PDA

View Full Version : Chucki Okobi Diagnosed with Slipped Disc

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Reported on Mark Madden via a call from an ESPN Radio rep at training camp. His season and his career are reportedly in jeopardy.

Dynasty
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Jesus! thats going to hurt our depth at center a lot. Heres hoping he makes a speedy recovery

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Thankfully we drafted Philip and he looked damn good when I saw him this past Saturday. I've also heard a few praise him in the local media. We still might have to go out and sign a big body.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Horrible. Just horrible. :pde: Marvin Phillips is now in the spotlight.

tony hipchest
08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
ouch! this isnt good. especially on passing on a potential 10 -15 year starter in nick mangold for a wr. hopefully we dont need okolbi this year (he still isnt better than hartings) and he will be ready to go when hartings retires (next year). marvin philip could possibly step in, in a crunch, and hold the fort down if hartings gets injured.

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
They also just broke the story on KDKA news.

Cowher: "It does not look good.".

Reporter's question: "Season ending or career ending?"

Cowher: "It could be both."

Herniated disc and numbness down his arm.

Livinginthe past
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Oh dear - you gotta hate these season ending injuries regardless of team loyalty - lets hope it isnt a career ender - be a horrible way to go out.

NM

SteelerzGirl
08-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree, LITP. Awww... That's too bad about Okobi. I, too, hope he makes a speedy recovery. Get well soon, Chucki!

tony hipchest
08-08-2006, 05:11 PM
shame on me for thinking of the contract extension we just gave him and the money tied up (but when you hear "career ending" you tend to think that)

any word on whether this was something that was progressing or a practice related injury?

83-Steelers-43
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Steelers center Okobi injured, career in jeopardy
Tuesday, August 08, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chukky Okobi, who has been groomed for five years to be the heir apparent to Jeff Hartings at center, could have a herniated disk in his neck that could end his playing career.

Coach Bill Cowher termed the injury "very significant" and said Okobi could have surgery this morning. Okobi, 27, has been held out of some contact drills since last week and started feeling a tingling sensation down his arm Monday night.

"So we had him checked out," Cowher said.

Asked if the injury is career-threatening as well as season-ending, Cowher said, "It could be both."

Cowher said he did not know if Okobi was injured on a particular play or if the injury was cumulative damage. Okobi practiced in both sessions on Monday, but did not take part in yesterday's afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College.

"It's hard to say if it was any one hit," Cowher said.

Okobi was unavailable for comment.

Okobi's injury could clear the way for rookie Marvin Philip, a sixth-round draft choice, to make the team.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Chucki get well bro. Thats to bad and sad. Just horrible.

tony hipchest
08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
thanks bro. my dad had a slipped disk when he was about 30 yrs old. totally not sports related, it just happened.

im thinking this is something that couldve happened to okolbi anyways but being a pro ball player definitely didnt help.

Mosca
08-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Man that sucks. Big guys have a lot more trouble recovering from that than average sized guys do. I hope he recovers.

Tom

Ambridge
08-08-2006, 05:37 PM
ouch! this isnt good. especially on passing on a potential 10 -15 year starter in nick mangold for a wr. hopefully we dont need okolbi this year (he still isnt better than hartings) and he will be ready to go when hartings retires (next year). marvin philip could possibly step in, in a crunch, and hold the fort down if hartings gets injured.

I feel your pain Chucki.........Get better soon.
I suffered a similar injury a few years ago with a herniated disc in my back.
The pain was absolutely ungodly.

Who were the people poo-pooing taking Nick Mangold first in the draft??
Step right on up and admit it.
The Steelers could have had him and they take "Kordell" Holmes instead.:dang:
So much for the Steelers promising Chucki the Center job after Hartings retires.

Livinginthe past
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I must admit having read Cowhers comments it doesn't look at all good.

Coaches normally veer towards cautious optimism in these injury cases - so to hear him say that it could be a career-ender is terrible.

Hope this pans out a little better tomorrow or whenever we get the hospital report - at this stage out for the season would be a good result.

NM

Lyn
08-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I Hope he is going to be ok and if cant play football, at least live a normal, happy life.

SteelerMurf
08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Didn't Simmons have some center experience in college. Maybe that would be the move if Hartings got hurt?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-08-2006, 08:57 PM
first off i would like to wish Okobi and his family the best...Hope he has a full recover no matter if it season or career ending....
As far as depth...Hartings is getting old so we need to start looking for a valuable back up.

SteelerMurf
08-08-2006, 09:24 PM
first off i would like to wish Okobi and his family the best...Hope he has a full recover no matter if it season or career ending....
As far as depth...Hartings is getting old so we need to start looking for a valuable back up.

too late this year unless they want to get a scrub backup like Cleveland just did.

I say they keep Philips and attempt to develop him, if we need another center this year it will probably be Simmons.

CantStop85
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
A slipped disc for a center could be devastating...I don't see him coming back from this one. But my best wishes go to him for a full recovery.

Prosdo
08-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow, what horrible news. My best wishes go out to Okobi. Injuries like this are horrible.

19ward86
08-09-2006, 12:04 AM
this sux cause im a huge chukki fan, like plenty of the steelers lineman a late draft pick gone terrible awesome. if someone thinks that marvin philips will take place of okobi i think they are crazy. i think he is our future starter.

Indy_Steelers
08-09-2006, 05:32 AM
Chucki Okobi is one of my favorite Steelers. In large part because I am from Indiana and watched him play at Purdue. He was the center for Drew Brees. I remember sitting just two rows behind him at the Purdue spring scrimmage his senior year and said hey. Who knew that the next Saturday the Steelers would draft him? He was a leader at Purdue. In the Ohio State game his senior year Drew Brees threw 4 or 5 interceptions and Chucki help Drew keep his focus. Then Drew came out on Purdue's last drive with about a minute and a half to go and threw a 64 TD pass the Seth Morales. He was part of one of the greatest teams Purdue ever had. They went tot the Rose Bowl that year. Purdue fans used to call him Obi Wan Okobi. Here is hoping you get well enough to play from all of us at www.indysteelers.com. Boiler Up! By the way, Chukky Okobi was born in Pittsburgh.

X-Terminator
08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I heard about this on the way home from camp last night. This is not good news at all, and I wish him the best of luck in his recovery.

Midnightwriter07
08-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I hope Okobi gets better too.. Phillips ( who the Steelers took in the draft will take his place and do fine, he was an All American who has had a good camp.

Ward86MVP
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Chukky, if you see this, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
We have three rookie centers this year with tow of them likely to make the team...Marvin Phillips and Grayling Love...and lets not forget...Harting was a guard before he came to Pittsburgh, so dont rule out our having someone make the transition

SteelerFanInCA
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Damn, not good news at all. I hope everything works out in the end for Chuki.

HometownGal
08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
I heard on KDKA a little while ago that Chukky had a successful surgery and the team is not ruling out him being able to resume his career next season. While it looks like he will definitely miss the 2006 season, this is encouraging news. No link available as of this moment, sorry.

Get Well Soon Chukky! :smile:

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Outlook better for Steelers' Okobi
Wednesday, August 09, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Backup center Chukky Okobi had surgery today to repair a herniated disk in his neck and the Steelers are optimistic the injury is not as bad as first feared.

Less than 24 hours after saying Okobi's injury could be career-threatening, Coach Bill Cowher said today it is possible Okobi could even return to play this season, possibly in eight weeks, pending the results of the surgery.

"It may not be as bad as I thought," Cowher said. "We're hopeful."

The surgery was performed by team neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Maroon

tony hipchest
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
With Okobi down, and perhaps out, the backup center chores fall to sixth-round draft pick Marvin Philip, a 6-foot-1, 307-pound center from Cal.

Asked if Philip had distinguished himself, Cowher replied, "He's going to have to; that's where we're at."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_465271.html

seems like cowher will rely on the rookie. im not too worries. weve seen good teams like the pats lose offensive linemen and plug in their replacement and be fine.

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hell, we've done it in the past with Ross and Vincent. They both stepped up to plate just fine if I recall correctly. We'll be fine IMO.

BlackNGold203
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I think we'll be OK...but depending on how the rookie does in the preseason...I'm sure Colbert is keeping his eye on the waiver wire....:cool:

SteelerFanInCA
08-09-2006, 05:57 PM
If you look at the bottom part of this article it mentions that Chukky could be back by mid season. Not sure if there is any truth to it.

"Backup center Chukky Okobi will miss the rest of camp after undergoing an operation Wednesday to repair a herniated disk in his neck. But after Cowher suggested Tuesday the injury might be career-threatening, it now appears Okobi could be ready to play by midseason."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_465416.html

BlackNGold203
08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
If you look at the bottom part of this article it mentions that Chukky could be back by mid season. Not sure if there is any truth to it.

"Backup center Chukky Okobi will miss the rest of camp after undergoing an operation Wednesday to repair a herniated disk in his neck. But after Cowher suggested Tuesday the injury might be career-threatening, it now appears Okobi could be ready to play by midseason."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_465416.html

Saw that on the P-G today....he may only miss 8 weeks!!!

How cool would that be???

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-09-2006, 06:12 PM

Just heard the same thing this is GREAT NEWS!!! It was looking pretty bad yesterday but today is another day!!!

:bouncy:

SteelerFanInCA
08-09-2006, 06:13 PM

That would be cool. I guess I will never understand these initial medical diagnosis that are made when injuries come into play. :dang:

83-Steelers-43
08-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Steelers' depth at center may get them through Okobi injury

By The Associated Press
Thursday, August 10, 2006

Rookie offensive lineman Marvin Philip is a lot more valuable to the Pittsburgh Steelers than he was when training camp opened less than two weeks ago.

Philip didn't figure in the Steelers' immediate plans when they drafted the former California center in the sixth round in June. Jeff Hartings, their center since 2001, figures to play at least one more season and is under contract for two seasons. And Hartings' backup and expected replacement, Chukky Okobi, agreed to a $10 million, four-year contract earlier his year.

Still, Philip played at a higher level than most sixth-round draft picks -- he was an All-American at Cal -- and he gave the Steelers some insurance in case something happened to either Hartings or Okobi.

That something happened Wednesday, when Okobi had surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck. He is expected to be able to play again -- coach Bill Cowher was worried Tuesday the injury might be career-threatening -- but probably not until midseason.

Because the starters rarely play extended stretches during the preseason, Philip now figures to see substantially more playing time in the four exhibition games than he might have expected.

"It doesn't change the way I focus and the way I prepare myself, because I've got a chip on my shoulder and I'm out here to do the best I can," Philip said Wednesday. "There are a lot of doubters, a lot of people who say I'm too small or not strong enough to play in the NFL. I thought I'd be able to go higher (in the draft), but it worked out perfectly. I'm here and I'm ready to go."

At 6-foot-1, he is a couple of inches smaller than many NFL linemen, and it may have been one reason Philip fell to the sixth round. But, at 24, he is older than most NFL rookies and, he thinks, more focused than many players coming out of college.

"The maturity definitely helps in learning the offense and in being disciplined in a lot of areas," he said.

No doubt that AFC Central rival Cleveland wishes it had the Steelers' depth at center. The Browns have lost their top two centers, LeCharles Bentley (knee injury) and Bob Hallen (left camp) since camp began. They may start the season with a center, Alonzo Ephraim, who was unsigned late in July.

Philip sat out two seasons at Cal to go on a Mormon mission and thus came into the league several years older than most rookies. Steelers backup defensive lineman Chris Hoke also went on a mission while at Brigham Young and, despite being undrafted out of college, has stayed in the league since 2001.

"It's unfortunate that Chukky went down, but I'm ready. That's what I've been here to do, to go out and prepare myself to play," Philip said. "I think I've made strides. My main thing was to come here and compete, it wasn't what anybody else was going to do or if Jeff was going to retire, it was about all what I can do."

Philip said Hartings has been very helpful in getting him adjusted to camp and learning the Steelers' system.

"Every time I get a chance, even when we're on the field, I try to ask him questions about certain techniques or blocking schemes and he helps out a lot," Philip said.

Asked if Philip is ready to go Saturday against Arizona, Hartings said, "We'll find out."

Philip doesn't seem worried that he might be overwhelmed by the more complex offensive and defensive systems in the NFL and the higher quality of competition.

"My whole thing was to make this team and gain a spot," he said. "It (Okobi's injury) doesn't affect me at all, it means more playing time on Saturday, but it doesn't affect the way I play."

83-Steelers-43
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Just reported on Stan Savern that Okobi practiced today and will play some against Carolina.

Livinginthe past
08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow that is great news.

It was looking bad there for a while - we went from career over to actually appearing in a pre-season game.

I thought the worst when even Cowher didn't put a positive spin on the news.

NM

Midnightwriter07
08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
since Simmons has been doing some emergency center spots, i wonder if this means Phillip is off to the practice squad , i mean to the Browns

nicesteel4life
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
This final 53 man roster is getting more interesting, everyday.
Awesome to See Okobi getting back out there already, I know it's a relieve
to the Steelers orginbization as well as Hartings....and Simmons