PDA

View Full Version : Bettis On Cowher's Plans

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Good column by Ron Cook in today's P-G on the Bus enjoying retirement and playing golf with Tiger Woods (Bettis shot 83) in the Buick Open pro-am.

Bettis has these thoughts on Cowher's plans.

Bettis still talks to many of the Steelers -- Porter almost every day -- and keeps his finger on the team's pulse. He predicted this will be Bill Cowher's final season as coach. "I think so. I think he wants to recharge his batteries a little and be with his family. His marriage is a big issue with him. He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation." And Cowher's replacement? "I think it will be Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt]," Bettis said. "That's one of the reasons he didn't leave [to take the Oakland Raiders' job]."

This scenario generally makes sense to me, although the veiled shot at the Rooneys being tight with a $ does not - if Cowher leaves after this season I do not believe it will in any way be becuase the Rooneys will not pay him what he is worth.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06218/711452-87.stm

LambertIsGod58
08-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Good column by Ron Cook in today's P-G on the Bus enjoying retirement and playing golf with Tiger Woods (Bettis shot 83) in the Buick Open pro-am.

Bettis has these thoughts on Cowher's plans.

Bettis still talks to many of the Steelers -- Porter almost every day -- and keeps his finger on the team's pulse. He predicted this will be Bill Cowher's final season as coach. "I think so. I think he wants to recharge his batteries a little and be with his family. His marriage is a big issue with him. He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation." And Cowher's replacement? "I think it will be Whiz [Ken Whisenhunt]," Bettis said. "That's one of the reasons he didn't leave [to take the Oakland Raiders' job]."

This scenario generally makes sense to me, although the veiled shot at the Rooneys being tight with a $ does not - if Cowher leaves after this season I do not believe it will in any way be becuase the Rooneys will not pay him what he is worth.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06218/711452-87.stm

I pray to God that Whiz would get the job.....He'd be my first choice!

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE]He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money.[QUOTE]

While I understand that I may be looking at this from an emotional point of view, it's hard for me to imagaine that Cowher would come back and coach for another team.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2006, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE]He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money.[QUOTE]

While I understand that I may be looking at this from an emotional point of view, it's hard for me to imagaine that Cowher would come back and coach for another team.

Not hard for me - if you look at most of the SB winning coaches who voluntarily retired (Gibbs, Parcells, Ditka, Vermeil, Lombardi, Seifert, Johnson) most came back with another team - about the only one who had a lot of coaching left in him was Walsh when he stepped down in 1988. Shula and Noll both clearly were done with coaching and neither of them retired anywhere close to their coaching peaks.

I look for Cowher to come back after a few years off somehere that gives him a piece of ownership.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-06-2006, 09:48 AM
ya, i just dont see Cowher on another team...

LambertIsGod58
08-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Cowher on another team is like the Pope converting to Islam......

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 10:51 AM
I see him at NC State before I see him in the NFL again.

X-Terminator
08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
He also knows if he retires and teams try to lure him out of retirement, that's when he'll really get the big money. He knows he's not going to get $5 million or $6 million from Pittsburgh. Believe me, he understands the dynamics of the situation."

This is precisely why I have always maintained that all of this retirement talk is nothing more than a ploy to get the Rooneys to pay him what the top coaches are making. Remember, he has done this before - the last time he was given a contract extension, as a matter of fact. If the Steelers show him the money, he isn't going anywhere - bank on that.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I see him at NC State before I see him in the NFL again.

Despite the emotional ties, I can't see a return to NC State - NC State will not pay him what the Steelers are paying him now; NC State is a second tier ACC program and Cowher has no interest in getting run over by Miami & Florida State on a regular basis; and a successful NFL head coach will not want to deal with what is required to suck up to boosters & recruit high school kids - Bill Walsh went to Stanford after the 49ers and, as I recall, he lasted about 2 years.

When Cowher returns it will be to a major NFL media market (New York, Chicago, or whenever LA gets a franchise again)

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Terrible thought here, Cowher retires after the season. Browns continue to stink for next 5 years, fire Romeo, and hire Cowher!

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Terrible thought here, Cowher retires after the season. Browns continue to stink for next 5 years, fire Romeo, and hire Cowher!NOOOOOOO!!!!!:shake01: Now I'm going to have nightmares!

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I pray to God that Whiz would get the job.....He'd be my first choice!

yeah i feel the same, but i don't think he will..

who would u guys want as our next steelers coach?? WHAT ABOUT PAT HILL FROM FRESNO STATE??

OX1947
08-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Its all a ploy to get Rooney to pay him big jack. No doubt. The riggers of coaching are horendous execpt for the Bill Cowher's of the world. What the hell is he gonna do for 18 hours throughout the day at home? Yah I get the whole spend time with the family, but do u think his girls will be with him for even 4 or 5 of those 18 hours? They have their own lives, friends, activities. Ya he'll be with his wife, but after 3 or 4 months, I think that might get boring every single day mowing the lawns and talking about bills.

Guys like Cowher, Gruden, Parcells live for football and thats all they know and thats all their passion is. If he does retire, he will be back and I look for him to take over the Carolina job if John Fox has a couple bad seasons......

Haiku_Dirtt
08-06-2006, 03:42 PM
This is precisely why I have always maintained that all of this retirement talk is nothing more than a ploy to get the Rooneys to pay him what the top coaches are making. Remember, he has done this before - the last time he was given a contract extension, as a matter of fact. If the Steelers show him the money, he isn't going anywhere - bank on that.

But that was when there was no one suitable to replace Cowher. This is uncharted territory. Whiz is becoming a guy who looks to be harder to replace the more Ben develops.

Cowher's stamp on this organization is complete. And that won't go away next season because it is ingrained in the leadership - of course three years down the road who knows. Whiz is getting his HC job somewhere.

Can we afford to lose him?

HometownGal
08-06-2006, 04:19 PM
If Cowher and the Steelers repeat the 2005 season and take the 41st Lombardi trophy, I see him going out on top, as I assume most NFL coaches would want to do. That is a coach's ultimate dream. If not, I see him possibly sticking out one more season and honoring the final year in his contract. Bill Cowher is an honorable man.

I doubt if he'll shrink away into retirement. As well spoken and knowledgeable as he is, along with having a great sense of humor, I think there would be an analyst job calling his name with one of the major networks.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If anyone has an opportunity to watch the 1 hour show on John Madden going into the Hall Of Fame that ran on NFL Network several nights ago there are some parallels to Cowher's situation.

We all know about Cowher's playoff disappointments, but Madden lost conference championhip games to the eventual Super Bowl champ five times (and also the Immaculate Reception game) before the Raiders won in 1976. Madden said he knew he lost to excellent teams before winning it all, but that winning the Super Bowl was vindication for his career as a coach. Altough Madden was still a realtively young coach, after the Raiders lost the 1977 AFC Championship he was gone after the 1978 season.

In some ways, having been close so many times before winning it all may have given Cowher the "been there/done that" attitude Madden quickly reached. Cowher obviously will give his all this season, but I believe he wants to leave close to the top and not go through another gut wrenching season like 1999 or 2003 or hang around too long, as Landry, Shula, and (ahate to say it) Noll did.

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Despite the emotional ties, I can't see a return to NC State - NC State will not pay him what the Steelers are paying him now; NC State is a second tier ACC program and Cowher has no interest in getting run over by Miami & Florida State on a regular basis; and a successful NFL head coach will not want to deal with what is required to suck up to boosters & recruit high school kids - Bill Walsh went to Stanford after the 49ers and, as I recall, he lasted about 2 years.

When Cowher returns it will be to a major NFL media market (New York, Chicago, or whenever LA gets a franchise again)

If coaching in Pittsburgh is taking a toll on him, he'd wouldn't last 5 seasons in New York or Chicago. Fans and sportwriters in those two towns live to destroy sports icons. Ozzie Guillen won a World Series in Chicago and he still has to put up with people like Jay Mariotti. Pencil necks like Mike Lupica make life miserable for anyone in New York because that town is so backwards when it comes to their priorities.

And I doubt that LA is an option because any team the NFL puts out there won't last 10 years because LA is the worst sports city in America.

I don't know, If Coach walks away I think he'll be done. He might do some clinics and some shows but it's hard to walk away for even 2 or 3 years and still have the touch.

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Apologies if this information has already been posted, but how much does Bill Cowher earn each year?

And where does it put him in the NFL coaches pay scale?

I have to be honest, I totally agree with being frugal with players salaries and the like, as it is essential for keeping a deep, talented squad but why wouldnt you make Cowher one of the top 5 best paid coaches?

This is assuming he isn't already in that group.

NM

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 07:08 PM
If coaching in Pittsburgh is taking a toll on him, he'd wouldn't last 5 seasons in New York or Chicago. Fans and sportwriters in those two towns live to destroy sports icons. Ozzie Guillen won a World Series in Chicago and he still has to put up with people like Jay Mariotti. Pencil necks like Mike Lupica make life miserable for anyone in New York because that town is so backwards when it comes to their priorities.

And I doubt that LA is an option because any team the NFL puts out there won't last 10 years because LA is the worst sports city in America.

I don't know, If Coach walks away I think he'll be done. He might do some clinics and some shows but it's hard to walk away for even 2 or 3 years and still have the touch.

Actually we are gonna get a NFL team here in LA.. Why does everybody always hate on LA? Jealous? Maybe. And IMO AZ is the worst place for sports.. Cards suck.diamond backs suck,the suns suck, ASU sucks,Arizona sucks lol and the list goes on ...

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Arizona is a bad place for sports, there's no doubt about that. I'm here because this where the Air Force sent me. Know a little about someone before you make personal attacks next time.

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Arizona is a bad place for sports, there's no doubt about that. I'm here because this where the Air Force sent me. Know a little about someone before you make personal attacks next time.

Hey jeremy its not a personal attack on you bro, its an attack on the city actually since u said basically that the LA fans suck, I kinda take it persoanl when it comes down 2 that.. U would not know about the rivalry between LA and SD,SF,AZ since u aint from around here. Sorry if u took it the wrong way.

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 07:21 PM

So what.... you own one/all of those Arizona franchises then?

Maybe the forces are paying you too much!

NM

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
There are a lot of front runner in LA and some of them have come out here to Arizona to live. I saw it myself after USC won their first national title. People who had been walking around in UCLA gear were all of a sudden USC fans. I saw more Clippers gear this winter than Lakers gear. LA is a lot like Miami. It's an international and cosmopolitan city. It doesn't have a real "blue collar" base to it which is where you find a lot of your support for pro sports teams. Putting a team in LA is a joke to me because the city doesn't even want one. The NFL is being forced to find the money to build a stadium for a team. That's what makes the thought of the NFL in LA a joke to me.

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
There are a lot of front runner in LA and some of them have come out here to Arizona to live. I saw it myself after USC won their first national title. People who had been walking around in UCLA gear were all of a sudden USC fans. I saw more Clippers gear this winter than Lakers gear. LA is a lot like Miami. It's an international and cosmopolitan city. It doesn't have a real "blue collar" base to it which is where you find a lot of your support for pro sports teams. Putting a team in LA is a joke to me because the city doesn't even want one. The NFL is being forced to find the money to build a stadium for a team. That's what makes the thought of the NFL in LA a joke to me.

Actually here in LA, we have 2 teams with die hard fans believe me. Its the LA dodgers and the LA lakers.. No matter what, win or loose the teams always have support from there fans.. Yeah actually its kinda true about LA does not need or want a NFL team, mainly because everybody here is an oakland raider fan.. But I heard today on some radio station here that the raiders are a serious contender 2 move back 2 LA,since it seems the city of oakland is not willing 2 help davis build a new stadium ...

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Not much a surprise there. Oakland didn't want to help the A's either and they're actually winning.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-06-2006, 08:15 PM
years because LA is the worst sports city in America.

LA will never have what Pittsburgh has in terms of fan base. Who does? Having lived in both markets I disagree about being the worst. LA just doesn't like to adopt outsider franchises moving in. The Raiders had some success because of the concentration of gang members (not joking but still funny) within 10 miles of the stadium. The Rams had an excellent following before Georgia disgracefully backstabbed them all.

USC and ucla also have enormous success.

The key for that town is venue. Like Staples Center. And any franchise there would have to be either brand new or the Reggie Saints. And I can see Eddie DeBartolo running the show. And perhaps Eddie wanting to give Cowher a 5% stake in ownership to help him get over the fact that he'll hate in there wouldn't be too farfetched...but then there is Pete Carroll who I think should stay in the NCAA.

I don't see Cowher in the NCAA.

Jeremy
08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
And I can see Eddie DeBartolo running the show.

Cool......we can see a real life version of The Last Boyscout.

X-Terminator
08-07-2006, 09:33 AM
But that was when there was no one suitable to replace Cowher. This is uncharted territory. Whiz is becoming a guy who looks to be harder to replace the more Ben develops.

Cowher's stamp on this organization is complete. And that won't go away next season because it is ingrained in the leadership - of course three years down the road who knows. Whiz is getting his HC job somewhere.

Can we afford to lose him?

No, we can't afford to lose him, but if you have the opportunity to retain one of the top coaches in the league, it's a risk I'm willing to take. Besides, we don't even know if Whiz would be a good HC anyway - lots of great coordinators have made lousy head coaches. Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey and Marty Mornhinweg are three names that come to mind.

X-Terminator
08-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Actually we are gonna get a NFL team here in LA.. Why does everybody always hate on LA? Jealous? Maybe. And IMO AZ is the worst place for sports.. Cards suck.diamond backs suck,the suns suck, ASU sucks,Arizona sucks lol and the list goes on ...

Actually you're both wrong - Atlanta has the worst sports fans in America, and have been voted as such.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Sooooooooo.........how much does Cowher get paid and where does that rank him amongst NFL coaches?

NM

Jeremy
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Teams aren't required to release the salaries of their head coaches, so there's no definitive list out there that I could find.

Chronicgaming
08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Sooooooooo.........how much does Cowher get paid and where does that rank him amongst NFL coaches?

NM

From the Steelers News Site:
http://media3.steelers.com/article/42641/

Steve Spurrier - Redskins - $5 million
Mike Holmgren - Seahawks - $4.5 million
Mike Shanahan - Broncos - $3.5 million
Bill Cowher - Steelers - $3.4 million
Jeff Fisher - Titans - $3.3 million
Butch Davis - Browns - $3.3 million
Andy Reid - Eagles - $3.2 million

It appears that the list is outdated, but Cowher was ranked in the Top 5 when it was put out.

HometownGal
08-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I found an outdated article (Feb. 2006) on the PPG website which states that Cowher "probably" makes close to $4 million annually in the last two years of his contract. I don't think anyone but Cowher and the Rooneys know for sure.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06057/661418.stm

Few even know what Cowher makes, although it's likely close to $4 million annually in these next two seasons.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
From the Steelers News Site:
http://media3.steelers.com/article/42641/

Steve Spurrier - Redskins - $5 million
Mike Holmgren - Seahawks - $4.5 million
Mike Shanahan - Broncos - $3.5 million
Bill Cowher - Steelers - $3.4 million
Jeff Fisher - Titans - $3.3 million
Butch Davis - Browns - $3.3 million
Andy Reid - Eagles - $3.2 million

It appears that the list is outdated, but Cowher was ranked in the Top 5 when it was put out.

Appreciated Chronic!

Its amazing the difference in the salaries - Spurrier was being paid over 3 times more than Bill Belichick.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I found an outdated article (Feb. 2006) on the PPG website which states that Cowher "probably" makes close to $4 million annually in the last two years of his contract. I don't think anyone but Cowher and the Rooneys know for sure.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06057/661418.stm

Thanks for the link HTG,

Its appreciated.

Its certainly good money, but when you consider how much a single players gets paid these days it puts it all into perspective.

NM

Elvis
08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
My first choice of the guy to replace Cowher would be Russ Grimm or maybe even Dick LeBeau. We need that rough tough no nonsense kind of leader in Pittsburgh and I think that Wisenhunt would be more fenesse than physical. Just my opinion but I think that Wisenhunt will be more like a coach in Tennessee or San Francisco.

Ambridge
08-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Besides, we don't even know if Whiz would be a good HC anyway - lots of great coordinators have made lousy head coaches. Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey and Marty Mornhinweg are three names that come to mind.

Don't forget Norv Turner in that group.

If the Steelers and Bill Cowher repeat and win Superbowl XLI he should expect to be the highest paid coach in the league and the Rooney's are going to have to stick a crowbar in the wallet and shell out between 6-7 Million.