PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer is the Steelers Digest Player of Week

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Dwyer is Digest Player of Week

Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

With 107 yards rushing on 17 carries against the Redskins at Heinz Field, Jonathan Dwyer became the first Steelers back to post consecutive 100-yard games since Willie Parker. The 100-yard game also was Dwyer’s third in a career in which he has played only 13 games over his first three pro seasons. Add in one catch for 8 yards, and Dwyer had 115 yards from scrimmage in the Steelers’ 27-12 victory.

Jonathan Dwyer is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were: Larry Foote, who had six tackles, including two for loss, and the team’s only sack of Robert Griffin III; Will Allen, who had five tackles and three passes defensed; Keenan Lewis, who had two tackles and three passes defensed; Lawrence Timmons, who had two tackles and three hits on the quarterback; Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 24-of-33 for 222 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions; and an offensive line that paved the way for the running backs to average 5.2 yards per carry, for Roethlisberger not to be sacked, and for the Steelers to enjoy an edge in time of possession of better than six minutes.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dwyer-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/602b4396-2afa-4ce4-a588-a9a35cd8e9f8

steeltheone
10-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Dwyer has done as nice job filling in, but he could not start for any other team in the league...get well Mendy!

FanSince72
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Dwyer = Bettis V2.0

Not since Jerome have we had a true "power back".
I think Dwyer is the real deal and has provided running game stability which greatly enhances our passing game.

I know that the rule is that you can't lose your job to injury, but every rule has an exception. Even if Mendy and Redman return at 100%, I think we'd be crazy to sit Dwyer.

finesward
10-28-2012, 05:45 PM
He could start for the team he beat today. I could think of a few more if I had to

TRH
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I've never been big on Mendenhall - and still ain't. I just don't believe he's one of the league's better backs.

We'd do just fine.....more than fine....with Dwyer and Redman. Dwyer has def made it more difficult for the other two.

lipps83
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Dwyer has done as nice job filling in, but he could not start for any other team in the league...get well Mendy!

You for sure about that? There are a lot of bad backs out there.

He isn't flashy. We don't need flashy.

Flashy is not Steelers football.

Today was the first day in a while that looked to me like Steelers football.

EbonySteel86
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I got a man crush on Dwyer! That dude reminds me of Bettis so much. Defenders don't know if they gonna get trucked or juked out their socks!!!! He breaks long runs ALL the time! Love that dude!

GMU Steeler
10-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I like Dwyer. I thin we could have a potential thunder and lightning thing with him and Rainey if we use them right.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Dwyer = Bettis V2.0

Not since Jerome have we had a true "power back".

Dwyer has quick feet and good vision, but by no means is he a true "power back".

Dwyer got stood up on the goal line from 1 yard out, I'm pretty sure Bettis would not have been stopped on that particular play...

frunko1
10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Dwyer has quick feet and good vision, but by no means is he a true "power back".

Dwyer got stood up on the goal line from 1 yard out, I'm pretty sure Bettis would not have been stopped on that particular play...

Just need to get him downtown eating some more primanti brothers. Then he will be rumbling through the line.

cubanstogie
10-28-2012, 09:00 PM

How about some recognition. Mendy needs to earn his spot back. I say until Dwyer stalls or starts fumbling the starting job is his. Mendy can continue to write for the Huffingtin post for all I care. This offense is starting to click by spreading the ball around. Heath is getting more touches. The only thing stalling this offense is dropped passes. Don't eff it up by letting mendy dance. Rainey and Batch could be great 3rd down backs. Better upside than Mewelde was.

cubanstogie
10-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I like Dwyer. I thin we could have a potential thunder and lightning thing with him and Rainey if we use them right.

I agree, throw Batch in there as well on 3rd down or out of backfield. This day and age in the NFL there aren't many Walter Paytons who can play every down all game. The first drive in the second half was the best drive I have seen all year, I was not expecting much form this year until this game. Ben looks like Peyton Manning back there and the line is playing out of their arse.

Fire Arians
10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
wanna see more chris rainey action!

Darkstorm05
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Mendy is a starting back. We've already seen what the others can do when they start, and it wasn't pretty. Every time we have a backup put a couple good games together everyone screams for the starters to be cut. Dwyer lit up against a couple of 3-5 teams that have been jokes for years. Don't get excited just yet.

cubanstogie
10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Mendy is a starting back. We've already seen what the others can do when they start, and it wasn't pretty. Every time we have a backup put a couple good games together everyone screams for the starters to be cut. Dwyer lit up against a couple of 3-5 teams that have been jokes for years. Don't get excited just yet.

The last two weeks sure have been pretty. Dwyer deserves to keep playing especially since Mendy is not and probably won't be 100 percent all year. If you aren't excited watching the running game explode the last 2 weeks then so be it.

Darkstorm05
10-28-2012, 10:24 PM
The last two weeks sure have been pretty. Dwyer deserves to keep playing especially since Mendy is not and probably won't be 100 percent all year. If you aren't excited watching the running game explode the last 2 weeks then so be it.

Not saying he doesn't deserve the start next week. But I don't see him keeping it long. Regardless, I don't want to see him go back to 3rd, either. When everyone is healthy, my depth chart would be Mendy->Dwyer->Rainey. I've long been on record as not being impressed by Redman.

cubanstogie
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Not saying he doesn't deserve the start next week. But I don't see him keeping it long. Regardless, I don't want to see him go back to 3rd, either. When everyone is healthy, my depth chart would be Mendy->Dwyer->Rainey. I've long been on record as not being impressed by Redman.

everyone has their preference,its not like they have a Ray Rice. You have to think the coaches who see these guys day in and day out will make the right decision. I admit Mendy's first game back was a big spark, I just think that you go with the the guy who is hot. Got side tracked listening to a bad version of god bless america during the baseball game, but for whatever reason I am not a huge Mendy fan. I was impressed the way Dwyer was holding onto the ball. It was obvious he learned from his mistake and that was a good sign. Maybe I let what Mendy says instead of just the way he plays factor in. I know he has talent but as a first round pick I am disappointed.

Edman
10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Dwyer isn't close to Bus status yet, but he's on his way there.

tony hipchest
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

With 107 yards rushing on 17 carries against the Redskins at Heinz Field, Jonathan Dwyer became the first Steelers back to post consecutive 100-yard games since Willie Parker. you mean to tell me, that limp noodle dick arians wasnt able to accomplish this feat the entire time he had rashard mendenhall as his back?

uber fail.

then again, the last time willie was running for 100+ yards was in 2007 which was the last time we employed a true full back before arians declared a FB and establishing a run game has no part in "his offense".

Curtain_of_Steel
10-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Can we say good bye to Mendy yet? Would love to see him, and his tweets go bye bye.

steeltheone
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Dwyer isn't close to Bus status yet, but he's on his way there.

83 rushing attempts into his pro career...:banging:

steeltheone
10-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Can we say good bye to Mendy yet? Would love to see him, and his tweets go bye bye.

I'm not huge on Mendy...I don't believe he has lived up to the " steal in the late first round" but when healthy, he is a significant upgrade from the others.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Dwyer making most of second chance

By Mike Prisuta

Despite fumbling in the second quarter at Oakland and disappearing for the remainder of that game and the two that followed, Jonathan Dwyer always suspected a second chance would be forthcoming eventually.

“I knew that if I stayed patient my opportunity would come,” Dwyer maintained last Sunday afternoon. “It’s just about using the opportunity to make a statement and taking advantage of it and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Sounds like a plan. Looks like one, too.

The third-year pro and fill-in starter at running back for Rashard Mendenhall(Achilles) and Isaac Redman (ankle) topped 100 yards rushing for the second consecutive game in the Steelers’ 27-12 besting of the Washington Redskins at soggy Heinz Field.

Dwyer’s 107 yards on 17 carries against Washington followed up a 17-carry, 122-yard effort on Oct. 21 at Cincinnati.

He handled the bulk of the heavy lifting as the Steelers out-performed what had been the NFL’s No. 1-ranked rushing offense in terms of total carries (27-21), rushing yards (140-86) and average yards per carry (5.2-4.1).

“He has answered the call and taken advantage of the opportunity and that’s what we expect from all of our young people,” head coach Mike Tomlin assessed of Dwyer. “We don’t discount what any of them are capable of.”

The 100-yard game was Dwyer’s second this season and the third of his career, a career that has included on 13 games over two-plus seasons.

The Steelers’ top two rushing performances as a team this season (167 yards at Cincinnati and 140 against Washington) have been achieved with Dwyer as the preferred runner of choice. And the benefits of that rushing production have been obvious.

“If you can start with a solid running game and make people respect your running game and force them to bring safeties down into the box it opens up everybody else on the field,” tight end Heath Miller said.

That must explain how No. 3 tight end Leonard Pope and fullback Will Johnson were both able to catch touchdown passes against the Redskins. It was Pope’s second catch of the season and his first touchdown since signing with the Steelers during the offseason, and for Johnson the touchdown was the first of his NFL career.

“He just understands what he has to do as a running back,” guard Willie Colon said of Dwyer. “I think he’s doing a great job of really staying down-hill, not trying to bounce it (outside) all the time but when he has a chance to bounce it, he has been making plays happen.

“I think he’s starting to grow confidence in himself, and we’re starting to grow confidence in him.”

The confidence in the running game’s potential never wavered, offensive tackle Max Starks insisted, despite some early-season struggles in that department.

“The running game has always been there,” Starks said. “More importantly, I think we’ve found some consistency with the running game. We’ve finally found what plays work for us and what schematically puts us in an advantageous situation.

“I think that’s been the biggest thing, keep it simple and just allow us to do work and hit the guy in front of us.”

In taking advantage of all of that, Dwyer became the first Steelers running back to post back-to-back 100-yard games since Willie Parker did it on Sept. 7 and Sept. 14, 2008.

“Dwyer has been running awesome,” Starks added. “He’s been making great decisions.”

One of those has been to stick with the plan.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dwyer-making-most-of-second-chance/9e5ca1d1-3be1-4256-aa8b-8b6080ae7aa4

pete74
10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
i know i will be really pissed if Mendy or Redman come back next week and get the start over Dwyer. i wasnt always a Dwyer fan but he looks much better then any other back on our team and he is on a roll so we need to keep riding him

ricardisimo
10-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Mendenhall really only has one deficiency of late: staying healthy. The whole "dancing" and "spinning" thing no one seems to mind when he has a hole to run through. Supposedly Redman was going to prove once and for all what a louse Rashard is. Didn't happen. Now Dwyer has had a hot streak lasting exactly eight days and people are stroking their woodies and comparing him to Bettis? Puh-leez.

When healthy, Mendy is our best, most talented and most complete back. He's had the misfortune of getting severely dinged up just as we got rid of that dipstick Arians. Talk about bad luck...

bornaSteelersfan
10-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Mendenhall really only has one deficiency of late: staying healthy. The whole "dancing" and "spinning" thing no one seems to mind when he has a hole to run through. Supposedly Redman was going to prove once and for all what a louse Rashard is. Didn't happen. Now Dwyer has had a hot streak lasting exactly eight days and people are stroking their woodies and comparing him to Bettis? Puh-leez.

When healthy, Mendy is our best, most talented and most complete back. He's had the misfortune of getting severely dinged up just as we got rid of that dipstick Arians. Talk about bad luck...

:iagree:

I saw a few holes that opened up for Dwyer, but he couldn't cut and zip through like Mendy would when he is healthy. I like the way Dwyer runs, though. The two of them together will definitely be awesome to watch. Redman is clearly not the answer and neither is Rainey or Batch.

FanSince72
10-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Maybe he's not Jerome, but he's as close as we've come since The Bus retired.

Redman is OK, but not as powerful and Mendy does a better Roger Craig impersonation than anything else.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Again, it all starts up front with an improved O line, but Dwyer broke a lot of tackles and runs hard. Great game.

Keenan Lewis was another guy that seemed to be breaking up passes everywhere. I like the emergence of some of the young guys.

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Keenan Lewis was another guy that seemed to be breaking up passes everywhere. I like the emergence of some of the young guys.

He's also a top notch actor. He had everyone thinking he picked that endzone pass, even though it wasn't even close. A for effort.

steelfury02
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
go with the hot hand, sprinkle in the others when they're healthy

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
:iagree:

I saw a few holes that opened up for Dwyer, but he couldn't cut and zip through like Mendy would when he is healthy. I like the way Dwyer runs, though.after dwyers very 1st long gain (30 yards or so) i saw dwyer tap out and thought it was much too early and the gain was far too short to be asking for a blow. then in the third quarter i believe, after another tough run, he tapped his helmet again for a replacement (this was when batch came in). the camera caught him pointing to the top of his quadricept as he was walking to the trainers on the sideline.

Maybe he's not Jerome, but he's as close as we've come since The Bus retired.

.i cringe everytime i hear "the next bus" because weve heard it all before. lendale white, ron dayne, brandon jacobs, even our own frank "the tank" summers.

but bettis was a once in a lifetime type player who is still 5th or 6th on the nfl's all time leading rusher list.

but i am definitely buying in what chris collinsworth brought to national attention (and ive heard plenty of times since)-

the style and nifty footwork is definitely similar and looks almost identical on several runs a game as well.

im really liking watching him because it DOES bring back memories.

dwyer has a wicked stiff arm as well. he has a great opportunity lying before him. i hope he seizes it.

Rotorhead
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I still like Redman better, he is faster than Dwyer, cuts better and runs downhill breaking tackles as good as Dwyer. Mendy did very well his first game back, and is the most talented. I am very happy we have this issue, all three are worthy of filling in the starting role so it is a good place to be. Our Oline is gelling right now and opening up big holes that all can take advantage of. Going to be a good run I think.

wootawnee
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to see Bussie get into the Hall......His speech will be epic....Bet he has Cowher induct him.....That place will be mad full of Steeler Faithful.......:coffee:

Okiemon
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
As a Steelers fan who also happens to follow Georgia Tech, and thus watched Dwyer in his college days, I'm happy to see him beginning to live up to his potential. I really hope he'll continue to work on his conditioning, though. He looks heavier than he did at Tech, even though he's listed at 229. If he could slim down that belly a little more, I think he'd pick it up a step or two.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Starks said preparation was the key to victory. It helped, too, that for the first time this season the offensive line faced a defensive front similar to the Steelers, which helped determine that a man-zone blocking scheme would work best against Washington.

“The man zone stuff worked by keeping it in between the tight ends and not trying to cut outside every single time,” Starks said. “The way Dwyer runs and the way the line blocks is probably the best thing for this offense right now.”

For guard Ramon Foster, it was simply a matter of muscle.

“We won the one-on-one battles,” Foster said. “We’re getting guys back, so we’re playing well together as a unit. But it won’t mean a thing if we can’t do it next week (against the New York Giants).

“If we can keep the run game going and protect Ben, this is going to be the outcome every Sunday. We still left some points out there, but it’s the best effort by the offensive line this season.”

Guard Willie Colon said the offensive line is attacking more than it did during the Steelers’ 2-3 start. And that’s giving Dwyer room to use his size and speed.

“(Dwyer) is just hitting it and he understands where he needs to be,” Colon said. “He’s reading the blocks. It was good to see him use the stiff arm. It reminded me of the Bus (Jerome Bettis) a little bit.”Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2820504-85/offensive-dwyer-steelers-game-playing-redskins-washington-roethlisberger-ben-season#ixzz2AhszvLDK

:thumbsup:

pete74
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I still like Redman better, he is faster than Dwyer, cuts better and runs downhill breaking tackles as good as Dwyer. Mendy did very well his first game back, and is the most talented. I am very happy we have this issue, all three are worthy of filling in the starting role so it is a good place to be. Our Oline is gelling right now and opening up big holes that all can take advantage of. Going to be a good run I think.

how can you even say that? Redman has 50 rushes for 127 yards and a 2.5ypc. Dwyer has 58 rushes for 299 yards and a 5.2ypc. i dont see any competition here. Dwyer produced and put our running game back on the map. when Redman started we had the worst running game in the NFL. Hell, Dwyer even tore it up without our best lineman playing.(Pouncey)

lardlad
10-29-2012, 08:05 PM
wanna see more chris rainey action!

i want to see them use him right.

teegre
10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
He's also a top notch actor. He had everyone thinking he picked that endzone pass, even though it wasn't even close. A for effort.

I think that he actually thought that he came down with the INT.

As the came down, his arm was across the ball, and as the WR rolled over, the ball touched the ground UNBEKNOWNST to Lewis, who ended up with the ball in his possession. In fact, if it doesn't touch the ground, it's an INT.

Lewis's head was facing away, and thus, he never saw it touch the ground... but knew that he possessed the ball.

Make sense?

PhantomJB93
10-30-2012, 01:37 AM
i want to see them use him right.

That's been my only problem with Haley's playcalling so far, I feel like every time we give Rainey the ball it's a design run up the middle, which is the exact opposite of what we should be using him for. Luckily it's worked a few times (the TD in the Bengals game) but he'd be much better used cutting to the outside.

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Steelers film session: Dwyer proving to be Bus-like

By Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=7Rpnw AOZEszuRvpK2Dj4dM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsuYcnnSUQmdXq TGn$xN97MWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers running back Johnathan Dwyer plays against the Redskins' at Heinz Field Oct. 28, 2012. Chaz Palla | Tribune Review

Jonathan Dwyer has been compared to Hall of Fame running back Jerome Bettis because of their similar running styles.

One hit wouldn’t typically bring down Bettis, and Dwyer is proving he rarely goes down on the first hit, either. That again became evident Sunday against the Washington Redskins.

Dwyer rushed for more than 100 yards in his second consecutive start, and a lot of those yards came after he was initially hit.

Dwyer (5-foot-11, 229 pounds) carried 17 times for 107 yards, 68 coming after first contact. Add that to the 114 of his 122 yards coming after contact in a win over Cincinnati on Oct. 21, and that’s 71 percent of his yards in his two career starts coming after contact.

Dwyer’s biggest yards-after-contact play against the Redskins came in the first quarter, when he cut back and raced 15 yards untouched before running over safety Reed Doughty to gain another 19 yards.

Dwyer is averaging 4.1 yards per attempt after contact — second best in the league behind Buffalo’s C.J. Spiller, who leads the league at 4.7 yards. No other running back in the NFL average more than 3.3 yards per attempt after contact.

Other observations

• The Redskins apparently didn’t believe it would benefit them by putting pressure on Ben Roethlisberger, thus adding pressure to their already suspect secondary. Washington sent more than four pass rushers only four times in 30 non-goal-line situations, and Roethlisberger made them pay when they did send more than four. Roethlisberger completed 3 of 4 passes for 47 yards in those situations. The only incompletion was a drop by Emmanuel Sanders.

• Mike Wallace, who caught seven passes for 62 yards, is averaging about 7 fewer yards per reception compared to two years ago, and that lack of sending the speedy receiver deep continued Sunday. Wallace had passes thrown to him of 8, 3, -3, 13, 5, 9, 7, 3 and 10 yards.

• The Redskins add elements to their read/option scheme every week. However, against the Steelers, the option wasn’t a big part of the game plan, especially when it came to Robert Griffin III. Only eight option runs were called (seven went to Alfred Morris), five passes off the option and two designed run calls for Griffin — a quarterback draw and an option read around right end.

• The Redskins were initially credited with 10 dropped passes — Santana Moss four, Josh Morgan two and Leonard Hankerson, Chris Cooley, Evan Royster and Darrel Young one each. In reality, they had seven, but a lot of those were aided by Steelers’ defenders. Will Allen tipped one and dislodged another. Keenan Lewis’ hit on Morgan forced him into a drop. Brett Keisel got his hand in the way of Royster, prompting him not to hold onto a pass. And tight coverage from Cortez Allen and Ike Taylor forced Moss into a drop. Add two poor passes — one to Morgan and another to Moss — and it looked a lot worse for Redskins receivers than it really was.

• Lewis had one of the best games. He allowed two catches for 23 yards and recorded three pass defenses and two impressive tackles — one on Morris behind the line of scrimmage and the other on a quarterback draw that kept Griffin out of the end zone.

• James Harrison didn’t play a competitive snap in nine months because of a knee injury before returning in Week 5. Since then, he missed one snap, and that came against the Redskins. Harrison has been on the field for 243 of the Steelers 244 snaps since his return.

• Want to know how good Maurkice Pouncey is? All you have to do is look at the third-quarter direct snap run by Chris Rainey. Pouncey pulled and slammed into DeAngelo Hall 5 yards downfield, helping Rainey pick up 19 yards. Also impressive was rookie Mike Adams, who was 8 yards downfield knocking London Fletcher backward.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2855698-85/yards-dwyer-redskins-contact-option-passes-hit-running-steelers-coming#ixzz2AkhWMMi3

ricardisimo
10-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Again, it all starts up front with an improved O line, but Dwyer broke a lot of tackles and runs hard. Great game.

Agreed. Colon seems to be settling in at LG finally, and Adams at RT is a nice surprise (to me at least... maybe you guys saw it coming, but I didn't). I'm eager to see what happens in a few weeks when Gilbert and maybe DD return as well.

steelbelieve
10-31-2012, 10:37 AM
I've never been big on Mendenhall - and still ain't. I just don't believe he's one of the league's better backs.

We'd do just fine.....more than fine....with Dwyer and Redman. Dwyer has def made it more difficult for the other two.

I just don't get all the hate for Mendy. When healthy, he is a extremely talented guy. Don't forget, he was probably the difference just a few weeks ago in the close victory over the Eagles.

steelfury02
11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
probably just expect a little more out of a 1st rounder? Dunno - I'd like to see him healthy under Haley for a while