PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE **** WERE YOU THINKING TOMLIN??

Fire Arians
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Seriously? if you're gonna go for it why the trickery? they can't stop redman

ChristianKustomz
11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Are you serious? A kick fake? You cost us 3 solid points! I can understand why you did what you did but for God sake do the sure thing...kick the freaking field goal and give us 3 points!

nikstar
11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Doesn't really make sense in that situation, either go for the 4th and inches or kick the fg for the tie, I don't understand the decision to go for a fake, it's like somewhere inbetween.

ChristianKustomz
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Right? Hell at least try for the QB sneak. At least that would have been an honorable play. I can understand why he did it but God Almighty throw that play out of the play book!

ChristianKustomz
11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I know. That was the worst call I have seen from Tomlin and he's made some wappers before.

Fire Arians
11-04-2012, 06:17 PM
they can't stop redman and haven't all game. their D-line is doing great in passing situations but they have been getting mauled in the run game. handing it off to red would have been the best call

OX1947
11-04-2012, 06:30 PM
it was a great call, if health blocks his man. Besides, Tomlin showed me a lot the last couple weeks, I have not been a 100% fan of him, but he showed he wants to win. And I always respect that.

Ricco Suavez
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I disagree not a good call even if it works, take the tie, or if you go for it load up heavy and make a statement.

lloydwoodson
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I like that they went for it on 4th and short in that situation. I think a run from Redman would have been the better choice considering the game he was having, however, I just like that they went for it. Great call that showed a lot of guts and determination.

3rdandlong
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Once again I feel like we overcame Tomlin's bad game management

Bayz101
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
It was a gutsy call, i'll give him that.

harrison'samonster
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
yeah, it was definitely gutsy. I'd have to say I disagree with it. But I think it speaks a lot about Tomlin's confidence in his team. I do respect that he went for it, but I would like to have seen a better attempt.

jtbsteeler
11-04-2012, 06:41 PM
It was dumb, but we overcame it and still won. Which is even more impressive. I know this, I feel like we can run on anyone now...

Ricco Suavez
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree Tomlin got some big marbles. Bigger marbles than sense sometimes.

jiminpa
11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Gutsy call, yes, because it was moronic. Even if it worked it was moronic. That's how you go for a loss. At least we now have 2 coordinators capable of overcoming Tomlin's idiocy.

Vis
11-04-2012, 07:14 PM
It's the kind of call that makes football fun

steelfury02
11-04-2012, 07:16 PM
can you imagine the reaction to that play had we lost by a FG!? Ugh. This week would have been unbearable.

Thank goodness!:tt:

grward
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I have less of an issue with the decision than the execution of that play! If you are going to fake it to the right, shouldn't you block heavy on the right? It was either poorly designed or poorly executed ... and maybe even both.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey stop the Tomlin bashing.

I'm sure he has taken full responsibility!! It was on him.

We can sleep soundly knowing that.

Fire Arians
11-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey stop the Tomlin bashing.

I'm sure he has taken full responsibility!! It was on him.

We can sleep soundly knowing that.

I just don't understand why he would feel the need to trick an opponent they have been dominating in the trenches. hand that shit off to redman, they never could stop him when it counted most, and weren't about to anytime soon.

Sharkissle29
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
It was an awful call. Should have just lined up and pounded it in if we wanted to go for it. Oh well, we survived at least.

Third Rail
11-04-2012, 08:10 PM
It was the dumbest call I think I've ever seen by Tomlin, but luckily, we won.

Look, I'm all for going for it on 4th down, even in a risky situation like that. But when it's 4th and INCHES and you have a powerful RB who has nearly run for a buck fifty on the day and a QB who is built like a linebacker, just try and muscle it over the line with one of them. Don't almost get your kicker killed trying to catch them off guard.

Still, they won, and Suisham didn't get crushed to death on the play by any of New York's 12-foot, 550-lb defensive linemen (thank God), so it's all good.

steelcity1974
11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Horrible call. Should have gone qb sneak on 3rd and one. And again on 4th. Dumbass call.

jiminpa
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM
The problem is that this not inconsistent with Tomlin's history. If there is a way to be stupid, Tomlin will find it.

Cherinko
11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Don't like the fake FG on 4th and inches. If you want to fake it on 4th and 4 then ok. We have a power runner in Redman having a good day. We have a huge quarterback that would only need to take the snap and take a step. Possibly gaining the element of surprise isn't worth starting the play from 7 yards back with a kicker trying to run.

btaylor179
11-04-2012, 08:41 PM
i called a fake fg but dam i was just joking!

ZoneBlitzer
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM
At least Tomlin owned it. I was glad to hear him admit it in the postgame about how his team overcame bad coaching.

jiminpa
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
...his team overcame bad coaching.For six seasons now.

lardlad
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
That call didn't bother me at the time. And looking back, it set up the ensuing touchdown.

desertsteel
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Once again I feel like we overcame Tomlin's bad game management

Apparently we've done thar a lot the last 6 years huh?

JeromeBetties63
11-04-2012, 09:30 PM
For six seasons now.

Ridiculous overstatement

Hawaii 5-0
11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Coach Mike Tomlinís Post-Game Comments

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 4, 2012

Opening Comment: Weíve got big time respect for what the Giants are capable of in the fourth so hopefully this is a big step for us in terms of trying to be the football team we desire to be. Weíll enjoy it tonight. Tomorrow we will get back to business and move forward to next weekís challenges. We had a few injuries. I donít have the complete list. Adrian Robinson had a quad, Chris Rainey has rib or rib cartilage of some kind. Will Allen had a stinger and he was able to go back. Antonio Brown has a mild high ankle sprain. Weíll take a look at that. We donít know what that means for him next week. The guys put their hands in the pile and delivered plays that came from a variety of places. We were down to our third string kick returner there. Emmanuel Sanders sparked them with a big return. I canít say enough about the efforts of the players and coaches. Nice team win for us. Weíll pack it up and get out of here.

What did you tell your guys coming into this game about the emotions that would be going on today?

We didnít talk too much about it. This is a game. What has happened here in this region this past week is life and reality. It was a little bit of an adjustment for both teams. I am sure it was more of an adjustment for the Giants. We just wanted to focus on the things we could control, which was our preparation and ultimately our play. The guys did a nice job of focusing on that.

Ben (Roethlisbergerís) fumble for a touchdown. How was that explained to you?

I didnít ask for an explanation. I canít figure out some of this stuff now. I just try to move on the best that I can because thatís what our guys need to do.

Can you talk about the fake field goal and how it paid off on the defensive stop?

I took a shot and the guys backed my play like I knew they would. I appreciate that. They overcome bad coaching sometimes. Thatís on me. The Giants did a nice job. I tip my hat to Tom Quinn and that group over there on the special teams unit. They were ready for it. They did a nice job.

With the way Isaac (Redman) was playing did you think about going for it on fourth down?

It was a long one. You worry about penetration down there when you are working off a silent count. I thought we were winning the line of scrimmage for the majority of the game, in that situation specifically when you are working with a silent count I was concerned about false starts, I was concerned about penetration. I didnít want to do it.

Except for the penalties your defense held a pretty good Giants offense under 200 yards. Can you talk about that?

And some of the penalties were suspect.

Your evaluation of the running game and Isaac Redman?

Next man up. He did a nice job of answering the bell and delivering for us. It starts up front. I like the personality that is developing within that group, led by guys like Maurkice Pouncey and Willie Colon. They set the pace for us. The young guy Mike Adams is doing a great job. Itís a collective effort. They are winning the line of scrimmage. It was a nice contribution by all parties involved tonight.

Can you talk about the adversity of flying on game day?

We donít want to bring focus to that. There are a lot of people that have a lot more adversity than what we had to deal with this morning. The bottom line is we were here when they kicked the ball off. That was going to be enough. We focused on those things. We had a nice morning. I thought our guys did a nice job of handling it. We talked openly about it and we showed up at the stadium to play the game.

Can you talk about the year Ben Roethlisberger is having?

He is doing the job for us. He is 5-3 like the rest of us and we are searching for 6-3.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/11/04/coach-mike-tomlins-post-game-comments/

jiminpa
11-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Ridiculous overstatementI don't think it is, but I could be wrong. It's not like this is his first moronic major in-game decision. He makes them all of the time. He has improved some though.

desertsteel
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't think it is, but I could be wrong. It's not like this is his first moronic major in-game decision. He makes them all of the time. He has improved some though.

Yeah ridiculous overstatement.

fansince'76
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah ridiculous overstatement.

Agreed. And as usual, he's given absolutely no credit whatsoever for the team fighting through and overcoming shitty officiating and a 10-point 4th quarter deficit to get the win against the defending champs on the road. Had they went out there and laid an egg and got blown off the field, you can bet your ass they'd be blaming THAT on him and screaming for his head on a stick, though.

MzunguT
11-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Agreed. And as usual, he's given absolutely no credit whatsoever for the team fighting through and overcoming shitty officiating and a 10-point 4th quarter deficit to get the win against the defending champs on the road. Had they went out there and laid an egg and got blown off the field, you can bet your ass they'd be blaming THAT on him and screaming for his head on a stick, though.

This.

I tend to like that kind of calls. Scares the crap out of me but shows some determination and confidence that also might spark the team.

:tt02:

FanSince72
11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I LOVED the fake kick call!

It was Mike Tomlin saying to the Giants:

We want a TD not a tying field goal
We have confidence in our defense to get the ball back if it doesn't work
It was a message to our D that he has confidence in them as well as telling them to BE a great defense
It was a general statement that he wants to win outright rather than hoping to be the last team to kick a FG or score a TD.

And we came through!
We forced a 3-and-out and then went on to win.

The play itself was doomed from the beginning because there wasn't sufficient blocking, so in terms of execution it left much to be desired.

But in terms of the call itself?

Brilliant! :applaudit:

Rowland2110
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I didnt like the call but since our defense was playing so well, which im sure had a BIG part in the decision to try the fake field goal, i didnt mind it too much.

Sleeper/54
11-05-2012, 09:10 AM
..... how angry would the posts on this thread be if Suisham would have been injured and unable to play .... a place kicker running with the ball should never be a good thing.:mad:

Vis
11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
If it had worked the video would be my signature. If that's in the playbook, think about what else is.

FanSince72
11-05-2012, 09:23 AM
..... how angry would the posts on this thread be if Suisham would have been injured and unable to play .... a place kicker running with the ball should never be a good thing.:mad:

Yeah, and if Lincoln didn't go to the theater and if Kennedy didn't go to Dallas...

Tomlin took a chance, it was fun to watch, it's just a game.

Bayz101
11-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Very ballsy call by Tomlin. Placekickers are involved in fakes like this all the time, so don't even go there. Tomlin didn't invent a whole new act of stupidity as some of you are crying, he simply took a risk and it didn't pan out. If it would have worked, you'd all be calling him a coaching genius.

steelfury02
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
and Suisham said the only thing that was hurt was his feelings haha:chuckle: I like Suisham - great attitude and he has improved since he has been here

For his next trick (attempt), Suisham will be performing the hook and ladder, finished off with a left-handed slam dunk into the goal post

Edman
11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I like that Tomlin went for it. The play call and the play design didn't make sense.

I think Tomlin was trying to break the will of the Giants, but Redman would've done the job fine. The Giants were getting dominated up front and they couldn't stop him all game.

FanSince72
11-05-2012, 09:35 AM
and Suisham said the only thing that was hurt was his feelings haha:chuckle: I like Suisham - great attitude and he has improved since he has been here

For his next trick (attempt), Suisham will be performing the hook and ladder, finished off with a left-handed slam dunk into the goal post

Yeah and if he hit the crossbar with the dunk, everyone would be whining about THAT for two weeks. :doh:

steelfury02
11-05-2012, 09:36 AM
the Giants were being dominated? What are you talking about? They only reason we won is 'cause we "got away with murder." :chuckle:

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
wow.

people were itching to blame this loss on the failed trick play. did anyone see the refs try to rob us in the 1st half with 3 of the worst calls/non-calls (plus 2 more incorrect) i have ever seen in a span of 5 minutes?

i woulda blamed this loss squarely on the heads of the cheating refs and the instructions they received from goodell.

i didnt like the tomlin call at the time. i thought it was too risky, but i also felt that was probably as close as we would get to scoring a TD and taking the lead.

i was pretty sure the refs were going to insure the giants one.

tomlin was coaching against the giants AND the refs, so i respect his decision.

teegre
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I am in the vast minority, but I really liked the play.

Sure, running up the middle would have been great, too... but, honestly, I think that the refs would likely have spotted the ball a few inches back. I'm just saying... Mr. Goodell... looking down... "Move those chains back, Leavy."

As it was, PITT lined up at the spot where extra points are routinely kicked. Due to this field position, this play was a 2-point conversion play... which had been practiced multiple times, over the years. If #37 falls for the fake, Suisham walks into the end-zone. It was a smart call, in my opinion.

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Very ballsy call by Tomlin. Placekickers are involved in fakes like this all the time, so don't even go there. Tomlin didn't invent a whole new act of stupidity as some of you are crying, he simply took a risk and it didn't pan out. If it would have worked, you'd all be calling him a coaching genius.

I wouldn't have. I would have said it was a bad call but luckily it worked. Why run a fake FG in a game tying situation where redman wasn't being stopped all game in short yardage situations? their d-line was getting manhandled vs our running game

if anything was a positive though it showed that tomlin was playing to win

Kanata-Steeler
11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Let's remeber that Tomlin is a "Defensive-trained" ONLY coach, (and NOT an Offensive-minded-HC), sooo, we're obviously gonna get pot-luck shots like this from him, until both Todd and Tomlin garner confidence in each other, ...

Steel_Bus_24
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Happy we won despite being hosed but can't lie....had one of these on my face after that level of FAIL

http://images20.fotki.com/v682/photos/0/1685060/8895181/sellxd-vi.png

fer522
11-05-2012, 04:50 PM
i liked the call becauseW42iiCcFbxE :wink02:

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 06:37 PM
i liked the call becauseW42iiCcFbxE :wink02:

"Hello!" :chuckle:

ETL
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Things I liked about the call: gutsy, he plays to win the game, he had confidence in his defense that they would have the Giants pinned deep if the play didn't work and we would get another shot to tie

Things I didn't like: those points were to tie the game - very very important points

Overall: I liked the call. I suffered too many years of "play not to lose" with Cowher and I am glad that we have a coach that wants to win.

So easy to have 20:20 hindsight - the #1 skill of most Steeler fans. But as in EVERYTHING in life - no Risk = no Reward. I think Tomlin has a level head and takes his shots ... appropriately.

I support this call

Bayz101
11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Things I liked about the call: gutsy, he plays to win the game, he had confidence in his defense that they would have the Giants pinned deep if the play didn't work and we would get another shot to tie

Things I didn't like: those points were to tie the game - very very important points

Overall: I liked the call. I suffered too many years of "play not to lose" with Cowher and I am glad that we have a coach that wants to win.

So easy to have 20:20 hindsight - the #1 skill of most Steeler fans. But as in EVERYTHING in life - no Risk = no Reward. I think Tomlin has a level head and takes his shots ... appropriately.

I support this call

"20:20 hindsight". Sort of ironic seeing as how it would have been 20-20. :chuckle:

ETL
11-05-2012, 07:44 PM
"20:20 hindsight". Sort of ironic seeing as how it would have been 20-20. :chuckle:

That is really clever. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. kudos.

jiminpa
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't have. I would have said it was a bad call but luckily it worked. Why run a fake FG in a game tying situation where redman wasn't being stopped all game in short yardage situations? their d-line was getting manhandled vs our running game

if anything was a positive though it showed that tomlin was playing to winQuite the opposite. He was playing to lose, and got bailed out by his coordinators and players--yet again, and this time he had two coordinators bailing him out. Putting your rent down on powerball is gutsy, but it is definitely not playing to win. That wasn't his rent money, but it was stupid. If it had worked I would have felt like we got very lucky. My heart sank when I saw Suisham with the ball, so you can't call it 20/20 hindsight, it was 20/20 sight too. It was just plain idiotic.

Pirate
11-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Tomlin unnecessarily risked our season's kicking game on a boneheaded play. I still can't see the reasoning behind that call.

steelfury02
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Cobra has infiltrated our trick play
http://benmaller.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/miketomlincartoon.jpg

SquirrelHillSteelNut
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
i'm still in a unbelieving state, three days later. geez, i woulda kicked the safe tying FG 10 out of 10 times. geez, Coach T.:frown: