PDA

View Full Version : Nice win, but who has nightmares about versing RG3 next weekend?

steelers33
10-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Can see him running past Larry Foote already..

SteelCurtain5643
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
not really all too worried, he saw a great D today and look what happend, we'll be alright

3rdandlong
10-21-2012, 10:52 PM
not really all too worried, he saw a great D today and look what happend, we'll be alright

We're hardly a great D

Fire Arians
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
at home i don't fear the redskins much

pittpete
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Think he was talking about the Giants

TheVet
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM
We will be singing to RG3 next week?

StainlessStill
10-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I said the same thing about A.J Greene going into tonight. The Steelers soundly beat Cincy tonight. I, for one, am utterly SHOCKED that A.J Greene was shut down. I was expecting him to go over 100 early in the game. He was shutdown tonight by Ike in his worst season.

AgentGold007
10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Lol, "versing RG3"? .... But anyway, RG3 hasn't done enough in this league for me to have nightmares about him. I feel good about this match-up.

Steel_Bus_24
10-21-2012, 11:29 PM
The Steelers haven't shown any consistency this year....so until they do, Im not going to feel comfortable about any game/player

Plus...we're still a banged up bunch....we gutted one out against the bengals but the backups are backups for a reason.

BlaZeQuietly
10-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I watched the giants skins game today and came to the conclusion that all the skins have is rg3, and thats why theyre record is what it is (3-4?) something like that, I don't think the steelers are such a bad team were going to let a single player defeat us, if we focus and shutting him down (as someone else said like we did green tonight) we will force the skins to try to use their other weapons which really isnt much, and I think we will put up an easy 20 something points against them, meanwhile not allowing 20 something points.... for a score in this game I see well, lets say 24-17 steelers. rg3 134 yrds passing 60 yrds rushing 1 passing td 1 rushing td 1 int . mean while big ben will probably plop out 2 passing touchdowns throw for 270 and throw 1 int. sorry for the ridiculously detailed prediction but thats just what i see happening

BlaZeQuietly
10-22-2012, 12:19 AM
seems like theres a lot of new yorkers on here steeler nation sure stretches far, I wonder what there is more of in new york more steelers fans or more homosexuals. (steelers fans that are homosexuals do not count as they would cancel each other out anyways)( p.s I am not a bigot, just a thought.) I highly doubt there have been any surverys conducted on this the world may never know.... im thinking more homosexuals but idk I do see lots of steelers apparel as I walk down the street, then again not all homosexuals wear purple sunglasses with star frames....

PhantomJB93
10-22-2012, 12:43 AM
I watch RG3 every week (I live in Skins territory). The dude is legit. He always makes a play when they need him to and has been ridiculously clutch. I have seen some rookie mistakes but not nearly as many as I would have expected from any rookie. I thought Cam Newton was amazing for a rookie last year but I think RG3 is on a whole different level.

Our defense looked better today but I'm not sure how well we'll be able to contain him. He really has looked like Michael Vick without the mistakes. I can tell you for sure if their offense struggles at all it will be the fault of the receivers, Alfred Morris is a wrecking ball and RG3 doesn't make many bad throws. Their receivers have been the only thing holding them back from being a top offense, so maybe our secondary will be able to handle the challenge. Their OLine isn't anything special either so hopefully we can get more pressure than we did against Dalton tonight.

OX1947
10-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Running Qb's have never fared well against us. I know he can throw well, but the skins have a worse receiving corp then the Bengals and we handled them pretty well.

ggoldman
10-22-2012, 03:32 AM
I expect a lot of Lawrence Timmons rushing RG3, like he did vs Vick

WVABE
10-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I believe next weekend will be a nail biter and decided on the final play of the game.

RG3, that dude is quick.

EbonySteel86
10-22-2012, 06:27 AM
I live in the DMV area and RGIII is legit! He's Vick in his prime, but a waaaay better passer.....that'd freaking scary! Timmons and company need to get on their horse to shut that dude down. This is a game where we really gonna need Troy.

maddog78
10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Lol, "versing RG3"? .... But anyway, RG3 hasn't done enough in this league for me to have nightmares about him. I feel good about this match-up.

You should have just heard Mike and Mike and Ron Jaworski slobbering over him for ten minutes. This is like the fifth or sixth guy who's going to "change the way the position is played" over the past fifteen years.

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
yea, and "Jaws" makes a living out of living through other players - he was an average at best QB so has to make up for it with his mouth. I don't know why I continue to listen to "I studied over 53 hours of tape this week, and what I saw was a QB that derp de derp de tweetly toe . . ."

Ugh

I do enjoy Mike and Mike though just because they make fun of each other and themselves, without egos being a part of it - ala Phil Simms, who is one degrading s.o.b (think Showtime's program)

This is a game where they can get the yucky Tebow game taste out of my mouth by minimizing his influence on the outcome. Timmons cannot be his usual 1/8 of a step too late - the margin of error in bringing down RGIII is extremely small. And you can't just say "we'll keep him in the pocket" - as stated, he has a rocket for an arm and is pretty poised for a rookie.

Upon further review, Santana Moss and Mike Wallace played on the same level yesterday lol

maddog78
10-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Haven't seen the kid play yet, but was listening to someone on sports radio yesterday who said that Shanahan was doing a masterful job with him, keeping him clean with easy throws. It's mostly underneath coverage - dumpoffs, short passes, screens, etc. He's also got a nice deep ball.

Not a lot of stuff over the middle, down the sidelines, etc.

DL needs to try to take this short stuff away. The worst thing the Steelers can do against someone who can only complete short passes is to allow him to complete his short passes.

This has the potential to be a big win for the Steelers, or a frustrating loss as we turn this kid into an even bigger legend by "tackling the catch".

maddog78
10-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Also, they run a read option and he takes shots just before he pitches. This is where Timmons and Clark have to lay the wood early and often. Send the message that if he wants to run that crap, he's going to get his bell rung.

torpedoshell31
10-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Looking at the other side of the ball, the Redskins have a very below average defense. I look for the Steelers to put up a lot of points on them. Also RG3 is missing his favorite safety valve receiver in Fred Davis who was hurt in the Giants game and is out for the season.

Steelers>NFL
10-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I do not have a very good feeling about this game with the Skins & RG3. Especially in light of the inconsistancies with the Steelers D. Right now, I am thinking they can not beat the Skins because of RG3.
Yes, I know the Skins D sucks. But.... just got that feeling!!! Hope I am wrong, by all means...

steelfury02
10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll just throw my hands up like Charlie here - I dunno what to expect from this team so far.

http://nflcomsteelers.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/batch.jpg?w=425&h=383

Twentyvalve
10-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Uhm, one did. Last year. In a stadium far away, high in the sky. It was UGLY. :mad:

Running Qb's have never fared well against us. I know he can throw well, but the skins have a worse receiving corp then the Bengals and we handled them pretty well.

steelfury02
10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
yea, can't discount that - and this one coming up is even better than he who will not be named

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Looking at the other side of the ball, the Redskins have a very below average defense. I look for the Steelers to put up a lot of points on them..

Steelers need to top 30 points - Redskins pass defense is horrid

Mike Shanahan's team is about to waste the most brilliant rookie season in history by pairing RGIII with one of the worst pass defenses football has ever seen.

The Redskins (3-4) are on pace to surrender 457 points, which would be the most in franchise history.

They're also on pace to surrender 5,255 net passing yards -- which would be the most allowed by any team ever, surpassing the standard (or lack thereof) set last year by Green Bay (4,796), a flaw which ultimately cost the 15-1 Packers a run at the Super Bowl....

The Redskins have surrendered 28.6 PPG so far, the most by the franchise in more than a half century.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/10/23/robert-griffin-iii/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
SI.com is working both sides of the Skins-Steelers story - Redskins pass defnse is awful but then there is this

Troy Polamalu’s absence could set the stage for a big RGIII performance

The Redskins rely on a lot of misdirection — constant motion and the frequent use of Griffin in zone-read situations help Washington create spaces in the defense. Griffin’s dual-threat ability has to stay at the front of the opposing defenders’ minds.

One way to neutralize such an attack is by having a player capable of spying the quarterback and handling him one-on-one. Polamalu, with his versatile set of skills, is someone who might have been up to the task.

So, Mike Tomlin’s announcement Monday that Polamalu will not play in Week 8 (and it’s a horrible sign for Polamalu’s health that he’s being ruled out already) leaves the Steelers without that matchup option....

No matter what Pittsburgh tries Sunday, a Polamalu-less game gives an edge to Griffin and the Redskins’ offense.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/23/troy-polamalus-absence-could-set-the-stage-for-a-big-rgiii-performance/?sct=nfl_bf2_a3

teegre
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM
My thoughts:

Start BB in FF. He will have 4 TDs (Wallace, Heath, Sanders, Sanders).

AB will have 10+ receptions.

Steelers will shadow RGIII with Timmons. Timmons has doen it before.

Pat White met Ike Taylor... and quit football. I don't see RGIII quitting, but I also do not see him sliding. I think he gets his bell rung (Ryan Clark... followed by a penalty & a fine), and then staying in the pocket for the remainder of the game.

The Steelers will need ot score about 30 (I think 34), because RGIII will make a few great plays, setting up some long scores (23-28 total points).

Curtain_of_Steel
10-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Would be nice to have Troy lurking around, but I do not know the chances of that happening.

Im not to worried about RG3 as i think Harrison and Woodleycan keep him on the inside where he should be jammed up.

StainlessStill
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
teegre beat me to the punch. Look for the Steelers to shadow our best athlete on the field and unleash Timmons Sunday from every single parameter and angle on the field. Just like the matchup VS Vick, RGIII is going to take some lickens and who better to deliver the blow than Timmons? The dude can match RGIII's escape ability with closing speed and confuses what pain is supposed to feel like when he hits into you, whether it be speed or brute power.

If Timmons gets ATLEAST 2 good hits on RGIII, he'll start second guessing, which would play into our favor. We NEED to turn the Redskins offense into one dimension or else it'll be a long ass day for the D.

I'm confident Ben and the offense can put up 31-34 points. Unfortunately, we stand in our own way.

Hawaii 5-0
10-23-2012, 05:42 PM
by SI.com

About that Redskins’ “full house” formation: The Redskins have implemented some different offensive looks to take full advantage of Robert Griffin III’s skill package, and one that they used frequently Sunday employed three guys in the backfield wrapped around RGIII (seen here) — sort of like you’d see in Air Force’s flexbone, for example.

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/redskins.jpg

There’s not much film out there to help NFL defenses prepare for that, and Washington even takes it one step further at times lining up a tight end almost directly in front of Griffin, with a running back to his side and another behind him (seen here).

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/redskins-2.jpg

Washington ran a play out of that set eight times in the first three quarters, with only an unforced Alfred Morris fumble resulting in a negative outcome. Every other occurrence saw the Redskins gain four yards or more, with gains of 13, 22 and 23. They also had a 35-yard Griffin-to-Leonard Hankerson TD pass wiped out by a penalty.

The Giants stiffened against the formation in the fourth, stuffing two runs and sacking Griffin off a play-action fake. Still, expect Washington to keep turning to the unique look in the future.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/23/second-read-showing-heath-miller-some-love/?sct=nfl_wr_a1

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
This comparison of the stats of RGIII and Andrew Luck indicates the Redskins apparently run what some might regard as a "dink and dunk" offense

It’s a gross generalization, but Luck plays in a vertical offense while Griffin plays in a horizontal one. Griffin ranks first in completion percentage while Luck ranks 32nd, but that has as much to do with the throws they’re asked to make as each quarterback’s accuracy. Luck‘s average pass attempt has traveled 10.2 yards past the line of scrimmage, the longest average pass distance in the league (this was before “Monday Night Football”; Jay Cutler was second at 9.9 entering the game). Griffin averages 7.9 yards downfield per pass attempt, slightly below the league average of 8.2.

And Luck’s long average pass distance isn’t simply a product of throwing lots of incomplete passes down the field. His average pass distance on completions is 8.6 yards past the line of scrimmage, also highest in the N.F.L. (Cutler was fourth at 8.3 entering Monday night). Griffin’s completions come an average of 5.8 yards from the line of scrimmage, well below the league average of 6.5.

Those numbers agree with Brian Burke’s data at Advanced NFL Stats, which show that Griffin has thrown only 14 percent of his passes 15-plus yards past the line of scrimmage, the lowest rate in the league. Luck has thrown only 11 percent of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, while Griffin is in an offense that has let him throw 44 passes at or behind the line, accounting for 23 percent of his attempts. Coach Mike Shanahan and his offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan, deserve credit for molding an offense that fits Griffin’s strengths. Unfortunately for Luck, nothing is being made easy for him in Indianapolis.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/luck-vs-griffin-a-statistical-comparison/

Time to bring out the DB press coverage used in the New England game last year?

teegre
10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
This comparison of the stats of RGIII and Andrew Luck indicates the Redskins apparently run what some might regard as a "dink and dunk" offense

It’s a gross generalization, but Luck plays in a vertical offense while Griffin plays in a horizontal one. Griffin ranks first in completion percentage while Luck ranks 32nd, but that has as much to do with the throws they’re asked to make as each quarterback’s accuracy. Luck‘s average pass attempt has traveled 10.2 yards past the line of scrimmage, the longest average pass distance in the league (this was before “Monday Night Football”; Jay Cutler was second at 9.9 entering the game). Griffin averages 7.9 yards downfield per pass attempt, slightly below the league average of 8.2.

And Luck’s long average pass distance isn’t simply a product of throwing lots of incomplete passes down the field. His average pass distance on completions is 8.6 yards past the line of scrimmage, also highest in the N.F.L. (Cutler was fourth at 8.3 entering Monday night). Griffin’s completions come an average of 5.8 yards from the line of scrimmage, well below the league average of 6.5.

Those numbers agree with Brian Burke’s data at Advanced NFL Stats, which show that Griffin has thrown only 14 percent of his passes 15-plus yards past the line of scrimmage, the lowest rate in the league. Luck has thrown only 11 percent of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, while Griffin is in an offense that has let him throw 44 passes at or behind the line, accounting for 23 percent of his attempts. Coach Mike Shanahan and his offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan, deserve credit for molding an offense that fits Griffin’s strengths. Unfortunately for Luck, nothing is being made easy for him in Indianapolis.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/luck-vs-griffin-a-statistical-comparison/

Did anyone else catch the jab at Arians? "nothing is bring made easy for [Luck]." :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Did anyone else catch the jab at Arians? "nothing is bring made easy for [Luck]." :sofunny:

Another hater drinking the haterade:chuckle:

maddog78
10-23-2012, 08:12 PM

I brought up the press coverage thing earlier. The typical "wait for a mistake" approach may not work if he's throwing underneath all day.

tony hipchest
10-23-2012, 08:59 PM

the good news is dick lebeau is 14-1 against rookie qb's and RGIII has yet to face a 3-4 defense quite like ours.

the bad news is the steelers practically begged tim tebow to beat them deep in the playoff game and it only took him 10 completions to put up 300+ passing yards, and turn in the best game he will ever have as a pro.

good news is our defense is actually healthier than it was in denver.

bad news is RGIII is a better runner and 10X more accurate than tebow will ever be. he wont need the hand of God to connect on the deep plays if they are there.

lost in the midst of last sundays win and the "dick lebeau sucks, is to old to adapt, and the game has passed him by" fever was him unveiling the dime defense (6 db's) with curtis brown logging his first defensive snaps of his career. i have not yet looked at steelerdepot's defensive participation chart to see how many times it was used, but nedless to say it was likely something the bungles and andy dalton werent prepared for.

so the short answer is- yes, i think we will see tighter coverage off the line of scrimmage.

id like to see clark play troys spot at SS and serve as a spy/rover but that depends on how comfortable the coaches feel with either mundy/allen playing FS.

barring injury, i think its safe to say ike, keenan, clark, harrison, timmons will be the only 5 defenders to play every defensive snap.

Hawaii 5-0
10-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Steelers vs. Redskins: Robert Griffin III the most dangerous player Pittsburgh has had to plan for this season

By Neal Coolong on Oct 23

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/1857431/20121017_ter_sb4_571.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Robert Griffin III could be the best player the Steelers will have gone up against by the end of Pittsburgh's Week 8 game against Washington.

The Redskins traded up with St. Louis for the second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. They gave up their first round pick in 2012-14, and a second round pick in 2012.

Washington got the better end of the bargain.

The Giants - Pittsburgh's Week 9 opponent - dispatched the pesky Redskins - who travel to Pittsburgh for a Week 8 game - 27-23 behind some late-game heroics and an untimely fumble by Washington wide receiver Santana Moss.

The loss doesn't take the shine off the performance of rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, who was 20-for-28, passing for 258 yards and two touchdowns along with one interception in the loss. He also rushed nine times for 89 yards, and has 227 rushing yards in the Redskins' last two games (1-1).

After the game, Giants defensive end Justin Tuck had this to say about the rookie quarterback.

He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game when you play a play perfectly and he still has the 4.3 speed to outrun guys and make plays. If I was going to run an offense and you asked me if I wanted Vick, Cam or RGIII, I'd take that guy hands down.

Not that Eagles quarterback Michael Vick or Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (both No. 1 overall picks) have shown the same level of success Griffin is having in shorter passes - his lowest one-game completion percentage is 61.8. Even with that, Griffin still leads the NFL heading into Week 8 with 8.47 yards per passing attempt.

In comparison, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is ninth at 7.51.

Griffin also leads the league in completion percentage at 70.4. Not since Patriots QB Tom Brady's MVP season in 2007 has a quarterback led the league in both categories after 16 games.

That's insane. While most rookie quarterbacks look like Matt Cassel most of the time, Griffin appears to be as comfortable as any other non-Chiefs quarterback. While the Redskins have done a great job of putting him into winnable situations, it's scary what he'll be able to do if they decide to take the reins off him and let him chuck 40 times.

No rookie quarterback has ever defeated a Steelers team with Dick LeBeau as its defensive coordinator. This is the most significant challenge he will have faced in that time.

Griffin will bring with him to Pittsburgh something the Steelers didn't have to worry about much against Cincinnati; a dynamic offense.

The Steelers, under defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, have typically been able to suffocate one-dimensional offenses. Cincinnati was living and breathing on its ability to get A.J. Green the ball deep down the field. Upon successfully scheming to take him out of the game (lots of man coverage out of dime packages with deep safety help), the Bengals offense wilted, late in the game in particular.

Griffin doesn't have an A.J. Green-level receiver, but he's playing at a level that makes the Redskins offense extremely difficult to scheme for and is perhaps the most athletic and well-rounded passer in the game.

We're going to break him down a bit more, but be forewarned, this is, skillwise, the best player the Steelers' defense has faced this season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/23/3542620/steelers-redskins-week-8-preview-robert-griffin-giants-nfl

EbonySteel86
10-24-2012, 05:41 AM

I guess you missed the game when we got Tebowed! Lol!

maddog78
10-24-2012, 06:39 AM
I guess you missed the game when we got Tebowed! Lol!

Or Vick's two prior games before this year. Fact is, there really aren't many "running QB's" in the league anymore. We have faced so few that the sample size makes this discussion moot.

maddog78
10-24-2012, 06:42 AM
This is flat out going to be a fun game to watch. Hopefully Wallace got the dropsies out of the way on Sunday. I don't see Washington's defense slowing us down much.

On the other side, we'll stop RG3 sometimes, and sometimes he'll get the better of us. Nothing to be ashamed of with such a unique system they're running with such a dynamic athlete.

Overall, we possess the ball a lot more and win something like 38-20, 35-17.

ricardisimo
10-24-2012, 06:48 AM
What are we versing again? :huh:

maddog78
10-24-2012, 07:05 AM
What are we versing again? :huh:

The blues over the state of our education system?

Fire Haley
10-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Throwbacks?

Lord help us.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2012/10/24/0ap1000000084662.jpg

Amen

Hawaii 5-0
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Throwbacks?

Lord help us.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2012/10/24/0ap1000000084662.jpg

Amen

I think it's very fitting that this pic was taken in a bathroom area...

teegre
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
The blues over the state of our education system?

:toofunny:
You just made my week.

grward
10-24-2012, 07:14 PM
This is one of the most frustrating things about being a Steelers fan this year. We should beat the Redskins WITH ZERO DIFFICULTY. We are defintely the more talented team and have much more experience. And yet, here we are talking about "versing" the Redskins and at least half the posters are worried about one player beating us. And for good reason! Sad, sad days!

PhantomJB93
10-24-2012, 07:54 PM
This is one of the most frustrating things about being a Steelers fan this year. We should beat the Redskins WITH ZERO DIFFICULTY. We are defintely the more talented team and have much more experience. And yet, here we are talking about "versing" the Redskins and at least half the posters are worried about one player beating us. And for good reason! Sad, sad days!

I'm just as worried about Alfred Morris as I am RG3. He's not fast but he runs ridiculously hard and we have so much trouble with the run this year. If the Bengals kept running it like they did on their first drive (they abandoned the run and I have no idea why because it was working), I'm not sure we would have beaten them.

The Redskins are leading the NFL in total rushing as well, which doesn't bode too well for us.

Darkstorm05
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Fear not. We're going to throw down on the Redskins. 14+ point victory, Steelers.

maddog78
10-24-2012, 10:06 PM
:toofunny:
You just made my week.

Not my intention. I thought it was an honest mistake, then googled "versing" and realized that it's an epidemic. What is going on in our schools? Are we too afraid to hurt feelings that we don't correct students anymore?

:banging:

maddog78
10-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Eh, I wouldn't say with "zero difficulty", The defending SB champs had quite a bit of difficulty beating this upstart team.

I think we should and will win at home, but no team is a pushover, let alone one running a unique offense with a phenomenal talent. This team is lighting up the scoreboard, and the Steelers' defense isn't exactly a powerhouse.

teegre
10-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Not my intention. I thought it was an honest mistake, then googled "versing" and realized that it's an epidemic. What is going on in our schools? Are we too afraid to hurt feelings that we don't correct students anymore?

:banging:

The use of the non-word "versing" is my pet peeve.

I can deal with modern and/or regional parlance, such as: gonna, ain't, n'at, y'all, yinz, et cetera...

But, "versing" is like nails on a chalkboard.

And, every kid does it. "I am versing Johnny's team in soccer." Argh!!! It makes my blood boil, and I tell them so: "NO... it is your team versus Johnny's team in soccer."

Every kid does it... but, not around me. :wink02:

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
this is a good thread to read back through. many posters were pretty spot on with pregame takes and analysis.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Steelers beat Redskins 27-12

October 28, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/301/199/leonard-pope_420.jpg

The Steelers' Leonard Pope celebrates his touchdown in the first quarter.

Robert Griffin III showed he could do just about anything but prevent a hurricane in Washington. Sunday, the Steelers defense showed he could do something else: Be human.

Griffin made his first appearance at Heinz Field as the NFL's sixth-leading rusher and having completed 70 percent of his passes. Against the Steelers, he completed under 50 percent, ran for just eight yards and found himself another rookie victim of Dick LeBeau's defense.

The Steelers scored on their first four drives and held off Griffin and the NFL's top rushing attack to win their second straight game for the first time this season, 27-12.

"He's a great athlete," said defensive end Brett Keisel, who blew up a fourth-quarter pass reception for a seven-yard loss after the Redskins reached the Steelers 17 in a drive that failed. It ended any thoughts of a Washington comeback.

"We knew he was. We knew in order to be successful we'd have to have guys on him on every snap, keep him in the pocket. I think for the most part, we did a pretty good job."

They did that all across the board. Ben Roethlisberger ran his home record to 15-1 against NFC teams by completing 24 of 33 for 222 yards and three touchdowns -- seven yards to Heath Miller, his sixth of the season, and one-yard scoring passes to Leonard Pope and Will Johnson, their first.

Jonathan Dwyer ran for 107 yards to become the first back in four years to top 100 in two consecutive games.

"Any time you can mix it up and be balanced," said Roethlisberger, who completed passes to nine receivers, topped by Mike Wallace's seven. "That's what we've always said we wanted to be, a balanced offense. I feel like we are that right now."

Roethlisberger guided his offense to scores on its first four drives, two touchdowns and two Shaun Suisham field goals. They led 10-0 after the first quarter, 20-6 at halftime and 27-9 in the fourth quarter before the Redskins (3-5) scored and threatened to make it closer.

That's when Keisel turned a short Griffin pass to tight end Logan Paulsen into a 7-yard loss back to the 24. Two incomplete passes ended that threat and pretty much the ballgame with 4:11 to go.

Griffin completed just 16 of his 34 passes for 177 yards and one touchdown, a 2-yarder to Santana Moss on fourth down in the second quarter. He became the 14th rookie quarterback to lose to the Steelers in the 15 games they played rookie starters since LeBeau returned as their defensive coordinator in 2004. Larry Foote had the only sack of Griffin. Neither team had a turnover.

"I thought we did a nice job," coach Mike Tomlin said after finding his team in the black for the first time at 4-3. "We weren't perfect. They test you, really."

Griffin's receivers largely failed their tests by dropping seven of his passes. The steady rain that fell throughout might have been a factor, although linebacker James Harrison suggested something else at work.

"Some may be rain, and you can look and see when a guy is trying to catch the ball and moves his head around sometimes just to see who's there. When guys are flying around and hitting people, you're going to have that."

Rookie Alfred Morris, who entered the game with the NFC rushing lead, had a few good runs but was held to 59 yards on 13 carries. The Redskins managed just 86 yards rushing.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley promised a more efficient passing offense, more attention paid to the ground game and more use of Heath Miller among other things when he was hired. The running game has come around lately, and the efficiency and Miller have been there all season.

The Steelers three touchdown drives covered 76 yards, 74 yards and 80 yards. They were the No. 1 team in the NFL in time of possession before Sunday and they did not hurt that stature by having the ball nearly 6 1/2 minutes longer than Washington.

"We look to possess the ball," Tomlin declared. "If we convert third downs, we feel like we've got a chance to do that."

The Steelers actually made only four of 11 third downs, but converted one fourth down into Pope's touchdown, only his second catch since joining the Steelers as a free agent this year. It capped the day's first drive and staked them to a 7-0 lead.

"We have faith that we can get it in," Roethlsiberger said of the fourth-down play. "It was a good play call and good execution."

The Steelers third and final touchdown may have traveled just one yard also, to fullback Will Johnson, but it too came after a big third-down play. They had three yards to go with the ball on the 21. Roethlisberger lined up in the shotgun with rookie Chris Rainey to his left. The snap went to Rainey, who scooted around right end for a 19-yard pickup to the two.

Johnson was wide open on the right two plays later in the end zone.

"I was kind of yelling 'turn around, you're open,' " Roethlisberger said of Johnson, the fullback from West Virginia who went undrafted and unwanted by any team as a rookie in 2011 but signed with the Steelers the past spring.

"It's so much fun having so many weapons and playing as a whole team."

It may not be as much fun next week. The Steelers play the reigning Super Bowl champion New York Giants on the road.

"It feels good," Foote said of a second consecutive victory. "I wish we could celebrate it but we know we have the world champs a week from now at their place. I'm excited. We'll see what we're made of."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lead-redskins-10-0-after-first-quarter-659592/#ixzz2AiOXDKvZ