PDA

View Full Version : Report: Wallace' last year in Pittsburgh

maddog78
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Trade deadline approaching. Do you make a move? Get a couple picks and you could speed up the defensive rebuilding.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/12078085?widget=true

teegre
10-29-2012, 08:21 PM
No.

Use him for #7... and then franchise him.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 08:26 PM
No.

Use him for #7... and then franchise him.

Eh. We're 0-for-Wallace in Super Bowls. Not like he's the straw that stirs the Lombardi Cocktail. And we're way over the cap next year, so paying him that much might not be a prudent move when we need more help on defense.

Anything less than a SB victory this year and we lose him for nothing is a huge waste.

teegre
10-29-2012, 08:31 PM
With him is more of a chance than without him.

I say let him play this year, and "worst case": he walks.

As far as franchising him goes, I've mentioned, a few times, about using the cap space on offense, and the draft for defense. I won't bore you with it (again), but if the Steelers could keep this offense together, for a few years... until BB retires, they could be dynamic!!!

[Note: Two years out of Wallace, for about $13 million is a bargain: this year $2.7 million, plus franchise $10 million, equals total: $13 million.]

Darkstorm05
10-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I give this 25% he takes a price cut and stays, vs 75% he goes elsewhere for pay far higher than he deserves. Can we even afford to franchise him at this point? We restructured a lot of big contracts, and those are coming due.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Winning number 7 this year would put Big Ben in the hall of fame and put the Steelers in a category unmatched in the Super Bowl Era. 7 Super Bowl wins, 9 appearances. DIZAMN.

Fire Arians
10-29-2012, 08:37 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6649/khaaaaan.jpg

SteelersCanada
10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
I give this 25% he takes a price cut and stays, vs 75% he goes elsewhere for pay far higher than he deserves. Can we even afford to franchise him at this point? We restructured a lot of big contracts, and those are coming due.

A lot of dead money will be up in the air, but cutting a bunch of the old guys will save cap space. You're looking at the last seasons of Harrison, Hampton, and Keisel at least. There's a possibility of more than that, though. Guys like Batch, Leftwich, Mendenhall and Redman probably won't be brought back either. Granted, they aren't exactly soaking the cap but with 7 - 8 guys off the cap, we're suddenly well below it.

We won't franchise Wallace because he'll resign. All of this garbage is ridiculous. He's said he wants to stay here and I believe him. All of these "reports" from guys like Sessler and Rapoport are bogus and are clearly writing for headlines. These are the same guys writing that Haley and Roethlisberger have a feud and are fighting constantly.

My best guess would be a 5 year 52.5 million w/ 28 million in guaranteed money. This guy is a lot more talented than people are giving him credit for.

If he doesn't, he'll be franchise tagged and signed to a long term deal in a couple of years.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
LaCanfora needs to check his facts better...

Wallace is not playing under the franchise tag, he's playing under the restricted free agent tender.

maddog78
10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
My best guess would be a 5 year 52.5 million w/ 28 million in guaranteed money. This guy is a lot more talented than people are giving him credit for.

That would be a ridiculous contract. I hope Colbert and Rooney are smarter than that.

Pouncey will be coming up in a couple years. And we need help on defense.

With Brown and Sanders, we're fine at 1-2 WRs. The rest can be added on the cheap.

Speaking of which, I'd take Holmes back in a heartbeat. He's a true big game receiver.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Eh. We're 0-for-Wallace in Super Bowls. Not like he's the straw that stirs the Lombardi Cocktail. And we're way over the cap next year, so paying him that much might not be a prudent move when we need more help on defense.

Anything less than a SB victory this year and we lose him for nothing is a huge waste.:huh: every team but 3 is 0-for-whatever in the SB with their star receivers since wallace came into the league. NO wr is the straw that stirs the "lombardi cocktail".

totally disagree that letting a 4 year player (3rd round draft pick) walk in free agency, is a "huge waste". we'd get atleast a 4th in return as comp, which is much better than what we got for sb mvp sancancerio holmes.

while i agree that wallace is done as a steeler, dave at steelersdepot has nicely painted the scenario how we can massage him under the cap.

omar kahn is the best in the biz pulling off such magic w/o mortgaging the future.

dustyblades
10-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Not like he's the straw that stirs the Lombardi Cocktail.

:rofl:

OX1947
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Ah oh, here comes Tony Anklewrist with his contrarian retort. Everybody WATCH OUT. He'll getcha!

austinfrench76
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
The thing about Wallace is that teams will know - whatever he does is Pittsburgh is the very best they could get out of him. Why? Becasue very few teams have Franchise QB's like Ben. There is not a throw that BB cannot make and Wallace will have had him for his every year in the league. I know someone will step up and pay him more than he's worth but I still think he could land in Pittsburgh for less than is being discussed. Keep him and try and sign him.

Hawaii 5-0
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Keep him and try and sign him.

we did, and I'm sure we will again.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Ah oh, here comes Tony Anklewrist with his contrarian retort. Everybody WATCH OUT. He'll getcha!

uh oh, OXymoron has chimed in with his fantastic take on the subject. an oxymoron is when two words or ideas are put together, yet mean the exact opposite and are sort of contradictory.

so maddog diminishes wallace's value to the team, short of lucking into a SB win with him, yet letting him go will be a waste of epic proportions.

nothing contrarian about that.

so which one is it? :tap:

dont worry... OXygen'll tellya!

ricardisimo
10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
:noidea:

He disagrees with someone, and he did so without any name calling, so far as I can tell. What's the big?

P.S. - Never mind.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Steelers draft stud wide receivers in droves. Mike Wallace is expendable if he thinks he is worff 10 mil per.

ETL
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Pigs will fly out of my kosher ass before the Steelers franchise Mike Wallace for next season.

Edman
10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Speaking of which, I'd take Holmes back in a heartbeat. He's a true big game receiver.

Santonio has lost his "big game" ability years ago. Now he has no game.

The Steelers are better off going with drafting another WR. Ben is at the stage in his career than it doesn't even matter who's at WR. He'll make them better.

This overestimating of the overrated Mike Wallace is quite ridiculous. He never shows up in big games and is soft as a pillow.

OX1947
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Pigs will fly out of my kosher ass before the Steelers franchise Mike Wallace for next season.

yah, what the jew said.

tony hipchest
10-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Santonio has lost his "big game" ability years ago. Now he has no game.

The Steelers are better off going with drafting another WR. Ben is at the stage in his career than it doesn't even matter who's at WR. He'll make them better.

This overestimating of the overrated Mike Wallace is quite ridiculous. He never shows up in big games and is soft as a pillow.by "big games" i assume you mean playoff games? how many has he played in? 4?

suprise...suprise... his OC never bothered to show up in big games either. EVER.

i dont know where this silly notion that he is "soft" comes from, and anyone who says he has no hands, wasnt a fan back when nate washington played.

people are to the "make believe" point of hatin on him for nothing more than his his desires for a big contract (as if he's the first player to want as much $$$ as possible). :headshake:

i understand though. many fans are incapable of seperating teh business from the game and act like jilted lovers.

its like the really nice hot chick who dumps the average joe once somebody better comes along, and all of a sudden is an ugly "bitch". :chuckle: :rolleyes:

steeltheone
10-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Wallace biggest game was against the Raiders backup DB's and he managed only 60 something against a banged up Skins defense.

I believe we are at a point where BR7 spreads the ball around to numerous players and like a previous poster stated " he makes receivers better"

Wallace's money would be better spent elsewhere.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
:huh: every team but 3 is 0-for-whatever in the SB with their star receivers since wallace came into the league. NO wr is the straw that stirs the "lombardi cocktail".

totally disagree that letting a 4 year player (3rd round draft pick) walk in free agency, is a "huge waste". we'd get atleast a 4th in return as comp, which is much better than what we got for sb mvp sancancerio holmes.

while i agree that wallace is done as a steeler, dave at steelersdepot has nicely painted the scenario how we can massage him under the cap.

omar kahn is the best in the biz pulling off such magic w/o mortgaging the future.

Holmes was a cancer? Please explain. This kinds of sour grapes talk always emerges after the Steelers let a player go.

It wouldn't be a waste to let a 3rd round pick walk if he had no market value. Wallace does, he's just not worth the stupid money he wants.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Don't worry, when Wallace does eventually leave, he'll run him down like he's running down Holmes now to illustrate that once again, the Steelers did the right thing.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
so maddog diminishes wallace's value to the team, short of lucking into a SB win with him, yet letting him go will be a waste of epic proportions.

I'm not diminishing his value to the team. I think you're vastly overrating it, especially in Haley's offense that uses the entire field.

Paying Wallace $10M would be sheer folly with so many areas of need on the other side of the ball, and an embarrassment of riches at WR, and on offense in general.

Bayz101
10-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Really? You're not contributing to the discussion with this bullshit. Try at LEAST arguing his claims before you throw your little jabs out there. It's getting old REAL quick.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 08:26 AM
by "big games" i assume you mean playoff games? how many has he played in? 4?

Holmes scored TDs in his first four playoff games and was named SB MVP.

suprise...suprise... his OC never bothered to show up in big games either. EVER.

Didn't stop Holmes...

i dont know where this silly notion that he is "soft" comes from,

The fact that he doesn't come back for the ball, fight for it in traffic, or even make attempts at deep balls unless they're perfectly thrown.

people are to the "make believe" point of hatin on him for nothing more than his his desires for a big contract (as if he's the first player to want as much $$$ as possible). :headshake:

I don't recall anyone begrudging Brown his pay day. He's a complete receiver.

i understand though. many fans are incapable of seperating teh business from the game and act like jilted lovers.

its like the really nice hot chick who dumps the average joe once somebody better comes along, and all of a sudden is an ugly "bitch". :chuckle: :rolleyes:

Kind of like you did with Holmes? Glass houses.

Vis
10-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Who's the trade partner? Give me a team that will offer anything for him knowing they have to pay him the big contract immediately.

Bayz101
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Holmes scored TDs in his first four playoff games and was named SB MVP.

Didn't stop Holmes...

The fact that he doesn't come back for the ball, fight for it in traffic, or even make attempts at deep balls unless they're perfectly thrown.

I don't recall anyone begrudging Brown his pay day. He's a complete receiver.

Kind of like you did with Holmes? Glass houses.

Holmes' career has went down the drain since being traded. You can't deny that Ben Roethlisberger's arm was the reason for much of his success, including his playoff performances. Even under Bruce Arians we ALWAYS had a chance to win with Ben playing QB.

Mike Wallace seems to play with a lack of effort, and has scored most of his touchdowns this year in losses, so i'm not going to argue your thoughts on him. I too am disappointed in his production, and I feel he isn't proving himself as a #1 receiver so far this season. I'm hoping he lights it up next weekend, and continues lighting it up the rest of this season. He's already had a slow start to his season, and he's nearing the "Only plays tough ONE half of the season" territory we're use to from last year.

Bayz101
10-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Who's the trade partner? Give me a team that will offer anything for him knowing they have to pay him the big contract immediately.

Yeah. It's all bullshit either way. Just another excuse for us all to bitch at Mike Wallace, but quite honestly, I have NO problem with it. Wallace hasn't proved shit this year, plain and simple. Brown has made a lot of big catches that I want to see from Mike Wallace. Wallace can have all of the touchdowns he wants, but until his touchdown number in games we WIN surpass his numbers in games we LOSE, it's all irrelevant to the team.

I know Wallace is going to want every bit of money he can get. What players DOESN'T? That doesn't mean he DESERVES it. I hope we make the playoffs this year. I think THEN we'll get a good look at who's worth the money, and only then.

Vis
10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Mike Wallace seems to play with a lack of effort, and has scored most of his touchdowns this year in losses, so i'm not going to argue your thoughts on him. I too am disappointed in his production, and I feel he isn't proving himself as a #1 receiver so far this season. I'm hoping he lights it up next weekend, and continues lighting it up the rest of this season. He's already had a slow start to his season, and he's nearing the "Only plays tough ONE half of the season" territory we're use to from last year.

Wallace could light it up next week but the point about the lack of effort still holds true. Watch the coaches' tape version of the game last week. On plays where Wallace is the decoy, he half-asses it every time.

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
im sure they already have their eyes on a few possible replacements for Wallace if they already know it is all but a done deal

As all the talking heads say - this is a copy cat league - and it seems like teams such as the Redskins and Cowboys might be changing philosophies by beginning to build through the draft as well and are taking note of the Steelers and the Patriots to an extent, releasing good to great players when they are past their prime or there are other good reasons for their release (attitude makes a big difference to teams I think ,regardless of abilities) . It's been talked about to death, but we got what for our SB MVP again? Teams know now they can get a fantastic receiver through the mid to later rounds.

I'd say there are about 2-3 teams that might pick him up because of desperation or as a "project"

Bayz101
10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Wallace could light it up next week but the point about the lack of effort still holds true. Watch the coaches' tape version of the game last week. On plays where Wallace is the decoy, he half-asses it every time.

And the number one excuse I've heard from a lot of fans isn't holding up anymore, either.

"Wallace attracts double-coverage, therefore opening up lanes over the middle for Antonio Brown."

The fact of the matter is, I've watched Wallace almost EXCLUSIVELY in the first-half of the last two games, and he's NOT double-covered on all passing plays. He was double-covered MORE in the last game, and two or three times in the first half of the Bengals game. Defenses are concentrating on Brown a LOT more now that he's making big plays, and he's still making them.

I'm not saying Brown is as good, or better than Wallace. I'm just saying, the excuses being made from Wallace aren't acceptable. He's the #1 guy on the depth chart....even if Brown IS Ben's first read. :chuckle:

teegre
10-30-2012, 08:58 AM

So... what's the problem???
Sincerely,
Randy Moss

tony hipchest
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Don't worry, when Wallace does eventually leave, he'll run him down like he's running down Holmes now to illustrate that once again, the Steelers did the right thing.

well check you out! you know how everyone will react and what everyone will do under any given circumstance that you can conjure up.

that must make you GOD and eveyone knows you cant argue with GOD because GOD is always right. bravo! :applaudit:

now, back to the land of reality.... the story you posted is bogus crap. i didnt even bother reading it. EVERYBODY knows this is the one and only "final" year of wallac's RFA contract.

i have no reason to "run him down" like your hero holmes. wallace hasnt been suspended by the league twice because of his repetitive and continual use of the hippie lettuce. he isnt facing a year long suspension for his next failed drug test. he isnt smashing shot glasses upside bitchez headz up in da club. he hasnt given up on his team and had players tell the coach to get him the **** out of the game, and he DOESNT have teammates all but call him a CANCER and say he was the driving force in the most divisive locker room they have been in their entire career.

make no mistake, ladainian tomlinson has credence. you are an internet jockey who doesnt even know how the league slects which teams play in london and have been wrong on as many things as you have been right. you just pout when called on it.

let me play the all knowing GOD. you are just another Santonio Homer who getts all butthurt anytime someone says anything about your favorite player. if he were still on the team you would be saying how he is the greatest steelers receiver ever, will break every steeler receiving record, and will one day be in the hall of fame with multiple SB MVP awards.

its time for you to get off that jet plane you are flying high on and take off the green and white glasses (or is it buckeye red clouding your eyes with red?)

you dont know me or anyone else on this board or how they would act or feel. act accordingly, jack. :hatsoff:

OX1947
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Really? You're not contributing to the discussion with this bullshit. Try at LEAST arguing his claims before you throw your little jabs out there. It's getting old REAL quick.

hey hey, eeeeeeasy.....

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Ask the Detroit Lions how breaking the bank to pay a WR is working out

Megatron has been a $132M megabust so far

Calvin Johnson does all the right things. He plays harder and he practices even harder. He runs his routes well, sacrifices his body and finishes his blocks. He doesn't respond to trash talk.

The Lions' star receiver also knows how to say the right things.

But after Sunday's 28-24 win over Seattle, Johnson stood by his locker and answered questions about his puzzling ó almost maddening ó lack of production lately, especially early in games.

Johnson caught three passes for 46 yards Sunday. The week before, he had three catches for 34 yards. He didn't have a catch in the first half of either game. And it has been more than a month ó four straight games ó since he caught a touchdown pass.

Johnson grasped for an answer to his suddenly sparse production.

"You know ó um ó I don't know," Johnson said Sunday. "But, hey, we got the win. That's all that matters."

That certainly is the company line around the Lions when it comes to explaining why a player who set the NFL contract record with a $132-million deal in March has one touchdown this year and declining production

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/29/whats-wrong-with-calvin-johnson-detroit-lions/1667543/

Or for that matter ask the Cardinals:noidea:

maddog78
10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
now, back to the land of reality.... the story you posted is bogus crap. i didnt even bother reading it.

You didn't read it, but you know it's crap?

let me play the all knowing GOD. you are just another Santonio Homer who getts all butthurt anytime someone says anything about your favorite player.

No, I just think he's a better all-around WR than Wallace that would be much more affordable.

Did you have a nice nap after your meltdown?

Darkstorm05
10-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Can someone who still thinks we'll sign Wallace explain to me why you think that? The front office gave him a number. He didn't like it, and held out. The team didn't budge. He struggled most of the games so far. Why do you feel all of a sudden we're going to up the price on this guy? I saw some say he "Wanted to be a Steeler" so would come down on price. If that's the case, where was he during training camp? I don't see him putting up any better stats this year than last, and we obviously had a big pricetag argument based on those numbers.

Edman
10-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Or for that matter ask the Cardinals:noidea:

A WR is only as good as his QB. The Cards signed Fitz to a big contract, but never took into account getting someone competent to throw to him.

BlaZeQuietly
10-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Brown and Sanders are both extremely good as well and lately have had better hands, you gotta figure bens get atl east 5 more good years around him so I say we surround him with the best weapons possible and hope for a couple superbowl titles. I know a couple weeks ago the superbowl, even the playoffs seemed unlikely, but we have played very well ever since the second half of the begles game. We keep playing like this and we could make a run this year, beating the giants this weekend would solidify that point and everyone will be saying were a contender

Atlanta Dan
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
A WR is only as good as his QB. The Cards signed Fitz to a big contract, but never took into account getting someone competent to throw to him.

Agreed with the Cardinals - they guessed wrong with Leinart and guessed wrong again with Kolb

But Stafford has a gun - WR is not the position to put your chips on

maddog78
10-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Brown and Sanders are both extremely good as well and lately have had better hands, you gotta figure bens get atl east 5 more good years around him so I say we surround him with the best weapons possible and hope for a couple superbowl titles. I know a couple weeks ago the superbowl, even the playoffs seemed unlikely, but we have played very well ever since the second half of the begles game. We keep playing like this and we could make a run this year, beating the giants this weekend would solidify that point and everyone will be saying were a contender

If you sign Wallace for what he wants, you may have to part with other players in a couple years. The OL is finally starting to shape up. I'd hate to see another team sign away a good lineman because all the money is tied up in Ben and the WRs.

Not to mention, the defense needs some retooling.

OX1947
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Wallace isn't playing with full effort because he doesn't want to jeopardize getting hurt for his big contract. Anyone who pays him 10 mil per are idiots and wasting their money. he is a 7 mil per player, and that's pushing it.

Hawaii 5-0
10-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 10.30.12

TUESDAY, 30 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Nate: Ed, halfway through the season and it seems Wallace has positioned himself as Ben's favorite receiver the past 2-3 weeks (even with drops). In your opinion, what is the likelihood he is back next year with a signed contract (not franchised)?

Ed Bouchette: I'm on record believing that Wallace will sign elsewhere as a free agent.

Kordells Revenge: Hi Ed, great chat as always. I think I finally get why they didn't overpay for recievers in the past (ie let Burress and Washington walk, traded Holmes, etc), but what do you think happens with their current WR corp?

Ed Bouchette: Antonio Brown is signed. Emmanuel Sanders is restricted. Both will be here in 2013, but as I said I think Wallace will find a better deal elsewhere.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118688-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-103012

MaidenIndiana
10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Based on his play this year and the amount of money he's supposedly wanting to be paid per year, what makes everybody sure that another team will sign him.:duel::noidea:

btaylor179
10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
he needs to catch more balls if he wants to get paid

TRH
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Based on his play this year and the amount of money he's supposedly wanting to be paid per year, what makes everybody sure that another team will sign him.:duel::noidea:

unfortunately, for every smart team such as the Patriots and Steelers, there are plenty of DUMB ones too.
Just ask Buffalo Bill fans right now. They just threw more money at one defensive player this year through free agency than what their entire franchise is worth and are getting next to NOTHING for it. We see this time and time again with stupid teams.

He'll get more than we will give him, thats for sure......although i don't think it will be what he was asking for. (but then again, just to repeat, there are plenty of stupid teams out there)

ricardisimo
10-31-2012, 05:17 AM
It's stunning just how little Wallace seems to want to cash in next year. The drops are mind-boggling. And there's no Al Davis around anymore to sign him to a mega-contract based purely on his Super Bowl MVP title this season. :thumbsup:

TRH
10-31-2012, 08:10 AM
It's stunning just how little Wallace seems to want to cash in next year. The drops are mind-boggling. And there's no Al Davis around anymore to sign him to a mega-contract based purely on his Super Bowl MVP title this season. :thumbsup:

there's no Al Davis, but there is a "jerry jones" :sofunny:

teegre
10-31-2012, 08:40 AM
his Super Bowl MVP title this season. :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing: SuperBowl MVP.

SteelersCanada
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Expect him to get a very similar deal to what Victor Cruz receives. Wallace can test FA, but he'll end up on a team like Jacksonville that has all the cap space in the world, but your quarterback is Blaine Gabbert. There's no top end team that has the cap space to sign him, and if he wants the huge payout, he'll have to go on a team that has no chance of winning a title.

However, I don't think this is the case and I've said it many times. He'll resign here and receive a deal that could mirror what Cruz is going to get.

TRH
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Expect him to get a very similar deal to what Victor Cruz receives. Wallace can test FA, but he'll end up on a team like Jacksonville that has all the cap space in the world, but your quarterback is Blaine Gabbert. There's no top end team that has the cap space to sign him, and if he wants the huge payout, he'll have to go on a team that has no chance of winning a title.

However, I don't think this is the case and I've said it many times. He'll resign here and receive a deal that could mirror what Cruz is going to get.

i don't think so. The next deal for Cruz, he's going to get the moon and beyond. Not even a possibility of a chance we'll give Wallace the kind of money Cruz will get.

maddog78
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
i don't think so. The next deal for Cruz, he's going to get the moon and beyond. Not even a possibility of a chance we'll give Wallace the kind of money Cruz will get.

The Steelers have had zero problem getting rid of and replacing good WRs over the years. I'll be very surprised if Wallace is a Steeler next year.

Edman
10-31-2012, 12:48 PM
If there's one thing I know from the Steelers, you don't need a Superstar lineup at WR, you just need one dependable #1 guy. I think it's quite obvious that Antonio Brown is THAT guy, and he has a new contract, so he's not going anywhere.

For all these years, WR's have come and went in Pittsburgh, but only one guy was constant: Hines Ward. The Steelers would be fine at WR because Hines was the leader, and the constant face.

Now Hines is gone, Brown has taken the reigns. Wallace is expendable.

I'd have no problem going with Brown and Sanders at #2 from 2013 and beyond.

MACH1
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I can see it already. The revival of the 'official mike wallace thread'. :doh:

And it's only half way through the season.

Fire Haley
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd trade Wallace today to the Jets for Tebow and their #1 draft pick - get on the phones

steelfury02
10-31-2012, 01:29 PM
you know, I really think he is only to get 7-8 mil, MAYBE 9 somewhere else. Hell - he might end up opposite Fitzgerald

Hawaii 5-0
10-31-2012, 02:24 PM
there's no Al Davis, but there is a "jerry jones" :sofunny:

and a "Daniel Snyder", who has already proven he likes to overpay for ex-Steeler WRS...

BlaZeQuietly
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Dwyer as our #1 running back, Brown and Sanders as out #1 and #2 WRs along with big ben at QB could turn out to be a very dominating force. Use wallace to patch our defense up, and I could smell a SB title or 2 in the making :D

GoFor7
11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Dwyer as our #1 running back, Brown and Sanders as out #1 and #2 WRs along with big ben at QB could turn out to be a very dominating force. Use wallace to patch our defense up, and I could smell a SB title or 2 in the making :D

So the Steelers do it with only 3 WRs?

Bayz101
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
So the Steelers do it with only 3 WRs?

Not like Cotchery is seeing many footballs.

Hawaii 5-0
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
On the Steelers: Wallace adjusts nicely, happily in new offense

November 2, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/306/529/mike-wallace_420.jpg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace pulls in a pass against Redskins' Josh Wilson in the fourth quarter last Sunday at Heinz Field.

The Steelers' new dink-and-dunk offense has shrunk Mike Wallace's receiving statistics, but he has kept a positive outlook about it.

He entered the season as one of the celebrated deep threats in the NFL with a career average of 18.7 yards per catch. After averaging 7.6 yards on 15 receptions the past two games, his season average has dipped to 12.8.

His attitude, however, has not descended with it.

"I'm trying not to, you have to stay positive," Wallace said Thursday. "We're winning right now; you don't want to try to fight it or go against it if it's being productive. I'm just trying to adjust what we're doing in this offense."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has called Todd Haley's offense the "dink and dunk," which is different from the wide open, go-deep thinking under former coordinator Bruce Arians. Haley has emphasized high-percentage passes and getting them away more quickly.

Roethlisberger compared it to the West Coast offense.

"When I grew up, the [San Francisco] 49ers, that's what they did," Roethlisberger said. "That's what a West Coast offense is. Not saying we're a West Coast offense but "dink and dunk' is not a negative term. We're taking advantage of quick, fast receivers, a lot of different receivers, running backs, tight ends, guys getting open.

Especially when defenses take away the big play down the field, that's what's open."

Wallace has been open enough to catch 36 passes for 459 yards and four touchdowns and is on pace to catch more than his career high of 72 last season. He's just not catching them deep much. He had an 82-yard touchdown reception at Tennessee, which accounts for nearly 18 percent of his yardage this season.

Wallace said he's run eight "go" routes all season, but three of those were as decoys or clear-outs.

How many did he run last season?

"Almost five a game!" Wallace said. "I used to go deep a lot last year, until eventually I was just clearing it out for AB and Hines. Now, I haven't really gone much deep. Hopefully, we will."

Antonio Brown leads them with 40 receptions and 480 yards with a 12.0 average. Hines Ward was forced into retirement after the 2011 season. Heath Miller is third with 35 catches for 336 yards and leads the team with six touchdowns. Emmanuel Sanders is next with 22 for 282.

Whereas Arians would use four and five receivers, Haley does not deploy as many as four wide receivers much.

"You have to go with the offense that you're in," Wallace said. "Just do what you're used to doing and you have to be able to adapt, and that's what we're trying to do right now. I get the ball, so that's still cool."

Wallace, a restricted free agent, declined to sign his one-year, $2.7 million tender until the end of the preseason, which allowed him to stay away from spring training and the preseason.

He said he has not thought much about what effect this season might have on his future In one sense, the lower numbers per catch might cause some suitors to shy away; in another, they show he's willing and can play in different styles of offenses.

"It might affect it, it might not," Wallace said. "It might affect it in a good way, it might affect it in a bad way. You never know. Right now, I'm not worried about it. I'm just trying to stay positive.

"It could be a positive thing for me, it just depends on how you look at it, and I'm always looking at it in a positive way, especially when we're winning. As long as we're winning, everybody will be happy."

Wallace also has not given up on the idea that the big play will return in a big way.

"Yeah, I think they'll come. I don't think we're just going to go short the whole year. I think we'll eventually open it up and, whenever we do, we'll be ready for it.

If you look at practice, it's not like we never do it, we're still [throwing deep]. It's just a matter of getting an opportunity in games. Hopefully, we get back to it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-wallace-adjusts-nicely-happily-in-new-offense-660234/#ixzz2B58ezvDJ

austinfrench76
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Wallace is going to say all the right things after his slip up after the Redskins game last week. Where he told a reporter that he "wasn't much a part of the gameplan". I know it doesn't seem like it but he, I think, is smarter than that. He is going to be asking for ALOT of money this off season from some team will over pay him so he will stay the course. But, I don't think he fits Haley's offense well anyways. Look at the disparity between his YPC last year and how many times he's run go routes this year. HUGE difference. I like Wallace and really wanted to keep him but he played his hand this last off season and his money went to Brown. I know some will argue that they can keep both, and they can, BUT they won't! Brown, Sanders and Cotchery with another "Cotchery type" in FA or the draft. Maybe a young speedster in the draft that doesn't cost a mint. I'm looking forward to watching Wallace catch a couple of deep throws this year and then he walks. No worries...

steeltheone
11-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Agreed ... Too many holes on this team for big money at wideout. BR7 will pump up any wideouts stats especially on the dink and dump type offense.

Dwyer needs to be more dependable to even be considered a number 1.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2012, 05:41 PM
On the Steelers: Wallace adjusts nicely, happily in new offense

November 2, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-wallace-adjusts-nicely-happily-in-new-offense-660234/#ixzz2B58ezvDJ

Whomever at the P-G wrote that headline to Bouchette's story apparently did not read the quotes

Wallace does not sound happy at all about the new regime as opposed to the good old days when he ran at least 5 go routes per game :noidea:

Wallace said he's run eight "go" routes all season, but three of those were as decoys or clear-outs.

"Almost five a game!" Wallace said. "I used to go deep a lot last year, until eventually I was just clearing it out for AB and Hines. Now, I haven't really gone much deep. Hopefully, we will."

Nice dig at how AB got open last season

Curtain_of_Steel
11-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Well lucky for us that we have Ike, as when Wallace leaves Ike will shut him down, LOL

Christ, Wallace will have 5 TDs on 5 receptions for 400 yards on Ike. I sure hope if he goes its to someone we won't play.

With that said, I believe Wallace will not be going anyplace. You just do not let him walk for nothing. Minimlayy they tag and trade him. But imo he is not going anyplace. The Offense is to important to lose him with the way its running.

steelfury02
11-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Former receivers don't do well against our secondary. They have the benefit of going up against them in practice, know their tendencies - and one is that if you get physical with him - he isn't much of a factor.

I can't believe I just typed that. I really think he is good as gone.

ricardisimo
11-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Whomever at the P-G wrote that headline to Bouchette's story apparently did not read the quotes

Wallace does not sound happy at all about the new regime as opposed to the good old days when he ran at least 5 go routes per game :noidea:

Nice dig at how AB got open last season
Curious. How exactly is Brown getting open this year?

TRH
11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Wallace is going to start saying all the right things to media (at least mostly, if he's smart) at this point.
You can bet your a** his agent is coaching him to say all the right things at this point so expect a lot of "I'm just trying to be a team guy....", "i just want to help the team win games...", etc, etc, etc.

LVSteelersfan
11-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Wallace will be reunited with Bruce Arians next year. Andrew Luck to Wallace all game long. Just wait and see.

ChristianKustomz
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Can I get an AMEN! I personally will be glad to see him gone off Pittsburgh. We need someone who can actually catch the ball.

Edman
11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm not really surprised.

Mike Wallace is worse than mediocre, he's useless. The Offense needs a spark and he cowers away like a little bug like he always does. Even Sanders has more nuts than this guy. When we need something, he's nowhere to be found or screwing up.

Young Money Crew? More like like Young Money Twins (Brown and Sanders) and Chump Change (Wallace).

Edman
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Just as I say that, he makes a big play. Nice catch and run.

Come on, Wallace. We need you to do that more often in big games.

harrison'samonster
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I think tonight I learned that Mike Wallace is faster than fast.

Hawaii 5-0
11-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Mike Wallace adjusts his game on the fly

By Jamison Hensley | Nov 10, 2012

When wide receiver Mike Wallace ended his offseason holdout and reported to the Steelers 12 days before the season opener, he returned to a new offense, new role and a new challenge.

He was no longer the wide receiver whom coach Mike Tomlin had described as a "one-trick pony" whose game relied on beating defenders on deep routes. In Todd Haley's new offense, which focuses on safer and shorter routes, Wallace has had to adjust in order to retain a big role. It was a change based on survival -- and not necessarily by choice.

The Steelers might have lost at the New York Giants if not for the new Wallace. Pittsburgh trailed by 10 points early in last Sunday's fourth quarter when Wallace made a key adjustment in what has been year filled with them. The Giants, who had blitzed only three times in the first three quarters, decided to send six defenders on third-and-5. Wallace and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger both identified the blitz and changed the route to a quick slant at the line of scrimmage.

Catching the ball five yards downfield, Wallace broke across the field and kicked into a gear that not many players have. His speed allowed him to outrun four Giants players even though they took the right angle to get to him. That 51-yard touchdown was the turning point in the win and may become the turning point in Wallace's season.

"Iím kind of understanding my role in the offense, itís not just to go deep anymore, (itís) kind of short, and itís just learning to accept that,Ē Wallace said after the win in New York. ďMy history and being the kind of player I am, I like deep plays. But Iíve got to continue staying in the game and, like I said, catch a short one and make it long. Thatís going to be my focus for the rest of the year.Ē

Wallace's inability to alter his game last season, when defenses played Cover 2 against him, was one of the reasons he faded at the end of 2011. To his credit, he remains the Steelers' leading receiver in this new style of offense.

He's on pace to set career marks in receptions and touchdowns, and he's close to matching his yards from last season. The only dropoff in Wallace's game has been his yards-per-catch average, which has fallen from a career mark of 18.7 yards to 13.5 yards this season. He's also had some problems dropping passes this season as well.

Defenses, though, continue to fear Wallace. His nine touchdowns of 50-plus yards is the third-most in the NFL since 2009. Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle) is not expected to play Monday night against visiting Kansas City, so the Chiefs' priority on pass defense will be containing Wallace and his speed.

"He's a blur," Kansas City coach Romeo Crennel said. "That's how fast he is. He's really fast and makes it difficult to defend him because he has that kind of speed."

Crennel added, "You've got to stay back, or either he runs past you, and when you stay back, then he stops and hooks it up in front of you and then it's a catch-and-run. You're kind of between a rock and a hard place when you're trying to defend that kind of speed."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=58693&wjb