Another reason right he on how bad Tomlin's coaching has been. Shaun is kicking the best of his career. He just kicked a 52 yarder and had all the confidence in the world, and what does he do. makes him kick even longer, knowing he doesnt have a strong leg, KNOWNING if he misses, Titans would get into FG range and win it.

Tomlin sucks. His close out coaching and high fiving need to go.

That was the game, I couldn't understand what they were doing trying to kick a 54 yarder. Pinn em deep inside the 20 with a punt - good safe choice

Go for it on fourth with the way Ben was playing - understandable

By kicking a 54 yarder we had a high risk of missing it and giving Hasselbeck an extra 7 yards near midfield - just a terrible decision

SteelCurtain5643
10-12-2012, 12:22 AM

been nice knowing ya!

I'm not going anywhere, I've never given up on this team, and I would never go start rooting for another team. But this team is a disgrace right now, losing to shit teams like Oakland and Tennessee that we should be blowing out. The injuries are just ridiculous too as I said. And idc if Suisham was 12/12, I've hated this bum since we signed him. Unless something changes real quick, this is gonna be a long rest of the season, I'll still tune in every week regardless, but I'd like to see W's, rather than embarassing losses like tonight.

SteelCurtain5643
10-12-2012, 12:23 AM
That was the game, I couldn't understand what they were doing trying to kick a 54 yarder. Pinn em deep inside the 20 with a punt - good safe choice

Go for it on fourth with the way Ben was playing - understandable

By kicking a 54 yarder we had a high risk of missing it and giving Hasselbeck an extra 7 yards near midfield - just a terrible decision

I like Tomlin, but I'd give so much to have Coach Cowher back

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not going anywhere, I've never given up on this team, and I would never go start rooting for another team. But this team is a disgrace right now, losing to shit teams like Oakland and Tennessee that we should be blowing out. The injuries are just ridiculous too as I said. And idc if Suisham was 12/12, I've hated this bum since we signed him. Unless something changes real quick, this is gonna be a long rest of the season, I'll still tune in every week regardless, but I'd like to see W's, rather than embarassing losses like tonight.no doubt.

it is a disgrace to lose our starting center, right tackle and number 1 and 2 running backs in a single game (and have to sweat out 2 of our 3 remaining safetied writhing around in pain on the field).

oh and ramon foster got hurt as well.

no current coach can admit it, but every former coach will-

having 16 games on thursday night is complete bullshit. that is too little recovery time for these atheletes who play a violent game, especially the atheletes who are a bit older and ESPECIALLY for the road team.

roger goodell and the owners are about 1 thing and 1 thing only, and that is increasing revenue.

as long as it isnt a head or neck injury (or a knee injury to a star qb like brady) they dont care who gets hurt in the process.

i will just laugh at those who continue to blame lebeau who has forgotten more football than any message board fan and most coordinators in the league know.

i dont hate suisham, but i certainly dont trust him from beyond 45 yds. his 53 yarder was a good kick just a yard too short. our special teams are definitely hurting this season. 10 days off couldnt have come at a better time.

SteelCurtain5643
10-12-2012, 12:39 AM
We dont have a running game once again either, it was nice having one for one week anyway. Mendy has an achilles injury of some sort. I'd really like to hope Rainey or Batch emerges, but as of now both are unproven.

Steel_Bus_24
10-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I still think we can make a run at it f we get healthy at the right time.....but Ben or somebody is going to have to step up and play extraordinary until the rest of the team catches up

SteelCurtain5643
10-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I still think we can make a run at it f we get healthy at the right time.....but Ben or somebody is going to have to step up and play extraordinary until the rest of the team catches up

Its not like were horribly injured though, I mean the running game is the major thing now, especially if both Mendy and Redman are out a long period of time. Troy, yeah thats a big injury but he's getting older. Our offense is still healthy(again aside from the running game), the D is ok, just need to get Woodley back in a hurry. The only thing is we need to consistently finish games with the same offensive line we start with. Every game we rotate like 8 guys because of injury and thats insane, I've never seen such a thing before. Something needs to be done conditioning wise or something, or like I stated in an earlier post, fire the whole training staff, because these guys cant keep going down every single game and then expect Ben to be fine in the pocket with NO protection.

Steel_Bus_24
10-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Its not like were horribly injured though, I mean the running game is the major thing now, especially if both Mendy and Redman are out a long period of time. Troy, yeah thats a big injury but he's getting older. Our offense is still healthy(again aside from the running game), the D is ok, just need to get Woodley back in a hurry. The only thing is we need to consistently finish games with the same offensive line we start with. Every game we rotate like 8 guys because of injury and thats insane, I've never seen such a thing before. Something needs to be done conditioning wise or something, or like I stated in an earlier post, fire the whole training staff, because these guys cant keep going down every single game and then expect Ben to be fine in the pocket with NO protection.

yeah the OL and Woodley/Harrison Rotations every other game have just been bleeping crazy

The names of our starting OL shuffle more then a slot machine

Even our crappy OL in 08 stayed on the field enough together to max their potential and do just enough to get a SB

PhantomJB93
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
I can't believe anyone is mad at Suisham. Dude's been perfect this year with the exception of a 54-yarder on the road which would be hard for any kicker to make, he already had made a 52 yarder in this game alone and was absolute money all last week. NO other kicker we can get would be a better option, I'm surprised nobody notices the musical chairs around the league that is the Kicker position every year. He's not Jeff Reed but he's better than any Billy Cundiff or Olindo Mare we could replace him with.

I think there is some overreaction to this, 4-12 is a bit unrealistic as is anything less than 7-9 to me. But only 8-10 wins this year is certainly likely and I WILL be surprised if we make the playoffs this year.

The OLine injuries are getting ridiculous, we need a training staff overhaul or something because this happens way too frequently year in and year out and it can't be shear bad luck anymore, these guys must not be in top physical condition or something.

The secondary is awful and it's not just Polamalu's absence, Ike has been atrocious and letting Gay go right when he finally "got it" was the biggest mistake we've made in years. Wouldn't mind a safety and CB with our first two picks next year, although it will surely be a DE and OLB.

Only bright spot is LB play, still not getting as much pressure as I would like to see but Timmons and Foote looked good and Worilds looked good and always seemed to be around the QB. Harrison isn't 2008 Harrison but is closer to himself than Woodley had looked in the first few games, even though that may have been more scheme-related.

Ben is Ben, nothing else to say about him. He made a few throws that made me wonder WTF he saw but he still kept us in the game and had us in position to win with a minute left. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if we traded him back in 2010, we think we're bad now, we'd surely be drafting top 5 in the next draft had we ditched him, maybe even #1 overall.

This loss to me, as with many others, comes down to that final field goal decision. Very poor coaching choice, it's one thing to try that long ass FG with a solid defense behind you but you could see that Titans drive coming from a mile away and a 54-yarder should NEVER be considered a "sure thing." Much better off letting your QB who's fantastic in "must convert" situations go for it there or punting it to give the swiss-cheese defense a bit more breathing room, if only a little bit.

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
I still think we can make a run at it f we get healthy at the right time.....but Ben or somebody is going to have to step up and play extraordinary until the rest of the team catches upmaybe we can trade for superman....

or cam newton. :coffee:

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 01:42 AM
I like Tomlin, but I'd give so much to have Coach Cowher back

This^

Darthslayrr
10-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Going to suck here in Ohio when they lose to the Browns, I'll just tape a middle finger to my forehead when I go to work.

pete74
10-12-2012, 04:49 AM
i cant see how some of you can talk bad about our kicker, he has done an awesome job and missed a very hard kick by about a yard. we have way to many problems on the defensive side of the ball to compete. we let CJ double his ypc on the year against us. either we are going to get healthy midseason and make a run or were going to get a higher draft pick then usual and can grab a shut down saftey or a dominant OLB'er. either way i will be watching every game. hopefully our defense steps it up but it hard to see Troy making that much of a difference. as for Woodley, i perfer Worilds

Stangboy06
10-12-2012, 04:51 AM
If you can't beat crappy teams on the road you are a crappy team

maddog78
10-12-2012, 06:42 AM

How does a trainer prevent a 350 pound lummox from collapsing your knee because he can't keep his feet? Gilbert has taken out THREE players' knees this year because he gets ragdolled so much. He's looking like a bust.

In fact, Pouncey is the only linemen worth his salt, and Gilbert took him out.

We've had several below average drafts in a row and we're going to be reaping the pain for years to come.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
no doubt.

it is a disgrace to lose our starting center, right tackle and number 1 and 2 running backs in a single game (and have to sweat out 2 of our 3 remaining safetied writhing around in pain on the field).

having 16 games on thursday night is complete bullshit. that is too little recovery time for these atheletes who play a violent game, especially the atheletes who are a bit older and ESPECIALLY for the road team.

roger goodell and the owners are about 1 thing and 1 thing only, and that is increasing revenue.

as long as it isnt a head or neck injury (or a knee injury to a star qb like brady) they dont care who gets hurt in the process.

i will just laugh at those who continue to blame lebeau who has forgotten more football than any message board fan and most coordinators in the league know.

i dont hate suisham, but i certainly dont trust him from beyond 45 yds. his 53 yarder was a good kick just a yard too short. our special teams are definitely hurting this season. 10 days off couldnt have come at a better time.

Lol. Altitude in Denver, time zone in Oakland, now short week in Tennessee? Did the Titans have a bye last week? I suppose in Cincinnati it will be the chili.

Even before the injuries, our OL was not moving the worst defense in football.

Bottom line, the entire team is #7 right now. If he's off, we lose, and it doesn't matter who we play.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 06:52 AM
i cant see how some of you can talk bad about our kicker, he has done an awesome job and missed a very hard kick by about a yard. we have way to many problems on the defensive side of the ball to compete. we let CJ double his ypc on the year against us. either we are going to get healthy midseason and make a run or were going to get a higher draft pick then usual and can grab a shut down saftey or a dominant OLB'er. either way i will be watching every game. hopefully our defense steps it up but it hard to see Troy making that much of a difference. as for Woodley, i perfer Worilds

Agreed. That 54-yard attempt was the worst of four options. Punt, try to draw them offsides and then punt, go for it, attempt FG.

Tomlin never has been a good game day coach. These bad moves come as no surprise..

beer72
10-12-2012, 08:01 AM
I still believe in Suisham ...other things are questionable tho :doh:

steelerchad
10-12-2012, 08:37 AM
I think we may need a high pick with the older guys losing steam. And I still say they should have traded Wallace for a 1st rounder. Could have used a couple of 1st rounders this coming year.

They tried to trade Wallace for a first rounder by slapping the tender on him and had no takers. Not a single team was interested.

Rockonsteel
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
How does a trainer prevent a 350 pound lummox from collapsing your knee because he can't keep his feet? Gilbert has taken out THREE players' knees this year because he gets ragdolled so much. He's looking like a bust.

In fact, Pouncey is the only linemen worth his salt, and Gilbert took him out.

We've had several below average drafts in a row and we're going to be reaping the pain for years to come.

That's the thing. Steelers OL, and Gilbert especially, are constantly being driven into the backfiled by the opposing D-linemen.

They are getting tossed around like ragdolls, and as a result, they're often driven or tossed into their own teammates who are usually struggling to handle their own blocking assignments respectfully, causing some of the injuries we've seen.

Also, in the run game, they don't get a lot of push, and the LOS is often reset 2 yds. in the Steelers backfield way too often.

This certainly raises the question, are the Steelers offensive linemen strong enough to go against the defenders they face week in and week out? It's a legitimate question. Which makes questioning the competency of the strength and conditioning coach entirely legit.

Rockon

FacemeIke
10-12-2012, 10:01 AM
We've been spoiled over the years with great teams. Right now we're an average team and most games will come down to making plays in the 4th quarter. To be honest, I don't think we are much worse than we were last season. Last season we caught some breaks and made some plays, but this year we haven't.

My main concern though is that our one bright spot is the passing game and we are going to lose Mike Wallace after this year. No way they pay him when we have so many aging holes on defense to fill. We are going to have so many holes in the offseason to fill. I'm afraid next year will be BADDDDD. This year we're just an average team that could finish anwyere from 6-10 to 10-6 depending on how things go.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Need a couple bad seasons, maybe, to clean out the deadwood, both players and coaches who have grown stale.

stb_steeler
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
no doubt.

I never understood playing thursday night 4 days after...:noidea:

Fire Arians
10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I think we have a shot at 8-8. The offensive line is completely decimated. Ben has less than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Defense can't stop the offense at the most critical junctures. Yeah, probably 8-8.

8-8 is possible if we can go undefeated at home, but after losing to the raiders and titans on the road, i even doubt we'll beat cleveland at their house.

maybe 7-9. we'll will one road game somehow and go 6-2 at home

jiminpa
10-12-2012, 12:46 PM
I am not a Suisham fan at all, but he is getting the field goals done this year. The 54 yard attempt was just Tomlin being a better public speaker than head coach, nothing new there. He's a status quo kinda guy. There's no salary cap on coaches. The Rooney's need to make Cowher and Bobby April offers they won't be able to pass up.

ZoneBlitzer
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Playoffs are out of the question. It's just stat padding time now.

FanSince72
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
This defense sucks!!!!!

Wait!

We HAVE a defense?! :doh:

steelbad@50
10-12-2012, 05:40 PM
After reading all the comments from our faithful Steeler fans on this subject I have come to the regrettable conclusion that we simlpy SUCK!!! Yea I know DUH, Its disheartening to know that we may suck for a season or two more for the rebuilding process to take hold, I'm okay with that. It was bound to happen with so much success in previous seasons as someone said in an earlier post . Then again we could all be wrong and they go on a 10 game winning streak, just sayin.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Playoffs are out of the question. It's just stat padding time now.

The thing is, people still have "mathematical optimism". We only have 3 losses, and 10-6 gets you in the playoffs.

So, despite how they've played much of this season, they only look forward and ignore what the Steelers, as Tomlin would say, have put on tape.

As the week progresses, memories of the week before fade and anticipation of the upcoming game builds, spirits buoyed by nothing tangible other than simple hope. By game day, everyone is geeked up for the big rebound game. We're still in this!

And then the team that can't run the ball, can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, has shoddy special teams, leads the league in penalties, and makes bonehead in-game decisions plays another 60 minutes of garbage football.

Not to worry, but mid-week we'll be talking of how we could still go 8-2 and make the playoffs.

The cycle will continue until we're mathematically eliminated. Watch - even if we slip to 2-6, there will be those calling for a running of the table. And if we slip to 2-7, we'll have threads like "Here's what needs to happen to make the playoffs at 9-7".

Fire Arians
10-12-2012, 05:54 PM
The cycle will continue until we're mathematically eliminated. Watch - even if we slip to 2-6, there will be those calling for a running of the table. And if we slip to 2-7, we'll have threads like "Here's what needs to happen to make the playoffs at 9-7".

not here, after seeing basically all of our starting OL, redman, and mendenhall get injured, the team's inability to win on the road even against bottom tier teams, right in time for the tougher part of the schedule, my expectations out of the season are 8-8.

I'll be happy if we win, but I will no longer expect wins like I used to. With that said, bengals 27 steelers 17

maddog78
10-12-2012, 05:58 PM
not here, after seeing basically all of our starting OL, redman, and mendenhall get injured, the team's inability to win on the road even against bottom tier teams, right in time for the tougher part of the schedule, my expectations out of the season are 8-8.

I'll be happy if we win, but I will no longer expect wins like I used to. With that said, bengals 27 steelers 17

8-8? I'm having a very difficult time finding 6 wins here.

@Cincy
Wash
@NYG
KC
Balt
@Cle
@Balt
SD
@Dal
Cin
Cle

Fire Arians
10-12-2012, 06:03 PM
8-8? I'm having a very difficult time finding 6 wins here.

@Cincy
Wash
@NYG
KC
Balt
@Cle
@Balt
SD
@Dal
Cin
Cle

split with cincy, winning the home game
sweep cleveland (well, maybe)
win KC, Wash

and well, I don't know. I guess that makes it 7-9 :chuckle:

who knows, they may have made themselves look bad enough to the point one of those better teams could drop one in a trap game.

vs dallas it's always possible romo has one of those games where he throws 5 picks lol. then again maybe not. against our secondary if he has one of those games, we'll have 7 passes defensed and maybe 1 INT cause our db's can't catch

WVABE
10-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Cal me crazy, I'm stickin' to my 12-4 prediction.

Crazier things have happened.

Now back to my rubber-room.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 12:56 PM

okay, you're crazy...:thumbsup:

SteelWarrior69
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Crazier things have happened.

Now back to my rubber-room.

Even if the refs wore black and gold this year we wouldn't have 12 wins:drink:

steelerchad
10-13-2012, 07:20 PM
All 3 losses were 4th quarter losses and 1 of the wins. The only game that didn't come down to the 4th Q was the Jets. You could flip a coin each week and come as close as anyone as to whether this team will win or lose. I say they still finish 8-8 or 9-7, but it could go wrong and I wouldn't be surprised at 6-10 either. Any worse than that and I would be a little surprised.

PhantomJB93
10-13-2012, 07:25 PM
I think 10-6 with maybe a WC spot but not particularly likely. I think we lose to Cincinnati once, at Baltimore once, and New York. Call me crazy but I think we win the rest of our games outside of those. We get a Washington team just as injury decimated as we are, a Browns team that simply doesn't have the talent, San Diego at home which we should be able to pull out, Dallas in December when they always underachieve...I think we pull out the win against Baltimore at home on Sunday night and we can definitely beat Cincy at least once if not twice.

ricardisimo
10-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I still say we'll go 12-4 again, and I'll enjoy the season and that's all that really matters.

Rick5895
10-14-2012, 05:01 AM
This is the OVER REACTION thread. Just like ESPN's overreaction Monday spot the have on one of the NFL shows they have.
Most games in the NFL comedown to 2 or 3 plays that determine the outcome.

Against the Titans here is my few plays

1st drive of the game, Wallace drops a ball he should've caught in the end zone, we settle for a field goal (-4 Points)

Blocked punt, giving the Titans the ball at our 1.

Up 23 - 16 Tennessee is on the game tying drive, Keenan Lewis drops a sure pic (reminds me of the 09 raiders game when Burnet dropped a sure pic on the Raiders winning drive) that now is another -7 points (btw if he makes this pic we are saying the defense played well, only allowing 1td after a blocked kick)

Game Tied, Ryan Clark drops a pic on a great effort (no blameing him it would have been a tough play, Just one of those plays we made in 05, 08, 10)

The ridicules decision to kick a 54 yard field goal with 55 seconds left, knowing a miss is likely the kiss of death. That was , IMO, panic coaching.

I said it before the first 6 games were going to be tough because of the travel. I felt if we made it through 4-2 or 3-3 we would be ok. Injuries are not accounted for but they happen.

I will say this though, Tomlin needs to take Ike and sit his ass on the bench. his two or three PI or defensive holding enalties every game are killing us, not to mention his poor coverage. Start Cortez Allen in that spot, mae Ike the dime DB. When Cowher did that to Ike, it made Ike a much better player, needs to happen again.

I predict no worse than 10-6 and a playoff berth.

BTW I know that more than 3 or 3 but you get the idea.

mikegrimey
10-14-2012, 08:04 AM
This is the OVER REACTION thread. Just like ESPN's overreaction Monday spot the have on one of the NFL shows they have.

1st drive of the game, Wallace drops a ball he should've caught in the end zone, we settle for a field goal (-4 Points)

Up 23 - 16 Tennessee is on the game tying drive, Keenan Lewis drops a sure pic (reminds me of the 09 raiders game when Burnet dropped a sure pic on the Raiders winning drive) that now is another -7 points (btw if he makes this pic we are saying the defense played well, only allowing 1td after a blocked kick)

Game Tied, Ryan Clark drops a pic on a great effort (no blameing him it would have been a tough play, Just one of those plays we made in 05, 08, 10)

The ridicules decision to kick a 54 yard field goal with 55 seconds left, knowing a miss is likely the kiss of death. That was , IMO, panic coaching.

I said it before the first 6 games were going to be tough because of the travel. I felt if we made it through 4-2 or 3-3 we would be ok. Injuries are not accounted for but they happen.

I will say this though, Tomlin needs to take Ike and sit his ass on the bench. his two or three PI or defensive holding enalties every game are killing us, not to mention his poor coverage. Start Cortez Allen in that spot, mae Ike the dime DB. When Cowher did that to Ike, it made Ike a much better player, needs to happen again.

Are you talking about in 2006 when Cowher benched Taylor for consistently poor play? I remember he never got his groove back until 2007, when Tomlin took over. Benching Taylor looks good to some, but is there a realistic replacement for him?, I know people love hyperbole and will claim that their obese FUPA rocking grandmas couldn't do worse than Taylor, but that's stuff and nonsense. Furthermore, benching Taylor may not have the effect some think it will. Like it or not, Taylor is our best option as a starting CB, we need to get better play out of him, not demoralize him even more while watching a replacement fail even worse.

maddog78
10-14-2012, 09:58 AM

So other than consistently bad play and bad decisions, we're fine? And you're only pointing to game changing plays we can't make. Feel free to list out all of that stiff Hasslebeck's easy completions, or the struggling Chris Johnson's gashes of our defense on a routine basis.

A good team blows out Tennessee, it doesn't need to "find a way to win" against what everyone thought was the worst team in football.

TRH
10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
So other than consistently bad play and bad decisions, we're fine? And you're only pointing to game changing plays we can't make. Feel free to list out all of that stiff Hasslebeck's easy completions, or the struggling Chris Johnson's gashes of our defense on a routine basis.

A good team blows out Tennessee, it doesn't need to "find a way to win" against what everyone thought was the worst team in football.

I agree. Most of it isn't actually "over-reaction". The fact is, unfortunately, alot of it is absolutely true.

Rick5895
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
If those plays are made. It just may be a blowout or a 2 td win.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
10-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I still see us going 10-6 and making a deep run in the playoffs maybe superbowl, just look at the last two super bowl winners.

truesteelerfan
10-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I still see us going 10-6 and making a deep run in the playoffs maybe superbowl, just look at the last two super bowl winners.

I agree - finally someone positive on here - Look, we played some bad games to start the year - we all know every team gets UP to play the Steelers - Players need to have short memories, and we do too - Until we're officially eliminated, I'm planning on watching our boys play until late January- Early February!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!
:tt02:

Lokki
10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
In this Thread...

http://www.weltbranding.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/jumping_bridge.jpg

I still have faith.

Hawaii 5-0
10-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Steelers are remaining optimistic despite 2-3 start to NFL season

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=G95OJ g68pfKKMtDAgCfGUc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvcu30euPcpbWj 0LhuoHftWWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers’ 2-3 record is not unprecedented, nor has the team never rebounded from such a start. The Steelers have been 2-3 or worse 13 times since the 1970 NFL merger. Their five-game results and final record during those seasons:

Year Start Finish

2006 2-3 8-8

2003 2-3 6-10

2002 2-3 10-5-1*

2000 2-3 9-7

1999 2-3 6-10

1990 2-3 9-7

1989 2-3 9-7*

1988 1-4 5-11

1986 1-4 6-10

1985 2-3 7-9

1976 1-4 10-4*

1971 2-3 6-8

1970 2-3 5-9

*Made playoffs

Maybe the Steelers will look back on this stretch in December, as Larry Foote suggests, and say it prevented them only from having a great season.

Or maybe they will remember this as the time their season got away.

The Steelers (2-3) already have reached a crisis level. Keep this up, and they might be doomed to the worst Steelers season since the 2003 team went 6-10. Even if they get it fixed, there is plenty of catching up to do.

There were two can’t-lose games in the front half of their schedule: against the statistically terrible Titans and the bad-all-around Raiders. The Steelers gave up late leads and lost on final-play field goals, including their 26-23 loss Thursday at Tennessee.

“We’ve dug deeper since I’ve been here,” left tackle Max Starks said. “I’m not worried. I’m not discouraged. If this is the worst that can happen, we’ll be all right.”

Still, this team is one loss away from matching the regular-season total of each of their past two teams, which went 12-4.

What must be most troubling is there isn’t an easy fix, not with major issues on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, they can’t run — a running back has yet to gain 70 yards in a game — or put away games in the fourth quarter, during which they’ve been outscored, 47-29. Their 3-yards-per-carry average is the NFL’s second lowest.

And whether their games involve regular officials or replacements, it doesn’t matter; flags are flying with such regularity that the Steelers are the NFL’s most-penalized team (79.5 yards per game). A season ago, they were 14th in penalties.

Defensively, they can’t get off the field, as opponents are converting on nearly half of all third downs (29 of 59); only the Raiders are worse. They’re also near the bottom with only two interceptions.

“We’ve got to be more efficient in different areas,” left guard Willie Colon said. “The main thing is we’ve got to stay together as a team. We can’t point fingers. We can’t get into who’s at fault. We’ve got to flat-out do better. Somehow, somewhere, we’ve got to pick it up.”

The supposed easy stretch of the schedule is over. The Steelers travel to Cincinnati on Sunday night, then play the Redskins at home and the Super Bowl champion Giants on the road. Their four games after that include two against the AFC North-leading Ravens (5-1).

Then there’s this: The Steelers since 1970 have reached the playoffs only three times after having a losing record at this stage of the season (2002, 1989 and 1976).

“One of the biggest things is that time is still on our side,” Starks said. “But we’ve got to be vigilant. We can’t be careless with that time.”

Foote has been through numerous crisis levels during his 10 seasons in Pittsburgh.

“I’ve seen this pop up before late in the season, but this is uncharted waters at the start of a season,” Foote said. “I’ve never been here before. That’s why this game is so great, so emotional, why we respect it so much, because it is a challenge.

“Now we’ve got to take it head on. We got to own it, and we have to take responsibility. And the next game we’ve got to go win.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2769215-85/2-3-steelers-season-game-start-team-1970-6-10-games-nfl#ixzz29OmnOenx

teegre
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
I remember, in 1989, five teams had to lose on the final day (or several teams over the final two week)... and they did. It was like a 5% chance... but, it worked out.

In 2009, I think that only one other team had to lose, but didn't.

As in: some years, LUCK gets you into the play-offs. And, I'm feeling lucky. :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
And, I'm feeling lucky. :wink02:

http://static3.beanscdn.co.uk/modules/SbPicture/picture/no-i-m-not-feeling-lucky-1.jpg

fer522
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
If those plays are made. It just may be a blowout or a 2 td win.

and if my dod had wheels he'd be a car :noidea:

teegre
10-15-2012, 07:12 PM
http://static3.beanscdn.co.uk/modules/SbPicture/picture/no-i-m-not-feeling-lucky-1.jpg

Brother, you are the king of Google image search. :applaudit:

fer522
10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree - finally someone positive on here - Look, we played some bad games to start the year - we all know every team gets UP to play the Steelers - Players need to have short memories, and we do too - Until we're officially eliminated, I'm planning on watching our boys play until late January- Early February!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!
:tt02:

we didn't only play bad games, we played bad teams!!!! and they kicked our ass!!!! and on top of that we have like 4 hundred thousand players hurt!!!! what they need to do is sit Ike,Casey,and maybe even Kiesel and let the younger guys play,so they can be get ready for next year :noidea:

tony hipchest
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
we didn't only play bad games, we played bad teams!!!! and they kicked our ass!!!! and on top of that we have like 4 hundred thousand players hurt!!!! what they need to do is sit Ike,Casey,and maybe even Kiesel and let the younger guys play,so they can be get ready for next year :noidea:whos to say who is a "bad team"? dont believe weekly power rankings.

"good team" packers and patriots are both 3-3 and "bad team" seattle beat them both with a rookie qb.

"bad team" cardinals are 4-2 and beat the patriots as well. :noidea:

week 6 is WAY to early to begin making playoff reservations.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-15-2012, 08:17 PM
whos to say who is a "bad team"? dont believe weekly power rankings.

"good team" packers and patriots are both 3-3 and "bad team" seattle beat them both with a rookie qb.

"bad team" cardinals are 4-2 and beat the patriots as well. :noidea:

week 6 is WAY to early to begin making playoff reservations.

I agree, but still think leaving losses on the field to the Raiders and Titans is not the sign of a team that should win the AFC North. Be lucky to make a wildcard, but more likely to finish 8-8

FrancoLambert
10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Oakland and Tennessee are legitimate bad teams.
It will be very hard to recover from those two losses.

maddog78
10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Oakland and Tennessee are legitimate bad teams.
It will be very hard to recover from those two losses.

Denver's looking bad, too, about to drop to 2-4.

StainlessStill
10-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Mid-season is approaching, which mean pretenders will fall and contenders will rise. This is why the NFL is so great. Anybody can beat anybody and it's been more evident over the past few years than say, 5 years ago, especially this season. We're not out of it by any stretch of the imagination.

FanSince72
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/steelersneverquit2_zpsbaee2a8d.jpg

tony hipchest
10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Denver's looking bad, too, about to drop to 2-4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MPoqqzwdY

yep. :rolleyes:

i would say anyone who has watched peyton his entire career on MNF knows to never count him out, but im late to the thread.

i hope youre as "good" at predicting seasons as you are games. :applaudit:

StainlessStill
10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Just off the top of my head, though, we needed the Broncos to win tonight and win their division. If the Chargers would have won, that would have put the Broncs in Wild Card contention (which we will probably be gunning for) and we lose the tiebreaker with Denver. We have S.D later in December so beating them head to head would serve us well.

Lady Steel
10-16-2012, 12:22 AM
What a bunch of Debbie Downers in this thread. Glad I don't know a lot of you in real life. You are too depressing. Take a freaking Prozac already.

If we don't have a winning season, will it be the end of the world? No. According to some, the end of the world will come before this season is even over (12/21/12). :sofunny:

I will never, ever give up on my team because I'm not a quitter and neither are the Pittsburgh Steelers.

GO STEELERS! :tt:

steelfury02
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
likewise