PDA

View Full Version : How much cap space do we save next year

RuHappy69
10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
If Troy, Harrison and Hampton are not on our roster? I think they get rid of Mr. Glass Troy and move Ike to FS to take his spot. Harrison is also always hurt and makes way too much money based on his production and Hampton is just awful this year. On any other team McClendon is starting over him.

Also, not sure if its a contract year for Mendenhal but if it is, I'd worry.

Hawaii 5-0
10-23-2012, 05:58 PM
we are not going to cut Troy...

Curtain_of_Steel
10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Harrison will redo his deal.

Darkstorm05
10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
For all 3, just over 25 mil. I have a feeling, though, that all 3 will be back next year.

SteelersCanada
10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
For all 3, just over 25 mil. I have a feeling, though, that all 3 will be back next year.

Hampton isn't going to be back next year. I do think that Harrison will be, though, unless we draft Dion Jordan. Polamalu doesn't need to be cut, he just needs to rehab his calf. This is still Troy Polamalu we're talking about guys, let's not get too zealous with the cuts.

Darkstorm05
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Hampton isn't going to be back next year. I do think that Harrison will be, though, unless we draft Dion Jordan. Polamalu doesn't need to be cut, he just needs to rehab his calf. This is still Troy Polamalu we're talking about guys, let's not get too zealous with the cuts.

Hampton wasn't going to be back this year, either...until he came back. We're getting into a habit of overpaying non-performers.

SteelersCanada
10-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Hampton wasn't going to be back this year, either...until he came back. We're getting into a habit of overpaying non-performers.

It's not that he won't be back due to injury, he just can't do it anymore and I think he's starting to recognize that. I don't know how much more he can take at that age and he's a free agent at the end of this year. I very, very, very much doubt he'll be back. Maybe if we didn't bring back Ta'amu I'd think there was a chance, but I seriously doubt it.

Solak
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I think we get rid of Hampton and Mendenhall. Troy is not going anywhere but I would feel better if a safety was drafted somewhere in the first three rounds for insurance.

teegre
10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Troy is not going anywhere but I would feel better if a safety was drafted somewhere in the first three rounds for insurance.

A safety WILL be drafted early. This is a phenomenal year for safeties... like eight in the first two rounds. [NOTE: Eric Reid could slip to PITT at 64. Although, I still like Matt Elam.]

If Hampton is back, I will walk (from San Diego) to Heinz Field... and grab Tomlin by the collar... and state: "WTF are you thinking!?!"

Harrison will be a cap casualty.

Troy will rehab, and play two more good years.

Steeldude
10-24-2012, 12:12 AM
If Troy, Harrison and Hampton are not on our roster? I think they get rid of Mr. Glass Troy and move Ike to FS to take his spot. Harrison is also always hurt and makes way too much money based on his production and Hampton is just awful this year. On any other team McClendon is starting over him.

Also, not sure if its a contract year for Mendenhall but if it is, I'd worry.

Releasing Harrison prior to June 1st creates a $4.93 dead money hit for 2013, but essentially saves the team a little over $5.1 million against the cap. While the move could come after June 1st, it would only create an additional savings of $1.465 million in 2013.

The top 5 cap hits for 2013 are as follows...

BR - $19,595,000
Woodley - $13,240,000
Timmons - $11,160,000
Polamalu- $10,138,000
Harrison- $10,035,000

I am thinking they will restructure Harrison or he will be cut, but it depends how the rest of this season turns out. Will Harrison get back to playing shape or are his days over? If Harrison is cut the Steelers have no one on the team that can provide a solid, consistent and dangerous pass rush. The Steelers will need to draft a OLB in the early rounds. Then again, do the Steelers switch to a 4-3?

BR, Woodley, Polamalu and Timmons will be restructured.

Rowland2110
10-24-2012, 01:23 AM

If troy comes back and plays no more than a few games and gets hurt again, there is a very good possibility he would be cut. He has been very injury prone the last 2 years.

Hawaii 5-0
10-24-2012, 01:54 AM
If troy comes back and plays no more than a few games and gets hurt again, there is a very good possibility he would be cut. He has been very injury prone the last 2 years.

no he hasn't.

Troy started 14 games in 2010 and 16 games last season. how does that make him "very injury prone" the last 2 years?

Darkstorm05
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
no he hasn't.

Troy started 14 games in 2010 and 16 games last season. how does that make him "very injury prone" the last 2 years?

Now go look up how many games he left early due to injury those years. He "Started" 2 games this year...yet has what, like 10 minutes of play time?

maddog78
10-24-2012, 07:42 AM
The top 5 cap hits for 2013 are as follows...

BR - $19,595,000
Woodley - $13,240,000
Timmons - $11,160,000
Polamalu- $10,138,000
Harrison- $10,035,000

Scary when you think that exactly one of those guys is meeting expectations this season.

Solak
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
A safety WILL be drafted early. This is a phenomenal year for safeties... like eight in the first two rounds. [NOTE: Eric Reid could slip to PITT at 64. Although, I still like Matt Elam.]

If Hampton is back, I will walk (from San Diego) to Heinz Field... and grab Tomlin by the collar... and state: "WTF are you thinking!?!"

Harrison will be a cap casualty.

Troy will rehab, and play two more good years.

Agreed, there are a lot of good safeties. I like Elam and Vaccaro. Also need to address at least one linebacker early. Need both outside and inside.

White_Steel_Wolfe
10-24-2012, 12:38 PM

We need to:noidea:

Darkstorm05
10-24-2012, 01:09 PM
We need to:noidea:

There are a ton of people(A lot of them on this forum) that think if Troy were so banged up he were in a wheelchair, it would still be worth 10mil a year to have him parked on our sidelines. The more extreme among them would likely want him to be recognized as defensive MVP.

White_Steel_Wolfe
10-24-2012, 01:17 PM
There are a ton of people(A lot of them on this forum) that think if Troy were so banged up he were in a wheelchair, it would still be worth 10mil a year to have him parked on our sidelines. The more extreme among them would likely want him to be recognized as defensive MVP.

That's laughable- he is taking up space on the roster and being paid to watch games. I'm sick of hearing about him and how he keeps getting injured. The wind blows and Troy is injured- hell if you look at him just right he will probably fall down.:blah:

Darkstorm05
10-24-2012, 01:24 PM
That's laughable- he is taking up space on the roster and being paid to watch games. I'm sick of hearing about him and how he keeps getting injured. The wind blows and Troy is injured- hell if you look at him just right he will probably fall down.:blah:

Not saying I disagree with you. If I were running the show, he'd be taking about a 60% pay cut. But we are in the vast minority on that kind of opinion.

White_Steel_Wolfe
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Not saying I disagree with you. If I were running the show, he'd be taking about a 60% pay cut. But we are in the vast minority on that kind of opinion.

That would be a good option too- yeah we are. I get flamed and called unnecessary things when I talk about glass Troy. Haha- people go as far as to say I'm not even a real fan for wanting Troy to be cut, nice logic right?

Daniel_Amos
10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
That would be a good option too- yeah we are. I get flamed and called unnecessary things when I talk about glass Troy. Haha- people go as far as to say I'm not even a real fan for wanting Troy to be cut, nice logic right?

Your post about Troy makes me feel like you are fishing for people to flame you. I disagree with you. Last time I checked he has contributed more to winning games for the Steelers than anyone on the forums. I do believe a true fan would be rooting for people who are injured on our team to get better and help out the team. Your answer is simply cut him...I wonder if you were working some where and were injured and someone just said cut him how you would feel.

I believe if Troy could be on the field he would be there. This season is far from over and calling for heads this many games in does not help anything. :tt:

teegre
10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Your post about Troy makes me feel like you are fishing for people to flame you.

That ^

SteelersCanada
10-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah, let's cut Troy because our depth at Safety behind him has proven to be terrific and capable of making plays.

If anything, let's ask him to restructure his deal and if he doesn't - trade bait. He's not the same he used to be, but he's still head and shoulders above the next SS in the entire league.

Regarding draft options, Matt Elam isn't going to be available to us if we aren't picking high in the second round. If you're a Gator fan (I am) you're seeing how impressive he can be in making plays not only in the secondary, but in the backfield. He's also a freak athlete that will impress at the combine and there's a good chance he'll get picked between 30 - 35.

I think you should all get to know the name Dion Jordan -- he's going to be the Steelers' first round pick this year.

teegre
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Regarding draft options, Matt Elam isn't going to be available to us if we aren't picking high in the second round. If you're a Gator fan (I am) you're seeing how impressive he can be in making plays not only in the secondary, but in the backfield. He's also a freak athlete that will impress at the combine and there's a good chance he'll get picked between 30 - 35.

I originally had Elam to PITT at 32, but with there being like five toher good safeties (McDonald, Lester, et cetera), I figured that Elam might drop to 64.

I prefer Elam, tomost of the other safeties... at 32 or 64*.

* (with some other defender at 64 or 32)

SteelersCanada
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I originally had Elam to PITT at 32, but with there being like five toher good safeties (McDonald, Lester, et cetera), I figured that Elam might drop to 64.

I prefer Elam, tomost of the other safeties... at 32 or 64*.

* (with some other defender at 64 or 32)

Elam better fits the Steelers' scheme, while guys like McDonald, Reid and Vaccaro are ballhawks. I mean, the Steelers had a trade for DeCastro with the Jets all but settled and they traded up for Ta'amu, showing they're ready and willing to pull the trigger on a trade for a prospect they like. Never say never, but it's unlikely that the Steelers end up with Elam. I'd like for them to, though. He's my personal favorite Safety in this draft, regardless of whether he plays SS or FS.

Darkstorm05
10-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Your post about Troy makes me feel like you are fishing for people to flame you. I disagree with you. Last time I checked he has contributed more to winning games for the Steelers than anyone on the forums. I do believe a true fan would be rooting for people who are injured on our team to get better and help out the team. Your answer is simply cut him...I wonder if you were working some where and were injured and someone just said cut him how you would feel.

I believe if Troy could be on the field he would be there. This season is far from over and calling for heads this many games in does not help anything. :tt:

Sounds like you last checked in 2010, then. Yes, when people are making 10+ million a year to ride pine, it's acceptable to say they need to be cut or take a pay cut. Not sure how anyone could disagree with that, unless they're Troy fanboys. I sure didn't see anyone crying that Sweed got cut while on IR, and Troy has been nursing that leg for longer than Sweed was even a Steeler. There are people crying for Hampton to go, and he makes half of Troys paycheck, and actually plays. He was great too...why doesn't he get a free ride for life for his past performance? People want Ike benched and/or cut immediately...and he never misses game time. Troy could build himself a hot dog and beer stand on the sidelines though and run it full time, and he'd still get a free pass from fans.

Always great to see a fan getting ripped and called less of a fan because he doesn't agree that someone who sits the bench 80% of the time deserves to be one of the top played players on the team.