PDA

View Full Version : Good win today

Fire Arians
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM
But, was it the Steelers being good or just the skins being awful? The dropped passes certainly didn't help them at all, and a lot of their players were injured.

I liked the aggression from the defense, and the offense is finally starting to click. Offensive line looked sharp for the 2nd week in a row and no injuries to that unit.

The team looks like they're getting their stuff together finally, but have a tough test next week at New York, which won't be easy.

Anyone thinking we can beat the giants at NY?

GMU Steeler
10-28-2012, 03:25 PM
We had some good fortune with their drops but the offense was really clicking on all cylinders. I'm becoming a Dwyer fan. He reminds me a little of Bettis back there. Power and nice foot movement. Nice to have a relatively stress free game. I think this will be a top team once we get healthy.

Lady Steel
10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
DeAngelo Hall of Redskins ejected for jawing at referee

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

DeAngelo Hall didn't see the end of Sunday's ugly 27-12 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Washington Redskins cornerback was ejected late in the fourth quarter after jawing at an official, who flagged Hall for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The combined penalty and ejection moved Pittsburgh 30 yards to the Washington 35 with 3:45 left in the game. The Steelers chewed up the clock from there to leave the Redskins with a 3-5 record.

Hall's temper tantrum was arguably the low point of a problem-filled outing for Washington's defense, which allowed Pittsburgh to grind out 355 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000086095/article/redskins-deangelo-hall-ejected-for-jawing-at-ref

I'm still :laughing:. Click on the link to view Hall's meltdown.

teegre
10-28-2012, 03:39 PM
1. Yes, WASH had some drops, but the "two dropped TD passes" were in succession, and followed by a TD. As in: if either of those is caught, it'd be the same result: ONE score.

2. The offense scored on five of its first six drives, with the punt pinning WASH at the one. You really can't ask for better than that.

3. WASH was averaging 170 yards rushing. Today: less than 80.

4. AB's recalled punt return makes for one TD and five long returns CALLED BACK!!!

5. O-line gave up NO sacks.

6. Wallace showed up.

7. Yes, the Steelers have a very good chance against the NYGiants. I predict a close (6 point) win. Furthermore, I say it's a SuperBowl preview.

GoFor7
10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Best play of the game right here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000086271/Roethlisberger-errant-pass-hits-referee

PhantomJB93
10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
The dropped passes unnerved me because I feel like this game could have been much closer if their receivers weren't so bad. I'm not expecting a win next week, but we do have a small chance. It will be very hard if Clark is out though, Eli will tear our secondary to shreds.

SteelersCanada
10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
This offense is firing on all cylinders right now. Wallace found his hands, Brown and Sanders were again reliable and Miller was just being Miller again. All the credit in the world to Dwyer - 17 carries for 107 is impressive. Being the first 100 rd. rusher against a team is also impressive, especially against a decent ranked defense that was allowing fewer than 80 YP/G.

How about this offensive line? More importantly, Mike Adams. The kid just looked comfortable out there. Sure, he still needs some time to develop, but he's coming along nicely.

This team is buying into what the coaching staff is doing and it's starting to pay off. When this team gets healthy, they'll once again be a juggernaut in the AFC.

TRH
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
i think our defense got very lucky with all the dropped passes today. They should have definitely moved the ball better - and would have if a lot of those balls were caught.

Also - our special teams. How many times can they royally screw up in one year? They should fine all of them $2500 each and donate it to Antonio Brown. Sheez.............

NSMaster56
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Not surprisingly, winning solves most everything.

Even when the Steelers were 'struggling', their O was not the problem.

In fact, defensive woes aside, they're still the best statistical pass D...

Being among the leaders in TOP helps, too.

All early concerns aside, it's starting to look like those were mostly 'chicken little' fears.

This team is pretty fundamentally sound; it just was on the bad end of a few bad breaks which decided a couple of games.

The schedule is not getting too much easier down the stretch, but on the whole, there's been plenty to like about the Steelers through 7 games in 2012.

FanSince72
10-28-2012, 04:49 PM
1. Yes, WASH had some drops, but the "two dropped TD passes" were in succession, and followed by a TD. As in: if either of those is caught, it'd be the same result: ONE score.

2. The offense scored on five of its first six drives, with the punt pinning WASH at the one. You really can't ask for better than that.

3. WASH was averaging 170 yards rushing. Today: less than 80.

4. AB's recalled punt return makes for one TD and five long returns CALLED BACK!!!

5. O-line gave up NO sacks.

6. Wallace showed up.

7. Yes, the Steelers have a very good chance against the NYGiants. I predict a close (6 point) win. Furthermore, I say it's a SuperBowl preview.

I agree.

There's been a definite turnaround in this team and there's no doubt in my mind that it's "for real".

We played our way out of a slump and as anyone who has ever played a sport knows, it takes talent as well as some luck to get things pointed the right way and that's what I've seen so far. The injuries have been a blessing in disguise because without them, we'd never have been able to explore the talent we have on the bench and wouldn't have put starters in a position to step up their games as some have done.

If we were doing this with a so-so QB or were a team with no real history, I'd be inclined to think of all this as lucky. But we're not such a team and we know how to win and I think we just needed a kick-start and these last few weeks have provided that.

I can honestly see us winning it all.

tanda10506
10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
The game DEFINITELY would have been closer if they would have caught the majority of those passes. That said, we still would have won. The team looks like they are getting it together, it's not 100% yet but it's on the right track. Polamalu has dropped off a lot since 2008-2010 but he will still be an improvement when he gets back. Hampton is getting better and Harrison still has a while to go before he's 100% (according to Tomlin). The defense will get a bit better then what we seen today and the offense will be real good if they continue to grow as they are. Also, the O line is looking pretty good, and that's with Adams still in there. I think the run game will continue to get better also as long as Dwyer keeps getting the majority of the carries. We've had a tendency since 2009 of losing games after a good win and it still worries me, but we have now won back to back games and one of them was a road win, and the wins were in Steeler fashion. It's looking like the team is back!

As far as beating the Giants goes, we have a chance. I think our offense is still developing and I don't see them being able to out score the Giants (who are capable of scoring big), so it will be up to the defense to limit Manning's offense to 20 points or less, and that's a tall task. I still think we have a good chance though IF Dwyer runs like he has and the defense gets a few TO's and/or stops.

lardlad
10-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I think the defense deserve some credit for those drops. At least half of them were broken up. Also the running game was practically shut down. The plays were there to be had though.

Rotorhead
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
I dont know, the Gmen arent looking so good against Dallas right now. Olny winning at the half due to a million turnovers. I think our def is much better than Dallas' def.

harrison'samonster
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
it was a good looking win today. I also think that the D deserves some credit for some of the drops. Dwyer was running great and Big Ben looks like he's at the top of his game.

We've got a chance against the Giants next week, it's definitely going to be a close one either way.

tony hipchest
10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
i think our defense got very lucky with all the dropped passes today. They should have definitely moved the ball better - and would have if a lot of those balls were caught.

:bs: if we didnt even bother putting a defense on the field they shouldve scored on every play. i knew people were gonna "blame" this steelers win on all the redskins dropped passes.

the redskins wanted no part of catching that ball. after ryan clark tattoo'd griffins ass and then knocking his own self out laying licks, the redskins are the ones who "GOT LUCKY" we werent putting them in the hospital.

we are the hardest hitting defense in the league. it shows up on tape and the redskins wanted NO part of it. some of you guys act like you just started watching steelers fottball yesterday.

they were looking for the hit and bracing for it before the ball was even in their vicinity. the dropped passes were a direct result of the steelers imposing their will on the opposition.

this "woe is us, we were soooooo lucky to eek out a win" is a losers mentality and its quite pathetic from the fanbase of such a proud franchise.

thats shit brownsfans say.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
7 measily 2nd half points is a bit disturbing...combined with only 10 second half points last week ...:noidea:

steelersforever58
10-28-2012, 06:01 PM
7 measily 2nd half points is a bit disturbing...combined with only 10 second half points last week ...:noidea:

Agree. I know a win is a win, but didn't Ben have like 170 plus yards in the first half alone? Did they go into the old Cowher game plan of taking a lead into the second half and play not to lose it as opposed to trying to build on it? If I'm not mistaken the Steelers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league in the 4th qtr.. For me 40+ passes a game should be the norm.

austinfrench76
10-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Pumped about the way Wallace played today. We need him if we have any chance next week! Dwyers a stud. Go Steelers!

WVABE
10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
I thought we done well in a phases of the game,
except that drive where RG3 threw 3 TD passes (2 drops).

I believe our run will continue for the next several weeks too.

I smell 12-4

ETL
10-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Pumped about the way Wallace played today. We need him if we have any chance next week! Dwyers a stud. Go Steelers!

Wallace is playing for $$$'s and for now I don't mind that his misguided motivations are aligned with the Steeler's goals,

If he wants to cash in after the season, he needs to continue play well ... so go Mike Wallace.

GMU Steeler
10-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Agree. I know a win is a win, but didn't Ben have like 170 plus yards in the first half alone? Did they go into the old Cowher game plan of taking a lead into the second half and play not to lose it as opposed to trying to build on it? If I'm not mistaken the Steelers are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league in the 4th qtr.. For me 40+ passes a game should be the norm.

Honestly, is that really such a bad thing? Cowherball was effective. Do you remember the stat his teams had when up by 10+ points. And honestly with Dwyer establishing himself as a running back that will fight for every last yard, I like grinding it out. If we're playing a more tougher offense and in a tighter game, I understand passing but I have no problem with the game plan today. Look at this way. We were up by 14 going into half time. We won by 15.

steelerchad
10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
The Steelers took the air out of the ball in the 2nd half. I'm not worried at all about only scoring 10 points in the 2nd half. They dominated that game and the Redskins receivers were scared shitless. They knew their rookie QB was gonna lay it up and then they were gonna get laid out. This team looked very good today against a team that has put up huge offensive numbers both passing and rushing. RG3 was throwing at a 70% completion clip and was 16 for 34 today and the skins only had another 70 or so rushing. We also did a great job of not letting RG3 hurt us with his feet.

The Steelers started rolling in the 2nd half of the Cincy game and it continued today.

GMU Steeler
10-28-2012, 06:34 PM
The Steelers took the air out of the ball in the 2nd half. I'm not worried at all about only scoring 10 points in the 2nd half. They dominated that game and the Redskins receivers were scared shitless. They knew their rookie QB was gonna lay it up and then they were gonna get laid out. This team looked very good today against a team that has put up huge offensive numbers both passing and rushing. RG3 was throwing at a 70% completion clip and was 16 for 34 today and the skins only had another 70 or so rushing. We also did a great job of not letting RG3 hurt us with his feet.

The Steelers started rolling in the 2nd half of the Cincy game and it continued today.

Plus we were on our way to scoring on the final drive but we decided not to kick the final FG for some reason. We've been closing games out better the past two weeks which is all I ask for if we're going to get fairly sizable leads early.

Fire Arians
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM
the drops were in big part to the defenses being physical. granted if they had tough as nails WR's like hines ward they'd catch some but for the most part, we had good play in the secondary. those wr's were definitely hearing the footsteps.

we had a few drops, one by sanders that could have put the game on ice, but I was for the most part, pleased with our 4 minute offense.

I thought dwyer had a strong game, but it could have been better. A couple times I seen monster holes open up and he ran to the wrong side. But with a 100 yd performance, I won't complain.

Offensive line was in beast mode. Impressed with Adams, but they will face a test next week against the Giants D-line which is probably been the best in the NFL for some time.

Defense is getting their swagger back, which is good. Clark getting injured, not so much. I don't know if I like the idea of starting mundy vs eli manning. Will Allen has been playing pretty good though. Keenan is stepping up his game.

We REALLY need to cut out those penalties on special teams, it seems like we had 4 touchdowns this season called back from shit penalties. Not only scoring plays, but many good returns to set up excellent field position were wasted because of penalties. if we can stop these flags on ST, we could have one of the more potent return units in the league. if, if, if

maddog78
10-28-2012, 07:15 PM
A lot of their "drops" were forced by hard hits. I'm taking it. Good win.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 07:26 PM
A lot of their "drops" were forced by hard hits. I'm taking it. Good win.

I'm with you, any win in the NFL is a good win...:tt02:

lardlad
10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Honestly, is that really such a bad thing? Cowherball was effective. Do you remember the stat his teams had when up by 10+ points. And honestly with Dwyer establishing himself as a running back that will fight for every last yard, I like grinding it out. If we're playing a more tougher offense and in a tighter game, I understand passing but I have no problem with the game plan today. Look at this way. We were up by 14 going into half time. We won by 15.

108-1-1 for "Cowher ball". You will never see a more telling stat. But wait this is a new nfl blah blah blah barf. I don't buy it.

FrancoLambert
10-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Good team win minus special teams. OL was solid again, protected Ben well and opened holes for the running game.
Love the unpredictability of Haley's offense....Pope and Johnson with td's.
Dwyer's running hard with a lot of confidence.
Defense hit hard and dictated play at times.
The arrow is definitely pointing up.

lardlad
10-28-2012, 07:35 PM

At least half those "drops" we're actually broken up. Not a drop IMO. I think many people are overlooking this. If you crush someone, time it right -- not a drop. If you get a hand on the ball -- not a drop.

tony hipchest
10-28-2012, 07:57 PM

appearantly not good enough.

appearantly the steelers were just "lucky"... as if slobberknocking the shit out of people isnt creating ones own luck.

keenan lewis was pretty much glued to his man all day. ike taylor was tested maybe 3 times (moss is an older, frail, speedy, guy. he wanted no part of ike who is way more physical than him.

redskins drew up a few nice plays to get TE's and wr's isolated on our LB's but for the most part we were getting in RGIII's grill to quick for him to execute.

after getting hit by clark and timmons, you could tell he really wanted no part in getting hit by any of our bigger guys.

they seemed to play a much more conventional offense cause we were shutting down the run. once they figured out we were tough to trick and woodley was staying at home on his side, i dont even think they went to the run-option again.

casey hampton (who played well and got good push) said it best on thursday. "we cant sit back and react, we have to force them to react to us".

excellent gameplan, excellent execution, although im sure fans tears were shed cause they had the audacity to allow an offensive touchdown.

still allowing less than 13 points at home this season (last year was 10ppg).

teegre
10-28-2012, 08:25 PM

I hear what you're trying to say. BUT...

The offense scored on five of its first six drives, with the punt pinning WASH at the one.

After that, it was grind out the clock.

I saw NO problem with that gameplan.

IF... WASH had become a threat (ie scored more than a FG/got within 10 points), I am sure that BB would have passed more. As it was, PITT ate up five minutes of clock; punted deep; and played defense (mostly, three & outs). Again, I have no problem with this gameplan.

SteelCurtain5643
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Great game today, for once the team looked solid on both sides. Hopefully this is a good sign that this team is turning a page. Gonna be a great game against the GMen, especially because the Giants D looks a little shaky now.

steelerchad
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Great game today, for once the team looked solid on both sides. Hopefully this is a good sign that this team is turning a page. Gonna be a great game against the GMen, especially because the Giants D looks a little shaky now.

Letting the Cowboys come that close to winning the game with 6 turnovers and giving away a 23 point lead. Coughlin didn't look happy, but then he never does.

ZoneBlitzer
10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Solid effort. I'm still concerned about the offense petering out in the second half but solid effort nonetheless. They got lucky at times but good teams seem to get luck on their side. Hopefully they can keep this going. They still have little room for error and they'll need to see how they measure up against the elite Giants.

bornaSteelersfan
10-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Did all of you watch the same game I did?! Some of the comments on here make me scratch my head. We got lucky...Redskins dropped a lot of passes...Special teams is bad...not enough offense in the second half...

We beat the snot of the Redskins! Their receivers were terrified to get clobbered! Most of those Redskins drops were due to fear and our D getting their hands on the ball or "blowing them up". Special teams had one questionable penalty (block was simply a split second before Brown ran by). ST also had a punt downed on the 1 yardline. We had a huge lead and kept the ball in bounds and on the ground in the second half. That is how The Steelers finish games. It is demoralizing.

The Steelers played one of the most physical games all season. They got inside the heads of The Redskins. Look what happened to their veteran, Hall. This game was not even close from the opening drive.

Steeldude
10-29-2012, 05:34 AM
That was a lucky win on Sunday.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 08:58 AM
ken laird and mike logan on trib live radio agree with me. http://sportstalk.triblive.com/

the redskins seemed to throw in the towel at the end of the 2nd quarter, knowing they couldnt compete with us. rgiii (who had been tearing up teams all year as the work horse) had only 2 runs up to that point, and 6 for the game. the receivers were getting hammered.

we totally took them out of their game and bit the head off the snake.

there aint no "luck" in that.

this wasnt the refs throwing a beneficial flag or their star player being knocked out with an injury...

it was an old fashion ass thrashin.

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 09:06 AM
I would agree, this was as good a win as any team could want. The skins drops and all...well, when you're playing dominant football, things just tend to go your way. This was proof. It was good luck, but we made it for ourselves out there on the field.

We played physical, but smart(No stupid 15 yard penalties this week). The offense took what they gave us but stayed patient, switched things up to keep them guessing, and got the job done.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
according to ed b.-

Robert Griffin's receivers largely failed their tests by dropping, unofficially, seven of his passes. The steady rain that fell throughout might have been a factor, although linebacker James Harrison suggested something else at work.

"Some may be rain, and you can look and see when a guy is trying to catch the ball and moves his head around sometimes just to see who's there. When guys are flying around and hitting people, you're going to have that."

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Labriola on win over Redskins

by Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

It would be easy to be seduced by what happened last Sunday at Heinz Field, just as it was easy to despair over what went on in Oakland and then in Nashville over a three-week period about a month ago. An NFL season can have more ups and downs than a roller coaster for a team’s fans, but at least it seems as though the Steelers are ready to get off the ride.

Thanks to their 27-12 victory over the Washington Redskins last Sunday at Heinz Field, the Steelers have pulled themselves over .500 for the first time this season, but even more significantly there has been a consistency of performance developing that’s as significant as the wins they have begun to stack.

The contention that the Steelers have disembarked the roller coaster should not be assumed to mean their performances now will take on a steady ascending arc, because they very well could lose this Sunday to the New York Giants. And maybe even look bad doing it.

But nobody gets through an NFL season unscathed anymore, particularly not the high profile teams with the high profile players. It has happened to everybody during these initial wacky weekends where, just to cite one example, the Miami Dolphins are nipping at the heels of the New England Patriots for first place in the AFC East. Were you watching “Hard Knocks?” Those Dolphins are one-half game behind Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Explain that.

It can be explained simply by accepting that what happens in the NFL often is inexplicable, and only then do things begin to come into focus.

The 2012 Steelers are flawed, and making a list of those should be a simple matter for anyone who has been paying even marginal attention since Labor Day. But it has taken the last fortnight for some of their qualities to blossom and become something more than a rumor. Something substantial they should be able to use as the basis for a run at the championship of the AFC North, and then after that, who knows.

The Steelers still have issues, and those issues can cost them any of the remaining games on their schedule, but what has happened of late is that they have learned they are capable of compensating with other players or with other facets of their game, and they are capable of compensating sufficiently to start stacking some wins.

What has happened over the past fortnight is the Steelers have stayed relevant in both their division and their conference through a very rough patch for them that included a slew of injuries to some key players at same stage of development when individuals are working to come together as offensive and defensive units. Now they are one-game behind the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North and tied in the loss column with the teams currently atop the AFC East and AFC West.

The Steelers are 4-3 and they have learned how to deal with their own foibles, inadequacies, and a bunch of injuries. There’s still half a season left, and their injured continue to heal. A lot of football left, so buckle up. Should be a heckuva ride to the finish line.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Labriola-on-win-over-Redskins/00b7c231-9f95-43de-9100-92840eb952ba