PDA

View Full Version : T.O.P.

steelerchad
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
We're 2nd in time of possession to only the Houston Texans. The Texans have attempted more runs than anyone in the league. We're 19th in rushing attempts and have only found any type of running game in the last 2 games.

#1 in picking up 3rd downs.

I like this short pass, control the ball passing offense. This is what N.E. has done to teams in the past and if your defense is on the other side of that it gets really frustrating.

With the speed we have at wide out, I think we're going to start hitting some big shots down the field soon to mix in with this short passing game and new found running game.

Our offense is now what we've always wanted. The kind that can win in a track meet or grind out a win with a lead if needed.

Now if we just had the 2008 defense, we'd be set.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry nothing new here, we led league in TOP last year under bone head Arians.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
They still need to score more points. You need to put up 30 or more in today's league to win consistently.

In this new age of Goodellball, you won't see many low scoring, defensive ballgames anymore. Most of them will be the 51 - 44 variety.

Definitely happier with our offense than I have been since 2005, but they are still a work in progress. I think getting DeCastro and Gilbert back will make a big difference.

This Steelers team is looking more and more like they could be the team nobody wants to play come December/January.

harrison'samonster
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
one huge difference between this offense and the one under BA, we score touchdowns when we get into the redzone. That's at least the way it seems to me.

That's been huge. If you can control the clock and come away with 7, the offense is doing great.

maddog78
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
They still need to score more points. You need to put up 30 or more in today's league to win consistently.

Only NE and Houston currently average 30 or more.

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
one huge difference between this offense and the one under BA, we score touchdowns when we get into the redzone. That's at least the way it seems to me.

That's been huge. If you can control the clock and come away with 7, the offense is doing great.

Our scoring avg this year at this point of the season is 20.57 pts per game, last year it was 20.31 PPG, not a significant difference. The biggest improvement I see is the Sack total is down, turnovers are down, more weapons are being used, and Ben is hit less after the play. It is not even the half way point yet but I have seen improvement since game one and if it continues this unit could be dangerous.

tony hipchest
10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Our scoring avg this year at this point of the season is 20.57 pts per game, last year it was 20.31 PPG, not a significant difference. .

more like 23.9 points a game which is a significance difference. everybody seems to forget we have had a by week and are dividing a total of 8 weeks into our point total of 167 to come up with this false 20 ppg number.

another nice stat is while we led the league in TOP las year, we wre holding the bal almost 2 minutes longer this year, so while we have droped in ranking we have actually improved.

pete74
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Good catch tony. I was thinking about that because it didnt sound riggt

Ricco Suavez
10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
more like 23.9 points a game which is a significance difference. everybody seems to forget we have had a by week and are dividing a total of 8 weeks into our point total of 167 to come up with this false 20 ppg number.

another nice stat is while we led the league in TOP las year, we wre holding the bal almost 2 minutes longer this year, so while we have droped in ranking we have actually improved.

My Bad Tony looked at points allowed instead of points scored. Either way I see improvement with this unit and expect them to get better baring any injuries.

steelerchad
10-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry nothing new here, we led league in TOP last year under bone head Arians.

No. They were 2nd last year as well. And they are averaging over 2 minutes more per game so far.

wera176
10-30-2012, 08:53 PM
My favorite part of this offense is that I don't spend half the game (or more) screaming "WHAT THE H$LL ARE YOU GUYS DOING BRUCE?!?!?"

The drives usually stall because someone drops a ball or someone on the other defense makes a play (they're paid to do that too) rather than boneheaded situational play calling.

btaylor179
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
looking good past couple weeks......real test this week

SteelKid212
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
This team's play as a whole unit has only improved significantly up until 2 weeks ago.
Regardless of the current team stats, I will hold off all speculation until this weekend.

If this team looses vs the G-MEN I can hear the fans already, 'the sky is falling! we're 4-4! looks like an 8-8 season! we cant beat tough teams! were soft! todd haley sucks! mike tomlin sucks! lebeau has to go!"

If we win, We'll be sittin pretty at 5-3, with a 3 game win streak under our belt and only then will I be reaaally optomistic for the remainder of the season. But right now, I'm not completely sold. :noidea:

steelfury02
10-31-2012, 09:28 AM
cautiously optimistic - it is too bad we couldn't have won one of the Raiders or Titans game, because while every game is important, we could have then just dropped to 5-3 leading up to home game v. Bmore

Ricco Suavez
10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
No. They were 2nd last year as well. And they are averaging over 2 minutes more per game so far.

Sorry but we led the league last year and Houston was 2nd, it is reversed this year so far. BTW we were 3rd in 2010. Go to teamrankings.com nfl stats.

steelerchad
11-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Sorry but we led the league last year and Houston was 2nd, it is reversed this year so far. BTW we were 3rd in 2010. Go to teamrankings.com nfl stats.

Sorry, but I used the official NFL.com stats instead of a fantasy football site.

Regardless, the top 2 teams from 2011 are still the top 2 for 2012, but both have picked it up considerably and distanced themselves from the rest of the pack.

1 Houston Texans 32:40:00
2 Pittsburgh Steelers 32:33:00
3 San Diego Chargers 32:27:00
4 Atlanta Falcons 32:18:00
5 San Francisco 49ers 32:08:00

1 Houston Texans 35:23:00
2 Pittsburgh Steelers 34:35:00
3 Kansas City Chiefs 32:48:00
4 Dallas Cowboys 32:31:00
5 San Diego Chargers 32:25:00