PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Vikings set for London in '13

Hawaii 5-0
10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Steelers-Vikings set for London in '13

Posted 10/16/12
Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Pleased with the growing fan support of football in the United Kingdom, the NFL will stage two regular season games there in 2013, with the first of those being the Minnesota Vikings hosting the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Wembley Stadium.

This game will be in addition to the previously announced matchup of the Jacksonville Jaguars hosting the San Francisco 49ers. That also will be played at Wembley Stadium, on Sunday, Oct. 27.

“We are excited for the opportunity to play in London in 2013 against the Minnesota Vikings,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “It will be an excellent chance to grow the game of football internationally, and we are thrilled that our players and Steelers fans around the world will be able to enjoy the atmosphere. We look forward to playing in historic Wembley Stadium in what we are sure will be an entertaining game for NFL fans everywhere.”

The Steelers-Vikings game will kick off at 1 p.m. EDT, and because it is a Vikings home game, it does not affect the Steelers 2013 home schedule at Heinz Field in any way. The Steelers still will play two preseason games and eight regular season games at Heinz Field next year.

“Since we started playing regular-season games in London five years ago, we have heard very clearly from our UK fans – they want more football,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who announced the schedule of 2013 games in London for at the NFL Fall Meeting in Chicago. “We are excited to play two games in London and take this next step in the growth of our game. We believe that more football will lead to more fans.”

While the Vikings previously played at Wembley during the 1983 preseason, the Steelers’ trip to London will be the franchise’s first, but that should not be taken to mean the franchise is a neophyte when it comes to playing outside the United States.

In fact, the Steelers’ trip to London will be their eighth time doing just that, even though it deserves mention that this will be their first regular season game played abroad.

The Steelers have played preseason games in Montreal twice – against the New York Giants in 1969 and the New England Patriots in 1990; they opened the 1993 preseason in Barcelona, Spain, against the San Francisco 49ers; as the defending AFC Champions, they opened the 1996 preseason in Tokyo against the San Diego Chargers; then in 1997 the Steelers and the Chicago Bears opened the 1997 preseason in Dublin where they staged the first American football game ever played in Ireland’s historic Croke Park; and in 2008 the Steelers faced the Buffalo Bills in Toronto.

And in maybe the most interesting of these games, the Steelers first traveled to Toronto in 1960 for a game against the Argonauts of the Canadian Football League, and this one was played under CFL rules, including each team fielding 12 players on offense and defense.

The Steelers are 2-0 in Montreal, with the wins over the Giants and Patriots, and they defeated the Bears in Dublin. They lost to the 49ers in Barcelona and to the Chargers in Tokyo. The team split its two games in Toronto by losing to the Bills and beating the CFL’s Argonauts.

According to the NFL, the international series of regular-season games has contributed to a 32 percent increase in fan interest in the NFL in the UK. The league also reports that television ratings also have shown substantial growth – with Sunday viewership of NFL games up 154 percent and the Super Bowl audience having increased 74 percent since 2006.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Vikings-set-for-London-in-13/b3ba5bac-1758-4a6e-bf11-11d5410b91a1

tony hipchest
10-16-2012, 05:47 PM
@MarkKaboly_Trib - "Steelers to play in London in 2013 on Sept. 29. Regular season game, and no, Steelers won't lose a home game"

musta been decided at the owners meetings...

LayingTheWoodley56
10-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I like it, should be exciting and much better than watching us play them in the ugly ass (not to mention loud as hell) Metrodome. I always hate watching games in domes, football was meant to be played outdoors. Plus, this game will be a neutral site, essentially home game for us given our large international following, so we will minus one game we're we will have an away disadvantage.

I hope would be singing a different tune if we were losing a home game for this, make no mistake.

Fire Haley
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, if we have any London Steelers fans listening let me just say I will buy the tickets if you let me crash at your pad.

You have beer, right?

Stu Pidasso
10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I will be there. Already told the Wife. Anyone know where we can get tickets when they become available? Ticketmaster?

Fire Haley
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
If anyone has any free tickets, I'll take those too

hey, it never hurts to ask

Darkstorm05
10-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I never got the point of doing these games. If they want to expand the league, shouldn't they be looking to Canada first? And if there's not going to be a team in the EU in the immediate future(3-5 years, say), then why play there? Most teams sell out their tickets just fine right here at home. In fact, if they absolutely have to do this crap, they should force two teams that are suffering blackouts to be sent. If they can't fill their home stadium, let them get shipped to London, IMO.

Atlanta Dan
10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Sounds like Goodell ignored Dan Rooney again

Jason La CanforaVerified ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Rooneys note they had a particular family member pushing for a game in Ireland. Commish believes build London fanbase better w/2 games there

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/258321823576494080

Fire Haley
10-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I could totally come stay in a castle in Ireland for a game.

steelfury02
10-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Dublin would be a hell of a place for an NFL game - great,great college crowd/bar scene

steelersforever58
10-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I for one am very surprised at how many seem to be fine with this. The whole thing disgusts me. I don't think that the league should be anywhere but the U.S.. If the league were to expand outside the U.S., as irrational as it may be, that might be it for me and the NFL.

For those of you who aren't bothered by this. I am curious why.

Darkstorm05
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Dublin would be a hell of a place for an NFL game - great,great college crowd/bar scene

You know where else is a hell of a place for a game? Pittsburgh. I hear the Steelers sell out Heinz field, and the fans there are actually invested in their home town team. Another note, that maybe those of you not living in Pittsburgh proper can understand, but Allegheny County is kicking our asses on taxes, and a big chunk of that paid for that field. I'd rather see my tax money get put to use, since the league and the Steelers pressured the government here to rape us on the price tag, instead of adding a game in a EU city that has nothing to do with the franchise.

3rdandlong
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't min playing in London as long as it doesn't count as a home game, and it doesn't. But I still want to keep football as an American sport. Don't want to internationalize it

Rotorhead
10-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Look, the only reason for this is $, the US fanbase is about saturated, the EU games will generate more interest, sales and big TV contracts. It happens with all business, once you hit the saturation point, you open up new markets to increase revenue.

Fire Haley
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
don't teams usually get a home game before and a bye week after these games in London?

So if the game is on 29th September. That means the Steelers get yet another early bye - week 5.

maddog78
10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Hate it. We got lucky and didn't lose a home game. I'd be pissed if I were a Vikings fan. They'll do this to us sooner or later, too.

Not to mention all the people who get 9 paychecks from working at the stadium on game day during the year will lose one.

steelfury02
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I grew up, went to school, and worked in and around Clarion, Mercer, Lawrence, Butler, Indiana, Cambria, and Allegheny counties and have spent plenty of my childhood and adult life throwing money at the Steelers and Three Rivers and then Heinz field - made a career choice so had to leave PA and am still there for the fall and holidays, sometimes in the summer, visiting family who lives around the city and the surrounding region - so yea, I hear what you are saying - but it isn't going to change the bottom line -

just from my experiences, I would rather see a game in Dublin than London - but, bottom line identifies London as the more lucrative venue. It would be like the NFL placing a game in Reno over Vegas in terms of revenue potential. I don't want the game to go international either, but that doesn't mean we have the power to stop it. There is only one way to get anything across to the league - and that is to stop watching and going to games, stop buying merchandise - and that ain't happenin'

Personally, I think the Steelers and the league would make more $$$ playing an Interstate matchup versus the Eagles in Beaver Stadium, as would other teams across the country playing at more neutral, college sites once a season

jjpro11
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
LOL we play like shit almost every time we head out west... Can't wait to see how we fare overseas.

steeltheone
10-17-2012, 01:03 PM
I grew up, went to school, and worked in and around Clarion, Mercer, Lawrence, Butler, Indiana, Cambria, and Allegheny counties and have spent plenty of my childhood and adult life throwing money at the Steelers and Three Rivers and then Heinz field - made a career choice so had to leave PA and am still there for the fall and holidays, sometimes in the summer, visiting family who lives around the city and the surrounding region - so yea, I hear what you are saying - but it isn't going to change the bottom line -

just from my experiences, I would rather see a game in Dublin than London - but, bottom line identifies London as the more lucrative venue. It would be like the NFL placing a game in Reno over Vegas in terms of revenue potential. I don't want the game to go international either, but that doesn't mean we have the power to stop it. There is only one way to get anything across to the league - and that is to stop watching and going to games, stop buying merchandise - and that ain't happenin'

Personally, I think the Steelers and the league would make more $$$ playing an Interstate matchup versus the Eagles in Beaver Stadium, as would other teams across the country playing at more neutral, college sites once a seasonNo thanks on a game a Ped State

steelfury02
10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
did you think that up all on your own?

Grav
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Im from Wales which is the country next to England so I for one can't wait! so excited!

Boyzoyk
10-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Hi guys and gals.
being a Brit I am over the moon that my Steelers are coming to Wemberlee.
I've been to all the International games at Wembley so far, and even though two games will be a stretch financially I think I'll probably make both games next year too.
Some advice...... Britain is an expensive place and London is even more so. Start saving now. London hotels near Wembley increase their prices when there's an event there.
If you just want to see London I would also suggest you don't hire a car. Public transport is a lot cheaper and the tube (subway) will take you to all the places of interest.
I'm going to the Pats v Rams game next weekend so I can find out tube ticket prices, beer prices etc. And I'll post some photo's of this years event after I come back.
I'm going to start a " who's coming to London " thread where you can ask questions about London, Wembley etc. and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Here's a link to NFLUK where you can find details, and yes, ticketmaster is the place to get tickets. http://www.nfluk.com/tickets-events/nfl-wembley
A word of caution though...... you can only choose a price bracket for tickets, you can't choose particular seats.... you have to accept where they put you.
Apart from that it's well worth coming. You'll see fans of all 32 nfl teams milling around together, and some college shirts too. Hope you guys make the right decision and make the effort to visit us over here.
Keep the faith.

steelersforever58
10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Maybe I am just naive, old fashioned or something else. But I would rather have every car being driven in the U.S. be a Chevy, Ford, Dodge etc.. I would like every shirt say made in America. I would like to have the steel mills in Clairton still be booming like the 60's and 70's, but I know that won't happen, can't we at least keep the NFL in the U.S..

4xSBChamps
10-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I never got the point of doing these games. If they want to expand the league, shouldn't they be looking to Canada first? And if there's not going to be a team in the EU in the immediate future(3-5 years, say), then why play there?

Ll3uipTO-4A

Hawaii 5-0
10-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Go Steelers, Go Steelers, Go Steelers Go!!! :tt02:

http://img.news.sina.com/sports/p/2012/0801/U113P5029T2D492265F31DT20120802145253.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
NFL in London: A British fan's perspective

By Henry Hodgson NFL.com
Published: Oct. 27, 2012

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2012/10/27/0ap1000000085960.jpg

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford participates in an NFL Play 60 event near London this week.

LONDON -- The NFL returns to play its sixth International Series game in London on Sunday, with the Rams and Patriots battling it out on the hallowed turf of Wembley Stadium, and it's at about this time each year that fans back in the "home" of football start to wring their hands over whether teams should travel internationally to play in front of a non-American audience.

Having tracked the responses from U.S.-based fans year after year in comments on NFL.com and fan forums, the vitriol normally goes something like this:

"They've got their football, why do they need ours?"

"Over there they call it American Football, so why doesn't it stay in America?"

"People there don't understand the game, so why should the NFL give them one? It's a waste."

"They had NFL Europe and it failed, they don't deserve a second chance."

"They've got rugby, we've got football. Keep it that way."

Truth is, though, that football is followed just as passionately in the UK as it is in its homeland. While there aren't as many fans in the UK and around the rest of the globe, they are just as passionate and knowledgeable about the sport as fans that show up week after week to support their favorite teams across the U.S.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2012/10/25/0ap1000000085437.jpg

Consider the sacrifices that fans overseas have to make to follow the game. On Sundays in the UK, the "early" NFL games kick off at 6pm, with "Sunday Night Football" at the ungodly hour of 1:30 a.m.

Tens of thousands of fans stay up to watch that game, and then do it all over again on Monday night, just to be able to follow their favorite sport. Many ensure that they can track their favorite NFL teams through the season by buying the NFL's excellent NFL Game Pass product, which allows them to live stream games on their laptops or tablets, but at $100 for the season, you certainly would need to be a fan to buy it.

Other fans will spend thousands to travel over once a year to see their favorite team in action in its home city, buying up as much merchandise as they can fit into their suitcases on the journey home so that they can own the authentic product of the NFL.

In terms of the depth of knowledge about the sport, fans overseas will consume as much information and content as they can about the NFL. Sit down with any British NFL fan, and they'll happily spend hours discussing the same things that fans in the U.S. would chat about.

How is Tony Romo still the Cowboys QB? How much longer will the Jets stick with Mark Sanchez? Who's going to win the NFC North? The same coherent, cogent conversations are taking place among NFL fans in the UK as back home in America. And what's more, those same conversations are going on in different languages around the world on a daily basis too.

What's the point of all of this? As a British NFL fan transplanted to live and work in the U.S., I see the arguments against games being played overseas every time it's brought up by the NFL, and while many are logically thought out, the vast majority are of the knee-jerk type mentioned above.

The NFL has fans around the world, and they are growing in numbers each year - in part due to the presence of NFL games in the UK. So instead of demanding that the NFL stop playing those games, fans in the U.S. should allow the NFL's global fan base its day in the sun (or drizzle) so that they can have a taste of what makes football the best sport in the world.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000085949/article/nfl-in-london-a-british-fans-perspective

steelerchad
10-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Personally, I think the Steelers and the league would make more $$$ playing an Interstate matchup versus the Eagles in Beaver Stadium, as would other teams across the country playing at more neutral, college sites once a season

There ya go. When the league was talking about expanding the season to 18 regular season games, I thought, why not 17 games with the extra game coming in the form of a rivalry game.
Try to pit them against an out of conference opponent. Here's a few that work well. Now in the few cases that there are teams involved who struggle to fill stadiums, this will help. You can also pick a couple of these games to ship over seas with these weak fanbase teams.

Steelers vs. Eagles every year at State College. You could almost fit both sets of season ticket holders in this stadium.

Ravens vs. Redskins. Alternate the home/home. Or have it at FedEx for stadium size, but alternate the home team and fan ticket access.

Giants vs. Jets much the same way.

Cowboys vs. Texans in one of the big college venues or Mexico.

Raiders vs. 49ers.

Browns vs. Bengals in CBUS. But you designate this game to not count towards division or conference tiebreakers.

Jags vs. Tampa in Gainsville or Orlando Citrus Bowl. Neither of these teams sell out anyway, so pull both fan bases together.

Colts vs. Rams.

Pats vs. Bills in Toronto.

Chargers vs. Cardinals in Mexico.

Lots of possiblilites, and Goodell will get his international exposure this way too.

GoFor7
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
There ya go. When the league was talking about expanding the season to 18 regular season games, I thought, why not 17 games with the extra game coming in the form of a rivalry game.
Try to pit them against an out of conference opponent. Here's a few that work well. Now in the few cases that there are teams involved who struggle to fill stadiums, this will help. You can also pick a couple of these games to ship over seas with these weak fanbase teams.

Steelers vs. Eagles every year at State College. You could almost fit both sets of season ticket holders in this stadium.

Ravens vs. Redskins. Alternate the home/home. Or have it at FedEx for stadium size, but alternate the home team and fan ticket access.

Raiders vs. 49ers.

Browns vs. Bengals in CBUS. But you designate this game to not count towards division or conference tiebreakers.

Jags vs. Tampa in Gainsville or Orlando Citrus Bowl. Neither of these teams sell out anyway, so pull both fan bases together.

Colts vs. Rams.

Lots of possiblilites, and Goodell will get his international exposure this way too.

Those fans would kill each other. No, I'm not exaggerating.

4xSBChamps
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Raiders vs. 49ers.

Colts vs. Rams.

Those fans would kill each other. No, I'm not exaggerating.

... and the problem with this is?????

GoFor7
10-27-2012, 06:12 PM
... and the problem with this is?????

Hippies might relocate to another part of the country.

steelerchad
10-28-2012, 08:22 AM
The more I think about this London thing, it seems that it's just a matter of time before a team winds up there. At that point, there is no way Goodell allows this move to fail under his watch. I'm never much on conspiracy theories, but I just don't think the league will allow that team to fail. What promotes growing fan bases better than anything- winning. I could see little things that we'll never know going on to ensure that the team in London doesn't become the Cleveland Browns.

Europe is the growth opportunity for Goodell and the NFL and they are not going to jeopardize that by allowing the first team over there to be irrelevant for the first 5 years. Whether they look the other way on stuff under the table deals or hand them talent from other teams, much like the Panthers and Jags expansion, the European team will at least be competitive quickly IMO.

Hope they don't put them in the AFC N.