PDA

View Full Version : barret brooks arrest last night

steel-EERS
08-06-2006, 12:24 PM
anyone know anything about this?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I heard he ran a couple of stop lights. I'm having trouble getting the link right now sorry.

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2006, 12:55 PM
http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_218104154.html

cut him

Steelers Offensive Linemen Arrested

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH After a solid first week of practice, Steelers training camp took a turn for the worse early Sunday morning.

Police arrested Steelers offensive lineman Barrett Brooks on the South Side on charges of eluding and fleeing the police.

Brooks was allegedly driving erratically at around 2:30 a.m. on the 1700-block of Carson Street, running multiple stop signs.

Brooks has a minor incident in which he laid his motorcycle down. He then allegedly tried to get back on the motorcycle and leave the scene when he was arrested.

He was tested for driving under the influence. Police say Brooks was under the legal limit.

Good bye Barrett. He stinks anyways. Should be first cut of camp.

LambertLunatic
08-06-2006, 12:58 PM
This is great news for the Steelers! Before this incident, Brooks was most likely going to be cut. Now that he's in trouble with the law, his stock has risen. Look for the Bengals to offer a 3rd round pick for him.

nicesteel4life
08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
YEAH another Motorcycle Incident.....What the HELL do they think?

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I just don't get why these guys would risk blowing such an opportunity when it's obviously taken work and commitment to get that far. Doesn't he know that these aren't the Bengals that he's dealing with???:dang:

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Even assuming any Steeler still would be riding a motorcycle after Ben's accident, the fact that Brooks did that while not wearing a helmet and in post-midnight Saturday night traffic (where meeting a drunk or at least impaired driver on the road is exponentially more likely to happen) indicates he should be cut on grounds of general stupidity.

Unless the Steelers need the body for practice fodder, Brooks should be cut this afternoon to send a message this type of conduct needs to end - the Super Bowl celebration is over and it is time to get down to business.

19ward86
08-06-2006, 02:44 PM
does barret brookes even play during the season i know he doesnt start but is he like third string?

PisnNapalm
08-06-2006, 02:55 PM
This is freaking great.... another distraction.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
This is freaking great.... another distraction.

Yea but this distraction probally will be gone.

SteelerMurf
08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Being he is a backup who was probably going to be cut in favor of Willie C....I don't see this as being a distraction.

But there will be some good come out of this.....a shorter leesh for the rest of camp.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I just don't get why these guys would risk blowing such an opportunity when it's obviously taken work and commitment to get that far. Doesn't he know that these aren't the Bengals that he's dealing with???:dang:
excellent point...he is obviously an on the bubble player...if your going to end your NFL career..do it with dignaity, getting beat out in a fair contest...not in doing something so stupid!!

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 03:31 PM
i don't get what goes through these guys heads man, why end your NFL career like this..

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-06-2006, 03:32 PM
does barret brookes even play during the season i know he doesnt start but is he like third string?

he plays in goalline situations...or rather...played in goaline situations

Haiku_Dirtt
08-06-2006, 03:46 PM
This is great news for the Steelers! Before this incident, Brooks was most likely going to be cut. Now that he's in trouble with the law, his stock has risen. Look for the Bengals to offer a 3rd round pick for him.

Very very funny.

After seeing his pic from the Trib the other day we weren't talking about a cut...it was the whole side of beef with the trimmings.

HometownGal
08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Police arrested Steelers offensive lineman Barrett Brooks on the South Side on charges of eluding and fleeing the police.

Brooks was allegedly driving erratically at around 2:30 a.m. on the 1700-block of Carson Street, running multiple stop signs.

Brooks has a minor incident in which he laid his motorcycle down. He then allegedly tried to get back on the motorcycle and leave the scene when he was arrested.

He was tested for driving under the influence. Police say Brooks was under the legal limit.

What the hell is it with these modern day athletes? Some of them act like they've taken too many hits to the head. He obviously wasn't going to be nabbed for a DUI, so why try to run from the police? When a cop tells you to stop, you freakin' stop - common sense 101 here. No one, even those who think their status in life demands special treatment, is above the law!!!

Ambridge
08-06-2006, 08:05 PM
he plays in goalline situations...or rather...played in goaline situations

Barrett Brooks's False Start Penalty against the Patriots last year took the Steelers out of Field Goal Range.....three points that proved to be costly.

I totally agree that he needs to be cut immediately and made an example of.
Barrett should turn in his Superbowl Ring and hit the road.

Steel Pit
08-07-2006, 05:34 AM
What the hell is it with these modern day athletes? Some of them act like they've taken too many hits to the head. He obviously wasn't going to be nabbed for a DUI, so why try to run from the police? When a cop tells you to stop, you freakin' stop - common sense 101 here. No one, even those who think their status in life demands special treatment, is above the law!!!

Right on girl. And even if he did demand special treatment the police would not know that they were pulling over such a "significant individual" until after he had STOPPED! :busted: When he decided to try to run he gave up ANY chance that he had to receive a professional courtesy warning.

Police Officers across America may want to try a different tactic when dealing with troubled-professional athletes. BLOW YOUR FRICKING WHISTLE! That seems to be the only device capable of registering a signal in the brains of these athletes. I would discourage throwing a yellow handkerchief. Those things are dangerous! That would probably get you shoved to the ground along with a civil lawsuit being filed against you when the athlete claims that he was "partially blinded" by the dangerous handkerchief. As they say, "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye". I would also suggest that every wife/girlfriend of a troubled-professional athlete buy themselves a whistle. It may save them from a beating someday.

CantStop85
08-07-2006, 12:26 PM
This is just going to destroy team chemistry...I don't see them getting more than 4 wins this season with these kind of distractions. I mean, a backup getting arrested is a major blow to the team. Oh wait, we're talking about the Steelers, not the Bengals...since it's the Steelers, they will take it as a wake-up call and go on a 19-0 Super Bowl run. lol

Cut him and move along, nothing to see here.

Ambridge
08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Since the Steelers are in Training Camp I would assume there is a team curfew and bedcheck up at Latrobe???
Even if not it's nice to see Barrett still has enough extra energy to be out and about at 2:30am.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Since the Steelers are in Training Camp I would assume there is a team curfew and bedcheck up at Latrobe???
Even if not it's nice to see Barrett still has enough extra energy to be out and about at 2:30am.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here (probably am), but didn't the incident with Bettis and the PSU chick who admitted that she made up the rape accusations occur during training camp?

With Brooks, my only guess is that since they had Sunday off maybe he (or the team in general) got a curfew break?

70c10
08-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Hopefully Troy don't have a bike!

bratsinmybelly
08-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Pathetic.........can we please end this sordid affair with a second tier player. As if we don't have enough distractions already. Let's at least save the ink for players worth the effort. Just pathetic!!!

bratsinmybelly
08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
By pathetic I mean Brooks, and by ink I mean the press.

Ambridge
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
With Brooks, my only guess is that since they had Sunday off maybe he (or the team in general) got a curfew break?

My mistake!! I didn't know that the players had Sunday off.
Does the day off mean that the players don't have to be accountable for there whereabouts the night before??

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
My mistake!! I didn't know that the players had Sunday off.
Does the day off mean that the players don't have to be accountable for there whereabouts the night before??

No idea. I was just putting that "guess" out there. I'm not even sure the Sunday off had anything to do with Brooks being in Pittsburgh.

Lyn
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
He is denying everything other than running from the cops. I guess he just ran to run...........gotta be that Steeler drive:)

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Eitherway, Cowher is not very happy about the whole situation...........

Lineman's arrest disappoints Cowher
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Steelers offensive tackle Barrett Brooks was back at St. Vincent College on Monday morning, practicing with his teammates and defending his reputation following a late-night motorcycle ride that landed him in the Allegheny County Jail early Sunday.

"I apologize to the Rooneys. The family is a great family, and they believe in not doing stuff like this," Brooks said. "But I really didn't do anything, and once things come to fruition we'll be all right.

"I was just riding a motorcycle, and that's the extent of it."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher repeatedly expressed disappointment in Brooks following yesterday afternoon's practice.

"I'm not going to go into detail, obviously, to let the judicial system work its process," Cowher said. "Internally, we discussed it. I was very disappointed in the judgment that he displayed on Saturday night, talked to the football team about it, and we'll leave it at that.

"I certainly don't condone the actions, and certainly there's a responsibility that goes with being a professional athlete and handling yourself properly. And Barrett used very poor judgment, and I was very disappointed in him."

Brooks was charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an unsafe speed and stop sign violations. He was arrested at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

Brooks was not intoxicated and was not wearing a helmet, police said.

"It wasn't as it seemed, you know what I mean?" Brooks said. "But I'm here to play football, so I'm going to focus on that.

"You guys know me; 80 percent of the league knows me. I'm a down-to-earth guy. I would never put myself in a situation to do something like this, but it just so happens that this happened. It was a total miscommunication. It just wasn't the way it seemed. All the stuff that's been said was totally misinterpreted."

Brooks, 34, is preparing for his 12th NFL season and fourth with the Steelers. He appeared in all 20 regular-season and postseason games last season on special teams, and he was occasionally employed as a reserve tackle or guard.

According to Pittsburgh police Sgt. Dennis Washington, Brooks illegally passed a moving police car on the right side while driving his Yamaha motorcycle on the 1700 block of East Carson Street.

The police officer then activated his car's lights and siren and chased Brooks for several blocks, Washington said.

Brooks ran a couple of stop signs before losing control of his bike while trying to make a turn at 12th and Muriel streets, Washington said.

"He got up and attempted to get back on the bike and ride way, but the officer physically tackled him back down off the bike," Washington said. "I think (Brooks) was just worried about losing his job."

Brooks scoffed at the suggestion he'd been tackled off his bike.

"C'mon now, that's what I do for a living, you know what I'm saying?" he said.

Brooks declined to discuss more specifics regarding the incident, other than to say of the police car, "I didn't see him.

"Once everything's over I'll say something, but everything's under litigation right now, so there's really nothing to say. I'm here to play football.

"You'll see, you'll definitely see. I'm telling you guys it was totally blown out of proportion. Once you guys see, once everything comes out, you'll understand."

Brooks regretted how his involvement in the incident might reflect upon the Steelers.

"I reached out to everybody on the team, my teammates, coaches and everybody else, explained the situation (and) apologized for any negative attention brought to them," Brooks said.