PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Draft priorities

MasterOfPuppets
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
the steelers philosophy has always been to take away the run and make the opponent one dimensional. they also made do with mediocre talent at corner back by forcing qb's into quick throws with the pass rush. its served them well and kept them competitive over the years. their record and superbowl appearances proves so.
there's been an obvious drop off in their ability to stop the run and the pass rush . obviously you can't fix multiple positions with just one draft so you have to prioritize and try to address your most glaring needs first. the steelers have always had quality depth to fall back on , but i don't see that quality anymore. they've become complacent in finding "the next guy", and adding him to the roster.
keeping guys like mundy and foote around makes no sense to me because they've already hit their ceiling and it wasn't very high. they've traded away a chance to discover the next "diamond in the rough", for temporary security . guys that can step in and be serviceable but will never starter grade players.
3 years....3 years should be a sufficient amount of time to evaluate if a player has progressed to the point of being considered starter material and ready to take over if called upon without a huge drop off in performance. ryan mundy is a HUGE drop off in performance. they literally have to change the entire defense to try to accommodate and hide the drop !!! so why have they not tried to find someone with more talent ? don't get me wrong, you don't just find another troy , he's a one of a kind , but to be satisfied with a player that most likely couldn't land a starter gig any where else in the NFL is just foolish
. i'll end my rant here and give my two cents on the subject.

fat snack is obviously done after this season, tauma is heading to jail, mcclendon hasn't proven crap. i think a NT should be a high priority.

harrison is nearing the end. worilds or carter isn't the answer. OLB is a high priority.

troy isn't a game changer anymore and can't stay healthy. mundy sucks and is also getting old. SS should be a high priority.

clark is getting old. no quality back ups. FS is a medium priority.

keisel is nearing the end. hood hasn't exactly impressed. heyward is still a question mark. DE should be a medium priority.

SteelersCanada
11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Dion Jordan or Alex Okafor in the first round solves the Harrison problem. Those guys have tremendous upside and explosive ability to get off the line with a quick first step. Plus, Jordan is 6'7 240 and runs a 4.4. Why wouldn't we grab him?

Safety will be addressed in the second round by grabbing either Rambo or Jefferson and either one of those two would make me happy. Assuming the Steelers are picking anywhere between 25 and 32 -- which by the way they're playing right now seems like a likely possiblilty -- Elam, Reid and Vaccaro will be off the board at this point. If Matt Elam falls to around 40-ish, the Steelers absolutely must trade up to grab him.

Even if the Steelers have two picks in this years draft, if they're Dion Jordan and Matt Elam, I'm perfectly okay with that. Elam brings a similar skill set that Polamalu brings - a knack for finding the ball and breaking it up.

A darkhorse pick here is CJ Mosley out of Alabama in the second round. Again, drafting Mosley with Jordan gives the Steelers the best LB core in the NFL again with...

Jordan / ROLB - Mosley + Timmons / MLB - Woodley / LOLB

... and provides an infusion of youth in this defense. I think that it's unlikely, however, that the Steelers don't pick Safety very high in this years draft. Expect a trade if a candidate like Jefferson or Elam is on the board past 40.

Bayz101
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Worilds has three sacks in his limited playing time. I'm not ready to write him off.

sluggermatt15
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
We keep drafting secondary and offensive lineman. I'd like to see defensive line and linebacker addressed. It's really unfortunate Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward haven't lived up to "first round" status. I had higher hope for these guys.

SteelersCanada
11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
We keep drafting secondary and offensive lineman. I'd like to see defensive line and linebacker addressed. It's really unfortunate Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward haven't lived up to "first round" status. I had higher hope for these guys.

Way too early to make a call one way or the other on Heyward. He hasn't had nearly enough snaps or legitimate gametime to say he haven't lived up to his first round bill.

It definitely could be argued that Hood hasn't, but he's made strides this year in his game to become a legitimate DE. That said, I point to his lack of production this year right toward Hampton and his inability to command double teams. When Hood gets 1-on-1, he wins those battles for the most part. It is a little upsetting that the Bills grabbed Jarius Byrd at 42nd in the same draft, though. Kinda missed on that pick.

bhandsome08
11-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Biggest needs for the draft next year would be OLB, ILB and S.
I'm Thinking They'll draft a LB in the rounds one and two. I think they can wait till the 3rd round to get a safety. This year is deep for safety, and a strong defensive class overall.

cbrunn
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I think McClendon is the NT of the future ... he showed a good bit when he was on the field maybe we watch different games ...

but I think the draft depends on if Alec Ogletree declares early ... IF Ogletree declares and is sitting there on the board when we pick ... I think you have to take him

I also don't think these 6-4, 6-7 DE/OLB is in the Steelers nature ... they usually go for smaller prospects for the OLB

bhandsome08
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
With the release of ta'amu. I think NT could be added to the list of priorities

bhandsome08
11-14-2012, 02:38 AM
I think McClendon is the NT of the future ... he showed a good bit when he was on the field maybe we watch different games ...

but I think the draft depends on if Alec Ogletree declares early ... IF Ogletree declares and is sitting there on the board when we pick ... I think you have to take him

I also don't think these 6-4, 6-7 DE/OLB is in the Steelers nature ... they usually go for smaller prospects for the OLB

I highly Doubt Alec Ogletree declares this year.

I have to agree that McLendon is the future NT, and that 64-6'7 LBs aren't what the Steelers usually go after.
Usually they go for someone between 6'-6'2. Tallest LB they currently have is Brandon Johnson at 6'5, But if someone like Dion Jordan or Alex Okafor is available, u gotta pick em.

kent
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt mind drafting a quality backup qb in the mid to late rounds if there is one.

SteelersCanada
11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Judging off the last couple of weeks, I doubt that Jordan or Okafor will be available when the Steelers pick. While this does suck (a lot, especially because I remain so high on both of those guys) I think we can still have a couple of steals in the first couple of rounds. So, here's my latest mock after last weeks games and before this Saturday:

R1 - CJ Mosley - OLB / Alabama
R2 - Nico Johnson - ILB / Alabama

The fact that Johnson keeps slipping down the boards means only good things for the Steelers. This kid in 2011 was ridiculous and his athleticism can't be ignored. His lack of production this year could be pointed to the rise of Mosley and the production of Milliner. Too many cooks for this team right now, but when he's given a chance to make a play, he makes it.

R3 - Bacarri Rambo - FS / Georgia
In another thread I said this pick was very unrealistic and he wouldn't be here in the third round, but now there's a very good chance he may be. With the increase in production from guys like Swearinger and Williams, Rambo's name has taken a tumble. Whether or not this is justified is irrelevant, honestly, as if he falls to the Steelers in round 3, we might have the biggest steal of the draft.

R4 - Malliciah Goodman - DE / Clemson
R5 - Deion Belue - CB / Alabama

I realize this is the third 'Bama player in this draft and it's really an unnecessary pick with the production of Lewis and potential of Allen and Brown, but Taylor isn't getting any younger. This is more of an "infusion of youth" pick to our secondary. Having a young and talented group of corners isn't a bad thing. Choosing how to split the reps and who starts is a problem I'd love to have for this team.

R6 - Jahleel Addae - SS / Central Michigan
R7 - Jon Bostic - MLB / Florida

MDSteel15
11-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I think Troy's replacement should be the 1st pick we make in the draft! And if Rambo is there in the 3rd, jump on him to take Clark's spot because we can't afford to go in to Denver anymore without compitent safties...

cbrunn
11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't be mad with Eric Reid in the first and move him to take Troy's spot ... and Rambo in the 2nd

teegre
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Judging off the last couple of weeks, I doubt that Jordan or Okafor will be available when the Steelers pick. While this does suck (a lot, especially because I remain so high on both of those guys) I think we can still have a couple of steals in the first couple of rounds. So, here's my latest mock after last weeks games and before this Saturday:

The fact that Johnson keeps slipping down the boards means only good things for the Steelers. This kid in 2011 was ridiculous and his athleticism can't be ignored. His lack of production this year could be pointed to the rise of Mosley and the production of Milliner. Too many cooks for this team right now, but when he's given a chance to make a play, he makes it.

In another thread I said this pick was very unrealistic and he wouldn't be here in the third round, but now there's a very good chance he may be. With the increase in production from guys like Swearinger and Williams, Rambo's name has taken a tumble. Whether or not this is justified is irrelevant, honestly, as if he falls to the Steelers in round 3, we might have the biggest steal of the draft.

R4 - Malliciah Goodman - DE / Clemson
R5 - Deion Belue - CB / Alabama

I realize this is the third 'Bama player in this draft and it's really an unnecessary pick with the production of Lewis and potential of Allen and Brown, but Taylor isn't getting any younger. This is more of an "infusion of youth" pick to our secondary. Having a young and talented group of corners isn't a bad thing. Choosing how to split the reps and who starts is a problem I'd love to have for this team.

R6 - Jahleel Addae - SS / Central Michigan
R7 - Jon Bostic - MLB / Florida

I really like those first two picks, although, I think that Johnson can be gotten in R3 or R4.

My mock has Matt Elam (or some other safety) in R2. I also like Shayne Skov (if Mosely is gone).

tburhans
11-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I thought we could make it a few more years without having to draft a qb but with our current situation we may need to use a mid to late round pick on a real qb that we can develop incase ben gets hurt again. Batch is most likely in his last year with us and unless they plan on bringing back jerrod johnson or another free agent we might be forced to use a draft pick on a "starter in waiting" as tomlin calls it

bhandsome08
11-22-2012, 04:23 AM
I thought we could make it a few more years without having to draft a qb but with our current situation we may need to use a mid to late round pick on a real qb that we can develop incase ben gets hurt again. Batch is most likely in his last year with us and unless they plan on bringing back jerrod johnson or another free agent we might be forced to use a draft pick on a "starter in waiting" as tomlin calls it

I'd rather go with a FA back up QB. This years QB class is very weak. I think it'd be a waste pick, Especially with a strong defensive class overall. This is the kind of draft class Steelers FO would love. I can see them taking a guard like Omoregie Uzzi of Georgia Tech. Later in the draft though. I think we'd need it for depth issues.

SteelersCanada
11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Drafting a quarterback in this draft would be a waste. With the amount of defensive talent spread around at all positions, we can hold off on drafting a younger guy. Besides, I have a feeling the quarterbacks next year will be Ben, Hoyer and Jerrod Johnson. Two younger guys to back up Roethlisberger instead of two veterans.

tburhans
11-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure why johnson wasn't brought back already. He knows the playbook and he had a solid preseason. I sure hope we atleast keep him as our #3 for next year and he could possibly become the #2 and beat out hoyer.

SteelersCanada
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
After seeing today's loss and watching the games on Saturday, this is my latest mock. It's largely unchanged since my last one, but it's updated.

R4 - Knile Davis - RB / Arkansas

R5 - Brodrick Brown - CB / Oklahoma State

R6 - William Campbell - DE / Michigan

R7 - Jahleel Addae - SS / Central Michigan

MDSteel15
11-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Worilds has three sacks in his limited playing time. I'm not ready to write him off.

4 Now!

PhantomJB93
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Right now, I personally would like to see a safety in the first (Reid or Elam), a RB in the second (Montee Ball or Andre Ellington), and an ILB in the third (Michael Mauti?).

Steel Glory
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Steelers mock

1) Eric Reid, S, LSU
2) Joseph Randle RB, Oklahoma State
3) Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
4) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5) DeVonte Holloman, ILB, South Carolina
6) Zac Dysert, QB, Miami of Ohio
7) Ray-Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University

Holloman plays safety currenty, and Armstrong left Miami but is a good late round flyer if he checks out.