PDA

View Full Version : Doing much better w/o Marcus Gilbert in the line up?

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 01:23 AM
has his fat lazy ass been spotted around the facility yet?

not that i care...

we have had three 100+ yard rushers and 3 straight wins (with no OL injuries) since he has last been heard from (all while being repleced by a rookie).

coincidence?

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 01:30 AM
i honestly think adams is making big strides but he's not better than gilbert atm. I think gilbert would have done a better job against new york's DE's, BUT our running game has been much tougher since adams took over. coincidence? who knows. I really think the progress in our running game is more attributed to colon becoming more comfortable at LG

with that said, the chemistry the o-line is building right now is huge, almost to the point where I don't think gilbert will be back in the starting lineup barring injury. why change what's become a good thing?

with that said I was hoping for a stronger performance from our line in the pass-blocking game, but wasn't surprised that the NY d-line got their plays in (their front 4 are the best in the NFL at getting to the QB). Just shows that although our line has been playing well, they still have something to take from this game to improve on.

PhantomJB93
11-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Yeah Adams hasn't been perfect but I'm not touching this Oline unless somebody gets injured. Adams will only get better and Gilbert wasn't doing THAT much better when he was healthy. Even when DeCastro comes back I'd just keep him as a healthy backup in case anyone goes down, Foster has been doing just fine on the inside.

Steelersfan87
11-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Gilbert has not allowed a sack, and he's never had issues in the running game. Yes, it is a coincidence that the running game has picked up with him out. Now, does that mean I put Gilbert back in when he's healthy if the line continues to gel like this? No. Well, not unless Mike Adams continues to give up 2 sacks a game.

BlockMonsta
11-05-2012, 04:12 AM

not that i care...

we have had three 100+ yard rushers and 3 straight wins (with no OL injuries) since he has last been heard from (all while being repleced by a rookie).

coincidence?

Lol "fat lazy ass" haha unlike you he is on an nfl roster, not with 30k plus post on an Internet fourm! Haha

I say Adams is playing well, keep with him

Stairway to 7
11-05-2012, 06:17 AM

not that i care...

coincidence?

Coincidence?

Absolutely.

How is he lazy?

Terminator
11-05-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm honestly terrified of him coming back. Pretty soon he is going to fall on Ben and break his leg.

BKAnthem
11-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I hope he's in the weight room, with Mike Adams right next to him...I love Adams but he has to get stronger...

steelfury02
11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
if Arians subliminal messaging has anything to say to Kugler and co, it would be to go directly against what had been working to "fool" everyone, including themselves.

drucifer
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Let The Terminator ride the pine, O-line is gellin' like a felon.

steelfury02
11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
The Terminator, spot on. He needs some serious time with balancing exercises:
http://images.medicinenet.com/images/kneeflex.GIF

fansince'76
11-05-2012, 09:41 AM
i honestly think adams is making big strides but he's not better than gilbert atm. I think gilbert would have done a better job against new york's DE's,

At least Adams hasn't been falling into the legs of his teammates like a klutz.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I hope he's in the weight room, with Mike Adams right next to him...I love Adams but he has to get stronger...

Yes, I agree. The sack that Adams gave up, I instantly thought he wasnt sitting low in his stance and didnt strike Tuck in the chestplate with a good punch. If Adams were stronger, he jolts Tuck and then by sitting lower he is on the balls of his feet and ready to close the inside move with a power step. It will come in time.....I am sure of it.

As for Gilbert, I think he has great upside and may be better suited to the LT position. I don't see him as fat and lazy, but also think he is a young guy that needs to play under control.

I have harped on Max Starks being a disappointing slug ever since his 3rd year with the team, when he seemed to stop working and improving. Yesterday he played a very technically sound game. He was balanced in his movement, didnt overreact to the outside speed moves and closed down an inside rush that allowed Ben to convert a 3rd down.

I think that is the best NFL game I have ever seen Max Starks play.

teegre
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Coincidence?

Absolutely.

How is he lazy?

After his injury, he sort of just disappeared from the facility (as opposed to players like Troy & AB, who show up & work on other parts of their game, while rehabbing).

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
After his injury, he sort of just disappeared from the facility (as opposed to players like Troy & AB, who show up & work on other parts of their game, while rehabbing).

thank you. his good pal markice gilbert also had to call him out on his study habits and work ethic as a rookie as well. im just kinda pissed at him and think hes kind of a turd. i agree with gonzo that he should be the LT hier appearant to max starks, as max (if he continues to stay healthy) may finally earn a decent multi-year contract elsewhere. plus gilbert will have nobody to fall into on the left of him.

with that being said, the steelers are finally getting attention to how large (and good) our o-line is.

the 92-95 cowboys had the largest o-line in the league. they were virtually impenetrable and they paved the way for emmits rushing titles and the teams superbowl runs.

our line are beasts like that! im not talking warm weather wildebeasts, or a gnu beast or, oxen beast, or buffalo beast, but a freaking wooly mammoth beast, carved straight out of the ice in iceland!

BEASTS! [plural]

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
im expecting a lot out of adams next year, an offseason in the weight room will do him a lot of good imo

Millers the sh!t
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I preffer Gilbert to Adams any day. I know the kid is still learning but Adams gives me nightmares when hes playing. I think Adams was responsible for 80% of all Ben's pressure yesterday. I feel strongly that Adams will be responsible for Ben getting blasted into an injury this season. That would make me cry...

On a positive note. I feel that this new offense can easily be ran effectively with any of our backups. Kind of like when Brady went down and matt cassel came in and showed the world how overrated Brady is and that anyone can do his job.

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
im expecting a lot out of adams next year, an offseason in the weight room will do him a lot of good imo

that's exactly what I was hoping for from Gilbert last year, hopefully Gilbert and Adams both continue to improve and become our bookend OTs for many years to come.

Millers the sh!t
11-05-2012, 11:49 AM
thank you. his good pal markice gilbert also had to call him out on his study habits and work ethic as a rookie as well. im just kinda pissed at him and think hes kind of a turd. i agree with gonzo that he should be the LT hier appearant to max starks, as max (if he continues to stay healthy) may finally earn a decent multi-year contract elsewhere. plus gilbert will have nobody to fall into on the left of him.

with that being said, the steelers are finally getting attention to how large (and good) our o-line is.

the 92-95 cowboys had the largest o-line in the league. they were virtually impenetrable and they paved the way for emmits rushing titles and the teams superbowl runs.

our line are beasts like that! im not talking warm weather wildebeasts, or a gnu beast or, oxen beast, or buffalo beast, but a freaking wooly mammoth beast, carved straight out of the ice in iceland!

BEASTS! [plural]

That post got me fired up Tony. I can't wait for next weeks game.

But I think Greenland has the ice, not Iceland.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Not since Bruce Arians invented global warming as part of his evil plot to melt Greenland's ice and erradicate the world of BEASTLY Run Blocking O linemen. I'm surprised he hasnt tied a damsel to a railway track yet. :noidea:

truesteelerfan
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
I still like Gilbert better when healthy - Too often we need to keep Heath in there with Adams - it won't always be this way hopefully, but it is now. Would love to see Heath have the ability to head out for a catch every passing play because our RT can block one on one.

tanda10506
11-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I think the attitude is what changed on the O line. Pouncey and Starks are proven lineman, and as Tony mentioned, they are all huge, so I don't think changing RT alone was what made the BIG difference. As Colon said, they realized that they needed to play much better to be winners, and the attitude difference is visible. They are coming off the line fast and totally mauling the opposing D line on running plays. This is the line I expected with DeCastro and Adams reaching their full potential, yet it's already there with Adams still learning and DeCastro out. As for making a change, both players need development so it's a tough call, and I do think Gilbert is better at this time, but I wouldn't fix what isn't broke. Adams is playing well and will keep getting better and he hasn't injured any of his teamates, so keep him in. Somebody is going to get hurt anyway, I'd like to think not but you can't slam 1500lbs of man into another 1200lbs of man all year and not get hurt.

Darkstorm05
11-05-2012, 02:29 PM
The way we have the line right now is the way it needs to be. If Decastro comes back good, then we swap him in, but otherwise it's in our best interests to keep Adams in there to soak up experience while he has solid play around him. This way he elarns and builds confidence. Yea, he'll screw up at times, but it's all part of playing a rookie. It'll pay off soon enough.

GMU Steeler
11-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I dunno but Adams is starting to really grow on me at RT.

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I dunno but Adams is starting to really grow on me at RT.

Adams has done well in run blocking but he cannot continue to give up two sacks a game, although I'll admit Justin Tuck and JPP are tough guys to go against.

Millers the sh!t
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Man, I wish I could see what you guys see in Adams. I honestly don't see anything positive out of this guy. All I ever see is a guy who routinely misses his assignment and if there ain't a TE in there to support him then I see Ben getting sacked or dancing to avoid a sack. I think Adams needs a full season under his belt before I even start to trust this guy.

Bayz101
11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Man, I wish I could see what you guys see in Adams. I honestly don't see anything positive out of this guy. All I ever see is a guy who routinely misses his assignment and if there ain't a TE in there to support him then I see Ben getting sacked or dancing to avoid a sack. I think Adams needs a full season under his belt before I even start to trust this guy.

He's a rookie, did you expect him to play lights out? He misses blocks every now and then, but that's something you expect from a guy who was viewed as a project player who'd be a decent backup in a couple years. Bottom line is that he's a GREAT run-blocker, and his excellence in that part of the game seems to be contributing to our running backs performances. The run game wasn't very good until Adams came in. Keep in mind that he's a rookie and that he went up against arguably one of the NFL's best defensive lines and managed to keep Ben upright far more than he ever stayed on his feet under Bruce Arians all of last year. Mad props to the rookie for his hard work and excellent blocking. He'll be a great starter one day, and I for one can't wait.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Three running backs get over 100 yards since Adams replaced Gilbert - I do not believe that is a complete coincidence.

More importantly, no other O-linemen have had their knee taken out by the RT collapsing on their leg since Gilbert left the lineup:thumbsup:

Millers the sh!t
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
8.He's a rookie, did you expect him to play lights out? He misses blocks every now and then, but that's something you expect from a guy who was viewed as a project player who'd be a decent backup in a couple years. Bottom line is that he's a GREAT run-blocker, and his excellence in that part of the game seems to be contributing to our running backs performances. The run game wasn't very good until Adams came in. Keep in mind that he's a rookie and that he went up against arguably one of the NFL's best defensive lines and managed to keep Ben upright far more than he ever stayed on his feet under Bruce Arians all of last year. Mad props to the rookie for his hard work and excellent blocking. He'll be a great starter one day, and I for one can't wait.

Trust me Bayz, I can't wait either. I hope he turns out to be fantastic. I understand he's s rookie. But there is something very clumsy about him and I have issues trusting him, way mote issues than I had with Gilbert starting, or other rookies in the past.. I'm gonna re watch the game tonight Bayz while my wife is at school.

I think a lot of Ben staying upright has more to do with the new.offense, and I think that the success of out run game has more to do with the fact that WE simply just run the ball and PRACTICE running the ball more than we did with Airhead. Also maybe our online isn't as gassed cause they arent pass blocking for 6 seconds 3/4 plays anymore. I think there are A LOT of changes that were made since last season for any of us to really pin point what may have worked better than the other. All I'm glad about is that its working Bayz. I'm having a hard on for this years team. WE are getting out swagger back and I haven't felt confident about ou
r team like I am now since 2008.

jjpro11
11-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't see it being mentioned too often, but moving Willie Colon to guard has done wonders for this oline. I know fans have been calling for that move for years. I realize we couldn't even attempt it the past couple years with his injuries, but the guys looks right at home in the guard position. The penalties, specifically false starts, are way down from him because he doesn't have to worry about the speed of outside rushers getting a step on him. His first step off the line was probably the weakest part of his game, and he always tried to overcompensate for it by getting an early start. Now that he doesn't have to worry about that as much, he can just focus on his blocking assignment and plowing through everything in his path. The guys was built to be a road grading guard.

TheVet
11-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Gilbert was playing quite badly this year before his injury; it was a disappointing regression from his rookie year. Although Adams has been beaten a number of times in pass blocking, I haven't seen any drop-off at all vs. Gilbert. Gilbert has been beaten fairly regularly, and he seemed to be the weakest link in the starting line. Adams is also a better run blocker than Gilbert. Most importantly, Adams seems to be consistently trying to give his best; not so much with Gilbert.

Hopefully Adams will get lots of reps, and we can all watch his growth as a player. Meanwhile, the coaches need to deal with whatever is happening with Gilbert's head, and get him back on track.

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 03:44 PM

i'm sure gilbert would have gotten beat a couple times by JPP and tuck as well. they aren't the kind of players you can erase from the stat sheet. this is something adams can take as a learning experience and get better from

jjpro11
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
We actually generated more pressure on Eli than the Giants did on Ben... Who can honestly say they saw that coming at the beginning of the season? Or even just a couple weeks ago?

TheVet
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Colon has made a big difference the past three games. He's playing great right now!

I gotta admit, I was losing faith in Willie over the first 5 games. The talent and aggression was always there, but he was just killing the team with his ridiculous penalties and inability to learn the snap count. When Pouncey was down, I remember jokingly thinking "Well, we know that OT isn't his natural position, and it looks like he's not gonna cut it at OG - so let's try him at center!"

But something seems to have clicked for Willie, the way we were all hoping it would back in training camp when he moved to OG!

tony hipchest
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

:laughing: even better then... :muhaha: they are like wooly mammoth captaining viking ship beasts. ironic that iceland is covered in green and greenland is covered in ice. who $#%^ed that one up?

Not since Bruce Arians invented global warming as part of his evil plot to melt Greenland's ice and erradicate the world of BEASTLY Run Blocking O linemen. I'm surprised he hasnt tied a damsel to a railway track yet. :noidea:

...completely BEASTLY!

im not talking about "Beauty and the Beast" or the creature from "Where the Wild Things Are, or Snuffaluppagus beast, or even the strange giant red hairy monster that looks like a lineman from the 50's in the bugs bunny cartoons...

Im talking about some 40 feet long, prehistoric deep sea beast that has not yet been seen by human eyes.

not make believe beasts like loch ness monster, sasquatch, or chupacabra.

straight up BEAST! (hell, even Malecki is a beast in waiting).