PDA

View Full Version : Steelers still banged up

Hawaii 5-0
10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Steelers still banged up in the backfield

Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-832-e1351132931135.jpg?w=248

The Steelers could need running back Jonathan Dwyer to carry the load again on Sunday, against the Redskins.

Running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman missed practice Wednesday. Mendenhall has an Achilles tendon injury; Redman is nursing an ankle problem.

Dwyer, who didn’t practice Wednesday for reasons unrelated to injury, rushed for 122 yards in a win over the Bengals.

Also missing practice for the Steelers on Wednesday were tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), and linebacker Jason Worilds (illness).

Full participants were Will Allen (ankle), linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring), and center Maurkice Pouncey (knee). Linebacker Brandon Johnson (hamstring), linebacker Adrian Robinson (concussion), and kicker Shaun Suisham (left ankle) practiced on a limited basis.

Pouncey, who missed Sunday night’s win, is expected to be available for the Week Eight game against the Redskins. Polamalu, who has appeared in only two games this season, is expected to miss the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/24/steelers-still-banged-up-in-the-backfield/

stb_steeler
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I dont mind Dwyer gettin the start.....give us a chance to see if he can handle the work load.

Daniel_Amos
10-25-2012, 01:54 PM
I dont mind Dwyer gettin the start.....give us a chance to see if he can handle the work load.

I have to say Dwyer was very impressive last Sunday. I would like to see him start a second game and put that same effort in. It will require our offensive line to reproduce last Sunday's results though. I loved how he helped finish the game.

austinfrench76
10-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Hope Dwyer gets the load again. 22 touches by a primary RB will result in a win.

maddog78
10-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Hope Dwyer gets the load again. 22 touches by a primary RB will result in a win.

Washington's got a decent run defense, but the worst pass defense in the league. We need to exploit the corners, not establish the run.

Hawaii 5-0
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Isaac Redman back for Steelers, Rashard Mendenhall isn’t

Posted by Josh Alper on October 25, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/350x-3511-e1351195829120.jpg?w=185

Things are coming into a bit more focus in terms of the health of the Steelers backfield heading into Sunday’s game against the Redskins.

For starters, it looks like they’re going to be leaning heavily on Jonathan Dwyer again. Rashard Mendenhall missed practice again with the Achilles injury that forced him to miss last week’s game against the Bengals and his chances of getting well enough to play in Week Eight aren’t looking all that good. They didn’t miss him all that much — Dwyer had 122 yards and Chris Rainey scored a touchdown — so they’ll likely be giving Mendenhall all the time he needs to get well.

The chances that Isaac Redman will be able to give Dwyer and Rainey a little help are looking a little better. Redman’s ankle felt well enough to allow him to be a limited participant in practice for the team on Thursday, an improvement from his bystander status on Wednesday and a step in the right direction in terms of his ultimate return to the field.

If Redman does play, he’ll have center Maurkice Pouncey blocking for him. Pouncey was ruled in by Mike Tomlin earlier this week and there was no change in that status after a day of practice.

“I feel really good,” Pouncey said, via the team website. “I came in this morning with not that much pain at all. I feel good today. It’s really, really positive. I am definitely playing this week.”

The earliest we’re likely to get anything so definitive about the Steelers backs is Friday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/25/isaac-redman-back-for-steelers-rashard-mendenhall-isnt/

FrancoLambert
10-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Washington's got a decent run defense, but the worst pass defense in the league. We need to exploit the corners, not establish the run.

Agree big time. I attended the Giants - Skins game. Their secondary is very weak.
I think Haley will do what he seems to be doing.....attacking a weakness.
Griffin running around scares me.

steelax04
10-25-2012, 06:05 PM

300 yards and 3 TDs by a primary QB would probably get the same result.

I think we'll get 380 yards of offense and at least 24 points. That should do the trick, or at least I hope so.

maddog78
10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
300 yards and 3 TDs by a primary QB would probably get the same result.

I think we'll get 380 yards of offense and at least 24 points. That should do the trick, or at least I hope so.

I feel a 40-burger coming and a game from Ben that puts him in the talk for MVP. Similar to the Green Bay game in 2009, except RGIII doesn't match score for score like Rodgers did.

Steelers 45 Skins 24

Ben 480 yards, 5 TDs

Bayz101
10-26-2012, 08:38 AM
I feel a 40-burger coming and a game from Ben that puts him in the talk for MVP. Similar to the Green Bay game in 2009, except RGIII doesn't match score for score like Rodgers did.

Steelers 45 Skins 24

Ben 480 yards, 5 TDs

I sure hope your right.

Men of Steel
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Kind of like that game vs the Titans, they had a horrid secondary as well. Yet we still lost somehow.

Everyeone brings their "A" game vs the Steelers. Hopefully they dont shoot themselves in the foot and play a full 60 min.

Steel_Bus_24
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Its going to be raining and muddy sunday....Im not expecting a ton of points, just hope we don't turn it over

Millers the sh!t
10-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Steelers 45 Skins 24

Ben 480 yards, 5 TDs

Steelers would never let Ben rack em up like that if we had such a large lead. As soon as we get ten points on the redskins it'll be run time. This ain't the patriots. We have class and don't keep throwing deep when we have a 35 point lead.

Hawaii 5-0
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
It's looking like Dwyer

posted by Dale Lolley
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2012

It's looking like Jonathan Dwyer will get his second consecutive start this week against Washington as Rashard Mendenhall sat out practice again Thursday, while Isaac Redman was limited.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Frequent readers of this blog know that I've thought all along that Dwyer was a better all-around player than Redman - though I like Redman as well.

And given Washington's shoddy defense, letting Mendenhall sit another week isn't a bad thing.

@ I've had to laugh when I hear the topic of the Steelers having to sit either Redman or Dwyer once everyone's healthy.

Were people not listening to what Mike Tomlin had to say about his special teams units on Tuesday.

As Tomlin said, once everyone's healthy, there may be some special teams regulars on the bench if they continue to draw penalties.

We know Baron Batch plays teams, so, in effect, he doesn't necessarily count as a running back. Same goes for Chris Rainey.

The Steelers could keep all five running backs on their roster active on game day with no real problems.

What does Leonard Pope really do, anyway? Same goes for DeMarcus Van Dyke if he continues to draw penalties.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

pete74
10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
i was against Dwyer and honestly never thought he would be a good running back but he has really impressed me and looks like the best rb on our team. im glad he proved me wrong

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Steelers Injury Report: Ryan Clark, LaMarr Woodley & Jonathan Dwyer Injured In Win

Sunday, October 28th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin met the media following the 27-12 win Sunday at Heinz Field over the Washington Redskins and gave an update of the players injured in the game.

Tomlin said that safety Ryan Clark suffered a concussion in the game and that linebacker LaMarr Woodley suffered a right hamstring strain. Tomlin said that he did not know the extent of the hamstring injury and that Woodley would get looked at again on Monday.

Also injured late in the win was running back Jonathan Dwyer, who suffered a tight right quad. Tomlin also added that he does not yet know the extent of that injury either, and that Dwyer will also be reevaluated on Monday.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/10/steelers-injury-report-ryan-clark-lamarr-woodley-jonathan-dwyer-injured-in-win/

maddog78
10-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Steelers Injury Report: Ryan Clark, LaMarr Woodley & Jonathan Dwyer Injured In Win

Sunday, October 28th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin met the media following the 27-12 win Sunday at Heinz Field over the Washington Redskins and gave an update of the players injured in the game.

Tomlin said that safety Ryan Clark suffered a concussion in the game and that linebacker LaMarr Woodley suffered a right hamstring strain. Tomlin said that he did not know the extent of the hamstring injury and that Woodley would get looked at again on Monday.

Also injured late in the win was running back Jonathan Dwyer, who suffered a tight right quad. Tomlin also added that he does not yet know the extent of that injury either, and that Dwyer will also be reevaluated on Monday.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/10/steelers-injury-report-ryan-clark-lamarr-woodley-jonathan-dwyer-injured-in-win/

Good God, we just can't stay healthy at all. I don't like the prospect of facing Eli without Troy, Clark, and Woodley.

steelersfan77
10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Good God, we just can't stay healthy at all. I don't like the prospect of facing Eli without Troy, Clark, and Woodley.

I'd expect woodley and clark to play Sunday. Dwyer to. I don't think woodley's hamstring was a pull, just a strain. Couple be wrong, either way he's had lots of problems with them the last couple seasons. Hopefully Ryan. Can pass his tests.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I'd expect woodley and clark to play Sunday. Dwyer to. I don't think woodley's hamstring was a pull, just a strain. Couple be wrong, either way he's had lots of problems with them the last couple seasons. Hopefully Ryan. Can pass his tests.

Sucks that we blew the Oakland and Tennessee games, otherwise this would be a largely meaningless interconference game where we could give those guys rest.

As it is, we don't want to drop to 4-4 so we might have to risk injured starters.

steelfury02
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
even just winning 1 of those would have been nice. Going 5-2 into NYG would have been a whole lot better, then we just need to win at Ravens and tiebreaker > equal records of 6-3.

Going 4-4 is NOT an option. They better be lookin at this game as a playoff game. Imagine splitting with Baltimore and it doesn't mean squat? Ugh.

Hawaii 5-0
10-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Tomlin remains mum about Steelers’ running backs

10/31/2012
By F. Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – If Mike Tomlin knows who his starter will be at running back when the Steelers travel to New York to face the Giants, then he’s not telling.

As he has time and again, Tomlin is keeping his cards close to his vest.

Though Tomlin said he expects to have Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer back at practice this week, he refused to say which running back will start Sunday for the Steelers (4-3) against New York (6-2).

“I’m not a big hypothetical guy,” said Tomlin. “I’m going to live day to day throughout this week and work with the guys who are healthy in preparation and kind of make the decision as we go.”

Today, that choice would be Redman, who has missed the past two games with an ankle injury.

Tomlin expects Redman to return to full practice, with Mendenhall, who has missed the past two games with a sore Achilles’ tendon, to resume work in position drills.

Dwyer, who has gained 229 yards on 34 carries in the Steelers’ last two games – both victories – is expected to sit out today with a sore quad but return to practice Thursday.

Redman started the Steelers’ first three games with Mendenhall out while recovering from a torn ACL. Redman had limited success, rushing for 72 yards on 32 carries.

Mendenhall returned for an Oct. 7 game against Philadelphia and gained 68 yards on 13 carries before rushing for just six yards on six attempts in a loss at Tennessee and aggravating his Achilles’ tendon.

After averaging only 3.0 yards per carry in their first five games, the Steelers have averaged 5.5 yards per rushing attempt that last two games with Dwyer getting the bulk of the carries.

“We thought he was a talented young guy with upside,” said Tomlin of Dwyer, a sixth round draft pick in 2010. “He was a third-year junior when he came out. He was the ACC Player of the Year. He had some consistent performances and a nice combination of experience and youth, (gaining) 1,300, 1,400 yards or whatever he had his last two years, and he was still 20 years old. We liked the upside. He’s growing and maturing since he’s been here and getting an opportunity to show us what he’s capable of. We expect that to continue.”

While Tomlin wasn’t talking much about his running back situation, the Steelers do expect to have free safety Ryan Clark back sometime this week, provided Clark passes his league mandated concussion tests. Clark suffered a concussion Sunday in the Steelers’ 27-12 victory over Washington.

“We will continue to monitor him throughout the week,” said Tomlin. “There are a battery of tests that he has to go through in order to get clearance, and rightfully so. We will proceed with that protocol (Wednesday).”

Odds and end zones

Safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and right tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) will not play against the Giants. ... Tomlin said linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) is “very questionable.” ... The Steelers released defensive lineman Corbin Bryant from the practice squad and signed guard John Malecki and fullback/tight end Jamie McCoy.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-31-2012-Steelers-running-backs