PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown taunting

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
he genuinely seems like one of the more likable players in the league, but is he getting out of control?

does he want to be despised by opponents like hines ward or chad johnson was?

SteelKid212
10-29-2012, 12:06 PM
he genuinely seems like one of the more likable players in the league, but is he getting out of control?

does he want to be despised by opponents like hines ward or chad johnson was?

Despised by opponents.

Well Ocho Cinco just annoyed the piss outta me.

And why was Hines Ward despised? Because he was DAM GOOD at what he did and played physical and with a chip on his shoulder? Because he broke keith rivers jaw, or layed out Ed Reed a bunch of times? Peoples misperception of Dirty is stupid. He played hard, nasty, but never dirty. Never with the intention of purposely hurting something or ending their career. By no means dirty.

If people want to despise Brown, So What! Let them. As long as he keeps producing like he has, and doesnt play dirty, I dont see a problem. Let the man run backwards for 20 yards if he wants :chuckle:

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
That was pretty excessive. We were lucky that penalty was being declined anyway, but he needs to put a lid on that before it gets out of hand.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
And why was Hines Ward despised? Because he was DAM GOOD at what he did and played physical and with a chip on his shoulder? Because he broke keith rivers jaw, or layed out Ed Reed a bunch of times? Peoples misperception of Dirty is stupid. He played hard, nasty, but never dirty. Never with the intention of purposely hurting something or ending their career. By no means dirty.
:

Disagree - Hines tried to hurt people. You can block people hard, and you can line them up for a kill shot.

Hines did the latter. He could have made the Reed and Rivers blocks just as effectively without lowering his head and launching at their jaws.

We all loved it because it was our guy, but if Troy got taken out that way by a WR, we'd cry foul.

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 12:31 PM
it didn't piss me off as much as the block in the back penalty

pete74
10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
i understand celebrating but if i had my wish then all of our players would play like Fitzgerald and never taunt or rub a lose in someones face. unfortunatly for me though its not a perfect world

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Disagree - Hines tried to hurt people. You can block people hard, and you can line them up for a kill shot.

Hines did the latter. He could have made the Reed and Rivers blocks just as effectively without lowering his head and launching at their jaws.

We all loved it because it was our guy, but if Troy got taken out that way by a WR, we'd cry foul.

I disagree with that. How else was he supposed to hit them? You can't go low on a defender from the side that way. Yea, his helmet hit, but he didn't drive it in. His shoulder would have done the same thing. Bottom line, if you don't want leveled out on the football field, you stay aware of your surroundings. A lapse in judgement by someone singled in on the ball isn't Hines' problem.

The rule it generated is also silly. Don't touch anyone who isn't staring at you, or you'll get a flag. Silly.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I disagree with that. How else was he supposed to hit them? You can't go low on a defender from the side that way. Yea, his helmet hit, but he didn't drive it in. His shoulder would have done the same thing. Bottom line, if you don't want leveled out on the football field, you stay aware of your surroundings. A lapse in judgement by someone singled in on the ball isn't Hines' problem.

The rule it generated is also silly. Don't touch anyone who isn't staring at you, or you'll get a flag. Silly.

WRs block effectively all the time without head hunting. That was Hines' game, and why he was universally hated by his peers. Not sure I get that, as defenders do it all the time, but to deny that Hines was trying to light people up is really inarguable.

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
WRs block effectively all the time without head hunting. That was Hines' game, and why he was universally hated by his peers. Not sure I get that, as defenders do it all the time, but to deny that Hines was trying to light people up is really inarguable.

I would argue that it was simply playing the game to the best of his ability. Why should he pause and compute velocity and impact on every hit to try and determine what a receiver can take? You either hit him, or you don't, IMO. At the time the hits were legal...so why one earth would you want to pull up?

steelerchad
10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Plain and Simple.If there had not been a block in the back penalty, then the TD by Brown would have nullified anyway, as it happened at the 20 yard line, not after the TD. If they gave him a 15 yard penalty, we would have had the ball at the 35. If Brown did this in a tight game, it could cost us big. My guess is Tomlin has and will again address this as a big no no. Costing us games due to being a showboat can't be tolerated. Love Brown, and it was fun to watch him do it, right up until the flag came down.

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM

Antonio Brown has always irked me with the Santonio pose after every first down and is getting out of control - back in the day the Steelers would have taken the 15 yard penalty and clocked someone like Brown on the next play if someone pulled a stunt like running bcakwards into the end zone for 20 yards

IMO without Ward and Farrior to calm things down (e.g. - when Keenan Lewis acted like he had just won the game when the Redskins were stopped on 3rd and goal and then was beaten when Washington scored on 4th down) there is a lot more bulls**t conduct by the Steelers these days, with the worst of it coming from Young Money

It is not as if that conduct has been tolerated by the Steelers for a long time - anyone else remember when LeBeau got in the face of Antonio Smith after he paraded like a drum major after causing a turnover?

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 01:09 PM
It is not as if that conduct has been tolerated by the Steelers for a long time - anyone else remember when LeBeau got in the face of Antonio Smith after he paraded like a drum major after causing a turnover? vs carolina, i believe.

possibly the only time the cameras have caught lebeau pissed off on the steelers sideline.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I would argue that it was simply playing the game to the best of his ability. Why should he pause and compute velocity and impact on every hit to try and determine what a receiver can take? You either hit him, or you don't, IMO. At the time the hits were legal...so why one earth would you want to pull up?

I didn't say pull up. You can block hard without head hunting. Tell me honestly that you think he had no choice but to lower his helmet on Reed here. He lined him up and actually hid himself behind another player, then launched and knocked him out, just like he wanted to do.

If someone did that to Troy, you'd call it a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfM6VLqh95M

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
If someone did that to Troy, you call it a cheap shot.

how do you know what he'd call it? maybe he'd call it a football play. maybe you shouldnt be puttin words in peoples mouths or telling them how theyd feel if a certain make believe situation arose. :noidea:

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
I didn't say pull up. You can block hard without head hunting. Tell me honestly that you think he had no choice but to lower his helmet on Reed here. He lined him up and actually hid himself behind another player, then launched and knocked him out, just like he wanted to do.

Yea, but I don't see that here. He had a guy on him, who he made a move and passed. Reed was coming directly at him and made no move to avoid or defend himself. So again, what do you want Ward to do there? Take a dive and rip up some knees? Or just call off the play because Reed deserves a pass for not paying attention? When you're running in a straight line, and another guy comes at you in a straight line from 5 yards out, whatever happens to you is what you deserve, IMO. The #1 priority, above any and all other things, must be to protect yourself. This is true of all sporting activities. If you don't want leveled when a guy comes at you in a straight line, you watch for him, and protect yourself.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Yea, but I don't see that here. He had a guy on him, who he made a move and passed. Reed was coming directly at him and made no move to avoid or defend himself. So again, what do you want Ward to do there?

Block him hard and take him out of the play, not lower his head and try to break his jaw. It's clear that he didn't see Hines, as Hines was hiding behind the other defender until Reed spotted the ball carrier.

You really think that was his only option?

Frankly, it was kind of a chickenshit move. Hines *could* have engaged him when he was looking and fought him face to face, but he lured him into the jawbreaker.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I mean, stuff like this doesn't happen by accident.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/nfl.players.poll.dirtiest.player/content.1.html

steeltheone
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;1042273]Antonio Brown has always irked me with the Santonio pose after every first down and is getting out of control - back in the day the Steelers would have taken the 15 yard penalty and clocked someone like Brown on the next play if someone pulled a stunt like running bcakwards into the end zone for 20 yards

IMO without Ward and Farrior to calm things down (e.g. - when Keenan Lewis acted like he had just won the game when the Redskins were stopped on 3rd and goal and then was beaten when Washington scored on 4th down) there is a lot more bulls**t conduct by the Steelers these days, with the worst of it coming from Young Money

It is not as if that conduct has been tolerated by the Steelers for a long time - anyone else remember when LeBeau got in the face of Antonio Smith after he paraded like a drum major after causing a turnover?[/QUOTE. Antonio plays hard and I like him for his explosiveness, but until he wins big games for us like Ward and even Holmes, he has no right to be cocky.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 01:49 PM
If someone hit one of our games like Hines hit Reed, unless helmet contact is made, i'd call it a football play. Simple as that. If one of our guys get rocked, so be it. "Such is life in the NFL".

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Block him hard and take him out of the play, not lower his head and try to break his jaw. It's clear that he didn't see Hines, as Hines was hiding behind the other defender until Reed spotted the ball carrier.

You really think that was his only option?

Frankly, it was kind of a chickenshit move. Hines *could* have engaged him when he was looking and fought him face to face, but he lured him into the jawbreaker.

what better way to take someone out of the play than to make sure they don't get up after the hit? when I played ball, the coaches used to congratulate us for decking people and erasing them from plays. people get hurt, that's football.

SteelKid212
10-29-2012, 01:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfM6VLqh95M

actually NO. if that happened to Troy,

I'd say, "Troy, you need to mind your surroundings. This is football son, and if your eyes are on a ball carrier you better watch out for unsuspecting blocks, or else risk getting knocked out!" But you figure Football Players would know that by now? :noidea:

Bottom line is thats how the game was played for decades untill Comish Gaydell started changing the rules for "player safety". (yea right)

Hell yea, you play the game like a tough SOB to knock someone out! When Hines would do that, it would send a message to the rest of the team of the physicality of which he and this team were going to play with all night .(something the team has lacked now that he's gone)

C'mon man, he never "AIMED" for the head. Aiming for the head straight up is a cheap shot.

You want dirty? Donkey Cong SUH stomping all over a defenseless player on the ground way after a play, DIRTY.

Cortland Finnegan throwing punches at another players head after the whistle. DIRTY.

Hines ward. NOT DIRTY

Antonio Brown, a little cocky after plays, yes. A proud player, somewhat. Should that cause him to be despised or labled like Hines as Dirty? HELL NO.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
If someone hit one of our games like Hines hit Reed, unless helmet contact is made, i'd call it a football play. Simple as that. If one of our guys get rocked, so be it. "Such is life in the NFL".

Hines' helmet did hit Reed's, because he lowered it.

Blitzberg06
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Point is Brown needs to worry about scoring touchdowns every game and doing what he is paid to do. Not getting up after every 1st down catch walking forward 10 yards holding ball out dropping it then looking at the crowd then back to the huddle.

HEath Miller is one of my favorite Steelers FOR THIS reason. Dude gets a touchdown he smiles and hits helmets with teammates and he's done. Class act.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
what better way to take someone out of the play than to make sure they don't get up after the hit?

i.e., try to hurt them so they don't finish the game. I think that's what I initially stated when someone said Hines didn't do that.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:56 PM
C'mon man, he never "AIMED" for the head. Aiming for the head straight up is a cheap shot.

Not sure how anyone can watch that video and say Hines did not lower his helmet and put it upside Reed's.

SteelKid212
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
but until he wins big games for us like Ward and even Holmes, he has no right to be cocky.

I recall AB catching a deep pass on a 3 and 19 in a playoff game against the ravens to sustain a drive and milk the clock, and then catching another third down pass against the jets in the championship game the following week, also to run the clock down. Those are pretty big games to me. So what do YOU call them? :noidea:

Besides, receivers dont "win" games, at the end of the day, they need the QB who makes the decisions and hard throws to them dont they?

maddog78
10-29-2012, 01:58 PM
how do you know what he'd call it? maybe he'd call it a football play. maybe you shouldnt be puttin words in peoples mouths or telling them how theyd feel if a certain make believe situation arose. :noidea:

Speculation? Is that not allowed here? Or do I have to preface it with "IMHO" at all times?

torpedoshell31
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
The dumbest part of the play was made by Curtis Brown who made the illegal block 20 yards after Antonio ran by him. For the record the TD would have counted and the kickoff would have been from the 20.

SteelKid212
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
The dumbest part of the play was made by Curtis Brown who made the illegal block 20 yards after Antonio ran by him. For the record the TD would have counted and the kickoff would have been from the 20.

^^ This... :thumbsup:

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
How did this go from taunting to Hines Ward being a dirty player?

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
i.e., try to hurt them so they don't finish the game. I think that's what I initially stated when someone said Hines didn't do that.

I assume you're a fan of modern football, then? 500 yard passing games, 47 to 43 scores, etc.? I don't remember which forum member it is, but someone has a quote from Jack Lambert on this very subject, which I expect you would feel was encouraging "Dirty" play as well. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but the Steeler's D isn't going to embrace your philosophy any time soon. If hitting as hard as you can were ever outlawed, Clark, Harrison, etc., would have to retire immediately.

steelersforever58
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
The No Fun League strikes again. For what Brown did to be a penalty is ridiculious.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
The No Fun League strikes again. For what Brown did to be a penalty is ridiculious.

maybe, but it's still AB's responsibility to know the rules and running backwards into the end zone is an automatic unsportsmanlike penalty.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Hines' helmet did hit Reed's, because he lowered it.

He lowered his helmet, hit him below the neck and PUSHED OFF with his arms. I'm not seeing direct helmet-to-helmet contact, and even so, that play wasn't illegal at the time. Hines hit hard. When he hit a guy, it changed the intensity of the game. It's football.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
maybe, but it's still AB's responsibility to know the rules and running backwards into the end zone is an automatic unsportsmanlike penalty.

I recall a certain Quarter Back who was unaware a game could end in a tie, so i'll give Brown the benefit of the doubt on this one. :chuckle:

cubanstogie
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
I guess I am getting old and crotchety because even after a great play I am yelling at the tv for these guys who do their job to get their arse back in the huddle and quit showboating. I was watching Alfred Morris of the Skins last week against the Giants and it was the first time I had seen him play, his game impressed the hell out of me but even more so when he ran over a guy and dragged defensive players with him but just handed the ball to the ref after the play. Luckily our offense scored from the get go and they seemed to get pass happy because I had my doubts whether we would stop him. I love the high five or the old oakland A's with Bash Brothers but the dancing and celebrating after a measily first down is too much.

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
I guess I am getting old and crotchety because even after a great play I am yelling at the tv for these guys who do their job to get their arse back in the huddle and quit showboating. I was watching Alfred Morris of the Skins last week against the Giants and it was the first time I had seen him play, his game impressed the hell out of me but even more so when he ran over a guy and dragged defensive players with him but just handed the ball to the ref after the play. Luckily our offense scored from the get go and they seemed to get pass happy because I had my doubts whether we would stop him. I love the high five or the old oakland A's with Bash Brothers but the dancing and celebrating after a measily first down is too much.

I'm not much of a fan of celebrating every play myself. I'm fine if they want to celebrate a sack, or a game winning TD, or whatever. Those are big impact plays. But then some of these guys are doing dances like they just won the Super Bowl, but meanwhile all they did was break up a pass on 2nd and 4.

SteelKid212
10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
correct me if im wrong but i honestly think Ike Taylor did/does the most showboating and taunting with his stupid "swag" crossing his arms move everytime he would make an easy tackle, or act like a moron with his "now u see me now u dont" face swipe with his hand.

Most times i see a play where the qb throws waaay over the receivers head and it isn't even catchable to begin with and taylor STILL insists it was his defending, and acts like a fool crossing his arms at the opposing sidelines players or stands over the receiver like a fool.

and then he gets beat most of the time by good receivers now because troy isnt behind him covering the plays like he used to.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 02:38 PM
correct me if im wrong but i honestly think Ike Taylor did/does the most showboating and taunting with his stupid "swag" crossing his arms move everytime he would make an easy tackle, or act like a moron with his "now u see me now u dont" face swipe with his hand.

Most times i see a play where the qb throws waaay over the receivers head and it isn't even catchable to begin with and taylor STILL insists it was his defending, and acts like a fool crossing his arms at the opposing sidelines players or stands over the receiver like a fool.

and then he gets beat most of the time by good receivers now because troy isnt behind him covering the plays like he used to.

Not to mention that at one point in his career he would TRY to pick a fight, and constantly drew flags and had to be held back. I HATED that.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I assume you're a fan of modern football, then? 500 yard passing games, 47 to 43 scores, etc.? I don't remember which forum member it is, but someone has a quote from Jack Lambert on this very subject, which I expect you would feel was encouraging "Dirty" play as well. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but the Steeler's D isn't going to embrace your philosophy any time soon. If hitting as hard as you can were ever outlawed, Clark, Harrison, etc., would have to retire immediately.

No, I love hard-hitting football, but I'm not naive when it comes to Ward. He was a head hunter who tried to knock people out of the game. I simply responded to a comment that said he didn't try to hurt anyone. His peers disagree.

Steelersfan87
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm fine with players doing whatever they need to do to play at the best of their abilities, including the showmanship that comes with full and absolute belief in one's abilities.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
He lowered his helmet, hit him below the neck and PUSHED OFF with his arms. I'm not seeing direct helmet-to-helmet contact, and even so, that play wasn't illegal at the time. Hines hit hard. When he hit a guy, it changed the intensity of the game. It's football.

Pause the video at :08. Helmet to jaw.

It's amazing how homerism clouds the vision.

Hines took him out and we all cheered. Please don't tell me Hines was simply trying to make a form block and spring the runner.

steelerchad
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
I mean, stuff like this doesn't happen by accident.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/nfl.players.poll.dirtiest.player/content.1.html

Whatever.

Troy's on that list. All the years I've watched Troy play, I don't ever remember a dirty one.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Hines took him out and we all cheered. Please don't tell me Hines was simply trying to make a form block and spring the runner.

Helmet-to.....facemask?

Hines rocked his ass. It's a part of football, and if you're running over-the-middle with your head in outer-space, expect to get laid out. Well, not anymore, of course. Not under Goodell. Football is a violent sport, and Hines executed a violent, legal hit. Bitch about it all you want now, but the fact is, it's not even relevant to the subject at hand.

Less about Hines rocking Reeds shit, more about Antonio Brown's showboating.

Carry on.

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
It was all legal at the time, so it's fine. It's football. Really, some things used to be a LOT worse and nobody really complained, until rules changed the game...

vPm-6ZlTM5o

maddog78
10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Helmet-to.....facemask?

Hines rocked his ass. It's a part of football, and if you're running over-the-middle with your head in outer-space, expect to get laid out. Well, not anymore, of course. Not under Goodell. Football is a violent sport, and Hines executed a violent, legal hit. Bitch about it all you want now, but the fact is, it's not even relevant to the subject at hand.

Less about Hines rocking Reeds shit, more about Antonio Brown's showboating.

Carry on.

Never said it wasn't legal. I'm just disagreeing about the intent. People have already said it's part of football to try to knock players out of the game, i.e. to hurt them.

Does that only hold for defensive players?

steelerchad
10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I recall AB catching a deep pass on a 3 and 19 in a playoff game against the ravens to sustain a drive and milk the clock, and then catching another third down pass against the jets in the championship game the following week, also to run the clock down. Those are pretty big games to me. So what do YOU call them? :noidea:

Besides, receivers dont "win" games, at the end of the day, they need the QB who makes the decisions and hard throws to them dont they?

Those were big plays in big games in his rookie year. He didn't have the attitude that I'm afraid he's starting to develop with the success he's had. I loved the running backwards. It was fun. My wife was laughing and I was happy as hell right until the flag dropped. Once showboating starts to hurt the team, it's got to end.

GoFor7
10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
AB isn't the only player on this team that showboats. Look at Keenan Lewis. Hell, look at anybody on the Steelers who hasn't won anything yet. They showboat after routine plays. You don't see Heath Miller do that, and he's probably the most productive player on that offense besides Ben.

Here's a word the younger Steelers should learn: Humility

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Never said it wasn't legal. I'm just disagreeing about the intent. People have already said it's part of football to try to knock players out of the game, i.e. to hurt them.

Does that only hold for defensive players?

Football is a violent sport. Players are going to hit with the intent of taking players out of the game. They're going to try and make a statement, and that's a part of the game. Or at least it WAS a part of the game. Players are avoiding making big hits at ALL these days to secure their game checks, and that's BULLSHIT.

If every player who ever hit with intent of knocking the dog shit out of his target we're fined $10,000 dollars, the total amount would add up QUICKLY.

Bayz101
10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
A certain hard-hitter and hall of fame player once commented that the NFL should award players for how hard they hit. If a player is TRYING to hit someone as hard as he possibly can, he's doing so with intentions of knocking the dog shit out of his target whether he knows it or not, and THAT is how football SHOULD be played.

Atlanta Dan
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
How did this go from taunting to Hines Ward being a dirty player?

Welcome to the rules of the road for internet chats:chuckle:

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM

the guy in your avatar made a living out of knocking the crap out of people

there's a reason why they called him mean joe and not 'mr. nice guy joe' lol

teegre
10-29-2012, 03:48 PM
the guy in your avatar made a living out of knocking the crap out of people

there's a reason why they called him mean joe and not 'mr. nice guy joe' lol

Technically, his avatar is of Dwight White... Dwight "Tickles" White.

wera176
10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
When I was watching AB's return, and his showboating, I wondered if he knew there was a flag and was actually demonstrating or releasing some frustration. "Look you dipsh&ts, I can walk this thing in backwards, quit with the illegal blocks!" I think it's very possible he knew the flag was thrown...

Yeah, probably not, but that'd be cool...

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM
wow. I can't believe Steelers fans would call Hines dirty or chickenshit. I can't believe what this game has come to. Might be the last true football player, and fans of his own team are putting him down. He played the game the way it's suppose to be played.

It's football, not pillow fighting. That's why players don't take a pillow on the field.

As for AB's taunting, I get tired of seeing players celebrate excessively, but if they're going to do it, oh well.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
It's football, not pillow fighting. That's why players don't take a pillow on the field.

oh, so that's why! I was wondering about that...:flap:

PhantomJB93
10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Antonio Brown is a really humble guy off the field by NFL player standards, and on the field his "showboating" is really overblown. Yes, he celebrates after he makes a great play. So does everyone. Victor Cruz does his salsa dance and everyone adores him for it, but when Antonio does his whatever dance people love to jump on him and call him a showboater and full of himself. Going into the endzone backwards was by far the moast "showboating" he's ever done, and even then he didn't raise the ball up or do anything extravagant like Desean Jackson and others have, and didn't know it was a penalty either.

Anyone saying he's a diva or he's full of himself needs to get off their high horse and realize there are exponentially worse showboaters out there.

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
they might change it soon though. You get your helmet, shoulder pads, cleats, and your pillow, with team colors and everything!

maddog78
10-29-2012, 07:11 PM
wow. I can't believe Steelers fans would call Hines dirty or chickenshit. I can't believe what this game has come to. Might be the last true football player, and fans of his own team are putting him down. He played the game the way it's suppose to be played.

As for AB's taunting, I get tired of seeing players celebrate excessively, but if they're going to do it, oh well.

Dude, he was voted the dirtiest player in the league by his peers. That's an indictment. Quit being a fanboy and look at things objectively. Hines made some squirrely hits that won him favor here because he's our guy, but I swear there would have been an uproar if it happened to us.

Ironic thing is, Hines was tough enough. He didn't need to blind side guys with head shots to prove his toughness.

You kind of contradict yourself at the end there, too, saying "it's football" in one paragraph, but endorsing choreographed dances in the next.

Which is it?

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Dude, he was voted the dirtiest player in the league by his peers.

so go root for his peers

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Dude, he was voted the dirtiest player in the league by his peers. That's an indictment. Quit being a fanboy and look at things objectively. Hines made some squirrely hits that won him favor here because he's our guy, but I swear there would have been an uproar if it happened to us.

Ironic thing is, Hines was tough enough. He didn't need to blind side guys with head shots to prove his toughness.

You kind of contradict yourself at the end there, too, saying "it's football" in one paragraph, but endorsing choreographed dances in the next.

Which is it?

Look at the rest of the people on that list. Most of them are players who bring their big game to the field, and like to talk. Hmmm...now I wonder why players on other teams voted them onto that list? I mean really, Joey Porter?

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Antonio Brown is a really humble guy off the field by NFL player standards, and on the field his "showboating" is really overblown. Yes, he celebrates after he makes a great play. So does everyone. Victor Cruz does his salsa dance and everyone adores him for it, but when Antonio does his whatever dance people love to jump on him and call him a showboater and full of himself. Going into the endzone backwards was by far the moast "showboating" he's ever done, and even then he didn't raise the ball up or do anything extravagant like Desean Jackson and others have, and didn't know it was a penalty either.

Anyone saying he's a diva or he's full of himself needs to get off their high horse and realize there are exponentially worse showboaters out there.

Again, there are different levels of tolerance for different teams and fanbases. Name some Steeler fans that love it when Victor Cruz does his bullshit fruitloop dance. See where this is going? If he did that wearing the Black and Gold there'd be rioting fans Tommy Maddox'ing his house after the game. Brown running backwards like he did is extreme relative to Steeler fans. Cowboys fans likely wouldn't have even thought that was anything unusual, but back in Pittsburgh there were likely gasps of shock as people's monocles popped out when they saw that play.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
so go root for his peers

This makes no sense. I love Hines and loved the way he played.

I just called bullshit on the statement that he didn't try to hurt people. Of course he did. He could have laid blocks on a lot of guys without knocking them out.

That's all.

Don't get butthurt - you can still pencil in a halo over your Fathead.

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
I love Hines and loved the way he played.

you love him and the way he played? You just think he was a chickenshit cheap shot artist who was a dirty player. I understand now.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 07:47 PM
This makes no sense. I love Hines and loved the way he played.

I just called bullshit on the statement that he didn't try to hurt people. Of course he did. He could have laid blocks on a lot of guys without knocking them out.

That's all.

Don't get butthurt - you can still pencil in a halo over your Fathead.

It's football. If you want it to be paddy cake then go to the park and play paddy cake where everyone shakes hands and plays footsies.

It's ok to show footage of Deacon Jones SAYING he wanted to destroy quarterbacks and play it on the NFL Network and everyone OOOs and AAAAHHHs and says, WOW, he was nasty and collect advertising money from it. But then someone tells you he wasn't hurting anyone when he would block them straight up, he is a dirty player. Give me a break, ****ing hypocrites. Maybe you should go join the Roger Goodell hypocrisy tour of safe play. You know, the one that says we care about player health but let's play 18 games.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
you love him and the way he played? You just think he was a chickenshit cheap shot artist who was a dirty player. I understand now.

Yeah, except for that part, I guess. Love how he fought with the ball in his hands and how well he blocked.

He did take some cheapies, though, which is why he was roundly hated throughout the league.

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Love how he fought with the ball in his hands and how well he blocked.

he was a great blocker in space because he didn't give second thoughts about laying some other player out. He was great because that was the kind of contact he was looking for each play. He expected to either take a shot or give a shot.

He played the true game of football, and it doesn't matter to me or (I hope) anybody else on this board if his peers called him dirty, because he wasn't dirty at all. He was a ****ing football player.

wera176
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
he was a great blocker in space because he didn't give second thoughts about laying some other player out. He was great because that was the kind of contact he was looking for each play. He expected to either take a shot or give a shot.

He played the true game of football, and it doesn't matter to me or (I hope) anybody else on this board if his peers called him dirty, because he wasn't dirty at all. He was a ****ing football player.

^This

And most of those peers that voted him a dirty player would (and many did) tell you they would have loved to have him as a team mate. Because he was one of the last FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

jiminpa
10-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Hines' helmet did hit Reed's, because he lowered it.It was Ed Reed, of the purple crows, the truly dirtiest team in the league now that the Raiders are a bunch of girls. Reed would have done that to Hines in a half a second if he could. 0 sympathy. Yeah, there are players and teams that even the best sportsman in a the game hate, and usually for a good reason.

teegre
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
You can tell that the Steelers won this week: their fans are arguing amongst themselves about whether Hines Ward is dirty or not.

[NOTE: I'd much rather read these debates, as asinine as they are, then the thirteen or so "Fire LeBeau" threads that pop up after a loss. Seriously, this is awesome: I am laughing my ass off. Reminds me of after XLIII, when we were all arguing over the MVP: Holmes, BB, or Harridon? Again, it's good to enjoy these (banal) arguments... winning solves all of one's woes, and replaces them with enjoyable minutia.]

bornaSteelersfan
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Who cares if Ward "jacked up" Reed?! That's a brutal division rivalry. It is always expected. Ravens won't miss a chance to hit the Steelers players just as well.

This thread was about AB's so-called "showboating". I think he knew there was a flag and was trying to look back while running backwards into the endzone. After all, how many of his returns have been brought back this season already? He said that he didn't get flagged earlier in the season when he did it, so he didn't know it was a penalty. I believe that was when the replacement officials were in.

As far as I am concerned, let him show off a little. It gets the crowd and the team riled up. It also helps to demoralize and anger the opposition. I want them angry and on edge. Get them off their game.

Is anyone here old enough to remember a player by the name of Mark Gastineau? He played defensive end for the Jets. He is the reason that excessive celebration is even against the rules in the first place. AB celebrates nowhere near that level.

steelax04
10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Can we shut this shitshow down? I don't think anyone is even talking about the OP.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Can we shut this shitshow down? I don't think anyone is even talking about the OP.no need to shut it down. im sure those involved will realize beating the hines ward horse dead has become tiresome, and let the thread get back on track.

the comparisson was a simple one. hines was antonio browns mentor. brown already flashes his pearly whites at the defenders and believe it or not, that gets under their skin much more than the blocking or hard hits does.

hines was hated and feared w/o the excessive celebration in every game, and i think brown is already there. i kinda wish he would tone it down a bit, but it adds an element of entertainment the league & fantasy fans love (how many times will victor cruz' salsa be celebrated?)

with that being said, brown is one of the most calculating and shifty punt/kick returners i have ever seen. players like mitchell, hall, hester, brown, metcalf, reed were great. brown could be approaching that level so i can sorta understand his exuberance.

if it dont draw a penalty, i dont mind, but the 1st down thing has gotta go.

fansince'76
10-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Maybe you should go join the Roger Goodell hypocrisy tour of safe play. You know, the one that says we care about player health but let's play 18 games.

And play games on Thursdays every week along with the regular Sunday slate. And hand out fines for helmet-to-helmet shots on WRs and QBs, but not on RBs, or anybody else, for that matter. And penalize chop blocks while completely turning a blind eye to equally dangerous cut blocks, etc., etc.
Goodell's concept of "player safety" is a politically expedient joke designed to placate the media talking heads who periodically squawk about it and nothing more.

austinfrench76
10-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Dumb penalty for a young guy coming into his own. He said after that he had done that in another game and didn't get a penalty. Maybe he will shut up and paly now. Too much talent for the non sense. He's a great player and I'm glad we locked him up.

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 01:01 AM
no need to shut it down. im sure those involved will realize beating the hines ward horse dead has become tiresome, and let the thread get back on track.

the comparisson was a simple one. hines was antonio browns mentor. brown already flashes his pearly whites at the defenders and believe it or not, that gets under their skin much more than the blocking or hard hits does.

hines was hated and feared w/o the excessive celebration in every game, and i think brown is already there. i kinda wish he would tone it down a bit, but it adds an element of entertainment the league & fantasy fans love (how many times will victor cruz' salsa be celebrated?)

with that being said, brown is one of the most calculating and shifty punt/kick returners i have ever seen. players like mitchell, hall, hester, brown, metcalf, reed were great. brown could be approaching that level so i can sorta understand his exuberance.

if it dont draw a penalty, i dont mind, but the 1st down thing has gotta go.

can we please stop talking about antonio brown and get back on track talking about hines ward being a dirty player?

oh wait...:chuckle:

maddog78
10-30-2012, 06:32 AM
hines was hated and feared w/o the excessive celebration in every game, and i think brown is already there.

Are you saying Hines didn't celebrate first downs and touchdowns, or that outside of that he was already hated and feared?

maddog78
10-30-2012, 06:36 AM

I'm sure Steeler fans don't think Joe Greene was dirty, even though Joe himself admitted that he was immature and did things he wasn't proud of, like kicking people in the sack, elbowing, punching, etc.

You can be a fan without being a mindless, towel-waving drone.

It's an election year - we have enough of those already.

EbonySteel86
10-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Are you serious??? Hines was one of the best players to ever put on a Steeler uniform. His nastiness was envied by opposing teams. A WR that knocks out LB and not the other way around???? AWESOME!!! ALL HAIL HINES!!!

EbonySteel86
10-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Don't mind what AB did cause it was a flag on the play......there's ALWAYS a flag on SP!

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 08:37 AM
IMO - Hines didn't have to put tthat hit on Reed, and yes - if it happened to Troy or Clark - a sizable chunk of Steeler Nation would be in an uproar.

That said, I'll admit - there was a primal part of me in that moment that loved to see Hines put a hurting on a Raven. It is a "classic Steeler move of old" and it was one of the last times we would see those types of plays go unpunished

A lot of Steelers fans love it, because it really is a play that spits in the face of Goodell. The guy does have too much power - and the Steelers feel the same way - which is why they didn't vote for it.

Lastly - it is extremely hard to argue against those out to protect players when they pull in the best brain experts in the world and then proceed to crucify the poster boys who play the game like it used to be played. For the Steelers, dominating on D might just have to take on a new meaning - some more turnovers might quiet some of the fans that want a 7 to 3 victory on a weekly basis. I think those games are exciting, as well as the 30 - 40 point shootouts. I personally don't know Goodell, but his PR department certainly isn't refuting the hate for him. He really operates like a school principal - zero tolerance, and really doesn't need to offer much explanation other than "it's the rules - end of story."

With all the lawsuits breathing down the NFL's neck - who can blame the guy for taking the side of safety? That doesn't mean you have to like it either. Really it is an argument no one is going to win.

NOW - Oh yea, AB - he needs to stop it with the 1st down celebration. The end zone dance is fine, so long as they're ahead. I really can't stand the celebration when they score but are still down.

SteelKid212
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
If I started a thread right now about Hines Ward being a dirty player, you can bet your ass the main discussion in that forum would be would be people complaining about Antonio Browns showboating. :chuckle:

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 10:57 AM
that's how SF rolls!:flap:

Bayz101
10-30-2012, 11:07 AM
If I started a thread right now about Hines Ward being a dirty player, you can bet your ass the main discussion in that forum would be would be people complaining about Antonio Browns showboating. :chuckle:

You win the thread. :sofunny:

http://www.maclitigator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/off_the_track.jpg

steelersforever58
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Again, there are different levels of tolerance for different teams and fanbases. Name some Steeler fans that love it when Victor Cruz does his bullshit fruitloop dance. See where this is going? If he did that wearing the Black and Gold there'd be rioting fans Tommy Maddox'ing his house after the game. Brown running backwards like he did is extreme relative to Steeler fans. Cowboys fans likely wouldn't have even thought that was anything unusual, but back in Pittsburgh there were likely gasps of shock as people's monocles popped out when they saw that play.

I certainly hope you are wrong about my fellow Steeler fans. The fact that it was a penalty might upset some folks, but the running backwards by itself I think most fans would be fine with. I loved it.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Sorry not going to wade through all the previous posts, but I will add my two cents. I have no problem with the individual side of football as long as it does not interfere with the teams goal. With that said when a player brings attention to themselves after a play I have no issue, when you have a player like Sanders or Brown or anyone for that matter that makes a clutch first down catch and they march upfield 10 yards and give the forward signal, I have no issue. When they do it during a 2 minute drill and waste precious time than it becomes a problem. What Brown did was just plain dumb, love him as a player and a team mate but his actions could of hurt the team.

TRH
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Hopefully Brown's smart enough (and he certainly seems as if he is..) to stop the hotdogging, putting the team in jeopardy of potential game-costing 15-yarders.
I think he'll put this behind him.

WVABE
10-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I can't stand that, " Look At Me BS " I hope he grows out of it.

Darkstorm05
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I certainly hope you are wrong about my fellow Steeler fans. The fact that it was a penalty might upset some folks, but the running backwards by itself I think most fans would be fine with. I loved it.

That crap showboating draws flags, as this one did, so I think you'll be in the minority. Looking through this thread, I think the bulk of fans on the forum are against getting penalized for self aggrandizing bullshit on the field. I'm glad that's the case, as part of the Steeler's team philosophy is being the working mans team. No room for pointless grandstanding here.

BlaZeQuietly
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Brown is the best wide out we have, why doesnt gronk get penalized more often he dances like magic mike for christs sake

Darkstorm05
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Brown is the best wide out we have, why doesnt gronk get penalized more often he dances like magic mike for christs sake

Because he's a Patriot, and Goodell himself is dancing every time they score a TD. If the whole team started into a choreographed musical number after a TD, they still wouldn't get a flag.

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Taunting penalty "an awesome learning opportunity:" Tomlin said he addressed the entire team in the aftermath of a taunting flag thrown on WR Antonio Brown for running the final 15 yards backward into the end zone on a punt return. (The touchdown was called back any way for an illegal block in the back penalty on CB Curtis Brown).

Tomlin was complimentary of Brown in explaining how he addressed the misdeed.

"Briefly, simply what I said is that it was not respectable," Tomlin said. "Those of us that know Antonio and watch him work on a day-to-day basis, if one word describes him professionally it's respectable. How he prepares, what he's willing to do, what kind of teammate he is, and that's represented in his play. That's the way we approached it. I thought it was an awesome learning opportunity for the entire group because, as professionals, I think that's a word everyone would want [used] to describe their play. I think people that don't see you work on a day-to-day basis are capable of making judgments about you personally and professionally based on what they see, so we want to do what's respectable. That's what we talked about and kind of moved on."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20753322/steelers-running-back-injury-carousel-continues

Millers the sh!t
10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
The penalty is a crock of shit. I've seen far worst not called.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't normally like the excessive celebrating and sideshow crappola, with exceptions (Jpeezy was the best), but that shit was FUNNY as hell, and worth the penalty! Nothing punks out the other team like running the last 20 yards of a TD catch backwards!

Ricco Suavez
10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
The deal is Brown started celebrating during the play, not after the fact. The refs would of nullified the TD and then what would we be saying this week. Especially if we did not score. Like I said celebration is fine, just sometimes you got to reel your ego in and do what is best for the team, its called being professional.

mikegrimey
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Finally got to see the play and thought it was funny, but douchey indeed. Although I'm not sure why people can slowly high step into the endzone w out a penalty. I didn't think it was penalty worthy personally, but certainly a show of bad sportsmanship.

I wonder how people on here would feel if Torrey Smith or Wes Welker did that to us?

Hawaii 5-0
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
The deal is Brown started celebrating during the play, not after the fact. The refs would of nullified the TD and then what would we be saying this week. Especially if we did not score.

Antonio Brown's TD would have still counted.

unsportsmanlike conduct results in a 15-yard penalty which is assessed after the completion of the play. when it occurs after a scoring play, the 15 yards are assessed on the kickoff which means the TD would have counted and we would have been kicking off from the 20 yard line.

steelax04
10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Finally got to see the play and thought it was funny, but douchey indeed. Although I'm not sure why people can slowly high step into the endzone w out a penalty. I didn't think it was penalty worthy personally, but certainly a show of bad sportsmanship.

I wonder how people on here would feel if Torrey Smith or Wes Welker did that to us?

I think it may be that it seemed to be directed at the other team. High stepping is general shenanigans. Pointing at an opposing player while running to the endzone will get you a penalty. I guess turning around and facing the other team is taunting since you're, in a way, directing it toward them...? :noidea:

steelerchad
10-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Antonio Brown's TD would have still counted.

unsportsmanlike conduct results in a 15-yard penalty which is assessed after the completion of the play. when it occurs after a scoring play, the 15 yards are assessed on the kickoff which means the TD would have counted and we would have been kicking off from the 20 yard line.

I'm not 100% sure, but because this taunting occured before he scored, I believe it would have been 15 yards from the spot of the foul, so the ball would have been moved back to somewhere around the 30 yard line. No TD.

Steel Peon
10-31-2012, 09:58 PM
I simply don't understand how running backwards is taunting? I don't think we'll see it again, though.

Fire Arians
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but because this taunting occured before he scored, I believe it would have been 15 yards from the spot of the foul, so the ball would have been moved back to somewhere around the 30 yard line. No TD.

unsportsmanlike conduct is always treated like a dead ball foul, it is 15 yards assessed after the completion of a play. if the play is a scoring play, it's assessed on the kickoff. TD would have counted. the illegal block in the back penalty was much more devastating, but still you don't want to give good field position back to the opponent after scoring (what kicking from the 20 yard line would definitely do)

steelerchad
10-31-2012, 10:50 PM
unsportsmanlike conduct is always treated like a dead ball foul, it is 15 yards assessed after the completion of a play. if the play is a scoring play, it's assessed on the kickoff. TD would have counted. the illegal block in the back penalty was much more devastating, but still you don't want to give good field position back to the opponent after scoring (what kicking from the 20 yard line would definitely do)

Thanks for the clarification.

steelersforever58
11-01-2012, 12:50 AM
That crap showboating draws flags, as this one did, so I think you'll be in the minority. Looking through this thread, I think the bulk of fans on the forum are against getting penalized for self aggrandizing bullshit on the field. I'm glad that's the case, as part of the Steeler's team philosophy is being the working mans team. No room for pointless grandstanding here.

I said except for the fact there was a penalty involved, I don't think most fans would have a problem with it. For those who still would have a problem, I would say pull the stick out of your a$$.

Hawaii 5-0
11-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I said except for the fact there was a penalty involved, I don't think most fans would have a problem with it. For those who still would have a problem, I would say pull the stick out of your a$$.

so Water Boy, you're saying that Mike Tomlin needs to pull the stick out of his ass? I can already tell you're not going to last long on this message board...:coffee:

Brown gets clear message

Wednesday, October 31, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201210/pd12steelers102812_330.jpg

Tomlin took Antonio Brown to task privately and publicly for his taunting penalty on an punt return against Washington.

"I not only spoke to Antonio, but I spoke to our team about it," Tomlin said. "Briefly, simply what I said is that it was not respectable. Those of us that know Antonio and watch him work on a day-to-day basis, if one word describes him professionally it's respectable. How he prepares, what he's willing to do, what kind of teammate he is, and that's represented in his play. That's the way we approached it.

"I thought it was an awesome learning opportunity for the entire group because, as professionals, I think that's a word everyone would want to describe their play.

"I think people that don't see you work on a day-to-day basis are capable of making judgments about you personally and professionally based on what they see, so we want to do what's respectable. That's what we talked about and kind of moved on."

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12305/1273184-66.stm#ixzz2AwOdhDpH

steelersforever58
11-01-2012, 01:20 AM
so Water Boy, you're saying that Mike Tomlin needs to pull the stick out of his ass? I can already tell you're not going to last long on this message board...:coffee:

Brown gets clear message

Wednesday, October 31, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201210/pd12steelers102812_330.jpg

Tomlin took Antonio Brown to task privately and publicly for his taunting penalty on an punt return against Washington.

"I not only spoke to Antonio, but I spoke to our team about it," Tomlin said. "Briefly, simply what I said is that it was not respectable. Those of us that know Antonio and watch him work on a day-to-day basis, if one word describes him professionally it's respectable. How he prepares, what he's willing to do, what kind of teammate he is, and that's represented in his play. That's the way we approached it.

"I thought it was an awesome learning opportunity for the entire group because, as professionals, I think that's a word everyone would want to describe their play.

"I think people that don't see you work on a day-to-day basis are capable of making judgments about you personally and professionally based on what they see, so we want to do what's respectable. That's what we talked about and kind of moved on."

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12305/1273184-66.stm#ixzz2AwOdhDpH

If Tomlin honestly believes running backwards into the end zone is being disrespectfull, then yes that is exactly what I am saying. Maybe he has been around stuffy white guys for to long. Let the players have fun.

OX1947
11-01-2012, 03:21 AM
I have watched Desean Jackson do ten times worse and not get a call. Running backwards is not taunting, it was crazy to watch a man run backwards faster then I can run forwards.

Buddha Bus
11-01-2012, 04:16 AM
If Tomlin honestly believes running backwards into the end zone is being disrespectfull, then yes that is exactly what I am saying. Maybe he has been around stuffy white guys for to long. Let the players have fun.

Yes, it IS disrespectful AND stupid considering it's a penalty. But hey, at least you played the race card. :thumbsup:

Bayz101
11-01-2012, 05:23 AM

It's against the rules. Brown should know that, and he didn't. It IS disrespectful to turn around, jog backwards into the endzone and taunt players behind you. No need to play the race-card.

Steelerindc
11-01-2012, 06:50 AM

Lighting people up is what your supposed to do when you're on the football field. Taking there focus off there game plan and putting it on where you're going to be is a part of playing this physical game of football.

Defensive players take pride in making those same kinds of hit on the QB after an interception (Kurt Warner against the Saints, etc...).

Hines played a physical brand of ball, DB's don't like to get hit they like to do the hitting. Look at the way DeAngelo Hall acted this weekend, that should tell you everything you need to know about a DB's mindset.

They're taught to be physical and tackle but when the rabbit got the gun it's illegal and and foul.

BTW, I didn't see anything wrong about E. Sanders did.

teegre
11-01-2012, 08:07 AM

I hate white people, too... especially white women.
Sincerely,
Orenthal

maddog78
11-01-2012, 08:16 AM
We used to have stuffy black players, like Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Mel Blount, Donnie Shell. It's not a race thing, it's a generational thing. Showboating is the product of the Me Generation.

steelfury02
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree - generational

Watch and listen carefully to interviews of Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Then, listen to interviews of Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace. Not hard to see the difference in how they carry themselves.

That said - I'll always go back to the "what if Michael Jordan had to play in the 24/7 media/social media era?" We might have heard some stupid things from him more often as well. Maybe not - but there is a lot more ways for these players to seem stupid and more opportunities to put themselves in bad situations

maddog78
11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
If you can find video of Lynn Swann's circus catch in SB X, the one he tipped to himself and caught falling to the turf, pay special attention to the reaction afterwards by Swann and Stallworth.

Stallworth helps him up, and they both walk back to the huddle.

I can't imagine the magnitude of the dancing and gyrating that would occur today on a similar play.

Steelerfreak58
11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
He needs to knock the shit off and act like a professional. Masters at their craft don't have to show boat. You never saw a guy like Jerry Rice do that kind of crap.

AB does it every time he gets a first down. ITS HIS JOB TO DO THAT. Catch the ball put the ball down go back to the huddle. On a TD sure do a little bit of celebrating with your team but get back to focusing on the next series.

This team right now is not that good. If you are 6-0 or 5-1 I can see a little bit of swagger but this team has not really done much to show anyone they can be that full of themselves.

New York is going to be a good test of the teams resolve to still be considered one of the better teams in the AFC.

They have not done much this season to walk around with that kind of swagger or attitude not to mention its not Steeler football. Just goes to show you Mr. Tomlin doesn't have much control on his players. Noll or Cowher would have shut that crap down quick.

maddog78
11-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I have watched Desean Jackson do ten times worse and not get a call. Running backwards is not taunting, it was crazy to watch a man run backwards faster then I can run forwards.

Good point....there is no consistency with this rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUr_oXh6h_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqkdkpCXp_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAiypz60dM

steelax04
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Good point....there is no consistency with this rule.

First one I don't have any problem with as he needed to see where players were to run out the clock (even if that wasn't his initial intention...)

Second and third, on the other hand... taunting penalities should have flown.

Hawaii 5-0
11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
If Tomlin honestly believes running backwards into the end zone is being disrespectfull, then yes that is exactly what I am saying. Maybe he has been around stuffy white guys for to long.

you mean as opposed to being around stuffy black guys for too long?

you're on a roll with two ignorant comments in a row. they saw the third time is a charm, so I can't wait to see your next post to see what your next great contribution to this board will be.

steelersforever58
11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
So for some of you, should all celebrations be penalized. Aren't they all a form of taunting. Why is it ok to high step Deon Sanders style into the end zone, but wrong to run in backwards? I'm comming at this from the perspective that the rule itself is ridiculous. Let the players be individuals. Swann and Stallworth did things their way, let Antonio Brown do things his way.

I am a white guy by the way, just not a stuffy one.

Darkstorm05
11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
So for some of you, should all celebrations be penalized. Aren't they all a form of taunting.

No, just the excessive ones. That's why the rule cites "Excessive Celebration". Antonio can do things "His way" just as soon as he buys the team. Meanwhile, he'll be doing things Tomlin's way...no showboating.

harrison'samonster
11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
does the taunting rule exist partly to keep fans from overreacting and throwing things at players or creating a riot like atmosphere?

A couple years ago Randy Moss pretended to moon the Green Bay fans, I wonder if the league was worried about things getting out of control

Darkstorm05
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
does the taunting rule exist partly to keep fans from overreacting and throwing things at players or creating a riot like atmosphere?

A couple years ago Randy Moss pretended to moon the Green Bay fans, I wonder if the league was worried about things getting out of control

It exists for a lot of reasons. I think part of the wording specifically applies to Terrible Towels, in fact. Also to keep morons from doing silly shit with the football. Remember when those Eagles got fined for doing the Captain pose after a TD? Rule to the rescue so they could get fined for endorsing a product for charity. Puts a halt to conga lines, 5 minute long dance routines, etc..

teegre
11-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I could not figure out how to post the YouTube video... (I am such a luddite).

Anyway, I think that I got it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUXV7crct8

JeromeBetties63
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Cowher would have shut that down. I like Tomlin, but he needs to nip this stuff now.

JeromeBetties63
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM

You sound like a ratbird fan in disguise. Get a clue. Hines did not try to intentionally hurt people. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

FrancoLambert
11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
"It's a generation issue."
It sure is and not for the better. Go ahead call me an "old timer" who's stuck in the glory days of Swann and Stallworth when this topic was discussed in another/similar thread. Class and professionalism should not be limited to the older generation. Class and professionalism are never out of style. As the saying goes, "act like you've been there before."
Why put a bigger bullseye on your back or knees by showing up a CB.
By all accounts AB is a dedicated professional commited to being the best WR he can be.
Act like it on the field. Running backwards......:doh:

Hawaii 5-0
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
"It's a generation issue."

It sure is and not for the better. Go ahead call me an "old timer" who's stuck in the glory days of Swann and Stallworth when this topic was discussed in another/similar thread. Class and professionalism should not be limited to the older generation. Class and professionalism are never out of style. As the saying goes, "act like you've been there before."

Why put a bigger bullseye on your back or knees by showing up a CB.

By all accounts AB is a dedicated professional commited to being the best WR he can be.

Act like it on the field. Running backwards......:doh:

couldn't have said it better myself...:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
well the league decided they didnt like it too much, having fined him $10,000 today.

Hawaii 5-0
11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
well the league decided they didnt like it too much, having fined him $10,000 today.

Steelers Antonio Brown fined $10,000 for taunting against Washington in Week 8

By Neal Coolong on Nov 3

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/antonio-brown-punt-return.jpg

Brown picked up the Steelers' first fine since Week 2 for his backpedaling incident against Washington.

According to Tarik El-Bashir of CSN Washington, Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has been fined $10,000 for running backward 20 yards into the end zone on an otherwise penalized play during the Steelers' 27-12 win over Washington in Week 8.

There aren't formal announcements for fines, and typically, news of them are brought to the attention of the media by the player or the player's agent. Brown hasn't confirmed or denied the report, but it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.

He was penalized 15 yards for taunting on the play, but the Redskins accepted the illegal block in the back penalty on cornerback Curtis Brown instead.

It breaks a string of four consecutive games without a fine for a Steelers player. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons had the last fine, getting docked $21,000 for a hit on Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez in Week 2.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/3/3594326/steelers-antonio-brown-fined-10000-for-taunting-against-washington-in

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 02:53 PM
just so people know, the taunting penalty alone wouldnt have negated the TD. those are college and HS rules.

thats why the redskins declined the taunting penalty and accepted the illegal block in the back (which DOES negate td's).

Darkstorm05
11-03-2012, 03:06 PM
just so people know, the taunting penalty alone wouldnt have negated the TD. those are college and HS rules.

thats why the redskins declined the taunting penalty and accepted the illegal block in the back (which DOES negate td's).

That is true, but 15 extra yards on a kickoff return for us right now is almost as bad. Regardless of the mechanics of the flag, it was a poor decision, and I'm satisfied Brown has been suitably humbled on this one. Look for a more focused Brown to have a big game this week.

GoFor7
11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Cowher would have shut that down. I like Tomlin, but he needs to nip this stuff now.

He needs to stop being buddy-buddy with the players. There needs to be a fear-factor between Tomlin and the players like there was when Cowher was the coach.

SteelerJay
11-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't personally care for the taunting but...what's the overall fear of it? If the defence or special team can let a guy run backwards into the endzone for 25 yards, well they ought to take whatever is coming their way...taunting, dancing, broadway show, one-act plays whatever..

Steelersfan87
11-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Please, Cowher's team had no shortage of brash, in-your-face personalities both on and off the field. Just because he had a big chin doesn't mean he was this harsh disciplinarian that had his players in military form (which they were far from).

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
He needs to stop being buddy-buddy with the players. There needs to be a fear-factor between Tomlin and the players like there was when Cowher was the coach.this is another grand myth amongst steelerfans (along with the "deer in headlight" fear and confusion tomlin suffers from).

are you suggesting tomlin should kis ben on the cheek like cowher did kordell.

does tomlin need to say "i love you" more like cowher did with bettis? (was any coach EVER more buddy-buddy with a player?)

how about cowhers love affair with joey porter? who is tomlins personal team mouthpiece?

nobody was ever more of a players coach than cowher was. well maybe his assistant HC russ grimm who would pound a few (cases?) with the o-line in the parking lot after games. :noidea:

people always make these claims, but do any of you have any factual evidence to base tomlin being more friendly and cowher such a hard ass, other than spit flying and sideline demeanor?

please share. :coffee:

anyone remember tomlins 1st camp (lacing hampton on the PUP). nobody was certainly calling him their buddy then.

GoFor7
11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
this is another grand myth amongst steelerfans (along with the "deer in headlight" fear and confusion tomlin suffers from).

are you suggesting tomlin should kis ben on the cheek like cowher did kordell.

does tomlin need to say "i love you" more like cowher did with bettis? (was any coach EVER more buddy-buddy with a player?)

how about cowhers love affair with joey porter? who is tomlins personal team mouthpiece?

nobody was ever more of a players coach than cowher was. well maybe his assistant HC russ grimm who would pound a few (cases?) with the o-line in the parking lot after games. :noidea:

people always make these claims, but do any of you have any factual evidence to base tomlin being more friendly and cowher such a hard ass, other than spit flying and sideline demeanor?

please share. :coffee:

anyone remember tomlins 1st camp (lacing hampton on the PUP). nobody was certainly calling him their buddy then.

Ah, but that's the thing. Cowher did those things as you said, but he knew when it was time to haul-ass when guys screwed up. Players actually feared making a mistake. Today, we too often see the same things. Undisciplined penalties, showboating after routine plays, mouthing off to the media, and just a general lack of humility.

Bayz101
11-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I for one think believe Tomlin knows how to coach better than anyone else here on this forum, therefore i'll refrain from really criticizing him. People loved Cowher, but the fact of the matter is: He got his Super Bowl and hit the road. Took him a while to get it, but he got it, and got out. Tomlin has took us there twice, and I think we'll see the big game a few times yet in this decade.