PDA

View Full Version : Pro Football Started.....?

Indy_Steelers
08-06-2006, 08:14 PM
OK, I am watching the Raiders v Eagles game tonight and in the intro the said that Canton, OH is where pro football started. According to my info, pro football started in the Pittsburgh area. Is it where the NFL started?:football:

Stillers#1
08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
As far as I know the first pro team was the Canton Bulldogs. By the way, I know they are only playing the Raiders, but the Eagles looked really good on that first drive.

SuperBowlChamps
08-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah McNabb looked SHARP. And so did Westbrook. This team might be better than what people think. They were already a great team before they acquired TO going to the NFC Championship game all those years in a row...so I don't know why people are counting them out...

Just saw a commercial for Friday Night Lights...that's going to be a pretty good series it appears...I guess it's going to be like the movie?

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Yup the eagles looked good. Like I been telling everybody, the eagles are still a solid team, they are gonna suprise a lot of people that think they are a joke now. By the way that guy baskett for the eagles is real good check him out..

BBC
08-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Boy people get excited about performances in pre-season. I'm not saying the Eagles won't do fine - but the Steelers offense didn't score one touchdown during their 4 pre-season games. I wouldn't put so much stock into one impressive drive.

SuperBowlChamps
08-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Boy people get excited about performances in pre-season. I'm not saying the Eagles won't do fine - but the Steelers offense didn't score one touchdown during their 4 pre-season games. I wouldn't put so much stock into one impressive drive.

Oh I'm not I'm just saying...if a player looks sharp, hey they look sharp right?

Petesburgh66
08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Canton isn't mentioned here.

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1869-1910

19ward86
08-06-2006, 08:32 PM
i think reggie brown is going to get 80-100 catches this season

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 08:34 PM

We are not saying the eagles are gonna win the superbowl but they did look sharp in that first drive that's all.. 2 badd D-mc is out now, I wanted 2 see more of him..

Indy_Steelers
08-06-2006, 08:37 PM

Yeah, that is the info I have read. It is cool to even see it on NFL.com.:cool:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-06-2006, 08:41 PM
We are not saying the eagles are gonna win the superbowl but they did look sharp in that first drive that's all.. 2 badd D-mc is out now, I wanted 2 see more of him..

And the Raiders still look like the same 'ole Raiders. And with Brooks being the starter can you say BIG TROUBLE :chuckle:

Stillers#1
08-06-2006, 08:42 PM

I dont think Canton was ever in the NFL. Remember, Canton has the PRO football hall of fame, not the NFL hall of fame. I just think the Canton Bulldogs were a reguallr pro team, not sure if they were in a league or anything. Google it. here is the wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Bulldogs

I think I am wrong though...looks like they were in the NFL.

Polamalu43
08-06-2006, 08:46 PM
And the Raiders still look like the same 'ole Raiders. And with Brooks being the starter can you say BIG TROUBLE :chuckle:

Yup the raiders are always gonna b the raiders no matter what they do. Did u guys know that when the raiders left LA somebody put a curse on the team,and I think its working. All they do is false starts, they should change the name 2 the oakland falsestarters lol

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I thought it was a group of businessmen in Latrobe that started Pro Football.

shevdog
08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
OK, I am watching the Raiders v Eagles game tonight and in the intro the said that Canton, OH is where pro football started. According to my info, pro football started in the Pittsburgh area. Is it where the NFL started?:football:
I've heard the sport of football was invented at West Point, yet not pro football. I believe pro football started there. Western PA and Eastern Oh was the heart of football in the early days of football. I know my high school's football program has been around longer than probably any pro football team.

Indy_Steelers
08-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Shevdog, I am not sure who invented it but I do know that the game that is played today is a lot different from the game when it started. If I remember correctly, instead of a team having 11 players on the field they had 25 I think and passing was illeagle. Something else of note, there are still high schools today that play 8 on 8 or 7 on 7. I know that there are school in the southeast and south. The most popular player i can think of that played that way is Drew Brees. He is from Texas. I love football history.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
The first every pro football team was the Canton Bulldogs,and I do think they were in the NFL.

stlrtruck
08-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Canton is mentioned in 1905. I'm not sure why it's recognized as one of the original football teams when there was so much going on.

If someone would please contact the NFL office to find out, I'd appreciate it greatly! :sofunny:

Indy_Steelers
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
The first every pro football team was the Canton Bulldogs,and I do think they were in the NFL.
Maybe the first NFL team but I have not seen any evidence that they were the first pro team. Nfl.com does not recognize them as that.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Hold on a minute...didn't Tedy Bruschi invent pro-football?

NM

tony hipchest
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Hold on a minute...didn't Tedy Bruschi invent pro-football?

NM

if he did it was a stroke of genius.

ARKIESTEEL
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Someone said pro football has started then I hear its the eagles and the raiders so when does pro football start?