PDA

View Full Version : Haley's playcalling

Rotorhead
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I think it has been spot on, it is nice to see our OC calling plays for a reason. For instance, that bubble screen to Miller was a thing of beauty, all set up by previous bubble screens. I like the little wrinkles and variations he uses with great results.

Ricco Suavez
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
I defended Arians for a long time and still do not view him as a "bad" OC, but I felt a change was needed to put a spark into this offense. I stated in several posts earlier in the off season that I felt we would struggle early and then depending on how Ben and Haley jelled together could either be very good or very bad. I am happy to say that we seem to be "jelling" as a unit.

Haley's offense is now beginning to click on all cylinders and in doing so has helped other aspects of the offense. His play-calling has helped Ben and his progressions, helped Ben to remain upright more, less risk of injury to Ben. Also the line is becoming more confident and the RBs are benefiting from the play calling as well. I will say I was not happy early when it appeared we were running too much on first and second downs and the running game was anemic at best, but now he is mixing his plays, involving nearly everyone, and thank God using Heath Miller as he should of been used all along.

I feel if we can get some wounded personnel back and the defense can get some key stops here and there we could be deadly late in the season and into the playoffs. Still early and a lot can happen. If the Special Teams play could improve, cut some timely penalties, get a hold of some discipline issues, and in general get a few breaks this team could make a run deep into the playoffs

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
oh i definitely view arians as a bad OC and blame him for part of the reason why we didn't win the super bowl in 2010. his david johnson experiment was a failed one and his whiff caused a fumble when we had momentum.

who can forget the arians abortion vs jacksonville in the playoffs? lol. and let's go into every game with the same gameplan! ben doesnt have time to throw, let's call more 7 step drops! arians was an idiot. ben going deep was the only way we scored touchdowns because we couldn't score in the redzone with that mental midget calling plays

long story short, we fired arians, and the offense is finally not a bunch of underacheivers. coincidence? no

it almost seemed like the only times arians called a decent game, or had a decent gameplan was when ben was banged up and we shortened the passing game. I'd rather keep our QB protected you know, BEFORE he gets injured?

steelerchad
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Ben's taken so few hits this year, I actually held my breath the one time near the end of the game when he tucked it and ran. Since week 2, he's only been sacked 5 times.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
oh i definitely view arians as a bad OC and blame him for part of the reason why we didn't win the super bowl in 2010.

really, how could we have ever guessed? :chuckle:

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/September-2010/The-Ultimate-Hater-039s-Guide-to-the-Tampa-Bay-Bucs/Tomlin-1.jpg

lardlad
10-29-2012, 08:25 PM
it almost seemed like the only times arians called a decent game, or had a decent gameplan was when ben was banged up and we shortened the passing game.
Patriots game is the same type of offense TH is calling. Arians was a freakin idiot. The best game of the year and we go away from it.

Already i've heard twice that TH called a good game. I may have been able to say that about BA twice his whole career.

The guy SUCKED. No two ways about it. He probably took off a couple years of Bens playing career, screwed Willie Parker and likely Mendenhall. Now the guy can't stay healthy, but he is a better back than the one good season he has had.

Now TH is committed to running the ball, and the first guy to two 100 yard games in years was looking for a spot in August.

When we won, it was despite that turd. We likely have 7 right frikken now if he had a clue on situational football. Everything is 30+ yard play with that guy. He would be happy to punt 20 times a game, as long as Ben got off two long passes.

And it is also Tomlin's fault for not seeing this and putting an end to his idiocy years ago. Instead, he waits to be made an a$$ of by the Roony's.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Todd Haley is a good coach. If Haley had a Big Ben in KC, he would have been the coach there for 15 years. Haley is a no nonsense, tempered coach. Very similar to Coughlin. It's no suprise he is doing well and making a difference.

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Todd Haley is a good coach. If Haley had a Big Ben in KC, he would have been the coach there for 15 years. Haley is a no nonsense, tempered coach. Very similar to Coughlin. It's no suprise he is doing well and making a difference.

my brother is a chiefs fan and he was saying we made a huge mistake by hiring haley, i asked him if he ever seen bruce arians and he said no. nuff said :chuckle:

i'm not sure if haley is HC material yet, but his track record as an OC has been money. i made a bet with my brother before the season saying this year's steelers offense will score more than they did last season, looks like I'm gonna win (not surprisingly)

harrison'samonster
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
i'm very happy with Haley. He seems like a great fit with this offense.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 09:28 PM
my brother is a chiefs fan and he was saying we made a huge mistake by hiring haley, i asked him if he ever seen bruce arians and he said no. nuff said :chuckle:

i'm not sure if haley is HC material yet, but his track record as an OC has been money. i made a bet with my brother before the season saying this year's steelers offense will score more than they did last season, looks like I'm gonna win (not surprisingly)

You're brother was right about him going to KC. KC was the worst spot to go. Haley would have been better off waiting and going to a team that had a franchise QB, which is rare for the same reason I was talking about or wait until a job like the Colts opens up and knowing they are getting Andrew Luck, and campaign for that job. Haley would have had a long career in Indy with Luck.

Edman
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
it almost seemed like the only times arians called a decent game, or had a decent gameplan was when ben was banged up and we shortened the passing game. I'd rather keep our QB protected you know, BEFORE he gets injured?

Arians would call a decent game

1) When Ben is banged up
2) When Ben is out of the game and Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich is in.

Otherwise it's heave a deep ball every passing play and have Ben run for his life.

RBs? Run 'em up the middle into brick walls. No screens or anything.
FB's? What's that?
WRs? Fly and Fish Routes. No slants.
TEs? Stand in and block.

No versatility or adjustments to the Arians Offense whatsoever. It's a miracle the Steelers won a SB, let alone made it two of them with this millstone turd at OC.

SoCalFan
10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Some were calling for his head early on! I knew it would be a matter of time! I still want more no huddle!

GoFor7
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
I'd like to see them take a few shots downfield more often. With the running game coming to life and play-action now an option, there's really no excuse not to throw a few bombs.

tony hipchest
10-30-2012, 01:09 AM
I'd like to see them take a few shots downfield more often. With the running game coming to life and play-action now an option, there's really no excuse not to throw a few bombs.all in due time, grasshoppa.

no sense in blowing our wad vs the likes of bungles and washington.

teegre
10-30-2012, 02:13 AM
all in due time, grasshoppa.

no sense in blowing our wad vs the likes of bungles and washington.

That's what I've been thinking: dink, dunk, run... dink, dunk, run... dink, dunk, run... and then when a GOOD team is lulled to sleep, blamo!!! BB hits Wallace deep three times in one game.

I remember in 1997, Cowher unleashed this type of gameplan against the Broncos. And, while I had figured that they were saving it for BALT, I could see it bring unleashed this weekend.

ZoneBlitzer
10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
The biggest thing Haley is doing is possibly extending Ben's career with the quick passing attack. I don't mind the dink and dunk, so long as it moves the chains and gets points.
I also like how he's starting to integrate Rainey in more during this backfield injury situation.

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I think Haley has a chance to build something special w/the Steelers and knows it. I can't speak to his time in KC - but there are lot of rumblings about the ownership looking for a reason to put someone in hot water

Also - just like Dick, maybe he really is just suited to be a coordinator than a HC?

I can't imagine too many spots where his chance at winning and winning big are as great as where he is right now

GoFor7
10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
That's what I've been thinking: dink, dunk, run... dink, dunk, run... dink, dunk, run... and then when a GOOD team is lulled to sleep, blamo!!! BB hits Wallace deep three times in one game.

I remember in 1997, Cowher unleashed this type of gameplan against the Broncos. And, while I had figured that they were saving it for BALT, I could see it bring unleashed this weekend.

So the deep ball is some big secret play that can only be used once in the first 8 games? How about using it more often to keep the other team's defense more honest? That could really open up more intermediate routes and help the running game.

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 11:16 AM
So the deep ball is some big secret play that can only be used once in the first 8 games? How about using it more often to keep the other team's defense more honest? That could really open up more intermediate routes and help the running game.

Except IMO, no one is fearing it, even after two solid performances, because of one of the best receiving corps in the league is on the field.

I think that may change a little if Dwyer breaks 100 against Giants.

I also think that we just witnessed some new tricks out of Haley's O - and maybe this is all setting things up nicely for the stretch run. Haley seems to be more from the mold of - "I'm going to set things up nicely and when the timing is right - we'll have them right where we want them." Just my assumption based on his solid situational play-calling thus far.

I like to think back to the XL squad, and how they really shocked everyone when they came out firing in the playoffs after being an efficient offense. Who knows, we might just be witnessing one sly fox in Haley? :noidea:

wera176
10-30-2012, 12:23 PM

From what I can tell, KC was actually better with him than they are now without him... :noidea:

To your point and another poster's point, not every coordinator is a good HC...

Men of Steel
10-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I love Todd Haleys playcalling. Waaaay better than BA's.

First of all, unlike Arian's, TH's bubble screens ACTUALLY WORK!

And personally i like the dink and dunk playcalling. It's EFFECTIVE!

Steelers are completing a little over 50% on third downs, which is HUGE compared to last year we couldnt convert if life depended on it.

4 for 7 on 4th downs, also really good.

Time of possesion avg about 35 min, and considering the fact that our D hardly creates turnovers we are still +1 in turnover ratio, which means the offense is protecting the ball ! last year we were horrible in that category.

Not to mention big bens 14 TDs to only 3 piks, and only sacked like 5 times since week 2.

Steelers are much more effective in the redzone than last year as well. those play action passes to FBs and TEs are brilliant down there. lining up goaline instead of shotgun with 5 wide 1st 2nd and 3rd and goal was just frustrating with BA.

LVSteelersfan
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
People were so certain that Haley would be blowing his top on the sidelines and that Ben and him would not get along. There is no reason for Haley to blow his top because he is not the man in charge. It is a totally different thing being a coordinator instead of a head coach. I thought it was a good choice and firing Arians was the best thing that ever happened to this team. Watching Arians use the exact same game plan with the exact same scripted plays every week just set my teeth on edge. Throwing the ball on a rainy night in Cleveland when they couldn't stop the run for squat. I so much wanted to get back to the Whisenhunt days with the trick plays that actually worked. Thank God for Haley. Now if he could just teach them how to throw a RB screen without telegraphing it. That is my one complaint about the Steeler's O this year. That would be a good thing.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I love Todd Haleys playcalling. Waaaay better than BA's.

First of all, unlike Arian's, TH's bubble screens ACTUALLY WORK!

And personally i like the dink and dunk playcalling. It's EFFECTIVE!

Steelers are completing a little over 50% on third downs, which is HUGE compared to last year we couldnt convert if life depended on it.

4 for 7 on 4th downs, also really good.

Time of possesion avg about 35 min, and considering the fact that our D hardly creates turnovers we are still +1 in turnover ratio, which means the offense is protecting the ball ! last year we were horrible in that category.

Not to mention big bens 14 TDs to only 3 piks, and only sacked like 5 times since week 2.

Steelers are much more effective in the redzone than last year as well. those play action passes to FBs and TEs are brilliant down there. lining up goaline instead of shotgun with 5 wide 1st 2nd and 3rd and goal was just frustrating with BA.

Good Post, my sentiments exactly. For those who down Arians I will still point out he has had no trouble finding other jobs and usually is hired by another coach who he has competed against. Whether you like him or not he is still viewed as a competent OC by his peers, maybe not a head coach but as a coordinator he is held in much higher esteem than the fans.

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Good Post, my sentiments exactly. For those who down Arians I will still point out he has had no trouble finding other jobs and usually is hired by another coach who he has competed against. Whether you like him or not he is still viewed as a competent OC by his peers, maybe not a head coach but as a coordinator he is held in much higher esteem than the fans.

disagree, he's been crap and always has been crap ever since he coached at cleveland. he couldn't even create a winning program at the college level.

he's ridden to coattails of manning and roethlisberger, any competent owner can see that. after 2 super bowl appearances there wasn't anyone knocking down the doors of our front office to sign this guy, there's probably a reason for that. he wasn't picked up until he was given his walking papers, if he was any good he would have had offers before he got fired.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Not going to argue his merits, he is gone, just saying that in a league of professionals whose job is to win games and winning games keeps them employed choose to put him in a position that the fans of Pittsburgh felt he was so bad as to be laughable. I know owners and GMs and coaches all make mistakes yet to be hired as many times as he has then they seem to think he can do a good job. Hey Belichek could not win until he drafted Brady, Lebeau was not a legend til his second time around, hate him all you want but he is not without a job.

BlaZeQuietly
10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I think Haley is doing a remarkable job. It may have taken a few games to get used to his style but now that they are I am seeing some pretty tricky, nifty stuff going down on the field and I like it. Can't wait to see how to stack up against the Giants,.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-30-2012, 08:12 PM
I like Tood Haley's playcalling thus far. And I get the sense that he hasn't even really dug deep into the playbook yet. Our offfense is more balanced and does not feel depserate like Arians' offense always did.

I do think he is saving a lot of tricks for December football, and for when we meet the Ravens.

lloydwoodson
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Haley was 19-27 as the Chiefs' HC. The Chiefs are a 1-7 team this year without him. Matt Cassel is a mediocre Qb at best and the talent they have has been overstated. I really like what Haley has brought to the team. If the young players on this team could hold onto the damn ball the Steelers would be averaging 30 a game.

teegre
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Haley was 19-27 as the Chiefs' HC. The Chiefs are a 1-7 team this year without him. Matt Cassel is a mediocre Qb at best and the talent they have has been overstated. I really like what Haley has brought to the team. If the young players on this team could hold onto the damn ball the Steelers would be averaging 30 a game.

KC w/ Haley:
They had three dynamic RBs, who rushed on ANYBODY.

KC w/out Haley:
Jamaal Charles still looks good, but those other two look horrible. And so does KC.

When Haley had a good QB and good WRs, he passed with authority (see : ARIZ's offense). When Haley had good RBs, he ran the ball with vigor (see: KC's offense). Now that he has BOTH the passing attack (BB, AB, Wallace, Heath, Sanders) AND the rushing attack (Droppy, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey) ...well... simply, while thos offense is good, it hasn't even peaked yet. As in: by week twelve, 30 points should be the minimum standard.

austinfrench76
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Love Haley's offense so far. I think it is actually one of the reasons that Wallace won't be here next year. I know it's silly to say that we don't NEED a guy with that kind of speed but look at how they are using him this year. His YPC are way down versus his career average (12.8 vs 18.7) and you don't pay a guy 11M per just to stretch the field 2 or maybe 3 times a game. They should resign Sanders and look at a 3rd-6th round speedster in the draft. That sounds like it fits Haley's offense better.

GoFor7
11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Love Haley's offense so far. I think it is actually one of the reasons that Wallace won't be here next year. I know it's silly to say that we don't NEED a guy with that kind of speed but look at how they are using him this year. His YPC are way down versus his career average (12.8 vs 18.7) and you don't pay a guy 11M per just to stretch the field 2 or maybe 3 times a game. They should resign Sanders and look at a 3rd-6th round speedster in the draft. That sounds like it fits Haley's offense better.

Perhaps they should use Wallace's speed to their advantage then. With a better running game there really is not excuse not to take shots down field more often. Also, don't say "if they score fast the defense won't get as much rest!" The Steelers defense has proven it can lose a game in less than 25 minutes. The more the offense scores and the faster they score, the better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I thought the fake WR screen and then seam pass to Miller was genius. Defenses are getting used to Miller lead blocking on the WR screen and then get burnt by Miller.

All the whiner fans on this forum that were crying about the run game the first few games and now are on the Haley bandwagon need to check themselves. Running the football takes a committment and a healthy O line. At least Haley didnt abandon it like other OC's and its now getting established.

Bluedust
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I freaking love Todd Haley.