PDA

View Full Version : Why don't offensive linemen wear knee braces?

maddog78
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I would imagine the technology is advanced enough where they could wear a lightweight brace that doesn't limit mobility or speed, and would protect against injuries like DD and Pouncey suffered, or at least lessen the severity.

You see it at the college level. Do any pro OL wear them?

Pouncey may play Sunday Night, and if he does he'll likely be wearing a brace. Why not wear one all the time?

Darkstorm05
10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
The whole point of a brace is that it limits mobility to an extent. That's how it protects you. I think at this point it would break NFL equipment policy unless it's required by a dr and is unobtrusive.. A brace could also cause injuries during impacts. Again, they're therapeutic items...not power armor.

FanSince72
10-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Mike Webster (14 years), Dermonti Dawson (12 years) and Jeff Hartings (5 years [4 with Detroit]) didn't wear such braces and they represent the only three Centers we had for 31 years and their combined game appearances add up to 37 seasons worth of football.

Maybe Pouncey is just clumsy or needs to learn a better technique -- or maybe he needs to stay clear of Gilbert.

Steel_Bus_24
10-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Mike Webster (14 years), Dermonti Dawson (12 years) and Jeff Hartings (5 years [4 with Detroit]) didn't wear such braces and they represent the only three Centers we had for 31 years and their combined game appearances add up to 37 seasons worth of football.

Maybe Pouncey is just clumsy or needs to learn a better technique -- or maybe he needs to stay clear of Gilbert.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrAyhfbDiR1NWRMxYW2LmK6T-E_aVkSe_ngFMzEzmjgDQx053zeQ

cZa-TSyQDB8

The dudes a Terminator Model T-800

....Hopefully We're reprogramming him like the resistance did in T2 to fight for good

steelfury02
10-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Listen, and understand. Gilbert is out there, he cant be bargained with, he cant be reasoned with, he doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and he absolutely will not stop...EVER, until your linemen are DEAD

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081008025046/terminator/images/a/a0/T1_Kyle_Reese_defends_Sarah.JPG

Rhom
10-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Seeing all the evidence, I think Gilbert is point-shaving.....yah he needed to take his own team out to keep the game close. hehehe I'm kidding of course.

maddog78
10-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Ohio State wears them. How limiting can they be? Sure wish DD was wearing one against Buffalo.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Minnesota+v+Ohio+State+IByrxVi7IhOl.jpg

maddog78
10-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Alabama, too. What do they know that NFL teams do not?

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/alab/graphics/archive_images/16366.jpg

tony hipchest
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
college? those boys are on scholorship, plus theyre playing cupcakes every other weekend.

in the NFL, a spit second of getting out of your stance is the difference between starting and riding the pine.

screw a knee brace, many players dont even wear a cup, and many are resistant to wearing james harrisons military grade kevlar helmet because it is 3 Oz. heavier. hell, they dont even like that the nfl is making it mandatory to wear thigh and elbow pads. same with the mouth guard.

the big leagues is about performance, not health or safety. its a mans game, and nobody wants to be perceived as a pu$$. plus, if you wear a knee brace, you might as well be painting a red bullseye on the outside of your pants.

EbonySteel86
10-19-2012, 06:01 AM
If I was the owner, they would be wearing them. Try it in pre season first and if it helps, keep em. The way our oline are dropping like flies, why not.

maddog78
10-19-2012, 08:12 AM
If I was the owner, they would be wearing them. Try it in pre season first and if it helps, keep em. The way our oline are dropping like flies, why not.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. And I agree with Tony, that's why they don't like wearing them.

So why doesn't the league work with manufacturers to perfect better, lighter braces?

Sorry, I'm just sick of the knee injuries plaguing this team.

Darkstorm05
10-19-2012, 08:25 AM
So why doesn't the league work with manufacturers to perfect better, lighter braces?

Sorry, I'm just sick of the knee injuries plaguing this team.

Because braces work by limiting movement. That's why it's beneficial to an injured knee...it doesn't allow full range of motion, and provides resistance to help protect it. There's already an over the knee brace design that provides almost no resistance, and is very light weight. You probably know it by it's common name...pants. Anything more effective than pants will limit mobility.

maddog78
10-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Because braces work by limiting movement. That's why it's beneficial to an injured knee...it doesn't allow full range of motion, and provides resistance to help protect it. There's already an over the knee brace design that provides almost no resistance, and is very light weight. You probably know it by it's common name...pants. Anything more effective than pants will limit mobility.

Yes, braces are designed to restrict the type of movement that God did not intend in the human knee.

Stuff like this:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/670750473.gif?key=475267&Expires=1350650965&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=FN5NCgQu3nZTFFzSbATvUBDB3Ssj~7HpWZ6udY~8 EThD6UzaS1NT5fpE-htnNmU8RtFyu36BiqQvv3bi9l~xqgIjVgkja7SPBc9REWMmkXm lt5XT1BCWE7YYPt-NXa3rGMp8ldLmuI9vE9o6k~wSSfEO5lS9LTlCTU0RomJ235Q_

maddog78
10-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Also, guys coming back from injury wear them quite often. If they're so restrictive as to render the player useless, just hold him out until he doesn't need the brace anymore.

Darkstorm05
10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Also, guys coming back from injury wear them quite often. If they're so restrictive as to render the player useless, just hold him out until he doesn't need the brace anymore.

It doesn't render them useless...it simply slows them down and restricts mobility. Pouncey in a brace is still better than any other Center we have without a brace. Thing is, when he's braced up don't look for him to be performing rapid lateral moves or the like.

For anyone fuzzy on it, try putting on a brace while you're healthy, then running, or jumping...or try to play some ball. You'll find that you just don't "Feel Right". At the NFL level, that translates directly to diminished performance. College guys can get away with it all day, because the opposing team might have a star or two, but the rest of them will be waiting tables at Chili's after they graduate.

FrancoLambert
10-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Wait....didn't you hear about the amazing advancement in knee braces?????
It's called the "Gilbert Brace."
Guaranteed to protect against debilitating knee injuries caused by a teammate.
Just patented by an orthopedist in Pittsburgh.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
college? those boys are on scholorship, plus theyre playing cupcakes every other weekend.

in the NFL, a spit second of getting out of your stance is the difference between starting and riding the pine.

screw a knee brace, many players dont even wear a cup, and many are resistant to wearing james harrisons military grade kevlar helmet because it is 3 Oz. heavier. hell, they dont even like that the nfl is making it mandatory to wear thigh and elbow pads. same with the mouth guard.

the big leagues is about performance, not health or safety. its a mans game, and nobody wants to be perceived as a pu$$. plus, if you wear a knee brace, you might as well be painting a red bullseye on the outside of your pants.

Tony, you never wear a cup in football. Its not like somebody is throwing a ball at your stones like Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard.

Wearing a brace may limit movement, but for the O line guys its not that big of a deal IMO. O line is about quick feet, short strides and technical movement. After a couple knee injuries myself as a kid...I played with a Stromgren knee support. http://www.stromgren.com/products/190-knee-protectors.php
Once took a shot in the side of the leg and had to bend the thing back straight again. I was so happy that I had that piece of metal there and my knee didnt take the full brunt.

I'll admitt that I eventually took it off because I felt invincible again after the recovery. Its not a bad idea that guys on the line would wear one, because you can often be locked up with a defender when somebody rolls up the back of your legs.

maddog78
10-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Tony, you never wear a cup in football. Its not like somebody is throwing a ball at your stones like Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard.

Wearing a brace may limit movement, but for the O line guys its not that big of a deal IMO. O line is about quick feet, short strides and technical movement. After a couple knee injuries myself as a kid...I played with a Stromgren knee support. http://www.stromgren.com/products/190-knee-protectors.php
Once took a shot in the side of the leg and had to bend the thing back straight again. I was so happy that I had that piece of metal there and my knee didnt take the full brunt.

I'll admitt that I eventually took it off because I felt invincible again after the recovery. Its not a bad idea that guys on the line would wear one, because you can often be locked up with a defender when somebody rolls up the back of your legs.

We could have a starting line with Pouncey, DD, and Gilbert today if they wore them. As it is, we may well have Legursky, Foster, and Adams.

There's a nasty trickle down effect with OL injuries, too. Ben is going to start getting hit a lot more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-21-2012, 09:29 AM
We could have a starting line with Pouncey, DD, and Gilbert today if they wore them. As it is, we may well have Legursky, Foster, and Adams.

There's a nasty trickle down effect with OL injuries, too. Ben is going to start getting hit a lot more.

You don't know that for certain. A brace may not have prevented such injuries.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Adams play RT today.

maddog78
10-21-2012, 09:36 AM
You don't know that for certain. A brace may not have prevented such injuries.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Adams play RT today.

Which is why I said "could" and not "would".

:hatsoff:

I want to see Adams, too. I haven't been very impressed with Gilbert. Hope we hit on the Adams pick.