PDA

View Full Version : Wallace wants to go deep more

BlaZeQuietly
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
found this on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088965/article/mike-wallace-adjusting-to-pittsburgh-steelers-offense

why so he can drop more important passes?

Fire Arians
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
he's a 1 trick pony that misses doing his trick

Twentyvalve
11-02-2012, 05:43 PM
No way. It ain't his fault he is fast. Imagine being TE who can catch really well then being asking to block constantly and not be an option for receptions. Said TE asks to be thrown to more - is there a problem with that?

Wallace's asset is his speed, he wants to use it. I don't see a problem with that. No matter what these guys do somebody rags on them. He wants to run fast and catch the football.

My opinion is that they do need to do throw deep to him more. My guess is Haley is waiting to spring the trap. The "One trick pony" gag is getting old. Not only that, he is a great receiver. He has made some great catches this year. If he did not hold out we would not even be having this conversation.

he's a 1 trick pony that misses doing his trick

Fire Arians
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
he's not great, if he was, another team would have jumped at the chance to give up a 1st rounder for him. they would have jumped at the chance to give him fitzgerald money. fitz is great, wallace isn't.

SteelersCanada
11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
As much as I love Haley's offense, the fact that Wallace isn't going deep is a problem that needs to be fixed. He's arguably the fastest guy in the NFL and we're not using him to his full ability. He's getting the ball 8 - 9 times a game which is great, but he's getting it on underneath crossing routes for 7 yards everytime. Let him go deep and force double coverage, letting Brown and Sanders run free underneath.

I don't understand why he's not going deep. Exploiting a weak Giants secondary with the speed of our WRs is something an advantage we have to pounce on.

Millers the sh!t
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm guessing well stay heavy with the dink and dunk until very late in the season and playoffs until we run the ball heavily and let Wallace turn on the burners.

Atlanta Dan
11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
. Imagine being TE who can catch really well then being asking to block constantly and not be an option for receptions. Said TE asks to be thrown to more - is there a problem with that?.

Sounds like you are describing Heath Miller. :noidea:

Of course Heath has only done what is asked of him for 8 years without saying a word about how playing under Arians offense depressed his stats

There is a problem in saying what a wonderful player you are for doing what is best for the team while complaining about not getting to run your favorite route more often

MasterOfPuppets
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
wallace see's his big fat payday slipping away with every game. less than 450 yards 7 games in. not the kinda numbers that'll get him on GM's speed dial. if he's going to get anything that resembles fitz money he's gonna have to put up stats like he had the first half of last season (700 yds 8 games) to be fresh in GM's minds come free agency time. it doesn't matter how you started that people remember..its how you finished.

FanSince72
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
In order for Wallace to be a deep threat, we first need to make teams believe that we have a genuine running game; something we haven't really had since Wallace has been here.

This season, we did better in the running game but it's been pretty much running by committee which may work in terms of yards but is not a real threat, but with Dwyer beginning to show that he might just be "The Guy" we've been looking for since Bussie retired, that may change.

If Dwyer does indeed prove to be Bettis V2.0 and we really do use him in a Bettis-like way, we THEN will have a legitimate run threat which will force the safeties and the CB's to honor the run and play closer to the box which will THEN allow Wallace to do what he does best.

Having Wallace is great, but without a running game that gains the respect of the competition, it's sort of like having a nice doorknob but no house to go with it.
I think Dwyer can change that and Wallace can start earning his money.

We'll see...

maddog78
11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
i want him to go deep more, too. Look, I think he wants too much money, but that doesn't mean we can't use him to do what he does best.

Darkstorm05
11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
There isn't really much else he could say at this point. Everyone who watches the games knows that Brown is ten times the route runner that Wallace is. With Sanders beginning to emerge, it makes Wallace look even less special. He wants some big splash highlight reel plays to maximize his contract next year.

It wouldn't hurt us to have them, either, so use him while we got him. Eventually our short pass game is going to pull the D in close, then we'll see the bomb to break open the game.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Not only that, he is a great receiver. He has made some great catches this year. If he did not hold out we would not even be having this conversation.

Great receivers don't drop 4 balls that hit him right on the palms of his hands. He left at least 14 points out on the field that day.

I am willing to bet my next few paychecks that Fitz (whom he unfairly compared himself to) would have caught those passes and gotten the points.

The reason why Antonio Brown is a much better receiver is because HE CAN DO IT ALL. He is fast enough to stretch defenses. He is agile enough to turn the hated WR bubble screens into highlight reels. He is one of the best at returning kicks (as long as he keeps running forwards). And his routes are crisp from spending so many hours in the filmroom.

Wallace is still a one-trick pony. He has his speed......and that's it. He's not a particularly good route runner. Drops easy TDs that hit him on the hands. He ran the wrong route in the SB against GB and caused the game-losing interception.

He has a loooooooooong way to go.

mikegrimey
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Can't blame him for wanting to go deep more
He's one of the best deep threats in the entire league

tony hipchest
11-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I am willing to bet my next few paychecks that Fitz (whom he unfairly compared himself to)... .

FALSE

Edman
11-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Of course Wallace wants to go Deep more. That's the only thing he does competently at WR.

Everyone in the Steelers Offense, even the O-Line is playing at a much higher level and setting career-bests under Haley's system, except him. I don't think the Steelers will break a good thing just because Wallace is a One-Trick Pony.

Haley's Offense has forced Wallace to adjust his game, or rather they have exposed his flaws (Average Route Running, Mediocre Technique, Poor mindset) and he hasn't fared well as he used to. Instead of whining to go Deep more, he should be finetuning his craft. This is why I'm not impressed with Mike.

mikegrimey
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
The one trick pony moniker is laughable, he's not Andre Johnson, but Wallace, since his very first game with us, has been doing more than fly routes.

Edman
11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Can't blame him for wanting to go deep more
He's one of the best deep threats in the entire league

Yep, but that's the only thing he does right. Even then, he's not even that good a Deep Threat. Mike Wallace isn't a "Chuck it and he'll catch it" kind of Deep Threat. Mike Wallace loves catching the ball in stride so nobody will catch him, but when there's somebody on him, his effort is questionable and it's an incompletion more often than not.

Edman
11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
The one trick pony moniker is laughable, he's not Andre Johnson, but Wallace, since his very first game with us, has been doing more than fly routes.

Yep, he's also been dropping balls and disappearing when we need him the most.

Mike Wallace's Deep bombs don't scare Defenses anymore, because they know that even if he catches one, he'll do very little else for the rest of the game. Teams aren't losing sleep over having to play Wallace. Antonio Brown is the guy drawing double teams and respect from Defenses.

mikegrimey
11-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Outside of the Sunday night bengals game I can't think of any other time Wallace has been a ball dropper. It was an awful game, but hardly makes him a dropper. As for disappearing... Not entirely sure what that means, but I by no means think Wallace is perfect, in just a bit more reasonable in evaluating him than the "one trick pony" babblers

steelers33
11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I think Wallace may not have been listening to Todd Haley's offensive philosophy. Balance is key. Imagine a two-man running attack of Dwyer and Mendenhall. The short, intermediate passing game of Heath, Sanders, and Brown. Then you add the threat of Wallace going deep? Combine that with the year Ben is having and watch out. The coaches know what they are doing and are not going to under-utilize Wallace. They want to develop this dimension of their offense now, and then keep adding dimensions to it. Or the Steelers FO already knows that Wallace isn't going to be with the team, and are preparing for life without him next year.

austinfrench76
11-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been saying that he is in the same situation that Heath was in Arians offense- doesn't necessarily fit his skill set. Good luck somewhere else Wallace. Just a fact.

OX1947
11-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I bet he does.

PhantomJB93
11-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm with everybody that he's not great and doesn't deserve a new contract, but he DOES need to go deep more. It's his asset and it still works when we try to use it (Titans game). I get that the short passing game works and I personally love that gameplan, but a deep throw here and there can't possibly hurt and over the past 2 games we haven't really tried one.

Millers the sh!t
11-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Outside of the Sunday night bengals game I can't think of any other time Wallace has been a ball dropper. It was an awful game, but hardly makes him a dropper. As for disappearing... Not entirely sure what that means, but I by no means think Wallace is perfect, in just a bit more reasonable in evaluating him than the "one trick pony" babblers

IMO, Wallace hit his prime during the air raid we had against the packers in reg season. 2010. I believe...... It was a Nice last second game winning Santonio Holmes style TD catch. I was high as hell on Wallace and thought he was legit and for real.

Ever since I noticed his lack of effort, dropping easy grabs, giving up on plays and noticed that fame was getting to him and he was deciding to settle for mediocrity cause it seemed to me that he believed he was good enough and didn't have to work hard anymore.

The 2011 Wild card game. Deep pass, right in the numbers..... Dropped. Broncos challenged the catch and won. That's the game where he finally lost the rest of any respect I had for him.

2010 AFC championship game I believe that the good majority of Steelers fans saw we had a real WR on our team and that wr's name was Brown.... Not Wallace. I believe the organizationion knew it as well.

steelfury02
11-03-2012, 06:59 AM
so now that he is basically gone - what would you offer him

I'd give him about a 3 year, 23 mil contract with 10.5 mill guaranteed, 5.5 front loaded, knowing he probably won't take it. Call it low-balling, but he is only #1 on the depth chart and not on the field. If he acts like a #1 the rest of the way, I might front load the entire 10.5.

Even after I think about this (and I'm def not a contract expert or capologist) I'm still thinking I might get another Antonio Brown in the draft - better work ethic who I won't have to pay the big bucks to for another 2 to 3 seasons.

Even if we start taking everyone by surprise later on in the season and he starts catching a few long bombs a game - is using him as a late-season surge guy even worth it? - or did some of you hit the nail on the head - we need a different type of receiver to be even more dynamic in the Haley system?

Millers the sh!t
11-03-2012, 07:08 AM
No way. It ain't his fault he is fast. Imagine being TE who can catch really well then being asking to block constantly and not be an option for receptions. Said TE asks to be thrown to more - is there a problem with that?

Wallace's asset is his speed, he wants to use it. I don't see a problem with that. No matter what these guys do somebody rags on them. He wants to run fast and catch the football.

My opinion is that they do need to do throw deep to him more. My guess is Haley is waiting to spring the trap. The "One trick pony" gag is getting old. Not only that, he is a great receiver. He has made some great catches this year. If he did not hold out we would not even be having this conversation.

We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, Wallace is crying that he ain't in the spotlight anymore even though he was planning on holding out this season anyways and clearly doesn't deserve the opportunity to get balls thrown his way due to his pathetic play and contributions to the team on and of the field.

It's just another sign that Wallace is a little boy still, and has the big headed WR disease that so many of them get. I'm glad that the 5-6 force fed dud bombs to Wallace every game are gone. I'm glad that they aren't even throwing one to him a game and in fact are scoring more points per game without the deep threat tactic than they were with it. Hopefully it helps humble Wallace and returns him back to planet earth while he is young and still has a chance to decide how he wants his legacy to be written. I'd hate to see Wallace be a punk his whole career and earn a bad rep for himself, then find himself begging for a job and working for peanuts like TO, Chad Johnson etc.

Having said all this. I still believe that airing it out to Wallace will be a huge part of our new offensive gameplay coming this postseason. I'm expecting a completely different offensive philosophy change and it'll look nothing like the Steelers we have been all watching the past 7 games.

I've mentioned before that I'm loving the new Haley offense, but I've been thinking a lot recently about how long he can possibly keep it fresh and unpredictable before it turns into the predictable and boring Arians offense. . I'm really hoping that we are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg and we can stay hot for years to come. I have way way way more confidence in Haley and his potential than Arians, but we can only be so successful for so long building an offensive scheme around the WR quick screens.

This is also why I'm guessing we will be high flying come late December and January.

Edman
11-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm with everybody that he's not great and doesn't deserve a new contract, but he DOES need to go deep more. It's his asset and it still works when we try to use it (Titans game). I get that the short passing game works and I personally love that gameplan, but a deep throw here and there can't possibly hurt and over the past 2 games we haven't really tried one.

That line of thinking is what got Bruce Arians on the bad side of Steelers fans real fast. We have something working here, but let's go away from it for the sake of being "unpredictable".

Yep, and true to Mike Wallace form, he did nothing else notable the rest of the game as Ben and the Offense had their worst game of the season after playing so well, but hey, at least Mikey had his big catch.

They had that one good play, but the Offense wasn't in a rhythm the rest of the night. The Mike Wallace dud bomb is becoming a detriment than an asset.

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, .:rolleyes:

this is only true to stat, fantasy football, and pro-bowl geeks, who care more about their pretend teams than the NFL as a whole.

football purists, those who study and respect the history of the game, and those who really understand the position know its complete rubbish.

heath miller has widely been regarded as the best PURE tight end in the game. that has translated to a VERY illustrious career for him where he will go down as the best TE in the entire history of the steelers 80 year old franchise.

i am sorry i have disagreed with you (posting nothing but FACTS), and i am sure you will take exception. please feel free, as others on this board have shown, , throwing a little hissy fit may help. :thumbsup:

also, i had to laugh at your notion of wallace hitting his "prime" in the final game of his rookie season... :laughing: were you in a coma the 1st half of last season?

Millers the sh!t
11-03-2012, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes:

this is only true to stat, fantasy football, and pro-bowl geeks, who care more about their pretend teams than the NFL as a whole.

football purists, those who study and respect the history of the game, and those who really understand the position know its complete rubbish.

heath miller has widely been regarded as the best PURE tight end in the game. that has translated to a VERY illustrious career for him where he will go down as the best TE in the entire history of the steelers 80 year old franchise.

i am sorry i have disagreed with you (posting nothing but FACTS), and i am sure you will take HEexception. please feel free, as others on this board have shown, , throwing a little hissy fit may help. :thumbsup:

also, i had to laugh at your notion of wallace hitting his "prime" in the final game of his rookie season... :laughing: were you in a coma the 1st half of last season?

Ha ha ha..... Nah you're right Tony. Please tell Haley that heath should go back to baby sitting flunky o line players for 60 minutes instead of coming up huge time after time on 3rd and long and in Redzone situations.

We are a much more productive offense taking Heath's leash off, rather than forcing him to play the traditional pure TE position that evolved over 80 years.

Check the bell curve...... Wallace went up.....Wallace hit prime, Wallace went down and has stayed there the last fifteen games of his career. Until he gets disciplined and takes his job more seriously the dude is definitely on a downswing in his career.

I'm truly honored that Tony Hipchest "the 2010/2011 2 time back to back world champion best internet forum contributor, and moderator the country has to offer" has taking the time out of his busy day of.......... Well........ typing on internet forums, and pushing the warranty of his Fleshlight to the limits, just to wittingly comment on my humble OPINION.

NEVER BEEN A STAT GUY. NEVER WILL. ONLY STAT I CARE ABOUT IS W/L'S 

THAT'S the best hissy fit I could come up with tony. I hope u liked it. Lol

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 02:37 PM
there... dont you feel much better now?

so where is this "bell curve" you speak of, mr. Not a STAT GUY?

"definitely" on the downswing? nice opinion, as wrong is it may be. :thumbsup:

Millers the sh!t
11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I thought I'd feel better but I don't........ In fact it hurts more.

I'm sorry Tony.

Twentyvalve
11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

I still don't get the hate for Wallace. He is a fast, probowl quality receiver who wants to utilize his best asset and contribute. He held out for money. I want to get paid as much as I can for my job, I don't really care about what anyone else thinks, why should he? We can all have our perceptions of his personality and ego, but none of us know the guy personally so whatever our comments, which are free to offer, are based on opinion only.

I am just happy he is back. And making plays. And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.

We don't have to imagine this scenario. It happened to Miller for years and years under Arians. And guess what. Miller didn't cry about it once. The man sat back patiently for half of his career being totally under utilized and wasted because we had a shit OC. Now that Miller is finally getting his dues, Wallace is crying that he ain't in the spotlight anymore even though he was planning on holding out this season anyways and clearly doesn't deserve the opportunity to get balls thrown his way due to his pathetic play and contributions to the team on and of the field.

It's just another sign that Wallace is a little boy still, and has the big headed WR disease that so many of them get. I'm glad that the 5-6 force fed dud bombs to Wallace every game are gone. I'm glad that they aren't even throwing one to him a game and in fact are scoring more points per game without the deep threat tactic than they were with it. Hopefully it helps humble Wallace and returns him back to planet earth while he is young and still has a chance to decide how he wants his legacy to be written. I'd hate to see Wallace be a punk his whole career and earn a bad rep for himself, then find himself begging for a job and working for peanuts like TO, Chad Johnson etc.

Having said all this. I still believe that airing it out to Wallace will be a huge part of our new offensive gameplay coming this postseason. I'm expecting a completely different offensive philosophy change and it'll look nothing like the Steelers we have been all watching the past 7 games.

I've mentioned before that I'm loving the new Haley offense, but I've been thinking a lot recently about how long he can possibly keep it fresh and unpredictable before it turns into the predictable and boring Arians offense. . I'm really hoping that we are barely seeing the tip of the iceberg and we can stay hot for years to come. I have way way way more confidence in Haley and his potential than Arians, but we can only be so successful for so long building an offensive scheme around the WR quick screens.

This is also why I'm guessing we will be high flying come late December and January.

lardlad
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Yep, he's also been dropping balls and disappearing when we need him the most.

Mike Wallace's Deep bombs don't scare Defenses anymore, because they know that even if he catches one, he'll do very little else for the rest of the game. Teams aren't losing sleep over having to play Wallace. Antonio Brown is the guy drawing double teams and respect from Defenses.

Suggs mentioned this beginning if last season, when there was less of brown to study. They were more worried about him than Wallace. Lets face another fact, Ben hasn't exactly been able to get him the ball constantly on deep routes. He's even over thrown him at times.

BlaZeQuietly
11-03-2012, 10:27 PM
It would be great to keep Wallace Brown and Sanders together "young money" as they call them selves. We should probably keep all the young talent we can.

cubanstogie
11-03-2012, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Twentyvalve;1043528]I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

Its because Miller is a team player. He doesn't care about stats or landing a big contract, he honors the one he has and gives 100 percent. Has nothing to do with position. Plenty of WR have the same trait, Ed McCaffery, Stever Largent. , Dwight Clark, Wes Welker even. Get were I am going.

tony hipchest
11-03-2012, 11:18 PM
And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.actually arians and ben have used that atleast once before. i know theyve used it in the regular season and maybe the direct snap to El for the 2 point conversion in the SB?

brett favre "invented" that and brady and ben have both used it (thats all, that i am aware of).

the best fake direct snap goes back to mularkey. kordell walked out from under center to bark a play at a wr and the direct snap went to bettis for a 1st down (vs vikings in 2001 i believe).

it was so good, mike martz and kurt warner incorporated it in their "greatest show on turf" offense the following year (to either faulk or trung candidate).

someone needs to blow the dust off that play.

Steeldude
11-04-2012, 03:59 AM
found this on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088965/article/mike-wallace-adjusting-to-pittsburgh-steelers-offense

why so he can drop more important passes?

It's because he has a difficult time snatching passes out of the air. For the lack of a better term, he can only cradle-catch the ball. So rather than work on learning how to catch and improve his poor fundamentals, he would rather whine about not being sent deep.

To think, some fans thought he was worth $11,000,000 a year :rofl:

Millers the sh!t
11-04-2012, 06:59 AM
... I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

I still don't get the hate for Wallace. He is a fast, probowl quality receiver who wants to utilize his best asset and contribute. He held out for money. I want to get paid as much as I can for my job, I don't really care about what anyone else thinks, why should he? We can all have our perceptions of his personality and ego, but none of us know the guy personally so whatever our comments, which are free to offer, are based on opinion only.

I am just happy he is back. And making plays. And while we are on the subject of plays, I loved the snap to Rainey with Ben faking the high snap grab. That was classic! A first? I can just see Arians staring at that play slack-jawed with drool drooling from his mouth not being able to comprehend something so alien.

I loved the direct snap too. Brady uses it 3-5 times a year or so in his offense. I do remember bird brain using a direct snap though. It was at the goal line and they sent Wallace in motion . They snapped it to him and he continued in for the score. It may have been against new England as well....I was in shock that arians thought outside the box for once....

Twentyvalve
11-04-2012, 07:47 AM
I did not know but I am not surprised. That was more of a jab at Arians than it was reality. I still say he is a slack-jawed drooling simpleton!

[QUOTE=Twentyvalve;1043528]I agree with you to an extent. I think Miller's predicament is unique, the guy does not say a word either way. And, imagine a TE whining about not being utilized as receiver enough - that would draw much boo-haaas. Maybe my TE analogy was not the best, but you get the gist.

Its because Miller is a team player. He doesn't care about stats or landing a big contract, he honors the one he has and gives 100 percent. Has nothing to do with position. Plenty of WR have the same trait, Ed McCaffery, Stever Largent. , Dwight Clark, Wes Welker even. Get were I am going.

Hawaii 5-0
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Cook: Wallace's catch grabs attention

November 14, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Lost in the sobering injuries to Ben Roethlisberger and Ryan Clark, the timely interception by Lawrence Timmons in overtime and the Steelers' less-than-satisfying 16-13 win Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs was their play of the year.

"You can't practice it," said one of the co-authors, Mike Wallace. "You can't script it."

It went down as a simple 7-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger to Wallace late in the second quarter, but there was so much more to it. The play went a long way toward saving the game and perhaps the season for the Steelers. Roethlisberger and Wallace are getting pretty good at that sort of thing, or at least they were before Roethlisberger left early in the third quarter with a potentially serious sprained right shoulder. A week earlier in a win against the New York Football Giants, the two combined on a 51-yard touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter to turn the game the Steelers' way.

That score against the Giants was all Wallace. He caught the ball on a short crossing pattern and used his incredible speed to outrun everyone across the field and up the left sideline. The touchdown against the Chiefs was a wondrous collaboration between Roethlisberger and Wallace. It took brilliance on both ends to make it work.

Roethlisberger froze Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers for just an instant with a pump fake, then threw a perfect lob pass to Wallace, who ran a fade pattern to the right corner of the end zone. Wallace -- fighting the lights, the wind, the rain and generally nasty conditions, not to mention Flowers' coverage -- dived and scooped the ball into his lap with his right hand. It settled between his thighs as he hit the ground.

"I knew it was a touchdown," Wallace said even after it took an officials review to confirm it. "When you play football every day for as long as I have, you know when the ball hits the ground. That ball didn't hit the ground."

The play pulled the Steelers into a 10-10 tie against the Chiefs, who came in to Heinz Field as 12 1/2-point underdogs with a 1-7 record. It was the sixth time this season that Roethlisberger and Wallace hooked up for a touchdown. They nearly hit on a 44-yard touchdown a few plays earlier, the ball grazing off an open Wallace's fingertips inside the Chiefs 5.

"Me being the caliber of receiver I am, I probably should have caught that one," Wallace said. "It would have been a nice catch. But if I'm the elite receiver I think I am, I need to catch that ball."

It will be a crying shame if Roethlisberger and Wallace don't get a chance to add to their touchdown total anytime soon.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't rule Roethlisberger out for Sunday night's home game against the Baltimore Ravens, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath that Roethlisberger will play. Tomlin was more peevish and his answers more clipped and condescending than usual at his weekly news conference. It can't be easy looking at the games ahead without potentially having your franchise quarterback. The guess here is Tomlin will be thrilled if he has Roethlisberger back for the second Ravens game Dec. 2 in Baltimore.

That leaves Byron Leftwich as the next man up at quarterback.

Leftwich said there won't be any changes in the offense and Tomlin said he isn't sure any are needed. If anything, the Steelers might take a few more deep shots to Wallace. Leftwich has a big arm.

"He might throw the fastest ball in the league," Wallace said. "Did you see him overthrow me? I can't remember the last time that happened. I was disappointed in my legs after that play. I've got to talk to 'em when I go home. 'Legs, you've got to pick it up.' "

It was nice to hear Wallace giggle. If he's troubled by his tenuous contract situation, he isn't showing it. He held out during training camp in an attempt to get a long-term deal. When that failed, he reported late in the exhibition season and signed the Steelers' tender to play this season for $2,742,000.

"It's not as tough as you might think," Wallace said. "I love my teammates. I love playing with these guys.
They've rallied around me. They make it a lot easier for me."

Roethlisberger wasn't the only player who had to adjust to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's quick-pass offense. Wallace had to do it, as well. He's just as much of a possession receiver now as he is a home-run hitter.

"Coach Haley likes to call short passes and set up for a deep one every once in a while," Wallace said. "I'm not going to fight it. I'm going with it."

The touchdowns help.

Remember when Tomlin called Wallace "a one-trick pony" early in his career, his way to motivate Wallace to become more than just a speed threat? Well, it worked. It took a special player to make that touchdown catch Monday night. A special receiver.

That was no one-trick pony.

"Please tell [Tomlin]. Please let him know," Wallace said, grinning.

That's so unnecessary.

Wallace knows that Tomlin knows that Wallace has become a big-time, all-around receiver.

Now if Leftwich can just keep getting him the ball ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-wallaces-catch-grabs-attention-661972/#ixzz2CJwZHJ4Z

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Leftwich Throws the ball like Randy Johnson.

lloydwoodson
11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Wallace is still the number one receiver on the Steelers. He will always be more of a td threat than Brown. Brown is more of a slot or posession receiver.

ChristianKustomz
11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Doesn't matter if he wants to go deep...he rarely catches the ball.

Hawaii 5-0
11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Doesn't matter if he wants to go deep...he rarely catches the ball.

Wallace didn't have to on our first TD drive as he drew the pass interference penalty...

BlaZeQuietly
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I get nervous every time he is within 15 feet of the ball

SteelerEmpire
11-19-2012, 07:04 AM
If Ben, Lefty or Batch was as accurate as Brady or Manning then yes, he should go deep more. But those guys deep balls are not impressive; it would be too dangerous as most of the time Wallace has to stop and come back to the ball. This not only increases the chance of injury to Wallace but also gives the defender a shot at a pic.