PDA

View Full Version : Another late-game collapse has exposed Steelersí many woes

Fire Haley
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Almost indefensible.

The Steelers are offering no explanation for it, only promises it wonít last all season. Still, the same breakdowns keep occurring game after game, in road stadium after road stadium, in fourth quarter after fourth quarter.

And, it can be argued, against bad opponent after bad opponent.

They canít rush the passer. They canít hold a lead. They canít stop an experienced quarterback after he gets going. They canít defend downfield. And when itís over, another apparent victory now lost, they canít find a reason for it.

There once was a time under Bill Cowher when the Steelers couldnít win the big game. Now they canít win the small one. Theyíve lost to the Raiders (1-3) and Titans (2-3) and ó this must worry them ó they have two games left against the winless Browns (0-5).

Remember, this was supposed to be the soft part of the schedule

The Steelers (2-3) dropped their fourth in a row on the road dating to their mystifying playoff loss in Denver, a 26-23 setback at Tennessee on Thursday night that seemingly defied logic given how badly the Titans were playing. At the same time, it followed the pattern of the previous two losses this season.

They owned a lead in the fourth quarter, then collapsed. In Denver, it was a 17-point collapse, in Oakland it was a 13-point collapse. In this one, the Titans ó the NFLís worst defensive team and one of its worst offensive teams ó scored the final 10 points.

Opposing quarterbacks are 35 of 59 for 370 yards, four touchdowns and one interception in the fourth quarter

Against Tennessee, defensive end Ziggy Hood was invisible (his stats line was zeros across the board), while cornerback Ike Taylor was far too visible with a 25-yard pass interference penalty that resulted in a field goal and a holding call that led to Tennesseeís tying touchdown. He also was called for interference on a Kenny Britt 37-yard completion.

Keenan Lewis couldnít hold onto a sure interception that would have ended a key Tennessee drive. Titans tight end Jared Cook went undefended on a 25-yard catch that led to the game-winning field goal by Rob Bironas.

Multiple players said afterward there is plenty of time to correct what is going wrong; Foote said, ďTen games from now, people will be laughing at this,Ē

But the more the Steelers lose, the farther they keep falling behind Baltimore (4-1) in the AFC North race, even though they have yet to play a division game.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738522-85/steelers-fourth-quarter-game-tennessee-titans-breakdowns-collapse-field-foote#axzz28pD4v0b0

--------------------

sounds to me like they've identified some of the problems right there

Bayz101
10-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Call me dumb-ass, but i'm optimistic. I have faith that we'll come together as a team over the next few weeks and steadily improve, and hopefully, we'll hit our hot-streak in December when it matters the most, just like '05. Doesn't matter if you go 6-2, as we've seen in recent years. What did it get us? We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/lebeau%20defense%202.jpg

Fire Haley
10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Call me dumb-ass.... We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.

dumbass!

Playoffs???

Playoffs???

tanda10506
10-13-2012, 05:31 PM
dumbass!

Playoffs???

Playoffs???

Very fitting....we can't even win a game.

Bayz, with as bad as the injuries are and with as poor as some of our defenders are turning out, I still agree that it's possible. There is still enough talent left on this defense to make a few stops a game, and the offense has a lot of talent. By no means will we be dominant, but with the right attitude and better coaching, we could compete. But it would take the attitude of Joey Porter and Bill Cowher, and it would take Ben getting his 4th quarter magic back. It would also take LeBeau making a serious change. That's why I'm not optimistic, all those things would be necessary and I don't see any of them happening. But you never know, if they do make the right adjustments and start playing with heart, we could see a 2005 like team. Right now I'd just like to see us beat the scrub teams.

TRH
10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Call me dumb-ass, but i'm optimistic. I have faith that we'll come together as a team over the next few weeks and steadily improve, and hopefully, we'll hit our hot-streak in December when it matters the most, just like '05. Doesn't matter if you go 6-2, as we've seen in recent years. What did it get us? We need to be firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, NOT 5 games into the season.

playoffs? lol........the only reason we won't finish dead last in the division is because the Browns started off with such a bad record (although their play doesn't indicate the record - it wouldn't surprise me to see them kick the living crap out of us).

TRH
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Almost indefensible.

Keenan Lewis couldnít hold onto a sure interception that would have ended a key Tennessee drive. Titans tight end Jared Cook went undefended on a 25-yard catch that led to the game-winning field goal by Rob Bironas.[/B]

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2738522-85/steelers-fourth-quarter-game-tennessee-titans-breakdowns-collapse-field-foote#axzz28pD4v0b0

--------------------

sounds to me like they've identified some of the problems right there

Lewis is one of the "goats" of the game. That pass was right...there...between the numbers. No excuse for not catching that ball. That may have sealed the deal.

No wonder we're not intercepting any passes. He had a dumbfounded look on his face like "whats this??" when the ball got to him. Terrible play. You have to make that catch.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Lewis is one of the "goats" of the game. That pass was right...there...between the numbers. No excuse for not catching that ball. That may have sealed the deal.

No wonder we're not intercepting any passes. He had a dumbfounded look on his face like "whats this??" when the ball got to him. Terrible play. You have to make that catch.

First of all, you're right -- he should have easily had that pick.

That siad, I think the bigger problem is that going all the way back to last season's first loss to the Ravens, we have allowed ourselves to be in too many situations where one play makes the difference in the game and that's not "Steeler Football".

Every team plays a squeaker now and then but with us it's every week. A team with the talent we have and especially with the QB we have should not be playing nail-biters week in and week out. We should be blowing out teams on a regular basis yet we're not and the reasons for that go far deeper than just a missed pick or a dropped pass.

I think the real problem is more about coaching and game prep. than anything else and if that's true then it's going to take a lot more than healthy players and good bounces to fix that.

TRH
10-13-2012, 07:27 PM

That siad, I think the bigger problem is that going all the way back to last season's first loss to the Ravens, we have allowed ourselves to be in too many situations where one play makes the difference in the game and that's not "Steeler Football".

Every team plays a squeaker now and then but with us it's every week. A team with the talent we have and especially with the QB we have should not be playing nail-biters week in and week out. We should be blowing out teams on a regular basis yet we're not and the reasons for that go far deeper than just a missed pick or a dropped pass.

I think the real problem is more about coaching and game prep. than anything else and if that's true then it's going to take a lot more than healthy players and good bounces to fix that.

well, ya got that right. nearly EVERY game....whether its against a pathetic team....or a good team....is a nailbiter....usually riding on one or two plays, no matter which team makes them.
And you're right. Thats not Steelers football. Hell, thats not any winning team's formula.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2012, 09:30 PM
miss me yet ???
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XdUZ_8oMAT4/TVAfaONvOgI/AAAAAAAAD6Q/QEI-v6ygulU/s1600/william+gay.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
miss me yet ???

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06OB7Nd2H2a10/610x.jpg

mikegrimey
10-13-2012, 10:04 PM
2-3 since switching to a "true" fullback... Interesting and BA has a 1.000 winning percentage as a head coach...

NoFieldFive
10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Lewis dropped pick reminded me of the Raiders game a few years back when they beat us on the last drive and one of our DB's missed an easy pick that would have sealed the game.

Tomlin saying they can't win in 'hostile' environments...probably another one of his catchy phrases but 1/3 of the crowd in Tenn was for the Steelers. You aren't gonna get any friendlier on the road than that ratio

teegre
10-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Lewis dropped pick reminded me of the Raiders game a few years back when they beat us on the last drive and one of our DB's missed an easy pick that would have sealed the game.

Joe Burnett could have won that game in 2009.

Alas...

Worse yet: that game would have (eventually) put PITT in the play-offs (at 10-6). Dropped INT... 9-7... and watching the play-offs at home.

Hawaii 5-0
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM

that was our former 2009 5th round draft choice Joe Burnett from Syracuse who now plays for the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL...

stb_steeler
10-14-2012, 12:14 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/xforeverx831/bettis.jpg
Oh how i wish we still had the Bus.......

Hawaii 5-0
10-14-2012, 01:13 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f139/xforeverx831/bettis.jpg
Oh how i wish we still had the Bus.......

if we still had the Bus we would have been able to pick up those extra couple of yards we needed for Suisham's FG attempt...

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 01:14 AM

any yet you were a main advocate of keeping arians. :scratchchin:

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 02:21 AM
if we still had the Bus we would have been able to pick up those extra couple of yards we needed for Suisham's FG attempt...

or ben coulda just run for those extra yards, instead of doing his houdini act and incompletion.

im not gonna blame ben though, even though he deserves a portion.

thusday nights loss was as complete of a TEAM (and coaching) loss as i can remember in a LOOOONG time.

and to think it all came down to a missed AND a made FG in the final minute. :dang:

OX1947
10-14-2012, 02:31 AM
or ben coulda just run for those extra yards, instead of doing his houdini act and incompletion.

thusday nights loss was as complete of a TEAM (and coaching) loss as i can remember in a LOOOONG time.

and to think it all came down to a missed AND a made FG in the final minute. :dang:

Yah, I heard Tomlin was high fiying all the guys on offense after that play.

MACH1
10-14-2012, 02:54 AM

That about sums it up in a nut shell.

But my question is when does Tomlim become accountable for the meltdowns, bad game decisions and general decline of the team. :stirthepot:

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Yah, I heard Tomlin was high fiying all the guys on offense after that play.

i havent watched it again (not sure that i want to) but i swore that ben was gonna run it not just for a few extra yards, but the 7 or so needed for a first down.

so many players coulda made the play that won the game-

suisham
ben
byron batch
lewis
mundy/warren

not to mention pouncey/redman/mendenhall/gilbert/foster going down, or harrison being a sitting duck for the game winning play that set up the fg.

NOT TO MENTION going into the game w/o polamalu or woodley.

i almost hate these losses the worst, as i think they are the most demoralizing for the team. it reminds me of the bears/bungles game in 2009.

losses are so much easier to stomach when you can pinpoint them on a single player or mistake, or every player got so outplayed the team never had a chance to begin with...

like the first loss to the ravens last year, this will probably be looked at as the game that cost us in the end.

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 03:42 AM
That about sums it up in a nut shell.

But my question is when does Tomlim become accountable for the meltdowns, bad game decisions and general decline of the team. :stirthepot:

that one is easy... when the rooneys fire him.

personally, if i were a coach, i would be more conservative. going for 2, challenges, specific game deciding calls, etc.

but tomlin coaches a lot like how ben plays- high risk, high reward, balls-to-the-wall. i cant blame him for that. its definitely lost games, but helped win a few as well.

FanSince72
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM
any yet you were a main advocate of keeping arians. :scratchchin:

I still like Arians.

I believe that most of our problems can be traced back to the defense not the offense.
We spend way too much time keeping teams on the field and allowing them to stay in the game and that affects the offense by forcing it to be more conservative than it should be.

And I know I sound like an apologist, but the biggest problem with the offense under Arians was injuries to the O-line. When Ben has to introduce himself to his Guards and Tackles every week, it's impossible to develop any consistency.

It's just like what's happening with Haley right now. I do believe that he has some good ideas for where the offense should be, but from the beginning of this season, he's had to deal with injuries to starters and I'm sure that has affected his decision making.

But whether it's Arians or Haley, neither offense can be truly effective if it's not on the field or if it's being forced to nurse a slim lead.

TRH
10-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Tomlin saying they can't win in 'hostile' environments...probably another one of his catchy phrases but 1/3 of the crowd in Tenn was for the Steelers. You aren't gonna get any friendlier on the road than that ratio

yeah...i love when he says that. If you think Tennessee is hostile....what do you think Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore and some others will be?

Hawaii 5-0
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
yeah...i love when he says that. If you think Tennessee is hostile....what do you think Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore and some others will be?

I agree, Tennessee is like Club Med compared to those other places...

Atlanta Dan
10-15-2012, 09:43 AM
The Woodley injury could not have come at a worse time as the Steelers were trying to work Harrison back into the lineup but Peter King has an interesting observation

When James Harrison returned to the Pittsburgh lineup eight days ago against Philadelphia, he and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau made it clear he'd have to pace himself his first couple of games back. Harrison said he'd have to come off the field in the Eagles game so he'd be fresh late in the game.

So in his first two games back after August left knee surgery, in the span of five days -- Philly, then the Thursday-nighter at Tennessee -- here's how Harrison fit into the defense.

Philadelphia game
Defensive snaps - 57
Harrison's snaps - 57

Tennessee game
Defensive snaps - 71
Harrison's snaps - 71

Maybe there's a reason the 34-year-old linebacker lost the race with the 25-year-old tight end (see Stat of the Week I) on the decisive play of the loss at Tennessee.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/15/week-6/3.html

maddog78
10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Maybe there's a reason the 34-year-old linebacker lost the race with the 25-year-old tight end (see Stat of the Week I) on the decisive play of the loss at Tennessee.[/I]

I'd like to know the reason his coach didn't know he'd lose that race.

:noidea:

tony hipchest
10-15-2012, 07:17 PM
I'd like to know the reason his coach didn't know he'd lose that race.

:noidea:ahhh yes, we would all like to know why lebeau couldnt predict the future. :dang:

instead of just implying that "his coach" is an idiot, would you like to take a stab at why the underneath crossing pattern by the TE #89 was a success?

youre not suggesting that "his coach" shouldve known that harrison couldve possibly been beat on a play in coverage, therefore chris carter shoulda been starting in his place, are you?

tell us what you know about how chris carter did in practice the week (2 days) leading up to the game, please.

can you assure us he is capable of undertaking such a task of replacing harrison for 71 snaps with so little prep time?

there were already enough miscommunications as it was, with all the replacements and substitutions... did you not see them?