PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's stock dropping

Raw Steel
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.

OX1947
10-12-2012, 12:13 AM
This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. Tomlin just got bought out by Big ben and he saved his ass more then normal. It almost cost the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The year before, lost to Jags in the last min. in 2010 afc title game, almost blew that game. I mean, this isnt isolated, this is a trend. It just shows more now because we do not have the horses to cover it. Tomlin's close out coaching is absolutely terrible.

defence
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.

I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.

steelbelieve
10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.

I don't punt. My best player is number 7, and the strength of the team at wr. You go for it on 4th down there to get the first down, put yourself in field goal range and run the clock down to nothing. If you make the first down, the worst case is that you're going to overtime if your kicker misses an manageable kick. If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.

Chadmagic
10-12-2012, 12:23 AM
The good thing about going 6-10 this year is higher draft picks.

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 12:27 AM
This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. .

you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

:shout:-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!

:jerkit:

OX1947
10-12-2012, 12:38 AM
you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

:shout:-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!

:jerkit:

Here comes Mr Contrarian again. Do you just go around and tell everyone the exact opposite of what they say?

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 12:40 AM
did you just call yourself an asshole?

AndyWitmyer
10-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I really do think the idea to go with a FG was a bad idea. I love Tomlin, I think he's a great coach - and I think Suisham is an above average kicker who has quietly done his share to help the team since he's been here - but he just kicked a 52-yarder in the previous drive. Given the circumstances (4th quarter with some time remaining, timeouts, and a chance to pin the Titans deep into their own territory), I'd probably have to say after weighing out all of the options, punting probably would have been the best course of action. In fact, I might have been more inclined to have at least gone for it on 4th down (perhaps a fake punt?)

We're losing a lot of awfully close games that honestly should never have been that close to begin with. The Steelers season isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but this loss obviously didn't help - we can't seem to win on the road, at all - and unless the team identifies and corrects what is going wrong, the hole is only going to get deeper.

AndyWitmyer
10-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't punt. My best player is number 7... If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.

This was pretty much my humble opinion on the matter. Not that I think anyone honestly cares what my order of preference might have been...but, honestly...if given a choice between these three possibilities, I'd have put going for a 54 yd FG as a distant third...attempting a 4th down conversion with Ben would have been my first 1st choice, followed by a punt.

Oh well - c'est la vie! There's always next game.

OX1947
10-12-2012, 01:17 AM

No, I'm calling you Skip Bayless.

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
who is skippy bayless?

OX1947
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
who is skippy bayless?

You.

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 02:26 AM
and you are Ox Thoughtless?

nice to meet you mr. thoughtless. quit watching "first take". it pollutes the mind and will turn you into a contrarian. :smile:

OX1947
10-12-2012, 02:29 AM

nice to meet you mr. thoughtless. quit watching "first take". it pollutes the mind and will turn you into a contrarian. :smile:

Really? hhahahahahahahaha

Millers the sh!t
10-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Been saying Tomlin sucked since I joined the board. I thought I made some of you cry with all the negative comments I received. Long story short, Haley needs a promotion.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Here comes Mr Contrarian again. Do you just go around and tell everyone the exact opposite of what they say?

He's just a homer who believes the Steelers can do and never have done wrong. All he's got left is flailing and flopping and insulting others who see this team for what it is.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 08:16 AM

-Flames directed towards other users (possible temporary ban).

Where's a moderator when you need one?

3rdandlong
10-12-2012, 09:18 AM
I felt Tomlin's bad coaching had been bailed out by our talent over and over. The man makes too many mistakes during a game and his players don't seem to correct problems that look soluble. Not a huge fan of Tomlin

Darkstorm05
10-12-2012, 09:38 AM
-Flames directed towards other users (possible temporary ban).

Where's a moderator when you need one?

He is a moderator, actually.

maddog78
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
He is a moderator, actually.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. This isn't my first message board, and certainly not the first time I've seen the moderator bully pulpit in action.

Fire Arians
10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, after the 2nd quarter was done, I can't really say I was disappointed with the outcome of the game because I've already seen in coming. I've never seen the Steelers play that flat and ever win, regardless of the opponent.

With that said, we just have to face the music, this isn't a championship team this year. The team started off the season with way too many injuries and is even more banged up this year. We can't help that situation, but take any team without key starters and they aren't the same.

Wallace is not worth the money. He's good for a home run threat and that's about all. If he's willing to play for 9 mil or less, then maybe. Fitz money? hell no, he's gonna be on the unemployment line if he asks any other team for that much money as well. He's a good receiver but he's definitely not in the elite class with fitz and megatron. his give up attitude more makes him a potential cancer on the team, and I'm not sure if I want to pay anyone with an attitude like that. what kind of message will that send to the team, you can be a quitter and still be paid? I don't think that's how the steelers organization works and I have a feeling he will walk.

Something needs to be done about troy and harrison. I loved these guys throughout their career but with all their constant injuries, it is risky business to pay these guys the amount of money they're getting when they're almost guarnateed to be injured half of the season or more. If anything, we need to draft a replacement for troy, mundy and will allen are what they are, backups. I see no starter potential in either.

Regardless of the injuries, I don't see a sense of urgency in this team at all, even dating back to last week. A good team generally rebounds strong after a tough loss, and I didn't see that in the Eagles game. Sure, we won, but we left a lot of plays on the field, and could have / should have played a lot better. The blame is on Tomlin for not keeping these guys in check. All this talk about the Titans being desperate at 1-4, well the steelers being considered a championship contender should also be desperate at 2-2. Sense of urgency? It looks like they're going through the motions. Is it time for him to unleash hell? lol. Tomlin is accountable for getting the team ready to play, and he has failed on that miserably this year.

It is what it is, we don't have a very good football team right now, and I have a feeeeeeling Pittsburgh's NOT going to the super bowl. All I'm saying is if anyone's still expecting playoffs this year, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

jiminpa
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I started being disappointed with Tomlin shortly after I realized how bad Arians was. Arians --about half way through the first season; Tomling about 4 games later. Tomlin hasn't changed my mind yet. He's a poser.

Steeldude
10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Is Tomlin another Barry Switzer? I know that question will anger the rah-rah fans

lipps83
10-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Is Tomlin another Barry Switzer? I know that question will anger the rah-rah fans

I don't think so. I think the teams problem is Dick Lebeau.

He can't call a good defensive game without Troy Polamalu to bail him out.

It's been showing for years and now it is more obvious than the sun rising everyday.

Unfortunately Lebeau is an icon in this city and it will take the National Guard to get him out of there.

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think so. I think the teams problem is Dick Lebeau.

He can't call a good defensive game without Troy Polamalu to bail him out.

It's been showing for years and now it is more obvious than the sun rising everyday.

Unfortunately Lebeau is an icon in this city and it will take the National Guard to get him out of there.

True, but that's on Tomlin too. I don't expect him to tell LeBeau to resign at the end of the year, on top of that he may not even have the power to do so, but he can at least tell him that the game plan isn't working. We don't make ANY in-game adjustments on the defensive side of the ball and we play the same cushion defense against nearly every team. Tomlin has to tell him to cut that s*** out. He also needs to tell him to play Cam Heyward, let's see what he can do since Keisel and Hood can't get it done.

This problem goes back to 2010 when the league changed. 2010 is when the defensive WR rules got blown out of proportion, which changed the way our defense played. It's not so much that Troy was bailing him out then, it's that his style of defense in not meant for this new era. Smacking the snot out of WR's in the middle, hitting QB's square on and getting in there head, and playing the run game is what LeBeau's defense is all about and now all of those things have been nullified by the new rules and the offensive changes that have followed. Troy may have made a lot of plays in 2010 but the Pats, Saints, and Packers showed that the style we were playing was becoming outdated fast. LeBeau is an excellent DC and fielded the best 3-4 defense ever to play the game, that is why I'm surprised he hasn't been able to adapt. The more I see though, even if the perfect scheme was played, I don't see us being able to stop the pass. This group of players were drafted and built around that scheme and are getting pretty old on top of that. We need some big changes.

wootawnee
10-13-2012, 01:42 AM

I have not been on here in a while..... I think all these new guys are Raven Trolls bro......:rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 01:51 AM
I have not been on here in a while..... I think all these new guys are Raven Trolls bro......:rofl:

Ox1947 is a good poster, he and tony are just having a disagreement but that doesn't make Ox a Ravens troll at all.

not to mention that Ox is not a new poster, he has more than twice as many posts as you do...

OX1947
10-13-2012, 02:26 AM
I felt Tomlin's bad coaching had been bailed out by our talent over and over. The man makes too many mistakes during a game and his players don't seem to correct problems that look soluble. Not a huge fan of Tomlin

This.

teegre
10-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Ox1947 is a good poster, he and tony are just having a disagreement but that doesn't make Ox a Ravens troll at all.

not to mention that Ox is not a new poster, he has more than twice as many posts as you do...

I can't vouch for OX, but I'm pretty certain that Tony is a Ravens fan.

In fact, I've heard Tony tell tales of riding in a limo, during SuperBowl week, about twelve years ago... allegedly.

His 30,000 posts is merely to throw us off if his scent.

:wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 02:41 AM
I can't vouch for OX, but I'm pretty certain that Tony is a Ravens fan.

In fact, I've heard Tony tell tales of riding in a limo, during SuperBowl week, about twelve years ago... allegedly.

His 30,000 posts is merely to throw us off if his scent.

:wink02:

really, I took tony for more of a Dallas Cowboys fan...:chuckle:

steelfan23
10-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I started being disappointed with Tomlin shortly after I realized how bad Arians was. Arians --about half way through the first season; Tomling about 4 games later. Tomlin hasn't changed my mind yet. He's a poser.

I was willing to give him more of a leash. We did win a SB after all That said, he has awful game management skills. He may be a players coach but it is to his detriment. He keeps players in the starting lineup that should be on the pine i.e. Keisel, Hampton this year and Gay for several. I don't lay much blame on Colbert. He addressed all our needs but Tomlin won't play these guys. The real proof to me is that he is supposed to be a defensive back minded coach and our units are consistently bad. Not a single db from his regime could start on any other team. I am sure he has a lot of input on the players that are drafted at the corner position so either he is awful at scouting, player development, or both. I get the sense that Tomlin doesn't game plan at all as evidenced by our flat performances over the years. Now this is gonna rub people the wrong way but, him being black gets him a free pass with the media, especially football pundits who all happen to be black. We are basically stuck with him forever, mark my words. He will never be fired. All we can hope for is for him to finally just resign...but good luck with that

Passing on that third down and the subsequent FG attempt should have been enough to wake up the Rooneys but like I said, their stuck with him now.

jiminpa
10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Why would he resign? Either he knows how far in over his head he is and can't afford to lose the job, or he doesn't know how far over his head he is and thinks he has no need to resign. He doesn't seem to have the depth of being to actually question himself. I could be wrong about the depth of being though, that may just be his public persona. I basically see him as an actor playing the role of the Steelers head coach in an improvisation.

MACH1
10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Tonys just "padding his stats".

Theres plenty of blame to go around all the way from the water boy to Tomlin.

TRH
10-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Tomlin's completely safe......but i think for the 1st time in his Pittsburgh career, he's starting to sweat bullets. Being a winner here is not "automatic" and he needs to turn it around and turn it around quickly

kwpit79
10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh. I'll just say this, I'm glad none of you here run the Steelers. I'm assuming you're the same people who wanted to get rid of Cowher after the '98-00 seasons as well because those teams were MUCH worse than our current squad.

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. ;)

I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach. Every single coach you look at is going to have flaws on his resume. Tomlin's winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself. Hint: It's better than the following: Bill Walsh, Bill Belicheat, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Sean Payton, and is currently tied with Paul Brown.

Every team goes through rebuilding years, I'm afraid we're probably at that point. This is what happens when you draft 22-32 seemingly every year. The difference between a typical rebuilding year for the the Steelers' and a lot of other teams is we go 8-8 or 9-7, not 4-12.

Edit: Oh, and another thing regarding the fact Tomlin inherited a good team. So what? He took that good team to two Super Bowls, and was two terrible turnovers away from winning both. Name me one good coach (ONE!) who didn't have good players surrounding him.

stb_steeler
10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh. I'll just say this, I'm glad none of you here run the Steelers. I'm assuming you're the same people who wanted to get rid of Cowher after the '98-00 seasons as well because those teams were MUCH worse than our current squad.

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach.

Every team goes through rebuilding years, I'm afraid we're probably at that point. This is what happens when you draft 22-32 seemingly every year. The difference between a typical rebuilding year for the the Steelers' and a lot of other teams is we go 8-8 or 9-7, not 4-12.

Exactly.....been telling all the haters this all along...:wink02:

steelfan23
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
For Tomlin apologists I just want to know a few things. Is he good at time management i.e. when to use time outs, challenge plays, manage field position, execution of end of quarter plays? To me the answer is a resounding no. Is he a good evaluator of talent? Well, being a db minded coach he has been a part of a Steelers organization that has failed to field a competent db since he started here. Is he a good x and o's coach? Well, it's really hard for any of us to truly know but based on how our team never makes adjustments, sticks with what doesn't work, and gets outcoached pretty much every time the team plays against a team with a good head coach and QB I say no.

So media praising aside, I mean, Dungy gets praised all the time and that guy is maybe the most overrated coach of all time, what has Tomlin done or what is he so good at that makes any of you think he is a good coach? He went to that first SB based largely on a ready made team with a franchise type QB, a veteran Lebeau led defense against a weak SB opponent. We lucked out in that SB plain and simple btw. We deserve the win but could have easily have lost. We were clearly outplayed and outcoached against GB.

My concern is that the NFL moved to a passing league big time in the time since ARI SB. We happed to luck out and have a good core of offensive weapons yet we are not a prolific offense. We see this trend happening and in all those years we (until this draft) failed to really address the offensive line which would help turn us into a passing team with a better chance of success, and we fail to shore up our secondary which even against ARI was woefully unprepared to compete and obvious to the rest of the league.

Sure Colbert has a part in this but Tomlin does as well. So again, please provide concrete examples of his greatness.

jb500ex
10-14-2012, 12:51 PM
For Tomlin apologists I just want to know a few things. Is he good at time management i.e. when to use time outs, challenge plays, manage field position, execution of end of quarter plays? To me the answer is a resounding no. Is he a good evaluator of talent? Well, being a db minded coach he has been a part of a Steelers organization that has failed to field a competent db since he started here. Is he a good x and o's coach? Well, it's really hard for any of us to truly know but based on how our team never makes adjustments, sticks with what doesn't work, and gets outcoached pretty much every time the team plays against a team with a good head coach and QB I say no.

So media praising aside, I mean, Dungy gets praised all the time and that guy is maybe the most overrated coach of all time, what has Tomlin done or what is he so good at that makes any of you think he is a good coach? He went to that first SB based largely on a ready made team with a franchise type QB, a veteran Lebeau led defense against a weak SB opponent. We lucked out in that SB plain and simple btw. We deserve the win but could have easily have lost. We were clearly outplayed and outcoached against GB.

My concern is that the NFL moved to a passing league big time in the time since ARI SB. We happed to luck out and have a good core of offensive weapons yet we are not a prolific offense. We see this trend happening and in all those years we (until this draft) failed to really address the offensive line which would help turn us into a passing team with a better chance of success, and we fail to shore up our secondary which even against ARI was woefully unprepared to compete and obvious to the rest of the league.

Sure Colbert has a part in this but Tomlin does as well. So again, please provide concrete examples of his greatness.

he looks cool in sunglasses and uses big words

Bayz101
10-14-2012, 12:53 PM

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. ;)

I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach. Every single coach you look at is going to have flaws on his resume. Tomlin's winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself. Hint: It's better than the following: Bill Walsh, Bill Belicheat, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Sean Payton, and is currently tied with Paul Brown.

Edit: Oh, and another thing regarding the fact Tomlin inherited a good team. So what? He took that good team to two Super Bowls, and was two terrible turnovers away from winning both. Name me one good coach (ONE!) who didn't have good players surrounding him.

You win the thread.

Hawaii 5-0
10-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh.

all of the injuries we've had are definitely 100% Tomlin's fault...

EbonySteel86
10-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Tomlin is a good coach, just gotta grab the concept that Steelers football is 60 min not 45.

harrison'samonster
10-14-2012, 07:53 PM
I like Tomlin as a coach. He seems to make some big mistakes, but he's still very young and had no head coaching experience before working for the Steelers.

I would give him another year or two before looking for another coach. And if he doesn't turn things around by then, I would guess the Rooneys will give him another year or two after.

And I think the idea that Tomlin is black and will therefore get a free ride as the head coach for the rest of his life might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here (other than things Ravens trolls spew out).

BlaZeQuietly
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
How about we get a new kicker than can actually hit one from 55 on a regular basis, think abuut how many more points we'd be putting on the board.

TRH
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
How about we get a new kicker than can actually hit one from 55 on a regular basis, think abuut how many more points we'd be putting on the board.

i do agree that it would be nice to have a kicker like a Phil Dawson or one of the many others in the league with a strong leg. I worry anytime Suisham has to try anything over a 40,45 yarder..........
But on the other hand, we shouldn't have to worry about relying on "field goals".

JackL58
10-14-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree with the thoughts on Tomlin not having the football mentality that he needs.. Sometimes he does, but there have been numerous times when he is apparently thinking of something entirely different than football, or at least our game. Couple some bad coaching with a lack of leadership on this team and you get a mediocre team. This year is looking more and more like a 8 and 8 year. Painful.. Of course, this is how Browns fans feel every year.....

Curtain_of_Steel
10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I believe he was big time pissed off in the press conference, I have yet to watch it all but he seemed like he was ready to blow. Hopefully he took that back into the locker room and practice

JackL58
10-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Good points.... Tomlin is good and will be here for years... I do think we are entering a rebuilding year and maybe be there for 2-3 years at that.... It happens to all teams and we are due. Plus, you are correct in that we have drafted so late for so many years, and the Steelers don't go after free agents, so we have to rely on the draft to build our team... The problem is we are used to winning... That's what makes this hard... If the Brownies had the same record we have right now and the same players, they'd be ecstatic......

TRH
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I like Tomlin as a coach. He seems to make some big mistakes, but he's still very young and had no head coaching experience before working for the Steelers.

I would give him another year or two before looking for another coach. And if he doesn't turn things around by then, I would guess the Rooneys will give him another year or two after.

And I think the idea that Tomlin is black and will therefore get a free ride as the head coach for the rest of his life might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here (other than things Ravens trolls spew out).

Unless Tomlin gets arrested himself or there is a major, unreal coaching catastrophe, it will be much, much longer than a "year or two" before they start looking for another coach. The sky would have to completely fall.
Even looking at his weaknesses, he's still considered by almost everyone in football to be one of the best coaches in the league...

SuzyPeppercorn
10-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Does anybody think the 54 yd fg was a good decision? Making or missing that field goal pretty much seals the game either way. Seeing Suisham make the previous 52 yd fg by a few extra yards definitely made me think it was a reasonable decision. On the road in a close game, play for the win. Don't play for overtime.

My only question would be the 3rd and 7 play before the 54 yard attempt. If the Tomlin knew they would kick that field goal, why not run the ball to waste time/a timeout and get a few yards closer for the fg attempt?

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Does anybody think the 54 yd fg was a good decision? Making or missing that field goal pretty much seals the game either way. Seeing Suisham make the previous 52 yd fg by a few extra yards definitely made me think it was a reasonable decision. On the road in a close game, play for the win. Don't play for overtime.

My only question would be the 3rd and 7 play before the 54 yard attempt. If the Tomlin knew they would kick that field goal, why not run the ball to waste time/a timeout and get a few yards closer for the fg attempt?

GREAT question. i hope a local reporter asks tomlin that in his tuesday presser, although im sure tomlin would refuse to answer, saying they are looking towards cinci.

i dont think the 54 yarder was a bad decision, although i woulda punted. i probably wouldnt have let suisham try the 52 yarder either, so..... :hunch:

(also on the 3rd and 7, i thought ben had room to run for a few yards, if not the first down).

uclkyle
10-15-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm not sure how good of a coach MIke Tomlin actually is. I said it before the season started; this is the first year Tomlin will have to really stand on his own. Bill Cowher's draft picks are either gone or past their prime (for the most part). The critical players since 2007 (Tomlin era) are Troy, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Holmes, Farrior, Ben, and Miller. Ben and Miller are still mostly healthy and playing at a high level. Most of Tomlin's picks have done NOTHING, with the obvious exception of the three young receivers. It's becoming apparent that Tomlin can't evaluate and develop talent. Pouncey has been OK (I'm not terribly impressed), Marcus Gilbert is OK. Cam Heyward is still young, but not contributing. Ziggy Hood is a bust. How about these names, Kraig Urbik (2 round), Limas Sweed (2 round), Joe Burnett, Thaddius Gibson, Matt Spaeth......none of them panned out and they were all high picks.

Cowher's first rounders: Santonio, Ben, Heath, Troy, Casey Hampton, Faneca. Granted, Cowher missed on a few, but had several all-pros. Tomlin, not so much.

Hawaii 5-0
10-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Cowher's first rounders: Santonio, Ben, Heath, Troy, Casey Hampton, Faneca. Granted, Cowher missed on a few, but had several all-pros. Tomlin, not so much.

I thought the Steelers' General Manager was in charge of our draft selections?

I realize our GM accepts his head coach's input, but it's not like Cowher and Tomlin are solely responsible for the draft picks that were made.

Darkstorm05
10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
GREAT question. i hope a local reporter asks tomlin that in his tuesday presser, although im sure tomlin would refuse to answer, saying they are looking towards cinci.

i dont think the 54 yarder was a bad decision, although i woulda punted. i probably wouldnt have let suisham try the 52 yarder either, so..... :hunch:

(also on the 3rd and 7, i thought ben had room to run for a few yards, if not the first down).

If it came down to it, I would have kicked the FG on 3rd to see what Suisham puts up. if he makes it, great. If not, then we think over whether we punt or try again. I know everyone will say you have to give Ben a chance to convert the 1st down, but honestly, if they trusted the offense to convert, they would have went for it on 4th down.

They did not, so IMO, that option isn't on the table. That means they figured at best they'd pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards. I'd rather have an extra down to punt if need be.

OX1947
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
There isn't one specific decision on a play that worries me. He has had a knack of coming up very small at the end of games since he has been coach. He is not a good closing the game coach. Even the ones that have been won, were terrible ways to end the game.

The evidence is there and we saw how he coaches at the end of games. It's terrible. I honestly have never been impressed with his coaching anyways.

ebsteelers
10-15-2012, 02:13 PM
everyone step away from the computer, and stop the panicing..

last 2 super bowl champs didnt get hot till December

its a LONNNNGG SEASON

sure we look like dog poop so far.. BUT

name one AFC team that hasnt

2 back off first place, with 2 vs. bengals and 2 vs. ravens still.

ravens have some key injuries. and have looked BAD at home.

pats havent done squat.

bengals?

jets?

plenty of time... its all about staying a float now till week 15, and then strike like a black mamba

teegre
10-15-2012, 04:45 PM
If it came down to it, I would have kicked the FG on 3rd to see what Suisham puts up. if he makes it, great. If not, then we think over whether we punt or try again. I know everyone will say you have to give Ben a chance to convert the 1st down, but honestly, if they trusted the offense to convert, they would have went for it on 4th down.

They did not, so IMO, that option isn't on the table. That means they figured at best they'd pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards. I'd rather have an extra down to punt if need be.

You can't attempt a FG twice. Once the kick is made, the rest of the downs are ceded.

steelfury02
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
mmm . . . panicing sounds delicious

Black Mamba as in the five point palm exploding heart technique?

teegre
10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure how good of a coach MIke Tomlin actually is. I said it before the season started; this is the first year Tomlin will have to really stand on his own. Bill Cowher's draft picks are either gone or past their prime (for the most part). The critical players since 2007 (Tomlin era) are Troy, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Holmes, Farrior, Ben, and Miller. Ben and Miller are still mostly healthy and playing at a high level. Most of Tomlin's picks have done NOTHING, with the obvious exception of the three young receivers. It's becoming apparent that Tomlin can't evaluate and develop talent. Pouncey has been OK (I'm not terribly impressed), Marcus Gilbert is OK. Cam Heyward is still young, but not contributing. Ziggy Hood is a bust. How about these names, Kraig Urbik (2 round), Limas Sweed (2 round), Joe Burnett, Thaddius Gibson, Matt Spaeth......none of them panned out and they were all high picks.

Farrior was a free agent.

Woodley, Pouncey, Timmons (at times), Mendenspin (at times), Heyward (will be good, once he starts), DD.

Hood sucks.

Troy Edwards. Jamain Stephens. And, Shawn Andrews* sucked.

*(the guy that Cowher wanted instead of BB.)

OX1947
10-15-2012, 05:01 PM
There is only one black mamba in sports, and he plays for the LA Lakers.

Darkstorm05
10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
You can't attempt a FG twice. Once the kick is made, the rest of the downs are ceded.

When did that go on the books? Pretty sure I remember seeing it done in years past.

pittpete
10-15-2012, 05:24 PM
If it came down to it, I would have kicked the FG on 3rd to see what Suisham puts up. if he makes it, great. If not, then we think over whether we punt or try again
WOW?

Darkstorm05
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
When did that go on the books? Pretty sure I remember seeing it done in years past.

Ah...only helps if it's blocked. Oh well.

FrancoLambert
10-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I think a little bit of "panic" is justified at this point.
Sure, mathematically we're very much alive. It's way too early to concede.
However, when you look at the quality and consistency of play and coaching, doubt has to creep in.

The way we've lost. The inability to win on the road. Sure it's early, but those telltale signs become a habit. The early season losses to shit teams says a lot.

Are the players going to all suddenly play better......especially the D-line?
Is Ike going to overcome his horrific meltdown in progress?
The scheme and predictability on D is not going to change.
Ben's playing very well (vs. Tenn. so-so) so far.
The offense has to become more explosive.
Our O-line (better than I expected, doesn't say much though) has to play even better which can be hard to do with this group,

Hey, it can happen, they could put it all together for one more run.
But I don't see it happening with this group. They're hurt, they're old, and their skills are fading. The younger guys haven't contributed enough. Our draft hasn't produced enough starters in waiting.

I'll support them to the end like most of us but right now they are what they are, a 2-3 team that has some serious problems.

teegre
10-15-2012, 06:45 PM

A few posts later, it appears that you figured out (where you had seen it before).

Against CLEV, about a decade ago, the Steelers tried on 3rd down, and it was blocked... and, technically, it never crossed the LOS, and thus, in a weird rules loophole,PITT was allowed to attemept the FG again.

CLEV was livid.

tony hipchest
10-15-2012, 06:48 PM
mmm . . . panicing sounds delicious

Black Mamba as in the five point palm exploding heart technique?

someone should kill this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNJ1DpN07LM

There is only one black mamba in sports, and he plays for the LA Lakers.

screw kobe.

teegre
10-15-2012, 06:53 PM
screw kobe.

I did.
Sincerely,
Katelyn Faber