PDA

View Full Version : Brown is our #1 Receiver

3rdandlong
10-21-2012, 11:50 PM
This game sealed it for me that Antonio Brown is our number one receiver. Wallace doesn't get open nearly as much as Brown. Wallace dropped several passes tonight. He doesn't seem to be much of an intermediate threat that Brown is.

pittpete
10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4D3odc_g3_E/TsUwIsS0aGI/AAAAAAAAIhw/bXI_6KX_56g/s1600/YUUUP%2521.jpg

Fire Arians
10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
yep, he's proven that since game 1

Lady Steel
10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
I've known for quite some time that Brown was the better receiver, but I guess it takes some peeps awhile. :chuckle:

GMU Steeler
Definitely. We extended the right guy. Love Wallace's speed but Brown has shown himself to be the better all around WR.

tony hipchest
:huh:

someone neeeded past week 2 for this to be established?

3rdandlong
10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
:huh:

someone neeeded past week 2 for this to be established?

Brown has played better every week, but I kept thinking maybe Wallace just needs a little time since he missed training camp. Now I'm fully convinced that Brown is our better receiver. I wouldn't pay Wallace more than him at the end of the season.

TRH
10-22-2012, 12:04 AM
exactly. Not only is he the better "all-around" player, he's a harder worker, a better team guy, and does a TON of stuff to support the city of Pittsburgh. He tried very hard to be a great "Steeler".

I knew this last year, i said it last year, and i've seen nothing this year that would even come close to changing my mind. They gave the right guy the contract.

OX1947
10-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Wallace checklist:

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money
4. Make sure I do not get hurt so always fall down when a tackler is coming
5. Securing the ball every play

PhantomJB93
10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Tonight made me hope for the first time through all of this that Wallace isn't re-signed. WAY too many dropped passes by him and that's not the first time I've said that this year. IDK if it's because of his holdout because this never seemed to be a problem with him before, but he is not playing like he wants a big deal with the Steelers. To this point he has earned equal to or less than Brown's contract which was already significantly less than he initially asked for.

I was always in the "Wallace deserves more than Brown and is a better receiver" camp all through preseason but he's trying his hardest to lose my support.

lloydwoodson
10-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Not sure what is up with Wallace. If he regains his form of the first half of last year he will be a great player. He has been mediocre for the equivalent of a full season now. My favourite thing about Brown is the way he smiles as he signals first downs- he is a lot like Hines in that regard.

austinfrench76
10-22-2012, 12:13 AM
And it doesn't even look close. The Steelers are being made to look like geniuses because they signed Brown but the reality is that Wallace is just showing what little heart he has. Last week he quit on plays and that's when I stopped being a big proponent of resigning him. Brown is the man!

AgentGold007
10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
I agree but hopefully this will humble Wallace.

teegre
10-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Agreed: that is obvious.

The real question is...
Who is #2: Sanders or Wallace? or Heath?

BlaZeQuietly
10-22-2012, 01:33 AM
I also now understand why we arnt resigning wallace and I hope that we don't he costed us at least 14 points tonight and yeah hes seems timid, afraid to get hit, he busted on the scene but now he sucks, I thought brown was awesome from the start but for some reason he was always our number 3 or 4 receiver, finally this year he is getting the time he deserves

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Wallace = Nate Washington

steelers33
10-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Brown is the better all-around receiver. But how much success is he seeing due to teams having to double team Wallace over the top, and him seeing single coverage?

Todd Haley
10-22-2012, 02:10 AM
Every wide receiver has had bad games like Mike Wallace had tonight...

teegre
10-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Brown is the better all-around receiver. But how much success is he seeing due to teams having to double team Wallace over the top, and him seeing single coverage?

Wallace open; Wallace drop.

AB open; AB catch.

It's science.

jb500ex
10-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Wallace wasn't double teamed tonight. I watched plays where he ran a fly and was single covered. That's just a myth to make him better then brown.

Steeldude
10-22-2012, 04:51 AM

He's always been the better WR. Wallace has too many flaws and is too one-dimensional. Wallace's poor fundamentals were evident since he arrived in Pittsburgh. :tt02:

bornaSteelersfan
10-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Brown is clearly the number one receiver. I think after this week, we may see Sanders as the number two receiver. Wallace really needs to get his head in the game.

WVABE
10-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Payback for not getting huge money.

He'll get big bucks somewhere next year.

bornaSteelersfan
10-22-2012, 05:58 AM

The Raiders will give him a call.

Rick5895
10-22-2012, 06:20 AM
If Wallace keeps dropping balls, the big money won't come, regardless of how fast he is. AB is one of the best route runners in the league. But what sets him apart from Wallace, aside from catching the ball, is his burst out of cuts and his immediate separation after the cut.

jiminpa
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM

He'll get big bucks somewhere next year....and he won't be worth it. Let some loser team overpay him. He is our fourth best receiver. If he gets the money he is looking for the team that picks him up will have themselves painted into a salary cap corner with him as the best receiver on their team. That means that they won't have a receiver on their team that could play for us.

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 11:08 AM
you can make a safe bet if Wallace went down like Sanders temporarily did, he wouldn't be coming back in the game - he has made a lot of "business decisions" since the 2nd half of last season

At this rate, he isn't worth anywhere near Brown's contract - but he'll get something or a little less somewhere else. I seriously wouldn't offer him 6 to 7 million.

Rainey's potential makes up for his sudden don't give a crap attitude, along with a young gun in college right now, waiting for his chance . . .

Darkstorm05
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Wallace's 2nd mistake(After holding out during camp) was ending the holdout. He should have gone all in, and sat out the 10 games or whatever. Instead of caved, came back, and is sinking his stock.

At least if he had sat the 10 games, he could suck the last 6 and blame it on being cold. He tried to act hard, but in the end didn't have the balls, and now he's eating it, like a loser. If he doesn't explode in a big way soon, he's going to be begging for 4 mil a year.

steelfury02
10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
yea, except he is performing at least in mediocre fashion like 1 Miles Austin, who teams like the Cowgirls and Deadskins are willing to pay 8.5 - 10 mil a season for - with 17 mil up front - which is absolutely ludicrous for a 2nd to 3rd tier receiver.

steelax04
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Not a direct hit at you 33... just at this point in general:

This argument is just old anymore. Wallace getting double teams can't be the only reason why Brown is doing so well for so long, because it's not a reason at all. We heard this all last year and I was even thinking it, but it just doesn't hold water after continued success. Are other teams just that stupid that they can't catch on after what, 22 games now? I guess Heath's TD and Sanders' big gain was due to Wallace being doubled too, right?

For example, AJ Green was doubled all game. If doubling the #1 receiver led to the #2 or #3 guys having big games, then where were the other Bengals' receivers? They were nowhere to be found because they aren't good.

teegre
10-22-2012, 04:24 PM
For example, AJ Green was doubled all game. If doubling the #1 receiver led to the #2 or #3 guys having big games, then where were the other Bengals' receivers? They were nowhere to be found because they aren't good.

That part^^^

FrancoLambert
10-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Amen to that!

3rdandlong
10-24-2012, 08:43 PM

There will be some team who will foolishly pay him the big money, probably.

ZoneBlitzer
10-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Brown should, and will be an elite receiver in this league. He's got solid hands and is an excellent open field runner - probably the best on the team and perhaps the league.

He may not be faster than Wallace but he's got lightning game speed. Wallace can't touch his elusiveness nor match his fluid stride. He is just naturally gifted and light years ahead of Wallace in those categories. Sanders is no shmuck either...The FO has done a great job of rebuilding the receiving corp. I'd like to say that perhaps they could afford to lose Wallace but maybe #17 is opening up space for the other guys.

Millers the sh!t
10-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Browns coming along excellent. Great man, great teammate, great player. Real elusive and can turn small plays I to a homerun at any moment. I like cheering for this man. Just a little bit better ball control and he's one of the best.

Bayz101
10-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Browns coming along excellent. Great man, great teammate, great player. Real elusive and can turn small plays I to a homerun at any moment. I like cheering for this man. Just a little bit better ball control and he's one of the best.

I agree 100%, but that alone doesn't make him the #1 receiver as the title suggests. Wallace isn't doing well, and he's not playing like a true #1, but the one thing he is doing is SCORING. Brown hasn't been a touchdown scoring player yet in his career, and doesn't put up #1 receiver touchdown numbers. Brown needs to start pulling in touchdown grabs to solidify himself as the #1 guy on the football field.

steelax04
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree 100%, but that alone doesn't make him the #1 receiver as the title suggests. Wallace isn't doing well, and he's not playing like a true #1, but the one thing he is doing is SCORING. Brown hasn't been a touchdown scoring player yet in his career, and doesn't put up #1 receiver touchdown numbers. Brown needs to start pulling in touchdown grabs to solidify himself as the #1 guy on the football field.

Miller tops the charts with 5 TDs right now, so that alone doesn't make a #1 receiver, which I know you weren't saying it does... Wallace has 20% of his yards from one catch (82 yds). Aside from that homerun, he's averaging 11.25 YPC only one yard less than Brown. TDs probably do take Wallace above Brown as the number one threat (4 vs 1). However, I don't want to see any passes on third down right now going to anyone but Brown or Heath. With the way that Wallace has been playing, I say it's all a push and we have two number one receivers right now (one more consistent and one with the homerun threat) with a TE giving them a run for their money.

Not a bad set of personnel for BB to be throwing to.