PDA

View Full Version : SteelersFever Editorial: The Willie Parker Effect: Jonathan Dwyers Opportunity

StainlessStill
11-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Enjoy my Steelers brotherin's (and sisterin's):tt04:

Thursday, November 1st, 2012
By Travis Boariu
Steelers Fever Columnist

In 2010, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected RB Jonathan Dwyer, property of Georgia Tech with the 188th overall selection within the 6th round of the NFL Draft. Many who watched Dwyer's days as a Yellow Jacket steam-rolling defense's immediately chalked up the selection as a draft day "steal" for the Steelers.

Throughout Pittsburgh's history as a football franchise, they owned the mentality of being a pound it out, physical running team in the confides of the trench's between the tackles. Having a bruiser like Dwyer dropping down the charts coincided perfectly in how the Steelers do business in April; drafting value in the later rounds hoping the player selected fits their criteria years later down the road once the grooming process was complete.

READ MORE: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1020.html

Bayz101
11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Excellent write up, Travis! Thanks as always.

Hawaii 5-0
11-01-2012, 07:29 PM
and congratulations on your 2500th post and becoming a "Team Owner" with that nice write-up! :thumbsup: :drink:

EbonySteel86
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM
You HAVE to put 8 in the box when this guy gets going! I love it. In the words of The Bus.....SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL BABY....PITTSBURGH STYLE!

tony hipchest
11-01-2012, 08:46 PM
well done!

i like these fan write ups because they are very in depth and do much more than just scratch the surface of a subject.

over time, alot of media hacks will tend to dumb subjects down and just gloss over the surface.

StainlessStill
11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
When I see this guy use the stiff-arm to no avail I literally jump out of my seat and look for the Bus-Tracks the dude left behind. I love Dwyer's style in every way shape and form. Dude is a tank and runs angry. If Mendenhall can't stay healthy, Dwyer's our man.

steelfury02
11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Fantastic piece - really excited about his potential and what it could mean to this team's success

You think in the day of instant gratification that a chunk of these "journalists" are going to spend that much time research? No way - someone just tweeted them that the "the Steelers don't have a hotel now they're gonna lose da derp."

BlaZeQuietly
11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
When I see this guy use the stiff-arm to no avail I literally jump out of my seat and look for the Bus-Tracks the dude left behind. I love Dwyer's style in every way shape and form. Dude is a tank and runs angry. If Mendenhall can't stay healthy, Dwyer's our man.

why is it when I say them I get flamed but when someone else does theyre a GENIUS:noidea:

Darkstorm05
11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
why is it when I say them I get flamed but when someone else does theyre a GENIUS:noidea:

One can appreciate someone taking the time to write a well thought out article, even if they don't agree with their take on the topic. Also, Dwyer is out, so it's now irrelevant.

StainlessStill
11-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about these injuries. I actually started on this article the beginning of the week but the site was experiencing problems with getting editorials up so I had to wait until weeks end. Eager to see how this all takes place, especially if Redman has a good game in N.Y.

The plot thickens, huh?

steeltheone
11-03-2012, 03:01 PM
It just amazes me that Dwyer in his 3rd year, only has 83 carries 450 yards and NO touchdowns in those 3 years,and people compare him to a HOF runner like Bettis. Really?

StainlessStill
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
You obviously don't have to put two and two together to know that people don't compare Bettis and Dwyer to their numbers (that's a pretty laughable and unfair comparison.) What IS comparable is their running styles. Being short, stalky and low to the ground who look to run through you with good, quick feet for the big men they represent. That's the comparison. Nothing else and nothing more.

Lets just make it clear that there probably won't be another Jerome Bettis ever in this league again. Judging by life AFTER Bettis for the Steelers, Dwyer comes the closest in style TO compare. That's how I look at it.