PDA

View Full Version : This years steelers better than the 2010 steelers?

BlaZeQuietly
10-30-2012, 11:41 PM
From what we have witnessed so far do you think this team is better than the one who lost to the packers in the superbowl? I don't think theres any doubt we are better than last years team, but record aside, are we better than the 2010 team who lost to green bay in the SB?

I think so heres why:
1. Ben is protected
2. Receivers a bit older with a bit more experience (minus ward)
3 Deeper at the running back position once mendes back (looks like we might not even need him)
4. Haleys style of play call

The only thing I can't say is't much better is our defense overall, its about the same.

Fire Arians
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
too early to tell, if we can start beating decent teams on the road then perhaps.

so far I'd say:
- offense is better
- defense is worse
- special teams COULD be better if we stop beating ourselves

questions:
- can we win on the road
- can we stop getting penalized on ST
- will our o-line stay healthy this year
- will we have troy back? will harrison and woodley stay healthy?

Edman
10-31-2012, 12:12 AM
So far, we can judge it yet.

The 2010 Team could win on the road consistently, we don't know if this team could. Though to be fair, the 2010 Team was a Steve Johnson drop away from laying an Oakland-styled egg in Buffalo.

I'll say this for sure, If the 2010 team had this 2012 Offense, we'd be thinking about Ring #8 instead of still searching for #7. The 2012 Offense (O-Line Included) is head and shoulders above all of the Steelers Offenses over the past 5-6 years.

SteelersCanada
10-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I'll say this for sure, If the 2010 team had this 2012 Offense, we'd be thinking about Ring #8 instead of still searching for #7.

Yup. This offense is definitely better than the 2010 team. I think it's a little early to make a definitive decision on the defense. Injuries have decimated this team, especially on defense, and adjustments have had to be made.

When Troy gets healthy and we get our actual starters back, we can make a judgment call on the defense. Until then, it's a little bit early to make a call one way or the other.

Fire Arians
10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
The 2010 Team could win on the road consistently, we don't know if this team could. Though to be fair, the 2010 Team was a Steve Johnson drop away from laying an Oakland-styled egg in Buffalo.

true, i remember that game and remember telling a friend (a buffalo fan) that they really should have won that game. the wr got hit right in the hands on a perfectly thrown ball and he just dropped what would have been the game winner

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2012, 06:17 AM
The offense is better but the defense simply cannot generate turnovers

The 3 biggest wins of 2010 were keyed off Troy's strip of Flacco in Baltimore, the blizzard of turnovers when Baltimore imploded in the second half of teh AFC playoffs, and the fumble return at the end of the first half of the Jets AFC championship game that provided the margin of victory - getting the ball without having to drive 60 to 80 yards for a TD might turn some of those FG drives this season into TDs

Steelers victories so far are over trash teams - let's see where they are after playing the Giants and Baltimore on the road

The 2010 team went 12-4, which I certainly do not see this year - so at this point the 2010 team was better

maddog78
10-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Offense is better, defense not, ST not. This is our worst front seven in over a decade, partly because of injury, partly because of age, partly because of young replacements that aren't as good as we hoped.

Blitzberg06
10-31-2012, 07:11 AM
No.

teegre
10-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Offense hasn't even peaked yet. I foresee a juggernaut, who scores 34 per game. No sacks. Better on third downs. 3 points more per game already (and, as I stated, it's only going to get better... much better).

The defense is not nearly as good, but it's good enough. It seems that just about EVERY team has an average defense and/or if they have a good defense, they are lacking in other major areas (SF, SEA, & ARIZ have great defenses, but they don't have a game-deciding QB). So, while this PITT defense is inferior to PITT's 2010 defense, I contend that every other team has dropped off as well... (but, at least PITT has BB).

Special teams could be the decider. While the defense isn't producing turnovers (neither did the 2010 team, right?), the spark in field position "could" come via special teams. If not for dumb (away from the play) penalties, the Steelers could be starting at least one drive per game at the 45, as opposed to at the 15.

Summation:
Actually... as a whole... Yes.

Bayz101
10-31-2012, 08:30 AM
It's too early to really answer your question, but I do think we have what it takes to BE better than we we're in 2010. Just need to win on the road, and beat tough teams in general. We started out slow, and it seems like we're heating up a little bit. If we're hitting our stride in the final weeks, look out.

Lokki
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM
too early to tell, if we can start beating decent teams on the road then perhaps.

so far I'd say:
- offense is better
- defense is worse
- special teams COULD be better if we stop beating ourselves

This right here. I like the change to our Offense, however, I would love to have the old Steelers D back.

SteelKid212
10-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Not yet...

steelfury02
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
The same. Winning on the road is important, but winning on the road twice while heading pretty far out west is a big task for any team (Oak and Denver)

What many people don't talk enough about is the XL squad during the regular season. It is easy to look back now and say they were battle tested - but in that season, they had to go out to Green Bay, Houston, and San Diego - and won all 3.

Who knows how their road experiences for the rest of the season will test them - where the farthest they will travel now is @ Dallas. We all hope by the end of the season they might have done enough to avoid going to Denver - where I think one Peyton Manning has a HUGE home field advantage. We might all look back at that first game as having huge implications for the AFC representative in the Super Bowl.

truesteelerfan
10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I love that we're having this conversation about our team being potentially as good as a team that lost the SB, but with a better O - when just 2 weeks ago, so many people were saying we're done - finished 6-10 etc....

My thoughts, yes O way better minus Ariens, ST need to be fixed - D not as good, BUT look at last year's playoff teams, no great D and still won games. If our O can score more than our D allows, we have great potential!

Go Steelers!!!!

StainlessStill
10-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but something is brewing for this team. I think our destiny will work in reverse compared to last season. Instead of dealing with injuries late in the year that undoubtedly ruined a Lombardi run, I feel we will get healthy at the right time and be a force if and when we qualify for a playoff position.

Come December, nobody would want to step foot in front of us. NOBODY.

Bayz101
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but something is brewing for this team. I think our destiny will work in reverse compared to last season. Instead of dealing with injuries late in the year that undoubtedly ruined a Lombardi run, I feel we will get healthy at the right time and be a force if and when we qualify for a playoff position.

Come December, nobody would want to step foot in front of us. NOBODY.

This. We started off slow, and now we're clicking a little bit and on a two game win streak. I think we're going to get hot next month and be a force in the playoffs, granted we make them.

OX1947
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
The offense wasn't the issue in Super Bowl 45. Our defense couldn't stop the Packers.

teegre
10-31-2012, 02:12 PM
The offense wasn't the issue in Super Bowl 45. Our defense couldn't stop the Packers.

Eh... to a degree.

Droppy Mendenspin's fumble. BB's pick six... plus another pick. Wallace dropping a TD. And, the team not looking organized and/or shopoting themselves in the foot on the final drive.

StainlessStill
10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Excuse me while I attempt to diarrhea all in my own mouth. That's what I literally feel like doing everytime I think of Mendy's fumble. We had them boys.

Rick5895
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Ahhh, no. 2010 went to the superbowl so unless this team does the same and wins it we arena better.
I do find this thread amusing. Wasn't it after the Titans game a lot of people on these forums declared our season over.

Atlanta Dan
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
I love that we're having this conversation about our team being potentially as good as a team that lost the SB, but with a better O - when just 2 weeks ago, so many people were saying we're done - finished 6-10 etc....

Go Steelers!!!!

The media had some splaining to do after RGIII was going to be inducted into Canton before Thanksgiving and then put up 12 points in Pittsburgh - so it is not only his receivers to blame but that the Steelers suddenly are great

If the Steelers lose by more than 7 to the Giants the media will have them back in the dumpster

nikstar
10-31-2012, 06:52 PM
The media had some splaining to do after RGIII was going to be inducted into Canton before Thanksgiving and then put up 12 points in Pittsburgh - so it is not only his receivers to blame but that the Steelers suddenly are great

If the Steelers lose by more than 7 to the Giants the media will have them back in the dumpster

Deservedly so. If the Steelers can't atleast put up a good fight against the Giants they are just another 4-4 team looking up at their division leader hoping for a wildcard spot. I agree with the previous posters saying that the only way this team has a chance is a late season winning spurt, coupled with getting our injured players back, not taking anymore serious injuries and stepping it up in the playoffs.

BlaZeQuietly
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I agree a steeler victory on the road against the giants would put them up in the top 5, I'm really liking Haley's playbook, I'm glad im not constantly hearing "oh no! is ben okay!?.... nows hes sprinting down the field with a horrible limp! and down he goes again!". Taking the pressure off big beg has unleashed the most dominating powerful unbeatable iron bowling ball of inertia heading for the bowling pins (giants, ravens, etc.)

Fire Arians
10-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Excuse me while I attempt to diarrhea all in my own mouth. That's what I literally feel like doing everytime I think of Mendy's fumble. We had them boys.

that's more david johnson's fault than anything, mendy barely had time to take the exchange before he was hit. most rb's would fumble in that case

steelfury02
11-01-2012, 08:47 AM
"David Johnson as 'The Blocker.' And David Johnson is going to find out, that being a Blocker is harder than it looks. David Johnson Derp de derp de tweetely toe."

StainlessStill
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
that's more david johnson's fault than anything, mendy barely had time to take the exchange before he was hit. most rb's would fumble in that case

Yep. Not blaming that on Mendy whatsoever. Legs pulled pathetically too and whiffed on either Raji or Matthews I believe, not sure since I never could watch that play more than twice. We were goin in for the lead if one of those 2 defenders were atleast nudged or chipped.

LayingTheWoodley56
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
From what we have witnessed so far do you think this team is better than the one who lost to the packers in the superbowl? I don't think theres any doubt we are better than last years team, but record aside, are we better than the 2010 team who lost to green bay in the SB?

I think so heres why:
1. Ben is protected
2. Receivers a bit older with a bit more experience (minus ward)
3 Deeper at the running back position once mendes back (looks like we might not even need him)
4. Haleys style of play call

The only thing I can't say is't much better is our defense overall, its about the same.

I'm sorry, but there is no way this defense has proven itself as being even close to as good as the 2010 defense was. Troy was the defensive POY that year, and he's missed all but one game this year. The 2010 rush defense allowed just 62.8 YPG, good for third in NFL HISTORY and a Steelers franchise record. There is no comparison on the defensive side of the ball.

I would argue that this year's offense is on its way to trumping the '10 offense, in all of the ways you listed. Now let's hope this year's squad can get to the same place as 2010's and do them one better.

LayingTheWoodley56
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
And wasn't the wide majority of this board losing their minds over this team's performance as recently as 2 weeks ago? I wasn't one of them (we lost three games we could have easily won by a combined 18 points, and the Denver game was a lot closer than 31-19 may indicate), but for people to now being saying that this year's team is better than one that was a drive away from winning a Super Bowl is a pretty shocking 180. Don't get me wrong, because I think this year's team has that potential in spite of a somewhat sluggish start - don't forget last year's Giants were 7-7 at one point. We are getting hot at the right time and I think we're going to be set up at 6-3 going into a huge matchup with the Ratbirds.

harrison'samonster
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I think they have potential to be better. Offense is a lot better, but we'll have to see if this Defense can improve and bring it together. A healthy Troy, Clark, Harrison, and Woodley playing together by the end of the season would be nice.

lardlad
11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Not going to vote because I am not sure. One thing we are really missing is big plays from our D. If they get their hands on the ball more often or get offenses going backward. The D was so good then, and now the O is much better. It's a close one. More big plays on D and we get to the play offs.

What happens when Ben fully buys into this offense? They will be air tight.

Edman
11-04-2012, 01:15 AM

The Offense also rewarded Green Bay with 7 on a pick-six and committed three turnovers, all of which were turned into Green Bay touchdowns.

The Offense wasn't the reason the 2010 team didn't win it all, but it wasn't championship-caliber either. The 2010 Steelers were carried to the Super Bowl on the back of the Defense, just like two years earlier.

The 2010 Offense, like all of it's ilk under Arians, was mediocre at best. The O-Line was subpar as usual, with then-rookie Pouncey being the lone bright spot.