PDA

View Full Version : The official Mike Wallace sucks thread

Fire Arians
10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice effort dude, shoulda took that 9 million / yr offer when you had the chance, you'll be lucky to get half that anywhere else now. Overrated.

maddog78
10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
He doesn't suck, he's just average. Not worth the money he wants.

Last year on a 6-10 team. Good luck on the Jets next season.

ChristianKustomz
10-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't know about that one. I mean he has caught 1 ball out of 9 passes before the first half of the bengals game. Look at it this way...how many times can he really drop a perfectly thrown pass...right in the bread basket? He sucks this year! Just like our defense! Just like our receivers...anything else...oh yeah...Screw the Ravens!

ZoneBlitzer
10-21-2012, 08:55 PM
He's certainly sucking tonight. I've never been that much of a fan. I much prefer AB who is far more elusive and has better body control.

Wallace has always been a "project'. He's a burner with poor feet and body control and not a natural receiver.

I'll never forgive him for dropping the ball in the SB.

SquirrelHillSteelNut
10-21-2012, 09:04 PM
it still hurts thinking about that pass Mike dropped in the Superbowl, can't watch and don't want to watch any of that SB because of it. *sighs sadly*

BlaZeQuietly
10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Hes on my fantasy team , I keep asking my self/.... why????

ChristianKustomz
10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Looks like he hasn't gotten any better through the years. He did make that one play so far this game. The only bigger tool te Wallace in my opinion would be the Noid from Dominos pizza. All that ego and nothing to back it up with.

I'm more pissed off with te fact the damn begals run it half the freaking field on every kick off since the start of the game...here's an idea "BLOCK THE FREAKING BALL AND TACKLE"!!!!

cubanstogie
10-21-2012, 09:35 PM
worst game I have ever seen him play. I don't think I have seen him make a great catch all year.

ChristianKustomz
10-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey look...4th quarter...Wallace dropped another pass! Anybody shocked by this?

btaylor179
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
he barely caught one.....wow and he held out for what??????? lmao

SoCalFan
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
This thread will be dead soon! Everyone has an off day! He will be fine!

Lady Steel
10-21-2012, 10:42 PM
As far as receivers are concerned, I'm an Antonio Brown fan. He's far better than Wallace, who is an average receiver, in my opinion. Wallace can make some fantastic plays, but is inconsistent. I'm always disppointed in his overall performance.

ChristianKustomz
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
$20 says he still sucks by next week...better yet I bet you $50 he couldn't even catch aids! LMFAO!

(not that we would want him to breed anyway. Don't need another dropped pass)!! LOL!

Fire Arians
10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
for someone asking for over 10 mil a year I'm not impressed, if a player is asking for that much he better be performing every week and making a difference in games. yeah he will be due for some good games here and there but he's not a prime time player and I don't care much at all for how he takes plays off

antonio brown is the only WR who has been consistently earning his paycheck

Edman
10-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Of course Mike Wallace will be "fine". That's all he is. Fine, but not great.

Tonight just simply showed that he is not in the elite class of NFL WR's and thus doesn't deserve elite WR money. He's an good athlete with average WR skills and an even worse head to go along with it.

TheVet
10-21-2012, 10:56 PM
On twitter I heard Limas Sweed wants Wallace money now

:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

TRH
10-21-2012, 10:57 PM
This thread will be dead soon! Everyone has an off day! He will be fine!

well, i'll give you this : he doesn't suck.......

Problem is....he's an above-average receiver, maybe even approaching "star" quality. But he's not a superstar. He's not among the elite. Thats clear.
And he has stretches when he loafs.

Before the year started, i was among the group that believed Antonio Brown did indeed deserve the big contract and was a better Steeler than Wallace. And i've seen absolutely nothing to change my mind on that - i knew that i was right.

Fire Arians
10-21-2012, 11:06 PM
well ok my thread title was a little harsh on mike, he doesn't suck. he's just not great either. not nearly as good as the money he's asking. the fact he's holding out for more money is making me much more critical of him than anyone else on the team.

he has the talent to be great but I think he's officially phasing himself out of pittsburgh. his halfass efforts will not get him the payday he's hoping for. what message would that be sending to the team if we pay this guy 9+ mil a year who gives 50% when he's not getting his way? that it's okay to not give your best effort week in and week out if you're good for an occasional homerun? that shit doesn't fly in my book. go hard or gtfo

TheVet
10-21-2012, 11:10 PM
He's got great speed, but route-running and hands are only NFL average. I would hate to lose that wonderful deep threat, but the Steelers don't wildly overpay for solld talent.

austinfrench76
10-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Well, he has this year and I'm glad Brown got paid! Right guy.

pete74
10-22-2012, 04:10 AM
although i agree that Wallace is definatly not worth 11 million a season to the Steelers, i disagree with most opinions here. yes he did have a bad game but he definatly does not suck. he is a really good wr who just had a bad game

bornaSteelersfan
10-22-2012, 04:26 AM
This is not his first bad game this season. The reverse late in the game was a great call. It was as if Ben said, "Well, since you can't seem to catch the ball, I'll simply hand it to you." He didn't even catch the pass near the end. That was clearly a trap, but he got the benefit of a call on the field. He is certainly not worth the money we paid Brown.

On the other hand, Brown was awesome tonight! I love his turn around cut move (then Rainey's block) to get that first down early on. Great play calling in this game.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Peter King states where this is heading in his MMQB column this morning

Are you serious, Mike Wallace? Two drops in the first 13 minutes Sunday night? The second was going to be a big gainer. And here's the deal: There's no way a receiver with a case of the drops (which Wallace has had this year) is going to get big money from the Rooneys.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/10/21/week-7/4.html

steeltheone
10-22-2012, 07:26 AM
although i agree that Wallace is definatly not worth 11 million a season to the Steelers, i disagree with most opinions here. yes he did have a bad game but he definatly does not suck. he is a really good wr who just had a bad gameHe might be good, but he is not "really " good.....Good wideouts are plenty in the NFL and they don't cost 10 mill a year!

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Peter King usually talks up the Steelers - that is a fair assessment of his performance thus far this season

My wife said it best - "He looks just as good as Santonio Holmes right now - and isn't he injured?"

His body language says it all to me. I saw Tomlin trying to talk to him after a drop and he walked right past him. This guy isn't Steeler material after what I've witnessed in his last dozen or so games he has played dating to last season.

EbonySteel86
10-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Don't know what's wrong with Wallace. His play of late is disturbing. Hope he gets it together.

Edman
10-22-2012, 07:34 AM
There are plenty of good WR's in the NFL.

The kicker is that they aren't asking for 10 million a year like Wallace is.

Bayz101
10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I'd like to defend his performance, but I've run out of excuses. The bottom line is he NEEDS to step up and be the #1 guy and finish the first half of the season strong. No more of that "He opens up passes for Brown" bullshit. He was in man coverage the biggest portion of the night and dropped damn near everything thrown his way. No more excuses, get the job done.

Darkstorm05
10-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Wallace needs to spend a quarter on the bench at this point, IMO. His attitude needs to be reset.

TRH
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
although i agree that Wallace is definatly not worth 11 million a season to the Steelers, i disagree with most opinions here. yes he did have a bad game but he definatly does not suck. he is a really good wr who just had a bad game

I don't think anyone's saying he "sucks", really. I think people are seeing him for what he is - a very good, above-average receiver - who's fast.
I'd like to see a return to the humble, nice, good-attitude kid we saw the 1st 2 years. I don't know that i've ever seen a player go from that to such a HUGE big head so fast. When i would hear him talk last year, i couldn't believe he became so cocky so fast.

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
if I had Mike's ear I'd tell him he has two options:

A. Give 50% effort and act like a chump, don't get paid - get shipped off, and potentially never sniff another Super Bowl appearance

B. Lose the attitude and play like you want it, and maybe the Steelers might keep you and maybe you might get a "solid" contract. You don't see Wes Welker going half-ass

I really thought he would have gone from really stupid to at least mildly dumb after he was out maneuvered with the contract situation, at least did a solid job where you could count on his hands when thrown his way (and I'm excluding the low percentage deep throws to give him the benefit of the doubt - even though that really has been his "forte" since he has been here)

Look at last night's game and watch AB make something out of nothing with his effort. Then look at Mike Wallace's effort and body language. It is night and day. And it isn't just about last night's game. It is indeed a trend.

Don't let one catch here and one TD catch every other game fool you - if he shows up like that at home this coming game, I'd rather see Cotchery in there at this point. You're going to see a shift in how Ds prepare for Steelers, and they will focus in on AB more and more. Don't give me "this is a dink and dunk offense now so they aren't throwing it him like they used to." Who cares how they throw it to him, he isn't coming up with it no matter what.

TRH
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
if I had Mike's ear I'd tell him he has two options:

A. Give 50% effort and act like a chump, don't get paid - get shipped off, and potentially never sniff another Super Bowl appearance

B. Lose the attitude and play like you want it, and maybe the Steelers might keep you and maybe you might get a "solid" contract. You don't see Wes Welker going half-ass

I really thought he would have gone from really stupid to at least mildly dumb after he was out maneuvered with the contract situation, at least did a solid job where you could count on his hands when thrown his way (and I'm excluding the low percentage deep throws to give him the benefit of the doubt - even though that really has been his "forte" since he has been here)

Look at last night's game and watch AB make something out of nothing with his effort. Then look at Mike Wallace's effort and body language. It is night and day. And it isn't just about last night's game. It is indeed a trend.

Don't let one catch here and one TD catch every other game fool you - if he shows up like that at home this coming game, I'd rather see Cotchery in there at this point. You're going to see a shift in how Ds prepare for Steelers, and they will focus in on AB more and more. Don't give me "this is a dink and dunk offense now so they aren't throwing it him like they used to." Who cares how they throw it to him, he isn't coming up with it no matter what.

The coaches should be able to see what kind of attitude Mike shows up with. Hell, you can see it clearly on TV when he's in the "loaf" mode.
It's almost as if Tomlin needs to embarrass him during a game. Do the 'ol Billy Martin trick. Put him out on the field. Call a time-out (too bad we didn't have one to waste)....and pull him off and put Crotchery in. :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
His contract situation has gotten into his head - he was lucky to hold on to the catch on the last drive and is undependable

Whatever team pays franchise WR $$$$ to Wallace next year (and someone will) is taking a big risk

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
If the Steelers have already made up their mind on this guy, he might just end up taking 6- 7 mil a year for another AFC contender. The more I think about it, the more I see him with the Texans or Bengals - who don't really have a legitimate number 2.

Edman
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
The only thing Mike Wallace has going for him is his straight line speed and he's relying on that to get him places. You know what they say about players who rely too much on their athleticism instead of fine-tuning their craft, they don't last long. Once that Speed is gone, Wallace is done.

Wallace's pass-catching, route running, and technique is subpar, and that's on a good day.

Mike is well on his way to being a very average player from here on out.

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 09:23 AM
and if he catches 1 long bomb or 1 TD catch or both next week, the Wallace apologists will be back on here saying - "why would you want to get rid of one of the best threats in the league de derp and Brown will be doubled more da toe"

He has played just as well as Santana Moss - and our 4th produced just as much as he did last night. I'm serious - Cotchery catches almost everything thrown his way and that is after sitting for long stretches of time. I wouldn't wait another entire game if the drops continue. He is in fact entering the Tomlin's dog house realm and not soon enough.

"But he is on par for another 1000 yard season." Yea, and in 2009, the Steelers had a 1000 yard rusher and two 1000 yard receivers, and the T_E_A_M stunk. Wallace is making a nice middle of the road resume.

Show up or ship out Mr. 66 yards per game.

jiminpa
10-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Um, when was the last time Wallace outran anyone? He is still drawing double coverage because of how fast he used to be. He's not getting the ball deep because he's rarely open. Yeah, a little more film on him and he won't be drawing that double coverage anymore. I'd rather see Sanders and Cotchery out there. They catch the ball and make plays, and like Brown you have to give them cushion because they will fake you out of your jock and roll on down the field.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
This quote shows Wallace's attitude and why the Steelers are not going to pay him #1 receiver $$$$

Wide receiver Mike Wallace channeled Limas Sweed in dropping four passes, including a deflected throw in the end zone.

"I’ve made a lot of plays for my team," said Wallace, who had eight catches for 52 yards. "You can’t be good every week. Sometimes you have an off weekend. It was one of those for me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/65511/finishing-strong-has-to-be-steelers-mantra

You can't be good every week but you expect to be paid as if you are good every week?:noidea:

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd like to think the look on Tomlin's face is directed towards Wallace.

Where's the "I'm going for 2000 yards" attitude? Now he has settled for "Derp not gonna be good every week de tweetely I've made some plays durpy dumb."

TRH
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
This quote shows Wallace's attitude and why the Steelers are not going to pay him #1 receiver $$$$

Wide receiver Mike Wallace channeled Limas Sweed in dropping four passes, including a deflected throw in the end zone.

"I’ve made a lot of plays for my team," said Wallace, who had eight catches for 52 yards. "You can’t be good every week. Sometimes you have an off weekend. It was one of those for me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/65511/finishing-strong-has-to-be-steelers-mantra

You can't be good every week but you expect to be paid as if you are good every week?:noidea:

Larry Fitzgerald would never say that. Hell, Antonio Brown would never say that.
Just sayin'..........

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Larry Fitzgerald would never say that. Hell, Antonio Brown would never say that.
Just sayin'..........

Absolutely - when the truly great players screw up they admit they did not perform up to their standard of expecting to be the best everytime they step on the field - this quote sums up that mindset which Wallace has lost, assuming he ever had it

There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best. - Joe DiMaggio

Looks like Antonio Brown caught Hines Ward's work ethic while Wallace caught Santonio's attitude

nikstar
10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Although Mike Wallace had a subpar game with multiple drops I still think the Steelers should keep him next year, and even go as far as possibly using the franchise tag to do so. Losing Wallace makes this teams biggest asset into an above average one at best. The team goes from having three of the best wideouts in the game to being an "okay" offense. On a team with a shaky defense, and a suspect Oline, keeping our assets should be top priority. I don't think one game changes that.

Hawaii 5-0
10-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Mike Wallace was just channeling his inner Limas Sweed...:chuckle:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1b_wJojITp8/UBFDuSzXBMI/AAAAAAAAHLg/FuOSGM0pUzU/s1600/limas+sweed+dropped+pass.jpg

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Just sayin'..........

not only that, but fitzgerald would have made those catches, just sayin :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Tremendous speed + average hands is not the recipe for an elite receiver.
Add a dose of poor attitude and he's doing the writing on the wall that the Steeler brass will clearly see.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Stirring the Ben-Haley pot with quotes like this probably does not help either:chuckle:

"Ben's a big-play quarterback. He always wants to go for the big play, and he probably won't be happy any play he's not."

Wallace laughed as he said that, insisting that the "not happy" part was being "blown out of proportion." Then, very seriously, Wallace said, "I've bought in. The receivers have bought in. I think Ben's buying in."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000083824/article/pittsburgh-steelers-winning-formula-based-on-chemistry

tony hipchest
10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
m. kaboly notes that the steelers wr's have had 11 dropped passes all year. mike wallace has 5 (4 of which came last night).

body of evidence says that he does in fact NOT suck, but had a bad night.

BTSC has an article noting how despite the drops ben and arians kept dialing up wallace and kept him involved in the game. he was targeted more than any other wr. the system is coming around to him, and as he states, he has "bought in". he's due, and it will probably be huge. still plenty of season left to take the top off.

meanwhile seeing all the palm leaves waved in the direction of antonio brown, would suggest he has been forgiving for game losing fumbles, and dropped td pass of his own.

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 06:15 PM
m. kaboly notes that the steelers wr's have had 11 dropped passes all year. mike wallace has 5 (4 of which came last night).

BTSC has an article noting how despite the drops ben and arians kept dialing up wallace and kept him involved in the game. he was targeted more than any other wr. the system is coming around to him, and as he states, he has "bought in". he's due, and it will probably be huge. still plenty of season left to take the top off.

meanwhile seeing all the palm leaves waved in the direction of antonio brown, would suggest he has been forgiving for game losing fumbles, and dropped td pass of his own.

the difference between brown's bad game and wallace's, is all about attitude. brown plays to win, and even in a bad showing, he's giving 100% effort. I can't say the same about wallace, the dude doesn't have any heart.

yes he will have a big game here and there, but I don't care much for players who quit when things aren't going their way

Darkstorm05
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Conflicting stats. A quick search shows at least one stat listing him with 3 drops in the Eagles game alone. I know I've seen him drop more than one prior to this week, too...and know there were grumbles in the game threads about it. Don't know thee xact total, but it isn't 5...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-coach-kugler-mendenhall-boost-offensive-line-656656/

Curtain_of_Steel
10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes "The Standard " here is to suck at least 5 games in a row before you can wear the "I suck" name on your back of the jersey. Hence the great Ike "please help me" Taylor.

Wallace needs to man up before it gets out of hand. Taking responsibility and not following in Ike's footsteps would be a good start. Wallace did have about as bad a game as a WR can have. If you watch Wallace on run plays, he doesnt he get off the line and folds immediately.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 07:10 PM

If you do not report to camp because you wanted to be paid as one of the top receivers in football after even your agent apparently was telling you to report, expect some blowback when you have been playing below the standard since the middle of last season.

Kaboly apparently thinks catching the ball is not a requirement to get a big free agent payday

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Mike Wallace's drop aren't costing him a penny like some are suggesting. Speed trumps everything when it's all said and done.

Kaboly probably is right but I agree with Peter King that payday will not be coming from the Rooneys unless Wallace steps it up in the next 2 months

rich4eagle
10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Mike Wallace has blown it every game this year ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that why he needs to hold out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry this fast ass is making the case for being cut

tony hipchest
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Mike Wallace's drop aren't costing him a penny like some are suggesting. Speed trumps everything when it's all said and done.

Kaboly probably is right but I agree with Peter King that payday will not be coming from the Rooneys unless Wallace steps it up in the next 2 monthsi agree as well.

however, i dont think wallace is in the steelers long term plans ever since his money was given to antonio brown (money well spent).

as much TV money is coming in, the salary cap will still be frozen next season (and possibly a year after) and we will have much more pressing needs.

im confident manny sanders can step up to be number 2 and we will find another rookie like mike wallace (who replaced nate washington), antonio brown, victor cruz type player in the draft.

Atlanta Dan
10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Cap problems are definitely on the horizon - I agree Wallace does not fit

If Kaboly is correct that his level of play will not cost him then his only need is to avoid getting hurt this season - great

Hawaii 5-0
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I
Kaboly apparently thinks catching the ball is not a requirement to get a big free agent payday

okay, in that case then let's just let Wallace go and sign this guy to take his place:

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2012/08/09/Usain-Bolt-has-lost-all-respect-for-Carl-Lewis-TO21ONR9-x-large.jpg

steelfury02
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
okay, in that case then let's just let Wallace go and sign this guy to take his place:

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2012/08/09/Usain-Bolt-has-lost-all-respect-for-Carl-Lewis-TO21ONR9-x-large.jpg

yea, that one has too much ego now too lol - funny though

When you're drafting I'd assume you just can't predict how attitudes are going to evolve. Wallace seemed really humble is rookie season, and then it went down from there

TRH
10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Cap problems are definitely on the horizon - I agree Wallace does not fit

If Kaboly is correct that his level of play will not cost him then his only need is to avoid getting hurt this season - great

We'll never sign both Brown & Wallace.
The astronomical dollar amounts needed on the defensive side of the ball coming up in the very near future are going to be beyond huge.

OX1947
10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
There are plenty of good WR's in the NFL.

The kicker is that they aren't asking for 10 million a year like Wallace is.

No receiver is worth 10 million who isn't named Randy Moss in their prime or Jerry Rice. If you need proof, look at Fitz and Megatron. They can be neutralized because they need a QB to throw it to them. Stud receivers are a luxury not a necessity.

Hawaii 5-0
10-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Drops don’t shake Roethlisberger’s confidence in Wallace

Posted by Josh Alper on October 23, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-1016-e1351000821623.jpg?w=205

There are receivers around the NFL with reputations for not having the best hands.

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace isn’t one of them. He dropped a small number of passes in his first three seasons, helping him earn the trust of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the coaches in the process. It’s reasonable to wonder if that trust took a hit on Sunday night when Wallace dropped four passes against the Bengals.

The answer, from Roethlisberger, is that the confidence remains high in a player he targeted 15 times during the game.

“I don’t shy away from them even with drops,” Roethlisberger said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “I will always have confidence in them no matter what. These guys all hold themselves to a really high standard, and it just shows how valuable these guys are to our attack.:

Wallace is on pace for the most receptions of his NFL career, although he’s also on pace for the lowest yards per catch. Both things are also true of Antonio Brown, which would seem to support Roethlisberger’s belief that the offense run by offensive coordinator Todd Haley is longer on dinking and dunking than it is on the big plays that were formerly a staple of the Pittsburgh attack.

Should things continue this way, it will be interesting to see what impact it has on Wallace’s quest for a new long-term contract in Pittsburgh or somewhere else. We’d say the same about the drops except that we’re pretty sure that it won’t be a positive outcome for the wideout.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/23/drops-dont-shake-roethlisbergers-confidence-in-wallace/

BlaZeQuietly
10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Well if someone said "Ill either give you 7 million dollars or u can turn it down and go ask someone else if they will give you more, or you can try to talk me into giving you more" Id take the 7 million dollars not giving a shit if i coulda talked them up to 50 million! I wont make 7 million dollars in my entire life! greedy pricks these days. I bet he the type of rich arse who doesnt even donate anything to charity.

BowCatShot
10-24-2012, 06:20 AM
I thought that the reason Wallace didn't go to training camp was because he didn't have a contract. If he went and got hurt in training camp then the Steelers might not give him a contract, certainly not a lucrative one, and certainly nobody else would either. If that's the case then he was justified in holding out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bayz101
10-24-2012, 06:34 AM
I thought that the reason Wallace didn't go to training camp was because he didn't have a contract. If he went and got hurt in training camp then the Steelers might not give him a contract, certainly not a lucrative one, and certainly nobody else would either. If that's the case then he was justified in holding out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right. I talked about it here: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1006.html

Wallace had a shitty game, and if the trend continues he WILL be in trouble, but anything more than that is just an overreaction. I'm really disappointed in him, but i'm not ready to call for his demise.

rgj
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=ChristianKustomz;1040149better yet I bet you $50 he couldn't even catch aids! LMFAO!

[/QUOTE]

I find this statement to be totally offensive. I do hope that if and when you have a family member living with HIv/AIDS that you remember your callousness and sick sense of trying to find humor in the suffering of others.

Shame on you.

OX1947
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I find this statement to be totally offensive. I do hope that if and when you have a family member living with HIv/AIDS that you remember your callousness and sick sense of trying to find humor in the suffering of others.

Shame on you.

Relax! It was a figure of speech. Jesus, do people these days have to overreact to every damn word in the english language and turn it into the "what about those who live with...." reasonings.

Fire Arians
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Relax! It was a figure of speech. Jesus, do people these days have to overreact to every damn word in the english language and turn it into the "what about those who live with...." reasonings.

hey don't use the lord's name in vain or i will battle axe your ass into oblivion!

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Is Mike going to bleed black and Gold....no probably not....He's made it clear he is going to be more of a business man

I think we all need to cool down on the "Hate" for the guy...I know people get peeved or can't understand why all players wouldn't kill for the opportunity to be a Steeler.....but they don't....for some its more of a business/job

Now Im not saying people aren't justified in pointing out the fact that Mike hasn't performed consistently enough to warrant the contract money he's rumored to want.......

but I don't think you have to get all personal with it and labeling him the scourge of SteelerNation....He's not out there whining to the media complaining about what a terrible organization the Steelers are.....He hasn't made it personal yet....so I don't think we should either

ZoneBlitzer
10-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Having watched the game again, I noticed that those two early balls that Wallace dropped were absolute missiles from Ben. A good pro receiver should be able to catch those bullets.

Hawaii 5-0
10-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Wallace looking for the deep ball

10/25/2012
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/assets/8764766/10-25-steelers-instory.jpg

PITTSBURGH – Mike Wallace’s name had become synonymous with big plays in his first three NFL seasons.

But with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s emphasis on a short-passing game, the big plays have been few and far between for the Steelers’ big-play wide receiver.

That could change Sunday when the Steelers (3-3) host the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins (3-4) have given up 17 pass plays of 25 or more yards, which is good news for Wallace, who is averaging only 13.7 yards per catch – far below his career average of 18.7.

“Yeah, definitely,” said Wallace when asked if he was looking forward to the possibility of making some big plays against the Redskins. “You take all the big plays you can get. But you also have to look at the plays that they make as well. You can’t just think you’re going to go at them when they’re out there picking the ball off and getting fumbles.”

While Washington is giving up plenty of big plays and passing yards (340.4 per game) the Redskins also are forcing plenty of turnovers. Washington is plus-7 in turnover ratio, thanks to a defense that has 10 interceptions, returning four for touchdowns.

“I don’t look at them as giving up big plays or the opportunity for big plays,” said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I look at them as being a takeaway machine. They take away the ball. They score on defense. To me, that’s something I have to keep my eyes on more than the big play being available.”

Still, the Steelers would like to take some shots deep with Wallace, who has a Steelers’ record 12 touchdown catches of 40 or more yards from Roethlisberger.

And coming off a game in which he dropped three passes, Wallace is looking for redemption.

“It’s one game. I feel like I’ll come back in a big way,” Wallace said. “I’m not down or anything like that. I had a bad game.

“Sometimes I try to run a little too early and take my eyes off the ball. I feel like I have it in my hands and try to turn and run. I just have to make sure I have it in my hands. You can’t run without the ball.”

Despite the three drops in Pittsbrugh’s 24-17 win at Cincinnati, Wallace had eight receptions, matching his career high. But those receptions went for only 52 yards – not the kind of production the Steelers are looking for from a receiver who had 15 passes thrown his way.

“I don’t shy away from them, even with drops,” Roethlisberger said. “I will always have confidence in them no matter what.”

And Wallace says the big plays are coming, if not this week, then in the coming weeks, as the players become more comfortable with the offense.

“Of course, I would want more opportunities,” Wallace said of the deep passes. “But we’re doing good as a team doing what we’re doing. As long as we’re winning and build and go in the right direction, we’re fine.

“I think Coach Haley is slowly but surely opening it up a little more. It’s still early in the season. He’s still figuring out the players that he has. Even though he saw us on film, you never know the guys until you get working with them. I think every week he’s learning more and giving us more opportunities. I think this week we’ll get a couple more.”

Odds and end zones

Coming off a career-high 122- yard rushing game against the Bengals in his first career start, running back Jonathan Dwyer was not at practice Wednesday because of personal issues. … Also sitting out Wednesday were running backs Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles tendon) and Isaac Redman (ankle), offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) and linebacker Jason Worild (illness). … Center Maurkice Pouncey and linebacker Chris Carter, both of whom missed the game Sunday, were full participants.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-25-steelers-wallace

Hawaii 5-0
10-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Steelers notebook: Wallace ready to move on

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Friday, October 26, 2012

Mike Wallace has put together some impressive numbers during his career. But his career-high four drops against the Bengals nearly got into his head.

Wallace is convinced he remedied the situation in preparing to face the Washington Redskins on Sunday at Heinz Field.

“I’m upset it happened, but you can’t dwell on it too much because it’ll roll over to the next game,” Wallace said. “I’m good about it now because I caught everything in practice this week to get it off my back.”

Wallace has gone back to the basics. He spent the week polishing his routes and using his eyes to the watch the ball in before tucking it away. He challenged cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis to help sharpen his focus.

Still, he’s perplexed about his uninspired performance against the Bengals.

“I don’t know what happened,” he said. “It was kind of a snowball effect. I took my eyes off the first one, and I had hard time shaking it off.”

‘NEW’ REDSKINS

Steelers safety Ryan Clark will hardly recognize the Redskins: Only two players — tight end Chris Cooley and receiver Santana Moss — remain on the Washington roster since he left after the 2005 season.

“They were the only two. It’s been a long time,” Clark said. “It would be cool to see those guys. It’s not the same team though as when I left. This is the Steelers versus the new Redskins. It’s going to be a challenge.”

The Steelers won, 23-6, in the teams’ last meeting in 2008. Clark sat out that game with an injured shoulder. He’ll get his chance to face down Moss, a deep threat for rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

“When I was there, (Moss) was the guy,” Clark said. “He was our No. 1 option. He was in the prime of his career.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2819997-85/wallace-redskins-clark-steelers-career-bengals-washington-week-team-moss#ixzz2AW1opngw

Rowland2110
10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Wallace dropped passes today: 2 Over/under

Im going with over.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Wallace dropped passes today: 2 Over/under

Im going with over.

I'll go with the under, Wallace is going to come up big today.

Lady Steel
10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I like to give credit where credit is due. So far so good for Wallace. :tt: Hope he keeps it up.

ChristianKustomz
10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I still think Wallace should be replaced and isn't worth the money they are paying him!

PhantomJB93
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. I still think Wallace should be replaced and isn't worth the money they are paying him!

Well currently, he's not being paid very much at all, so I don't think he's that worthless :chuckle:

Seriously though, I would still re-sign him for the right price (which probably won't happen since somebody will overpay), that price being the same or less than AB's contract. Unless he really breaks out over the second half of the season, he has shown he's not worth a huge deal.

One thing I think is very underrated is his touchdown numbers right now. No, he's not making the splash plays we were used to seeing from him over the past 2 years, but he is still the only wide receiver finding the endzone with any consistency, and I'm afraid to see what will happen without him.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Mike Wallace is well worth the $2.7 million we are paying him this season.

GMU Steeler
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice game today Mike. Still think we extended the right guy though.

fer522
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Well currently, he's not being paid very much at all, so I don't think he's that worthless :chuckle:

Seriously though, I would still re-sign him for the right price (which probably won't happen since somebody will overpay), that price being the same or less than AB's contract. Unless he really breaks out over the second half of the season, he has shown he's not worth a huge deal.

One thing I think is very underrated is his touchdown numbers right now. No, he's not making the splash plays we were used to seeing from him over the past 2 years, but he is still the only wide receiver finding the endzone with any consistency, and I'm afraid to see what will happen without him.

How about Miller time!!!!!!

PhantomJB93
10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
How about Miller time!!!!!!

I know Miller has been awesome but I would still feel comfortable seeing some more TD production from the wide receivers other than Wallace. They're all great moving the chains down the field but Ben never seems to find them to put points on the board.

ETL
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I know Miller has been awesome but I would still feel comfortable seeing some more TD production from the wide receivers other than Wallace. They're all great moving the chains down the field but Ben never seems to find them to put points on the board.

I don't care if Legursky scores the TDs. I just want TDs instead of FGs if we are in the red zone.

steeltheone
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM
iF 7 for 62 and no td's is what you except out of your so called " all star " against back up corners....so be it!

TRH
10-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Nice game today Mike. Still think we extended the right guy though.

Yep. You're right.

Wallace is GOOD....but just that. Good. He's a very good receiver. Unfortunately, he's not a mega-superstar, or even a superstar, for that matter.

SteelHaven
10-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I love this thread. Not that because I don't want Wallace to do good.. Wallace has has proven that he's average in a contract year so I think we can sign someone on the defensive side of the ball rather than him

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
wallace = soft

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 07:48 PM
There he goes again. Can someone tell me why we bought Wallace? He's over rated and can't catch or hold onto te ball to save his life!

cubanstogie
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
because he is fast

OX1947
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Him and that (bleep) idiot, moron dumb (bleep)!!!!!! Colon who make the same (bleep) mistakes every (bleep) game. Mental (bleep) midgets.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
What good is being fast of you can't catch the ball and when he actually does he drops it?

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Nonsense. I'm not sure how often Wallace fumbles, but I'm only, oh, say, 100% sure he doesn't fumble the ball every time he catches it.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Wallace sucks and we should fire him next year! Every game this year he has a consistency of dropping passes and and turn overs on between the times he doesn't catch the ball. Can someone tell me why we are paying millions again? He costs us too much and he is too much of a liability when the game is on the line! He is UNDEPENDABLE!

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry...1 out of 20 he catches. Your right. He catches a few every hundred throws.

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm not even sure that true
Are you just making numbers up
To my memory that's his first fumble all year...

Millers the sh!t
11-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Wallace sucks. The reward ain't worth the risk. He's costs us more points than he's gained us this season.

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Yea, that's an empirically supportable claim, he's only caught more touchdowns than the rest of our WR combined, maybe we can go back in time and pass him up in the draft.

ChristianKustomz
Wallace sucks. The reward ain't worth the risk. He's costs us more points than he's gained us this season.

You said it all right there. We could end the thread now with just that! Give the Ravems Wallace. Wallace is inconsistent and UNDEPENDABLE! He's useless in my opinion and we'd be better off without him!

Fire Arians
fitz money for fitz production, and we ain't getting that. bye bye

Hawaii 5-0
11-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Wallace sucks and we should fire him next year! Every game this year he has a consistency of dropping passes and and turn overs on between the times he doesn't catch the ball. Can someone tell me why we are paying millions again? He costs us too much and he is too much of a liability when the game is on the line! He is UNDEPENDABLE!

we're not paying him that much this year, in fact it can be easily argued that Mike Wallace has far outperformed his contract to this point.

Millers the sh!t
11-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Yea, that's an empirically supportable claim, he's only caught more touchdowns than the rest of our WR combined, maybe we can go back in time and pass him up in the draft.

What do you mean "Maybe"?

Wallace can run faster than light. According to physicist when u approach speeds faster than light, time slows down and starts to reverse.

So,

Wallace can run back to the second half of last season and pull his head out of his Ass.

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Wallace just caught a 9 yarder. He should be publicly chastised for not cartwheeling to a first down

Bayz101
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
What do you mean "Maybe"?

Wallace can run faster than light. According to physicist when u approach speeds faster than light, time slows down and starts to reverse.

So,

Wallace can run back to the second half of last season and pull his head out of his Ass.

:rofl:

Bayz101
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Wallace just caught a 9 yarder. He should be publicly chastised for not cartwheeling to a first down

http://www.kcconfidential.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Crying+Baby+Natural+High+for+Some+Moms.jpg

Millers the sh!t
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Yep, that 9 yarder makes up for the fumble and points for the ravens. Good call bro.

austinfrench76
11-18-2012, 08:59 PM
That fumble hurt us bad but he's a helluva player. Last year in pitt but a very good player. He needs to atone in the 2nd half!

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
:kick:

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
he's not even worth franchise tag money. let him walk

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Wallace reminds me of Craftsman tools...it looks great but fails when you need it and not worth the money you spent on it in the first place.

3rdandlong
11-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Anyone else notice that Wallace doesn't get open that much? Since Brown went down I've noticed the receivers don't get open nearly as much. Wallace wants 12 million a year, huh? He's barely worth $6 million right now. His only thing is that he can beat you deep.

steelfury02
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
If I were Haley I might throw in a similar play to Wallace - hopefully we can at least get field position out of it:noidea:

Cold Steel
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't know about that one. I mean he has caught 1 ball out of 9 passes before the first half of the bengals game. Look at it this way...how many times can he really drop a perfectly thrown pass...right in the bread basket? He sucks this year! Just like our defense! Just like our receivers...anything else...oh yeah...Screw the Ravens!

Your right about everything else.But the Defense "Comon Man" 1st in the League!:kick:

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I retract my statement about the defense. That was made during the beginning season when they were doing terribly. They have gotten much better and are impressing me more and more. It's our offense that needs help.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
FITZ would have made that catch. just saying

big time players make big time plays

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Ha ha ha. Wallace sucks so bad even when he does catch the ball he's out of bounds!

What a tool!

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
You know he's bad when he can catch the ball out of bounds but not inbounds.

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 10:16 PM
In seriousness, the half assed effort on that low pass from Leftwich was pathetic

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
He's pathetic. I am so sick of him and watching dropped pass after dropped pass. That and the penalties.

mikegrimey
11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I fear your imagination has gone wild w the penalties

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Well we can thank Wallace for costing us the game. That play that allowed Baltimore to get a field goal pretty much says it all...bench that loser. It would have been a tie game if not for another Wallace screw up. I am going to bed tonight in disgust. I'll have to hear more sh** from ravens fans tomorrow.

STOP PLAYING WALLACE! BRING IN SOMEONE WHO CAN CATCH THE DA**BALL!!!

FacemeIke
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Wallace wont be back next year. Shitty efforts on the low pass and the fade and the fumble early on. For a supposed #1 he's doesn't get seperation from the DB very often

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Its official. Another game where Wallace cost us a win! Well we can thank Wallace for costing us the game. That play that allowed Baltimore to get a field goal pretty much says it all...bench that loser. It would have been a tie game if not for another Wallace screw up. I am going to bed tonight in disgust. I'll have to hear more sh** from ravens fans tomorrow.

steelersfan77
11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
We probably lose the giants game without Wallace. He's not going to get paid by the Steelers but at least we can support him the rest of the way.

fate0521
11-18-2012, 10:43 PM
wallace = soft

he soff

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/michel-therrien.jpg?w=320

Lady Steel
11-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Wallace is a fraud.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Its official. Another game where Wallace cost us a win! Well we can thank Wallace for costing us the game. That play that allowed Baltimore to get a field goal pretty much says it all...bench that loser. It would have been a tie game if not for another Wallace screw up. I am going to bed tonight in disgust. I'll have to hear more sh** from ravens fans tomorrow.

well without brown we're missing our true #1, cause 'that guy' isn't wallace that's for damn sure. he lost us more games than won them this year. big time players make a difference in a positive way

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Agreed!

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
this thread sucks.

Wallace reminds me of Craftsman tools...it looks great but fails when you need it and not worth the money you spent on it in the first place.

your threads kinda remind me of a craftsman TOOL.

tony hipchest
11-18-2012, 11:29 PM
i see some people buying into the commentary chris collisnworth spoonfeeds the nation in this thread.

...and here i thought nobody listens to collinsworthless. :rolleyes:

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm done with Wallace. He got jammed a couple times tonight and instead of fighting through it and burning his man he slapped at the defender and acted soft. Not to mention his costly fumble, that killed our momentum.

Play out the season, wish him luck and move on with two extremely solid WR's in Brown and Sanders. Use his money to add a stud linebacker or D-lineman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
In seriousness, the half assed effort on that low pass from Leftwich was pathetic

I'll agree with this. Got go go down and get that ball. Leftwich threw a crappy pass to a wide open guy and the WR's effort was as bad as the pass.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Typical response from you.

Still doesn't change the fact he cost us the game and has cost us major plays this entire season.

TRH
11-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Wallace is making a good case for a pay CUT.

Doesn't he see more and more CASH just slipping away through his hands in nearly every game now?

lardlad
11-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Wallace wont be back next year. Shitty efforts on the low pass and the fade and the fumble early on. For a supposed #1 he's doesn't get seperation from the DB very often

You know I don't think I cam be as hard on Wallace as many people have been but that non-effort on that one-hopper pass was disappointing. The drops are concerning, but when he does things that appears he doesn't try, really bothers me.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Who remembers Wallace dropping the ball in the endzone during the Green Bay Superbowl game? I do.

TRH
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll agree with this. Got go go down and get that ball. Leftwich threw a crappy pass to a wide open guy and the WR's effort was as bad as the pass.

i completely agree.
The pass from Leftwich was pathetic, at best.
The effort from Wallace to even TRY to catch it was just as poor.

Looked like 2 dummies out there. Hell, even a high school player would have made some kind of effort to catch that thing.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Who remembers Wallace dropping the ball in the endzone during the Green Bay Superbowl game? I do.

players that demand money better win games for us. so far this season, he's had his hand in more losing efforts than winning efforts

emmanuel sanders led in receiving yards. pay wallace? yeah right.

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:39 PM
And then it hit me. Without Wallace, we lost the Kansas City game. We also lost the Giants game.

Fuck it. Can't hate the guy.

Bayz101
11-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Here's my opinion: We lost by three, Wallace gave them that three points. I've been saying for four weeks now, that unless he turns on the Jets, there's no way he'll be able to prove he's worth anything above 8 million dollars. He can't prove himself this regular season. Not even with a 200 yard performance. He needs to show up in the playoffs, and we'll need Ben and Brown to GET us there.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:41 PM
And then it hit me. Without Wallace, we lost the Kansas City game. We also lost the Giants game.

Fuck it. Can't hate the guy.

I'm sorry but if this guy is asking for fitz money he better start taking over games like how fitz did when warner was his qb.

he doesn't do that. he's an average wr with good speed. antonio brown is our best WR and I'd like anyone try to argue he isn't. wallace is nothing more than nate washington v2

his biggest role in this offense is being a DECOY. does that demand 12 million? i dunno, probably not :chuckle:

that PI call, would that have been caught if there was no interference? I bet money he would have alligator armed that shit.

austinfrench76
11-18-2012, 11:42 PM
He just seems lazy this year. In the past he seemed like he played with a chip on his shoulder. Now he's a diva who is too good to reach for balls. Just lazy. Gone next year anyways. And when the hell did he develop a fumbling problem?!?!?!?!?

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Not elite, inconsistent, questionable effort at times, doesn't deserve the pay day, not from us at least.

Totally fine with AB and Sanders as our WR core for a long time moving ahead

casteeler
11-18-2012, 11:51 PM
The Steelers can save some money and cut the following players in the off season. Wallace,Leftwich and Mendenhall in addition Troy can retire and open a roster spot.

SteelersCanada
11-18-2012, 11:52 PM
How many different ways can you say ...

scapegoat!

Wallace isn't the problem.

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:54 PM

scapegoat!

he's not the problem but he's also no help. I don't care for his level of effort at all for the money he's asking. let his ass walk

i'd rather have players like sanders and cotch who at least appear like they want to win

teegre
11-18-2012, 11:55 PM

scapegoat!

Exactly. Byron Leftwich should have drug his feet on that TD... wait... uh...

Fire Arians
11-18-2012, 11:57 PM
anyone think wallace deserves more money than AB?

Terminator
11-18-2012, 11:58 PM

Based on this year alone, no. Not at all.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Based on this year alone, no. Not at all.

This year and last year. AB was our team MVP, not Wallace

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Antonio Brown is also much more effective when it comes to YAC. If Wallace isn't wide open, he goes down almost immediately.

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
he's not the problem but he's also no help. I don't care for his level of effort at all for the money he's asking. let his ass walk

i'd rather have players like sanders and cotch who at least appear like they want to win

We're not using him properly. It's like having a Lamborghini and driving the speed limit with your hands at 10 and 2. Even with Roethlisberger, we're not letting him go deep and letting him make plays on the ball - something he's shown he can do time and time again. He's also shown he can play the underneath routes and turn a dump off into a 51 yard touchdown.

While Haley's offense is the best thing to happen to Roethlisberger, adjustments need to be made to adapt to Wallace. We have the fastest guy in the NFL and he's not going on deep routes, even when he was single coverage. No one can keep up with him one-on-one but we insist on ignoring our top speed target. Ben has a hell of an arm, and I think a lot of us are forgetting that. We need to use Wallace more efficiently to start scoring points. Let Sanders, Brown and Heath worry about the underneath stuff - Wallace has to go deep.

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:03 AM

No.

And, I mentioned this elsewhere: use that $11 million to resign Sanders and Wallace's best friend (Keenan Lewis).

Sanders: $4 million per year
Lewis: $8 million per year

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
No.

And, I mentioned this elsewhere: use that $11 million to resign Sanders and Wallace's best friend (Keenan Lewis).

Sanders: $4 million per year
Lewis: $8 million per year

8 million might be pushing it.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
We're not using him properly. It's like having a Lamborghini and driving the speed limit with your hands at 10 and 2. Even with Roethlisberger, we're not letting him go deep and letting him make plays on the ball - something he's shown he can do time and time again. He's also shown he can play the underneath routes and turn a dump off into a 51 yard touchdown.

While Haley's offense is the best thing to happen to Roethlisberger, adjustments need to be made to adapt to Wallace. We have the fastest guy in the NFL and he's not going on deep routes, even when he was single coverage. No one can keep up with him one-on-one but we insist on ignoring our top speed target. Ben has a hell of an arm, and I think a lot of us are forgetting that. We need to use Wallace more efficiently to start scoring points. Let Sanders, Brown and Heath worry about the underneath stuff - Wallace has to go deep.

That is a very good point.

Wallace had a beautiful touchdown against the Titans.

And I've been reminded again tonight that we actually lost to the Titans. :banging:

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
8 seems a little high for Keenan, I really think he's developing into a star right in front of us, but I'd try and get some value out of a long term deal. Start at $4mil and go from there

steelbelieve
11-19-2012, 12:06 AM

I will tell you that when that play is reviewed in front of the whole offense tomorrow, it will garnish stares in Mike's direction.

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Typical response from you.

Still doesn't change the fact he cost us the game and has cost us major plays this entire season.

you might wanna check yourself before you go calling anyone else out...

your "typical responses" include calling our canadian members homos for nothing more than being canadian, calling out half the voting public for the electoral vote they cast, and denigrating anyone with a disability to slam a football player you dont like.

like they say, "check yourself before you wreck yourself".

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 12:11 AM
i completely agree.
The pass from Leftwich was pathetic, at best.
The effort from Wallace to even TRY to catch it was just as poor.

Looked like 2 dummies out there. Hell, even a high school player would have made some kind of effort to catch that thing.

this is where I say, we should already know going into this game that we are using our 2nd string qb. players need to all step it up a notch and try to win us this game.

did wallace? no, he did his usual half ass. i don't want players who don't want to win.

Terminator
11-19-2012, 12:12 AM
I can't imagine the guys in the locker room are happy with Wallace right now. The guy skipped all of summer training and pre-season, then half-asses a lot of games now. Although he made some big plays this year, I agree he has fucked up a lot. He blew SO many plays in that Bengals game.

Bayz101
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM

That is not true. I have watched Wallace go deep in man coverage and fail to get ahead of the coverage SEVERAL times. Ben ends up scrambling to make up for Wallace's inability to beat the coverage and either takes a sack or finds Brown/Sanders for a first.

teegre
11-19-2012, 12:18 AM
8 million might be pushing it.

I honestly think two things:

1) $8 million actually about right. A #1 starting CB gets between $9-$13 million. A good #2 gets about $6-$9 million.

2) I think Keenan is only going to get better, and thus, $8 million will (eventually) be a bargain.

ChristianKustomz
11-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Let's talk football and leave the personal attacks out of it.

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 12:23 AM
That is not true. I have watched Wallace go deep in man coverage and fail to get ahead of the coverage SEVERAL times. Ben ends up scrambling to make up for Wallace's inability to beat the coverage and either takes a sack or finds Brown/Sanders for a first.

In double coverage, absolutely. I'm not asking the ball to go to Wallace every time, but he just doesn't lose in single coverage. Every time a CB plays press against Wallace he has Safety help over the top because they just can't handle his speed one-on-one and he's open more times than he's not. I'm not saying Haley's scheme is ineffective, but we have a flashy toy and we're not using it.

Wallace doesn't lose one-on-one, and commands the attention of double teams. Every time a team decides to play man, they always have Safeties over the top as extra protection against the deep ball. When he's in single coverage and gets a jump on the CB, he doesn't lose. He's just too fast.

tony hipchest
11-19-2012, 12:31 AM
i dont think the low pass to wallace was even catchable.

so far, everybody is basing this on chris collinsworths words and his vantage point a mile away in the booth, plus a single camera angle on TV.

collisnworth also thought wallace coulda got both feet down in the endzone (which he clearly couldnt).

as for his fumble, it SUCKED!

but whatever happened to giving the defense credit for being in the perfect spot at the perfect time and making a perfect play?

it was swatted out in less than a second that it takes to pull it in and secure it. it shoulda been a first down but that shit happens sometimes.

this game loss was an equal opportunity employer. offense, special teams, and defense all own a part of it.

steelbelieve
11-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Pertaining to his sloppy, careless non-catch in the end zone:

"It was close," Wallace said. "I couldn't look down to see where my feet were because I was looking for the ball."

Well, jackarse, you were running a corner end zone route and you caught the ball in the back corner of the end zone; so what would any NFL caliber wide receiver recommend you do in that situation: DRAG YOUR FEET STUPID!

ZoneBlitzer
11-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Back to Wallace...I've said it before but I don't think he's much of a natural receiver. There's an awkwardness to his play. His hands are average at best. Even on tonight's fumble he failed to secure the ball correctly. He's also generally poor after the catch.

If they could keep him at a massively reduced rate, I'd say let him stay because he is still a solid decoy, but if he wants big money, then forget it - he's just not a premiere number one receiver.

lloydwoodson
11-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Really? Hmmm perhaps you should go back and check your own self. I never called anyone a homo and if memory serves me correctly I made an off color joke about Obama destroying my team colors and you jumped right on it by name calling. On 99% of your responses here you are very intense and aggressive. You jump all over me and others and yet your the one starting a lot of personal attacks on people. Your and admin so who can hold you accountable...no one. So I think that's calling the kettle black. I'm not walking on eggs shells around you so be real. Don't thread jack my post and bring up something from another post you didn't agree with and misquote me and what was actually said. Im just calling it like I see it. Let's talk football and leave the personal attacks out of it.

You are the one who doesn't keep the conversation on football. I don't like you because you have made defamatory comments towards members of this board by calling them homosexuals. You should try to be on the correct side of the latest civil rights movement.

I also do not know which Steelers players you do like. I do know that you dislike Wallace, Haley and the entire defense.

Tony can be very direct at times but I find his insight very helpful and I haven't seen the mods here ban people unnecessarily. I am sure you are the next one on the chopping block and I personally feel your removal from this forum would be appropriate because you show the Steelers about as much love as a Bengals fan.

tony hipchest
Really? Hmmm perhaps you should go back and check your own self. I never called anyone a homo and if memory serves me correctly I made an off color joke about Obama destroying my team colors and you jumped right on it by name calling. On 99% of your responses here you are very intense and aggressive. You jump all over me and others and yet your the one starting a lot of personal attacks on people. Your and admin so who can hold you accountable...no one. So I think that's calling the kettle black. I'm not walking on eggs shells around you so be real. Don't thread jack my post and bring up something from another post you didn't agree with and misquote me and what was actually said. Im just calling it like I see it. Let's talk football and leave the personal attacks out of it.you calling me a liar?

dont make me pull up and re-post all your previous transgressions, because i think you have already been humiliated enough.

:coffee:

MACH1
yippee another Wallace thread

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to make that kind of catch while being hit? This Mike Wallace hate is getting unreal. We didn't lose because of Mike Wallace - we lost because our offense played like shit. As a complete unit, the offense played like total garbage. Dropped balls, bad throws, poor offensive line play and suspect playcalling lead to a loss.

Who could have seen that coming?

Bayz101
11-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Merged multiple threads. I'm as pissed off at Wallace as anyone, but having three or four threads on one player being discussed all at the same time is a little crazy. :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-19-2012, 01:20 AM
But Wallace is fast. Right, People...? People?

Steeldude
11-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Too many drops to remember :chuckle:

StainlessStill
11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
I guess Wallace's term of "finesse" earlier in the week consists of a lost fumble, piss-poor lazy instincts to actually make an attempt at a diving catch at his feet & not knowing where his feet are hitting on a nice fade-ball. Yep, that's finesse alright.

StainlessStill
11-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to make that kind of catch while being hit? This Mike Wallace hate is getting unreal. We didn't lose because of Mike Wallace - we lost because our offense played like shit. As a complete unit, the offense played like total garbage. Dropped balls, bad throws, poor offensive line play and suspect playcalling lead to a loss.

You point out the "dropped balls, bad throws, poor offensive line play and suspect play-calling that led to a loss" but you want to give Mike Wallace the benefit of the doubt? You DO know he fumbled in our own end that resulted in a Ravens FG, right?

How many points did we lose by again?

TRH
11-19-2012, 07:42 AM

I understand your point - but other high-profile receivers in this league DO make catches like that, even when hit. They also put forth a much, much better effort (for example on the pass late in the game that Wallace didn't even try to catch).

Certainly the loss wasn't Wallace's fault and i think the "hate" on Wallace may a bit overboard.
But is clear : Brown is the better guy to have out there - and Wallace just isn't one of the league's best. He's a very good player. But i wouldn't go anywhere beyond that.

ColoradoSteelerFan
11-19-2012, 08:07 AM
His crappy effort is hurting the Steelers but in the end he is really hurting himself far more. He knows the Steelers aren't going to be interested in keeping him, so each week is really a tryout for other teams. As we have seen...dude is worth about 1/2 what he wants...and even at that the team that gives him it will probably be paying too much.

We can only hope he helps more than he hurts the rest of the way and then happily slam the door on him at the end of the season.

ColoradoSteelerFan
11-19-2012, 08:12 AM

True...but the fumble was pathetic...which lead to 3 pts...and remind me again what they lost by?

Obviously the entire offense must be blamed more than just Wallace. But, big time players step up in games like that and, once again, Wallace failed to...and actually helped aid the losing effort.

beer72
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm still a huge Wallace fan and supporter... Yea he made some mistakes last night...but the biggest mistake was Tomlin not doing a QB change..Huge mistake lefty was clearly hurt

Darkstorm05
11-19-2012, 09:48 AM
As others have said, Wallace is a solid WR, a good #2 option, but that's about it. The fumble was bad, but it's hard to tell if he failed to secure it, or if he didn't have time to do so. Watching the play again I can't really tell if he ever even had total control.

The pass at his feet...yea, he should have at least went to the ground for it. In that situation you have to. If he had, I still doubt he could have caught it. At least it would keep it out of the arguments, though. I honestly wouldn't offer him more than 5 mil a year. I'd make Sanders the same offer at this point.

madtowndrunkard
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
What happened to Wallace? A couple years ago he was awesome... defenses could not stop him. Now he's going through the motions...he's not the same WR that is for sure.

Stairway to 7
11-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Tired of him, he's lazy and he plays scared. He won't fight for the ball, he won't reach out and get it either, if the pass is not perfect he drops it too often.

To me he's done what a lot of kids do, they fight to get somewhere, then they arrive, and their true colors come out, he's a guy that wants to be paid and slack off, no way I pay him. If you give this guy a big contract, he will disappear.

He isn't the same receiver because in his mind his job is done, he made himself a starter, and now he wants to get paid. That's all he's in football for.

Watch him play, he's trying to look after himself, that's all it's about with him, he wants to avoid contact if at all possible, and get paid. That's it.

steeltheone
11-19-2012, 10:54 AM
We should check the archives of topics to see which people on this board wanted to give Wallace big bucks not so long ago.

Fire Arians
11-19-2012, 11:16 AM
he's now Mike "Alligator Arms" Wallace :chuckle:

nj1923steelgirl
11-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Time for him to go if he wants a ton of money!

SteelersCanada
11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
You're (and by you're, I mean everyone else in this thread) is operating under the assumption that Wallace will still command a high market in free agency, or one that will be willing (keep this word in mind) to sign Mikey to a "big" contract. This is a 'what have you done for me lately' driven league, and he hasn't been performing up to his potential all year so far. This can be credited to different things, but teams aren't going to be signing a guy to a 5 year / 65+ million dollar deal when he's not making big plays.

Whether it's warranted or not, there's a lot of criticism of Wallace right now. How many teams out there are going to take a chance and offer a more lucrative deal to Wallace that the Steelers couldn't a) match or b) beat? Sure, we can make jokes about the Raiders or Jets would, but those are teams that need quarterbacks and need defensive playmakers more than a fast wide receiver.

edit - My guess is he'll take a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal (both were rumored numbers in training camp) this time around. They'll also offer him more guaranteed money, the only thing keeping Wallace from signing that deal. He never wanted Fitzgerald money because he knew he wouldn't get it. People will rag on the mainstream media about Haley and Ben's feud, but will quote the shit out of it when saying Mike wanted Larry's money. It doesn't make any sense and the double standard here is ridiculous. He hasn't been putting up the same kind of numbers, but he's still learning the playbook and adjusting his game.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders are the future of this team.

TRH
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
You're (and by you're, I mean everyone else in this thread) is operating under the assumption that Wallace will still command a high market in free agency, or one that will be willing (keep this word in mind) to sign Mikey to a "big" contract. This is a 'what have you done for me lately' driven league, and he hasn't been performing up to his potential all year so far. This can be credited to different things, but teams aren't going to be signing a guy to a 5 year / 65+ million dollar deal when he's not making big plays.

Whether it's warranted or not, there's a lot of criticism of Wallace right now. How many teams out there are going to take a chance and offer a more lucrative deal to Wallace that the Steelers couldn't a) match or b) beat? Sure, we can make jokes about the Raiders or Jets would, but those are teams that need quarterbacks and need defensive playmakers more than a fast wide receiver.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders are the future of this team.

oh yes they will. You can bet your a** and take it to the bank that the foolish-spending-teams such as the Bills, Bengals, Dolphins, etc, etc, etc, etc will STILL pony up the money.
The shrewd and wickedly smart franchises such as the Steelers, Patriots, Packers will be the ones that will likely pass.
Wallace will sign elsewhere.