PDA

View Full Version : Some good news: Decastro Running Again

Fire Arians
10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/10/steelers-rookie-g-david-decastro-back-running-again/

During his Tuesday press conference <strong>Pittsburgh Steelers</strong> head coach <strong>Mike Tomlin</strong> was asked to give a status update on rookie guard <strong>David DeCastro</strong>, who suffered a serious right knee injury in the third preseason game against the <strong>Buffalo Bills</strong>.
<p>"He ran yesterday in a straight line as part of rehabilitation and I thought it was positive," said Tomlin. "I think how he responds to those workouts of course is going to be a critical component, but there is a certain period of time that he has to go through before he is even eligible to come back, so we haven't spent a lot of time discussing his status or his progress. I just happened to look over there and had seen him running."
<p>DeCastro was placed on the Steelers injured reserve list prior to the start of the season and was given the new 8 week return designation. That designation stipulates that the Stanford product must miss at least 8 weeks before he is eligible to return to the 53 man roster. Once DeCastro does begin practicing with the team the Steelers will have a 21 day window in which they must decide to activate him back to the 53 man roster or place him on the season enduing injury reserve list.
<p>The last report a few weeks ago was that DeCastro was able to ride a stationary bike, so the news on Tuesday that he has started running on a straight line is encouraging to say the least.

teegre
10-16-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/10/steelers-rookie-g-david-decastro-back-running-again/

During his Tuesday press conference <strong>Pittsburgh Steelers</strong> head coach <strong>Mike Tomlin</strong> was asked to give a status update on rookie guard <strong>David DeCastro</strong>, who suffered a serious right knee injury in the third preseason game against the <strong>Buffalo Bills</strong>.
<p>"He ran yesterday in a straight line as part of rehabilitation and I thought it was positive," said Tomlin. "I think how he responds to those workouts of course is going to be a critical component, but there is a certain period of time that he has to go through before he is even eligible to come back, so we haven't spent a lot of time discussing his status or his progress. I just happened to look over there and had seen him running."
<p>DeCastro was placed on the Steelers injured reserve list prior to the start of the season and was given the new 8 week return designation. That designation stipulates that the Stanford product must miss at least 8 weeks before he is eligible to return to the 53 man roster. Once DeCastro does begin practicing with the team the Steelers will have a 21 day window in which they must decide to activate him back to the 53 man roster or place him on the season enduing injury reserve list.
<p>The last report a few weeks ago was that DeCastro was able to ride a stationary bike, so the news on Tuesday that he has started running on a straight line is encouraging to say the least.

At the end of that run (on Tuesday), Gilbert went to high-five DD, only to blow out both players rotator cuffs.

steelfury02
10-16-2012, 03:44 PM
hahahahahahah

Hawaii 5-0
10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
At the end of that run (on Tuesday), Gilbert went to high-five DD, only to blow out both players rotator cuffs.

:chuckle:

surcalifero
10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I really hope DD doesn't becomes like Pouncey with all them injuries.

Lady Steel
10-16-2012, 09:28 PM

This is exciting news! I'm so optimistic about DeCastro. He's working hard for a speedy and healthy recovery and isn't shying away from the pain he must be going through in the process. That's something I admire and can totally get on board with.

dreegking
10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
I've liked the oline efforts under the circumstances. Yes Adams, needs a spare to help him out, but Gilbert doesn't. Colon is getting better inside. Legursky is a very solid inside replacement. And Starks is probably the best low paid vet in the league. Pass protecting has been good to very good. If and DeCastro gets back and replaces Foster, the run game becomes really good. Hopefully just in time for a 5 or 6 game win streak to end the season and reach the playoffs, which is what it is gonna take.

Steeldude
10-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I doubt DeCastro plays this year.

Hawaii 5-0
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I doubt DeCastro plays this year.

I think he does, from everything I've read his recovery is well on track and he can start practicing after Week 8.

Fire Arians
10-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I think he does, from everything I've read his recovery is well on track and he can start practicing after Week 8.

http://egotistik.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Iverson.jpg

pete74
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
i bet we see him this season.

SquirrelHillSteelNut
10-28-2012, 06:15 AM
this is good news, but it will be late in the season if we see him at all. that injury was nasty.

dreegking
10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
If he gets the last four games we're laughing. Just enough time. Takes the weakest link to a stronger level on the oline.

I cant wait. This is the guy I wanted in the draft but thought no way. Ya, I wasn't alone on that. He fell to us. He's a stud that will help us run and pass all the way to the Super Bowl.

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Steelers brass faces a tough decision on activating rookie David DeCastro

By Neal Coolong on Oct 30
Karl Walter

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2300329/gyi0062867262.0_standard_500.0.jpg

t's not as simple as it appears. Assuming DeCastro is healthy for full practice, activating him likely means tweaking the chemistry of an offensive line playing at a high level for the first time in a while. Keeping him on injured reserve for the rest of the year isn't out of play.

Talk about weirdness.

Roughly six months ago, SteelerNation was abuzz with probably the most popular draft pick in the last four decades when David DeCastro surprisingly fell to the Steelers in the later third of the first round.

It was referred to as a late Christmas present.

As it turns out, it seems like it will be more of a really early Christmas present; one to be opened close to a year after it was given. DeCastro is eligible to begin practice with the team, and the Steelers have three weeks from the day of his first practice to either be activated to the roster or placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.

Maybe we put our pony on layaway, Mr. Homer.

No one would have guessed, particularly after a two preseason games in which the Steelers struggled mightily to run the ball, the team would be best served by using those days wisely, fully considering all options, up to and including placing the prized rookie on the IR.

It's a good problem to have; activate DeCastro, and lose some depth at another position. Activate him and gain potentially the best lineman of the group.

Based on the massive increase of the Steelers' production on the ground, and the fact he would get no more than three days of practice to prepare him for his first regular season game, DeCastro won't be activated this week. The Steelers host Kansas City on Monday Night in Week 10, then a huge showdown with Baltimore in Pittsburgh. Road trips to Cleveland and Baltimore follow in Week 12 and 13, then San Diego at home in Week 14.

Frankly, all are winnable games if Pittsburgh can control the game on the ground. Two wins in three weeks over Baltimore and wins over the struggling Chargers and Chiefs, along with what looks to be a hard-fought battle with the Browns (would you have guessed Brandon Weeden, and not either Messiah Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III would lead rookies in passing touchdowns at the midway point of the season?) would all but give the Steelers the AFC North crown. That's reality.

Knowing that reality, ignoring the obvious improvement the team - especially its offensive line - has seen in winning three of its last four games, would be detrimental. Barring injury, how do the Steelers, in good conscious, plan to start DeCastro over Ramon Foster, who's game has improved quite a bit the last two weeks?

The answer is, "They don't."

Maybe the better question is whether DeCastro is simply the odd man out now.

Assuming the Steelers keep their five starters intact - LT Max Starks, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG Foster, RT Mike Adams - with back-ups Doug Legursky (right and left guard and center) and Marcus Gilbert (either tackle position), it becomes a decision over whether the Steelers want to continue activating seven offensive linemen - a risky strategy but one they've been utilizing all season - or cut Beachum altogether, expose him to waivers while hoping to sign him to the practice squad while he could be signed to another team's active roster at any time.

Is it worth exposing to waivers for the sake of keeping a back-up guard, when you can keep both of them simply by placing DeCastro on the IR?

I will concede it's certainly possible Beachum or any number of Steelers younger players suffers a mysterious injury in practice and is placed on the IR (Internal Redshirt) himself.

It's an interesting question, and one, fortunately, the Steelers don't have to answer for three weeks.

On the flip side, doing the seemingly ridiculous thing in putting DeCastro on ice for the remainder of the year keeps the continuity of the group intact. As the saying goes, "don't fix what ain't broke." While there's little doubt who will have a better career overall, DeCastro over Foster, the chemistry and familiarity of an offensive line is critical. Or, they involve the neighbors in their domestic dispute, and cut a player from another position and keep nine offensive linemen. Certainly a plausible proposition, but one that carries with it the same risk when one doesn't know when or where the injury bug will strike.

It struck DeCastro, and every one of these arguments are created under the assumption DeCastro is 100 percent ready - or will be at the end of his 21-day grace period.

It's a near certainty, at the very least, the Steelers will wait until the very end of the three-week period to make any kind of decision. Whether DeCastro's clock begins ticking by practicing Wednesday (not a certainty) will help steer some of these questions toward resolution. Sometimes teams have to risk collapse in order to be great, and this carries with it the weight of being the biggest decision of the season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/30/3575320/steelers-roster-david-decastro-injured-reserve-IR-rules

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
i wouldn't start DD over foster right now because the line seems to be gelling. BUT i would activate him if he can play. offensive line injuries have been all too normal over the past few years and at least having him as a backup to colon/foster would be much better than legursky at guard

Blackout
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I have a question regarding the injury.

When he fully recovers, will he be back to 100% as he was before the injury or no? I know it wasn't an ACL, but I'm just curious.

dreegking
10-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Steelers brass faces a tough decision on activating rookie David DeCastro

By Neal Coolong on Oct 30
Karl Walter

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2300329/gyi0062867262.0_standard_500.0.jpg

t's not as simple as it appears. Assuming DeCastro is healthy for full practice, activating him likely means tweaking the chemistry of an offensive line playing at a high level for the first time in a while. Keeping him on injured reserve for the rest of the year isn't out of play.

Talk about weirdness.

Roughly six months ago, SteelerNation was abuzz with probably the most popular draft pick in the last four decades when David DeCastro surprisingly fell to the Steelers in the later third of the first round.

It was referred to as a late Christmas present.

As it turns out, it seems like it will be more of a really early Christmas present; one to be opened close to a year after it was given. DeCastro is eligible to begin practice with the team, and the Steelers have three weeks from the day of his first practice to either be activated to the roster or placed on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.

Maybe we put our pony on layaway, Mr. Homer.

No one would have guessed, particularly after a two preseason games in which the Steelers struggled mightily to run the ball, the team would be best served by using those days wisely, fully considering all options, up to and including placing the prized rookie on the IR.

It's a good problem to have; activate DeCastro, and lose some depth at another position. Activate him and gain potentially the best lineman of the group.

Based on the massive increase of the Steelers' production on the ground, and the fact he would get no more than three days of practice to prepare him for his first regular season game, DeCastro won't be activated this week. The Steelers host Kansas City on Monday Night in Week 10, then a huge showdown with Baltimore in Pittsburgh. Road trips to Cleveland and Baltimore follow in Week 12 and 13, then San Diego at home in Week 14.

Frankly, all are winnable games if Pittsburgh can control the game on the ground. Two wins in three weeks over Baltimore and wins over the struggling Chargers and Chiefs, along with what looks to be a hard-fought battle with the Browns (would you have guessed Brandon Weeden, and not either Messiah Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III would lead rookies in passing touchdowns at the midway point of the season?) would all but give the Steelers the AFC North crown. That's reality.

Knowing that reality, ignoring the obvious improvement the team - especially its offensive line - has seen in winning three of its last four games, would be detrimental. Barring injury, how do the Steelers, in good conscious, plan to start DeCastro over Ramon Foster, who's game has improved quite a bit the last two weeks?

The answer is, "They don't."

Maybe the better question is whether DeCastro is simply the odd man out now.

Assuming the Steelers keep their five starters intact - LT Max Starks, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG Foster, RT Mike Adams - with back-ups Doug Legursky (right and left guard and center) and Marcus Gilbert (either tackle position), it becomes a decision over whether the Steelers want to continue activating seven offensive linemen - a risky strategy but one they've been utilizing all season - or cut Beachum altogether, expose him to waivers while hoping to sign him to the practice squad while he could be signed to another team's active roster at any time.

Is it worth exposing to waivers for the sake of keeping a back-up guard, when you can keep both of them simply by placing DeCastro on the IR?

I will concede it's certainly possible Beachum or any number of Steelers younger players suffers a mysterious injury in practice and is placed on the IR (Internal Redshirt) himself.

It's an interesting question, and one, fortunately, the Steelers don't have to answer for three weeks.

On the flip side, doing the seemingly ridiculous thing in putting DeCastro on ice for the remainder of the year keeps the continuity of the group intact. As the saying goes, "don't fix what ain't broke." While there's little doubt who will have a better career overall, DeCastro over Foster, the chemistry and familiarity of an offensive line is critical. Or, they involve the neighbors in their domestic dispute, and cut a player from another position and keep nine offensive linemen. Certainly a plausible proposition, but one that carries with it the same risk when one doesn't know when or where the injury bug will strike.

It struck DeCastro, and every one of these arguments are created under the assumption DeCastro is 100 percent ready - or will be at the end of his 21-day grace period.

It's a near certainty, at the very least, the Steelers will wait until the very end of the three-week period to make any kind of decision. Whether DeCastro's clock begins ticking by practicing Wednesday (not a certainty) will help steer some of these questions toward resolution. Sometimes teams have to risk collapse in order to be great, and this carries with it the weight of being the biggest decision of the season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/30/3575320/steelers-roster-david-decastro-injured-reserve-IR-rules

That's a lot of verbage for the obvious answer. Of course you activate him if he proves healthy and capable after 3 weeks. We are talking about a massive difference maker and eventual all star. Hey, why not let Pouncy sit, we had a big run game with Legursky at Centre? Why mess with chemistry? Wasn't it a different 5 both of the last two weeks? Wasnt there an injury or two mid game a couple weeks ago? Lame article. Bad attempt at trying to find a story.

Hawaii 5-0
10-31-2012, 01:56 AM
Hey, why not let Pouncy sit, we had a big run game with Legursky at Centre?

good idea Water Boy, let's sit our All-Pro center.

sure am glad you're not running this team...

steelbelieve
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
i wouldn't start DD over foster right now because the line seems to be gelling. BUT i would activate him if he can play. offensive line injuries have been all too normal over the past few years and at least having him as a backup to colon/foster would be much better than legursky at guard

Totally agree. I really don't see the point of this article. If Decastro's healthy, you activate him for both depth and to keep pushing Foster along. Who cares whether they expose Beachum, if that's even an issue.

Darkstorm05
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
good idea Water Boy, let's sit our All-Pro center.

sure am glad you're not running this team...

I think you missed the [SARCASM] tags he had there.

SteelersCanada
10-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Totally agree. I really don't see the point of this article. If Decastro's healthy, you activate him for both depth and to keep pushing Foster along. Who cares whether they expose Beachum, if that's even an issue.

Beachum isn't an issue. I think that DeCastro comes in for Foster, though. Does anyone remember why we were all excited when he dropped to us at 24? This kid is the best OLine prospect since, well, Pouncey. If he's healthy and ready to go, why wouldn't he start? I understand chemistry, but he's an instantaneous upgrade over Foster with his ability to pull and run block.

I think he'll be here from weeks 12 to Super Bowl.

Hawaii 5-0
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I think you missed the [SARCASM] tags he had there.

I don't see any [SARCASM] tags that he had there, all I see is the [STUPID] tag. :doh:

Hawaii 5-0
11-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Update on DeCastro

November 2nd, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

If the perfect scenario would’ve played out, Steelers rookie first-round pick David DeCastro would’ve been eligible to be added to the 53-man roster Friday and play against the N.Y. Giants Sunday.

The perfect scenario didn’t happen, and actually, don’t expect to see DeCastro on the football field any time soon.

DeCastro reportedly suffered a torn medial collateral ligament, a dislocated kneecap and damage to his patellar tendon when his right leg buckled underneath him during the second series of the second preseason game against Buffalo.

DeCastro had surgery Aug. 29 and placed on injured reserve with the designation to return nine days later. Under the guidelines of the new injured reserve rule, DeCastro was eligible to start practicing with the team two weeks ago.

The Steelers were optimistic that DeCastro could return this year in August. That optimism has tempered.

“It is all on his timetable,” offensive line coach Sean Kugler told me last week. “He had a pretty significant knee injury …”

Kugler said in August that he expected DeCastro back at some point during the season. He didn’t sound as confident last week.

“If he has a chance to come back and play, he better be mentally prepared,” Kugler said.

DeCastro has been working out in the pool and riding the stationary bike to strengthen his knee, but hasn’t attempted any football-related activities yet.

And with the season already half over and Ramon Foster playing so well at right guard, the urgency for DeCastro’s return has waned.

However, Kugler has done a good job of keeping DeCastro involved in the day-to-day process of playing in the NFL.

“He is charting on the sidelines so that keeps him involved with every call,” Kugler said. “He is hearing every call and every personnel grouping from the sidelines. He is in every meeting. He is taking tests. He is doing everything that a player would do other than play in the game. It keeps him in it mentally and keeps him part of the group because sometimes when you are hurt, sometimes you feel like you are not part of anything. We want to make him feel important.”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/02/update-on-decastro/

austinfrench76
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Probably don't need him this year, want him but don;t need him. Still hope he is 100% by next year. That's all I want for Christmas!

FrancoLambert
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
He's too valuable long term to risk ANY possibility of a setback.
Foster's doing the job, and the OL seems to be getting it together with some consistency.
Bite the bullet and go on as is.
Want him a full 100% for next year and beyond.

Millers the sh!t
11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Probably don't need him this year, want him but don;t need him. Still hope he is 100% by next year. That's all I want for Christmas!

Agree, he won't be playing for a few weeks at least, then it'll take another 6 weeks just to gel. Let him recover this season, then have at it next year.

BKAnthem
11-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Foster's doing the job, and the OL seems to be getting it together with some consistency.

THIS

TRH
11-04-2012, 07:38 AM

i agree. I'd hate to see him come back and re-aggravate the injury and make it even worse than before, which is absolutely possible.
Let him recover, train, strengthen, and rehabilitate - and we'll see him next year.