PDA

View Full Version : Omar Struggles

Lyn
08-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Omar struggling to grasp the offense, we may go with Boyd instead.

http://steelers.scout.com/2/554146.html

Although personally I think Omar, having come from shotgun offense at Bowling Green, was always considered to be somewhat of a project. Time will tell, but the tone of the article suggests that Boyd isn't having the same struggles.

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm not exactly sure who expected him to not struggle coming in as a rookie QB fighting for the third spot. If I recall correctly Shane Boyd's QB rating in Europe wasn't exactly eye popping. I don't see the Steelers cutting a guy with the potential Jacob's has shown in college for Shane Boyd.

On another note we have this article pertaining to Jacobs stating the complete opposite: http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/5852138

"I wrote that Omar Jacobs had issues with putting touch on his passes during the Wednesday workout. There was certainly no issue with his arm strength for any of the required throws. On Thursday, he married touch with accuracy and strength with several beautiful tosses of 35 or more yards. Between Jacbos and former NFL Europe star Shane Boyd, the Steelers have two players very capable of helping the team in game preparation. Both Jacobs and Boyd have solid arm strength and the wheels to mimic the running quarterbacks on the schedule (Pittsburgh will see Atlanta this year)."

Tangent
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=83-Steelers-43]I don't see the Steelers cutting a guy with the potential Jacob's has shown in college for Shane Boyd. [QUOTE]

That's also what I was thinking. Sure he's not picking up the offense right away, but he could be quite dangerous if he can grasp it eventually. If something were to happen with Jacobs, I wouldn't expect to see him go until the second round of cuts. That would give Cower plenty of time to realize that Omar just can't pick up the offense.

ARKIESTEEL
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Watching Savern on sports last night ( I get it on direct tv ) they interveiwed Omar and he seemed pretty sharp to me and ever one seemed pleased with him

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
That's also what I was thinking. Sure he's not picking up the offense right away, but he could be quite dangerous if he can grasp it eventually. If something were to happen with Jacobs, I wouldn't expect to see him go until the second round of cuts. That would give Cower plenty of time to realize that Omar just can't pick up the offense.

Keep him on the roster and slowly groom him into your future #2 in which I feel he is perfectly capable of becoming over time. Very unrealistic for anybody to think that this kid can step right in and take the #2 job and learn the play book after one week of practice. Like I said though, I don't see Jacobs getting cut in favor of Shane Boyd.

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Watching Savern on sports last night ( I get it on direct tv ) they interveiwed Omar and he seemed pretty sharp to me and ever one seemed pleased with him

Watched the same interview. Stan never mentioned anything pertaining to Omar's supposed struggles. He seems to have his head on straight but also had no problem admitting that learning this offense is no easy task nor should it be for a rookie. This kid is fighting for the number three spot, he's not expected to take Ben's job or Charlie's (not yet anyways). It takes time.

CantStop85
08-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Go Shane Boyd!

dhosmer
08-08-2006, 11:56 AM
i'm dhosmer and i'm addicted to omar.

TasmanianTroy271
08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Yea, I don't buy this crap about them cutting Omar in favor of Shane Boyd, especially when everything i've been reading about camp says that Omar has been doing excellant with throwing and all Shane's been doing is showing off his mobility.

SteelCityMan786
08-08-2006, 12:53 PM
sometimes it takes rookies awhile. I don't expect all rookies to be like Big Ben in their rookie season.

19ward86
08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
i wonder what would of happened if omar would of had a senior season that compared to his junior season. just looking at his stats shows me that he is able to put up huge numbers and complete passes which that is above average of most backup qbs.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Go Shane Boyd!

What do you know about him? I can't see them cutting Omar.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Omar struggling to grasp the offense, we may go with Boyd instead.

http://steelers.scout.com/2/554146.html

Although personally I think Omar, having come from shotgun offense at Bowling Green, was always considered to be somewhat of a project. Time will tell, but the tone of the article suggests that Boyd isn't having the same struggles.

Ben came from a shotgun offense at Miami of Ohio also. That was also a concern about Ben before the 2004 draft.

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
What do you know about him? I can't see them cutting Omar.

My guess........since Boyd attended Kentucky and Cantstop85 is from that "beautiful" state of Kentucky.

Stlrs4Life
08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
He still has 4 pre season games to prove himself. I wouldn't give up on him yet.