PDA

View Full Version : Giants' defense

maddog78
10-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Clearly a product of their front four. They're giving up yards (24th) in bunches, but just ahead of us in PPG (20.1 vs 20.6).

Where they are clearly better is at splash plays. 21 sacks, 16 INT, 8 fumble recoveries. That's remarkable.

Big game for Ben and our OL, Haley as well. Their pass rush can control the game if we let it.

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 12:12 PM
they look beatable if you can keep their front 4 in check, but that's a tall order. if we can do that I like our chances, if not, well, it'll be a long day

Vis
10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
No match for dink and dunk nation

GoFor7
10-30-2012, 12:19 PM
they look beatable if you can keep their front 4 in check, but that's a tall order. if we can do that I like our chances, if not, well, it'll be a long day

Hasn't the Giants front four been somewhat inconsistent this season?

steelfury02
10-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Slow the game down and keep Ben and the football protected at all costs

This is no time to start forcing it down the field IMO.

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 12:26 PM

they are still the strong point of their defense, and their best shot of shutting our offense down. The giants d-line I've seen in the past was able to take over games if you don't stop them.

one concern is the health of our running backs, dwyer strained his quad last week and is going to be limited in practice until thursday. don't know when mendenhall or red are coming back either.

SteelKid212
10-30-2012, 12:32 PM
i predict a heavy dose of running up the middle, to stay away from their Ends.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 02:01 PM

SOOOOO glad Haley and not Arians is calling this game. We still may get beat, but I trust we will have a sound game plan. This could have set up to be one of those games like Philly or SF where Ben was a piñata.

I could see us getting a couple early scores and forcing a Manning INT. He's thrown some this year and despite all the accolades, he's not really lighting it up.

I have a sneaky good feeling about this one.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
No match for dink and dunk nation

Seeing as the Giants have beat the master of the dink and dunk twice in Superbowls, I am not as confident. On the other hand, they have not faced a QB like Ben who can extend plays and this may be the game we unleash more down field passes.

Edman
10-30-2012, 04:25 PM
The Giants beat Brady because they were able to pressure him, not because they took away dink and dunk. As we all know, Brady is a statue, and NEEDS feet planted, clean pocket for 4-6 seconds to work at his best. The Giants never let him get a clean pocket nor let him get comfortable. A QB like Brady is one the Giants Defense eats up for lunch.

If the Giants ever approach Ben the way they do Brady, they're gonna run into problems.

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
The Giants beat Brady because they were able to pressure him, not because they took away dink and dunk. As we all know, Brady is a statue, and NEEDS feet planted, clean pocket for 4-6 seconds to work at his best. The Giants never let him get a clean pocket nor let him get comfortable. A QB like Brady is one the Giants Defense eats up for lunch.

If the Giants ever approach Ben the way they do Brady, they're gonna run into problems.

true. 2 totally different play styles imo

pete74
10-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Yes but not to the extent of our defensive line. There defense shuts teams down when they have to but play poor when the win isn't essential. With that said the Giants pulled away in there division and a lose definitely wont be the end of the world. I say we beat them in a high scoring game. i see Ben getting 3 or 4 touchdowns

torpedoshell31
10-30-2012, 05:55 PM
When you look at the schedule at the beginning of the year and see at the NY Giants, you mark it down as a loss. On the other hand you look at games against Oakland and Tennesee and count them as wins. If the Steelers can go into NY and beat the Giants and come out 5-3 at the half way mark of the season they will be right where they should be.

JPPis4Real
10-30-2012, 05:57 PM
As is common knowledge by now, our defense is centered on our defensive line.

They haven't been as dominating this year so far as they have been in past seasons but that doesn't mean they can't terrorize QBs and offenses if you let them. They're still as good as it gets talent-wise.

Jason Pierre Paul happens to be the guy that gets the most attention from offensive lines and rightfully so considering he's by far our most impactful player on D but our interior lineman, Linval Joseph is arguably the most underrated guy on our defense, he's a pocket-collapser.

Our secondary can definitely be had unfortunately. What scares me about facing you guys is the type of QB Big Ben is and the receiving corps he has. A big, strong mobile QB who is the king at extending plays with speedy receivers doesn't exactly make me feel comfortable.

Our defense gives up yards in bunches (more of a bend-don't-break type D) but they make up for it w/ takeaways. We lead the league in that category.

WVABE
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
We need a 35 point lead going into the 4th quarter so we can win by a TD.

I'm just glad Manny is getting better and more comfortable as the year goes on.

Giants D will have trouble covering him, likewise, Steelers & Cruz.

Edman
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
The Giants D was never one to keep teams off the scoreboard, but like people have said, their Defensive Fronts are easily among the best in the league, especially at rushing the passer.

What's great about them is that there is always one player who steps up when one player gets injured, leaves, or retires. JPP exploded on the scene last season, and no one expected it. That D-Line never misses a beat.

The Steelers O-Line has underwent massive improvement this season, but this is their toughest challenge yet. The Giants Front is one to be feared. The only thing that gives a slight bit of confidence is that Big Ben presents a unique challenge for the Giants, forcing them into a mind game. The Giants live on pressuring the QB, do they tee off on Ben and risk letting him break loose, or back off so he can pick them apart? 2012 Ben Roethlisberger has taken his game to a totally new level. He's no longer just a sandlot guy with a sandlot coordinator(Arians), he's added an extra dimension to his game that makes him even more dangerous.

Eli won't have much trouble beating the Steelers D. Our D isn't as dominant as it used to and has plenty of holes. Don't be fooled by their performance against Washington, Redskin receivers dropped a ton of passes Sunday.

I don't know where this game is going to go. I think the Giants will win in a close one.

Fire Haley
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Giants to start 2nd year MLB against Steelers

New York Giants’ Mark Herzlich Expected to Start on Sunday Against Pittsburgh Steelers

With Chase Blackburn likely sidelined with a hamstring injury, the future is now for the New York Giants. The USA Today reports that Mark Herzlich is expected to start at middle linebacker for Big Blue on Sunday when they face off against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Granted, this is a little sooner than the Giants would have liked Herzlich to start, but injuries have a way of forcing things into motion. As they say in New York, "next man up!"

Herzlich will be filling a very important role for the Giants on Sunday, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. They may opt to have Michael Boley controlling the communications as opposed to Herzlich, who has played primarily on Special Teams this season.

So far this season, Herzlich has seven tackles with the majority of those coming on Special Teams.

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/31/new-york-giants-mark-herzlich-expected-to-start-on-sunday-against-pittsburgh-steelers/

-----------------------

eat him up Heath

OX1947
10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
If pats had inserted big ben in sb 42 and 46, pats would be at 5 super bowls.

jb500ex
10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
i predict a heavy dose of running up the middle, to stay away from their Ends.

thats the completely wrong way to approach them. you want to attack their ends they crash down hard and are better at coming down then straight on

Fire Arians
10-31-2012, 06:53 PM
If pats had inserted big ben in sb 42 and 46, pats would be at 5 super bowls.

probably not, having ben and brady on the same team, i'd hate to see what their cap situation would be like. they'd be able to pay everyone else the league minimum at most, so they'd most likely go 0-16 :chuckle:

NSMaster56
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Good stats, OP.

Good points about style clashes, too, all.

Should be a good game. PIT should manage to 'get theirs' in the air, both yardage and PTS-wise. Hard to see less than at least 23 on the board (barring turnovers or major crap-the-bed performances).

Like others said though, the Giants O is lethal in their own right. It's going to be tough to contain Eli for four quarters. Maybe he has one of his trademark, due to happen every 4-5 weeks, 'bad games', but it still feels like the G-Men will hang at least 20 on the Steelers (due to injuries, style clash and/or PIT's 4th Q D woes).

Worst case scenario, this may be another Denver-like loss, where the Steelers look like they lose by a margin worse than what was the truth.

BlueStorm
10-31-2012, 08:38 PM
One thing in the giants favor is Ben tends to extend plays within the pocket the Giants line has struggled this year when the QB breaks contain within the pocket. Ben is going to have multiple company all game. The Giants don,t struggle collapsing .

UOTE=Edman;1042702]The Giants D was never one to keep teams off the scoreboard, but like people have said, their Defensive Fronts are easily among the best in the league, especially at rushing the passer.

What's great about them is that there is always one player who steps up when one player gets injured, leaves, or retires. JPP exploded on the scene last season, and no one expected it. That D-Line never misses a beat.

The Steelers O-Line has underwent massive improvement this season, but this is their toughest challenge yet. The Giants Front is one to be feared. The only thing that gives a slight bit of confidence is that Big Ben presents a unique challenge for the Giants, forcing them into a mind game. The Giants live on pressuring the QB, do they tee off on Ben and risk letting him break loose, or back off so he can pick them apart? 2012 Ben Roethlisberger has taken his game to a totally new level. He's no longer just a sandlot guy with a sandlot coordinator(Arians), he's added an extra dimension to his game that makes him even more dangerous.

Eli won't have much trouble beating the Steelers D. Our D isn't as dominant as it used to and has plenty of holes. Don't be fooled by their performance against Washington, Redskin receivers dropped a ton of passes Sunday.

I don't know where this game is going to go. I think the Giants will win in a close one.[/QUOTE]

NyGiantz
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Ben's ability to keep plays alive and make something out of nothing could give us alot of trouble. I haven't seen too much of the Steelers offensive line but it doesn't seem like they have been having the trouble they had for the last few years in protecting Ben so it might be a tough hill for us but we do have the defensive front four of ours can also give Ben some problems, interesting matchup for sure and probably where the game will be decided.