PDA

View Full Version : What we've learned...

ZoneBlitzer
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
The Steelers are dull and dimwitted. They are shockingly predictable and their losses are telegraphed right from the outset. Just as in the Raider game, I knew that they were going to lose right from the kick off.

What we learned from last night...

Thursday night football is murder, it sucks for both teams and it is a crippling disadvantage to have to play. Every team in the league should be forced to play a Thursday night game to even the playing field.

Apparently, the Steelers went in the game last night with no offensive gameplan. They decided to just wing it. That was cute.

The "Standard" is mediocre and average at best. This year's Steelers are just not that good and that's putting kindly. The only reason they won against the Eagles last week was because of Santa Claus, aka Mike Vick.

Tomlin is a chummy cheerleader. He's not a disciplinarian or master tactician. He's more like an Amway representative who reads tea leaves and believes in "The Secret". Consequently, the Steelers have an undisciplined ADD team that space out throughout games. It has been the signature of Tomlin's teams for quite some time now.

The Steelers have piss poor talent in the secondary. Ike Taylor has been pass interfering for the last few years. Now the league is catching up and calling him out on it. Any defensive back who can't catch the simplest of balls should be cut immediately.

The Steelers have the most poorly conditioned Oline in the league supported by the worst training staff. You could initially chalk it up to bad luck but now it is a serious trend. I've never seen such frail athletes. They need some beef up front who are flexible and athletic not just strong lumbering oafs who can't touch their toes.

Ben, who had an incredible run at it...is no longer clutch. He just isn't. He choked in the Super Bowl and he has been choking for the last couple of seasons. I used to feel confident for the Steelers when it came to late 4th quarter drives but not anymore. It seems that things are evening out for Ben in his career. The guy you could always count on now struggles to get it done. Moving your kicker for a 54 yarder is not getting it done. He was just off last night. He forced a lot of balls and was just barely over a 50% completion percentage.

This team can't win on the road. Why? Because the crowd noise really affects the slow offensive line. They can't burst off the ball quickly on their chosen count like they can at home. They will continue to lose road games.

Finally, this team can no longer play situational football. Get a good return to the 50? Offense goes three and out. Get a turnover at midfield? Offense moves it 8 yards and kicks. Drive to the red zone to close out the half. Ben craps the bed and throws a telegraphed interception. They consistently fail to read the game. They lack concentration and discipline. This all comes down to coaching. If the chummy coach lets them get away with it in practice, it is going to show up in games.

The season is indeed over...as far as playoffs are concerned. The Steelers are painted into a very tight corner. With injuries, age, ADD coaching, bad play calling and poor conditioning and discipline, you can stick a fork in this year's edition. Let the downward slide begin.

austinfrench76
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I agree with some of this, disagree with most but Tomlin is definitely not a disciplinarian and Ike is God awful for some reason. Gilbert needs to stop killing his own teammates and Ben is off in crunch time lately. Playoffs are a dream, I hope they play for the draft!

Curtain_of_Steel
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Haley called the crunch time plays. Its not all Ben, the dude cant bail them out of every game.

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Zone, you called this downfall out after Week 1 vs Baltimore last year. Nobody was ready to call it how it looked because the Steelers have surprised us so much in the past, but you were dead on then and you are now. Ben is an excellent QB, but he's no longer clutch as you said. Didn't get it done last night, couldn't get the TD vs the Eagles, threw the pick 6 to seal the game in Denver...he just doesn't have the magic any more and he hasn't had it since not being able to move the ball at all on the last drive of the SB vs the Packers. You mentioned Tomlin then and now as part of the problem and there's no doubt that he is. This "standard" stuff is nonsense, there's a reason you have starters and there's a reason other guy's are riding the pine, not everybody can just step up and fill the role, that's why they are not a starter in the first place. The cliche's and the lack of emotion is ridiculous too. He reminds me of a "cool dad" who has a son in high school and instead of being a father, he goofs around and tries to just be the kids friend, usually screwing up the kid in the long run. May not be the best analogy, but that's what I see. As far as the situational football, it's as if a TO or a big defensive stop actually lulls our offense to sleep instead of firing them up. I don't think we lose on the road because of the O line not hearing as well, I think we lose on the road because the players play like they have a hang over when on the road. At home our players get fired up (not like they used to but more then on the road) and it usually translates into a few plays being made. The team used to be like that on the road, knowing that they need to be fired up for each other, but that died in 2010 too.

Most people will disagree, but I don't see this team being dominant again under Tomlin. When Cowher's players were still elite in 2008, they were possibly the best defense to ever play and we won a SB. As Cowher's players declined we were able to make it to the SB, but couldn't win it, and got lucky that the Ravens collapsed against us and the Jets somehow beat the Patriots who pulled our pants down earlier that year. Now we are pretty much left with a few guys well past their prime from Cowher's team (except Ben), and a lot of new guys from Tomlin's team, and it's not good. These newer guys like Hood, Lewis, Allen, McClendon, Worilds, etc. came in under Tomlin, and they just don't have the heart that Cowher inspired his teams to play with. On top of that, our draft picks under Tomlin have not panned out: Hood is average, none of our CB's are worth a crap, Worilds played well when filling in last year but can't stay healthy and definitely hasn't shown he's ready to be our next pass rusher. Carter isn't either. On the O line we have drafted young guys that can't stay healthy and spent a #2 pick on a guy (Adams) who looks lost on the field. The jury is still out on Heyward, but that pretty much sums up what our defensive drafts have been like under Tomlin. Timmons is the only one looking like he was worth a top pick, but we had to wait a long time to see that and I'm not convinced his great play will continue.

Enough of the not "rebuilding, only reloading". We don't have the foundation to reload on defense and we don't have the coaching staff to be able to only reload again. IMO we don't even have the coaching staff to choose the right players to reload with.

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree with some of this, disagree with most but Tomlin is definitely not a disciplinarian and Ike is God awful for some reason. Gilbert needs to stop killing his own teammates and Ben is off in crunch time lately. Playoffs are a dream, I hope they play for the draft!

It's unrealistic, but being that we're not going anywhere this year, I say we just game plan for the Ravens games starting now. They planned for us all last season and it worked, let's try the same starting now. If we go 4-12 but beat the Ravens twice and get a #2 or #3 pick I'd be happy. Better then getting swept by Baltimore, winning a few home games against scrub teams, and getting another "further down the list" pick.

Rockonsteel
10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Most people will disagree, but I don't see this team being dominant again under Tomlin. When Cowher's players were still elite in 2008, they were possibly the best defense to ever play and we won a SB. As Cowher's players declined we were able to make it to the SB, but couldn't win it, and got lucky that the Ravens collapsed against us and the Jets somehow beat the Patriots who pulled our pants down earlier that year. Now we are pretty much left with a few guys well past their prime from Cowher's team (except Ben), and a lot of new guys from Tomlin's team, and it's not good. These newer guys like Hood, Lewis, Allen, McClendon, Worilds, etc. came in under Tomlin, and they just don't have the heart that Cowher inspired his teams to play with. On top of that, our draft picks under Tomlin have not panned out: Hood is average, none of our CB's are worth a crap, Worilds played well when filling in last year but can't stay healthy and definitely hasn't shown he's ready to be our next pass rusher. Carter isn't either. On the O line we have drafted young guys that can't stay healthy and spent a #2 pick on a guy (Adams) who looks lost on the field. The jury is still out on Heyward, but that pretty much sums up what our defensive drafts have been like under Tomlin. Timmons is the only one looking like he was worth a top pick, but we had to wait a long time to see that and I'm not convinced his great play will continue.

Enough of the not "rebuilding, only reloading". We don't have the foundation to reload on defense and we don't have the coaching staff to be able to only reload again. IMO we don't even have the coaching staff to choose the right players to reload with.

You forgot about Ryan Mundy's stinking ass. They had the nerve to actually make him the two-way go at backup safety, behind Troy and Ryan, first off the bench for either guy, like he's that good. Hell, he's not good at either SS or FS, let alone being backup for both. I don't even understand why he's still on the team. Golden showed enough in the preseason, IMO, that I would've gone with Golden over Mundy for the final 53.

Rockon

Millers the sh!t
10-12-2012, 05:15 PM
All true... The Steelers are in a recession. We are all in for at least ten years of mediocrity. Tomlin extinguished one hell of a good team.

FanSince72
10-12-2012, 05:16 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/lebeau%20defense.jpg

lipps83
10-12-2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/lebeau%20defense.jpg

This is not only funny, but very very true.

Uncle Richie has been riding the coattails of Polamalu for the last 5 years.

When Troy is out, it is really starting to show that he clearly does not know what to do and seems to call a completely different type of game defensively.

If your entire defensive scheme needs ONE PARTICULAR PLAYER to be healthy to actually be somewhat effective....

IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO RETIRE.

Steel_Bus_24
10-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Man someone needs to hang that s*** in the locker room

This is as flat as I can ever remember our team being in the last decade or so

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
All true... The Steelers are in a recession. We are all in for at least ten years of mediocrity. Tomlin extinguished one hell of a good team.

Not 10 years. The Rooney's won't allow it go that long this time around. I think we will be LESS then mediocre as long as Tomlin is here UNLESS he starts getting some good draft picks on defense. I think the offense has MORE then enough talent to be successful, the talent on offense is far superior to most teams, therefore the draft picks need to be spent on defense. As I showed earlier, Tomlin has not done very well with defensive picks. If he starts getting some good draft picks to at least replace a few of the vets, then we'll be back to mediocre. If not, then this team will stink something fierce for a year or two. After that I see a change being made. No disrespect but at his age Rooney could die any time. I'm sure he want's to see another championship and that's only going to come with Ben still on the team. Unfortunately Ben has seemingly lost his 4th quarter magic, so it will be an uphill battle more then ever. It can be done, the spirit of the Steelers organization is not dead nor will it ever be, these players and coaches just don't seem to play with it right now. Somewhere down the line after we get some good defensive draft picks and the proper adjustments are made (coaches and players), another Cowher/Porter/Farrior/Ward will come along and teach the new guys what it means to be a Steeler, and then we will be back in contention.

tony hipchest
10-12-2012, 07:27 PM
What we've learned... is that if all the bitching barbaras come out at once it will crash the servers with too much traffic.

it quite comical how this board is usually at a snails pace after a win, but after a loss, especially a meaningful loss this early in the season, the negative nellies come out of the woodwork and flood the servers like cockroaches.

:hatsoff:

pete74
10-12-2012, 07:31 PM
What are you guys talking about? We still can pick it up this year and win the super bowl let alone the next 10. Giants just barley made playoffs last season and lost to alot of crappy teams before going on to win the super bowl. All that matters in the nfl is when you click. If we click at the right time you'll all be jumping back on the wagon

tanda10506
10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
What are you guys talking about? We still can pick it up this year and win the super bowl let alone the next 10. Giants just barley made playoffs last season and lost to alot of crappy teams before going on to win the super bowl. All that matters in the nfl is when you click. If we click at the right time you'll all be jumping back on the wagon

Being realistic has nothing to do with being on a wagon. I love the team and I will still be watching and cheering for them every game, but that doesn't mean there's not obvious flaws. Of course we can get things going at the exact right time like the Giants did, and I'd love to see it, I just don't see it happening with the veteran's dropping off, the new guys looking mediocre, and the coaching staff looking below that. Either way I'll be at the same place on Sunday.

Fire Arians
10-12-2012, 08:04 PM

the giants started off 6-2, and after that, the only losses (other than the redskins) they had were against playoff contenders (SF, packers, eagles, saints).

on the other hand, we're losing to the bottom feeders. Sorry man, as much as I like to be optimistic on the Steelers season, we aren't going anywhere this year. I can understand if we lost to contenders on the road, but those were the worst of the worst. and we lost to them, so what does that make us? lol.

steelerchad
10-12-2012, 08:15 PM
The Steelers are dull and dimwitted. They are shockingly predictable and their losses are telegraphed right from the outset. Just as in the Raider game, I knew that they were going to lose right from the kick off.

What we learned from last night...

Thursday night football is murder, it sucks for both teams and it is a crippling disadvantage to have to play. Every team in the league should be forced to play a Thursday night game to even the playing field.

Apparently, the Steelers went in the game last night with no offensive gameplan. They decided to just wing it. That was cute.

The "Standard" is mediocre and average at best. This year's Steelers are just not that good and that's putting kindly. The only reason they won against the Eagles last week was because of Santa Claus, aka Mike Vick.

Tomlin is a chummy cheerleader. He's not a disciplinarian or master tactician. He's more like an Amway representative who reads tea leaves and believes in "The Secret". Consequently, the Steelers have an undisciplined ADD team that space out throughout games. It has been the signature of Tomlin's teams for quite some time now.

The Steelers have piss poor talent in the secondary. Ike Taylor has been pass interfering for the last few years. Now the league is catching up and calling him out on it. Any defensive back who can't catch the simplest of balls should be cut immediately.

The Steelers have the most poorly conditioned Oline in the league supported by the worst training staff. You could initially chalk it up to bad luck but now it is a serious trend. I've never seen such frail athletes. They need some beef up front who are flexible and athletic not just strong lumbering oafs who can't touch their toes.

Ben, who had an incredible run at it...is no longer clutch. He just isn't. He choked in the Super Bowl and he has been choking for the last couple of seasons. I used to feel confident for the Steelers when it came to late 4th quarter drives but not anymore. It seems that things are evening out for Ben in his career. The guy you could always count on now struggles to get it done. Moving your kicker for a 54 yarder is not getting it done. He was just off last night. He forced a lot of balls and was just barely over a 50% completion percentage.

This team can't win on the road. Why? Because the crowd noise really affects the slow offensive line. They can't burst off the ball quickly on their chosen count like they can at home. They will continue to lose road games.

Finally, this team can no longer play situational football. Get a good return to the 50? Offense goes three and out. Get a turnover at midfield? Offense moves it 8 yards and kicks. Drive to the red zone to close out the half. Ben craps the bed and throws a telegraphed interception. They consistently fail to read the game. They lack concentration and discipline. This all comes down to coaching. If the chummy coach lets them get away with it in practice, it is going to show up in games.

The season is indeed over...as far as playoffs are concerned. The Steelers are painted into a very tight corner. With injuries, age, ADD coaching, bad play calling and poor conditioning and discipline, you can stick a fork in this year's edition. Let the downward slide begin.

I don't know about crowd noise in Nashville. That stadium was half Steelers fans, at least. With the crowd split 50/50 it was hardly a crowd noise advantage for the Titans.

wootawnee
10-13-2012, 01:38 AM
What we've learned... is that if all the bitching barbaras come out at once it will crash the servers with too much traffic.

it quite comical how this board is usually at a snails pace after a win, but after a loss, especially a meaningful loss this early in the season, the negative nellies come out of the woodwork and flood the servers like cockroaches.

:hatsoff:

Tony I always count on you for saying the things Im feelin.... Its tough to beat the the worst team in the league with half of your team on the bench.........

OX1947
10-13-2012, 02:29 AM

Issue is our division will never have a 10-6 division winner, let alone 9-7. NFC East blew last year and Romo over throwing on a perfect open receiver would have ended the Giants. No such luck for the Steelers.

Steelers would have to win 7 or 8 in a row to make up for what happen the last few weeks.

teegre
10-13-2012, 02:31 AM

1995: 3-4... made SuperBowl

2005: 3-2, and eventually 7-5 & needing to win last four games... won SuperBowl

I'm with you.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 03:47 AM
we've learned they're 0-3 on the road so far this season...

Road struggles a concern

10/12/2012
by F. Dale Lolley

ASHVILLE, Tenn. – Perhaps these Steelers just lack a killer instinct.

Don’t get me wrong; we’ve seen it at times, particularly in the friendly confines of Heinz Field.

On the road, however, things have been quite different.

This team just doesn’t seem to have moxie on the road, something that separates average teams from good ones and good ones from great ones.

The Steelers aren’t likely to find many road venues more accommodating than LP Field was Thursday night yet they still lost, 26- 23. Half of the crowd here was wearing black and gold.

But these Steelers stumbled and bumbled their way through a game against what should have been a far inferior team, one that had given up 30 or more points in each of its first five games en route to a 1-4 start.

When you consider the Titans came into this game averaging 17 points per game and scored 16 in the first half against the Steelers, you can see the issue.

This was a team the Steelers of previous seasons would have come out and put away in the first half before locking things into cruise control in the second half. For whatever reason, this group only does that at home, if at all.

Perhaps the leadership the Steelers lost in the offseason with the retirements of Aaron Smith, Hines Ward and James Farrior was a bigger loss than anyone imagined.

Certainly, the Steelers have competently replaced those three on the field.

Smith hadn’t played much in recent seasons, and Larry Foote and Antonio Brown split time with Farrior and Ward, respectively, last season.

Where’s the grit on this team?

Who’s the guy who is going to get in the face of others when they aren’t pulling their weight?

James Harrison is gritty and has the ability to speak out when somebody’s not getting the job done, but last night was just his second game of the year after he underwent knee surgery in August.

On offense, however, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has the team’s complete attention as a leader, but there’s a seeming lack of the fire that Ward brought to each game, even at the end of his career when he wasn’t used as much.

This team also lacks discipline, as can be seen from the fact it entered Thursday night’s game leading the NFL in penalties per game.

The Steelers did a better job in that regard against the Titans, but some of the penalties assessed against them were big, including a 25-yard pass interference call against cornerback Ike Taylor in the first quarter that put the ball at the Pittsburgh 2-yard line.

The Steelers forced a field goal in that situation, but those are simply the type of plays that must be cleaned up, particularly if you hope to win on the road – even against a below-average team such as the Titans.

If it only happened last night at Tennessee, it could have been chalked up to playing on the road on a short week.

Considering we’ve seen the Steelers muddle their way through all three of their road games, a trend has certainly developed. It doesn’t bode well for this team in the long term unless the Steelers figure out a way to solve some of the issues that confront it on the road.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/lolley11/10-12-lolley-column

pete74
10-13-2012, 05:28 AM
the giants started off 6-2, and after that, the only losses (other than the redskins) they had were against playoff contenders (SF, packers, eagles, saints).

on the other hand, we're losing to the bottom feeders. Sorry man, as much as I like to be optimistic on the Steelers season, we aren't going anywhere this year. I can understand if we lost to contenders on the road, but those were the worst of the worst. and we lost to them, so what does that make us? lol.

they also went on a 4 game losing streak and ended the season 9-7. they lost to a seahawk team that was playing like shit, plus a horrible eagle and redskin team. im not saying were the same as the 2011 giants just that people shouldnt throw in the towel with 11 games remaining. maybe we will only win 5 games this season or maybe we will win the super bowl, who knows? but its to early to toss the towel in

Goldsteel86
10-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I can't speak for everyone and say "we", what I learned was the fact that the injuries can and will destroy momentum and can definitely change the attitude of the game. The biggest focus would be on execution, doing your respective job or assignment and "Staying in Your Lane", the game plan is definitely there, it worked against a pretty good Eagles team, it should have worked against a pretty poor (statistically speaking) Titans team. However, games like Thursday's games are what I call "trap games", short week of preparation, coming off of an emotional and physical game four days before, these are all factors. Oh and by the way, this is football, players are expected to play with pain, or even hurt by the true sense of the word, Tomlin and LeBeau need to quit coddling to injuries, if not then "game checks" would reflect. To sum it up, injuries left their mark, short week didn't assist and then to boot three of your first five games have been on the road, not to mention a "Bye" week in week four. Not trying to make excuses but looking ahead to another long break and time off ,as well as opening Divisional play set this game up to be a "Trap Game" and that is what it was. Remember when it comes to NFL football these are all pros, they get paid for what they do and each man does the exact same thing, they all put their pants on "One leg at a time", just like the expression "Any Given Sunday" but in this case "Any Given Thursday"!!!!

lipps83
10-13-2012, 10:02 AM

This is the absolute truth.

I wouldn't be so down on the Steelers being 2-3 if their losses were to the 49'ers, Patriots or Texans or others that are in the upper echelon of the NFL.

Instead, their 3 losses are to the Broncos (bottom half of league), Raiders (2nd worst team in league) and Titans (3rd worst team in league). The only thing that has kept the Steelers from losing to the worst team in the league so far is because the Browns are still in the NFL.

And we haven't even played them yet :noidea:

Fire Haley
10-13-2012, 10:10 AM
wait till we get beat by the Browns, then the real fun will start

Goldsteel86
10-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Not to be too sarcastic but the Browns have two things that the Steelers don't have the first being a running game and the second being the Steelers can't stop the run, I really hope you were displaying sarcasm but honestly after having to see the Clowns play last week instead of the Steelers, (:banging:) Trent Richardson is for real, Weeden, with more games he plays might become a formidable threat and also, the Giants did not get one sack against the Clowns.

Fire Haley
10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I was dead serious

I can easily see at least one loss to the Browns - probably that night we're wearing the throwbacks

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/bleacherreport/files/2012/04/Redman_original_crop_340x234.jpeg

Goldsteel86
10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I was dead serious

I can easily see at least one loss to the Browns - probably that night we're wearing the throwbacks

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/bleacherreport/files/2012/04/Redman_original_crop_340x234.jpeg

You know when I see those uniforms I think of a urinal at a carnival or fair, yellow p**s stains with mold growing, good night I hope they don't smell like that!

Fire Arians
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
1995: 3-4... made SuperBowl

2005: 3-2, and eventually 7-5 & needing to win last four games... won SuperBowl

I'm with you.

in 1995 we didn't lose to oakland (we actually beat them at their house). losing rod woodson was a huge blow in game 1 but we did have carnell lake to take his place. we have no such kind of player to replace troy or harrison. Also in that 3-4 start somewhere I believe Neil got banged up and mike tomczak had to start.

in 2005 maddox had to sub in the baltimore game, which resulted in a loss that we probably would have won with ben (lost in OT), the next game back we had to play the #1 seed Indy at home, and ben was rushed back into the lineup before he was ready. result = lopsided loss. Other than the jaguars, every team we lost to this season was a playoff team.

this year is much different. teams we are losing to are in the bottom 10. Unlike some losses we dropped in those above years, our starting QB is healthy. More power to you if you are optimistic but I'm willing to bet anyone money that we will not be going to the super bowl this year. I would like to be wrong but I'm just facing reality

Atlanta Dan
10-13-2012, 02:58 PM
in 1995 we didn't lose to oakland (we actually beat them at their house). losing rod woodson was a huge blow in game 1 but we did have carnell lake to take his place. we have no such kind of player to replace troy or harrison. Also in that 3-4 start somewhere I believe Neil got banged up and mike tomczak had to start.

this year is much different. teams we are losing to are in the bottom 10. More power to you if you are optimistic but I'm willing to bet anyone money that we will not be going to the super bowl this year. I would like to be wrong but I'm just facing reality

First part of 1995 season was a train wreck - Woodson tore his ACL and O'Donnell was hurt in the season opener. After losing to bad teams including the first year Jax Jags (4-12) and Bengals (7-9) in week 7, Cowher opened up the offense as Gailey started getting involved in the playcalling, even though Erhardt was still OC, and Slash Stewart appeared .

I agree I do not see any such turnaround this season - I really expected a breakout year on offense but this team is lucky to score 24 points a game, which will not cut it with a defense in rapid decline

PATS16N0
10-13-2012, 03:29 PM
I think you guys are in for a few very miserable seasons. I think your problems are just beginning and I think you're stuck with them for awhile because I think that problem is Tomlin who I very much doubt the Rooney family is going to get rid of until you crash at rock bottom and will then be faced with a need for a total rebuild. The Steelers Head Coach position has never been a revolving door. On top of that your ownership gave the league The Rooney Rule. I think Tomlin is there to stay.

The sun is about to set on Steelers nation.

In watching the game against the Titans, what I saw is the poorly managed corpse of a Bill Cowher football team. You're old and over paid.

This is the same Tomlin who failed to beat Tim Tebow in the play offs. Injured Steeler team or not, the Patriots destroyed Denver so decisively the next game I can't help but think even an injury-weakened Steeler team should have gotten a comfortable W against them.

Not rubbing salt in your wounds or anything. Just saying what I saw.

I think Tomlin is running your team into the dirt. I would be very concerned, not just for this year, but for what Tomlin might do to your football team for the remainder of the decade.

I really hope you guys can somehow get at least one win against the Ravens.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I think you guys are in for a few very miserable seasons. I think your problems are just beginning and I think you're stuck with them for awhile because I think that problem is Tomlin who I very much doubt the Rooney family is going to get rid of until you crash at rock bottom and will then be faced with a need for a total rebuild. The Steelers Head Coach position has never been a revolving door. On top of that your ownership gave the league The Rooney Rule. I think Tomlin is there to stay.

The sun is about to set on Steelers nation.

In watching the game against the Titans, what I saw is the poorly managed corpse of a Bill Cowher football team. You're old and over paid.

This is the same Tomlin who failed to beat Tim Tebow in the play offs. Injured Steeler team or not, the Patriots destroyed Denver so decisively the next game I can't help but think even an injury-weakened Steeler team should have gotten a comfortable W against them.

Not rubbing salt in your wounds or anything. Just saying what I saw.

I think Tomlin is running your team into the dirt. I would be very concerned, not just for this year, but for what Tomlin might do to your football team for the remainder of the decade.

I really hope you guys can somehow get at least one win against the Ravens.

:fingers::poop::sign07::yap::flipoff:

tanda10506
10-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Nvm

OX1947
10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
First part of 1995 season was a train wreck - Woodson tore his ACL and O'Donnell was hurt in the season opener. After losing to bad teams including the first year Jax Jags (4-12) and Bengals (7-9) in week 7, Cowher opened up the offense as Gailey started getting involved in the playcalling, even though Erhardt was still OC, and Slash Stewart appeared .

I agree I do not see any such turnaround this season - I really expected a breakout year on offense but this team is lucky to score 24 points a game, which will not cut it with a defense in rapid decline

And that is the difference between good coaches and shitty one. Tomlin is an average coach, always has been. Has no ability to adjust. All coaches have bad games, all coaches make bad decisions that cost games, but what separates the good ones from the lousy ones is adjustments.

We can sit here and say the injuries have hurt us and we are all tired of the revolving door of the offensive line, etc. However, when we look at reality, we are leading late in games despite those injuries, and we are losing almost everyone of them at the end of them. Why? Because coach is too busy high fiving the players that are murdering their team.

teegre
10-13-2012, 04:45 PM

in 2005 maddox had to sub in the baltimore game, which resulted in a loss that we probably would have won with ben (lost in OT), the next game back we had to play the #1 seed Indy at home, and ben was rushed back into the lineup before he was ready. result = lopsided loss. Other than the jaguars, every team we lost to this season was a playoff team.

this year is much different. teams we are losing to are in the bottom 10. Unlike some losses we dropped in those above years, our starting QB is healthy. More power to you if you are optimistic but I'm willing to bet anyone money that we will not be going to the super bowl this year. I would like to be wrong but I'm just facing reality

Follow me here...

The offense is just starting to click, and it's only going to get better. All that they've needed in two of these games was ONE more competition (to keep the final drive alive). A miss to Heath, in OAK, led to a punt (instead of closing out the game). Likewise, in TENN, a missed pass to Heath on the final drive, forced a 54-yard FG (as opposed to moving a little closer, and kicking a chip-shot FG). Heck, even in DENV, they were a drive away from tying the game.

It's not like the Steelers aren't in these games. And, the offense is only going to get better.

The Colon had a brutal block on the TD run. And, no penalties. Once he stops holding, he is going to move the pile forward. As Marshall Faulk once said, "Give me the line; I'll duo the rest." The Colon is going to give the line... and about a yard more.

DD will come back, and he will give the line, as well.

As will Pouncey.

Now, the next few weeks will be tough, because the OL will be injured, but once it comes together, BB is going to have something that he's never had: a pocket. Sure, Gilbert will allow the occasional defender past him, but now, BB had room to step forward,

On defense, well, this is not the 2008 defense. They ARE going to give up points (but, the offense will simply outscore opponents). And, considering the 2012 passing rules, PITT's defense is basically in the same boat that every other defense is in: up sh*t creek.

TENN's average points per game on offense: 17.
TENN's offensive points against the Steelers, minus the special teams "gimme": 16.

tanda10506
10-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Tennessee had lost 4 out of their first 5 games by 21 points or more. Pouncey going out didn't seem to change much, the line dropped of when Gilbert went out, and on top of that, it's highly unlikely that our starting O lineman will all be on the field at the same time this season. As far as the defense being up s**** creek, tell that to the Niners. We're in these games because our opponents suck: the Broncos don't look so good now, the Jets look worse then us, the Raiders (no explanation necessary), Vick can't hang on to the ball, and the Titans were summed up on the first line of this post. The schedule actually gets MUCH harder. I wish I had your optimism, but the writing is on the wall.

TRH
10-13-2012, 05:09 PM

the Browns have been moving the ball, both pass & run, like crazy. What i've seen so far from them does NOT bode well for our "defense".

teegre
10-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Tennessee had lost 4 out of their first 5 games by 21 points or more. Pouncey going out didn't seem to change much, the line dropped of when Gilbert went out, and on top of that, it's highly unlikely that our starting O lineman will all be on the field at the same time this season. As far as the defense being up s**** creek, tell that to the Niners. We're in these games because our opponents suck: the Broncos don't look so good now, the Jets look worse then us, the Raiders (no explanation necessary), Vick can't hang on to the ball, and the Titans were summed up on the first line of this post. The schedule actually gets MUCH harder. I wish I had your optimism, but the writing is on the wall.

Yes, I exhale optimism. I acknowledge that I always see the silver lining. It is who I am, and everyone knows it (My buddy texted after the game, and said, "How are you going to possibly "spin" THAT!?!").

I just don't get the same "We're effed!!!" feeling that I got in 2006 and 2009 (and in 1999). I honestly think that the deficits can be overcome.

maddog78
10-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. Bengals and Giants on the road look like sure losses unless the coaches change something up.

We need a new approach on D. Not sure what, but this isn't working. New players, new plan, something.

Otherwise, we're looking at two blowouts and 3-5 at best at the midway point.

tanda10506
10-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, this is kind of how I feel. Bengals and Giants on the road look like sure losses unless the coaches change something up.

We need a new approach on D. Not sure what, but this isn't working. New players, new plan, something.

Otherwise, we're looking at two blowouts and 3-5 at best at the midway point.

Yeah and 3-5 is not even guaranteed. I don't expect us to lose to the Chiefs at home, but I also didn't expect us to lose to the Raiders or the Titans (kinda). 3-5 is out of the playoffs most likely. In 2005 some leaders stood up and they took every game as a playoff game, never looking past anybody, and did it Steelers style. The style may be a little different this time, but it's possible. But not at 3-5, this team isn't good enough to overcome that much, and I can't see us being any better then 3-5 at that point.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
In the next five weeks, we have: Cincy, Washington, Giants, Chiefs and Ravens.

I think we can handle Cincy and K.C.(even with the injuries).

But as for the rest, if we don't step it up and throw some serious "try" into those games, we're easily looking at being 4-6 and at that point there'd be nothing left to play for except draft picks.

I'll even allow for Washington to be more show than go (despite RG3), but even if that's true, we're still looking at 5-5 unless we get our shit together and start playing like we mean it.

TRH
10-13-2012, 07:34 PM

But as for the rest, if we don't step it up and throw some serious "try" into those games, we're easily looking at being 4-6 and at that point there'd be nothing left to play for except draft picks.

I'll even allow for Washington to be more show than go (despite RG3), but even if that's true, we're still looking at 5-5 unless we get our shit together and start playing like we mean it.

I'm not sure we can handle Cincy at this point. Dalton, for the most part, has been looking very good.
Normally, i'd say K.C. is in the bank....but :sofunny:....can't say that, either. Every time we play a not-so-good team, we seem to make them look like the Patriots.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Every time we play a not-so-good team, we seem to make them look like the Patriots.

And THAT has been the problem for at least a season or more.

There was a time when I'd check to see who we were playing and if I saw a team like Tennessee or KC, I'd think "blowout" and that would be it. But lately I find myself "hoping" we can get past teams that not too long ago were regarded as little more than speed-bumps to us and there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with thinking like that about a Pittsburgh Steeler team.

There was a time when I'd be watching a game and we'd be up by three scores before halftime and I'd start flipping channels to see what else might be on instead of watching a blowout. But nowadays, even a FOUR score lead is something that I find myself "hoping" we can hang on to and that shit is just wrong!

wootawnee
10-16-2012, 01:25 AM
If we take care of the division, we will win the title.....6-0 lets start now......Bungle Bound....

maddog78
10-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Follow me here...

The offense is just starting to click, and it's only going to get better.

Actually, the offense has taken a step back since Oakland. 16 and 23 points. It needs to do better.

maddog78
10-16-2012, 08:02 AM

If our defense doesn't change, and we run Hampton, Keisel, Ike, etc out there with the same soft coverage and "contain" DL play, Dalton will eat this team up. I don't even want to think what Eli and the Giants will do.

RGIII and the Skins is our best chance at a win in the next three games, but don't be surprised if we are 2-6 at the break.

Twentyvalve
10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Was this picture taken in the bathroom of a Sheetz?

They will be wearing "Uniformz!" Sorry, I could not resist. Those things are embarrassing.

I was dead serious

steelfury02
10-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Uniformz - I love it. If we're going this route - I'll take a pass on the Steelerz Defenze