PDA

View Full Version : pass interference rule needs changed ...

TRH
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
It was clear, crystal clear, from the Steeler-Giants game today that the rule of penalization for pass interference needs changed. And changed now.

As Simms/Nantz had said on-air.....it needs changed to a 15-yard penalty. End of story.

The Giants were deep in their own territory - Manning throws a bomb - Keenan Lewis doesn't even touch the receiver and the refs call a fraudulent pass interference on him - and all of a sudden have the ball near the Steelers 20-yard line!!!
Sets the other team up to almost surely score- on a call that never should have been made. These are penalties (and sometimes not anything at all) that are game-changing, HUGE penalities where "mistakes" or "favoritism" by refs cannot be afforded.

Its needs changed. Period

harrison'samonster
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I couldn't agree more. That is an absolutely ridiculous rule. It's bad enough when a team is rewarded with 40 yards when there is actually pass interference.

It's just about criminal when a team is rewarded with 40 yards just because the refs blow a call.

Fire Arians
11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
without pass interference being as lethal a penalty as it is, how will poor joe flacco ever become elite?

GMU Steeler
11-04-2012, 06:55 PM
without pass interference being as lethal a penalty as it is, how will poor joe flacco ever become elite?

Haha took the words out of my mouth. I'm with the OP here. Make it a fifteen yarder.

Ricco Suavez
11-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I been saying this for the last few years. Offenses have way too much leverage against the defense. Lewis defended that pass perfect, only after he deflected the ball did he put a hand on Cruz. Receivers can cause contact and the defender gets called for it. Just more of Goodells point a minute league.

PhantomJB93
11-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I think it's really funny how in college that's already the rule. If anything they should be swapped with college having the NFL's rule and vice versa. The "spot of the foul" rule would affect the college game much less than an NFL game.

3rdandlong
11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I think the NFL needs to call pass interference a lot less. Offenses can now game plan to just throw deep and expect to get pass interference calls. If the defender so much as touches the receiver, he coul be flagged. Don't like it at all

pancake
11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I think you should be able to challange PI calls. Not sure if it would make a difference or not...

steelfury02
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
15 yard penalty for interference is ok by me

OX1947
11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
That point was the greatest point Phil Simms has ever made. I think with all the advantages they have given the offense and receivers especially, someone from the competition committee should put that in the next ballet in the off season. I am sure Crapdell will consider it because it doesn't matter to his Fantasy Football checklist, no one gets hurt or benefits from it from that standpoint.

I would even consider half and half. If there is a pass interference in the end zone, then they can put the ball on the one. But in the field of play, you make it 15 yards.

steelfury02
11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
or, half the distance to the spot of the foul? 40 yard play would then only result in 20 yard penalty? Still too much?

harrison'samonster
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd be happy with just a new set of downs, maybe 5 yards

Curtain_of_Steel
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Since its a presumed completion the QB should get credit for a completion.

As per the penalty calling and remedy, I think it should be as is, but a potential challenge should occur. The QB's know our CB's are stupid so they will toss it up. Wait till that POS Flacco gets us, he will be tossing it up for grabs constantly.
It may be a mandatory challenge where the booth reviews it. Its not a complicated challenge, one look see you can tell.

grward
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM

As per the penalty calling and remedy, I think it should be as is, but a potential challenge should occur. The QB's know our CB's are stupid so they will toss it up. Wait till that POS Flacco gets us, he will be tossing it up for grabs constantly.
It may be a mandatory challenge where the booth reviews it. Its not a complicated challenge, one look see you can tell.

I agree with this! Especially when it's BB to #17 ... if the defenders interfere with a 40 yard pass play, darn it I want those 40 yards back!

And since this is such a critical penality, make it reviewable. It will still be subjective, but better than the way it is now.

TRH
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
reading through responses, i'd like to think it would be changed - because as someone said - it was downright criminal to get deep from within one's own territory to the other guys 20 yard line - because of a call "that never happened". Criminal.
But unfortunately - this is exactly what the current NFL league cronies want. High scoring offense. And this plays right into their hands.....no matter how wrong the call is. Doubt it ever gets changed.

Fire Arians
11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
they should really allow coaches to challenge penalties imo

Twentyvalve
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
And the standard response to any contact on a missed pass play is to pout and plea for a PI call. It is embarrassing. The players should see themselves on TV doing that - they look stupid.

Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
11-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Coughlin is good at whining, every deep ball he had his hands in the air and was running at an official

Almost as bad as Harbaugh, not quite though.

jiminpa
11-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Coughlin is good at whining, every deep ball he had his hands in the air and was running at an official

Almost as bad as Harbaugh, not quite though.Coughlin's a chump, being bailed out by a great team.

Darkstorm05
11-04-2012, 08:43 PM
PI isn't going away. Big exciting offensive plays are what Goodell wants on TV. He's not going to take away such an "Exciting" offensive penalty. Since PI isn't going away, I personally think any WR that jumps up and starts doing the PI Flag Dance should immediately be flagged himself for unsportsmanlike.

btaylor179
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
worse pass int call ever

beer72
11-04-2012, 10:50 PM
When called incorrectly it is just too lethal especially when the offense almosts seems to throw the ball deep just for hopes of the call...15yrds here too

4xSBChamps
11-05-2012, 11:50 AM
it was different, 30 years ago when a 40+ yard pass wasn't common, but today's pass-n-tab teams use PI as an intended result

if the intended receiver doesn't catch the ball, they immediately turn & begin petitioning the officials

when mental-midgets like Nantz & Simms realize this, you know it's past-due

FanSince72
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Since Goodell has decided that he wants passing to be the centerpiece of modern football, I think it's silly to do so at the expense of defense.
Not everyone is a "casual fan" and many fans of the game appreciate defense more so than offense.
But you can emphasize passing without sacrificing sound defense.

Changing the rules to make PI a15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul would be a great idea because it would allow defenders to actually BE defenders instead of a bunch of nervous-nellies afraid to get too close to a receiver for fear of costing his team a huge chunk of yardage or even the game.
Not only that, but it would discourage teams from using a deep ball as a means of gaining cheap yardage by drawing a foul and would instead mean that deep balls would be thrown with the intention of someone actually catching it rather than just trying to sucker some DB into a penalty.

Make Pass Interference a 15-yard penalty and make the game better and more honest!

steelax04
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
It's how a lot of QBs make their living... heave up a bomb and hope their receiver can draw a flag. E. Manning, Romo, Flacco, et al.

truesteelerfan
11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I think its a great idea! Hopefully someone from our team heard Phil's idea and brings it up with the competition committe for a rule change.

jjpro11
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
And the standard response to any contact on a missed pass play is to pout and plea for a PI call. It is embarrassing. The players should see themselves on TV doing that - they look stupid.

It's the self-entitlement kind of thing the league has created. Our guys are guilty of it as well. They throw the flag so damn much as it is, and any contact beyond 5 yards is supposed to be flagged... So any time a receiver is touched, he thinks he's entitled to a flag. It's the inconsistency that makes these games so difficult to watch. PI or defensive holding is the new offensive holding penalty. Technically, they could call it on nearly every down.. But they don't, and you never can know for sure when they will.

BowCatShot
11-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Since Goodell has decided that he wants passing to be the centerpiece of modern football, I think it's silly to do so at the expense of defense.
Not everyone is a "casual fan" and many fans of the game appreciate defense more so than offense.
But you can emphasize passing without sacrificing sound defense.

Changing the rules to make PI a15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul would be a great idea because it would allow defenders to actually BE defenders instead of a bunch of nervous-nellies afraid to get too close to a receiver for fear of costing his team a huge chunk of yardage or even the game.
Not only that, but it would discourage teams from using a deep ball as a means of gaining cheap yardage by drawing a foul and would instead mean that deep balls would be thrown with the intention of someone actually catching it rather than just trying to sucker some DB into a penalty.

Make Pass Interference a 15-yard penalty and make the game better and more honest!

Alternately, rather than fiddle with the rules or change the penalties, have the refs take instantaneous lie detector tests whenever they throw the penalty flag. The questions would be asked by the penalized team's head coach. If lying, the ref would be ejected from the game on the spot and given a hefty fine.

Lokki
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
The problem with changing it to a 15 yard penalty though would be that the DBs could then use that as a free penalty. "Oh, I'm about to be burned and give up a big play, let me foul this guy so it is only 15 yards instead." PI would be much more common then.

TRH
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
The problem with changing it to a 15 yard penalty though would be that the DBs could then use that as a free penalty. "Oh, I'm about to be burned and give up a big play, let me foul this guy so it is only 15 yards instead." PI would be much more common then.

then the only alternative would be to review EVERY pass interference call, just the way they review every score. I would certainly be on board with something like that. The consequences have been far too severe for these "phantom" penalities.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-05-2012, 04:44 PM
a 15 yarder wouldnt work, Ike would have 10 a game to save his ass.

You see that crap in college now. Its abused

SteeleReign
11-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Well, it used to be a 15-yd penalty, but was changed due to the muggings that took place when a DB was beaten. I have no problem with a spot foul, but would like to see an "instant review" take place in a replay booth somewhere upstairs.

If we as TV viewers can tell in real time whether or not a PI has taken place, these designated replay officials should be able to make a judgement within seconds. These officials can also review personal foul calls like blows to the head or defenseless receiver calls - penalties that can affect the outcome of a game one way or the other.

jjpro11
11-06-2012, 06:16 PM
The rule is fine, they just need to quit calling it so damn tightly. They should only throw the flag when there is clear-cut interference, especially on long throws. These ticky-tacky calls are killing the integrity of the game. This wasn't a problem 10-15 years ago like it is today. It's only after Goodell tried turning the league into the Arena Football League that the calls became so ticky-tacky and inconsistent.

grward
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Well, I agree that the DB will use the opportunity to take away the deep threat every time the play extends beyond 15 yards ... why not? It wouldn't matter if they get beat or have tight coverage. Anything after 15 yards would be a free for all.

I don't necessarily agree to have EVERY penalty reviewed either. But why not make it a coach's decision to have it reviewed? Like one poster said, if it's obvious to the fans it should be obvious to the coach. They can make the decision to throw the red flag.

Everyone who likes the idea of the 15 yard penalty needs to think about it a little bit more. One of our strengths is the deep threat. Are you okay with Ben throwing downfield 40 yards to have Wallace mauled and get 15 yards out of it? I'm not.

pittpete
11-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Only blatant PI fouls should be called.
Both players have a right for the ball

TRH
11-07-2012, 07:04 AM
The rule is fine, they just need to quit calling it so damn tightly. They should only throw the flag when there is clear-cut interference, especially on long throws. These ticky-tacky calls are killing the integrity of the game. This wasn't a problem 10-15 years ago like it is today. It's only after Goodell tried turning the league into the Arena Football League that the calls became so ticky-tacky and inconsistent.

This - exactly.
And i think its pretty clear that they need to review every 'pass-interference' call - just like they review every score.

4xSBChamps
11-07-2012, 07:09 AM
This - exactly.
And i think its pretty clear that they need to review every 'pass-interference' call - just like they review every score.

"... and we could show 2 more commercials with every review...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

... DO-IT!!!"

lloydwoodson
11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
You guys are going to be mad when Wallace blows past a defender and has a sure catch in the endzone only to get tripped from behind for a 15 yard penalty. :toofunny:

TRH
11-08-2012, 09:37 AM
You guys are going to be mad when Wallace blows past a defender and has a sure catch in the endzone only to get tripped from behind for a 15 yard penalty. :toofunny:

and thats exactly why - after much thought - i think a "review" of pass interference calls is the only way to go.

bornaSteelersfan
11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
I am OK with the rule as it is. I do think that the coaches challenge should be allowed to be used for obvious game-changing penalties. Now that all turnovers and all TD's are automatically reviewed, this would be the best use of a challenge. The league will say, "It was a judgement call", but can't we challenge poor judgement?

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 02:50 PM
and thats exactly why - after much thought - i think a "review" of pass interference calls is the only way to go.

that's only going to make games even longer, there's no way the NFL wants that.

and where would you draw the line, should all offensive holding calls be reviewed next?

TRH
11-08-2012, 06:02 PM
that's only going to make games even longer, there's no way the NFL wants that.

and where would you draw the line, should all offensive holding calls be reviewed next?

those phantom interference calls can be complete game-changers.....40, 50 yard penalties. Also, they're ALOT more clear than "holding" calls - you could make that call in seconds without even going to a commercial break.
Something absolutely, without question needs done.