PDA

View Full Version : SI.com - Showing Heath Miller Some Love

Atlanta Dan
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Heeeeeeath!

There are flashier tight ends around the league, players like Rob Gronkowski or Vernon Davis who change defensive game plans and steal headlines.

The Steelers probably wouldn’t trade Heath Miller for any of them.

Miller is more from the “traditional tight end” cut than the Gronkowskis of the world, but he is invaluable in Pittsburgh’s offense — and has been for several years. How much the Steelers rely on him was on display Sunday in their come-from-behind 24-17 win over Cincinnati....

Miller may be one of the most underappreciated players in the league, but he showed again Sunday why he’s still a sensational tight end.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/10/23/second-read-showing-heath-miller-some-love/?sct=nfl_wr_a1

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-23-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't know why he is "one of the underappreciated players in this league" every season. He is one of the best Tight Ends in the game-- he can do it all.

FrancoLambert
10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
It's great that Haley knows how to use the weapon we call "Heeeeeth!" :tt04:
Google image "quiet professional," and a picture of him should pop up. :thumbsup:
For a team that produces few great tight ends, he's way up there. :hatsoff:

teegre
10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
If Heath were asked to ONLY catch passes (a la Vernon Davis), he'd have gaudy numbers, as well. I am that confident is Heath's receiving skills.

But, unlike most (modern) TEs, he actually blocks well... making him such a great, all-around player.

Now... is he kept in too much to block? Definitely.

That said, do not get me wrong: I don't want to see him out in the secondary, like a split end, running routes on every single play. BUT, I'd like to see more of the following: getting targeted 7-8 times per game (i.e. just like he did in the CINCY game).

Furthermore, meaningful targets... like in the red-zone and/or on third downs. Likewise, just when he's lulled an OLB to sleep, BLAMO!!! the Steelers should hit him for a 20 yard gain.

SteelersCanada
10-23-2012, 05:45 PM
That said, do not get me wrong: I don't want to see him out in the secondary, like a split end, running routes on every single play. BUT, I'd like to see more of the following: getting targeted 7-8 times per game (i.e. just like he did in the CINCY game).

I think when the development with Adams speeds up and he becomes a legitimate Tackle (on either side) you'll see Miller being split out more and being more of a target. With Adams still developing, though, and the consistent amount of injuries to this o-line he's forced to help block and be an extra offensive guard. With his size, surprising speed and excellent hands, he's an absolute matchup nightmare for anyone trying to cover him.

WVABE
10-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Keeping Ben upright for now is key and its working so far. (basically)

O-Line is much improved over the last few years and if Heath being

a blocking TE helped that much, I'm for "let it be".

But of course 7 or 8 receptions would be nice also.

Git-R-Done, HeathHeathHeath...

Millers the sh!t
10-23-2012, 08:27 PM
If Heath were asked to ONLY catch passes (a la Vernon Davis), he'd have gaudy numbers, as well. I am that confident is Heath's receiving skills.

But, unlike most (modern) TEs, he actually blocks well... making him such a great, all-around player.

Now... is he kept in too much to block? Definitely.

Furthermore, meaningful targets... like in the red-zone and/or on third downs. Likewise, just when he's lulled an OLB to sleep, BLAMO!!! the Steelers should hit him for a 20 yard gain.

Heath was baby sitting Adams all night. In my opinion heath is the best and most reliable player on offense. He's got the best hands too. Once Adams is replaced, heath should be getting a few more targets each week.

StainlessStill
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
We all know who Heath Miller is so there is only ONE appropriate reply:

HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAATHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawaii 5-0
10-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Ben Roethlisberger nominates Heath Miller for president, appoints himself campaign manager

By Neal Coolong on Oct 26

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2076219/20121021_lbm_ab8_220.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has never been shy of expressing his appreciation of the amount of talent possessed by tight end Heath Miller. Now, Roethlisberger plans on taking the show all the way to the White House.

It's an election year, and nothing pertaining to Washington D.C. is without its twangs of politics.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger even got with the times, announcing to the media Thursday Steelers tight end Heath Miller "should run for president." Steel City Insider's Jim Wexell noted the conversation in a piece about Heath Miller's viability for the AFC Pro Bowl.

Roethlisberger would go on to say he's even going to run Miller's campaign. He should start with these stats.

According to Wexell, 47 percent of the Steelers' red zone drives resulted in touchdowns. Seven percent of those plays, and 15 percent of the passes called went to Miller.

In 2012, the Steelers are scoring touchdowns on 55 percent of their trips to the red zone, and 20 percent of the plays and 38 percent of the passes have gone to Miller.

Sounds like Commander-in-Chief credentials. Efficient and measurable results in the face of adversity.

And what about walking tall and carrying a big stick? Miller's taken out more defensive backs on screens than the NFL's offensive-favoring rules have.

It's unfortunate, in this Fantasy Football-obsessed world, Miller isn't known fully as the out-and-out best all-around tight end in the game, but there isn't one more versatile than he is - and yes, I know who plays in New England.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/26/3558614/steelers-red-zone-stats-production-heath-miller-ben-roethlsiberger

austinfrench76
10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Heath is the man! I just hope Paulson pans out and it makes letting Saunders go make sense!

Lady Steel
10-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I would vote for Heath for President. :tt:

Heath is my favorite Steeler, a true team player, and the most underrated. He is such a great athlete, and doesn't have a big ego/mouth. Some of his teammates could learn a lot from him.

SquirrelHillSteelNut
10-28-2012, 07:06 AM
I would vote for Heath for President. :tt:

Heath is my favorite Steeler, a true team player, and the most underrated. He is such a great athlete, and doesn't have a big ego/mouth. Some of his teammates could learn a lot from him.

i'll second this...Heath has my vote for sure.:tt02:

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Steelers notebook: Miller finding his way to end zone

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

This hasn’t happened often: A tight end leads the Steelers in touchdown receptions seven games into a season.

Heath Miller has six touchdowns among his 35 receptions.

“A little bit. It’s not a huge difference,” Miller said of what the Todd Haley offense has meant to his upgraded role. “We’ve got a lot of the same plays, maybe some more opportunities in terms as the red zone but there are no drastic differences.”

Haley’s three receivers-one tight end formation creates mismatches for Miller, although he said coverages vary from a safety to a nickel back to a linebacker.

“I’m not ready to say it is a tight end offense,” Miller said. “Opportunities are going to come and go. Maybe six weeks from now you’ll be asking why we’re not throwing to the tight end.”

ELI VS. BEN III

Giants quarterback Eli Manning was the No. 1 pick in 2004; Roethlisberger was No. 11. Between them, they have won four Super Bowls (two apiece). The Ben-Eli matchup Sunday will be only the third between them in nine seasons. Roethlisberger won in 2004; Manning won at Heinz Field in 2008. Roethlisberger had 505 yards passing to Manning’s 381, but Manning had only one interception to Roethlisberger’s six.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2859503-85/miller-tight-manning-roethlisberger-eli-six-won-2004-ben-haley#ixzz2Aklh6pc5

Hawaii 5-0
11-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Miller’s time? Giants game could be opportunity for tight end to shine

By F. Dale Lolley
11/1/2012

PITTSBURGH – While watching the film of the New York Giants’ most recent game, a 29-24 victory Sunday at Dallas, the Steelers couldn’t help but notice that Cowboys tight end Jason Witten caught pass after pass, finishing with a team-record 18 receptions.

Though the Cowboys didn’t win the game, they rallied from a 23-0 first-half deficit by taking what the Giants gave them, dinking and dunking their way down the field.

With an offense that has been described as “dink and dunk,” the Steelers’ (4-3) game Sunday in New York (6-2) might be a perfect matchup. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t look at the dink-and-dunk description used for first-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s offense as a negative.

“When I grew up, the 49ers, that’s what they did. That’s the West Coast offense,” said Roethlisberger. “I’m not saying we’re a West Coast offense, but dink and dunk is not a negative term. We’re taking advantage of our quick wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, especially when teams take away the big play downfield. That’s what’s open.”

It’s working especially well for tight end Heath Miller. The eight-year veteran is having perhaps his best season, catching 35 passes for 336 yards and a team-high six touchdowns.

“ With ( Haley’s) offense, he’s given me the opportunity to do a few more things, especially in the red zone and down the field,” said Miller.

And Miller is making the most of those chances. His six touchdowns are the second-most most by a tight end in the NFL behind New England’s Rob Gronkowski (7), and the 35 receptions has Miller on pace to surpass his career high of 76 receptions set in 2009.

Miller’s six scores are one fewer than his career high of seven set in 2007, but with Roethlisberger looking more his way in the red zone, the Steelers record for touchdowns in a season of 12 – held by Hines Ward, Louis Lipps and Buddy Dial – is within reach.

“He’s a great player. I have comfort in him,” said Roethlisberger. “He’s just getting open and we are calling more things for him.”

Against a Giants defense that couldn’t stop Witten, the Steelers figure to have plenty of pass plays called for Miller.

“I know it was a 10- to 12-yard out route almost every time,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think the Giants minded giving up that play. I think they just didn’t want to give up the one-play touchdown.”

The strategy could be the same against the Steelers.

Because of Pittsburgh’s big-play wide receivers, Miller has been getting many one-on-one matchups – at least outside the red zone. Near the goal line, he’s seeing a lot more attention.

“Any time you catch a few touchdowns, defenses target you,” Miller said. “They pick a different guy to target. It’s different week in and week out. Ben does a good job of buying time if everybody’s covered. But it’s tough to put two guys on me when you have the threats that we have on the outside.”

Odds and end zones

Safety Ryan Clark, who suffered a concussion Sunday against Washington, passed the NFLmandated tests and was cleared to practice. “ It wasn’t a situation where I was out on the field. I wasn’t knocked out,” said Clark, who must pass another test Friday to be cleared to play against the Giants. “I got dinged. It was a football play. I’d venture to say that I’ve been in that situation before and not taken out of the game or not told anybody. ... I feel good.” ... The Steelers released safety Damon Cromartie-Smith and activated rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu from the reserve/ suspended list. Ta’amu had been suspended the two games after being arrested for DUI and other charges three weeks ago. “ It was a big mistake, one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life. It won’t happen again,” said Ta’amu, a fourth-round draft pick. ... Running back Jonathan Dwyer (quad), safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles), offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) and linebackers LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) and Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday. ... Receiver Emmanuel Sanders has been asked to meet with NFL officials Saturday in New York to discuss an injury he suffered late in a win over Cincinnati two weeks ago. Some have questioned whether Sanders was faking the injury to give the Steelers an extra timeout.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/11-01-2012-Steelers-Miller