PDA

View Full Version : No chance vs Chiefs

Vis
11-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Not anymore. Crennel has removed himself as DC

Crennel removes himself as Chiefs’ defensive coordinator

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2012/11/01/23/37/GNxpD.Em.81.jpeg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2012/11/01/23/37/GNxpD.St.81.jpeg)
DAVID EULITT
Romeo Crennel

In a series of moves Monday, Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel removed himself as the team’s defensive coordinator, promoting linebackers coach Gary Gibbs to take his place.

The Chiefs also waived cornerback Stanford Routt and signed former defensive lineman Shaun Smith.

Smith, who played with the Chiefs in 2010, signed with the team today. His contract is for the final eight games of the season.

The addition of Smith could be paired with a roster move involving defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, who reinjured his calf in last week’s game against San Diego. Dorsey missed the previous four games and played against the Chargers before leaving the game for good with the injury.

Smith was one of the more popular players while he was with the Chiefs because of his outgoing personality. He played in all 16 games for the Chiefs in 2010, starting 10. He left after the season to sign with Tennessee, where he played last year.

Smith had not played in the NFL this season.

He previously played for New Orleans, Cleveland and Cincinnati in his nine-year NFL career

Vis
11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
If he fires himself as HC, they may shut us out.

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
If he fires himself as HC, they may shut us out.

:rofl::rofl:

their defense isn't the problem imo. it's cassel and their offense's inability to score and be consistent. maybe they shouldn't have fired haley :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
11-05-2012, 03:36 PM
When a coach says, "I'm not sure why [Jamal] Charles only got the ball 5 times." your team has serious, serious issues. It's not the defense, it's the fact that Romeo doesn't have a clue how to run an NFL team.

Millers the sh!t
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
This thread cracked me up man........ Lol thanks for the laugh.

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Hold your nose when these Chiefs play

BY SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2012/11/01/23/22/spfOT.Em.81.jpeg

Chiefs defensive end Tyson Jackson couldn't watch the final seconds of Thursday's loss.

SAN DIEGO -- Keep in mind the Chargers stink too, guys. Their quarterback turns it over too much, their roster is declining and their coach will probably soon be fired. But the Chargers’ is a more conventional brand of stink.

The NFL smells the Chargers’ kind of stink all the time, and it’s a significant stink. But by now we all know there is nothing quite as putrid as the Chiefs’ reliably rotten stink. We’re part of history here, you know: An up-close look at the kind of relentless, tenacious, opening-kickoff-to-final-whistle, never-take-a-snap-off stink against which all future generations of terrible teams will be judged.

This fireable offense of a Chiefs season made its prime-time debut on Thursday night, every misstep and fumble and failure of a 31-13 loss to the (not quite as) sorry Chargers broadcast in high-definition to what we can assume was a horrified national audience.

This season is so far noteworthy for the historic achievement of going half a season without holding a lead in regulation, and for turning Romeo Crennel from a dignified and accomplished man to one painfully without answers about how he steered a talented team into oncoming traffic.

“Nah,” he says when asked if the team is a week closer to hopelessness.

The Chiefs are not just the worst team in the NFL. They’re building a case as one of the worst in modern NFL history — especially if the overmatched head coach is allowed to keep trying to fix things with silly signs telling his guys to PLAY GOOD FOOTBALL.

The only drama left is whether the Chiefs will ever lead a game, and when owner Clark Hunt will break his silence to fire a coach who looks clueless and a general manager who obsesses over everything but quarterbacks.

Sickening and disgusting. The Chiefs are clearly not gladiators.

You surely know the incredible fact that has come to define this group of underachieving, badly coached and micromanaged losers: They haven’t held a lead in any part of their first eight games, the first team to be so thoroughly overmatched since at least 1929.

That’s nineteen-twenty-nine — the year of the (original) stock market crash. To give you an idea, in 1929, the NFL included teams in Frankford, Pa.; Staten Island, N.Y.; and Dayton, Ohio.

This is achievement of incompetence is at once both stunning and unfathomable. Even the winless Lions of 2008 managed a few leads. Actually, by this point in their flawlessly inept season, the Lions had leads in four games — including three in the fourth quarter. That team had occasional hope. This one squashes such silliness at every opportunity.

To do what the Chiefs are doing requires a perfect conspiracy of unpreparedness, ineffectiveness and whatever is the complete opposite of surgical focus — stoner focus, maybe?

You have to do things like be outscored 61-6 in the first quarter — a pretty good sign the coaches are in over their heads — while still being able to channel your substantial failures at just the wrong times.

You need a quarterback like Matt Cassel to fumble the snap at the goal line with your team threatening to take a lead against the Ravens. You need a punt returner like Javier Arenas to whiff an easy catch at precisely the wrong moment to throw momentum to the Raiders.

And you can afford to have a talented receiver like Dwayne Bowe, but only if the bulk of his production comes on garbage drives at the ends of blowouts — extra credit if he makes a fool of himself by pointing to the name on the back of his jersey — and you can count on him to fumble near the red zone when the score is close against the Chargers.

You need one quarterback who has as many or more turnovers than all but one NFL team (not including his own) and another one who is worse. You need an offense that can put together 17-play drives without scoring.

You need a team in such disarray that the star running back gets 39 touches in one game and five carries in another, the head coach openly and repeatedly says he doesn’t know what’s going on, and the owner stays silent behind the scenes trying to decide when to step in.

You need a team that’s become such a punch line in some football circles that the coach who got fired last year is jokingly called “Vince Lombardi with a dirty cap” by one personnel man while comparing the current carnage.

Kansas City sports fans have taken some misguided criticism this fall, but maybe now the football world can see what drives people to fly banners over the stadium calling for the general manager to be fired.

That’s looking more and more likely, by the way. Hunt doesn’t want to fire Scott Pioli, but he doesn’t like to be embarrassed either. The Chiefs are now nine days from what looks to be an ugly Monday night loss in Pittsburgh as Todd Haley presumably pushes his Steelers offense to score a thousand points.

Remember that a week ago, the Chargers lost to the Browns and the week before that blew a 24-point lead at home. The Raiders lost four of their first six games before beating the Chiefs, and the Bucs lost 12 of their previous 13 before beating the Chiefs.

This isn’t a football team — it’s a slump buster in pads.

The Chiefs, with a thorough, consistent and no-snaps-off incompetence that the league has never seen, can no longer be talked about in a serious manner. Not until Hunt takes serious action, anyway.

Maybe the next coach can call a play with the lead. Maybe the next general manager will worry more about the quarterback than candy wrappers.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/02/3897097/sam-mellinger-hold-your-nose-when.html#storylink=cpy

jjpro11
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I am never one to get overconfident with upcoming games.. I always try to set myself up for a possible Steelers loss.. I realize the Chiefs have played us very tough the past several times, but I can't help but think the Chiefs are walking into a buzzsaw Monday night. The Steelers always bring their A-game for Monday night home games. The Steelers are playing very well right now; while the Chiefs are playing like the worst team in the league. Haley had to have this one circled on his calendar. He and the Chiefs had a nasty split. It would be extremely gratifying for him to humiliate the Chiefs in front of a national audience. I am sure the offense will buy into that as well. Not only that, but he knows every player on that team, what they are capable of, and what their tendencies are.

It would be one hell of a shocker if we came out and laid an egg, even with Baltimore looming the next week. Everyone will be throwing out the phrase "trap game," but I don't see it with the unique set of circumstances at play.

Atlanta Dan
11-05-2012, 04:33 PM
My bet is Antonio Brown (and maybe Woodley) sit next Monday night - the main event is on the following Sunday night

WVABE
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Who ever scheduled all these night games, I would love to punch em right in the face.

Fire Arians
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
That’s looking more and more likely, by the way. Hunt doesn’t want to fire Scott Pioli, but he doesn’t like to be embarrassed either. The Chiefs are now nine days from what looks to be an ugly Monday night loss in Pittsburgh as Todd Haley presumably pushes his Steelers offense to score a thousand points.

I sure hope that happens :chuckle:

BowCatShot
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
No matter who the coach is, no matter how many high quality players they get through the draft, Kansas City always has a crappy team. Always. That points to an ownership problem and just cannot be fixed until/unless the team gets sold. The browns are starting to fit this mold too.

Hawaii 5-0
11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
[B]That’s looking more and more likely, by the way. Hunt doesn’t want to fire Scott Pioli, but he doesn’t like to be embarrassed either.

I have a friend who lives in KC and he said the fan base mostly blames Scott Pioli for their sad current state and that Hunt is going to have to eventually fire him if he hopes to win the fans back.

Lokki
11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Who ever scheduled all these night games, I would love to punch em right in the face.

I'm enjoying the night games. It means that I get more of them televised in my area. :tt02:

steelax04
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
None of this matters. This is such a TRAP game if I've ever seen it.

Steelers will lose by at least 20.

......c'mon bite.

StainlessStill
11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Projected stats for Matt Cassel:

25/32, 368 yards, 4 TD's, 1 rushing touchdown.

SteelersCanada
11-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Projected stats for Matt Cassel:

25/32, 368 yards, 4 TD's, 1 rushing touchdown.

:chuckle:

In all seriousness, I'd say 12/28 174 yards 0 TDs and 3 picks.

ZoneBlitzer
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
This is the NFL and there's no way to take these Chiefs lightly. Steelers tend to play down to the competition. This will be a big test for them to see if they can beat the stiffs outright instead of clinging on for dear life like they did against the Raiders and Titans.

MasterOfPuppets
11-06-2012, 12:09 AM
the chiefs will end up drafting matt barkley. he will turn out to be a mark sanchez clone. just another over rated USC quarterback that can't play at the nfl level.

CanuckCurtain
11-06-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm enjoying the night games. It means that I get more of them televised in my area. :tt02:

same here:tt04:

steelfury02
11-06-2012, 09:56 AM
just win, and just stay H_E_A_L_T_H_Y

FanSince72
11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
None of this matters. This is such a TRAP game if I've ever seen it.

Steelers will lose by at least 20.

......c'mon bite.

"Trap" games may mean something to a team that is either still finding itself or is suffering from serious injury issues and has no real depth.

We may have been that team at some point but we've demonstrated that we're not that team anymore. We have plenty of depth and our injuries are not so devastating as to make us particularly vulnerable.

At this point - and especially after the Giant game - we have returned to the level of "Serious Contender" and as such should be licking our chops over games against teams like KC and we should not be thinking about being ambushed.
Put another way, do you really think that teams like the Pats or Green Bay or even Atlanta worry about "Traps"? I don't think so and neither should we. That doesn't mean that KC shouldn't be taken seriously, but rather that they should simply be regarded as "work to be done" and little more.

If we see teams such as KC as potential speed bumps or as some other threat to our success, then we are clearly not ready to be a "Serious Contender" at all.

I believe that we ARE a contender and that KC is not a threat.

KC is toast -- PERIOD!

steelfury02
11-06-2012, 11:14 AM
It would be nice to see a blowout at home again - feel like I haven't witnessed that in a while

LVSteelersfan
11-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Jamaal Charles will tear us a new one if they take them lightly. Focus on stopping the run. Cassel or Lady Quinn cannot beat us. But Charles and McCluster can.

FanSince72
11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Come on Man!

It's Kansas City

In OUR house!

Fire Arians
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
We're all gonna die

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcubhix5sN1ra90n2o1_500.png

SteelersCanada
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Come on Man!

It's Kansas City

In OUR house!

So much of this. It's at Heinz Field in primetime. There might be a chance for Kansas City to win if it was in Arrowhead feeding off their crowd, but it's not - it's in our home with Steelers Nation making it uncomfortable for Quinn / Cassel.

Plus, Taylor and Lewis have been shutting down WRs better than Bowe for the last three games. Stopping Jamal Charles has to be priority number 1 which means Hampton needs to continue the streak he's on of good games.

I'd also put money on Roethlisberger going for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. This one could get ugly.

Fire Arians
11-06-2012, 12:30 PM
So much of this. It's at Heinz Field in primetime. There might be a chance for Kansas City to win if it was in Arrowhead feeding off their crowd, but it's not - it's in our home with Steelers Nation making it uncomfortable for Quinn / Cassel.

Plus, Taylor and Lewis have been shutting down WRs better than Bowe for the last three games. Stopping Jamal Charles has to be priority number 1 which means Hampton needs to continue the streak he's on of good games.

I'd also put money on Roethlisberger going for over 400 yards and 4 TDs. This one could get ugly.

don't know, taylor always seems to lay eggs against receivers who aren't upper level. He goes from shutting down AJ green and other premier nfl receivers, then gets his lunch ate by demaryius thomas. if he played 16 games vs the steelers he'd be a lock for the hall of fame already

SteelersCanada
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
don't know, taylor always seems to lay eggs against receivers who aren't upper level. He goes from shutting down AJ green and other premier nfl receivers, then gets his lunch ate by demaryius thomas. if he played 16 games vs the steelers he'd be a lock for the hall of fame already

I really hope he keeps his confidence and the streak he's on though. He's been playing lights out for the last couple of games and if he brings that Ike Taylor to play against the Chiefs, he'll get more opportunities to make big plays and pick off whatever shmuck is at quarterback.

He'd also be a lock for the HOF if his hands weren't made of stone.

TRH
11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
....be very wary and extremely cautious of this game. Any team can beat any other on any given week in this league.

We all know the all-too familiar story with this team :
1-easy (at least what appears to be very easy) oppenent up next
2-we show up looking like we just got out of bed, standing around yawning, etc.
3-other team, with something to prove, kicks the crap out of us

How many times has this exact scenario unfolded?? WAY too many times than i'd like to count.

Hawaii 5-0
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
We're all gonna die

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcubhix5sN1ra90n2o1_500.png

that's funny...:chuckle:

jjpro11
11-06-2012, 07:20 PM
"Trap" games may mean something to a team that is either still finding itself or is suffering from serious injury issues and has no real depth.

We may have been that team at some point but we've demonstrated that we're not that team anymore. We have plenty of depth and our injuries are not so devastating as to make us particularly vulnerable.

At this point - and especially after the Giant game - we have returned to the level of "Serious Contender" and as such should be licking our chops over games against teams like KC and we should not be thinking about being ambushed.
Put another way, do you really think that teams like the Pats or Green Bay or even Atlanta worry about "Traps"? I don't think so and neither should we. That doesn't mean that KC shouldn't be taken seriously, but rather that they should simply be regarded as "work to be done" and little more.

If we see teams such as KC as potential speed bumps or as some other threat to our success, then we are clearly not ready to be a "Serious Contender" at all.

I believe that we ARE a contender and that KC is not a threat.

KC is toast -- PERIOD!

The Steelers should have the mentality of wanting to annihilate inferior teams like the Chiefs... Not just show up and get a W. The Pats over the years have rarely blown games like these because they come into them wanting to humiliate the other team. No margin of victory is ever good enough. Teams like the Steelers should want to dominate as much as possible. Their goal should be 35+ pts of offense and less than 10 pts on defense.

SquirrelHillSteelNut
11-06-2012, 10:58 PM

you and me both. grrrrrr!!!:mad:

TRH
11-07-2012, 08:09 AM

hey, i'm not complaining. The one GREAT thing about that is that they are all televised (which is great for us out-of-towners).
Hate it on Sundays when the Steelers games are unavailable.

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Haley "won't be afraid to run up the score" on the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 10

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/2821327/gyi0062469588.0_standard_500.0.jpg

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned at least a trace of animosity from current Steelers offensive coordinator and former Chiefs head coach as he prepares to face his old team in Week 10.

ESPN's Adam Schefter said on Sportscenter Wednesday Steelers offensive coordinator "won't be afraid to run up the score" on the Kansas City Chiefs - his former employer - when the teams face each other on Monday Night Football in Week 10.

It's hard to blame him. Unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the season, Haley was forced to take the brunt of the criticism regarding the Chiefs' bi-polar 2011 season, landing him in Pittsburgh.

Since then, the Steelers are enjoying an offense that's improving steadily each week, and is among the team's best rushing teams over the course of their three-game winning streak.

The Chiefs have gone in the opposite direction, coming into the game at 1-7, and having yet to hold a lead for a measurable amount of time. Their lone win came off a game-winning field goal over New Orleans in Week 3.

Haley's offense has yet to score more than 31 points, a tally that came in a 34-31 loss at Oakland in Week 3. Their new life on the ground seems to indicate a bit fewer points, but more time of possession in the grand scheme of things. Blowout or otherwise, Haley must also remember he was in charge of the team in 2009 and 2010, when the Chiefs upset the Steelers and came within one drive of defeating them at Heinz Field.

Showing up his former boss has to serve as quality motivation, but it's not likely Haley will break out the team's first vertical passing assault of the season. He'd also have to worry about what his new boss, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, would feel about that.

Perhaps, though, he just won't have Ben Roethlisberger take a knee if the Steelers are closing the game out inside the Chiefs' territory.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/7/3613654/steelers-chiefs-todd-haley-week-10-nfl-offense-revenge-statistics-scott-pioli

Bayz101
11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Nice display of the media putting words in peoples mouths right there.

Hawaii 5-0
11-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Hearing from the Chiefs: Crennel & Cassel

Head Coach Romeo Crennel

Re: Relationship with Todd Haley:
Our relationship goes way back to when I was with the New York Jets. That was the first time I met him and got to know him a little bit. I watched him work and then I followed his career throughout. We’ve had a good relationship the whole time.

Re: Haley’s offense being diverse:
That is something that he has always been able to do. He has a good offensive mind. When he was with the Arizona Cardinals they were able to get to the Super Bowl when he was their offensive coordinator. That’s just who he is, as far as the offense goes and what he tries to get done.

Re: The mood of the team:
We don’t like where we are but we are the ones who put ourselves in this position. What we are going to have to do is work our way out of it. That’s what I’ve been telling the team and what we’ve been trying to focus on. We’re trying to eliminate mistakes and trying to play better.

What has been missing from your defense and what do you see from the Steelers’ offense?
We have been giving up too many easy touchdowns on defense. If you look at our defense, particularly early in the year, we weren’t able to stop guys the way we needed to stop them. We are doing a little bit better at that as the season has gone on. The Steelers’ offense is a very good one. They are solid. They pulled out a big win on Sunday. That was huge for them. I think they will try to use that as a springboard for the second half of the season.

Re: Steelers’ defense:
They look pretty good to me. I’ve seen the Steelers’ defense for several years now. Dick LeBeau does a great job. He always gets his guys to play hard and he puts them in the right positions. You are going to have to play really good to beat them.

Re: QB situation:
We are going to have two of them out there. I am not ready to say right now who they are going to be. I am about to go talk to our local media here, and I will tell them first what I am going to do. Then you will be able to catch up on it after that.

Re: Switching from coordinator to head coach and back to coordinator:
It’s not really hard to do, because if you know football, you know football. Sometime the perception of your team is important. I think our situation and where we are, we have a young team. We have a lot of young players on both sides of the ball. I needed to work on that perception and get them to feel like I am coaching the whole team and not just the defense. That’s why I removed myself from the defensive coordinator role so I could concentrate on the whole team more.

Re: Similar situation you faced in Cleveland as Haley did in Kansas City last season compared to the Steelers and the way they handle their coaches:
Pittsburgh has been the poster for continuity. They’ve done a tremendous job from top to bottom. That’s why they are able to get good coaches that fit into their system and who can last to keep that continuity going. You know in the NFL and in today’s society, it’s an “I want it done yesterday” league. It’s gotten to that point, and if you can’t get it done right away, people look for changes and for something different. That is part of the beast that we have to deal with.

Re: Jonathan Baldwin’s career:
He got hurt and was injured his first year. Then he started off good this year and then once Dwayne Bowe got back into the fold, he took balls away from Baldwin, and rightfully so. Bowe is a very good football player. Baldwin is still working to improve and refine his game. He can be a big part of this team, and he will be going down the road.

Re: Haley’s reputation before coming to Pittsburgh:
Everybody has a different personality. I’ve known him for a long time, and I get along very well with him. I don’t know exactly what other people were saying or why they were saying what they were saying. Some people don’t like my personality. I can’t talk about anybody else’s.

Quarterback Matt Cassel

What do you see in the matchup with the Steelers this week that you may or may not have seen with them previously?
They have the same mentality. They’re a big, physical group. They’re the number one defense in all of football right now. When you play the Steelers, you’ve got to be ready for a really tough, physical football game. They’ve got a veteran group. All of these guys have played together for a long time with [Casey] Hampton, [Brett] Keisel, [LaMarr] Woodley, [Larry] Foote, [James] Harrison, [Ryan] Clark, and we’ll see if [Troy] Polamalu plays or not. I don’t know whether or not he’s going to play. Obviously, it’s a veteran group, they’re experienced, and they play well together.

How is WR Jon Baldwin developing?
I think he’s developing each and every week. I think that last year, for a lot of rookies, it was a tough year because they didn’t have an offseason coming in with OTAs or anything like that. He had the unfortunate accident in training camp where he broke his hand and was out for the first six weeks of the season. I think it was a tough year on him last year but to have the OTAs and the mini-camps and all that stuff this year, I think it really helped him in terms of technique and in developing both mentally and physically. Throughout the year I think he’s continued to work hard and continued to grow into that X position.

Re: The Chiefs season so far:
It has been a rollercoaster season. I don’t think any of those guys anticipated coming in and being where we’re at at the midway point of the season. We’ve done a lot of good but at the same time, in this game in the NFL, it comes down simply to turnovers, penalties and big plays. Anytime you have a lot of turnovers, you have a lot of penalties and you give up the big plays, it’s hard to win in this league and I think we’ve done a lot of that on both sides of the ball. We have to do a better job of protecting the football and that will help us immediately. [You have to] eliminate penalties because in this league if you get into third-and-long situations and guys know that you have to throw the ball it becomes a lot more difficult to pick-up that first down. And on the defensive side of the ball, we’ve got to eliminate the big plays in the pass game and also the run game and that will allow us to make teams drive the field a little bit more and give us a better chance to win.

How much input did Todd Haley have in the offense last year?
I think he had a lot of input. I know that he took a hands-on approach. He wasn’t in our meetings or anything like that but I know between him, Bill Muir, and also Jim Zorn, there was a lot of collaboration that took place between the three of those guys in terms of how the offense went last year for us.

Have you kept an eye on what Haley has done in Pittsburgh so far with the Steelers offense?
I haven’t because we’ve obviously got a lot going on over here that we’ve got to get fixed and figure out ourselves. I have been able to a see a few of their games here and there and obviously he’s done a great job with the offense and the offense is playing really well.

What kind of coach is Haley to play for?
I think Coach Haley is a demanding coach. He expects a lot out of his players and he’ll challenge you. He’s not afraid to get in your face and let you know and hold you accountable, I guess is the best way to put it.

Did you have a problem with Haley’s coaching style if he did get in your face?
There were probably times that I did but at the same time you also respect the process and respect the coaching that’s taking place. As a player, it’s your job to fix whatever the coach is saying and what he wants you to get accomplished and move forward.

What signs have you seen that the season could turn around for you guys?
We’re hoping every single week that we’re able to go in there and turn it around. With this group, I think that we’ve got a group that works hard and is determined to get this thing turned around. We’ve got talent on our football team, now it’s just bringing it together and playing a complete football game. I think that we really haven’t done that yet this year and it starts with just getting one win. If we can get that one win, it builds confidence and a confident man is a strong man. Then we can move forward from there.

How good is WR Dexter McCluster in the slot?
I think Dexter’s done a good job of developing in the slot. He worked hard this offseason learning the ins and outs of the position and reading the different coverages. I think that Dexter has tremendous ability with his quickness and his ability to uncover. There’s also a second side of that where he’s a little bit smaller so sometimes it’s challenging from a physical standpoint for him. At the same time, I think he’s developed and become a pretty dependable slot receiver for us.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hearing-from-the-Chiefs-Crennel--Cassel/34209b52-8806-44d3-a3b3-2ac9cfa18c97

ChristianKustomz
11-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Nice display of the media putting words in peoples mouths right there.

Agreed. The are always doing that. Kind of like that BS with Terry Bradshaw. He's not racist and it wasn't a racist comment but they forced him to appologize anyway.

Funny how the media will be so liberal and manipulate people into believing whatever they want to.

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 01:40 AM
I really couldn't care less if it's pretty or not...

Steelers Should Beat Chiefs But Will It Be Pretty?

Nov 7th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/11/6708010.jpg?40d436

The Steelers are beginning to stack some wins and are poised to push the pedal a bit more to the floor after beating the Giants and hitting the halfway point of the season in second place in the AFC North. The team faces off against the woeful Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night at Heinz Field. The Chiefs have struggled all season long and have yet to lead at any point in regulation this season. This bodes well for the men in Black & Gold, but don’t expect a win to be pretty, even if they do come ready to play.

The injury list is still littered, and as of Wednesday, the Steelers have already commented that Antonio Brown and Chris Rainey are shelved. Those potentially coming back (Marcus Gilbert and Jonathan Dwyer) might not be that effective. And of course, Troy Polamalu is still out (though good news with his is that he will be ready for the Ravens). The Steelers have started to find themselves a bit in a Polamalu’less world – perhaps a glance of the Steelers come 2015? The secondary has stepped up beautifully during Troy’s absence, and Dick Le’Beau seems to have found his defensive swag…. for now.

Even if Brown, Dwyer and Polamalu were cleared to play, I would hope that the coaching staff would keep them benched anyways. I don’t mean to disrespect the Chiefs, but with the way they are playing right now, this is a game that feels like a pre-playoff game where a team looks to rest players. With the Steelers getting ready to face the Ravens after the Chiefs, it seems that the Steelers should try and be as healthy as possible. The conundrum? The Steelers don’t want to lose momentum going into the Ravens game, and they certainly don’t want fall behind anymore in the standings in the AFC North.

Even with a slightly depleted squad who will look to rest players that might be in the ‘Questionable’ column, the Steelers have good odds at taking down the Chiefs. Home field advantage and an opposing team that ranks over 20th in rushing yards (22nd) and points (30th) give the Steelers a chance to have a strong run game and really control the clock. Redman will be back for his second start in a row, and should have an easy time averaging over 4 yards per carry. A Steeler who has yet to be mentioned for its offensive success is Ramon Foster. Foster is sitting strong at right guard as Marcus Gilbert and David DeCastro continue to heal on that right side. Colon has been downright impressive and Foster has been a great compliment on that interior.

He’s been able to create holes for the run game and help out rookie Mike Adams whenever he appears to be struggling on that edge.

I don’t know if the Steelers will rack up the 30 points that the Chiefs on average give up per game. Without Brown in the lineup, Cotchery will certainly need to step up as much as he did against the Giants last week. Even with a bit of deficiency in the offense, the Steelers should be able rack up a decent amount of points to get the win. The defense just needs to hold the anemic Chief offense and keep Cassel or Quinn on their back more than in the pocket.

I don’t know if the win will be a pretty one, but it’s not like it needs to be. The litmus for the character and talent of this team occurred last week against the Giants. The Steelers just need to get the win here against the Chiefs, come out with the least amount of bruises possible, and get ready for the huge rival game against the Ravens.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/07/steelers-should-beat-chiefs-but-will-it-be-pretty/

TRH
11-08-2012, 10:36 AM
although we should beat them handily, crush them even - it wouldn't surprise me to see us beat them by 1 point.
Its what this team has done for the last 3 years. Either beat the worst of the worst JUST barely - or even lose.

Vis
11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
31-10 Book it

WVABE
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I believe it will be much much closer. 24-23

Hawaii 5-0
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced Scouting: Chiefs

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/7b/c7b93d31-61f4-5f16-8ce4-c9f2238e4161/509b02eb799b0.preview-300.jpg

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel points to a friend on the sidelines prior to the start of the NFL game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012 in San Diego.

Thu Nov 8, 2012.
By Mike Bires

So just how bad are the Chiefs? Consider this: Not once during any of their eight games have they had a lead.

In their only win, a 27-24 overtime decision over the Saints in September, the Chiefs never led until kicker Ryan Succop booted a field goal with 6:27 left in OT.

“We don’t like where we are, but we are the ones who put ourselves in this position,” coach Romeo Crennel said. “We have to work our way out of it. That’s what I’ve been telling the team. We’re trying to eliminate mistakes and trying to play better.”

Today, Times NFL reporter Mike Bires takes a look at the hapless Chiefs (1-7), who are 12.5-point underdogs for their next game, a Monday night encounter against the Steelers (5-3) at Heinz Field.

OFFENSE

There are some talented players, namely RB Jamaal Charles and WR Dwayne Bowe. Charles ranks ninth in the NFL with 79.3 rushing yards per game. Bowe is tied for 13th with 45 catches. But collectively, the Chiefs are a disaster offensively.

They lead the NFL with 29 giveaways (15 fumbles, 14 interceptions). They’re giving the ball away 3.6 times per game.

“We’ve done a lot of good but at the same time, in this game in the NFL, it comes down simply to turnovers, penalties and big plays,” QB Matt Cassel said. “Anytime you have a lot of turnovers, you have a lot of penalties and you give up the big plays (defensively), it’s hard to win in this league.

“We have to do a better job of protecting the football.”

Cassel has been the main culprit when it comes to turnovers. He’s committed 18 of them -- 11 interceptions and seven lost fumbles.

Cassel was replaced two weeks ago by Brady Quinn. But before he was knocked out of the starting lineup with a concussion, Quinn served up three interceptions.

With Quinn still not cleared to play, Cassel will start against the Steelers.

One of Cassel’s targets will be WR Jon Baldwin (Aliquippa/Pitt). Baldwin, who’s only started two games this year, has caught 15 passes for 213 yards and no touchdowns.

DEFENSE

Defensively, the Chiefs might not be as pathetic as they are on offense. But they’re close.

They rank 30th by allowing 30.0 points per game. They’re last in yards allowed per pass attempt at 8.9 and tied for 29th in TD passes allowed with 17. They’re 26th in rushing yards allowed per attempt at 4.6.

No wonder Crennel fired himself as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator on Monday and turned over those duties to linebackers coach Gary Gibbs.

“We have a lot of young players on both sides of the ball. I needed to work on that perception and get them to feel like I am coaching the whole team and not just the defense,” Crennel said. “That’s why I removed myself from the defensive coordinator role so I could concentrate on the whole team more.”

Two of the Chiefs’ top two defenders are ILB Derrick Johnson and OLB Tamba Hali, both Pro Bowlers last year. Hali, an ex-Penn State star, has five sacks this year and 58.5 in his career.

The Chiefs’ sack leader this year is ILB Justin Houston with six.

Starting at nose tackle is rookie Dontari Poe, who the Steelers considered taking in the first round of this year’s draft.

THE COACH

Romeo Crennel, 65, may have received the kiss of death recently when Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli gave him a vote of confidence.

“I am still confident in Romeo as the day I hired him,” Pioli said.

Still, there’s speculation that if the Chiefs can’t turn things around or at least show some improvement, Crennel won’t last the year.

Pioli pulled the trigger and fired Todd Haley last year when the Chiefs were 5-8 after 13 games. In 2010, Haley’s second year on the job, the Chiefs won the AFC West with a 10-6 record.

“You know in the NFL and in today’s society, it’s an I-want-it-done-yesterday league,” Crennel said. “It’s gotten to that point, and if you can’t get it done right away, people look for changes and for something different. That is part of the beast that we have to deal with.”

Crennel’s claim to fame was his four-year stint from 2001-04 as the Patriots’ defensive coordinator. In three of those four years, the Patriots won the Super Bowl. In 2005, Crennel was hired as head coach of the Browns. He lasted four years in Cleveland, with one winning season (10-6 in 2007) and an overall record of 24-40.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/advanced-scouting-chiefs/article_68b57a05-739f-5121-ab52-8a2d3db98132.html

Lady Steel
11-09-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm sorry, but I just can't take any team seriously with a head coach of Romeo Crennel.
Steelers win this one big.

IowaSteeler927
11-09-2012, 05:47 AM
I just read somewhere that Ricky Stanzi hasn't necessarily been ruled out to possibly play in this game. They might be trying to make us think it's Matt Cassel and then hit us with someone different. I very highly doubt it, but with the way they've been playing they need a spark.

Before everyone laughs at Stanzi I grew up an Iowa Hawkeye fan. This guy was the comeback king in 2009 at Iowa, and statistically had his best season his senior year. I'm not saying that translates to the NFL necessarily, but the kid has moxie. I've been pulling for him to see some playing time though I don't think he'd have much of a chance against our defense.

FanSince72
11-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Anyone who watched the Colts/Jags game knows that we need to handle KC the way the Colts handled the Jags - and THEY did it on the road.

If we have trouble with KC, then we're not out of the woods yet.

TRH
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I just can't take any team seriously with a head coach of Romeo Crennel.

I hear ya. Whats with this guy and whats he have over on these team owners? Did they commit a crime and he knows where they hid the body?
He was TERRIBLE in Cleveland beyond belief - now looks like a complete mockery over there in KC. It's downright embarrassing.

Fire Arians
11-09-2012, 01:33 PM

i heard he's a real romeo with the ladies, though

jcxHNzpfWSo

Lady Steel
11-10-2012, 01:10 AM
:laughing:

IowaSteeler927
11-10-2012, 07:51 AM

I bet the Green Bay Packers and their fans all said that last year when Crennel took over and beat them. Any team can win on any given Sunday, Monday, or Thursday.... Also they almost beat us last year with Palko behind center. If not for a game clinching interception we might have lost the game.

ricardisimo
11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Hold your nose when these Chiefs play

BY SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2012/11/01/23/22/spfOT.Em.81.jpeg

Chiefs defensive end Tyson Jackson couldn't watch the final seconds of Thursday's loss.

SAN DIEGO -- Keep in mind...

The only drama left is whether the Chiefs will ever lead a game, ...

They haven’t held a lead in any part of their first eight games, the first team to be so thoroughly overmatched since at least 1929.

That’s nineteen-twenty-nine — the year of the (original) stock market crash. To give you an idea, in 1929, the NFL included teams in Frankford, Pa.; Staten Island, N.Y.; and Dayton, Ohio.

This is achievement of incompetence is at once both stunning and unfathomable. Even the winless Lions of 2008 managed a few leads. Actually, by this point in their flawlessly inept season, the Lions had leads in four games — including three in the fourth quarter. That team had occasional hope. This one squashes such silliness at every opportunity.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/02/3897097/sam-mellinger-hold-your-nose-when.html#storylink=cpy

Kansas City Chiefs Record (at least according to NFL.com): 1 - 7 - 0

Am I missing something? :huh:

sluggermatt15
11-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Kansas City is the worst team in the AFC. Matt Cassel has struggled and been injured. There is no consistent running game, etc. But let's not get too cocky. The last thing the Steelers want to do is look ahead to Baltimore and not play well in this game. They need to continue the great play from last week against NY, and hopefully the game will be over very soon. Good teams put away bad teams early in the game. IMO this is THE key for Pittsburgh on Monday night.

Steelerfreak58
11-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Umm guys don't forget UNLEASH HELL.... we tend to play down to teams levels. I know the last few weeks we have done some great stuff and they are one of the worst teams in the NFL but it is the NFL and any team any week can pull off upsets.

Hawaii 5-0
11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Romeo Crennel threatens his players with benchings for turnovers

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/crennel2.jpg?w=168

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel is sick and tired of his team leading the league in turnovers, and so he has a new rule: If you turn the ball over, you’re benched.

“I have to impart on them the importance of protecting the ball for this team,” Crennel said, “and sometimes to get that done, you basically have to threaten them. If you fumble it, I’m going to take you out of the game. And they will get the message.”

Crennel said the rule applies to interceptions, too, which puts quarterback Matt Cassel — who has thrown 11 interceptions and fumbled eight times this season, losing seven of them — on notice. But would it really be wise to bench Cassel for another turnover? After all, with Brady Quinn already ruled out of Monday’s game with a concussion, benching Cassel would mean turning to Ricky Stanzi, who has never played in a regular-season game.

When asked whether he would really bench Cassel, Crennel said he would — although he also gave himself some wiggle room.

“Yes, you can make a change there,” Crennel said, “but the thing is, you always have to know exactly what happened on the play and why it happened. If a receiver tips the ball up in the air, is that on the receiver or is that on the quarterback? I have to make that determination, so I’ll make the call. I’ll sit the receiver or I’ll sit the quarterback.”

Crennel also said he wouldn’t take the team’s best offensive playmaker, running back Jamaal Charles, off the field for too long after a fumble.

“Look, Jamaal Charles has fumbled the ball,” Crennel said. “So if he fumbles, and he stands over there with me for a little bit, then I put him back in, because he’s the guy who runs for a touchdown. But I have to try to put an emphasis on it, so I’m going to try to emphasize it and get them to understand the importance.”

If the Chiefs’ players don’t already understand the importance of not turning the ball over, threatening to briefly bench them probably won’t work. But at this point, Crennel is desperate enough to try anything.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/10/romeo-crennel-threatens-his-players-with-benchings-for-turnovers/

steve314
11-11-2012, 01:24 AM
The 2009 Steelers lost to the 2-7 Chiefs. This year's Steelers team has already lost to two bad teams. Hopefully it being a home Monday night game will offset the look-ahead-to-BAL/play-down-to-bad-teams factors.

bornaSteelersfan
11-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Steelers will make it a blow-out game. After scoring 28 points in the first half, they will begin to sit their starters. By the fourth quarter, Ben wil be sitting on the bench to give Leftwich a little playing time. Since this will be a short week to prepare for a big game against the Ravens, Ben will need to get it done early. This will also allow Leftwich some quality playing time in case Ben can't play against the Ravens due to his baby being born.

TRH
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
i wish i had a dollar for everytime i've heard people say "this game is going to be a blow-out" every time we've played a sad-sack team in the last few years..................

lipps83
11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
i wish i had a dollar for everytime i've heard people say "this game is going to be a blow-out" every time we've played a sad-sack team in the last few years..................

Right, and I think it has gotten to the point that I can count on two hands the times we have lost to sad-sack teams when the count SHOULD BE zero.

ChristianKustomz
11-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I was pretty hip to the idea of us beating KC but now I'm nervous. Whenever we play sub good and mediocre teams we go from being a great team to playing beneath ourselves into a self destructive game. I still think we will win but I would only hope we crush them like Baltimore did to Oakland 55-20.

Go Pittsburg!

maddog78
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM

Yeah, rain showers expected tonight, too. I'm expecting a close game. This team almost beat Baltimore, who also has a habit of playing down to opponents at times.

SteelersCanada
11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Have you guys seen what Chiefs fans are saying? Sure, there's the occasional "we're gonna upset 'em!" but it's mostly things like "keep it within 20 guys" and "we're going to get absolutely shit on". This is on their fanboards and twitter.

They know what's coming tonight.

Bayz101
11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
My friend is a Chiefs fan. I asked him if he was ready for the game. He said his asshole is ready. :sofunny:

SteelersCanada
11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Eric Mangini just took the Chiefs to win this game.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. I know forsure I'm shaking my head. But, it shouldn't come as a surprise I guess. The former coach / assistant of the Ravens, Jets, Patriots and Browns is going against the Steelers? I'm shocked and appalled.

steve314
11-12-2012, 09:15 PM
The 2009 Steelers lost to the 2-7 Chiefs. This year's Steelers team has already lost to two bad teams. Hopefully it being a home Monday night game will offset the look-ahead-to-BAL/play-down-to-bad-teams factors.

Totally predictable by the Steelers in a "trap" game. What do we expect from a team that keeps playing down to bad opponents? Playing a team that hadn't scored a 1st quarter TD in ages, hadn't had a lead in regulation all year, totally predictable.

White_Steel_Wolfe
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Well almost lost.