PDA

View Full Version : Front Office not going to add Motorcycle clause...

AZ_Steeler
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
to Big Bens contract. ttp://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601089&sid=am2t9myFOJUM&refer=home

Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney said he won't try to add a ban on motorcycle riding to Ben Roethlisberger's contract, even after the quarterback was seriously injured after a crash in June.

``I think you need to trust your players,'' Rooney said during an interview before NFL owners meetings in Northbrook, Illinois. ``I think everyone probably learned a lesson from what happened.''

Roethlisberger, 24, who led the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks in last year's Super Bowl, underwent seven hours of surgery after colliding with a car in Pittsburgh. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

He broke his nose and upper and lower jaws in the crash. He also lost two teeth and sustained a mild concussion.

Roethlisberger later said that he wouldn't tape any public service messages in support of wearing a motorcycle helmet, because he didn't feel it was his place to tell others how to live their lives. He told ESPN in July that he would wear a helmet if he rides his motorcycle again.

The quarterback, who is entering his third year in the NFL, signed a six-year contract in 2004 that could be worth as much as $39.7 million. The deal included $9 million in guaranteed bonus money, $13 million in base salary and as much as $17.7 million in incentives.

Roethlisberger has recovered enough from his injuries to work out with the team at its training camp in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.

This is definitely an organization that doesn't like to play the patty cake game and add all of these do's and don't to player contracts. For the FO to come out and say how much they trust their players to make the right decisions speaks volumes and shows what A+ organization Steelers football really is.

Jeremy
08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Interesting tactic by Mr. Rooney. This places the ball firmly in Ben's court. Mr. Rooney is placing a lot of faith in his quaterback and it's up to his quaterback to step up and show he's worthy of that trust.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Personally, I don't agree with it. I don't see how installing the clause would have made them a F- organization. It's called protecting your interests. One that has already come close to killing himself while riding the fastest street bike manufactured on city streets minus a license or a helmet. Whatever though, it's not my call. Here's to hoping he learned his lesson. During his public statement after the accident, it left me with doubt.

Just my two cents.

SteelerzGirl
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I believe the Steelers organization is making a huge mistake in not adding a motorcycle clause to Ben's contract. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Personally, I don't agree with it. I don't see how installing the clause would have made them a F- organization. It's called protecting your interests. One that has already come close to killing himself while riding the fastest street bike manufactured on city streets minus a license or a helmet. Whatever though, it's not my call. Here's to hoping he learned his lesson. During his public statement after the accident, it left me with doubt.

Just my two cents.

I'm with you on this one bro. I'm a big Ben fan but I totally think the Steelers should put a motorcycle clause in Big Ben's contract. I guess oh well and we just can hope that Ben stays off the bikes until his playing days are over.

19ward86
08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
i think rooney has a point though i think trust should be good enough. i know he is young and has a lot of money but just the fact that he trust ben is really big.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I feel the Rooney's already showed him that trust when they signed him to be their franchise QB for the future with a nice fat paycheck. I also feel they showed him that trust when they did not bother installing the motorcycle clause in his first contract. Still a bad move no matter what way you cut it in my opinion.

Since the Rooney's have showed him the trust with this most recent clause situation, he should at least have enough respect for the organization as a whole to stay off the bike until he's retired. If he doesn't, that trust shown to him by the Rooney's obviously means nothing to him. Like I said though, it's not my decision. It's a big gamble though and if Ben wants to prove to me again that off the football field he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, be my guest. Next time around, I won't be one of the ones on here feeling pitty for him if another accident occurs.

Just for the record, I can't count how many motorcycle related deaths I have read or heard about in the Pittsburgh area since the start of Summer. Many were wearing helmets. Sad story the other day in the Pittsburgh area. Two brothers. One crashed his bike and died. His other brother was on his bike on the way to his dead brother's accident scene and got hit by a car and died. Here's the story if anybody is interested: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06218/711631-100.stm

siss
08-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I think they are showing trust and loyalty to Ben by not putting in a clause. Ben has a histroy of showing loyalty to those who show loyalty to him (coaches and such), so maybe there thinking is that if they don't make him stop riding he will sign with them and be there QB for the next 15 years.
There not gunna keep Ben come contract time if they put a clause like that in his contract. Besides that Ben's a big boy and he can make his own descions and from everything I have heard and seen from him he learns from his mistakes (see AFCC 2004 vs. AFCC 2005 BIG difference).
I think everything will be fine.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I guess oh well and we just can hope that Ben stays off the bikes until his playing days are over.

Unfortunately, that's all we can do at this point. I would feel alot more comfortable knowing the clause was in his contract or maybe Ben simply stating "I'm going to put the bike down until I retire since you have shown the trust (and fat contract) in me.". I guess that would be asking too much? Oh well, I've said my peace in post #7 in this thread.

ptgnzlz7
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Pardon my ignorance -- but what "protection" would a clause really give them anyway? Contracts int he NFL aren't guaranteed. Whether he had a clause in his contract or not, if Big Ben did the same thing again and couldn't play, the outcome would be the same -- they'd cut his same mistake twice makin' butt.

I can see maybe on an extension when there could be some new signing bonus $$$ in play, but...

In then end we'll all be screaming for Omar Jacobs anyway.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I am firmly in the camp with the people who believe there should be a 'motorcycle clause' in Bens contract.

But I remember shortly after this incident happened that there was talk of this clause being added to his next contract - not the one he is currently honoring.

Its a possibility that they can't go back and make alterations 'after-the-fact' to an existing contract - maybe it breaks some of the CBA rules?

My guess is that Rooney's talk of 'trusting' Ben can be roughly translated as ' we cant do anything at the moment - even if we wanted to'

NM

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Pardon my ignorance -- but what "protection" would a clause really give them anyway? Contracts int he NFL aren't guaranteed. Whether he had a clause in his contract or not, if Big Ben did the same thing again and couldn't play, the outcome would be the same -- they'd cut his same mistake twice makin' butt.

I can see maybe on an extension when there could be some new signing bonus $$$ in play, but...

Theoretically the clause would kick into action as soon as Ben stepped on to a bike, or at least stepped onto one without a helmet - he wouldnt need to actually have to have an accident in order to be breaching the terms of the contract.

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM

With the clause he has two options with a clause:

Lose money from riding a bike. Accident or no accident.

or

Staying off the bike, make money and show this organization some respect.

ptgnzlz7
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Theoretically the clause would kick into action as soon as Ben stepped on to a bike, or at least stepped onto one without a helmet - he wouldnt need to actually have to have an accident in order to be breaching the terms of the contract.

NM

But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent? The Steelers greatest leverage here is that he almost killed himself and contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. He rides again and gets hurt -- it's what's ever left of theat 13 mil and the 17 mil in performance incentives he won't be getting.

I'm pretty sure there's a policy in my contract against personal use of the internet, and pretty much all it does is give my employer [another] reason to fire me any time they want, in other words, my contract isn't guaranteed.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM

Just my two cents.

Yes. This is a no-brainer. I think he has learned his lesson BUT the Rooney's should remove any doubt for Ben. When the motorcycle issue comes up Ben can just defer to the clause and not the fact there may be other reasons why he won't ride. He can 'save face'.

He isn't Barrett Brooks. He is the KEY MAN and KEY MAN insurance compensation won't undue the damage.

That being said I'm ready for the whole issue to be swept under the carpet.

Livinginthe past
08-07-2006, 04:06 PM
But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent? The Steelers greatest leverage here is that he almost killed himself and contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. He rides again and gets hurt -- it's what's ever left of theat 13 mil and the 17 mil in performance incentives he won't be getting.

I'm pretty sure there's a policy in my contract against personal use of the internet, and pretty much all it does is give my employer [another] reason to fire me any time they want, in other words, my contract isn't guaranteed.

As well as Ben has played so far in his short career - if he is willing to break a specific clause in a contract with the Steelers then the the Steelers wouldnt want him.

He would end up potentially costing them to much money if they re-invested in him after his rookie contract and he had another, more serious, spill.

NM

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
But really, if the Steelers are 5-3 in Ocotber and Ben is seen cruising Carson Street with his hair flapping in the breeze, what are the Steelers going to do? Cut him? Fine him until he leaves as a free agent?

Your talking hypotheticals now.

If there was a motorcycle clause installed from the start, do you think Ben would have been driving around the city on a motorcyle while losing cash in his first and second years? Who wants to lose money? Your making it sound as if losing big bucks over that time period is no big deal. He will also leave here having a reputation of being a complete moron who cared more about himself than the others around him. If he's content with the above, then so be it. There's nothing else the Rooney's can do.

When all is said and done, it comes down to respect in my book. Obviously brains and commonsense are not there (at least that remains to be seen), but I'm now hoping that respect for your employer, fans and teammates might eventually come into place since a clause doesn't seem be in his contract future.

AZ_Steeler
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
When all is said and done, regardless of a clause or not I'm sure Ben will make the right decision and hopefully not jeopardize his playing career like he did 2 months ago. We all have made stupid and dangerous mistakes and hopefully learned something from our mistakes... it's all a part of life and growing up.

Bottom line is, the FO is entrusting their players to make the decisions rather than adding a bunch of baby sitting clauses, these guys are all grown men and should be able to make decisions about what they want and don't want to do. If they choose to jeopardize a huge contract and their playing career then it's really their own choice.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
He isn't Barrett Brooks. He is the KEY MAN and KEY MAN insurance compensation won't undue the damage.

Excellent point.

ptgnzlz7
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Your talking hypotheticals now.

If there was a motorcycle clause installed from the start, do you think Ben would have been driving around the city on a motorcyle while losing cash in his first and second years? Who wants to lose money? Your making it sound as if losing big bucks over that time period is no big deal.

When all is said and done, it comes down to respect in my book. Obviously brains and commonsense are not there (at least that remains to be seen), but I'm now hoping that respect for your employer, fans and teammates might eventually come into place.

I basically agree with everything you are saying...losing big bucks is a big deal, that's why the Steelers insure his contract. The financial downside to Ben, having an UNGUARANTEED CONTRACT, is much greater than to the Steelers with an insured contract and sellouts as far as the eyes can see.

If Ben were to sign a contract with that clause, it would basicly be just that, a sign of respect. It doesn't really increase or decrease the Steelers risk in any way.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
When all is said and done, regardless of a clause or not I'm sure Ben will make the right decision and hopefully not jeopardize his playing career like he did 2 months ago.

Here's to hoping.

We all have made stupid and dangerous mistakes and hopefully learned something from our mistakes... it's all a part of life and growing up.

No doubt. Smart people learn from those mistakes and state they will never do them again. I'm not so sure about this situation. While Ben has stated he will ride with a helmet, he has not ruled out riding a motorcycle while under contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is, the FO is entrusting their players to make the decisions rather than adding a bunch of baby sitting clauses,

Clauses in which many players have. One who is considered your teams future would be my first choice with clauses.

these guys are all grown men and should be able to make decisions about what they want and don't want to do. If they choose to jeopardize a huge contract and their playing career then it's really their own choice.

Even though many times they don't act like grown men. This comes back to having the "right/choice" to do something or actually proving that you are the "supposed leader" of this football team and putting your own wants and needs on the backburner and doing what's good for the team. It's called respect or is that asking too much from athletes these days, especially from our "leader"? You don't feel there should be a mutual respect between the two parties?

The Rooney's: Ben, we will give you millions and win you Super Bowls if you can just put the bike down until your retired?

Ben: Sure Mr. Rooney.

That would be nice.

AZ_Steeler
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I definitely agree with the "respect" factor 83-Steelers-43. Like I said, hopefully he has learned something from his accident and it helped put a lot of things into perspective, especially being the leader of the Steelers now with the departure of Jerome. Let's just hope and pray Ben will put his personal preferences aside and put his team first until he decides to hang it up for good.

With the Rooney's saying they won't add the clause, IMO, they are basically telling Ben "Look, you made a mistake we will let that one slide. We aren't going to add a clause to your contract, but we hope you make the right decision next time" Now the ball is in Ben's court to see how he responds... Does he make the right decisions and shows everyone that he is going to be the "leader" of this team or is going to to disrespect everyone around him and who supports him... Time will tell... Unfortunately we won't have that answer until next spring.

83-Steelers-43
08-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I definitely agree with the "respect" factor 83-Steelers-43. Like I said, hopefully he has learned something from his accident and it helped put a lot of things into perspective, especially being the leader of the Steelers now with the departure of Jerome. Let's just hope and pray Ben will put his personal preferences aside and put his team first until he decides to hang it up for good.

Please keep in mind I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I have gathered he's good with the fans. At the same time, unlike a certain few (not meaning you by any means), I don't let that cloud my judgement of him as a player and what he should do out of pure respect for the organization simply because he's Ben Roethlisberger and not Dan Kreider or Haynes. Some only care about one player on this roster and one player only. It shows when holding a conversation dealing with other Steeler related topics.

Eitherway brother, here's to hoping he makes the right decision and we can all enjoy ring #6 in the near future.

AZ_Steeler
08-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Please keep in mind I respect the guy as an athlete and from what I have gathered he's good with the fans. At the same time, unlike a certain few (not meaning you by any means), I don't let that cloud my judgement of him as a player and what he should do out of pure respect for the organization simply because he's Ben Roethlisberger and not Dan Kreider or Haynes. Some only care about one player on this roster and one player only. It shows when holding a conversation dealing with other Steeler related topics.

Eitherway brother, here's to hoping he makes the right decision and we can all enjoy ring #6 in the near future.

Sounds good to me!!!! :drink:

SteelerzGirl
08-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Didn't I see posted here at SF somewhere right after Ben came out of the hospital from his motorcycle accident that the Steelers organization sent Ben some type of letter about this issue, or was that letter about something else? I don't remember.

HometownGal
08-08-2006, 06:43 AM

Well stated, 83, and I couldn't agree with you more. Ben has developed into a very good QB in such a short period of time and I think he is going to only get better.
His value to the team goes without saying, but he is only one wheel in the cog in the grand scheme of things. Success takes teamwork, as well as trust and confidence in each other to get the job done. I hope Mr. Rooney's approach here will really make Ben think about his actions not only affecting his play, but the team as a whole.

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Didn't I see posted here at SF somewhere right after Ben came out of the hospital from his motorcycle accident that the Steelers organization sent Ben some type of letter about this issue, or was that letter about something else? I don't remember.

You are correct. Ben's agent stated that Ben received a letter from Steeler representatives warning him that parts of his contract might be affected if he were to be injured while riding a motorcyle. The letter was apparently sent in order to both put the team on solid legal footing were a major accident to occur, and apprise Ben of the risks he is taking by riding a motorcycle.

Nothing ever came of it.