PDA

View Full Version : Who would you choose for Head Coach?

LambertIsGod58
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
If you could turn back the clock...who would you choose to coach your team?

1 Chuck Noll

2 Vince Lombardi

3 Bill Walsh

4 Tom Landry

5 Bill Cowher

CantStop85
08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
This is going to predictably be a Cowher landslide, but I'd definitely go for Vince Lombardi.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Thats a very tough question and very hard to answer. No question all coaches on that list are great football coaches. But the game has changed so much since the days of Lombardi. So who knows how Lombardi would handle today's players and the salary cap.

Then with Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh and Tom Landry still coached in more modern times. But they didn't have to deal with the salary cap. I think thats what makes Bill Cowher's career so amazing. With all the players he has lost throughout his career. The Steelers for the most part have stayed a very good football team over the years.

I think Cowher has 8 or 9 divison titles, two conference titles and now a Super Bowl title. Plus only three lossing years and only 4 years missing the playoffs in 14 years speaks for itself. So I voted for Bill Cowher. Call me a homer or call me crazy. But I think he is the perfect coach for the modern game of football.

Livinginthe past
08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Parcells and Cowher with no Belichick?

NM

boLT fan
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM

NM

Ya, I have to agree with LITP. Belichick is better than Cowher, maybe even Parcells.

But either way, i'd take Lombardi.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2006, 10:12 PM

NM

Yea I'm with you there LITP. Little Bill should be on the list as well. I still would take Cowher over Belichick as you would take Little Bill over Cowher. Damn there have been alot of really good football coaches named Bill. Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick.

BBC
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
This is going to predictably be a Cowher landslide, but I'd definitely go for Vince Lombardi.

20% to Cowher so far.

If anything, I'd expect for it to be biased towards Chuck Noll, but I voted for Lombardi.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
20% to Cowher so far.

If anything, I'd expect for it to be biased towards Chuck Noll, but I voted for Lombardi.

Well Vince Lombardi probally is the best coach in NFL history. But don't you think it would be interesting how Lombardi would handle today's player and the salary cap? The game has changed so much since the days of Lombardi. Thats why I think its so hard to compare eras in all sports. There is just noway you can do it.

I just think Lombardi would explode on a player today everytime when they missed a tackle or dropped a pass. Plus in today's training camps the coaches do no put their players through the pounding like coaches back in Lombardi's day did.

BBC
08-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Well Vince Lombardi probally is the best coach in NFL history. But don't you think it would be interesting how Lombardi would handle today's player and the salary cap? The game has changed so much since the days of Lombardi. Thats why I think its so hard to compare eras in all sports. There is just noway you can do it.

I agree, it's hard. He was just such a great coach back in the day, it's hard to go against him (especially with those listed with him - if Bill Belichick had been up there, I may have voted for him).

I just think Lombardi would explode on a player today everytime when they missed a tackle or dropped a pass. Plus in today's training camps the coaches do no put their players through the pounding like coaches back in Lombardi's day did.

Honestly, I'd say each and everyone one of those things you listed above would be good for the players now adays.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I agree, it's hard. He was just such a great coach back in the day, it's hard to go against him (especially with those listed with him - if Bill Belichick had been up there, I may have voted for him).

Honestly, I'd say each and everyone one of those things you listed above would be good for the players now adays.

I agree its totally hard to vote against Vince Lombardi. I just try to factor in everything when talking different eras.

The importance of fundamentals being back in the game would be very nice. We all know Lombardi would have demanded that. But the pounding some of those coaches put their players back in the day. I don't know about that. You don't what to beat up your team before the season starts.

PisnNapalm
08-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I voted for Chuck Noll. It's hard to argue with 4 Super Bowl titles and numerous division titles.

Plus if not for injuries to key players, Noll could have had 2 or 3 more rings.... He built that dynasty.

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Cowher 1st. After that Chuck. They know how to win games.

silver & black
08-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I voted for Lombardi. He was a revolutionary coach in his day... no reason to think he wouldn't be just as on top of things today.

I think all of the coaches on this list would have excelled at any point in NFL history. They all have/had the ability to adapt and motivate... they would all take whatever the situation was at the time and make it work. That is why they are all great coaches.

LambertIsGod58
08-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I voted for Chuck Noll. It's hard to argue with 4 Super Bowl titles and numerous division titles.

Plus if not for injuries to key players, Noll could have had 2 or 3 more rings.... He built that dynasty.

Glad to see someone gets it!

PisnNapalm
08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm amazed that Cowher has as many votes as Lombardi. I love Cowher and hope that he remains our coach for years to come, but... really? As many votes as Lombardi and more than Noll??

Chuck Noll is the greatest Steelers coach period. The first 10 years of his tenure produced 4 rings. Sure things went down hill some what after that but the team he assembled for the 70's ... That was a team for the ages.

As for the list of coaches there in general. I also think any of them could have coached well during any period of the NFL's history. In their primes, they all brought forth physically punishing defenses and smart efficient offenses.

Lyn
08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Tom Landry

First head coach of the Dallas Cowboys (1960-1988)
? Set an NFL record with 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966-1985)
? 1966 NFL Coach of the Year
? 1975 NFC Coach of the Year
? Won 13 NFC East titles
? Won five NFC titles
? Won Super Bowl VI and XII
? Introduced the flex defense
? Developed the 4-3 defense
? Revived the shotgun offense
? Introduced motion offenses
? Popularized situational substitutions
? Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1990)

A Total Class Act!~

HometownGal
08-16-2006, 11:58 AM
This was really a tough decision. Lombardi has an undeniable legacy and is hands down the greatest coach in NFL history. However, the question states - who would YOU choose for HC?

As BNGF32 so precisely states, there are different eras involved to factor in here, and I believe the overall structure of the game itself was undergoing changes when the others listed in the above poll (other than Landry, who coached alongside Lombardi with the NY Giants in the 50's) began their HC careers, a metamorphosis, so to speak.

When Chuck Noll became the HC of the Steelers in 1969, the team was, quite frankly, a mess. When he was hired by Art Rooney, Sr., (after JoePa turned down the job offer) he told Mr. Rooney that the rebuilding would take several years and stated..."You build with draft choices and you find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." I think we can all agree that he was a man of his word. :cool: The Emperor Chaz was a hard-assed, no-nonsense kind of guy (much like Lombardi) who demanded hard work and physical play. Through patience, grit, and very wise draft choices, he built the Steelers into the dynasty they became in a very short period of time - 4 SB trophies in a span of just 6 years. If you stop and think about it - that is short of miraculous!

I liked his style, his determination, his "never say die" attitude and the way he got the most out of his teams. He was a master motivator and a winner in every sense of the word. For those reasons, Chuck Noll gets my vote here. :smile:

ibleedburgundy
08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Joe Gibbs.

3 superbowls with three different QB's and three different RB's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I think if I had to pick MY coach and they were coaching in their era...I would go Vince...In todays climate I have to be a homer and go Cowher. Vince would have todays Prima-donnas crying and holding out because of his harshness and unfairness. Twenty years from now I truly believe that Cohwer will be thought of in the same terms as some of the greatest. His ability to almost always stay near the top of his division is truly remarkable.
That being said..If the guestion is who was able to get the MOST out of their players...I go Vince...

LambertIsGod58
08-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Nobodyhad the eye for talent like Noll

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Tom Landry

First head coach of the Dallas Cowboys (1960-1988)
? Set an NFL record with 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966-1985)
? 1966 NFL Coach of the Year
? 1975 NFC Coach of the Year
? Won 13 NFC East titles
? Won five NFC titles
? Won Super Bowl VI and XII
? Introduced the flex defense
? Developed the 4-3 defense
? Revived the shotgun offense
? Introduced motion offenses
? Popularized situational substitutions
? Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1990)

A Total Class Act!~
Yeah, but he wore a funny hat.:sofunny: