PDA

View Full Version : Chase format needs tweaking for favorites? Vomit alert!

Fire Haley
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
By Jerry Bonkowski, Yahoo! Sports
August 4, 2006

"As bad as it was for Gordon and Dale Jr. to miss last year's Chase, Stewart's run helped make up for the lack of the Nos. 24 and 8 in NASCAR's 10-race post-season.

Had Stewart not become the focus when the spotlight was abruptly pulled when Gordon and Junior missed the Chase, NASCAR and the entire Cup format would have been in serious trouble.

While Gordon and Stewart are theoretically and temporarily in the Chase for now, what happens if they and Earnhardt are befallen by misfortune and bad luck and all wind up missing the Chase this year?

With arguably over half of NASCAR fans swearing allegiance to the Nos. 20, 24 and 8, the end results could be nothing short of devastating.

Think about it: If NASCAR's three most popular ? and among its most successful ? drivers all fail to make the sanctioning body's showcase event, it's a safe bet that the Chase, NASCAR and the sport will suffer significant damage in the short term, if not the long haul.

If the 24, 20 and 8 aren't in it, millions of TV sets across the U.S. will be turned off, or at least switched to more exciting things such as college or pro football.

And then there are the unsold ? and unused ? tickets to the 10 Chase events that will likely go to waste or result in conspicuously empty seats; the possibility that major sponsors could seek at least partial rebates for TV commercials and the like; not to mention that overall fan and media interest would wane markedly.

The sport proved last year that it can survive one or two of its three biggest superstars not making the Chase, but take all of them out of the equation and it would be u-g-l-y."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AvRz_NTAYtXL7d9urAMUQAXov7YF?slug=jb-gordon080406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
------------------------------------------------------

What a steaming pantload. Every word coming out his mouth is complete crap.
Excuse me while I go throw up.

What has to be 'tweaked' is the media itself, which needs to wake up to the fact that there are other drivers besides the "you know who's". Maybe you should write about some of them instead of constantly cheerleading for Jeffy and Tony....assclowns.

Jeremy
08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Let me break those three, and their impact, down.

1. Stewart: Probably not as popular now as he was 3 months ago. Fringe Stewart fans have drifted away from him because of his boorish behavior and neutral fans have turned against him. However, NASCAR would lose quite a fans TV sets in Stewart isn't in the chase because he has a strong diehard following that doesn't care how childish he really is.

2. Gordon: Gordon's fans have become the basis for Jimmie Johnson's fan base. if Gordon misses the Chase again, I think most of his fans will still go to races and watch them on TV to see Jimmie Johnson.

3. Earnhardt Jr: Probably the biggest attendance/ratings blow would be another missed chase by Earnhardt Jr. He has a huge fan base with a good number of them being casual fans who only attend races and watch races because of him. If he has no chance to win a title, I think most of them will tune out and watch football or baseball.

Bottom line is the two parties who would be hurt most by those three missing the chase are NBC and Chevrolet. NBC needs people to watch races so them can hype their fall lineup, Notre Dame, and NFL games. Chevy will be hurt because anyone filling those three spots probably won't come from the GM stable.

Fire Haley
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
3. Earnhardt Jr: If he has no chance to win a title, I think most of them will tune out and watch football or baseball.

Nah - JR fans are loyal enough to watch him race every race. If he crashes out early (like has been happening) then the seats will empty out a bit.

I think he'll make it this year...but that team doesn't look like it has enough to win the title.

SteelerzGirl
08-08-2006, 04:20 AM
2. Gordon: Gordon's fans have become the basis for Jimmie Johnson's fan base. if Gordon misses the Chase again, I think most of his fans will still go to races and watch them on TV to see Jimmie Johnson.

Not true. As one of Jimmie's fans, I was never a Jeff Gordon fan. :yuck:

If the 24, 20 and 8 aren't in it, millions of TV sets across the U.S. will be turned off, or at least switched to more exciting things such as college or pro football.

Wrong! I'll be tuned in whether the #24, #20, or #8 are in The Chase or not. I think it would be funny if they didn't make The Chase...tehehe. :smile:

cbalke
08-08-2006, 12:41 PM
i recently saw a commercial or something from gordon's early days. everyone talks about how when he first came in no one liked him cause he was a pretty boy - NOT WITH THAT NASTY STASH!!!! dude, that was pure hick, man. i was almost shocked.

Jeremy
08-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Not true. As one of Jimmie's fans, I was never a Jeff Gordon fan.

So what? The basis of Johnson's fan base are Gordon fans. I never said all Gordon fans are Johnson fans and all Johnson fans are Gordon fans.

Wrong! I'll be tuned in whether the #24, #20, or #8 are in The Chase or not. I think it would be funny if they didn't make The Chase...tehehe.

So you own a million TVs?

SteelerzGirl
08-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I never said all Gordon fans are Johnson fans and all Johnson fans are Gordon fans.

Okay, babe, I forgive you. :smile:

So you own a million TVs?

No, I own the 1 millionth TV...(lol). :wink:

tony hipchest
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
What a steaming pantload. Every word coming out his mouth is complete crap.
Excuse me while I go throw up.

What has to be 'tweaked' is the media itself, which needs to wake up to the fact that there are other drivers besides the "you know who's". Maybe you should write about some of them instead of constantly cheerleading for Jeffy and Tony....assclowns.
couldnt agree more. i always watched the individual races regardles of who was in the lead for the champ for the sake of the race itself. every individual race is usually a great race regardles of who is leading in points.

the racing in nascar is what draws me to the sport. not the quest for a championship. i dont care what happened the past 15-20 sundays. i care about what happens THIS SUNDAY!