PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall critical of Pittsburgh fans in Tennessee

Hawaii 5-0
10-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Steelers notebook: Mendenhall critical of Pittsburgh fans in Tennessee

By Alan Robinson
Published: Friday, October 12, 2012

Steelers fans filled about one-third of LP Field in Tennessee, but that didn’t prevent running back Rashard Mendenhall from posting a Twitter message Friday complaining about fair-weather fans.

“Seriously, if you’re going to talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don’t call yourself a fan,” he tweeted. “A fan is a supporter ...”

Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck noticed the outpouring of Steelers fans during their 26-23 upset victory Thursday, saying, “It was pretty crazy. It must be a Steeler convention in town.”

• Tight end Weslye Saunders, who sat out the first four games after being suspended for violating the NFL drug policy, was released Friday. The Steelers chose to keep rookie David Paulson and veteran Leonard Pope rather than Saunders, who had a touchdown among his four receptions last season.

• Safeties Ryan Clark and Ryan Mundy weren’t fined for their hits Sunday against the Eagles. Clark’s late hit on tight end Brent Celek and Mundy’s helmet hit on Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin a few plays later were penalized. Mundy was fined $21,000 earlier this season for a helmet hit that left Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey with a concussion.

• Coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to allow Shaun Suisham to attempt a career-long 54-yard field goal that fell short gave the Titans the ball at their 45-yard line with 49 seconds remaining, enough time for them to run four plays in advance of Rob Bironas’ winning field goal. Tomlin defended the decision to not go for it on fourth-and-7 at the 36. “He banged the previous one (a 52-yarder) pretty good,” Tomlin said. “We decided to give him a shot.”

• Titans linebacker Tim Shaw spotted a weakness in the Steelers’ punt protection unit, then took advantage of it to block a Drew Butler punt and create a touchdown. Shaw also blocked a punt against the Steelers last season. This time, Mundy failed to block Shaw as he charged up the middle. “I was ready for the snap, went as hard as I could, and they messed up and didn’t block,” Shaw said. “We had practiced that all week and had seen it on tape.”

• The Steelers have been 2-3 only five times since 1990, most recently when they started 2-6 in 2006, a season after winning the Super Bowl. They also were 2-3 in 2003, ’02, ’00 and 1999; the only time they made the playoffs was 2002.

• Cornerback Keenan Lewis was upset about dropping an interception during Tennessee’s tying touchdown drive in the fourth quarter. “Obviously he needs to make those,” receiver Mike Wallace said. “It was at a crucial time … but that didn’t make us lose,” linebacker Larry Foote said.

• Tennessee might not have converted on that decisive final drive had tight end Jared Cook not gotten free on a 25-yard catch to the Steelers’25 on third-and-5. Cook ran down the line of scrimmage undefended following the snap. Foote called it a mental breakdown that can’t happen, while Titans coach Mike Munchak said his offense took advantage of a heavy blitz. “They blitz a lot, and when I say blitz, they are bringing in their linebackers, and sometimes you get some favorable coverage,” Munchak said. “Obviously that was a turning point to win a game.”

• The last time the Steelers lost their first three road games was 2006, when they dropped their first four and ended 2-6 on the road.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2768192-85/steelers-mundy-shaw-fans-season-titans-block-field-hit-punt#ixzz297uI0GZt

FanSince72
10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Steelers fans filled about one-third of LP Field in Tennessee, but that didn’t prevent running back Rashard Mendenhall from posting a Twitter message Friday complaining about fair-weather fans.

“Seriously, if you’re going to talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don’t call yourself a fan,” he tweeted. “A fan is a supporter ...”

A fan is a supporter?

Oh, OK.

Way to go Steelers!
I totally support your lack of effort in allowing a dogshit team to drive 80 yards to score a tying touchdown!

I was also excited to watch our team struggle to gain just three or four yards to allow our kicker to be within range for a possible winning kick!

And I'm with ya' all the way in allowing the same dogshit team who walked all over our glorious defensive unit just three minutes earlier to once again drive down the field with no apparent opposition whatsoever to score what became the winning field goal!

Way to go guys!
I'm so proud to be a "supporter"!

Is that better Rashard?

Curtain_of_Steel
10-12-2012, 09:06 PM
As usual Mendehal figures out how to put together a well thought out sentence without using pictures. Impressive Rashard! Your going to go the same path Santonio went, hopefully sooner.

When fans travel like the Steelers do, and that doesn't mean they live around the corner from the home teams stadium in another State, these people spend thousands going to games. The FANS SHOW UP EVERY SINGLE GAME. Does Mendenhal? Does Ike Taylor? Seems to me that Brown took the night off? Wallace Im still trying to figure out what he is doing on bubble screens.

Perhaps the FANS want to see ACCOUNTABILITY? DEDICATION? 110% everyplay?

I see Ben and Harrison giving it all. I think FOOTE has given his all, TImmons, Clark, Keisel(although decling) I thought he had a good game. The rest are either blending it in, or coasting through a game leaning on others.
It is sickening how Tomlin can allow, yes "allow" the great Ike Taylor to single handedly kill this defense.. He doesnt try, he doesnt run hard, and certainly can not compete with 3rd and 4th string WR's, as they all beat him into to the ground.

steelerchad
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't know what the Hell Mendy is even talking about. I was at the game last night and I bought a plane ticket, hotel room, rental car, game ticket, overpriced beer and food + 2 days of my time travelling to watch that bull shit effort. I didn't boo or complain, nor did I see or hear any other Steeler fans doing it. I saw lots of terrible towels waving and cheering. Getting pretty sick of Mendy to be honest. He's still our best option at RB, so we should use him to the wheels fall off and in a year or 2 let him go for some youth.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Mendy should not be allowed to use twitter anymore...

Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 12, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mendenhall.jpg?w=250

Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall wasn’t happy with the way some Steelers fans reacted to Thursday night’s loss to the Titans.

Mendenhall took to Twitter after the game and said that fans who are critical of their team shouldn’t be able to call themselves fans, because fans are supposed to be supportive. Mendenhall didn’t specify what he was reacting to, but he apparently wasn’t pleased that some fans had ripped him on Twitter after gaining just six yards on six carries before leaving the game with an Achilles injury.

Rashard Mendenhall

@R_Mendenhall
Seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don't call yourself a fan. A fan is a supporter...
11 Oct 12

The good news is that Mendenhall’s injury isn’t expected to be serious. The bad news is that Mendenhall isn’t going to ingratiate himself to fans by telling them they have to be supportive. The Steelers have great fans, thousands of whom made the trip to Tennessee on Thursday night to see their team. And when fans travel to see their team and the team doesn’t play well, complaining about it afterward is just what fans do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/12/rashard-mendenhall-tells-fans-they-need-to-be-supportive/

DoctorCAD
10-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Tough crap, you soft poor excuse for a running back.

steelbad@50
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Personally I think Mendenhall doesnt want to be play football for the Steelers organization, he may feel we are asking to much of him as a fan to play up to his potential, whatever the hell that might be.

Fire Haley
10-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I feel sorry for the 30,000 Steelers fans that paid money to travel to Nashville to watch that national embarassment.

Goldsteel86
10-13-2012, 09:08 AM
You know, tweets like this should be avoided just like his tweet about "Terrorism" which he quickly tried to take back. I would have one thing to say to Rashard, please consider the fans you are critical of, consider the game tickets they purchased, the money they paid to travel, the hotel rooms they paid for, the jersey's they paid for and wore to the game. The Terrible towels they were waving (which they paid for) and the beer they were drinking, so here is how I would break it down:

Airfare: $500 (At Least)
Jersey: $200 (On a Good Day or E-Bay)
Terrible Towel: $20
Hotel Room: $100 (Depending on Availability)
Food: $100 (Depending on their length of stay)
Beer: $8 (per beer)
Game Tickets: $100 (For Nose Bleed)

Now if my math and college education serves me well, that is I hope it does, that is at least $1000 for the "well traveled" fan that he chooses to knock, I can guarantee he makes at least triple to five times as much as that in the check that he gets every week. Instead of knocking the Steeler fans who traveled to the game, maybe he needs to thank them for their support, if not shut your mouth and produce, especially from a guy who only has played five quarters in a five game season thus far. I would appreciate it if he just would have said "Thank You and Have a Nice Day' but instead he didn't, really nice Rashard, maybe he needs to get paid and live like the fans who traveled and supported the Steelers! Especially in today's economy, maybe the person he should have been critical of would have been himself and his teammates!!!!

maddog78
10-13-2012, 09:53 AM
I hope they boo him the next time the Steelers play at home if the offense is announced.

Bayz101
10-13-2012, 09:59 AM
My patience for this shit head is REALLY ****ing thin.

4xSBChamps
10-13-2012, 10:28 AM

agreed

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/funny%20pictures/CaryGrant-OUT.gif

Goldsteel86
10-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Hey Bayz, do you smell Mendenhall???? I do it smells like this :poop::poop::poop:

BowCatShot
10-13-2012, 04:33 PM

In other words allow us to put a shitty product on the field but you go on paying for it regardless, otherwise you're just not...fans.

Therein is the crux of the Steeler problem.

lardlad
10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Just as the fans can say whatever they like, so can Mendy.

Is this really an issue? Pffft, who cares.

BowCatShot
10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
What me worry?

TRH
10-13-2012, 05:06 PM

me too.
I like him as a back (although i think he's over-rated here and NOT among the best backs in the league - but i CAN'T stand him as a person. He also seems very, very racially-over-sensitive.
I really don't like this guy and wouldn't be sad at all if he left this organization.

cubanstogie
10-13-2012, 06:56 PM
me too.
I like him as a back (although i think he's over-rated here and NOT among the best backs in the league - but i CAN'T stand him as a person. He also seems very, very racially-over-sensitive.
I really don't like this guy and wouldn't be sad at all if he left this organization.

reminds me of Biden, the more he speaks the farther the foot goes in his mouth. He should just shut up and play. The huffington post publishes an article and all of a sudden he thinks people give a chit what he thinks.

SteelerJay
10-14-2012, 08:49 AM
This guy's crazy...doesn't he know he has to take all the abuse that the fans can dish out and keep his mouth shut? The fans pay their money to abuse if they feel like it. The owners pay the money and don't want to hear about your torn knee or concussions that will make you suffer from dementia later on.

When will these guys learn??

SteelerJay
10-14-2012, 09:02 AM
and not to mention I think he thinks 911 was an inside job!! He and 40 million or so other fools!! maan, this dude ought to drink the kool-aid like the rest of us

SteelerJay
10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
You know, tweets like this should be avoided just like his tweet about "Terrorism" which he quickly tried to take back. I would have one thing to say to Rashard, please consider the fans you are critical of, consider the game tickets they purchased, the money they paid to travel, the hotel rooms they paid for, the jersey's they paid for and wore to the game. The Terrible towels they were waving (which they paid for) and the beer they were drinking, so here is how I would break it down:

Airfare: $500 (At Least)
Jersey: $200 (On a Good Day or E-Bay)
Terrible Towel: $20
Hotel Room: $100 (Depending on Availability)
Food: $100 (Depending on their length of stay)
Beer: $8 (per beer)
Game Tickets: $100 (For Nose Bleed)

Now if my math and college education serves me well, that is I hope it does, that is at least $1000 for the "well traveled" fan that he chooses to knock, I can guarantee he makes at least triple to five times as much as that in the check that he gets every week. Instead of knocking the Steeler fans who traveled to the game, maybe he needs to thank them for their support, if not shut your mouth and produce, especially from a guy who only has played five quarters in a five game season thus far. I would appreciate it if he just would have said "Thank You and Have a Nice Day' but instead he didn't, really nice Rashard, maybe he needs to get paid and live like the fans who traveled and supported the Steelers! Especially in today's economy, maybe the person he should have been critical of would have been himself and his teammates!!!!

Dude, team has won 6 Big Ones, tops in the modern era...so there is bound to be lean years or developmental years....you spending all that money doesn't guarantee a championship....

so you want him to humble himself in the face of rude and crude fans?

jjpro11
10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
He's a talented back and would probably put up big numbers if he played behind a line like Houston's, but I hope he is gone after this year. Hell, I wouldn't care if they cut him tomorrow. He annoys me and says too much stupid shit.

RichardCullinanForever
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm okay with a below average team going out every Sunday and playing their hearts out and maybe ending the season with 7 or 8 wins. That's fine in my book, and the Steelers have surely had those types of teams. Yet, when we have the talent we have (at least on offense - I haven't seen much of anything from our defense), and we go out and look like a bunch of underachieving bums, I think it is our duty as fans to make that fact known. Besides Ben, our offense looks like a bunch of bums. Our play calling is garbage (run on first, screen on second, incomplete on third for a three and out), the effort by our "best" wide receiver is sickening, and the offensive line has no focus and holds on virtually every play. Yeah, these guys are playing like a bunch of bums.

Our Achilles Heal is our defense, but as history has shown, an average defense (which I would say our defense is - not good, not bad, just average) can be enough to get to the big game. We just need our underachieving offense to do their job. I have no clue how a team with the talent we have a WR, TE, and QB struggles, I mean consistently and utterly struggles, to put up 30 a game. We should be putting up 30+ every single game, period.

austinfrench76
10-14-2012, 12:47 PM
He's a spoiled athlete that has always been told how great he is. His version of "support " is ALL positive ALL the time. About sums up his whole career in Pittsburgh. Gimme gimme gimme, then crying, why do you have such HIGH and unrealistic expectations for me?!?!?! Wah wah wah. Freaking cry baby. Let his weird ass walk next year.

cubanstogie
10-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm okay with a below average team going out every Sunday and playing their hearts out and maybe ending the season with 7 or 8 wins. That's fine in my book, and the Steelers have surely had those types of teams. Yet, when we have the talent we have (at least on offense - I haven't seen much of anything from our defense), and we go out and look like a bunch of underachieving bums, I think it is our duty as fans to make that fact known. Besides Ben, our offense looks like a bunch of bums. Our play calling is garbage (run on first, screen on second, incomplete on third for a three and out), the effort by our "best" wide receiver is sickening, and the offensive line has no focus and holds on virtually every play. Yeah, these guys are playing like a bunch of bums.

Our Achilles Heal is our defense, but as history has shown, an average defense (which I would say our defense is - not good, not bad, just average) can be enough to get to the big game. We just need our underachieving offense to do their job. I have no clue how a team with the talent we have a WR, TE, and QB struggles, I mean consistently and utterly struggles, to put up 30 a game. We should be putting up 30+ every single game, period.
Its still Bruce Arians fault we are not scoring 30 plus. Hell its probably BA's fault our defense sucks.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Hopefully BA gets a chance to sign him next year.

Goldsteel86
10-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Dude, team has won 6 Big Ones, tops in the modern era...so there is bound to be lean years or developmental years....you spending all that money doesn't guarantee a championship....

so you want him to humble himself in the face of rude and crude fans?

Dude are you really serious???? I'll tell you what ask that "kind" gentleman to buy you a beer at the next Steelers game you attend, then see who is rude and crude. He acts like a bum when he tweets things about the fans.

Hawaii 5-0
10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Cook: Mendenhall's lack of common sense can't cloud team's poor play

October 15, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/288/803/steelers_420.jpg

After the Steelers' 26-23 loss Thursday to the Titans, Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall tweeted, "Seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don't call yourself a fan. A fan is a supporter ... "

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey once took to Twitter to attack one of his critics. "I'm rich play for the Steelers and have a awesome life! U wish u had my life!! ... your a loser Rick! Get a life I hate people like u!" Pouncey's timing couldn't have been worse. The Steelers had just been Tebowed by the Denver Broncos in the playoffs in January. He didn't even play in the game, sitting out with an ankle injury, just as he did against the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV a year earlier.

That was bad.

A couple of years earlier, wide receiver Santonio Holmes, then with the Steelers, tweeted that one of his critics should commit suicide. "y u tryna make me look like the bad guy. u should try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself." A lot of people who knew Holmes thought he was a despicable person with the intelligence of a tree because of his many run-ins with the law. His tweet confirmed it.

That was really bad.

But so is this:

"Seriously, if you're gonna talk trash about your team and everyone on it, don't call yourself a fan. A fan is a supporter ... "

That was a tweet from Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall after the team's lousy performance in a 26-23 loss Thursday night to the Tennessee Titans. You might say he's a repeat Twitter offender. In May 2011, he infamously tweeted sympathy for Osama bin Laden after bin Laden's death. "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how many people can hate a man they never even heard speak. We've only heard one side."

I remember defending Mendenhall in that instance, admiring his willingness to put his name publicly on an unpopular opinion. Steelers president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin were a little less supportive. I believe Tomlin had a private chat with Mendenhall to discuss the insensitivity of his comments. He described Mendenhall as being young and, without actually saying it, stupid.

I'm thinking the word works again with this Mendenhall tweet.

Stupid.

Mendenhall will say he wasn't calling out all Steelers fans, just those who were critical of him, the team or both after the Tennessee game. That doesn't matter. A professional athlete never wins when he takes on the fans.
Steelers fans are more supportive of their team than any fan base in sports. Many paid big money to get to and into LP Field in Nashville. The place was nearly half-filled with Terrible Towels.

There was very little to like about the Steelers effort against the Titans. The team lost to an inferior opponent, which is becoming a sad trend this season. Fans at the game and those watching on television had every right to be disgusted. They also have every right to be critical if they feel it's warranted. That hardly makes them bad, unsupportive fans. It just makes 'em caring, passionate fans.

The No. 1 rule in any business is don't insult the customers. Legendary Steelers coach Chuck Noll always knew that. "Your critics are always right," he said. "The only way you shut them up is by winning." I can't remember one time when Noll lashed back at the media or the fans. But he certainly did a lot of winning.

Mendenhall should worry about staying healthy and running with the football, not the fans. He missed the first three games this season with a knee injury, played well against the Philadelphia Eagles, then left against the Titans after just six carries for 6 yards. The team announced he had an Achilles tendon injury. It wasn't until he tweeted after the game that we learned of his thin skin problem.

Mendenhall's health is one of many issues Tomlin must face this morning when the Steelers gather at their South Side headquarters after a long weekend. The team is in disarray with a 2-3 record, including 0-3 against AFC opponents with each loss against a team with a losing record. Making matters much worse, rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu was arrested early Sunday morning and is facing a variety of felony and misdemeanor charges after allegedly trying to flee police while driving drunk, crashing into a number of vehicles and injuring a woman. Ta'amu must have attended the Santonio Holmes School of Comportment.

Yeah, it really should be a happy day at 3400 South Water Street.

The legal system will take care of Ta'amu. But in Mendenhall's case, common sense must prevail. That's a little bit frightening, isn't it? Mendenhall doesn't appear to have any.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/rashard-mendenhalls-lack-of-common-sense-cant-cloud-teams-poor-play-657568/#ixzz29OLBo9hf

LayingTheWoodley56
10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
As usual Mendehal figures out how to put together a well thought out sentence without using pictures. Impressive Rashard! Your going to go the same path Santonio went, hopefully sooner.

When fans travel like the Steelers do, and that doesn't mean they live around the corner from the home teams stadium in another State, these people spend thousands going to games. The FANS SHOW UP EVERY SINGLE GAME. Does Mendenhal? Does Ike Taylor? Seems to me that Brown took the night off? Wallace Im still trying to figure out what he is doing on bubble screens.

Perhaps the FANS want to see ACCOUNTABILITY? DEDICATION? 110% everyplay?

I see Ben and Harrison giving it all. I think FOOTE has given his all, TImmons, Clark, Keisel(although decling) I thought he had a good game. The rest are either blending it in, or coasting through a game leaning on others.
It is sickening how Tomlin can allow, yes "allow" the great Ike Taylor to single handedly kill this defense.. He doesnt try, he doesnt run hard, and certainly can not compete with 3rd and 4th string WR's, as they all beat him into to the ground.

I definitely would not say that Ike doesn't "try." Yes he has his struggles and no, he didn't play well on Thursday but that is not due to lack of effort. If anything, he appears to be one of the more passionate and vocal players on the team. He is always in the opponents faces talking shit, pushing and jawing, not behavior that is synonymous with lack of effort. Question his play sure, but don't attribute to lack of effort or caring on his part. That is just dead wrong.