PDA

View Full Version : Willie McG Slams Core-less Patriots

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 10:45 AM
This has to be one of the most outspoken interviews I have ever read, from any player, let alone an ex-Patriots one.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20060806-9999-1s6nflcol.html

He calls out Starks for 'playing like trash' - which most Patriots fans will agree with, but he was playing with an injury.

Seems weird for this guy to be calling out a fellow pro like that - maybe there is some bitterness over the fact he isn't being paid big money in New England instead of Cleveland.

I agree with the point he makes about needing talent aswell as coaching skills, but there are plenty of talented teams who have underachieved on a regular basis - San Diego for example.

I find the complaint about Patriots losing their 'core' to be mystifying - surely he realises, along with most fans, that the salary cap makes it impossible for an ultra successful team to keep paying top whack for all of its squad.

NFL squads have relatively high turnovers - there are only four players on the Patriots team that I would consider 'core' - Brady, Seymour, Harrison and Bruschi.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
LITP....do the Pats play the Browns this year?

If so..that should be interesting....

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2006, 11:36 AM

No our division plays the AFC West this. Then the other two non divisional AFC games on the schedule are determined by standing from last year. Since the Bengals and Pats are the two defending champs they will face each other. We face the Dolphins since we were second in the division and the Dolphins were second. I think the Browns finished last so they will face the last place team in the AFC East.

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM

Nope afraid not.......but the Browns do play the Oakland Raiders - the current home of one Duane Starks!

Its a shame they can't be on the field at the same time.

NM

LambertIsGod58
08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
To me, the Patriots have demonstrated that they could lose big players and never skip a beat.

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-06-2006, 12:40 PM
To me, the Patriots have demonstrated that they could lose big players and never skip a beat.That may have been true in the past, but I think that they've lost a lot this off season,and I don't think that they have done to well at trying to plug the holes.

silver & black
08-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Nope afraid not.......but the Browns do play the Oakland Raiders - the current home of one Duane Starks!

Its a shame they can't be on the field at the same time.

NM
From what I'm hearing, Starks may not make to opening day.

Livinginthe past
08-06-2006, 01:21 PM
From what I'm hearing, Starks may not make to opening day.

You think?

Is it injury related concerns or is he just not good enough to avoid the cut?

NM

j-dawg
08-06-2006, 01:51 PM
wow, willie really tore into starks.... he hasn't done a lot of interviews for the local media in cleveland, i heard he did one for sirius radio the other day. god read LITP!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-06-2006, 03:59 PM
My affinity for Willie goes way back to his college days. He's a fierce competitior but not a blowhard. He's smart.

If that's his perception then I'd have a tendency to buy into it. Are the Pats on shaky ground? And is the foundation fractured? Not a desirable combination.

hardwork
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
This has to be one of the most outspoken interviews I have ever read, from any player, let alone an ex-Patriots one.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20060806-9999-1s6nflcol.html

He calls out Starks for 'playing like trash' - which most Patriots fans will agree with, but he was playing with an injury.

Seems weird for this guy to be calling out a fellow pro like that - maybe there is some bitterness over the fact he isn't being paid big money in New England instead of Cleveland.

I agree with the point he makes about needing talent aswell as coaching skills, but there are plenty of talented teams who have underachieved on a regular basis - San Diego for example.

I find the complaint about Patriots losing their 'core' to be mystifying - surely he realises, along with most fans, that the salary cap makes it impossible for an ultra successful team to keep paying top whack for all of its squad.

NFL squads have relatively high turnovers - there are only four players on the Patriots team that I would consider 'core' - Brady, Seymour, Harrison and Bruschi.

NM

If I remember correctly there were a lot of people in and around the Patriots last year who were pissed at Starks.

Willie went after Izzo on the sidelines at the end of last season so I suspect whatever was eating at him about last years defense was eating at him before he left for the Browns.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
If I remember correctly there were a lot of people in and around the Patriots last year who were pissed at Starks.

Willie went after Izzo on the sidelines at the end of last season so I suspect whatever was eating at him about last years defense was eating at him before he left for the Browns.

Really?

I didnt hear about him going after Izzo last year!

He wasn't one of the guys who was looking a little too happy despite the Patriots getting beat by the Bronco's was he?

NM

hardwork
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Really?

I didnt hear about him going after Izzo last year!

He wasn't one of the guys who was looking a little too happy despite the Patriots getting beat by the Bronco's was he?

NM

I think it was at the end of the regular season, LITP. Izzo came in for a couple of series at LB and when the defense left the field Willie went after him. I heard it was a reaction that had been brewing for a long time in Willie because of the way the defense had been playing all year. Why he singled out Izzo, though, I have no idea.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I think it was at the end of the regular season, LITP. Izzo came in for a couple of series at LB and when the defense left the field Willie went after him. I heard it was a reaction that had been brewing for a long time in Willie because of the way the defense had been playing all year. Why he singled out Izzo, though, I have no idea.

Well its a fine line I guess - I love Willie's winner takes all mentality - he has had some huge strip sacks and goalline stops for us down the years.

The defense did suck for large periods last year, but its hard to maintain a high standard of play when you have so many injuries - I understand that the playbook is pretty complicated to learn aswell.

I know that Mangini came in for a bit of stick for playing such a vanilla D all the time, once we got Bruschi and Seymour back in the mix it allowed a little more flexibility in the playcalling.

I'll be watching how he does In Cleveland.

NM

silver & black
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
You think?

Is it injury related concerns or is he just not good enough to avoid the cut?

NM
I really don't know. I've read over at RF.net that it may be Pool or Starks, but not both. It sounds like Pool is having a better camp than Starks. I wish I could be more specific, but that's all I know. Basically, it's just rumor, I guess.