PDA

View Full Version : Whoa people, don't panic yet!

BlaZeQuietly
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Reading some of these threads it sounds like everyone here has lost hope. I do agree, we don't look very good this year, even in our wins. were 2-3, we really haven't been one of those "blow out every team that's worse than us" teams the past few years but we have finished with respectable records, I could honestly see us going 7-4 the rest of the way and finishing 9-7 and MAYBE squeaking into the playoffs, then you never know what could happen. I'm not promising anything, but its still big ben, still mike wallace, still antonio brown, and a bunch of busted pop sickle sticks for an O-line, haha, sorry had to sneak that in there. Hey we could still turns things around peeps!:popcorn:

Bayz101
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Nice post. I've always thought, that with Ben at QB, we'll ALWAYS have a chance to win.

harrison'samonster
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
this team could still turn things around, but somebody's going to have light a fire under their a**. That's one thing this team doesn't have. No Bettis or Joey Porter. Nothing even close when it comes to talking up the team

BlaZeQuietly
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you and as far as all the ripping on Tomlin goes, I think his calm demeanor may be mistaken for looking dejected, I noticed this especially after the oakland loss, I would have been livid if I were him, But I didnt hear anyone complaining when they beat the cards in the superbowl a few years ago. Tomlin's a cool cat and I think if we can go out there next week and beat cinci we are going to be right back into the play off picture, if we go out and lose to cinci, then all bets are off, steelers fans across the country can then begin flopping around on the floor in a seizure, next week is the earliest MUST win I've seen pitt in in a long time, but a win against one of their division rivals is exactly what the doctor ordered, and I have a pretty good feeling about it we've always beat up on cinci.

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
preseason SB favorites packers and patriots have already lost 3 games, just like the steelers. nobody is throwing in the towel on them yet. many steelerfans have already tossed in the terrible towe and are now hoping to lose every game for a higher draft pick. these people call themselves "realists". i call them sell outs and quitters.

i will root for and expect my team to win every game until the bitter end. the sellout quitters say i wear black and gold color glasses.

when in reality, i wear a steelers jersey and wave my terrible towel proudly. **** the panicing pattys.

:tt02:

Curtain_of_Steel
10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Did we get new CB's? Because if every team can pass all the want and either get completions for PI's how does Ben put up 40pts when we want to run first with a OLINE at 40% and Legursky anchoring the center?

I hope Haley has some miracle plan, but its not running mendy, redman, rainey and batch over and over.

I can be a positive as the next guy and sure do hope we can turn it around and I'll be watching and cheering. But unless someone sits that dumbassshutdown CB we have down, its bleak.

TRH
10-14-2012, 08:52 PM
preseason SB favorites packers and patriots have already lost 3 games, just like the steelers. nobody is throwing in the towel on them yet. many steelerfans have already tossed in the terrible towe and are now hoping to lose every game for a higher draft pick. these people call themselves "realists". i call them sell outs and quitters.

i will root for and expect my team to win every game until the bitter end. the sellout quitters say i wear black and gold color glasses.

when in reality, i wear a steelers jersey and wave my terrible towel proudly. **** the panicing pattys.

well, the one thing i like is that the Steeler fans have much greater passion for their team than those teams fans.............hence the behavior

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
it wont be long before the whining wandas overtake this thread. EVERY team has injuries, and EVERY team has a player who is not a pro bowler. EVERY team gives up 80 yd td drives and EVERY team has losses (even the great 18-1 patriots the sellouts wish for).

the steelers will have to deal with it and scdrap their way into the playoffs beginning next week at cincinatti.

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 09:00 PM
well, the one thing i like is that the Steeler fans have much greater passion for their team than those teams fans.............hence the behaviorthe steelerfans supposedly have the most knowledgable fanbase as well which is suprising seeing that half the active posters on this board have already mailed it in and given up due to a 2-3 start.

john stallworth reminds us that the GREAT 1976 steelers team started 1-4 and still rebounded (only to lose to the raiders in the SB). that team didnt win the SB the following year as well. fans on this board woulda been calling for chuck nolls head.

luckilly the rooneys arent as knee jerk as their fans.

Atlanta Dan
10-14-2012, 09:10 PM
the steelerfans supposedly have the most knowledgable fanbase as well which is suprising seeing that half the active posters on this board have already mailed it in and given up due to a 2-3 start.

john stallworth reminds us that the GREAT 1976 steelers team started 1-4 and still rebounded (only to lose to the raiders in the SB). that team didnt win the SB the following year as well. fans on this board woulda been calling for chuck nolls head.

After the Steelers lost to the Browns to go 1-4 in 1976 and went to 4-4 in 1977 after losing to Denver and Baltimore there was at least as much angst as now (given that even then it was obvious those 70s teams were a once in a lifetime gathering of talent) but nowhere to be heard other than by calling Myron on WTAE 1250 AM from 7 to 8. Now everyone with an online connection has a megaphone

FWIW this season does look pretty grim compared to 1976 - I have heard that 1976 team had a better than average defense

BlaZeQuietly
10-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes a higher draft pick would be nice, it would def go to the top running back available. People have been preaching that our old defense and offensive line need fixing for YEARS now, it seems like whoever we put in at O-line snaps their leg in half, and frankly who drafts a defensive position at number one anyways? I think a trade of some sort would be better for the steelers rather than entering a sweepstakes when we have one of the best QBs in the game in the prime of his career, I say we got enough in the tank for a few more superbowls even if it does mean dropping wallace to fill in some defensive gaps somehow (i admit I dont know everything about the contracts and such) I'm sure we can figure something out with out blowing up the team that has givin us so many great memories, Ill never forget the roethlisberger to santonio holmes toe dragging catch in the SB, watching the replays of that on utube brings tears of joy to my eyes, MUST DESTROY BENGLES

tony hipchest
10-14-2012, 09:35 PM
FWIW this season does look pretty grim compared to 1976 - I have heard that 1976 team had a better than average defense :chuckle: just a bit... and agreed, it does look grim. at this point, the last 5 games of the season certainly look to have a better outlook than the first 5 (assuming we actually get back injured players as opposed to sending more to IR or to jail.

point being last years giants reminded nobody of the LT simms giants, and green bay the year before reminded nobody of brette favre and reggie white. throw in the 05 steelers for that matter as well.

im holding out for the #6 seed or better. once that is mathematically impossible i will take a look at possible draft positions, but not until then.

steelfan23
10-15-2012, 02:04 AM
these types of seasons are inevitable and necessary in order to reload for the next "run". While some are happy just sneaking into the playoffs or being slightly above average, the true knowledgeable fan knows that when your team isn't truly challenging for a SB title, it's better to play your young players to find out what you've got rather than play veterans who aren't showing much and won't be here next year. Tomlin gets a big F in this regard. Wouldn't it be nice if we knew McLendon, Silvester, Mundy, Lewis, Adams, etc can actually play before we head into free agency and the draft? But the illusion of being competitive will prevent this until there is just not enough eval games left. This season is over. We will NOT make the playoffs. Please at least give us the pleasure of watching hungry young players trying to make their names. Who knows, maybe we find out we have a starter and don't need to use a pick on that position.

steve314
10-15-2012, 03:18 AM
the steelerfans supposedly have the most knowledgable fanbase as well which is suprising seeing that half the active posters on this board have already mailed it in and given up due to a 2-3 start.

The 76 Steelers did not lose to the raiders in the SB, but in the playoffs (both AFC teams).

Good point about the 2-3 start, though. Only 3 AFC teams have fewer than 3 losses, and that could be down to two (Texans, Ravens) if the Broncos win tonight. So it's not too late IF the Steelers can start playing better.

Rick5895
10-15-2012, 04:51 AM
I posted this in another thread but it applies here aswell

"A lot of these threads are the same. We are 2-3 and we are done, seasons over, we stink and on and on and on. Yes it does look somewhat bleak. But I beleive we will over come and finish 10-6. Look at the past, 1995 we were what 4-4-1 after 9 games, we went to the super bowl and if not for Neil O'Donell we would have won that game. 2005 we barely snuck into the playoffs and won the superbowl. Our losses have come down to 3 or so plays in the losses that could 've have been wins, dropped pics, blocked punts, dropped passes etc. To those who think we stink because we didn't blowout the Raiders, then Atlanta at 6-0 must stink because they barely won, this season is very topsy turvey, look at yesterdays games, Giants blow out of the Niners, Packers
blowout of the Texans, Suckhawks beating the Cheats, Browns beating the Bungles etc
Everyone needs to relax the season is far from over after 5 games.
Saying you are a real fan because you think you are a realist and suggest this is the worst team in football DOESN"T make you a real fan, it actually makes you a fairweather fan.
I am sure there was lots of action since Thursday night in emergency rooms all over the country with so called Steeler fans breaking ankles jumping off the bandwagon."

FanSince72
10-15-2012, 09:35 AM
No panic yet.

But if we lose to Cincy next week, it's over - period!

Oddly enough, the fact that we have yet to play Baltimore actually makes it possible to still win the division if we can beat them twice and keep any other losses to a minimum.

But if we have any realistic hope of being a true playoff team, we HAVE to beat Cincy, KC, Washington and Baltimore in the coming weeks. A loss in any of those games would basically kill any chance for us being a REAL playoff team.

steelfury02
10-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I sure hope we aren't relying on 10-6 or 9-7 to get us in. Tie breakers are a real beeyotch. You think someone can't get in with a crappier or same record ahead of us? I will be thrilled if we get one of the last two seeds as this rate. Being 1-3 in the AFC being only 5 games puts a lot more pressure on this team, who hasn't proven they are ready for anything in a while.

Playoff picture as of now.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

Millers the sh!t
10-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Steelers are playing for draft picks this year. Lose to the flunky away teams, win at home to keep the fans coming..

8-8 or 7-9..... Look forward to the draft. Our players aren't panning out like they should and well be losing more vets in the next few seasons. Time to rebuild....

Darkstorm05
10-15-2012, 10:35 AM
If we can pull ourselves together I can see us going 10-6. I would expect a split with the Bengals and Ravens, and unfortunately, maybe the Browns. If we do come in 10-6, I think that will mean we need a lot of luck to get a WC spot. I don't think we go too far in the playoffs, though, if we do manage to make it in.

All that said, I think we need some big roster moves in the offseason.

WVABE
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
but but we beat the " dream team".

lets see, if we lose to the crappy teams and beat the winners,
damn this season looks grim, alot of crappy teams this year.

Fire Haley
10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
So we'll beat the Bengals and lose to the Browns.

yay!

Steelers>NFL
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
No panic yet.

But if we lose to Cincy next week, it's over - period!

Oddly enough, the fact that we have yet to play Baltimore actually makes it possible to still win the division if we can beat them twice and keep any other losses to a minimum.

But if we have any realistic hope of being a true playoff team, we HAVE to beat Cincy, KC, Washington and Baltimore in the coming weeks. A loss in any of those games would basically kill any chance for us being a REAL playoff team.

Exactly my thoughts!

zsheik22
10-15-2012, 12:12 PM
It's worrying because Ike is terrible.

I would literally have my team throw the ball every single play to Ike Taylor, until they put 7 people with him. You know you're going to get a catch, PI, or a holding call every other play.

EbonySteel86
10-15-2012, 07:42 PM
It's worrying because Ike is terrible.

I would literally have my team throw the ball every single play to Ike Taylor, until they put 7 people with him. You know you're going to get a catch, PI, or a holding call every other play.

I would even throw his way on 4th down. What's the worst that could happen? That dude is blowing it big time. Put in Van Dyke and let's just see what he cam do.

LayingTheWoodley56
10-15-2012, 08:15 PM

Couldn't agree more. Yes, we are 2-3, and an ugly 2-3 at that. But look at, for instance, the Giants last season. They looked awful at points during the season, losing to Seattle at home and being 7-7 after 14 games. Their defense looked just as bad as ours does, if not worse, and we know how our season ended up. I can't stand the pessimism from so many fans. Let's see what happens this week, and if we lose, then maybe its time to press the panic button a little at 2-4, but until then we're only a game away from being .500 and right in the thick of things in whats shaping up to be a very mediocre AFC.

lardlad
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I hate when they suck, but I still enjoy the game. Heck it's more than a game, it's food beer friends sometimes a loss. But it is a time every fall that we plan around Sunday afternoons (I hate the Thursday games). If the games are bothering you that much get more beer and better friends. :) The coaches and players will figure it out.

EbonySteel86
10-15-2012, 09:51 PM
I hate when they suck, but I still enjoy the game. Heck it's more than a game, it's food beer friends sometimes a loss. But it is a time every fall that we plan around Sunday afternoons (I hate the Thursday games). If the games are bothering you that much get more beer and better friends. :) The coaches and players will figure it out.

I can 2nd that! **** IT....GO STEELERS!!!!:tt02:

BlaZeQuietly
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a very very good feeling that we will beat the bungles this weekend, I'm not sure about this but i really can not remember the last time we lost to them, we must have swept them the last 2 years at least

Steeler-in-West
10-16-2012, 12:56 AM
No, the season is over unless the following happens

1. Running game comes back, O-line can stabilize and block and Medenhall can hit the holes with power and speed. He's the only one who can do this effectively, Redman is too slow

2. Consistent pressure on opposing QB's, need Harrison and Woodley healthy and getting to the QB consistently, we need Troy healthy and back (good luck to us on that). If only Spence were also available

3. Stuff the run like we used to, the LB's need to plug the gaps: Mr's Woodley, Timmons, and Worilds, Troy also need to step up, That Titan RB should've been held to 60 yards max

We basically need to control the line of scrimmage on both sides with Mendenhall and Troy coming back healthy,

too many injuries and age have exposed us, and Tomlin needs to make better decisions in crucial game situations - it cost us the titan game

Lady Steel
10-16-2012, 01:25 AM
It's always darkest before the dawn. That is all. :tt:

Steel_Bus_24
10-16-2012, 01:47 AM

I thought they would have suffered enough from that Denver Debacle last year.....All off season long it was joke after joke...Thought it was really going to have pissed them off.....

But alas, thus far.....it looks like guys would rather wear the sweat suits and joke on the sidelines instead of being out on the field ramming the football down the other teams throat

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Then again, maybe not:noidea:
http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/despairdemotivator.jpg

steelfury02
10-16-2012, 09:19 AM
yea, and evil happens when good men do nothing - which translates: This team loses with its current attitude of just showing up hoping tradition will win the game for them, that is including the recent coaching on the road.

I've never gotten angry about Tomlin's demeanor or the Tomlinisms, but I'd like to see a little more passion from him and this team in general. Not rah rah, just oh I don't know, like they aren't playing not to lose

FrancoLambert
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I go back and forth on this.
After losses to the Raiders and Titans "there's no way we do much this year."
Then I'm reminded that the Giants were 7-7 after 14 games; we know how that ended.
The Rats lose some big players for the year.....hope?
Only if we play much better. Can this D do enough?
Panic and hope go hand in hand in todya's NFL.

Fire Arians
10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I go back and forth on this.
After losses to the Raiders and Titans "there's no way we do much this year."
Then I'm reminded that the Giants were 7-7 after 14 games; we know how that ended.
The Rats lose some big players for the year.....hope?
Only if we play much better. Can this D do enough?
Panic and hope go hand in hand in todya's NFL.

we aren't the giants, they had a strong running game and the o-line gave eli some serious time. their D-line is capable of dominating games, ours hasn't shown the ability to do that this year (or last year). the giants can win on the road, us? well we aren't off to a good start by losing to the worst teams in the AFC on the road. what happens when we have to play a contender? or in the playoffs on the road?

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not optimistic about this year being a championship season, or even a playoff one for that matter.

Hawaii 5-0
10-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Not a lost season ... yet

posted by Dale Lolley
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2012

Fans tend to focus on only their own team - hence the term fans.

But those writing the Steelers off aren't looking around at the rest of the AFC right now.

Who's any good in the AFC? Seriously?

Houston, the supposed best team, just got spanked at home by what was a struggling Green Bay team.

Baltimore? The Ravens have been fortunate to win their last two games. I know, good teams find ways to win, but Kansas City fumbled five times last week - including once at the Baltimore 1, and Dallas really outplayed the Ravens Sunday.

The defense has given up more than 400 yards rushing the past two weeks and just lost its middle linebacker and top corner for the season.

New England? Stuck with a group of seven other AFC teams at 3-3.

Cincinnati? The Bengals have lost to the Dolphins - at home - and Browns - on the road - in the past two weeks. Nobody is going to confuse the Dolphins and Browns for good teams.

Fact is, every team in the AFC has its flaws at this point.

Do the Steelers have some as well? Certainly.

But we tend to forget that they are still learning this offense, whether they admit it or not.

And the defense isn't nearly as good as it has been in recent years. But it might be good enough if the offense stops kicking field goals and starts scoring more touchdowns.

Look at it this way, if the Steelers score one more touchdown per game, rather than kick a field goal, they are 4-1 right now rather than 2-3.

That's a play here or there. It's that close.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

BlaZeQuietly
10-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Ravens are going to lose. Big game tonight with cinci, if we win, everyone will have a way more positive attitude. I have a prediction (and for the record I have won big money betting on football games i am usually right about this thing not to toot my own horn) pittsburgh will not only win but will destroy the bengles (38- 17) or something close to it, and we will all be saying the afc north winners will be in our own hands because we play the ravens twice and bengles once more, we are still very much in it after we bust up the bungholes tonight, thank you

SoCalFan
10-21-2012, 05:32 PM
All 3 losses we were leading in the 4th...WTF!?!? Lets start to close games and we will be fine! Keep Troy OUT and if we can sneak in as a wildcard bring him back!

rgj
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Not hitting the panic button.....more of a sense of resignation. This Steeler team is just not good. I have no confidence in the defense to stop Dalton and the Bengals. This week's game will probably be close for 3 quarters, then the Bengals will exploit the Steeler inadequacies on defense in the 4th, just as every other team has.

Bengals 34
Steelers 17

FrancoLambert
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
A win tonight definitely brings hope.
Division win on the road, a needed boost of confidence.
Talk is cheap, let's see it on the field.
Based on our road performance this year and the play of our D, I'm not optimistic.

BlaZeQuietly
10-21-2012, 06:03 PM
based on the history of steelers vs bengles i am optimistic.

2006 Cincinnati W, 17-23 (OT)
2007 Cincinnati W, 13-24
Pittsburgh W, 10-24
2008 Cincinnati W, 10-38
Pittsburgh W 10-27
2009 Cincinnati L, 23-20
Pittsburgh L, 18-12
2010 Cincinnati W, 21-27
Pittsburgh W, 7-23
2011 Cincinnati W, 17-24
Pittsburgh W, 7-35

thats 4 in a row and 9 of 11
i know the bengles are better than bengles of past and steelers are questionable this year be c'mon,