PDA

View Full Version : O-LINE

steelerchad
10-28-2012, 07:29 PM
:tt04:

:applaudit:

This bunch has been getting bashed here for a few years now and mostly deservedly so. They seem to be playing well right now. Running game gaining some momentum with Dwyer and Ben is staying upright for the most part. Only 13 sacks through 7 games for a guy who averages 45-50 per season, he may be under 30 this year.

Looks like he's not holding the ball as much, but he also has a lot of time when he needs it. Not too many jailbreaks where he's dodging tacklers left and right. With the injuries we've had to our rb's and oline, I'm really pleased with how well they're playing. DD and Gilbert coming back healthy can only help.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 07:41 PM
DD and Gilbert coming back healthy can only help.

well, DD coming back healthy can help us. not so sure about Gilbert at this point...

Fire Arians
10-28-2012, 07:43 PM
well, DD coming back healthy can help us. not so sure about Gilbert at this point...

Adams has been holding his own, but I think as of now, Gilbert is still the better of the two. Although with the play of Adams, we don't need to worry about rushing Gilbert back.

Looking forward to next week to see how this o-line will stand up to one of the best D-lines in the NFL, it will be a test for them no doubt, but I think they are gelling at the right time.

Hawaii 5-0
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Adams has been holding his own, but I think as of now, Gilbert is still the better of the two.

that may be true, but at least Adams didn't hurt any of his fellow OL today...

Shreveport Steeler
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Willie Colon has been dominating lately!

OX1947
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Willie Colon has been dominating lately!

Because he was made to run block. The better we have ran, the more effective he has been.

3rdandlong
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I was really pleased with Adams. He held his own. I feel much more confident that when we have a lead late in the game, we can possess the ball and run out the clock

EbonySteel86
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
This oline would suck if BA was still here. His play calling would make a line full of pro bowlers look bad. Haleys system doesn't require linemen to hold their blocks for 20 sec, and they stay persistently with the run no matter what. Not much change from this line and last years line other than Colon moving to guard, we still playing, Starks, Pouncy, Gilbert, Foster. It's just the system and play calling is very Qb and Oline friendly. Thank god for Haley!!!!!

defence
10-28-2012, 08:59 PM
I was really pleased with Adams. He held his own. I feel much more confident that when we have a lead late in the game, we can possess the ball and run out the clock

I don't see much in Gilbert and the more playing time adams gets; I believe he will surpass Gilbert on the depth chart!!

austinfrench76
10-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Move Gilbert to back up Starks at LT. Keep the continuity of this line!

Curtain_of_Steel
10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Oline played great today. Keep in mind they played against a pop warner D line though. They are improving. onceDD is there I think it could be much better than good.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
This oline would suck if BA was still here. His play calling would make a line full of pro bowlers look bad. Haleys system doesn't require linemen to hold their blocks for 20 sec, and they stay persistently with the run no matter what. Not much change from this line and last years line other than Colon moving to guard, we still playing, Starks, Pouncy, Gilbert, Foster. It's just the system and play calling is very Qb and Oline friendly. Thank god for Haley!!!!!
nuff said ...:popcorn:

its funny how over the last few years the fans could pin point the problems but yet the steeler brass refused to acknowledge it.

TheVet
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Guys, it looked good, but remember we just played against two fairly porous defenses,- so let's not get too psyched up too soon!! Still, it's nice to see improvement, even vs. Swiss cheese.

It's nice to see that Willie has stopped hurting the team with all those mental errors; maybe he will be able to handle OG. Hopefully these two games aren't just a fluke, and he's really getting it. And it's good to see Adams get the work. If Adams can continue to improve, and if DD can come back strong, then we'll have something to cheer about! That's three big wishes to hope for ...

Gilbert is a bummer, because he regressed from his play last year - and now he's injured, so who knows if he'll even get back to his rookie form this year. It's a bummer, because Starks really should be depth on a solid NFL-caliber line. And of course, Foster isn't a legitimate NFL starter.

We're very, very thin. Lots of stuff needs to break right for us, but it's possible.

defence
10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Guys, it looked good, but remember we just played against two fairly porous defenses,- so let's not get too psyched up too soon!! Still, it's nice to see improvement, even vs. Swiss cheese.

It's nice to see that Willie has stopped hurting the team with all those mental errors; maybe he will be able to handle OG. Hopefully these two games aren't just a fluke, and he's really getting it. And it's good to see Adams get the work. If Adams can continue to improve, and if DD can come back strong, then we'll have something to cheer about! That's three big wishes to hope for ...

Gilbert is a bummer, because he regressed from his play last year - and now he's injured, so who knows if he'll even get back to his rookie form this year. It's a bummer, because Starks really should be depth on a solid NFL-caliber line. And of course, Foster isn't a legitimate NFL starter.

We're very, very thin. Lots of stuff needs to break right for us, but it's possible.

I don't get it. We have played 7 games and I believe we have given up 13 sacks. You call the bengals porous?? do they not lead the league in sacks?? ben had all day to throw against them. And the other six opponents can't rush the passer either?? Guys; give your heads a shake sometimes and give credit where it's due. That offensive line is playing great. I know everyone wants David Decastro back but in reality; why mess with something that is working so well??

steelfury02
10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
cautiously optimistic, first big test for this set of guys coming up - I say Ben doesn't make the mistakes that Romo made yesterday and we steal a win on the road

That is, if they aren't already looking past them 'cause you know who is the following week . . .

wootawnee
10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
That run around right end by Rainy looked tough....Those boys were maulin.....

torpedoshell31
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Pouncy had a great game yesterday and part of the reason for our greatly improved run game is Mike Adams. Adams still has some trouble with footwork on pass plays, but he is just mauling defenders during running plays.

TheVet
10-30-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't get it. We have played 7 games and I believe we have given up 13 sacks. You call the bengals porous?? do they not lead the league in sacks?? ben had all day to throw against them. And the other six opponents can't rush the passer either?? Guys; give your heads a shake sometimes and give credit where it's due. That offensive line is playing great. I know everyone wants David Decastro back but in reality; why mess with something that is working so well??

The decrease in sacks is due to shorter routes and quick throws, thanks to Haley.

steelerchad
10-30-2012, 07:24 AM
cautiously optimistic, first big test for this set of guys coming up - I say Ben doesn't make the mistakes that Romo made yesterday and we steal a win on the road

That is, if they aren't already looking past them 'cause you know who is the following week . . .

No, who?
Kansas City?

Let's hope Ben doesn't throw 4 picks in 1 game like Romo. He's only got 3 through his first 7 games.

defence
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
The decrease in sacks is due to shorter routes and quick throws, thanks to Haley.

Oh right on!! The offensive line has nothing to do with it!! We'll call it the system

steelerchad
10-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh right on!! The offensive line has nothing to do with it!! We'll call it the system

Right. So the O-Line was never really that bad to begin with. It was the Arians playcalling and longer passing routes.

I actually think it's a little of both. It's called team.

SteelersCanada
10-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Right. So the O-Line was never really that bad to begin with. It was the Arians playcalling and longer passing routes.

^ This. The offensive line was never that bad, it was the playcalling that made them look much worse than they were. However, with a new system in place that compliments their skillset and the fact they finally have an identity, they're playing like beasts. I mean, Colon is looking like a probowl LG.

That being said, I think I'd keep Adams in at RT and play Gilbert at LT over Starks. He's always said he's much, much more comfortable at LT and we were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole playing him at RT. The line of ...

Gilbert - Colon - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

... is a great one. Young, athletic guys that can pull and give Ben time to make plays will equate to clock eating drives and ultimately, winning games.

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Ben has remained upright though - I really think Starks needs to stay in there. Plus, there's this situation:
Someone is a little too close for comfort, a little too often
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1315292/DeCastro_Injury_1.jpg

TheVet
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

The O-line really was terrible, and it's still quite shaky, but there's hope for the future. Colon is an upgrade - at least when he's not hurting the team with his bonehead penalties. Remember, last year we had no NFL-caliber starting guards, none. Foster is very weak. Starks is a depth-type player, and we have him starting at LT. Gilbert regressed badly in his second year, and became the weakest link on the line before his injury.

The future is looking great. There's every reason to hope that Adams develops into a strong OT (hopefully on the left), and DeCastro has already shown that he's top-tier. If Gilbert could get his head right, we could really have something.

Edman
10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
A better offensive system and an OC who has a damn clue what the hell he's doing is making the difference. The O-Line didn't magically transform into a solid line overnight, the new system minimized their weaknesses and made them better. Arians' system would transform the famed "Hogs" O-Line into a seive.

To those who were like the talent wasn't terrible on the O-Line? Well is kinda was. Jon Scott and Chris Kemoeatu really were THAT bad. Under Haley's system, instead of being awful, they'd be average backups.

Hawaii 5-0
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Steelers’ Foster, Colon on guard against Giants

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=BIL3y zDeejIuEwBHO88w5M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvemJEHpeCFzVn iCnhtrm54WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers guard Ramon Foster has teamed with Willie Colon to open up holes for breakout running back Jonathan Dwyer.

Jonathan Dwyer has staked his claim as the feature back for a revamped Steelers run game but not without the benefit of tireless effort from guards Ramon Foster and Willie Colon.

The guards were hardly considered the strength of the offensive line when the season began. Now they are arguably among the most consistent tandem in the AFC.

Foster was plugged into the starting lineup after top draft pick David DeCastro suffered a potentially season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Colon, who missed all but one game the previous two seasons, continues to make adjustments at left guard after switching from right tackle.

On Sunday, Foster and Colon will face perhaps their stiffest challenge this season against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I trust and believe in those guys giving me the holes,” Dwyer said. “Right now the Giants are playing good football, and it’s going to be a good test for us.”

The Giants possess one of the league’s best defensive fronts. Defensive ends Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul (51⁄2 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora spearhead a relentless pass rush that has totaled 69 sacks over the past 24 regular-season games — including 21 sacks this season.

“We’ve got to control those guys the best we can,” Foster said. “They are built for the pass rush because of their speed and athleticism, which I don’t think many teams in this league have.

“They are long guys who can bat balls down. We have to start this game fast and stay consistent. We definitely have to control them so our guys can make plays.”

Colon is confident the Steelers can run the ball like they did while beating Cincinnati (167 yards) and Washington (140), in part, because the Giants’ defense appears somewhat vulnerable. The Giants might be 6-2 but not because their 24th-ranked defense has put together intimidating numbers. Their defensive deficiencies are offset by an offense that is third in points (29.2) and fourth in total yards (397 yards).

The Giants are 19th against the run, and their pass defense is 26th. Yet their defensive front — including defensive tackles Chris Canty and Linval Joseph — has an uncanny knack for playing its best in big games. It manhandled San Francisco’s offensive line in a 26-3 victory earlier this season and defused New England’s high-octane offense in the Super Bowl.

“We have to respect their résumé,” said Colon, a Bronx native. “The bottom line is we have to play hard and set the tone early.

“Athletic-wise, this is probably the best (front) we’ve seen. Obviously, they do a lot of good things, getting after it with the pass rush.”

The Steelers, though, will try to lean on a suddenly effective run game to slow down the Giants’ pass rush. The offensive line didn’t yield a sack the past two games, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been dropped only 13 times this season.

“The run game takes some pressure off of (Roethlisberger’s) arm,” Colon said. “Everyone is stepping up to the challenge, and this is another challenge for us.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2866552-85/giants-season-colon-pass-run-defensive-game-foster-guys-rush#ixzz2B6A7vwNQ