PDA

View Full Version : When is it right time to use first round pick for a qb?

Born2preach90
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I was wondering and don't get me wrong Big Ben still has a good 4 or 5 more good years left in his tank. When is it a right time to take a first round qb in our draft pick? I was looking at Gino Smoth from WVU, I know hes been taking a lot of heat for the 2 losses but the way he's falling in defy board, we could pick him up in the frat round. Hell be a great qb with a decoy defense. Problem with wvu, was the had no d, so when other teams stop the offense they got blown out twice!

What do you think guys as girls?

tburhans
10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't think we need to draft a qb until ben has two to three years left. Then you let the kid develop behind ben for a couple years so he's ready to step in just like green bay did with rodgers. That way you don't throw a rookie qb to the wolves and.struggle while they develop

Born2preach90
10-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't think we need to draft a qb until ben has two to three years left. Then you let the kid develop behind ben for a couple years so he's ready to step in just like green bay did with rodgers. That way you don't throw a rookie qb to the wolves and.struggle while they develop

Wasn't Rodgers in nfl 4 years before he started? I don't know why, but I really like Gino. If he falls all the way down to late in the dirt round, he could possibly be a big steal for them. Give the fact we don't really have any deciet backup. Let's face it Batch is old.

PhantomJB93
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I would not draft a QB early until at least 2016 or 2017

teegre
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
I hear what you're saying... but, no.

As someone already said: not until BB has 2-3 years left. And even then, maybe not.

Right now, it is more important to surround BB with talent (OL, WRs, RB) and/or to solidify the aging defense. Why? To win as many SuperBowls with BB as possible; he is one of the few "elite" QBs in this league, and the Steelers might not find one again for a while (between Bradshaw & BB, there was 20 years).

Win now.

Make sense?

SteelersCanada
11-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't know why, but I really like Gino. If he falls all the way down to late in the dirt round, he could possibly be a big steal for them.

Geno Smith is going to be the number 1 overall pick this year. Them getting Geno is completely and utterly out of the question.

I'd say when Ben is the starter and we're picking in the top 10, it's time to pick another quarterback. Of course if that happens to be next year it'd be silly, but I hope you get my point.